PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 2.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 31st, 2014, 08:21 PM
I went 8-0 this past week. VMI, Western Carolina and Chattanooga had nothing to be ashamed of in their defeats. This is where I have it at the close of the first week.

1) Furman - Great start against Gardner-Webb.
2) Chattanooga - Came this close to claiming the top spot.
3) Wofford - Not bad against Georgia Tech.
4) Western Carolina - Have come a long way in three years.
5) Samford - Got hammered by TCU
6) The Citadel - Ran into a tough customer in Coastal Carolina
7) VMI - Came up short against Bucknell
8) Mercer - win ugly against Reinhardt
ETSU - swept VCU and W&M in men's soccer this weekend

Predictions
VMI @ Bowling Green - Keydets no match for MAC power
Brevard @ Western Carolina - Catamounts have no problem against Brevard
Jacksonville State @ Chattanooga - Mocs take this one at home
Furman @ Mercer (Game of the week) - Paladins win first installment of the Lamb Bowl.
The Citadel @ Florida State (Beatdown of the week) - Although I wish the Seminoles get brought down to earth, The Citadel is not going to get it done.

catamount man
August 31st, 2014, 08:30 PM
I went 8-0 this past week. VMI, Western Carolina and Chattanooga had nothing to be ashamed of in their defeats. This is where I have it at the close of the first week.

1) Furman - Great start against Gardner-Webb.
2) Chattanooga - Came this close to claiming the top spot.
3) Wofford - Not bad against Georgia Tech.
4) Western Carolina - Have come a long way in three years.
5) Samford - Got hammered by TCU
6) The Citadel - Ran into a tough customer in Coastal Carolina
7) VMI - Came up short against Bucknell
8) Mercer - win ugly against Reinhardt
ETSU - swept VCU and W&M in men's soccer this weekend

Predictions
VMI @ Bowling Green - Keydets no match for MAC power
Brevard @ Western Carolina - Catamounts have no problem against Brevard
Jacksonville State @ Chattanooga - Mocs take this one at home
Furman @ Mercer (Game of the week) - Paladins win first installment of the Lamb Bowl.
The Citadel @ Florida State (Beatdown of the week) - Although I wish the Seminoles get brought down to earth, The Citadel is not going to get it done.

Wanna see scary? Last night's WCU team that almost beat South Florida has 42 freshmen and 19 sophomores. Only SIX seniors. Kent Briggs left Dennis Wagner a ton of talent in 2008 that Wagner promptly ran off nearly 60% percent and then stock piled with JUCOs from Russia and California. Is it any wonder he went 8-36 at WCU? Speir, even at 3-21, is light years ahead of Wagner when it comes to recruiting and last night's OL was the biggest WCU OL I have seen since the late Bill Bleil-early Kent Briggs era. This administration, unlike the previous regime, gets it that athletics are the front porch to one's school and will give Speir all his years and all the money he and his staff need.

High school coaches love this staff. Speir was mentored by both Danny Ford and Jerry Moore so he knows how to make a team win. I originally predicted 5-7 this season and trust me, after enduring the Dennis Wagner era, a 5 win season would be the catalyst to get this thing going. Always hoping that's for sure. GO CATS!

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2014, 09:14 PM
(my post from Terrier fans cut and pasted)
1)Chatty- Came the closest to beating their FBS opponent
2) Wofford-showed improvement on offense, which was huge. Also had more yardage against an FBS team than Furman did against an FCS team
3) Furman-I'm not one to think that Furman's hopes of a Socon title have evaporated. They've always been a defensive team, and with their trend under Fowler, they don't have a healthy QB throughout the season. They're going to win some close games and lose some. I don't think you can count them out for a title or to not beat us.
4) Western- USF is not the team they were 5 years ago. They're probably not a bowl team. With that said, you have to give credit where credit is due in that Western has significantly improved. Something like 3 years ago, they were a team that got beat by Tusculum, and they came back this year to almost beat an FBS team. It may have been the weakest FBS team the Socon played this week, but the clear improvement and perhaps confidence Western has shown makes them a force to be reckoned with this year.
5) Samford- As already mentioned, they got walloped by an okay to decent TCU team. I still think they're not going to be as good offensively as last year and their supposedly all-great-experienced defense had nearly half-a-hundred hung on them
6) Citadel- Lost to a good CCU team. With that said, we have no idea how good they are. You could probably switch up them and Samford.
7) VMI-Got beat by a team that was so-so. Does Bucknell have the same amount of schollies as Socon teams? Either way, I think they're in for a rough year.
8) Mercer-Almost lost to an NAIA team. They're going to get walloped this year. It wouldn't surprise me if Socon teams averaged 40 points a game against them.

Smitty
August 31st, 2014, 09:33 PM
Wanna see scary? Last night's WCU team that almost beat South Florida has 42 freshmen and 19 sophomores. Only SIX seniors. Kent Briggs left Dennis Wagner a ton of talent in 2008 that Wagner promptly ran off nearly 60% percent and then stock piled with JUCOs from Russia and California. Is it any wonder he went 8-36 at WCU? Speir, even at 3-21, is light years ahead of Wagner when it comes to recruiting and last night's OL was the biggest WCU OL I have seen since the late Bill Bleil-early Kent Briggs era. This administration, unlike the previous regime, gets it that athletics are the front porch to one's school and will give Speir all his years and all the money he and his staff need.

High school coaches love this staff. Speir was mentored by both Danny Ford and Jerry Moore so he knows how to make a team win. I originally predicted 5-7 this season and trust me, after enduring the Dennis Wagner era, a 5 win season would be the catalyst to get this thing going. Always hoping that's for sure. GO CATS!

Don't get cocky, it was only the first week.

Smitty
August 31st, 2014, 09:35 PM
1) Chattanooga
2) Furman
3) Wofford
4) Western Carolina
5) Samford
6) The Citadel
7) VMI
8) Mercer
ETSU

Predictions
VMI @ Bowling Green -
Brevard @ Western Carolina
Jacksonville State @ Chattanooga
Furman @ Mercer
The Citadel @ Florida State

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 09:39 PM
The Citadel @ Florida State

Solid pick!

dungeonjoe
August 31st, 2014, 09:41 PM
Solid pick!
He hasn't heard yet that you don't lend money.

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 09:45 PM
He hasn't heard yet that you don't lend money.

Only on AGS.......a joke at the expense of a Hebe made by a Minister!

Nicely done!

PaladinNation
August 31st, 2014, 09:52 PM
(my post from Terrier fans cut and pasted)
1)Chatty- Came the closest to beating their FBS opponent
2) Wofford-showed improvement on offense, which was huge. Also had more yardage against an FBS team than Furman did against an FCS team
3) Furman-I'm not one to think that Furman's hopes of a Socon title have evaporated. They've always been a defensive team, and with their trend under Fowler, they don't have a healthy QB throughout the season. They're going to win some close games and lose some. I don't think you can count them out for a title or to not beat us.
4) Western- USF is not the team they were 5 years ago. They're probably not a bowl team. With that said, you have to give credit where credit is due in that Western has significantly improved. Something like 3 years ago, they were a team that got beat by Tusculum, and they came back this year to almost beat an FBS team. It may have been the weakest FBS team the Socon played this week, but the clear improvement and perhaps confidence Western has shown makes them a force to be reckoned with this year.
5) Samford- As already mentioned, they got walloped by an okay to decent TCU team. I still think they're not going to be as good offensively as last year and their supposedly all-great-experienced defense had nearly half-a-hundred hung on them
6) Citadel- Lost to a good CCU team. With that said, we have no idea how good they are. You could probably switch up them and Samford.
7) VMI-Got beat by a team that was so-so. Does Bucknell have the same amount of schollies as Socon teams? Either way, I think they're in for a rough year.
8) Mercer-Almost lost to an NAIA team. They're going to get walloped this year. It wouldn't surprise me if Socon teams averaged 40 points a game against them.

Are you seriously comparing GaTech to LSU? Anyways I have no problem with you picking Wofford ahead of Furman, the season is just beginning.

dungeonjoe
August 31st, 2014, 10:04 PM
Are you seriously comparing GaTech to LSU? Anyways I have no problem with you picking Wofford ahead of Furman, the season is just beginning.
I think reading comprehension is key. The comparison is between Georgia Tech and GWU, Furman's opponent yesterday. Unless y'all snuck off to Baton Rouge under the cover of darkness...

SU DOG
August 31st, 2014, 10:07 PM
As of right now:
UTC - Looking forward to seeing that JSU Game.
FU - Losing Hannon will hurt.
Wofford - Terriers stronger than I expected.
Samford - TCU would hang 48 on a lot of FCS teams. Still, disappointing and Samford's O-Line MUST get better quickly.
Western - Could be a contender it seems.
The Citadel - I thought would get the upset but didn't, still dangerous.
VMI - Definitely on upswing as a program.
Mercer - Future powerhouse, but not this season.

Tough call after just this first week.

dungeonjoe
August 31st, 2014, 10:08 PM
Only on AGS.......a joke at the expense of a Hebe made by a Minister!

Nicely done!
the goyim strikes back xrotatehx

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2014, 10:08 PM
Any suggestion of Furman's demise is greatly exaggerated.

Hannon or no Hannon, if Furmans defense does this all season (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bl5_LsqnF4&index=2&list=UUprLkD5Pj5pk45TVcpo7jKg), we will be just fine.

dungeonjoe
August 31st, 2014, 10:25 PM

Hannon or no Hannon, if Furmans defense does this all season (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bl5_LsqnF4&index=2&list=UUprLkD5Pj5pk45TVcpo7jKg), we will be just fine.
I don't think anyone here suggested the demise of the paladins. What I have read is that most posters think that the way forward will be more difficult without Hannon. Do you agree with that assessment?

catamount man
September 1st, 2014, 06:29 AM
Don't get cocky, it was only the first week.
Giddy is more like it actually. I think the future is bright for WCU.

chattownmocs
September 1st, 2014, 07:55 AM
Furman had little chance to win the conference anyway. Their chance is 0 now.

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2014, 09:30 AM

What does this post even mean, the letters L, S, and U were not used together in that post

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2014, 09:32 AM
A defense can cover for a terrible offense to make a team a playoff bubble team but it can get rough beyond that.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2014, 10:03 AM
It is hard to say. Hannon missed three games last year as well.

Hannon is a good quarterback, but he's got some highly regarded, but untested, backups. Remember, Hannon's first game as a Paladin was starting as a freshman against Clemson after injury to the starter. Furman had five or six quarterbacks last year. This is not unchartered territory.

Furman had a lot of receivers open Saturday night. Hannon overshot a lot of passes early, but the guys were open against a good defense. The running game (not the QB's fault) was tough sledding, but Furman was missing time from its two primary backs (McCloud and Skogen) and had to contend with GWU's Mau, who I believe is the best interior DL Furman will see all season.

Again, in Furman's system, the QB just needs to make good decisions and hold onto the football. We are a run-first team, have ample talent at the receiver position, and have a strong defense. This is not a QB-centric offense that puts all the pressure on the signal caller to carry the game.

No one likes to lose their starting QB. It would be better with him in the lineup. I do think we will be fine, though.

SCPALADIN
September 1st, 2014, 10:05 AM

4:10...Gary Wilkins is a beast.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2014, 10:08 AM
4:10...Gary Wilkins is a beast.

Clearly a missed assignment by GWU. Still, you would think that if they were going to screw something up, they would at least make sure someone was blocking the most dangers man on the field.

youwouldno
September 1st, 2014, 10:18 AM
Wofford executed better than Ga Tech, for the parts of the game I watched. GT just outran them. To a lesser extent Wofford is going to face the same problem in the SoCon, because UTC and Furman are much more athletic than Wofford, and the Terriers have to play both on the road.

