PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Stats, History, Tidbits

@AGSFCS
September 1st, 2014, 12:47 PM
Supe, gentlemen from the Poll committee, we'd love your input on some old awesome facts about the AGS Top 25 poll. If you have any great insights from behind the curtain, how accurate the poll has been, whose been the top team in the poll for so many weeks, etc. PLEASE post them here. The FCS wedge is going to be using some of these stats in press releases, etc.

Thanks for the help everyone.

superman7515
September 1st, 2014, 01:27 PM
No offense intended, but it may be easier if you ask me for specific details and I can send you the info you want. I have a bunch of "useless" trivia about the poll that I've worked up in my history file, but how much your folks would find interesting is debatable. I'm like the AGS version of Stats Inc, you just gotta let me know what you want.

citdog
September 1st, 2014, 01:33 PM
No offense intended, but it may be easier if you ask me for specific details and I can send you the info you want. I have a bunch of "useless" trivia about the poll that I've worked up in my history file, but how much your folks would find interesting is debatable. I'm like the AGS version of Stats Inc, you just gotta let me know what you want.

How many years has the AGS Poll been more accurate than the TSN and Coaches Poll in predicting the at large berths to the playoffs?

dungeonjoe
September 1st, 2014, 01:36 PM
Who has the longest tenure as a contributor to the poll?

superman7515
September 1st, 2014, 01:47 PM

There are quite a few people who have been around since the beginning, but 89hen is probably the longest tenured as far as individuals who are still active on here and who were working behind the scenes when things first got rolling.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 1st, 2014, 01:48 PM

Hmm, that would be a tough one because I don't have any info. preceding when I took over. I'd imagine it is a Blue Hen though. zlolz

superman7515
September 1st, 2014, 01:50 PM
How many years has the AGS Poll been more accurate than the TSN and Coaches Poll in predicting the at large berths to the playoffs?

The problem with this one is that TSN only archives their final poll, so I've never had the time to go article by article through their past polls to find the one from the week before playoff selections. If they archived all of their polls in the way I have done with the AGS poll, it would be much simpler. I'll try to get this to you soon, but it's going to take some time as they only tout their final product, not the work done to get there.

IBleedYellow
September 1st, 2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks Supe, always a hard working guy.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 1st, 2014, 02:04 PM
The problem with this one is that TSN only archives their final poll, so I've never had the time to go article by article through their past polls to find the one from the week before playoff selections. If they archived all of their polls in the way I have done with the AGS poll, it would be much simpler. I'll try to get this to you soon, but it's going to take some time as they only tout their final product, not the work done to get there.

Maybe a couple of guys could help supe out with this. If you'd like to help us plese contact him and he can direct as to what to do.

bjtheflamesfan
September 1st, 2014, 02:17 PM
Ive been around for a while...

ursus arctos horribilis
September 1st, 2014, 02:27 PM
Ive been around for a while...

yes? Is that an offer to do some research for supey? If so maybe find the articles he's looking for and serve him up some links? If you look at what hes done you'd be able to find dates probably matching when aritcles would have been released for the most part.

bjtheflamesfan
September 1st, 2014, 02:52 PM
Sure...give me some use for my stat hound tendencies since I don't have as many little bits to find on Liberty these days

ursus arctos horribilis
September 1st, 2014, 03:32 PM
Sure...give me some use for my stat hound tendencies since I don't have as many little bits to find on Liberty these days

Ok, well let supey know if you find some penultimate links for their poll. Hell those threads are probably already on AGS anyway going way, way back as it is.

Gil Dobie
September 2nd, 2014, 09:11 AM
This is the earlies poll that I could find, the older ones might be archived. I remember with Ralph and 89Hen started the poll. I know it was around in 2006, because I didn't think I would be voting for a couple weeks, but I managed to vote. I think I have missed once since it started.

