PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Pick 'em - Week #2

The Cats
August 31st, 2014, 12:25 PM
Week #1 is now in the record book, and it's time to move on to week two.

No Thursday games this week, while both Wofford & Samford have open dates.

Saturday, Sep 06
Jacksonville State at Chattanooga
The Citadel at Florida State
Furman at Mercer
VMI at Bowling Green
Brevard at Western Carolina

Wofford - OPEN
Samford - OPEN

I think the only game that might be in doubt is JSU at Chatty.

catamount man
August 31st, 2014, 12:31 PM
I still plan to be at Cullowings before the game. Hope you'll drop by. GO CATS!

The Cats
August 31st, 2014, 12:33 PM
I still plan to be at Cullowings before the game. Hope you'll drop by. GO CATS! I'll be there.

OL FU
August 31st, 2014, 12:43 PM
Same post as at CS. (with an edit for The Cats:D)

Jacksonville State at Chattanooga - As much as I would like to pick Chatty, I still think that JSU has a hell of a team this year (probably top ten).
Furman at Mercer I have been concerned that the right confluence of odd events might make it tough for Furman in Macon. FU overlooking them, first Mercer SoCon game, Mercer improving from last year, Bobby Lamb revenge factor and then all of a sudden, our QB is out for the year. But, I would have thought Mercer might have made a better showing against a D3 team last week ( at least I think they are D3) and our defense looked pretty stout. I could be wrong and I don't think it will be a blow out with a back up quarter back (Fowler will play it safe), but I ain't too worried. (The edit) By not being a blowout, I think we win by 3 or 4 touchdowns because I don't see Fowler trying to bang them on the head. My guess is he will play it conservatively, 85% running plays or better. but I could be pleasantly surprised.
VMI at Bowling Green
Brevard at Western Carolina http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif

walliver
August 31st, 2014, 12:48 PM
The only game where there is any doubt is Chatty vs Jax State. That game could go either way, but I think Huesman and Son pull out at 38-28 win.

All the other games should be 21+ big wins.

SU DOG
August 31st, 2014, 01:46 PM
JSU - Hope I'm wrong and SoCon team wins.
FSU - No Chance. Disappointed in The Citadel showing last night, especially the offense. Should be a good paycheck.
Furman - Bears will be hit by reality of a different talent level than what they are used to.
Bowling Green - VMI may be improved, but missed a good chance in the opener.
Western - The Cats have gotten over this type of game being a threat. VERY impressive opener.
Wofford - OPEN - Looked strong against Tech. May have to consider them as a contender. NEVER underestimate Ayers.
Samford - OPEN - Unimpressive in opener, even against TCU. O-Line is BIG weakness and better improve in a hurry, hopefully they will.

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 01:58 PM
JSU
FSU
vermin
bg
BREVARD

catamount man
August 31st, 2014, 02:06 PM
JSU
FSU
vermin
bg
BREVARD

I'd bet but you would
a) leave your wallet at home
b) claim some great Citadel lineage, which I have always found suspect to begin with, as an excuse not to pay
c) claimed you are owed the money "because I'm Jewish"
d) go into hiding for about 6 months

Pathetic! FSU will hang 90 on you. Apologies to the REAL Citadel alums and fans on the board. Not directed at any of you.

utcfan
August 31st, 2014, 02:06 PM
UTC>JSU
FSU>Cit
FU>MU
BG>VMI
WCU>Brev

kdinva
August 31st, 2014, 02:13 PM
Saturday, Sep 06
Furman at Mercer
VMI at Bowling Green

FYI: VMI R-Fr. QB Al Cobb had a very fine debut @ Bucknell, even thought VMI was without their #1 WR........offense will be good this year.....def. needs to learn to make stops. Allowing Bucknell to drive 75 yards in 40 seconds before the half was the difference, as was Bucknell's punt return for a TD.

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 02:20 PM
I'd bet but you would
a) leave your wallet at home
b) claim some great Citadel lineage, which I have always found suspect to begin with, as an excuse not to pay
c) claimed you are owed the money "because I'm Jewish"
d) go into hiding for about 6 months

Pathetic! FSU will hang 90 on you. Apologies to the REAL Citadel alums and fans on the board. Not directed at any of you.

1. I carry a man purse
2. Don't be jealous that my family tree has branches.
3. It ain't easy being a Hebe.
4. If we lose to WCU six months wouldn't be enough.

I agree FSU will score as many as they want.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2014, 02:20 PM
UTC over JSU - Mocs are bound to win a close game against someone at some point. Maybe this is the time.
FSU over the Citadel - not close.
Furman over Mercer - not close.
Bowling Green over VMI - not close.
WCU over Brevard - not close.

catamount man
August 31st, 2014, 02:22 PM
1. I carry a man purse

Even I had to LOL on that one! :D

OL FU
August 31st, 2014, 02:24 PM
1. I carry a man purse

I prefer the Furman branch xthumbsupx Hope she is doing ok.

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 02:27 PM
I prefer the Furman branch xthumbsupx Hope she is doing ok.