PaladinNation
September 1st, 2014, 11:31 AM
What does this post even mean, the letters L, S, and U were not used together in that post

I misread when you made this comment; "2) Wofford-showed improvement on offense, which was huge. Also had more yardage against an FBS team than Furman did against an FCS team." I thought you were comparing Furman against LSU, compared to Wofford against GaTech? Like I said I'm fine with people thinking Furman is done, sadly other SoCon teams will also face adversity. Champions respond to it… we'll see what the Paladins are made of.

longtimemocfan
September 1st, 2014, 11:36 AM
1) Chattanooga- We'll see if the OC can make adjustments this week. He didn't do a good job last Thursday.
2) Furman- See if Paladins can get a QB to emerge.
3) Wofford-Ayers never seems to have back to back off years.
4) Samford-For now they land here. We'll see how both Samford and WCU play against FCS opponents.
5) WCU- Could have landed 4th.
6) The Citadel- Tough loss... New coaching staff...Still a little bit of a unknown.
7) VMI-Moved the ball well,but couldn't stop Bucknell.
8) Mercer-Could easily move up after this coming week.

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2014, 11:41 AM
Wofford executed better than Ga Tech, for the parts of the game I watched. GT just outran them. To a lesser extent Wofford is going to face the same problem in the SoCon, because UTC and Furman are much more athletic than Wofford, and the Terriers have to play both on the road.

Nope. That's just not true.

The "Wofford is so unathletic" talking point became invalidated in the last 3 or 4 years IMO. We've never been deeper at running back and probably not this talented in the secondary (though they made many mistakes). If it were App State or GSU still playing, I would say there's validity to the talking point, but not for Furman and UTC because neither of those programs have the level of talent and depth that App and GSU had

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2014, 11:42 AM
I misread when you made this comment; "2) Wofford-showed improvement on offense, which was huge. Also had more yardage against an FBS team than Furman did against an FCS team." I thought you were comparing Furman against LSU, compared to Wofford against GaTech? Like I said I'm fine with people thinking Furman is done, sadly other SoCon teams will also face adversity. Champions respond to it… we'll see what the Paladins are made of.

My point was that wofford had comparable numbers offensively against GT to Furman against GWU. Which is indicative of at least something going right for the terriers.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 1st, 2014, 11:56 AM
Furman had little chance to win the conference anyway. Their chance is 0 now.

Of course Furman's chances of winning the conference are 0%...

It has to be when UTC's chance is 100%.

UTC
Furple
Wofford
El Cid
Western
Samford
Mercer
VMI

dungeonjoe
September 1st, 2014, 12:30 PM
It is hard to say. Hannon missed three games last year as well.

Hannon is a good quarterback, but he's got some highly regarded, but untested, backups. Remember, Hannon's first game as a Paladin was starting as a freshman against Clemson after injury to the starter. Furman had five or six quarterbacks last year. This is not unchartered territory.

Furman had a lot of receivers open Saturday night. Hannon overshot a lot of passes early, but the guys were open against a good defense. The running game (not the QB's fault) was tough sledding, but Furman was missing time from its two primary backs (McCloud and Skogen) and had to contend with GWU's Mau, who I believe is the best interior DL Furman will see all season.

Again, in Furman's system, the QB just needs to make good decisions and hold onto the football. We are a run-first team, have ample talent at the receiver position, and have a strong defense. This is not a QB-centric offense that puts all the pressure on the signal caller to carry the game.

No one likes to lose their starting QB. It would be better with him in the lineup. I do think we will be fine, though.

i think another thing may be an intangible---how does the offense respond to the leadership of the new QB. What I have seen of Hannon, he was a very good leader. Cohesiveness as a unit helps make a team a contender.

OL FU
September 1st, 2014, 12:50 PM
i think another thing may be an intangible---how does the offense respond to the leadership of the new QB. What I have seen of Hannon, he was a very good leader. Cohesiveness as a unit helps make a team a contender.

You are correct. From what I have heard Woodruff might actually be the better QB of the two (but he is a freshman and QBs are your leaders)

youwouldno
September 1st, 2014, 01:14 PM

The "Wofford is so unathletic" talking point became invalidated in the last 3 or 4 years IMO. We've never been deeper at running back and probably not this talented in the secondary (though they made many mistakes). If it were App State or GSU still playing, I would say there's validity to the talking point, but not for Furman and UTC because neither of those programs have the level of talent and depth that App and GSU had

Wofford under Ayers has been as good as any team in college football in terms of discipline and execution. The Terriers are generally in the #10-15 range in FCS because they don't quite have the same athleticism and depth as other top programs.

It could be I'm somewhat biased by the 2013 Furman - Wofford game. The Terriers ran the ball well in the first half but were worn down by Furman's defensive depth. And the Terriers' defense did fairly well up front, but the secondary just couldn't cover Suttles at all.

walliver
September 1st, 2014, 02:19 PM
Power Poll:

1) Furman - the only team to beat a decent opponent. We won't know how bad Hannon will be missed until the CCU game. I suspect he will be missed, but for now they have won a game against a scholarship DI team.
2) Chatty - Still most likely conference champion, but they lost a winnable game.
3) Wofford - Kept it close against a mediocre ACC team for 50 minutes. I don't like ranking best loss (there is no such thing)
4) WCU - played well against a bad FBS team, but showed potential (but, see #3)
5) Samford - performed poorly against a poor B12 team (but, see #3)
6) The Citadel - played CCU somewhat close, but still lost soundly.
7) VMI (worst loss of the week)
8) Mercer - barely escaped against a second year NAIA team. They stay in 8th until they beat a real team.
9) ETSU - sitting on the sidelines with a warm-up in 2015, and a SoCon return in 2016

This weeks games:
VMI at Bowling Green - BG isn't a powerhouse, but they still win by 28
Brevard at WCU - WCU has lost some of these in the past, but not this year. Kitties by 24
JSU at Chatty - The only competitive game of the week. Just like last year, I suspect Chatty bounces back with a vengeance and pulls out a 10 point win.
Furman at Mercer - a lot of hype for what will not be a good game. The horsies are wounded, but Mercer has no defense. FU plays plain vanilla offense and wins 42-10 (probably more if they play a wide-open offense)
The Citadel at Florida State - FSU barely escaped their game this week and will be prepared to make a statement against the bullpups. If the TO runs well, the pups can eat up some time and keep the Criminoles off the field, but FSU wins 63-9
Wofford defeats BYE and Samford defeats BYE (BYE shouldn't have scheduled two games on the same day).

SU DOG
September 1st, 2014, 03:06 PM
In NO way am I pleased with our game against TCU, but I do wonder if too much hasn't been made of it. I remember Wofford last year being drubbed by Baylor something like 69-3. Later in the season, this Baylor Team only beat TCU by 3 points. This year, TCU has installed the Air Raid(or whatever) hurry up offense to go along with what some consider to be the best defense in the Big XII. A couple of their WRs have world class speed, including one that they say is the fastest player in all of college football. I'm not predicting the Frogs will win their conference, but they do think they will be much better. I'm also not saying there was much positive for Samford Saturday. I'm just saying that this one game shouldn't be used quite as much to discount our chances this year. Samford has lots of talent, and there is some time now for these players to gel. Hopefully they will, and our Dogs will be just fine in the SoCon this year.

PaladinNation
September 1st, 2014, 03:21 PM

I actually think Wofford has a great mix of talent and role players, as does Furman.

The season will prove this out (right or wrong)… my guess is Furman has depth-wise, the most athletic defense in the SoCon.
Furman can play two sets at DE… 1st Wilkins/McCune and 2nd Boone/Elliott/Minter
Furman's DT rotation… 1st Mackey/Hawkins and 2nd Palmer/Ross
Furman's LB and NIC… 1st Magwood/Rider/McMorris 2nd Warren/Hayes/McBride
and I'll put up the Furman corners and free safety with anyone; Thomas/Milliken/Robinson

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2014, 03:34 PM
Wofford under Ayers has been as good as any team in college football in terms of discipline and execution. The Terriers are generally in the #10-15 range in FCS because they don't quite have the same athleticism and depth as other top programs.

It could be I'm somewhat biased by the 2013 Furman - Wofford game. The Terriers ran the ball well in the first half but were worn down by Furman's defensive depth. And the Terriers' defense did fairly well up front, but the secondary just couldn't cover Suttles at all.

Well, it's just as easily a matter of one team playing better than another, as well as the fact that playing for only one half of football was a trend at Wofford last year. One game doesn't indicate the greater or lesser athleticism of one team or another, just whether or not one team was better or not. The lesser athletic team is certainly capable of beating a more athletic team and doing so by double digits. Just look at any time Wofford beat App State or GSU (we did beat them by double digits on a couple occasions, including App State's uber-athletic '07 team).

With that said, having followed the program for the better part of the last decade plus, I can say with confidence that athleticism isn't a disadvantage for Wofford. Are there teams in the FCS who are more athletic? Certainly. But I would also say those teams are likely in the top 5 perennially and that could be said about any team. With that said, Wofford is certainly top 25 talent year-in and year-out. You can't attribute a team's success to exclusively scheme when they've played their way into the top 5-10 probably at least once 5 of the last 7 years. One of those times, sure that could have been a thing, but the consistency has lead to strides in recruitment.

It's said that Ayers does more with less, and that's true, but the less aspect is getting more and more scarce. With the departure of App State and GSU, Wofford is easily at the upper tier of athleticism in the conference. I'm not going to say we're more talented than Chatty or Furman or brag about our athleticism (really I can only use a barometer of past wofford teams), I'm just saying put credit where credit is due.

It's evident by the fact that Wofford's playcalling has gotten a lot more "traditional" and a lot less dicey. We don't go for it on fourth as much as we used to. We kick more Field Goals. We do a lot less trick plays and are even starting to pass more. These signify a change in attitude by the coaches, and some like it and some don't, but it's still there and I think it can be attributed to the coaching staff's increased confidence in the players' individual ability.

SU DOG
September 1st, 2014, 03:47 PM
I would be curious to see the 2** and 3** athletes that UTC, FU, SU, and Wofford have on their individual rosters. While these star ratings don't mean much, they are somewhat of an indication of recruiting, and at least perceived talent level. My guess is that Wofford would have the fewest. The point is that Ayers doesn't need as many. He gets the job done beautifully with the guys that fit his system. IMO, you can still say that he does more with less, but it is only a perceived less. Does that make sense? I think so.

LarryBoy
September 1st, 2014, 04:07 PM
More often than not, Wofford's players are fast enough, strong enough, and smart enough. I think their track record speaks for itself.

dungeonjoe
September 1st, 2014, 04:27 PM
Let me be Captain Obvious here and say everything goes in cycles. Every 4 years or so, Wofford struggles badly. Add to that that changes in coaching personnel and last year was the "struggles badly" year.

It is way too early to predict what the year will look like.

My power poll for week 1 looks like this:
1. Western Carolina while we were looking the other way, something may be finally clicking
2. Chatt kept it closer than I thought they would
3.Wofford:exceeded expectations with freshmen stepping up
4. Furman defense exceeded expectations giving up only 25 yards in the second half
5. Samford met expectations against FBS competition
6.The Citadel didn't meet expectations (or possibly I believed Citdog's propaganda)
7/8 Mercer and VMI: I was hoping the big kids playing at VMI would perform better and that Mercer would not embarrass themselves against NAIA teams

- - - Updated - - -

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2014, 05:35 PM
1) Chattanooga- We'll see if the OC can make adjustments this week. He didn't do a good job last Thursday.

