PDA

View Full Version : FCS SOS according to Massey

centennial
September 2nd, 2014, 01:02 PM
Thought it would be interesting to look at the numbers. I formatted it for easy reading.

Team
SoS

Team
SoS

South DakotaMissouri Valley

Delaware StMid-Eastern AC

UC DavisBig Sky

Incarnate WordFCS Indep

S Dakota StMissouri Valley

GramblingSouthwestern AC

Jacksonville StOH Valley

Morgan StMid-Eastern AC

Weber StBig Sky

Stony BrookColonial

SF AustinSouthland

E WashingtonBig Sky

Portland StBig Sky

VMIBig South

SamfordSouthern

FordhamPatriot League

Idaho StBig Sky

Alabama A&MSouthwestern AC

Cent ArkansasSouthland

Albany NYColonial

Northern IowaMissouri Valley

Holy CrossPatriot League

William & MaryColonial

DrakePioneer

LibertyBig South

E KentuckyOH Valley

WoffordSouthern

FurmanSouthern

ElonSouthern

TowsonColonial

E IllinoisOH Valley

GeorgetownPatriot League

DelawareColonial

MaineColonial

Indiana StMissouri Valley

Jackson StSouthwestern AC

NC CentralMid-Eastern AC

Monmouth NJFCS Indep

N Dakota StMissouri Valley

Sacred HeartNortheast

VillanovaColonial

Florida A&MMid-Eastern AC

PresbyterianBig South

BucknellPatriot League

James MadisonColonial

CS SacramentoBig Sky

New HampshireColonial

CampbellPioneer

North DakotaBig Sky

WagnerNortheast

TN MartinOH Valley

TX SouthernSouthwestern AC

Northern ArizonaBig Sky

SE LouisianaSouthland

Youngstown StMissouri Valley

NC A&TMid-Eastern AC

ColgatePatriot League

Houston BapFCS Indep

Southern UnivSouthwestern AC

San DiegoPioneer

Montana StBig Sky

DavidsonPioneer

Savannah StMid-Eastern AC

Illinois StMissouri Valley

Southern UtahBig Sky

YaleIvy League

Austin PeayOH Valley

PennIvy League

DuquesneNortheast

LehighPatriot League

JacksonvillePioneer

CornellIvy League

Central ConnNortheast

MS Valley StSouthwestern AC

MontanaBig Sky

PrincetonIvy League

Alabama StSouthwestern AC

LafayettePatriot League

HowardMid-Eastern AC

ButlerPioneer

ChattanoogaSouthern

DaytonPioneer

CitadelSouthern

BrownIvy League

W CarolinaSouthern

Rhode IslandColonial

HamptonMid-Eastern AC

N ColoradoBig Sky

Northwestern LASouthland

HarvardIvy League

Ark Pine BluffSouthwestern AC

DartmouthIvy League

Nicholls StSouthland

McNeese StSouthland

Norfolk StMid-Eastern AC

ColumbiaIvy League

Morehead StPioneer

S IllinoisMissouri Valley

Gardner WebbBig South

Prairie ViewSouthwestern AC

St Francis PANortheast

MercerPioneer

Cal Poly SLOBig Sky

S Carolina StMid-Eastern AC

ValparaisoPioneer

LamarSouthland

BryantNortheast

CharlotteFCS Indep

Robert MorrisNortheast

RichmondColonial

Sam Houston StSouthland

Tennessee TechOH Valley

Coastal CarBig South

W IllinoisMissouri Valley

MaristPioneer

SE Missouri StOH Valley

Abilene ChrFCS Indep

Murray StOH Valley

Bethune-CookmanMid-Eastern AC

Alcorn StSouthwestern AC

Missouri StMissouri Valley

Charleston SoBig South

Tennessee StOH Valley

StetsonPioneer

BEAR
September 2nd, 2014, 01:28 PM
Southland SOS= 60.

Middle of the pack.

( 6,10, 45,47, 56 59,63,88,90,90,114 )

PAllen
September 2nd, 2014, 01:37 PM
VMI is in the Southern not the Big South. I wonder what else he's failed to update.

Catatonic
September 2nd, 2014, 02:15 PM
VMI is in the Southern not the Big South. I wonder what else he's failed to update.