A (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?28694-Any-Given-Saturday-Poll-9-3-2007&highlight=poll+results)GS Poll 9/3/2007 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?28694-Any-Given-Saturday-Poll-9-3-2007&highlight=poll+results)

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
9/3/2007
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Appalachian St. (97)
2. Montana
3. North Dakota St.
4. Massachusetts
5. Northern Iowa
6. New Hampshire
7. Youngstown St.
8. Furman
9. McNeese St.
10. Southern Illinois
11. James Madison
12. Wofford
13. Delaware
14. Hampton
15. Eastern Illinois
16. Cal Poly
17. Tennessee-Martin
18. Sam Houston St.
19. Portland St.
20. Yale
21. Nicholls St.
22. Texas St.
23. Illinois St.
24. Lehigh
25. Montana St.

superman7515
September 2nd, 2014, 09:35 AM
UAH used to have a bar on the page that linked to the spreadsheet I put together, but it disappeared some time over the summer. Here's a link to his copy of the spreadsheet (mine is being worked on because I have to add Week 1 in and re-add the points at the end) which has all the info through the end of last season.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At367yhHwedudFI0YnNjSW1uOFpmWFV6MUhyc0l5Q Wc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

superman7515
September 2nd, 2014, 09:42 AM
Trivia: In the inaugural preseason poll, the Southern Jaguars were ranked #25... They've never been ranked again.

BisonFan02
September 2nd, 2014, 09:57 AM
This is the earlies poll that I could find, the older ones might be archived. I remember with Ralph and 89Hen started the poll. I know it was around in 2006, because I didn't think I would be voting for a couple weeks, but I managed to vote. I think I have missed once since it started.

A (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?28694-Any-Given-Saturday-Poll-9-3-2007&highlight=poll+results)GS Poll 9/3/2007 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?28694-Any-Given-Saturday-Poll-9-3-2007&highlight=poll+results)

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
9/3/2007
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Appalachian St. (97)
2. Montana
3. North Dakota St.
4. Massachusetts
5. Northern Iowa
6. New Hampshire
7. Youngstown St.
8. Furman
9. McNeese St.
10. Southern Illinois
11. James Madison
12. Wofford
13. Delaware
14. Hampton
15. Eastern Illinois
16. Cal Poly
17. Tennessee-Martin
18. Sam Houston St.
19. Portland St.
20. Yale
21. Nicholls St.
22. Texas St.
23. Illinois St.
24. Lehigh
25. Montana St.

Lehigh is too high

bluehenbillk
September 2nd, 2014, 10:00 AM
89 was around at the start - I think I've been a part of the poll from Day 1 as well back when Ralph used to run things. Citdog I responded to your PM.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2014, 01:49 PM
UAH used to have a bar on the page that linked to the spreadsheet I put together, but it disappeared some time over the summer. Here's a link to his copy of the spreadsheet (mine is being worked on because I have to add Week 1 in and re-add the points at the end) which has all the info through the end of last season.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At367yhHwedudFI0YnNjSW1uOFpmWFV6MUhyc0l5Q Wc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

I don't know wtf is going with damn blue skin. The poll thing showed up Mon. after poll closed then I went and switched it back to the normal History bar which now won't show up on blue but is on all the oher skins.

It's pissing me off.

wapiti
September 2nd, 2014, 02:34 PM
I don't know wtf is going with damn blue skin. The poll thing showed up Mon. after poll closed then I went and switched it back to the normal History bar which now won't show up on blue but is on all the oher skins.

It's pissing me off.

It must be Bobcat Blue to piss you off that much. :D

BisonBacker
September 2nd, 2014, 02:38 PM
Lehigh is too high

xlolx

BisonBacker
September 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM

It's pissing me off.

Ursus not to ask a stupid question as I'm sure you already checked on this but if the link appears to be gone is it really gone or is it just the font color against the backdrop of the blue skin makes it appear its gone but its really there you just can't see it due to the font color??? Flame suit on for asking the obvious xthumbsupx

superman7515
September 2nd, 2014, 04:07 PM
Ursus not to ask a stupid question as I'm sure you already checked on this but if the link appears to be gone is it really gone or is it just the font color against the backdrop of the blue skin makes it appear its gone but its really there you just can't see it due to the font color??? Flame suit on for asking the obvious xthumbsupx

I actually thought that myself, so I left clicked with the mouse and dragged it down across the screen to see if the link was hiding somewhere; suffice to say it is gone. I didn't realize it was only with this background though.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2014, 04:15 PM
I actually thought that myself, so I left clicked with the mouse and dragged it down across the screen to see if the link was hiding somewhere; suffice to say it is gone. I didn't realize it was only with this background though.