I think the problem is not that he didn't make adjustments...he did and they were bad one's. ;)

woffordgrad94
September 1st, 2014, 06:11 PM
1) Chattanooga: they probably should have beaten CMU Thursday as they faded down the stretch, but they are still my favorite as of right now
2) Furman: at first I thought the loss of Hannon would devastate the team, but after some thought and analysis I realize that defense is the Paladin calling card and as long as the QB position doesn't completely crap the bed the Paladins are still strong contenders
3) Wofford: I was very pleased with the effort at Georgia Tech. The offense in particular looked promising. There is still work to be done though. Making the playoffs will be an uphill battle and the schedule is not favorable in that regard (2 D-2s, Chatty, Furman, WCU and Samford all on the road)
4) Western Carolina: Nice effort at USF. I think they'll be the biggest surprise in the conference. They will be a tough out for everyone in the conference.
5) Samford: Disappointing effort at TCU. I think the Bulldogs could fail to meet expectations this season. At any rate, improvement is needed if they are to contend for the conference title.
6) The Citadel: Not bad against an excellent Coastal team. This is a team the can beat anyone in the conference on any given week, so teams must be ready for them.
7) VMI: I think the Keydets are better than they were the last time they were in the conference, but they still have a long way to go before they are contenders. Defense may be a big issue.
8) Mercer: Everyone talks of this program's potential and bright future. And. I agree with that. But this year Lamb's boys will be overmatched, particularly on defense. They almost lost to an NAIA team. The Bears need time.

Chattanooga squeaks by Jax State 20-17
Furman gives Mercer some reality 42-10
FSU pummels The Citadel 59-7
WCU spanks Brevard 47-13
Bowling Green easily over VMI 42-17

ElCid
September 1st, 2014, 07:09 PM
1) Furman - Got the win against the BS to start. And with recent history, that says a lot...unfortunately.
2) Chattanooga - Should have won, they looked good for most of the game, but did what they do best during the second half.
3) Wofford - They looked good, much better than I expected, even if GT looked bad at times. It was a fun game to watch.
4) Western Carolina - I did not see any of this game but I liked their stats. Even though lost, they will be dangerous. It may coming together for them. Or S Florida really sucks bad.
5) Samford - Saw a lot of this game and they just did not look good at all, FBS opponent or not.
6) The Citadel - We really beat ourselves again (fumbled punt, 2 fumbles on returns, inopportune penalties). Not taking anything away from CCU, but it should have been closer. The Dogs actually look good at times, but they were just inconsistent. Defense had a couple glimmers of greatness but pass D was mostly sloppy and sometimes just downright bad. Secondary was out of position and no pass rush. Offense (Option execution especially) looked mostly good. I think Tyler Renew is a name everyone will eventually fear. They just could not string it together when they needed to. Passing game (or lack thereof) needs a lot of work. I am actually fairly pleased for the first time out with the new coach. And of course the Corps of Cadets was back on the home side....
7) VMI - They could have won. I think it may be a long first season back in the SOCON for them.
8) Mercer - Watched a lot of this game and they have a ways to go, even if they did win against a nobody. Maybe they are lulling everyone into a false sense of security....

Well I got em all last week,...not hard, but there were some surprising performances by Wofford and especially WCU.

This week:

VMI @ Bowling Green - by at least 35
Brevard @ Western Carolina - Cats by 40+
Jacksonville State @ Chattanooga - UTC by 7-14 at home
Furman @ Mercer - Furman easy 35+
The Citadel @ Florida State - Oh dear, FSU will need to assure their voters that they are #1. Not good for the Dogs. FSU will do whatever it wants as a result. Dogs can only hope to use TOP to keep it from a monumental bludgeoning. FSU by 50+.

OrangeAndBlack
September 1st, 2014, 07:17 PM
Power Ranks:

1) Chattanooga - A nice showing with a choke job. Very interested to see how they respond.
2) Furman - the only team to beat a decent opponent. We won't know how bad Hannon will be missed until the CCU game. I suspect he will be missed, but for now they have won a game against a scholarship DI team.
3) WCU - They looked pretty good, even it was against a horrific FBS program.
4) Wofford - I was impressed with Wofford, especially when you compare their showing to....
5) Samford - how Samford layed down to TCU.
6) The Citadel - Everyone saying this was "close"? It was 28-3 in the 2nd half if I'm not mistaken. Final score makes it LOOK close.
7) VMI - They battled, gotta give them that... but couldn't grab the win.
8) Mercer - A repeat of last years opening opponent and almost the same score. This score is not the death nail everyone is claiming. In fact, it will actually help them as a wake up call on what to work on going forward. A cake walk (as you'll see later this year versus Warner, will accomplish nothing).
ETSU - Hoping they start building a stadium very soon.

This weeks games:
VMI at Bowling Green
Brevard at WCU
JSU at Chattanooga -When in doubt I go with the home team...
Furman at Mercer - 31-30. (Of course) I'm picking the undefeated overall and 9-game home winning streak to continue in Mercer University Stadium. Before the QB Hannon went down it was probably a 1/10 chance. Now it's about a 1/4. The reasons this can happen: 1) Furman's home crowd of 7500 will look like a cracker jack box compared to the 12,000+ amped up in Macon to see the upset. 2) How will the new Furman QB react to his second start being on the road in this hostile environment? 3) He started last year once vs. G-Webb and it didn't exactly go well.. 7/16 passing for 123 yards with 70 on one play. He was then injured and has thrown 4 passes since then last week. So many unknowns to what this kid can do. 4) Nothing to lose and everything to gain.
The Citadel at Florida State

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2014, 07:48 PM
With all due respect to Mercer, I think they're in for a rude awakening when it comes to Socon competition. I'll be surprised if they score 20 on Furman, or keep Furman under 28 (which is saying a lot, considering the offensive trends of Furman in the past couple years)

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2014, 07:52 PM
Power Ranks:

1) Chattanooga - A nice showing with a choke job. Very interested to see how they respond.
2) Furman - the only team to beat a decent opponent. We won't know how bad Hannon will be missed until the CCU game. I suspect he will be missed, but for now they have won a game against a scholarship DI team.
4) Wofford - I was impressed with Wofford, especially when you compare their showing to....
6) The Citadel - Everyone saying this was "close"? It was 28-3 in the 2nd half if I'm not mistaken. Final score makes it LOOK close.
8) Mercer - A repeat of last years opening opponent and almost the same score. This score is not the death nail everyone is claiming. In fact, it will actually help them as a wake up call on what to work on going forward. A cake walk (as you'll see later this year versus Warner, will accomplish nothing).

This weeks games:
VMI at Bowling Green
Brevard at WCU
Furman at Mercer - 31-30. (Of course) I'm picking the undefeated overall and 9-game home winning streak to continue in Mercer University Stadium. Before the QB Hannon went down it was probably a 1/10 chance. Now it's about a 1/4. The reasons this can happen: 1) Furman's home crowd of 7500 will look like a cracker jack box compared to the 12,000+ amped up in Macon to see the upset. 2) How will the new Furman QB react to his second start being on the road in this hostile environment? 3) He started last year once vs. G-Webb and it didn't exactly go well.. 7/16 passing for 123 yards with 70 on one play. He was then injured and has thrown 4 passes since then last week. So many unknowns to what this kid can do. 4) Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Dillon Woodruff played most of the game against Gardner Webb with a labrum in his throwing arm. I wouldn't read too much into those passing stats.

Remember, last year this largely the same Furman team played on the road in the Fargo Dome (without question the toughest road venue in the FCS), a night game at LSU (one of the toughest road venues in the SEC), and Paulson Stadium (arguably the toughest road venue in the SoCon). I highly doubt Mercer's stadium will rattle them.

I might be wrong, but I would imagine the fans making the most noise Saturday night will be Furman fans. I expect the Mercer fans will be relatively subdued.

LarryBoy
September 1st, 2014, 09:26 PM
Dillon Woodruff played most of the game against Gardner Webb with a labrum in his throwing arm. I wouldn't read too much into those passing stats.

Remember, last year this largely the same Furman team played on the road in the Fargo Dome (without question the toughest road venue in the FCS), a night game at LSU (one of the toughest road venues in the SEC), and Paulson Stadium (arguably the toughest road venue in the SoCon). I highly doubt Mercer's stadium will rattle them.

I might be wrong, but I would imagine the fans making the most noise Saturday night will be Furman fans. I expect the Mercer fans will be relatively subdued.

There are a lot of factors at play in this football game. The possibility of Furman being rattled by 12,000 fans isn't one of them.

LarryBoy
September 1st, 2014, 09:31 PM
Power Ranks:

This weeks games:
VMI at Bowling Green
Brevard at WCU

Not to add more to the "Mercer has no chance pile," but one thing that has to be said:

Furman is a running team. Last week, they were without the best RB in the conference, Hank McCloud. He'll be back this week. Also, Dillon Woodruff–much better runner than Reese Hannon (likely a better arm, as well, but a less experienced one).

Thirdly, the D I saw last week was one of the best I've seen from Furman in years, and they were without Carl Rider, the SoCon's leading tackler last year. He, too, should be back this week.

This is not to say that Mercer won't come out guns blazing. I expect that this will be the most intense we've seen the Bears yet, and I don't want to take anything for granted. But even without Hannon, Furman fans have plenty of reason to feel really good about their team this week.

SCPALADIN
September 1st, 2014, 09:58 PM
Not to add more to the "Mercer has no chance pile," but one thing that has to be said:

Furman is a running team. Last week, they were without the best RB in the conference, Hank McCloud. He'll be back this week. Also, Dillon Woodruff–much better runner than Reese Hannon (likely a better arm, as well, but a less experienced one).

Thirdly, the D I saw last week was one of the best I've seen from Furman in years, and they were without Carl Rider, the SoCon's leading tackler last year. He, too, should be back this week.

This is not to say that Mercer won't come out guns blazing. I expect that this will be the most intense we've seen the Bears yet, and I don't want to take anything for granted. But even without Hannon, Furman fans have plenty of reason to feel really good about their team this week.

Many Furman fans believe Woodruff and Blazejowski have more upside than Hannon...they just need more snaps and experience. Anyone who has watched the scrimmages and practices is still optimistic about our season. Not trying to discount Mercer or Presbyterian...but I believe the next two weeks will be very beneficial to the future development of the QB position at Furman.

youwouldno
September 1st, 2014, 11:04 PM
I would be surprised if Mercer scored a touchdown against Furman's defensive starters. I don't think the Bears will fare too well against Furman's backups either, after they come in during the 2nd half.

Furman's offense is more of a question mark, but this is the perfect opponent for a new QB to take charge and get the offense into a rhythm.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2014, 05:58 AM
Let me be Captain Obvious here and say everything goes in cycles. Every 4 years or so, Wofford struggles badly. Add to that that changes in coaching personnel and last year was the "struggles badly" year.

It is way too early to predict what the year will look like.

My power poll for week 1 looks like this:
1. Western Carolina while we were looking the other way, something may be finally clicking
2. Chatt kept it closer than I thought they would
3.Wofford:exceeded expectations with freshmen stepping up
4. Furman defense exceeded expectations giving up only 25 yards in the second half
5. Samford met expectations against FBS competition
6.The Citadel didn't meet expectations (or possibly I believed Citdog's propaganda)
7/8 Mercer and VMI: I was hoping the big kids playing at VMI would perform better and that Mercer would not embarrass themselves against NAIA teams

- - - Updated - - -

It is now absolutely crystal clear that Methodist do indeed ................drink:)

LarryBoy
September 2nd, 2014, 06:29 AM
I would be surprised if Mercer scored a touchdown against Furman's defensive starters. I don't think the Bears will fare too well against Furman's backups either, after they come in during the 2nd half.

Furman's offense is more of a question mark, but this is the perfect opponent for a new QB to take charge and get the offense into a rhythm.

Careful. You may find yourself being quoted by a Mercer fan a week from now.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2014, 06:40 AM
Careful. You may find yourself being quoted by a Mercer fan a week from now.

I can't remember our last shutout. It might happened but I would be surprised.

LarryBoy
September 2nd, 2014, 07:01 AM
I can't remember our last shutout. It might happened but I would be surprised.

