PDA

View Full Version : Look at Charleston Southern's schedule

JSUBison
September 1st, 2014, 01:58 AM
I anticipate much xbangx among everyone in trying to figure just where the heck to place these guys this season, provided they win of course. Check it out, they got 2 sub DI's, a non scholly Pioneer team, 2 FBS games, and a game against Charlotte who is either FCS Indy or FBS transitional.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2127/charleston-southern-buccaneers

rokamortis
September 1st, 2014, 06:41 AM
I anticipate much xbangx among everyone in trying to figure just where the heck to place these guys this season, provided they win of course. Check it out, they got 2 sub DI's, a non scholly Pioneer team, 2 FBS games, and a game against Charlotte who is either FCS Indy or FBS transitional.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2127/charleston-southern-buccaneers

It is a laughable schedule for anyone who wants to have a shot at the playoffs. They'd have to go 11-1 just to sniff an at-large. Any one of the issues are not good but all three are ridiculous: 1 sub-DI game is bad but 2 is horrible, 2 money games is laughable, and 1 non-scholarship is less than ideal. I think Charlotte will be decent but will be difficult for people to quantify on how to rank a win / loss since they are new and transitioning to FBS so their recruiting could be an advantage over FCS schools.

bonarae
September 1st, 2014, 07:56 AM
This schedule is the worst schedule of any playoff-eligible full-scholly FCS team this year... a SWAC team's average schedule is the closest thing you can similarly find... xsmhx

TexasTerror
September 1st, 2014, 08:35 AM
These scheduling problems seem to exist for Chuck South and/or another Big South team annually. A Big South auto bid is the only way they are getting into the playoffs and that means they have to navigate the "usual thorns in the side".

SU DOG
September 1st, 2014, 08:48 AM
I'm not so sure that it isn't actually better than Samford's. xembarrassedx We only have 11 games, play 2 sub D1s, and 2 unwinnable FBS money games. That means ONE LOSS in the SoCon and we are history for the season. After our playoff debacle last year it might be a long shot to expect an at-large bid anyway, but this schedule assures it - unless we run the conference. Hate to knock my own school, but IMO, this schedule really sucks.
http://www.samfordsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

CoastalFan2005
September 1st, 2014, 09:13 AM

This is nothing surprising. CSU's scheduling has been the laughing stock of the conference for a while. I believe they played an away game at a D3 school not too long ago. Inexcusable.

CoastalFan2005
September 1st, 2014, 09:20 AM
These scheduling problems seem to exist for Chuck South and/or another Big South team annually. A Big South auto bid is the only way they are getting into the playoffs and that means they have to navigate the "usual thorns in the side".

Not really, though. CCU has played less than 10 sub-D1 games in our history, the last two of which were in 2011 and 2007. It's not that hard to get a full D1 schedule, even if you have to fill it with three straight MEAC teams to do so.

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2014, 09:27 AM
Wofford schedule this year is problematic in playing 2 sub-FCS teams but the only reason it's a thing is because Jacksonville pulled out of our game.

With that said, playing 2 sub-FCS and 2 "Big 5" FBS teams is a really really bad idea for a single season

rokamortis
September 1st, 2014, 09:29 AM
I'm not so sure that it isn't actually better than Samford's. xembarrassedx We only have 11 games, play 2 sub D1s, and 2 unwinnable FBS money games. That means ONE LOSS in the SoCon and we are history for the season. After our playoff debacle last year it might be a long shot to expect an at-large bid anyway, but this schedule assures it - unless we run the conference. Hate to knock my own school, but IMO, this schedule really sucks.
http://www.samfordsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

Yeah, that's a stinker too. :D

CSU still has a non-scholly and the FBS-transitional team so perhaps it is a wash.

Samford plays in the SoCon so you will get more respect that way, but I'm not sure it is noticeably stronger than the Big South.

CSU18
September 1st, 2014, 09:33 AM
Couldn't agree more with the schedule. For whatever reason the schedule has always looked somewhat like this, although in years past, we've never dominated the lower division teams the way we did Thursday night.

SU DOG
September 1st, 2014, 10:00 AM
Wofford schedule this year is problematic in playing 2 sub-FCS teams but the only reason it's a thing is because Jacksonville pulled out of our game.

With that said, playing 2 sub-FCS and 2 "Big 5" FBS teams is a really really bad idea for a single season

Didn't realize that you guys are in almost the same boat. In our case, we bought out(probably shouldn't have) of an away game at SELA, to get a HOME game against a bottom tier OVC team that I won't name - but would have been an easy "W". That team later canceled and left us with this mess. These things do happen.

youwouldno
September 1st, 2014, 10:20 AM
Half the SoCon scheduled horribly - Wofford, Samford, WCU & Mercer. The Bears are a legitimate exception given their transitional status. Since WCU is just trying to get their heads above water, I guess a couple automatic wins are fine to go with the automatic losses.

danefan
September 1st, 2014, 10:23 AM
if the SoCon and Big South teams are having trouble filling schedules, they should get together and come up with a challenge-like series.

Close travel, DI opponents. Consistency in scheduling. Shouldn't be too difficult.

rokamortis
September 1st, 2014, 10:30 AM
if the SoCon and Big South teams are having trouble filling schedules, they should get together and come up with a challenge-like series.

Close travel, DI opponents. Consistency in scheduling. Shouldn't be too difficult.

A lot of teams already do, but I think they do it out of geographic convenience. Furman has Coastal, PC, and GWU on a steady schedule. I think if they can get past the distance it would make a lot of sense.

Other teams really don't want to play some of us - for example we've been asking to play the Citadel since we started football but we were only able to do this year and it is a one-off game.