PDA

View Full Version : wacky match-ups just to get a win.

whoanellie
September 1st, 2014, 05:06 PM
I am just wondering what type of power ranking Point U. has in their 3 game schedule? No doubt Charleston Southern tore down their goal posts in their 61-9 victory. Did PU go for 2 in their PAT?

congrats to Davidson in finding Faith / Charlotte getting that W and that 56-0 victory

Southeast Mo St. hung up 77 on Mizzou Baptist And I am sure Benedict feels betrayed by the 63 South Carolina St. inflicted on them.

It's all about money and football.....

woffordgrad94
September 1st, 2014, 05:34 PM
Wofford plays North Greenville and Virginia-Wise. To be fair, Wofford had originally scheduled Jacksonville (non scholly Pioneer League team but D-1 at least) and the Dolphins screwed WC over by backing out of the game. I also appreciate how it might be difficult for a school like Wofford to schedule non-conference games, particularly at home in Gibbs Stadium. But it's still frustrating to this fan/alumnist and I wish more could be done to find better opponents. With our schedule, we might have to win the SoCon to make the playoffs. I personally hate playing sub D-1 competition. I really would enjoy pummeling Davidson just once. xcoolx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2014, 06:05 PM
The SEMO Twitter feed called Missouri Baptist MoBap. This is apropos of nothing, except that I found it hilarious that Missouri Baptist not only was well known enough to have an acronym, but that that acronym was MoBap.

Skyhawk71
September 1st, 2014, 06:46 PM
They call themselves- MOBAP- "Shine On" is there catch phrase, along with "Jesus or Nothing"- man this whole time I thought SEMO waxed the D2 Southwest Baptist, which would have been a legit beat down, however, upon further review- not that impressed

MTfan4life
September 1st, 2014, 10:23 PM
I am just wondering what type of power ranking Point U. has in their 3 game schedule? No doubt Charleston Southern tore down their goal posts in their 61-9 victory. Did PU go for 2 in their PAT?

congrats to Davidson in finding Faith / Charlotte getting that W and that 56-0 victory

Southeast Mo St. hung up 77 on Mizzou Baptist And I am sure Benedict feels betrayed by the 63 South Carolina St. inflicted on them.

It's all about money and football.....

Benedict and SCSU are both South Carolina HBCUs. These two schools playing each other isn't the same as some of these other matchups.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2014, 06:41 AM
Benedict and SCSU are both South Carolina HBCUs. These two schools playing each other isn't the same as some of these other matchups.

Very good point.!

Cocky
September 2nd, 2014, 08:24 AM
Some teams have a tough time getting opponents. We are going to UTC twice to get one home game and Samford will not play us in reg season. So now we play UWA at home and last year Jacksonville U.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2014, 08:52 AM
Some teams have a tough time getting opponents. We are going to UTC twice to get one home game and Samford will not play us in reg season. So now we play UWA at home and last year Jacksonville U.

The good news is (at least for me) is that we get to play again in the not to distant future.

woffordgrad94
September 2nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
I think a Wofford-Jax State nonconference matchup would be an example of very good scheduling.

TTUEagles
September 2nd, 2014, 05:16 PM
I think a Wofford-Jax State nonconference matchup would be an example of very good scheduling.
Wofford and TTU have a home-and-home coming up in the not-to-distant future...

Yotes
September 2nd, 2014, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to say that all these schools scheduled lower conference teams just to get a win, sometimes it's just too tough to find a full slate of D-1 opponents. This year USD is hosting an NAIA school, and SDSU is hosting a D-3 school, I can assure you neither school's AD and fanbase are thrilled about that.

bonarae
September 2nd, 2014, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to say that all these schools scheduled lower conference teams just to get a win, sometimes it's just too tough to find a full slate of D-1 opponents. This year USD is hosting an NAIA school, and SDSU is hosting a D-3 school, I can assure you neither school's AD and fanbase are thrilled about that.

I don't know why the Ivies are reluctant to schedule quality D2 like New Haven or even D3 NEFC teams, or is there a/an written or unwritten rule prohibiting such?

Go Green
September 2nd, 2014, 08:40 PM
I don't know why the Ivies are reluctant to schedule quality D2 like New Haven or even D3 NEFC teams, or is there a/an written or unwritten rule prohibiting such?