We beat Elon 10-0 in 2004. I don't think there have been any since then, but I could certainly be wrong.

dungeonjoe
September 2nd, 2014, 07:30 AM
xlolx If there is any weakness in Furman with the injury to Hannon, it is not found in either the observation skills or the confidence of some Furman fans. The bar has been set not just for a smashing victory by the Paladins, but even higher, that Mercer will not even score...on Furman's second or third string players!!!
No wonder the Paladins have such a warm place in the hearts of so many.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2014, 07:36 AM
xlolx If there is any weakness in Furman with the injury to Hannon, it is not found in either the observation skills or the confidence of some Furman fans. The bar has been set not just for a smashing victory by the Paladins, but even higher, that Mercer will not even score...on Furman's second or third string players!!!

Mercer has irked many at Furman. Mercer, as a university, offered zero consignment tickets to visiting fans (first time in 30 years according to our ticket office that a school did not offer tickets to Furman for purchase). They made every effort to sell tickets to the Furman game only to Mercer fans, including "special code" emails to alumni and not opening up ticket sales until 10 pm after Mercer's opening game against Reinhardt (that is, sell the tickets to the folks coming out of the gate).

So, no, Mercer has not exactly endeared itself to Furman fans to start this season. I think many of our fan base is excited to "welcome" the Bears to SoCon play.

LarryBoy
September 2nd, 2014, 08:06 AM

Come on now, one post does not equal "Furman fans" as a whole. A shutout would be nice, but I'd be shocked. Mercer has some offensive weapons and a willingness to be tricky. If the game is out of reach in the second half (a big assumption), I'm sure Fowler will be rotating fresh bodies in as much as possible.

Mercer will score. I think their bigger problem is their own defense. They'll need to put up a better effort than they did last week. Though, in comparison to what Reinhardt was doing, Furman's offense will be pure vanilla extract.

PaladinNation
September 2nd, 2014, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't expect a shut out this week… that said; if Furman can put the same pressure they put on Beatty, on Russ it will be a long day.
DungeonJoe made a comment that the Furman defense exceeded expectations. I think for those of us who watched this defense grow up the latter part of 2013, and have watched the 2014 scrimmages, that level of play was hoped for. My expectations for Saturday, lots of pressure, resulting in at least one defensive score.

youwouldno
September 2nd, 2014, 08:46 AM
I said touchdowns - I think Mercer will get a couple FGs, and a 4th quarter TD against reserves certainly is possible. So somewhere in the 6-13 point range is what I'm expecting for them. My prediction isn't a dig at Mercer... it's just based on my assessment of the two teams.

dungeonjoe
September 2nd, 2014, 08:50 AM
Furman's defense exceeded expectations against Gardner Webb in the second half of play as they held the bulldogs to 25 yards offense in that half. I doubt many Furman fans expected that. The first half probably met expectations.

dungeonjoe
September 2nd, 2014, 08:58 AM
Yeah, one poster said no touchdowns another said a shutout. Don't worry, your confidence is exceeding expectations. :)

That's crappy about the ticket allotment.

Finally, 12,000 fans will be like a poor pep rally compared to Statesboro, Boone and Fargo.

longtimemocfan
September 2nd, 2014, 08:58 AM
I think the problem is not that he didn't make adjustments...he did and they were bad one's. ;)

Either way 9 yards in a half isn't good. I like Jeff. Hopefully he'll get it straightened out by this week.

Reign of Terrier
September 2nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I tend to ease off shut out or "no touchdown" predictions.

This is the 21st century and the game is an offensive one. If you consistently hold teams to below 20, you're a pretty good defense.

I think that's likely to happen against Mercer, though I will say I wouldn't be surprised if Mercer lost a 54-28 sort of scoring affair. I've obviously been highly critical of Mercer the last few weeks, especially in wake of that shootout with an NAIA team, but with that said there are plenty of examples of teams who have played "inferior" competition with high offensive stats, and gone on to play "better" competition in the playoffs, FBS, etc and have transitioned rather decently.

I don't think that will happen, but at the same time I'm not going to deny the possibility.

Regardless, I think Mercer's defense is terrible and that that will be the reason they lose. FCS teams playing at a high level (which the jury is still out on whether or not Furman, or any socon team outside of maybe Chattanooga, is back to that level in my opinion) usually hold sub-D1 teams to below 200 total yards of offense. You can talk up how good a 6-4 NAIA team was last year, but at the end of the day it's still an NAIA team.

And I know that this is an FCS board and we champion the little guy or the underdog, but the difference between the talent level and depth of an upper tier FBS team and an FCS team that's above average is not nearly as big as the gap between and average FCS team and a "good" NAIA team.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2014, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I tend to ease off shut out or "no touchdown" predictions.

This is the 21st century and the game is an offensive one. If you consistently hold teams to below 20, you're a pretty good defense.

I think that's likely to happen against Mercer, though I will say I wouldn't be surprised if Mercer lost a 54-28 sort of scoring affair. I've obviously been highly critical of Mercer the last few weeks, especially in wake of that shootout with an NAIA team, but with that said there are plenty of examples of teams who have played "inferior" competition with high offensive stats, and gone on to play "better" competition in the playoffs, FBS, etc and have transitioned rather decently.

I don't think that will happen, but at the same time I'm not going to deny the possibility.

Regardless, I think Mercer's defense is terrible and that that will be the reason they lose. FCS teams playing at a high level (which the jury is still out on whether or not Furman, or any socon team outside of maybe Chattanooga, is back to that level in my opinion) usually hold sub-D1 teams to below 200 total yards of offense. You can talk up how good a 6-4 NAIA team was last year, but at the end of the day it's still an NAIA team.

And I know that this is an FCS board and we champion the little guy or the underdog, but the difference between the talent level and depth of an upper tier FBS team and an FCS team that's above average is not nearly as big as the gap between and average FCS team and a "good" NAIA team.

I don't disagree with that. I think predictions of a shutout are probably overboard. Furman fans, though, have watched this defense develop over the last two seasons. There is a lot to get excited about. Most of us where there watching this team in their heyday. We know that "feeling" of watching an elite defense.

There is an obvious difference between a Bruce Fowler defense and a Bobby Lamb defense. Gardner Webb returned 7 or 8 starters off a team that put up 400 yards of offense last year (including numerous all conference performers) against us. The Bulldogs could hardly get a snap off in the second half on Saturday without a white helmet under their QB's chinstrap. That, in itself, is an encouraging sign. I highly doubt, though, Furman is going to give up three points and 25 second half yards in every game all season.

There's no question, Mercer's defense has been poor. I think they are going to have to force some turnovers. I expect them to throw everything at Furman's running game to try and slow down the offense. Were I Lamb, I would try and see if the new Furman QB can beat you. Best way to do that is to take away Hank McCloud.

The game will be decided, I think, on how well Mercer adjusts to the speed of the game. Furman will throw more at them than they have seen at any point in their college careers. Mercer cannot let Furman get up early and give the Paladins the chance to let the defense start working up field.

terrierbob
September 2nd, 2014, 07:42 PM
Will the Mercer-Furman game be televised or streamed?

citdog
September 2nd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Will the Mercer-Furman game be televised or streamed?

The SoCon has this VERY newfangled thing called the SoCon Digital Network. It streams pictures and WORDS!

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2014, 07:56 PM
Watched the Furman/GWU game on SoCon digital network. It's a good offering.

The game will also be on ESPN3.

Reign of Terrier
September 2nd, 2014, 08:53 PM
I'm having problems with the Socon digital network but I could just as easily be not doing things right.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2014, 08:56 PM
I'm having problems with the Socon digital network but I could just as easily be not doing things right.

Took a few seconds to load, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some glitches in week 1.

Reign of Terrier
September 2nd, 2014, 08:58 PM
Took a few seconds to load, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some glitches in week 1.

All of the archived games I'm getting are from 2010 or earlier

walliver
September 3rd, 2014, 08:45 AM

I actually feel the opposite way.

The difference between the Power 5 and everybody else is basically talent level. The P5 has recruiting advantages not available to others; e.g., playing routinely on National TV (real TV on a Saturday), playing in front of 70,000-100,000 cheering fans every home game, and as is routinely alleged, cash payments. As a result, the top high school football players will routinely pick Alabama or Michigan over a G5 or FCS school.

When comparing different divisions, however, other factors come into play. D2 has lower academic standards then D1. The P5 work around this through JuCo placements, but G5 and FCS level players may opt for a D2. NAIA standards are even lower.

Most FCS AD's have the sense not to schedule Valdosta State (at least not at their prime), because VSU routinely produced teams that would be competitive in most FCS conferences, by a combination of lower academic standards, "Life Scholarships", and a Paucity of D1 programs in Georgia.

That being said, Reinhardt is not Chris Hatcher's Valdosta State.

I don't think FU vs. Mercer will be a close game by any means. On the other hand, Mercer throws the ball around enough that a shut-out will be difficult. When the ball is flying all over the field, it only takes one mental mistake or slip by a defender to give up a long TD pass.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2014, 10:34 AM
I actually feel the opposite way.

The difference between the Power 5 and everybody else is basically talent level. The P5 has recruiting advantages not available to others; e.g., playing routinely on National TV (real TV on a Saturday), playing in front of 70,000-100,000 cheering fans every home game, and as is routinely alleged, cash payments. As a result, the top high school football players will routinely pick Alabama or Michigan over a G5 or FCS school.

When comparing different divisions, however, other factors come into play. D2 has lower academic standards then D1. The P5 work around this through JuCo placements, but G5 and FCS level players may opt for a D2. NAIA standards are even lower.

Most FCS AD's have the sense not to schedule Valdosta State (at least not at their prime), because VSU routinely produced teams that would be competitive in most FCS conferences, by a combination of lower academic standards, "Life Scholarships", and a Paucity of D1 programs in Georgia.

That being said, Reinhardt is not Chris Hatcher's Valdosta State.

I don't think FU vs. Mercer will be a close game by any means. On the other hand, Mercer throws the ball around enough that a shut-out will be difficult. When the ball is flying all over the field, it only takes one mental mistake or slip by a defender to give up a long TD pass.

...and you started so well. xnodx I was agreeing & cheering you on as I read the 1st 3 paragraphs!

Reinhardt just MAY compete for the NAIA National Championship this year. They weren't that far away talent-wise last year, as they were leading the NAIA runner-up 24-7 (I think that was the score - not going to check/confirm) with 10 minutes to play last year...and they seemed to be much 'tighter' (in a good way - fewer mistakes) last Thurs than last year. I realize that is just conjecture on my part, but I think with their performance last year to say they will NOT be in that mix/at that level is at least equally as speculative.

Also, Mercer's Run/Pass play mix in 2013 was approx. 70% Run/30% Pass. Last Thursday, it was 67% Run/33% Pass. Agreed that 1 mistake vs. a long ball can lead to a TD, but to characterize a team that runs the ball about 70% of the time as one where the "ball is flying all over the field" is a bit misleading. Wait...I guess in comparison to LittleDogBall...maybe that, relatively speaking, IS throwing it all over the field xsmiley_wix. I realize this info may talk you/others IN to thinking Mercer is going to be shut-out, but just trying to keep the facts straight.

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
Mercer fan pumping up something called reinhardt is hilarious! Keep those jokes coming bear!

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Mercer fan pumping up something called reinhardt is hilarious! Keep those jokes coming bear!

Don't you have something else to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf8G9mEuuho

...although after watching this vid, I'm not sure any ElCid grad I've ever met meets the qualifications.

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
Don't you have something else to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf8G9mEuuho

...although after watching this vid, I'm not sure any ElCid grad I've ever met meets the qualifications.

SAME OLD tired hackish not funny jokes. You need some new material. Go back to telling us how tough that naia team was. THAT'S comedy gold!

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
SAME OLD tired hackish not funny jokes. You need some new material. Go back to telling us how tough that naia team was. THAT'S comedy gold!