She is. Sent me the preseason writeups from the Greenville Snooze about furman with this handwritten in the margin........" Preseason writeups about a REAL program. Enjoy! Love, Mom"

OL FU
August 31st, 2014, 02:31 PM
She is. Sent me the preseason writeups from the Greenville Snooze about furman with this handwritten in the margin........" Preseason writeups about a REAL program. Enjoy! Love, Mom"

First Class all the wayxthumbsupx Glad to hear she is doing well.

Skyhawk71
August 31st, 2014, 03:00 PM
Jacksonville State @ Tennessee-Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Florida State
Furman @ Mercer
Virginia Military @ Bowling Green
Brevard @ Western Carolina

bonarae
August 31st, 2014, 03:17 PM
Jacksonville State
Florida State
Furman
Bowling Green
Western Carolina

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2014, 05:16 PM
But, I would have thought Mercer might have made a better showing against a D3 team last week ( at least I think they are D3)

Reinhardt is in the NAIA. They have had 3 scholarship recruiting classes. The NAIA allows 24 full scholarships in football that may be split among any number of athletes. They also allow unlimited scholarships for athletes who do not compete at the Varsity level. So, during the 2012 practice year, Reinhardt, I believe, could have offered as many scholarships as their bean-counters would allow as long as the total scholarship money for the ones who played in 2013 and this year did not exceed 24 full schollies. Reinhardt won the NAIA Mid-South Conference Western Division last year and is picked to win it again this year. Last year, Reinhardt led the eventual NAIA National Runner-up 24-7 with 10 minutes to play, but, somehow, lost 28-24. They appear to be better this year and played near mistake-free football last Thursday night - 0 turnovers, only gave Mercer 2 1st downs on penalties. DISCLAIMER: This post is intended to be factual information about Reinhardt Football and in no way reflects my opinion of the quality of NAIA Football vis a vis FCS, or more specifically, SoCon Football. DISCLAIMER TRANSLATION: Chattownmocs, save your litany of juvenile denunciations. We've all seen it before.

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2014, 05:37 PM
NAIA is NAIA is NAIA

Milktruck74
August 31st, 2014, 05:46 PM
Saturday, Sep 06
Jacksonville State at Chattanooga - Mocs Put together a complete game and win 31-21
The Citadel at Florida State - El Cid hangs for the first quarter and then!!!! 56-10
Furman at Mercer - Furple keeps it classy and only wins by 28
VMI at Bowling Green - Sorry Keedets...not your week.
Brevard at Western Carolina - Western gets on!!!

longtimemocfan
August 31st, 2014, 06:32 PM
Jax St. @ Chattanooga. Under Huesman the home team has won all 3 contests. The 2 games at Jax St were decided in the last moments of the game. The one game in Finley was a rout 38-10. I don't think the game will be that one sided, but I think we win.

The Citadel@Florida St
Furman@Mercer
VMI@Bowling Green
Brevard@Western Carolina Cats showing improvements.

SU DOG
August 31st, 2014, 06:42 PM
Reinhardt is in the NAIA. They have had 3 scholarship recruiting classes. The NAIA allows 24 full scholarships in football that may be split among any number of athletes. They also allow unlimited scholarships for athletes who do not compete at the Varsity level. So, during the 2012 practice year, Reinhardt, I believe, could have offered as many scholarships as their bean-counters would allow as long as the total scholarship money for the ones who played in 2013 and this year did not exceed 24 full schollies. Reinhardt won the NAIA Mid-South Conference Western Division last year and is picked to win it again this year. Last year, Reinhardt led the eventual NAIA National Runner-up 24-7 with 10 minutes to play, but, somehow, lost 28-24. They appear to be better this year and played near mistake-free football last Thursday night - 0 turnovers, only gave Mercer 2 1st downs on penalties. DISCLAIMER: This post is intended to be factual information about Reinhardt Football and in no way reflects my opinion of the quality of NAIA Football vis a vis FCS, or more specifically, SoCon Football. DISCLAIMER TRANSLATION: Chattownmocs, save your litany of juvenile denunciations. We've all seen it before.

But this thread is SoCon Pick'em - Week #2. Do you have picks for the games?

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2014, 07:21 PM
But this thread is SoCon Pick'em - Week #2. Do you have picks for the games?

Over 40% (9 of 22) of the prior posts in this thread are not discussing picks for the games. If you are the thread monitor, I'm thinking you aren't doing a very good job. Any reason why you selected my post, as opposed to the other 8, to call out as not being on topic?

SU DOG
August 31st, 2014, 07:58 PM
LOL, I'm not a monitor, and I don't really care if you pick or not. My thought was simply that every school except Mercer has a fan or two who have picked here on this thread. Just thought it might be of interest to see what a Bears Fan thought. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

dungeonjoe
August 31st, 2014, 08:23 PM
Week #1 is now in the record book, and it's time to move on to week two.

No Thursday games this week, while both Wofford & Samford have open dates.

Saturday, Sep 06
Furman at Mercer
VMI at Bowling Green

Wofford - OPEN
Samford - OPEN

I think the only game that might be in doubt is JSU at Chatty.