It will show up. It was there before obviously. It's the damndest thing because the skins are all linked, what you do to one goes out to all of them. In fact the main one you fix is the default (blue) and then it trickles down from there.

I do not get it but you watch in a day or two I bet the black "Historical" image shows up just like it has been up on all the other skins since yesterday morning when I changed it. It's like it's some weird propagation thing on the blue.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2014, 04:16 PM

I'll take any ideas my man. That ain't a dumb one at all.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2014, 04:17 PM
I just switched to Griz color and it's there and fine so maybe it's time to just switch default anyway.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2014, 04:43 PM
Needed a place to sit this til I can come back to it for looking up old TSN polls.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/search.php?searchid=569167&pp=&page=5

superman7515
September 2nd, 2014, 10:44 PM
Anyway, looks like the Wayback Machine has prospects...

Final regular season AGS poll 2005:

Week 12 - 11/21/2005

#1 New Hampshire Wildcats (34)

#2 Appalachian State Mountaineers (2)

#3 Furman Paladins

#4 Hampton Pirates (2)

#5 Texas State Bobcats

#6 Northern Iowa Panthers

#7 Georgia Southern Eagles

#8 Montana Grizzlies

#9 Southern Illinois Salukis

#10 Cal Poly Mustangs

#11 Richmond Spiders

#12 Eastern Washington Eagles

#13 Youngstown State Penguins

#14 Eastern Illinois Panthers

#15 Brown Bears

#16 Montana State Bobcats

#17 Nicholls State Colonels

#18 Grambling State Tigers

#19 Massachusetts Minutemen

#20 South Carolina State Bulldogs

#21 Illinois State Redbirds

#22 Colgate Raiders

#23 Lehigh Mountain Hawks

#24 Lafayette Leopards

#25 North Dakota State Bison

Final TSN regular season poll:

Week 12 - 11/21/2005

New Hampshire Wildcats

Hampton Pirates

Furman Paladins

Texas State Bobcats

Appalachian State Mountaineers

Georgia Southern Eagles

Northern Iowa Panthers

Southern Illinois Salukis

Montana Grizzlies

Cal Poly Mustangs

Grambling State Tigers

Richmond Spiders

Youngstown State Penguins

South Carolina State Bulldogs

Eastern Washington Eagles

Brown Bears

Montana State Bobcats

Massachusetts Minutemen

Eastern Illinois Panthers

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

Nicholls State Colonels

Lehigh Mountain Hawks

Illinois State Redbirds

Colgate Raiders

Lafayette Leopards

Obviously not counting Ivy or SWAC teams against either poll.

Both polls missed on Lafayette & Colgate (that's right, three Patriot teams in a 16 team playoff), TSN also missed on Eastern Illinois and Nicholls State.

superman7515
September 2nd, 2014, 10:47 PM
Anyway, I'll keep working on it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdHlWRmhnSWFTNjR3eWhXNUFDSjJsa 3c&usp=sharing

One of the tabs on the bottom near the end of the spreadsheet is Final Regular Season Poll Comparisons. As I get the information, I will update that tab.

dewey
September 2nd, 2014, 10:58 PM
Here is a link to the final 2010 TSN poll.
http://www.gobison.com/news/2011/1/10/66425.aspx?path=football

Here is a link to the 2007 final coaches poll.
http://www.gobison.com/news/2007/12/18/23094.aspx?path=football

Here is a link to the 2006 preseason TSN top 25 poll.
http://www.gobison.com/news/2006/8/7/99424.aspx?path=football

Here is a link to the final 2006 TSN top 25 poll.
http://www.gobison.com/news/2006/12/18/88364.aspx?path=football

NDSU appears to have done a good job of archiving articles and a lot of them are where NDSU ranked in the polls along with the complete poll.

Hope this helps.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2014, 02:37 AM
Man, when people start working together on this **** it gets knocked out pretty quickly.

Friggin awesome.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2014, 05:12 PM
I just switched to Griz color and it's there and fine so maybe it's time to just switch default anyway.

Well, went back to the blue last night and look what shows up today. The old hide & seek bar.

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2014, 06:24 PM
Of all the teams in FCS, what percentage have made an appearance in the AGS Top 25? And what percentage have made an appearance in the ORV?