That's strange - I've been hearing & telling ElCid / Bellhop jokes since 1978 and they never seem old to me.

Tealblood
September 3rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
The citadel should be last in this poll simply because they got beat by a team from the big south
Furman should be way down as well just for playing a BS team

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM
The citadel should be last in this poll simply because they got beat by a team from the big south

If you think that little of your own program well you must have went to coastal carolina.

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2014, 11:46 AM

Yeah, seriously quit fooling yourselves.

Like, if South Carolina loses or comes close to losing to Wofford or Furman, etc, I think they have something to worry about. Granted, there's a lot of factors that play into that, such as injuries (Wofford didn't play against Clowney or Lattimore) being looked past, etc.

But in the case of Reinhardt, Mercer didn't have any of that. They had all of their starters from last year, no injuries that I've heard of, and nothing to look past, considering how last year went.

Even then, a team like SC or Clemson has only like 20 scholarships more than Wofford, whereas an NAIA team has something like 40 less than FCS team.

I'm sorry, it's not even close. Mercer has serious problems, perhaps on-par with Georgia State a couple years ago. They're much closer to them than Old Dominion

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2014, 12:00 PM
Yeah, seriously quit fooling yourselves.

Like, if South Carolina loses or comes close to losing to Wofford or Furman, etc, I think they have something to worry about. Granted, there's a lot of factors that play into that, such as injuries (Wofford didn't play against Clowney or Lattimore) being looked past, etc.

But in the case of Reinhardt, Mercer didn't have any of that. They had all of their starters from last year, no injuries that I've heard of, and nothing to look past, considering how last year went.

Even then, a team like SC or Clemson has only like 20 scholarships more than Wofford, whereas an NAIA team has something like 40 less than FCS team.

I'm sorry, it's not even close. Mercer has serious problems, perhaps on-par with Georgia State a couple years ago. They're much closer to them than Old Dominion

Homework Grade: F

There are at least 3 factual errors in your post. When you find them, please post corrections and we'll reconsider your grade.

youwouldno
September 3rd, 2014, 01:39 PM

Mercer's two fans are running around to different message boards talking about how good Reinhardt is, as if none of us has a brain. The upcoming beatdown can't happen to them fast enough.

Having said that, Mercer as a program was put in a tough spot, because they were planning on competing in the Pioneer for a little longer (though they clearly had eyes on scholarship FCS from the beginning). This isn't a Ga. State with grand FBS ambitions from day one.

So even though they are going to be torn apart in the SoCon this year, I don't know that's it's a problem per se, because on the other hand they now can ramp up to where they want to be scholarship-wise.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Mercer's two fans are running around to different message boards talking about how good Reinhardt is, as if none of us has a brain. The upcoming beatdown can't happen to them fast enough.

Having said that, Mercer as a program was put in a tough spot, because they were planning on competing in the Pioneer for a little longer (though they clearly had eyes on scholarship FCS from the beginning). This isn't a Ga. State with grand FBS ambitions from day one.

So even though they are going to be torn apart in the SoCon this year, I don't know that's it's a problem per se, because on the other hand they now can ramp up to where they want to be scholarship-wise.

I'm going to be a bit egotistical here and assume one of those you are talking about is me...and also assume you are referring to this board and TheUFFP, where I have been a regular poster since darn near the day that my freen, Stumpy, started it. So, if that's "running around"....guilty.

I think if you will read my posts carefully, you will notice that I have only discussed the quality of Reinhardt in terms of what they ACTUALLY accomplished in 2013, which takes merely a Bear of very little brain to ascertain, and my perception of their relative improvement from last year to last Thursday night. I could be mistaken, of course, but I don't think you will find anywhere that I have posted about "how good Reinhardt is" or how they might compare to FCS teams, or SoCon teams specifically. I do know a little about football and I find comparing the actual quality of teams from different levels - whether it's the number of A's in HS or the letters and arrangement of those letters in college ball, one of the absolutely hardest things to do. I know many of you, who are much more astute than I am, find this to be a piece of cake. I, however, having, in the past played/coached/been involved with a I-AA that beat I-A teams with the frequency that NDSU is doing it now and having seen those same players lose to or be tied by NAIA teams, I'm just not so quick to judge based on classification alone. I realize that goes against popular opinion and I wish I were better able to make the distinction that so many others clearly can.

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2014, 02:18 PM
Homework Grade: F

There are at least 3 factual errors in your post. When you find them, please post corrections and we'll reconsider your grade.

FBS scholarships: 85
FCS scholarships: 63
NAIA scholarships: 24

Do your own homework

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 02:18 PM
fubear is dick sheridan

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2014, 02:21 PM
I'm going to be a bit egotistical here and assume one of those you are talking about is me...and also assume you are referring to this board and TheUFFP, where I have been a regular poster since darn near the day that my freen, Stumpy, started it. So, if that's "running around"....guilty.

I think if you will read my posts carefully, you will notice that I have only discussed the quality of Reinhardt in terms of what they ACTUALLY accomplished in 2013, which takes merely a Bear of very little brain to ascertain, and my perception of their relative improvement from last year to last Thursday night. I could be mistaken, of course, but I don't think you will find anywhere that I have posted about "how good Reinhardt is" or how they might compare to FCS teams, or SoCon teams specifically. I do know a little about football and I find comparing the actual quality of teams from different levels - whether it's the number of A's in HS or the letters and arrangement of those letters in college ball, one of the absolutely hardest things to do. I know many of you, who are much more astute than I am, find this to be a piece of cake. I, however, having, in the past played/coached/been involved with a I-AA that beat I-A teams with the frequency that NDSU is doing it now and having seen those same players lose to or be tied by NAIA teams, I'm just not so quick to judge based on classification alone. I realize that goes against popular opinion and I wish I were better able to make the distinction that so many others clearly can.

blah blah blah

You can spin it however you want, letting an NAIA team score 40 on you is embarrassing, I don't care what they've done. That really applies to any division playing a lower division.

Maybe Mercer will have a good offense this year. Who knows. But they're defense will definitely be atrocious

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2014, 02:55 PM
FBS scholarships: 85
FCS scholarships: 63
NAIA scholarships: 24

Do your own homework

That's only 1 of the (at least) 3 errors and while the numbers you have posted are correct (though not quite precise for NAIA), they do not apply in the context you cited in your original post.

2nd Attempt Homework Grade: F

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2014, 03:04 PM
fubear is dick sheridan

BLASPHEMER!!

SU DOG
September 3rd, 2014, 03:09 PM
Early betting line has the Paladins as a 27 point favorite. Others of interest - For Entertainment Purposes Only:

VMI - Is a 41 point underdog to BG.
Western by 24 over Brevard.
The Citadel -51 to FSU.
Wofford - OPEN
Samford - Not playing this week, after NOT playing last week - OUCH!
UTC - Has started out as a 0NE point favorite over JSU.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2014, 03:16 PM
Early betting line has the Paladins as a 27 point favorite. Others of interest - For Entertainment Purposes Only:

VMI - Is a 41 point underdog to BG.
Western by 24 over Brevard.
The Citadel -51 to FSU.
Wofford - OPEN
Samford - Not playing this week, after NOT playing last week - OUCH!
UTC - Has started out as a 0NE point favorite over JSU.

You must have left a 0 off of the end of the 1st line you posted.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2014, 03:20 PM
blah blah blah

You can spin it however you want, letting an NAIA team score 40 on you is embarrassing, I don't care what they've done. That really applies to any division playing a lower division.

Maybe Mercer will have a good offense this year. Who knows. But they're defense will definitely be atrocious

As I said, I am a Bear of very little brain. You are certainly more astute than I. Making these distinctions based on classification alone is simply something I can't do, while it's a piece of cake for you and I wish I could have such clarity in my own discernment.

OrangeAndBlack
September 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
I need to quit running around to other boards... If there's any board I'm "running around to", it's this one. I'm brand new here.

I love the Mercer hate... keep it coming.

centennial
September 3rd, 2014, 06:05 PM
I need to quit running around to other boards... If there's any board I'm "running around to", it's this one. I'm brand new here.

Please post a video or 2 about your team.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2014, 06:17 PM

We have not yet begun to hate! :) You should have been here for some of the predecessor universities.

Mercer may well shock me Saturday night. It'll be a fun environment. I think the whole conference is going to find out whether Mercer can take a punch and deliver a few. The whole conference is really interested to see how big the gap is or is not.

walliver
September 3rd, 2014, 08:38 PM

You haven't seen anything. The real haters have moved to the Belch. There were ASU fans who hated Elon with an intensity unrelated to anything on the football field due to some incident that occurred well before many of us were born.

Most of us don't hate Mercer. I feel that Mercer is a great addition to the SoCon, and that the SoCon is the best place for Mercer for many years to come. ETSU will be an asset now that Stanton is history.

Some of us are still excitable boys on this board, but there are old fogies here who look on things with a wizened perspective. FCS teams started de novo (instead of moving up) can be quite successful very quickly (Georgia Southern, CCU, FAU, and ODU come to mind initially). But, these teams really didn't come into their own until their 3d or 4th years when their initial recruits were upper classmen. Mercer is just in its second year (and first year of scholarship football).

I don't know how well you have followed the SoCon historically, but the gloom and doom (and frequently wishful thinking) on this board about how the SoCon in no longer a premier FCS conference is pure BS.
Furman has won a I-AA championship and made two other visits to the title game. They've had a down decade but have worked their way back up.
Chattanooga actually has a good football team. Unfortunately, many on AGS confuse UTC with Chattown and have developed negative feelings toward the team. Huesman has trouble winning the "big games", but the Mocs could hang with any FCS team in the country.
Little ol' Wofford has won more than its share of SoCon titles in the last decade. Our home attendance is 5-6 times enrollment.
Samford has steadily built a quality program.
The Citadel has unique recruiting challenges, but is still among the FCS attendance leaders, and frequently plays well against and often beats more recognized teams (with one exception ;))
Western Carolina has had a bad two decade spell, but the program is turning the corner.
We won't talk about VMI.
The bottom line is that a very young Mercer team will be playing against a lot of experienced teams that play at the highest level of FCS football, and it will take Mercer some time to get up to the SoCon level.

dungeonjoe
September 3rd, 2014, 09:58 PM
You haven't seen anything. The real haters have moved to the Belch. There were ASU fans who hated Elon with an intensity unrelated to anything on the football field due to some incident that occurred well before many of us were born.

Most of us don't hate Mercer. I feel that Mercer is a great addition to the SoCon, and that the SoCon is the best place for Mercer for many years to come. ETSU will be an asset now that Stanton is history.

Some of us are still excitable boys on this board, but there are old fogies here who look on things with a wizened perspective. FCS teams started de novo (instead of moving up) can be quite successful very quickly (Georgia Southern, CCU, FAU, and ODU come to mind initially). But, these teams really didn't come into their own until their 3d or 4th years when their initial recruits were upper classmen. Mercer is just in its second year (and first year of scholarship football).

I don't know how well you have followed the SoCon historically, but the gloom and doom (and frequently wishful thinking) on this board about how the SoCon in no longer a premier FCS conference is pure BS.
Furman has won a I-AA championship and made two other visits to the title game. They've had a down decade but have worked their way back up.
Chattanooga actually has a good football team. Unfortunately, many on AGS confuse UTC with Chattown and have developed negative feelings toward the team. Huesman has trouble winning the "big games", but the Mocs could hang with any FCS team in the country.
Little ol' Wofford has won more than its share of SoCon titles in the last decade. Our home attendance is 5-6 times enrollment.
The Citadel has unique recruiting challenges, but is still among the FCS attendance leaders, and frequently plays well against and often beats more recognized teams (with one exception ;))
Western Carolina has had a bad two decade spell, but the program is turning the corner.
We won't talk about VMI.
The bottom line is that a very young Mercer team will be playing against a lot of experienced teams that play at the highest level of FCS football, and it will take Mercer some time to get up to the SoCon level.

de novo. Sounds like a bad wine or something that can cause an erection that can last for more than four hours. I am glad that Wofford education is paying off on a football message board :)
My Wofford brother is on point. Mercer will be contending in the SoCon, it will happen just not this year.