ACU is in the Southland and no longer an independent.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2014, 02:16 PM
I am more than a little confused. I assume this is after game 1?

centennial
September 2nd, 2014, 02:28 PM
I am more than a little confused. I assume this is after game 1?
Pre Season + 1st game. Yes.

darell1976
September 2nd, 2014, 02:28 PM
5 BSC in the top 25, tough way to start the year.

centennial
September 2nd, 2014, 02:36 PM
5 BSC in the top 25, tough way to start the year.
UC Davis 2
Weber St 5
Portland St 7
Idaho St 9
North Dakota 25
Weaker teams having more difficult schedules?

darell1976
September 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM
UC Davis 2
Weber St 5
Portland St 7
Idaho St 9
North Dakota 25

Of course money has a lot to with that.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 2nd, 2014, 02:45 PM
UC Davis 2
Weber St 5
Portland St 7
Idaho St 9
North Dakota 25

It's about 1/2 conference 1/2 FBS game. UNI has 2 FBS games, SDSU played Missouri, USD played Oregon and they all are in the MVFC so naturally they will be higher. If you had a FBS team, you were probably in the top vs those that didn't.

NDSU has the luxury of not having itself on the schedule.

centennial
September 2nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
It's about 1/2 conference 1/2 FBS game. UNI has 2 FBS games, SDSU played Missouri, USD played Oregon and they all are in the MVFC so naturally they will be higher. If you had a FBS team, you were probably in the top vs those that didn't.

Here are the SoS for AGS top 15

North Dakota State Bison

Eastern Washington Eagles

Southeastern Louisiana Lions

Northern Iowa Panthers

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

New Hampshire Wildcats

Villanova Wildcats

Montana Grizzlies

9T
Jacksonville State Gamecocks

9T
Fordham Rams

McNeese State Cowboys

South Dakota State Jackrabbits

Richmond Spiders

Furman Paladins

Chattanooga Mocs
859 41

I bolded the ones above 50th in FCS for SoS

Go Green
September 2nd, 2014, 02:55 PM
Massey thinks that every Ivy team has the same SOS?

xconfusedx

centennial
September 2nd, 2014, 02:58 PM
Massey thinks that every Ivy team has the same SOS?

xconfusedx
They are all slightly different but his algorithm clubs everyone within a certain range as a tie.

Go Green
September 2nd, 2014, 03:03 PM
They are all slightly different but his algorithm clubs everyone within a certain range as a tie.

Still find that hard to swallow.

Just as one of any examples, just compare Yale (Colgate, Lehigh, Army) with Princeton (Colgate, San Diego, Davidson).

In any event, not worth getting worked up over until midseason or so...

thebootfitter
September 2nd, 2014, 03:35 PM
In any event, not worth getting worked up over until midseason or so...
Exactly. This early in the season, you can't put much stock in the computer ratings, as there is not enough data to make them predictive enough. Will be fun to see how this shifts as conference games start getting under way.

clenz
September 2nd, 2014, 04:31 PM
UC Davis 2
Weber St 5
Portland St 7
Idaho St 9
North Dakota 25
They don't get to pad their schedules by playing themselves...

BEAR
September 2nd, 2014, 04:47 PM
Central Arkansas #10 SOS???? Really? I didn't think Texas Tech was that much better than UCA up to this point. xlolx

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2014, 12:02 AM
Colgate way ahead of the rest of the Patriot and Ivy in schedule strength.

GoAgs72
September 3rd, 2014, 12:14 AM
UC Davis at #2 is one reason why I think the team will be better this year but with a worse record. The AD should be questioned about scheduling Stanford and Colorado State in the same year but only an 11 game schedule. If you choose FBS opponents why not UNLV, Idaho or New Mexico State?

Skyhawk71
September 3rd, 2014, 06:41 AM
#26 in strength of schedule, will be the only #26 the Skyhawks see this season.............xbangx

BEAR
September 3rd, 2014, 08:19 AM
#26 in strength of schedule, will be the only #26 the Skyhawks see this season.............xbangx

Nope. You'll see him.

http://www.ucasports.com/images/2014/8/12/headshot_2_ene_prince_mug_2014.jpg #26 Prince Ene Position: DB
Height: 5-10
Weight: 190
Class: Sophomore
Hometown: Houston, Texas

High School: Two-Star recruit by both rivals.com and scout.com...ranked the No. 184 defensive back nationally by scout.com...had 33 total tackles, five passes broken up, and one fumble recovery during the 2011 season.

You can see more of his highlights here as he frustrated the Texas Tech running and passing game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFhfyPWtukE:

PAllen
September 3rd, 2014, 09:31 AM
Pre Season + 1st game. Yes.

And right there is the issue with all of these early season "scientific rankings". How do you determine a strength of schedule before any games have been played? You make a bunch of assumptions which you then carry through the season. As I've said many times, if you allow me to make one assumption unchallenged, I can prove to you that you are on Mars.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 3rd, 2014, 09:38 AM
And right there is the issue with all of these early season "scientific rankings". How do you determine a strength of schedule before any games have been played? You make a bunch of assumptions which you then carry through the season. As I've said many times, if you allow me to make one assumption unchallenged, I can prove to you that you are on Mars.

It's not terribly hard. Ivy/Patriot/SWAC/MEAC/Pioneer are weak. BSC/MVFC/CAA are strong. Southland/Big South/OVC are in the middle.