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2014, 06:28 PM
A bit of personal trivia: NDSU's current "run" started in 2011. I believe twentysix and I were the first two people on AGS to vote NDSU number one.

If NDSU were a stock... I'd be as rich as... a North Dakota oilman (er, I mean North Dakota STATE oilman)... :D

Bisonator
September 3rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
A bit of personal trivia: NDSU's current "run" started in 2011. I believe twentysix and I were the first two people on AGS to vote NDSU number one.

If NDSU were a stock... I'd be as rich as... a North Dakota oilman (er, I mean North Dakota STATE oilman)... :D

Good save!xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2014, 07:14 PM

I was at the game when they lost to Youngstown State in 2011. I don't remember if the Bison were #1 by then? I believe they've lost one other home game, Indiana State of all teams, since then....

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2014, 07:20 PM
I was at the game when they lost to Youngstown State in 2011. I don't remember if the Bison were #1 by then? I believe they've lost one other home game, Indiana State of all teams, since then....

I think they were #1 at the time, since they beat Minnesota earlier in the year, but NDSU climbed back to number one shortly thereafter. They have not been #1 for 50+ straight weeks, but no lower than #5.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2014, 07:41 PM
I think they were #1 at the time, since they beat Minnesota earlier in the year, but NDSU climbed back to number one shortly thereafter. They have not been #1 for 50+ straight weeks, but no lower than #5.

I think they were #1 heading into the playoffs iirc. I feel very fortunate to have seen them play during the course of this run. Definitely a bit of history, even more so because they lost xsmiley_wix

superman7515
September 3rd, 2014, 08:28 PM
North Dakota State received their first #1 vote on September 12, 2005. If I recall correctly, they weren't even eligible yet at the time.

superman7515
September 3rd, 2014, 08:43 PM
Of all the teams in FCS, what percentage have made an appearance in the AGS Top 25? And what percentage have made an appearance in the ORV?

There are 124 teams in the FCS this year, 87 have appeared in the AGS Top 25 at least once (70.2%).

8 teams who are no longer with us have appeared in the AGS Top 25: Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, Massachusetts, Northeastern, Old Dominion, Texas State, & Western Kentucky.

5 of those teams were in the Inaugural Top 25 poll in August 2004, meaning we've lost 20% of the first poll: #9 Georgia Southern, #14 Western Kentucky, #18 Massachusetts, #19 Appalachian State, & #23 Northeastern.

To the best of my knowledge, the full ORV wasn't tracked until UAH started giving me copies of the full results under our current agreement where only the point totals for the Top 40 are distributed. Prior to that, for the vast majority of the poll, only the Top 25 teams were listed. I would be guessing at best if I gave you any kind of number.

The Pioneer Football League is the only conference to never have a team ranked in the pre-season poll.

melloware13
September 3rd, 2014, 08:57 PM
I have a question that has modern influence (I guess). So I understand that a team in Year 1 of the FCS-FBS transition is not eligible for the poll, since they aren't eligible for the playoffs due to the partial increase in scholarships. However, when do teams become eligible for the poll on the other end of the spectrum (either as a start up or coming from D-II). Specific examples: Mercer and Stetson were full DI members, and are in conferences that have auto bids, and are in their second full season (Houston Baptist last season wasn't full, so they're a year behind), so is there a timeline until they're eligible for our poll (and the playoffs)? Not that if they are I'd put any of them in next week, but they could earn it down the road. I found that ODU was eligible for an at-large to the playoffs (as an independent) in their second season, so that'd mean that Mercer and Stetson are eligible for the playoffs this year unless the NCAA rules have changed since 2010.

superman7515
September 3rd, 2014, 09:21 PM
I have a question that has modern influence (I guess). So I understand that a team in Year 1 of the FCS-FBS transition is not eligible for the poll, since they aren't eligible for the playoffs due to the partial increase in scholarships. However, when do teams become eligible for the poll on the other end of the spectrum (either as a start up or coming from D-II). Specific examples: Mercer and Stetson were full DI members, and are in conferences that have auto bids, and are in their second full season (Houston Baptist last season wasn't full, so they're a year behind), so is there a timeline until they're eligible for our poll (and the playoffs)? Not that if they are I'd put any of them in next week, but they could earn it down the road. I found that ODU was eligible for an at-large to the playoffs (as an independent) in their second season, so that'd mean that Mercer and Stetson are eligible for the playoffs this year unless the NCAA rules have changed since 2010.