OL FU
September 4th, 2014, 06:54 AM

Dead on correct:D

Mocs123
September 4th, 2014, 10:13 AM
1. Furman. I think losing Hannon hurts them but they did beat a decent football team convincingly without two of their own star players. They keep the top spot.

2. Chattanooga. Should have beat CMU last week but laid an egg in the second half. We are talented but still trying to put everything together for a full game. BIG test this week.

3. Wofford. Don't bet against the terriers.

4. Sanford. Looked awful against TCU but I am not going to knock them for a loss against an FBS team

5 Western Carolina. Never thought I would see the day but I think this may be a middle of the pack SoCon team and not the push over we have seen for years.

6. Citadel. The bulldogs are still a dangerous team. They will not be the conference champs but will help decide who is.

7. VMI. Not a great team, but better then they were the last few years they were in the SoCon.

8. Mercer. This will be the week to see how far away they are from competing with the top teams in the SoCon. I think they struggle in their first year in the conference and that is no way a put down of Mercer. They will get their revenge in BB season.

9. ETSU. Still waiting to get back in the game.

Mocs123
September 4th, 2014, 10:37 AM
VMI@ Bowling Green
VMI 3
Bowling Green 42

Brevard@WCU
Brevard 10
WCU 45

Jacksonville St.@UTC (game of the week)
JSU 24
UTC 28

Furman@Mercer
Furman 31
Mercer 13

Citadel@FSU
Citadel 3
FSU 63

longtimemocfan
September 4th, 2014, 02:44 PM

We won't talk about VMI.

Yes sometimes I think we get a bad rap because of Chattown. It does cause me to vacate certain threads I would otherwise have posted in.

AshevilleApp2
September 4th, 2014, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=walliver;2137332]You haven't seen anything. The real haters have moved to the Belch. There were ASU fans who hated Elon with an intensity unrelated to anything on the football field due to some incident that occurred well before many of us were born.

Can you shed any light on this, because this is the first time I've heard of it. Not saying you are wrong, but I'm unaware. Thanks.

LarryBoy
September 4th, 2014, 03:15 PM

Mercer likes to trumpet their accomplishments from last year. And they should. It's good marketing.

But in the eyes of your SoCon brethren, the Bears haven't earned anything yet. So when we see videos with Mike Ditka, and Nancy Grace (?!), and Tony Dungee making National Championship claims before Mercer's even played a SoCon game– or any competition resembling even a lower-level SoCon team– feathers are going to be ruffled. Again, great marketing... we'll see Saturday if the program is ready to back up that marketing.

(Somewhat related, I've heard about the Mercer communications department heading up the video effort, and the results are top notch. If SoCon teams had a commercial-making contest, you guys would win, without question.)

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I think the most annoying aspect of the whole Mercer thing is that no one is saying that Mercer will Forever Be In The Gutter, it's just that there is an abundance of evidence to suggest that Mercer should be concerned about this season, and they don't seem to even make that concession.

And perhaps we/I am confusing Mercer fans with one or two posters but the frequency of posting is what people notice, not necessarily the abundance of posters. For instance, I've just recently become "okay" with Chattanooga fans because I realize Chattown is just one guy.

citdog
September 4th, 2014, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=walliver;2137332]You haven't seen anything. The real haters have moved to the Belch. There were ASU fans who hated Elon with an intensity unrelated to anything on the football field due to some incident that occurred well before many of us were born.

Can you shed any light on this, because this is the first time I've heard of it. Not saying you are wrong, but I'm unaware. Thanks.

Nobody cares.

walliver
September 4th, 2014, 03:46 PM

I never really understood the issue.
If has been widely reported that ASU abstained during the vote to allow Elon in the SoCon, but I doubt that was related.
Several posters suggested something happened in the Carolina's Conference but I've long since forgotten what the issue was. It never seemed like a major deal to me.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Furman released the game notes for this week's game. Looks like the Paladins are going with the R-Fr Dillon Woodruff instead of the true FR Blazejowski.

Woodruff has been impressive in limited action (both against GWU). Good arm and very nimble on his feet.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Mercer should be concerned about this season, and they don't seem to even make that concession.

Interesting observation. If you would, please elaborate on how you believe Mercer Fans SHOULD express their concession that they are concerned about this season. Maybe try to place yourself in the mindset of a Mercer Football Fan today and post what Mercer Fans SHOULD be posting to meet your standard of appropriate concern and concession. I think that would be quite helpful and enlightening.

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Interesting observation. If you would, please elaborate on how you believe Mercer Fans SHOULD express their concession that they are concerned about this season. Maybe try to place yourself in the mindset of a Mercer Football Fan today and post what Mercer Fans SHOULD be posting to meet your standard of appropriate concern and concession. I think that would be quite helpful and enlightening.

The fact that you guys pretend that beating an NAIA team by 3 and letting them score 40 on you isn't a point of concern is what I'm talking about.

These conversations go:

Random Socon team fan: "Mercer will do well in time, but this year isn't going to be their year, look at how they performed against an NAIA team"

Mercer fan: "preposterous! Said NAIA team did this, that, and the other!"

Random Socon team fan: "That's cool, but if you look at what we qualify as a decent FCS team and how they perform against NAIA teams, there are reasons qualitative and otherwise that show that having a game such as that should be a point of concern for any FCS team"

Random Socon team fan: "Yeah, but--"

Mercer fan: "PREPOSTEROUS! SAID NAIA TEAM DID THIS, THAT, AND THE OTHER"

And thus the cycle continues in the most annoying and rehashed way. And it's really a unique situation because I don't think I've ever seen any fans of any team on here take the time and effort to make the point of an NAIA team being good at the frequency and intensity as Mercer fans. I could easily be wrong, but seriously, I defy anyone to go back and find an example of any fan of an FCS team doing what certain Mercer fans are currently doing. Whenever FCS teams come close to losing to NAIA teams, it's always an embarrassment and indicative of a very bad team. You'll never see a team that loses to a sub-d1 team make the playoffs. I'm willing to bet, they haven't won a conference championship. I could be wrong at those points. With that said, I think there are some clear diverging trends in college athletics, with the talent gap between divisions growing more and more.

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2014, 04:52 PM
and THAT is why everyone's kind of annoyed with Mercer fans right now. It's as if they think FCS football hasn't seen similar stories as them. Like, we're the ignorant ones when our observational sample size is clearly much bigger

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 05:14 PM
So when we see videos with Mike Ditka...and Tony Dungee making National Championship claims before Mercer's even played a SoCon game...feathers are going to be ruffled.

So...Let's say you have a very nice vehicle...a Cadillac maybe, and you've driven a nice Caddy for years. Then, your next door neighbor, who doesn't have a car at all, buys a Bradley GT kit car (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Automotive) that is self-built, looks like a sexy sports car, and sounds like a Ferrari...kinda...but it is DEFINITELY NOT a Ferrari) and 2 of your other neighbors, who are considered car experts, come over and tell him, and anyone around, that it's a really cool car; that it's so cool in fact, that someday, it just might even be worth more than a Caddy. And your neighbor shows his Bradley to & tells all of your other neighbors what the car experts said. Would that ruffle your feathers? Maybe it could, I guess...but I think I would be so content with my nice Caddies (having owned a string of 13 of them) and, actually, quite glad that my neighbor finally has a car, after not having one for 70+ years...that him having his 'cute' Bradley GT and what those guys told him (and others) wouldn't bother me in the least...unless I was very insecure or feared that, maybe, just maybe, those car experts were right.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 05:38 PM
The fact that you guys pretend that beating an NAIA team by 3 and letting them score 40 on you isn't a point of concern is what I'm talking about.

These conversations go:

Random Socon team fan: "Mercer will do well in time, but this year isn't going to be their year, look at how they performed against an NAIA team"

Random Socon team fan: "That's cool, but if you look at what we qualify as a decent FCS team and how they perform against NAIA teams, there are reasons qualitative and otherwise that show that having a game such as that should be a point of concern for any FCS team"

Random Socon team fan: "Yeah, but--"

Mercer fan: "PREPOSTEROUS! SAID NAIA TEAM DID THIS, THAT, AND THE OTHER"

And thus the cycle continues in the most annoying and rehashed way. And it's really a unique situation because I don't think I've ever seen any fans of any team on here take the time and effort to make the point of an NAIA team being good at the frequency and intensity as Mercer fans. I could easily be wrong, but seriously, I defy anyone to go back and find an example of any fan of an FCS team doing what certain Mercer fans are currently doing. Whenever FCS teams come close to losing to NAIA teams, it's always an embarrassment and indicative of a very bad team. You'll never see a team that loses to a sub-d1 team make the playoffs. I'm willing to bet, they haven't won a conference championship. I could be wrong at those points. With that said, I think there are some clear diverging trends in college athletics, with the talent gap between divisions growing more and more.

Jeez - I asked you to help me (and other Mercer Fans) present ourselves in a way that will rise to your standard of appropriate concession and concern and you respond by reciting a dream that, apparently, you had last night. That's not helpful at all. How will we SoCon & Football newbies ever reach your level of astute discernment if you won't help us? I'm sure increasing my observational sample size will help some once I witness my 1st-ever SoCon Football game Sat. night, but I've seen in my brief time on Earth that the best way to teach/learn is through examples. If you won't role-play and do it, maybe you would be kind enough to point out, specifically, the many posts of fans of a team (a team that has not been downtrodden for years...as that would be akin to comparing apples to orangutans) who have demonstrated the 'YT Gold Standard' of humility, concession, and concern that Mercer Fans SHOULD be exhibiting.

LarryBoy
September 4th, 2014, 06:08 PM
So...Let's say you have a very nice vehicle...a Cadillac maybe, and you've driven a nice Caddy for years. Then, your next door neighbor, who doesn't have a car at all, buys a Bradley GT kit car (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Automotive) that is self-built, looks like a sexy sports car, and sounds like a Ferrari...kinda...but it is DEFINITELY NOT a Ferrari) and 2 of your other neighbors, who are considered car experts, come over and tell him, and anyone around, that it's a really cool car; that it's so cool in fact, that someday, it just might even be worth more than a Caddy. And your neighbor shows his Bradley to & tells all of your other neighbors what the car experts said. Would that ruffle your feathers? Maybe it could, I guess...but I think I would be so content with my nice Caddies (having owned a string of 13 of them) and, actually, quite glad that my neighbor finally has a car, after not having one for 70+ years...that him having his 'cute' Bradley GT and what those guys told him (and others) wouldn't bother me in the least...unless I was very insecure or feared that, maybe, just maybe, those car experts were right.

Okay.

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Jeez - I asked you to help me (and other Mercer Fans) present ourselves in a way that will rise to your standard of appropriate concession and concern and you respond by reciting a dream that, apparently, you had last night. That's not helpful at all. How will we SoCon & Football newbies ever reach your level of astute discernment if you won't help us? I'm sure increasing my observational sample size will help some once I witness my 1st-ever SoCon Football game Sat. night, but I've seen in my brief time on Earth that the best way to teach/learn is through examples. If you won't role-play and do it, maybe you would be kind enough to point out, specifically, the many posts of fans of a team (a team that has not been downtrodden for years...as that would be akin to comparing apples to orangutans) who have demonstrated the 'YT Gold Standard' of humility, concession, and concern that Mercer Fans SHOULD be exhibiting.