AmsterBison
September 3rd, 2014, 10:09 AM
It's not terribly hard. Ivy/Patriot/SWAC/MEAC/Pioneer are weak. BSC/MVFC/CAA are strong. Southland/Big South/OVC are in the middle.

I prefer to classify conferences by scientifically assigning them to an analogous sitcom and then assigning each team to a character in the conference's given show. It's foolproof as far as any of you know.

For example, the CAA is IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA. Villanova is Charlie because they're the wildcard; Rhode Island is Rickety Cricket; etc.

Sure, some shows are stronger than others but one character in a weak show can be stronger than another character on a stronger show. And that's where science needs to take over.

gotts
September 3rd, 2014, 10:13 AM
I prefer to classify conferences by scientifically assigning them to an analogous sitcom and then assigning each team to a character in the conference's given show. It's foolproof as far as any of you know.

For example, the CAA is IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA. Villanova is Charlie because they're the wildcard; Rhode Island is Rickety Cricket; etc.

Sure, some shows are stronger than others but one character in a weak show can be stronger than another character on a stronger show. And that's where science needs to take over.

I like where this is headed.

walliver
September 3rd, 2014, 10:16 AM

SOS is the Achilles' Heel of all computer rankings.
If you have a weak team in your conference, the other teams' SOS and eventual rankings are pulled down. The presence of a few weak conference mates does not in any way lessen the quality of the other teams, but the computer formulae have no way of assessing that.

If the Seattle Seahawks played an all PFL schedule, they would not appear high in the computer rankings, and back in the 16-team playoff era probably wouldn't make the play-offs. That doesn't change the fact that the Seattle Seahawks are very very much better than any college football team.

centennial
September 3rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
SOS is the Achilles' Heel of all computer rankings.
If you have a weak team in your conference, the other teams' SOS and eventual rankings are pulled down. The presence of a few weak conference mates does not in any way lessen the quality of the other teams, but the computer formulae have no way of assessing that.

If the Seattle Seahawks played an all PFL schedule, they would not appear high in the computer rankings, and back in the 16-team playoff era probably wouldn't make the play-offs. That doesn't change the fact that the Seattle Seahawks are very very much better than any college football team.
The Seattle Seahawks would beat every team 100-0 including the one FBS team and OOC, and easily win the FCS championship. They would easily be top 5 in the country. Would they deserve to be no.1- yes, but its not as bad as you are making it out to be. Every conference has a few weak teams- this includes the CAA, MVFC, MWC, MAC, B10 however, they are usually weak in comparison to the conference. For example South Dakota(7th, 8th MVFC) could win a few lower conferences. That would not be the case for PFL dungeon dweller.
In the end, schedule good teams and BEAT them. SoS means nothing without it beating the teams. For example in basketball there a few conferences with really high SoS (one is 28th out of 32), since they cannot beat their OOC they are ranked low.

OhioHen
September 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
In the end, schedule good teams and BEAT them. SoS means nothing without it beating the teams.

Strength of VICTORIES is much more meaningful than strength of schedule. Who did you beat? And who did those teams you beat beat?

Delaware's strength of schedule this year will be boosted because Pitt was on the schedule (to say the Hens "played" Pitt on Saturday is pushing the envelope, IMO). SoS is improved by losing 62-0 in this case, proving how worthless the concept is.

PAllen
September 3rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
Strength of VICTORIES is much more meaningful than strength of schedule. Who did you beat? And who did those teams you beat beat?

Delaware's strength of schedule this year will be boosted because Pitt was on the schedule (to say the Hens "played" Pitt on Saturday is pushing the envelope, IMO). SoS is improved by losing 62-0 in this case, proving how worthless the concept is.

Exactly.

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 02:21 PM
Exactly.

EASY to say when your team plays NOBODY.

tnbison
September 3rd, 2014, 02:25 PM

Love this.

whoanellie
September 3rd, 2014, 05:39 PM
VMI is in the Southern not the Big South. I wonder what else he's failed to update. As Elon is not in SoCon but CAA update your system Massey

Big Dawg
September 4th, 2014, 02:44 AM
FAMU's schedule is tough...we open the season with Jackson State(lost on a Hail Mary), Miami, 6th ranked Coastal Carolina, 14th ranked Tennessee State...then NCA&T, South Carolina State, and Bethune Cookman(who just beat FIU again) are lurking later in the season...I expect to BCU and SCSU to be ranked when we face them as well...maybe even A&T(especially if they knock off Coastal this weekend)

LUHawker
September 4th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Colgate way ahead of the rest of the Patriot and Ivy in schedule strength.

Simply because of its game against FBS Ball St. In fact, the entire SOS is highly skewed by the impact of FBS games.