As far as I know: Mercer, Stetson, and Incarnate Word are playoff eligible this year; Houston Baptist next year; Abilene Christian in 2016. There was a discussion on their poll eligibility earlier this summer, but I don't recall the thread, that would be an Ursus question.

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2014, 09:31 PM
There are 124 teams in the FCS this year, 87 have appeared in the AGS Top 25 at least once (70.2%).

8 teams who are no longer with us have appeared in the AGS Top 25: Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, Massachusetts, Northeastern, Old Dominion, Texas State, & Western Kentucky.

5 of those teams were in the Inaugural Top 25 poll in August 2004, meaning we've lost 20% of the first poll: #9 Georgia Southern, #14 Western Kentucky, #18 Massachusetts, #19 Appalachian State, & #23 Northeastern.

To the best of my knowledge, the full ORV wasn't tracked until UAH started giving me copies of the full results under our current agreement where only the point totals for the Top 40 are distributed. Prior to that, for the vast majority of the poll, only the Top 25 teams were listed. I would be guessing at best if I gave you any kind of number.

The Pioneer Football League is the only conference to never have a team ranked in the pre-season poll.

Wow! That's all interesting... so 37 teams have never been ranked in the top 25?

Not surprising about the Pioneer League. Only San Diego ever from that league? Or maybe Dayton too?

I know Georgetown, Bucknell, Dartmouth, Columbia, Cornell have never been in the Top 25...

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2014, 09:58 PM
North Dakota State received their first #1 vote on September 12, 2005. If I recall correctly, they weren't even eligible yet at the time.

I wasn't part of it at the time but they would have been eligible under current administrations guidelines I think. They were eligible for the GW title so they would be eligible here. Obviously they were not eligible for playoffs at that time but it is an either/or with the current AGS Poll.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2014, 10:03 PM
As far as I know: Mercer, Stetson, and Incarnate Word are playoff eligible this year; Houston Baptist next year; Abilene Christian in 2016. There was a discussion on their poll eligibility earlier this summer, but I don't recall the thread, that would be an Ursus question.

Didn't even see this when already sort of answering this question with the NDSU #1 vote thing. You have it right though. If the conference or the NCAA considers them eligible for titles then AGS does as well. If not we wait until they do.

JMUNJ08
September 3rd, 2014, 10:54 PM
Wow! That's all interesting... so 37 teams have never been ranked in the top 25?

Not surprising about the Pioneer League. Only San Diego ever from that league? Or maybe Dayton too?

I know Georgetown, Bucknell, Dartmouth, Columbia, Cornell have never been in the Top 25...

I would say 10 others would be the SWAC but a few have made the poll. Guessing at least 5/6 though from there

MEAC and Pioneer to make up a bunch of the rest.

Only current CAA member not to make it in that time has to be URI...

mvemjsunpx
September 4th, 2014, 04:41 AM

Houston Baptist is eligible this year. http://www.southland.org/standings.aspx?standings=17&path=football

UIW & ACU are second-year transitionals. Doesn't that mean they'll be eligible in 2017?

superman7515
September 4th, 2014, 06:02 AM

Abilene Christian
Alcorn State
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Austin Peay
Bryant
Bucknell
Butler
Campbell
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Davidson
Duquesne
Georgetown
Houston Baptist
Howard
Incarnate Word
Iona
Lamar
La Salle
Marist
Mercer
Mississippi Valley State
Missouri State
Morehead State
Morgan State
Murray State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central
Presbyterian
Rhode Island
Sacred Heart
Saint Francis
Saint Peter's
Savannah State
Stetson
Texas Southern
Valparaiso
VMI

813Jag
September 4th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Trivia: In the inaugural preseason poll, the Southern Jaguars were ranked #25... They've never been ranked again.
Averaging 5.5 wins over that span will keep a team off ballots. Another fact, Southern has never been on my ballot.

superman7515
September 4th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Averaging 5.5 wins over that span will keep a team off ballots. Another fact, Southern has never been on my ballot.

Just thought it was one of those odd things. Over the decade the poll has been running, they have one point, and it was the very first poll that gave it to them.