Old Dominion. Hell, VMI being back in the Socon is comparable. Samford wasn't nearly as loud-mouthed either.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have to link a wikipedia article to make your metaphor make sense, you're reaching quite a bit

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Old Dominion. Hell, VMI being back in the Socon is comparable. Samford wasn't nearly as loud-mouthed either.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have to link a wikipedia article to make your metaphor make sense, you're reaching quite a bit

You're losin' me YT...As I've said before, I'm a Bear of very little brain. Old Dominion? VMI? Samford? I don't see the relevance of your response to my humble request for a personal demonstration or specific examples (posts) instructive of appropriate behavior to your standards? I really can't grasp it by your citing names of schools.

Oh...and it's a parable, not a metaphor. You should have completed your GenEd English requirements by now, no? I won't link to the wikipedia articles explaining the difference between the two though because, apparently, I would, once again, regretfully, fall short of your prescribed behavior standards.

citdog
September 4th, 2014, 06:42 PM
fubear see McNeese State threads for instruction on sandbagging.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 07:01 PM
fubear see McNeese State threads for instruction on sandbagging.

Much appreciated CitDog -when (if ever) I need that lesson, I will know where to look. See YT, it's not that hard to provide instruction to us completely clue-less, completely new to football, completely new to the SoCon fans. My gosh, if a BELLHOP can do it, anyone can!

dungeonjoe
September 4th, 2014, 07:54 PM
You're losin' me YT...As I've said before, I'm a Bear of very little brain. Old Dominion? VMI? Samford? I don't see the relevance of your response to my humble request for a personal demonstration or specific examples (posts) instructive of appropriate behavior to your standards? I really can't grasp it by your citing names of schools.

Oh...and it's a parable, not a metaphor. You should have completed your GenEd English requirements by now, no? I won't link to the wikipedia articles explaining the difference between the two though because, apparently, I would, once again, regretfully, fall short of your prescribed behavior standards.

Perhaps you have amnesia. Look back at the SoCon threads of one to one and a half weeks ago. Reinhardt was the greatest team in NAIA. I wouldn't think it would be that hard for an introspective fact oriented web genius as you. Most of us see this for what it is.

rokamortis
September 4th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I know you probably aren't seriously looking for real advice but do a search on AGS for posts containing Coastal between 2003 and 2006. You'll see the disrespect given to a startup team in a startup conference. At least Mercer is in a traditionally strong conference and has the respect of many of its peers for all other sports and as an institution of higher learning - benefits Coastal didn't have when it started football in 2003. Most of the schools on Coastal's first 2 year schedule were DI (scholarship and non-scholarship) or DII - we may have had an NAIA or two in the first two years.

In our second year we went 10-1 and got nothing but crap - but we felt like we were ready for the playoffs. In our third year we were 9-1, beat defending national champion JMU and only beaten by eventual national champion App State, going into our last game and were all set for the playoffs and lost a heartbreaker to CSU in the last game of the season to go 9-2. We didn't get the playoffs and most of the posters on AGS just laughed and moved on.

In 2006 we went 9-2 and made the playoffs but got annihilated by App State in the playoffs on their run for back to back championships.

So, what did I learn?
1) Just win baby. By winning you'll get more respect. You'll have faith in your team but no one else will. All of the words in the world won't mean ****. Take Citdog for example, until we beat them he had no positive thing to say about Coastal. Now he says we are a good football team.
2) People on AGS can really be asshats to new programs. Coastal, going into our 12th year, still doesn't get a ton of respect from others although we've had a pretty decent program. We did slide back some in 2007-2011 but are bouncing back and getting respect is tough. I think many of the southern teams are cool with us now but thats because we play them - the northeastern and western teams are still out.

Good luck!

PaladinNation
September 4th, 2014, 08:22 PM
and for a commercial break take a look at the slideshow for Furman's new football complex, sweet;
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/photos/0002/index#PhotoSwipe1409791815224

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2014, 08:45 PM

You're not smart. I need not explain myself further. I guess an additional grievance is the continued failure of reading comprehension on y'all's part.

(not to mention your definition of a parable is pretty weak)

I don't have to reference specific points you bring up, just trends of conversation. You may not have said anything especially vitriolic but you've clearly engaged in the repetitive "cool story bro, lemme tell you about Reinhardt" posting behavior that's annoying, and perhaps by itself no big deal, but when contextualized in the totality of the posting of the Mercer base, it creates a trend in discourse that's clearly annoying.

OrangeAndBlack
September 4th, 2014, 08:54 PM
I think the most annoying aspect of the whole Mercer thing is that no one is saying that Mercer will Forever Be In The Gutter, it's just that there is an abundance of evidence to suggest that Mercer should be concerned about this season, and they don't seem to even make that concession.

And perhaps we/I am confusing Mercer fans with one or two posters but the frequency of posting is what people notice, not necessarily the abundance of posters. For instance, I've just recently become "okay" with Chattanooga fans because I realize Chattown is just one guy.

I've said time and time again that I'm about as rational as can be, so let me remind you of my power ranking and prediction post in this very thread:

I listed Mercer in the power poll at #8 out of 8. I can't list them any lower unless you want me to put ETSU at #8 and Mercer at #9?

I said Mercer had a 1/10 chance (read: Furman 90% favorite) with their original QB.

I then said Mercer has a 1/4 chance (read:Furman 75% favorite) with their new freshman QB.

My 31-30 victory score is if we hit the 25% chance to win.

I don't know how I can make any more concessions for you. I also have way less than 100 posts, so my post frequency is low. I enjoy discussing football, but I'm not going to be misquoted as a nutcase when I'm the exact opposite.

Go Bears!

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I've said time and time again that I'm about as rational as can be, so let me remind you of my power ranking and prediction post in this very thread:

I listed Mercer in the power poll at #8 out of 8. I can't list them any lower unless you want me to put ETSU at #8 and Mercer at #9?

I said Mercer had a 1/10 chance (read: Furman 90% favorite) with their original QB.

I then said Mercer has a 1/4 chance (read:Furman 75% favorite) with their new freshman QB.

My 31-30 victory score is if we hit the 25% chance to win.

I don't know how I can make any more concessions for you. I also have way less than 100 posts, so my post frequency is low. I enjoy discussing football, but I'm not going to be misquoted as a nutcase when I'm the exact opposite.

Go Bears!

I never quoted you so.....?

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2014, 09:04 PM
About 75% + of FUBeAR's posts are:

--long ramblings about the ~eye test~ that Mercer's players pass (I don't read them, that's for sure)
--talking up Reinhardt
--Talking down to those who point out how stupid talking up Reinhardt is
--insulting other posters, calling them stupid, etc for their evaluation of Reinhardt, etc
--playing dumb as if his posting style isn't one big detraction after another.

And he has less than 200 posts, so it's not like a recent engagement he's involved himself in, he came out the gate acting this way. There's Alexale, Chattown, and soon enough FUBeAR

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2014, 09:42 PM
What is nice about all of this is that these matters are settled on the field. Mercer will either be run off the field Saturday night, or they won't. Either way, everyone will know more about it.

OrangeAndBlack
September 4th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Well, I'm not involved in any of that. I can only imagine if Furman wins the "I told you so's" directed at me when I made them the big favorite.

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Well, I'm not involved in any of that. I can only imagine if Furman wins the "I told you so's" directed at me when I made them the big favorite.

nah, I don't think that's necessary. I hope Furman wins just so we can have a hint of realism among some of the more zealous fans.

Thumper 76
September 4th, 2014, 10:00 PM

--long ramblings about the ~eye test~ that Mercer's players pass (I don't read them, that's for sure)
--talking up Reinhardt
--insulting other posters, calling them stupid, etc for their evaluation of Reinhardt, etc

And he has less than 200 posts, so it's not like a recent engagement he's involved himself in, he came out the gate acting this way. There's Alexale, Chattown, and soon enough FUBeAR

This. Im an outside observer for a MVFC team who reads these threads to gain some perspective on other conferences, and all Ive been reading so far is how good an NAIA school is from one poster. In the MVFC, and the SOCON as well I would imagine, having a close game with a NAIA is embarrassing, let alone trying to build up said NAIA team as a way to prove that yours isnt that bad. Thats embarrassing. Being a start up team its acceptable to have close games with those teams is acceptable. But to repeatedly try to use it as reasoning for your team to be surprisingly good is boarderline insulting. And then to act like you have vastly superior football intellect to back it up and talk down to posters who call out said sillyness, is just being a tool.

Look, by all accounts Mercer should be a solid program once they get running. And maybe they will be closer than people think in this next game, but please lay off of using a close NAIA game as the reasoning for your thought process. Nothing wrong with being optimistic for your team, but you dont have to be a pretentious ass.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Perhaps you have amnesia. Look back at the SoCon threads of one to one and a half weeks ago. Reinhardt was the greatest team in NAIA. I wouldn't think it would be that hard for an introspective fact oriented web genius as you. Most of us see this for what it is.

Most do; not all.

I do have a sense Reinhardt has an excellent chance of being very competitive on a national level in the NAIA this year. Pretty sure I never said "greatest," but it is obvious that misquoting a poster is considered within acceptable behavior tolerances, at least among the AnkleBiter contingent.

citdog
September 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM
but you dont have to be a pretentious ass.

Well he is a furmanite so it's actually a requirement.

Thumper 76
September 4th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Well he is a furmanite so it's actually a requirement.

See this is the knowledge I hope to gain here. Solid factual reporting of things I didnt know before.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 10:12 PM
I know you probably aren't seriously looking for real advice but do a search on AGS for posts containing Coastal between 2003 and 2006. You'll see the disrespect given to a startup team in a startup conference. At least Mercer is in a traditionally strong conference and has the respect of many of its peers for all other sports and as an institution of higher learning - benefits Coastal didn't have when it started football in 2003. Most of the schools on Coastal's first 2 year schedule were DI (scholarship and non-scholarship) or DII - we may have had an NAIA or two in the first two years.

In our second year we went 10-1 and got nothing but crap - but we felt like we were ready for the playoffs. In our third year we were 9-1, beat defending national champion JMU and only beaten by eventual national champion App State, going into our last game and were all set for the playoffs and lost a heartbreaker to CSU in the last game of the season to go 9-2. We didn't get the playoffs and most of the posters on AGS just laughed and moved on.

In 2006 we went 9-2 and made the playoffs but got annihilated by App State in the playoffs on their run for back to back championships.

So, what did I learn?
1) Just win baby. By winning you'll get more respect. You'll have faith in your team but no one else will. All of the words in the world won't mean ****. Take Citdog for example, until we beat them he had no positive thing to say about Coastal. Now he says we are a good football team.
2) People on AGS can really be asshats to new programs. Coastal, going into our 12th year, still doesn't get a ton of respect from others although we've had a pretty decent program. We did slide back some in 2007-2011 but are bouncing back and getting respect is tough. I think many of the southern teams are cool with us now but thats because we play them - the northeastern and western teams are still out.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice Roka. Wish I could have some impact on #1, but that's up to the players, coaches, and staff. I am merely a Bear of very little brain whiling away some time goofing around with folks on the interwebs. And the answer to #2 is TRUE. Hope your QB continues to shine. I'm good friends with some of his family members and coached against him in 'pound ball' and Jr's. They are good peeps!

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 10:18 PM
You're not smart. I need not explain myself further. I guess an additional grievance is the continued failure of reading comprehension on y'all's part.

(not to mention your definition of a parable is pretty weak)

I don't have to reference specific points you bring up, just trends of conversation. You may not have said anything especially vitriolic but you've clearly engaged in the repetitive "cool story bro, lemme tell you about Reinhardt" posting behavior that's annoying, and perhaps by itself no big deal, but when contextualized in the totality of the posting of the Mercer base, it creates a trend in discourse that's clearly annoying.

I regret to inform you that I am unable to continue as your protege. I have selected rokamortis & citdog as my AGS mentors. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 10:20 PM

--talking up Reinhardt

Cool story bro. Have I told you about Reinhardt?