Nope. Ivy teams have played D-II and D-III teams in the past.

Granted, it was all in the 1980s. Since then it's been all D-I (at least in name).

Thumper 76
September 2nd, 2014, 09:10 PM

Amen to that. But as an SDSU fan we cant really gripe about the quality of competition on our schedules with the majority of the years being considered to be one of the toughest in the land in general. Our schedule next year is pretty much exactly what I wish we had every year. An FBS, a quality FCS, and a warm up/tune up FCS.

woffordgrad94
September 2nd, 2014, 10:45 PM
Wofford and TTU have a home-and-home coming up in the not-to-distant future...
That sounds great! I'll look forward to it. Next year we have two FBS games scheduled, Clemson (for the big check) and Idaho. Playing the Vandals is definitely better than playing a D-2, and I think we have a shot to win that one. I would like to see us renew our rivalry with SC State. Those were great games that were well attended. Other teams I'd like to see Wofford schedule are Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Richmond, William & Mary, Jacksonville State, NC A&T, and any Ivy League team. I wouldn't actually mind seeing App or GSU pop up again one day, although I kind of doubt either of them would want to schedule Wofford in the near future.

PAllen
September 3rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Sorry folks, but I have a really hard time feeling sorry for teams that constantly play money games against FBS schools (with no hope of a return date), then complaining about not being able to fill the home schedule. Robust home and home arrangements come from years of commitment to playing each other, not dumping opponents to jump at a money game. Sure it's tough to fill a hole when a team dumps you for a money game at the 11th hour, but you do much the same, so I don't see much room for complaining.

walliver
September 3rd, 2014, 09:53 AM
Most FCS schools have scheduling challenges, many of them geographic, some of them political, and mostly economic.

Only a handful of FCS programs sell-out their stadia and command premium pricing. For everybody else, travel expenses become an issue with home-and-home series and geography becomes a major issue (bus trip vs plane ride). In some parts of the country available FCS teams are limited - Big Sky country is an obvious example, but even in more densely populated areas there are issues. Big South teams for example, tend to play 6 or 7 OOC games to start the season and then play a 5 game conference schedule. Unfortunately for them, after the 3d or 4th week, most other FCS teams have already started their conference schedules and are unavailable.

There is also the issue that many teams choose not to play triple option teams because it makes little sense to prepare for an offense a team will only see once.

I'm not excusing our poor schedule. UVA-Wise was unavoidable due Jacksonville backing out, but most fans would have rather seen PC, or CSU, or even CCU instead of North Greenville and UVA-Wise.

On the other hand, I snicker at "all D-I" schedules that include PFL teams. Stetson and Davidson would finish at the bottom of many D2 conferences.

bonarae
September 3rd, 2014, 07:31 PM
Most FCS schools have scheduling challenges, many of them geographic, some of them political, and mostly economic.

Only a handful of FCS programs sell-out their stadia and command premium pricing. For everybody else, travel expenses become an issue with home-and-home series and geography becomes a major issue (bus trip vs plane ride). In some parts of the country available FCS teams are limited - Big Sky country is an obvious example, but even in more densely populated areas there are issues. Big South teams for example, tend to play 6 or 7 OOC games to start the season and then play a 5 game conference schedule. Unfortunately for them, after the 3d or 4th week, most other FCS teams have already started their conference schedules and are unavailable.

On the other hand, I snicker at "all D-I" schedules that include PFL teams. Stetson and Davidson would finish at the bottom of many D2 conferences.

The Ivies are aware of these issues and these issues make their scheduling more problematic and also restrictive as well. Scheduling cellar PL and most PFL teams are definitely a step down from the 1980's. (Second paragraph)

Makes sense to me to see more games like Army-Yale on the Ivies' schedule. But will New Haven open up to a D-I opponent? Or should the Ivies make their scheduling more compliant with the rest of FCS to even see games like New Haven-Yale or even Chicago-Harvard? xchinscratchx

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2014, 10:06 PM
Nope. Ivy teams have played D-II and D-III teams in the past.

Granted, it was all in the 1980s. Since then it's been all D-I (at least in name).

You play a DINO every year... Columbia.