813Jag
September 4th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Just thought it was one of those odd things. Over the decade the poll has been running, they have one point, and it was the very first poll that gave it to them.
I got where you were coming from, I was just taking a shot at the Jags and how they've fallen. I wonder who that person was.

aceinthehole
September 4th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Iona
La Salle
Saint Peter's

And 3 of those schools no longer have a football program.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Rhode Island wasn't ranked in 2005? I remember when they started 3-0 against Fordham, CCSU and W&M (Semifinalist the previous year) there was a good amount of buzz around them. The Rams ended up 4-7. Most of the losses were very close...

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2014, 05:36 PM

Indeed... RIP. And St. John's... RIP 2002.

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Sacred Heart should be ranked right now and they should have been last year. Two All-Americans, scholarships... c'mon 23-25 won't kill your ballot's respectability.

citdog
September 4th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Sacred Heart should be ranked right now and they should have been last year. Two All-Americans, scholarships... c'mon 23-25 won't kill your ballot's respectability.

No they shouldn't. Do they need a pity vote or some kind of affirmative action?

superman7515
September 4th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Yeah, I just keep them on the list because they were eligible at some point during the AGS Poll, just as I leave the teams that did receive votes but are no longer around for various reasons on there.

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I just keep them on the list because they were eligible at some point during the AGS Poll, just as I leave the teams that did receive votes but are no longer around for various reasons on there.

St. Mary's was axed before AGS?

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2014, 09:00 PM
No they shouldn't. Do they need a pity vote or some kind of affirmative action?

Ok, but given the teams that usually make the 23-25 range, Sacred Heart deserves a spot.

superman7515
September 4th, 2014, 09:01 PM
St. Mary's was axed before AGS?

Final season was 2003, the poll started in 2004.

superman7515
September 4th, 2014, 09:06 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/A-quiet-fall-Few-miss-football-at-St-Mary-s-2636371.php

A quiet fall: Few miss football at St. Mary's

Ron Kroichick, Chronicle Staff Writer

Published 4:00 am, Sunday, November 14, 2004

Jonathan Sanders (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fkroichick&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Jonathan+Sanders%22) notices the football team's absence when he walks through campus. Sanders, a 6-foot-7 senior on St. Mary's rising basketball team, stands out even more than he did in the past.

"There are not a lot of big people around school," he said.

Amaya Zabala (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fkroichick&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Amaya+Zabala%22) and Jenny Barbera (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fkroichick&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Jenny+Barbera%22) notice it when they get dressed for practice or pay their tuition. Zabala and Barbera play soccer for the Gaels. This season, they received new cleats, new rain jackets and more scholarship money.

"It's nice to feel like a Division I athlete," Barbera said.

This fall brought a new reality to St. Mary's College (http://www.sfgate.com/education-guide/): no football for the first time in 38 years. The school dropped its Division I-AA program in March, leaving coaches to scramble for jobs and players to either transfer or tackle life without helmets and shoulder pads.

More than eight months later, Saturdays unfold quietly on the Moraga campus, with no tailgate parties and no games inside the picturesque, tree- ringed stadium. St. Mary's briefly moved its soccer games into the football stadium earlier this season. Those games soon returned to their former venues on the other side of campus, when two unsavory problems surfaced on the field: fungus and gophers.

As the stadium sits empty, with onetime Gaels football players now at Boston College (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fkroichick&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Boston+College%22)and UNLV and Sacramento State, students at St. Mary's move forward. An informal campus survey found little outrage about attending a football-less school, and widespread approval of the expanding budgets for other sports.

Those budgets were at the heart of the decision to eliminate football, a sport with a rich tradition at St. Mary's. The Gaels won the 1939 Cotton Bowl and played in the Sugar Bowl in '46, but the program was abandoned for 16 years (1951-66) and became more expensive as other I-AA schools in the West gave up football. St. Mary's staggered to a 1-11 record last season.

Now, with football gone, athletic director Carl Clapp (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fkroichick&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Carl+Clapp%22) sits on a pile of money earmarked for the school's other 14 intercollegiate teams, plus recreational sports programs. Clapp put the total annual football budget at $1. 2 million; so far St. Mary's has re-allocated about $150,000, or half of football's operations budget. Clapp said more money is slated for distribution next July 1.