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 10:27 PM

Ditto, my Halloween colored freen. As part of my admittedly emotional pick (in another thread I believe), I picked FU as a possible 66-6 winner. But there's no reason to let actual comments get in the way of some good old-fashioned, unbridled hubris and bluster.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 10:46 PM
This. Im an outside observer for a MVFC team who reads these threads to gain some perspective on other conferences, and all Ive been reading so far is how good an NAIA school is from one poster. In the MVFC, and the SOCON as well I would imagine, having a close game with a NAIA is embarrassing, let alone trying to build up said NAIA team as a way to prove that yours isnt that bad. Thats embarrassing. Being a start up team its acceptable to have close games with those teams is acceptable. But to repeatedly try to use it as reasoning for your team to be surprisingly good is boarderline insulting. And then to act like you have vastly superior football intellect to back it up and talk down to posters who call out said sillyness, is just being a tool.

Look, by all accounts Mercer should be a solid program once they get running. And maybe they will be closer than people think in this next game, but please lay off of using a close NAIA game as the reasoning for your thought process. Nothing wrong with being optimistic for your team, but you dont have to be a pretentious ass.

Thanks for the constructive criticism Thumper. I certainly have not intended to act like I have vastly superior football intellect. After all, Mercer is new to Football and to the SoCon. That being the case, I have said I do know a little 'bout it, but I think that's about as far as I've gone. Apologies if that (or anything else I may have said) overstates my level of expertise. Yeah, the NAIA 'thing'...I guess it is a little bit finely cut, but I think I have only talked about that team in relation to their competitiveness WITHIN the NAIA and have avoided making any pronouncements about what that may mean in terms of Mercer's competitiveness in the SoCon and/or FCS. Others may draw conclusions from those comments or, more frequently, misstate what I actually posted. Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe I did post A=B, so therefore C, but I don't think so. If I have, I shouldn't have because I do believe and I think I stated that drawing conclusions from inter-divisional (if that's the right way to phrase it) is almost impossible for me to do. Finally, citdog is accurate in his assessment following your post. Part of my reason for now affiliating with Mercer is to gain some humility. I'm a work in progress.

chattanoogamocs
September 4th, 2014, 10:50 PM

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

Oh well, I tried. ;)

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Ditto, my Halloween colored freen. As part of my admittedly emotional pick (in another thread I believe), I picked FU as a possible 66-6 winner. But there's no reason to let actual comments get in the way of some good old-fashioned, unbridled hubris and bluster.

I just don't see that sort of blowout. Bruce Fowler has shown me he is not the type that intends to embarrass an opponent. I think that is especially true against a former colleague.

walliver
September 4th, 2014, 10:54 PM

You haven't played a SoCon game yet, and already are bringing on the Mark of the Beast.

Maybe DungeonJoe can sacrifice a Lamb to atone for this blasphemy.

chattanoogamocs
September 4th, 2014, 10:58 PM
I don't mean to pile on, because I like that someone is keeping up the dialogue for the SoCon (I am glad there are Mercer fans out there that want to engage)

...but does anyone think that Fubear sounds a lot like Georgia State fans after they had a decent first season (mainly getting wins against non DI and Pioneer league schools)...then they beat Shorter to start their second season...and since then they have won 4 of their last 35 games.

thirdgendin
September 4th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Has someone promised a prize to any poster than can make 50% of the posts in a given thread? Did I miss that somewhere? That has to be the only explanation for this, right?

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Plot Twist: FUBeAR is actually Bobby Lamb.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2014, 11:01 PM
I don't mean to pile on, because I like that someone is keeping up the dialogue for the SoCon (I am glad there are Mercer fans out there that want to engage)

...but does anyone think that Fubear sounds a lot like Georgia State fans after they had a decent first season (mainly getting wins against non DI and Pioneer league schools)...then they beat Shorter to start their second season...and since then they have won 4 of their last 35 games.

The authenticity of Mercer's perceived hubris will be determined at 6:00 on Saturday night.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I just don't see that sort of blowout. Bruce Fowler has shown me he is not the type that intends to embarrass an opponent. I think that is especially true against a former colleague.

Agreed, but if the talent gap is as wide as so many believe that it is - and I know that I really can't tell because my 'glasses' are all fouled up with orange (and purple) filters - then he may not be able to stop it. He is not going to take a knee in the 3rd quarter. He has back-ups now that may be starters later, who need game reps when they can get 'em. Back in the day, FU was playing a now-CAA powerhouse and we called the same play (toss sweep - no surprise to FU old-timers) every play the entire 2nd half...once to the left and once to the right...over and over again without variation. That's all we ran; no passes...and I think we scored about 3 or 4 more TD's, as their offense kept giving us back the ball. It could be, essentially, out of his control and get very ugly...or maybe the talent gap is not so wide. We'll know by the 2nd quarter, if not sooner, Sat night. GO BEARS! MAUL 'EM!!

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 11:06 PM
You haven't played a SoCon game yet, and already are bringing on the Mark of the Beast.

Maybe DungeonJoe can sacrifice a Lamb to atone for this blasphemy.

Nice work walliver - 100th+ person I've told my prediction to...and you are the 1st to get it.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Plot Twist: FUBeAR is actually Bobby Lamb.

hmmm?...citdog BLASPHEMED with a similar comment earlier in this thread, but this does not rise to nearly that level. So....I got nuthin'...other than I am certain that Coach Lamb would be deeply offended by your reckoning.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Agreed, but if the talent gap is as wide as so many believe that it is - and I know that I really can't tell because my 'glasses' are all fouled up with orange (and purple) filters - then he may not be able to stop it. He is not going to take a knee in the 3rd quarter. He has back-ups now that may be starters later, who need game reps when they can get 'em. Back in the day, FU was playing a now-CAA powerhouse and we called the same play (toss sweep - no surprise to FU old-timers) every play the entire 2nd half...once to the left and once to the right...over and over again without variation. That's all we ran; no passes...and I think we scored about 3 or 4 more TD's, as their offense kept giving us back the ball. It could be, essentially, out of his control and get very ugly...or maybe the talent gap is not so wide. We'll know by the 2nd quarter, if not sooner, Sat night. GO BEARS! MAUL 'EM!!

Those type games are thankfully few and far between.

I've mentioned a few times the Elon/Furman game in 2002. Furman's starters were on the bench by the 2nd Q. Ike West had something like 176 yards on three catches and three touchdowns. Elon couldn't cover him if they had 15 players on the field instead of 11. I recall the last half of that game was pretty much toss sweep or full back dive.

The only way I see that outcome is if Furman scores a couple on defense (which they are apt to do from time to time), or Mercer simply cannot move the ball.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2014, 11:22 PM
The authenticity of Mercer's perceived hubris will be determined at 6:00 on Saturday night.

As Coach Mitchell (Joni) once said, I've looked at love from both sides now...and my assessment is that the FU fan base is way more hubrisier than MU's, with me excepted, of course, but citdog already provided a plausible explanation for that character flaw. :D

dungeonjoe
September 5th, 2014, 06:18 AM

San Diego State fans come to mind, Georgia State too. Wofford's entrance into the SoCon predates this board, but their winning ways in 2003 brought me here. Wofford was good that year; but I remember the gruff my posts took from Delaware fans, Georgia Southern, and app fans. It is part of the rites of passage here. Kind of like hazing at the citadel :)

I think that whenever our prospective schools break new ground, we all crow a little. We just don't like eating the crow later.

dungeonjoe
September 5th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Mercer is a a first year member and we need to be understanding of their perceived hubris. It will grow and mature until it is a full blown arrogance, competitive with any member institution that has been active in the conference for more than half a century. We all have the seeds of such greatness within us.

OL FU
September 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM
We have been waiting patiently for the ability to show any hubris at all.:)

The Cats
September 5th, 2014, 07:55 AM
I though ASU and GSU left with all the hubris ?

dungeonjoe
September 5th, 2014, 07:59 AM
We have been waiting patiently for the ability to show any hubris at all.:) Quit being modest!

dungeonjoe
September 5th, 2014, 08:01 AM
They took a good deal of it. It is a race now to see who will fill their shoes.

FCSfan
September 5th, 2014, 10:54 AM
been enjoying reading this thread and many thoughts abound...
fubear does need to recognize there is a rite of passage to be respected and that the bears just aren't that good at present. maybe in time
youngterrier lost me half way through his 2nd essay. dude, your profs are gonna red mark you for wordiness
other mercer posters seem to be more realistic
western is on the rise. their redneck coach is for real
this year's socon race will be the most openly contended in a decade
i cannot even rank the top 5 until probably week 5
app state and ga southern can't even spell hubris much less know the definition but they do like their little universes

OL FU
September 5th, 2014, 12:46 PM
been enjoying reading this thread and many thoughts abound...
fubear does need to recognize there is a rite of passage to be respected and that the bears just aren't that good at present. maybe in time
youngterrier lost me half way through his 2nd essay. dude, your profs are gonna red mark you for wordiness
other mercer posters seem to be more realistic
western is on the rise. their redneck coach is for real
this year's socon race will be the most openly contended in a decade
i cannot even rank the top 5 until probably week 5
app state and ga southern can't even spell hubris much less know the definition but they do like their little universes

I don't think FUBeAR has been that optimistic. He just refuses to be pessimistic.xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I think I'm just going to start playing a drinking game whenever reading responses to me involve something about going to school or being a college student.

It's totally within the realms of realism to assume at this point that I'm closer to the average age of users (though not regular posters) on here xrotatehx

AshevilleApp2
September 5th, 2014, 02:23 PM

Why y'all wanna Bris baby Hu? Seems cruel to me.

citdog
September 5th, 2014, 02:30 PM
I think I'm just going to start playing a drinking game whenever reading responses to me involve something about going to school or being a college student.

It's totally within the realms of realism to assume at this point that I'm closer to the average age of users (though not regular posters) on here xrotatehx

Are you around the same age as the other anti-semites when you march for the extermination of Israel?

FCSfan
September 5th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Are you around the same age as the other anti-semites when you march for the extermination of Israel?

rough citdog, rough

dungeonjoe
September 5th, 2014, 03:42 PM
About the same age as the anti-women gentlemen who protested the inclusion of women at The Citadel.

AshevilleApp2
September 5th, 2014, 03:48 PM
About the same age as the anti-women gentlemen who protested the inclusion of women at The Citadel.

Ding! Ding!

FUBeAR
September 5th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I don't think FUBeAR has been that optimistic. He just refuses to be pessimistic.xthumbsupx

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/dckrice/nail.gif

FUBeAR
September 5th, 2014, 04:17 PM

I like it! I know you will want your game to have the "Gold Standard," so the drink of choice is fairly obvious:
http://thegheek.com/wp-content/uploads/500x375px-LL-2267724d_goldschlager.jpeg

SCPALADIN
September 5th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I like it! I know you will want your game to have the "Gold Standard," so the drink of choice is fairly obvious:
http://thegheek.com/wp-content/uploads/500x375px-LL-2267724d_goldschlager.jpeg

19620...not that there's anything wrong with that.

citdog
September 5th, 2014, 08:13 PM

That was a States' Rights issue. Yet another example of the tyranny of the federals.

thirdgendin
September 6th, 2014, 06:43 PM
At halftime of the 6:00 games, Chattanooga is getting dominated but only trails JSU 17-14 due to 2 pick 6s. The Mocs are being out-gained 265 to -5!

Furman leads Mercer 13-7 in another game of one team leading most of the stats but not seeing a lot of scoreboard separation. Mercer had 1 TD drive, and on it's other 4 drives had 1 total yard and a fumble. Furman has gotten inside the red zone on all five possessions but come away with FG, fumble, FG, TD, blocked FG

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 6th, 2014, 09:57 PM

What happened at WCU under Wagner is apparently happening at the other UT as Charlie Strong has dismissed eight players since he got there. I appreciate how the staff is respected by the high school coaches (same can be said for Tennessee's staff). Speir, I understand, was on the WCU staff before and they turned in some respectable records while he was there.