JSU vs. Chattanooga: Chattanooga wins. Always take the city over the city state
THE Citadel vs. Florida State: Florida State wins. The Seminoles will have the boys in wannabe gray retreating all the way to Gettysburg
Furman vs Mercer: The Battle of the six-lettered semiliterate Baptists. Mercer will be begging for mercy.
VMI vs. Bowling Green: The keydets will be bowled over
Brevard vs Western Carolina: After getting gored late by the bulls last week, the Cats will easily knock the wind out of the tornados.

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 08:33 PM
LOL, I'm not a monitor, and I don't really care if you pick or not. My thought was simply that every school except Mercer has a fan or two who have picked here on this thread. Just thought it might be of interest to see what a Bears Fan thought. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

I'm watching the two of you VERY CLOSELY! Strikes and or bannings will follow.

http://momjovi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/LITTLEFOCKERS_DeNiro2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Over 40% (9 of 22)

Nice job Poindexter

catamount man
August 31st, 2014, 08:34 PM
JSU vs. Chattanooga: Chattanooga wins. Always take the city over the city state
THE Citadel vs. Florida State: Florida State wins. The Seminoles will have the boys in wannabe gray retreating all the way to Gettysburg
Furman vs Mercer: The Battle of the six-lettered semiliterate Baptists. Mercer will be begging for mercy.
VMI vs. Bowling Green: The keydets will be bowled over
Brevard vs Western Carolina: After getting gored late by the bulls last week, the Cats will easily knock the wind out of the tornados.

LOL! Yes but remember what Norman Maclean's Presbyterian minister dad used to say. A Methodist is just a Baptist who can read. LOL!

dungeonjoe
August 31st, 2014, 08:38 PM
Actually, a Methodist is a Baptist who can drink...at least in parts of the South.

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 08:52 PM
Actually, a Methodist is a Baptist who can drink...at least in parts of the South.

Goyim xnodx

dungeonjoe
August 31st, 2014, 09:04 PM
Goyim xnodx
"Those People" Robert E. Lee
Please accept my apologies for raising the percentage of non-pick 'em posts on this thread. I am one of those people.

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 09:09 PM
"Those People" Robert E. Lee
Please accept my apologies for raising the percentage of non-pick 'em posts on this thread. I am one of those people.

Marse Robert had the RIGHT idea!

I am unapologetic.

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 09:18 PM
FUBEAR,

We know that Mercer is a new program and you don't know how these SoCon Threads usually go. In the past by post #3 someone had called apphole a bleeding gash, ok it was USUALLY me, and I had been accused of having consensual relations with shannon faulkner. Please attempt to fit in. In the words of the GREATEST JEW except maybe that dude from Nazareth............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gxg5HWTIAY

dungeonjoe
August 31st, 2014, 09:25 PM
You are unapologetic, unreconstructed, undaunted, and unibrowed xrotatehx

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2014, 09:31 PM

Okey-dokey then...

'Cocks pound Mocks by somewhere between 6 and 9
'Noles ROLL by 72, but the Bellhops improve and only drop the luggage on the ground 7 times this week
Falcons throw a strike, but spare the wee-dets and only win by 48
Can't-Amounts can this week - purrfect win by the kitties by 21
Furman @ Mercer - 17-14 by either team OR 66-6 Paladins (not enough common data points and too much conflicted heart (double-conflicted heart, actually) vs. brain 'noise' to narrow my pick any further than that)

chattanoogamocs
August 31st, 2014, 10:43 PM
Being that the Mocs are better than average, but not dominant by any stretch of the imagination, each game of the season scares the living crap out of me. I think the Mocs can win at home this weekend...but if they play like they did at CMU, they will lose by more than 4. I think CMU has a better defense than JSU, but JSU can put up more points than CMU. JSU fans seem to really dislike Chattanooga, so it ought to be a slobber knocker.

The Furman / Mercer game will be interesting. Since this is their first "real" (meaning DI scholarship) football game, it will be a good measuring stick of the very young program. How big is the gap?

OL FU
September 1st, 2014, 08:36 AM

Baptist can drink. Just not in publicxembarrassedx

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2014, 12:37 PM

What's the difference between Baptists and Episcopalians? Episcopalians say hi to each other in the liquor store.

walliver
September 1st, 2014, 07:47 PM

Why should you always take TWO Baptists fishing with you?

If you take just one, he will drink all your beer.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2014, 06:43 AM
Why should you always take TWO Baptists fishing with you?

If you take just one, he will drink all your beer.

Jews don't acknowledge Jesus.
Anglicans don't acknowledge the Pope.
and Baptists don't acknowledge each other when leaving the liquor store.

There must be millions of them.

dungeonjoe
September 2nd, 2014, 07:37 AM
Jews don't acknowledge Jesus.
Anglicans don't acknowledge the Pope.
and Baptists don't acknowledge each other when leaving the liquor store.

There must be millions of them.
Baptists won't do the ice bucket challenge, Because there' not enough water poured from an ice bucket.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2014, 08:20 AM
Baptists won't do the ice bucket challenge, Because there' not enough water poured from an ice bucket.

No you got that wrong. It is one thing to have it dumped on your head, it is totally another to have someone dunk you in it.xnodx