PDA

View Full Version : NEC for real? CCSU gets big win, Duquesne nearly beats FBS Buffalo

Pard4Life
August 31st, 2014, 11:30 AM
And, you have Sacred Heart with two All-Americans.

Granted Towson may have been a bit overrated, but they are still a top CAA team... and Duquesne is well, Duquesne... and Buffalo is an FBS team, though I somewhat view the mid-lower tier MAC teams as FCS teams anyhow.

Is the NEC starting to become a powerful force? Maybe the PL fans should stop complaining about scheduling games against the league?

Go Green
August 31st, 2014, 11:46 AM
I, for one, am thrilled that CCSU won yesterday.

Dartmouth has a terrible habit in recent years of taking some OOC opponents lightly, and then getting beaten by them (Sacred Heart, Bucknell, Holy Cross).

With CCSU's victory, Dartmouth should be under no illusions that CCSU is going to be a walkover. They are a good team. If we play well, we will beat them. If we don't, they will beat us.

aceinthehole
August 31st, 2014, 11:55 AM
I've been saying this for years and was often ridiculed for my assessment of the NEC, but it has been clear that NEC can compete heads-up vs. the PL/Ivy/MEAC and is now closing the enormous gap vs. the CAA. I think there are multiple reason for this.

1. NEC moved away from the grant-in-aid model and increased athletic-related aid to 40 equivs. Need-based aid can be supplemented up to FCS limits. So we don't need 60 schollys to get "counter status" and compete with "full scholly" programs.

2. Institutional commitment to football by the league and the schools. The NEC Front Office is well run and each school is investing in the right coaches for this level. Quality coaching is just as important, if not more, than budget and schollys.

3. Playoff AQ access really helps recruiting. NEC schools are now competing on an equal footing with other FCS conferences in this regard.

4. Other programs dropping football has had a huge impact on the NEC. Gone are MAAC schools (St. John's, Fairfield, LaSalle, Siena, St. Peter's), as well as the the Northern A-10/CAA programs that upgraded to FBS or dropped the sport (UConn and UMass - Boston U., Hofstra and Northeastern). Better talent is now available to NEC programs.

Based on small enrollments, lack of football pedigree/history, and lower regarded academic stature, the NEC will always remain at a disadvantage to the rest of the region in FCS, but IMO long gone are the days of the D-III model of the MAAC and that the Pioneer continues to use.

danefan
August 31st, 2014, 12:05 PM
One off the NEC can play with anyone. Like most 2nd level leagues, it's teams and the league itself lack the depth, but any given Saturday, including playoff Saturdays, the top NEC teams can play with the best.

clenz
August 31st, 2014, 01:14 PM
SH was in the fringe of my top 25 preseason... They might be there this week

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brad82
August 31st, 2014, 02:01 PM
NEC is up and coming,I have been saying that for years.

bonarae
August 31st, 2014, 03:18 PM
Finally something positive about the NEC. They are the true "keepers of the light" of Northeast FCS football.

Fordham
August 31st, 2014, 03:32 PM

Granted Towson may have been a bit overrated, but they are still a top CAA team... and Duquesne is well, Duquesne... and Buffalo is an FBS team, though I somewhat view the mid-lower tier MAC teams as FCS teams anyhow.

Is the NEC starting to become a powerful force? Maybe the PL fans should stop complaining about scheduling games against the league?
I had my epiphany back in 2005 after we got waxed by Albany. Been trying to tell others about it ever since. NEC progress is as much of a motivator for why the PL had to go scholarship as was anything else. We were driving in the left hand lane minding our own business when they blew by us on the right and gave us the finger as they passed.

blackbeard
August 31st, 2014, 06:16 PM
It was a good weekend for the NEC, probably the best since I have been following. SHU has been getting most of the preseason hype coming off their great 2013 season and solid playoff performance against a very good Fordham team. But CCSU, Duquesne and Bryant all served up notice that no one is going to roll over and hand SHU another conference title.

The NEC has more than held its own against the PL, Ivy and MEAC the last 3-4 years. Glad to see the NEC getting some respect, its has earned it.

Pard4Life
August 31st, 2014, 07:32 PM
Right, forgot about the Bryant win! Stony Brook has usually fielded a strong team.

We have been complaining about scheduling NECs on the Lafayette board, but given the level of competition that the NECs are these days, it's likely not a bad thing. I'd still rather play W&M and Delaware etc., but Sacred Heart and CCSU are strong opponents. Should be an exciting game on Saturday.

Pard4Life
August 31st, 2014, 07:33 PM
Finally something positive about the NEC. They are the true "keepers of the light" of Northeast FCS football.

Oh come on bonarae, that's supposed to be Lehigh! xthumbsdownx

MR. CHICKEN
August 31st, 2014, 07:56 PM

19607.....TIGERS ARE PICKED 5TH IN CAA.....AN RANK 113 OUTTAH 124......IN LOST TALENT.......FROM LAST SEASON.....AWK!

Brad82
August 31st, 2014, 08:51 PM
NEC-keep pushing! A rising tide lifts all ships!!

Go Green
August 31st, 2014, 09:33 PM
We have been complaining about scheduling NECs on the Lafayette board..

There have been plenty of NEC critics on the Ivy board as well. After CCSU's win, one of the loudest critics (a Dartmouth fan) finally admitted that it's possible the NEC ain't so bad after all.

Here's hoping that the NEC has success against all non-Ivy opponents!!!

:)

bonarae
August 31st, 2014, 10:11 PM
Oh come on bonarae, that's supposed to be Lehigh! xthumbsdownx

Lehigh has tanked quite a bit as of late... because of Fordham. xconfusedx

There have been plenty of NEC critics on the Ivy board as well. After CCSU's win, one of the loudest critics (a Dartmouth fan) finally admitted that it's possible the NEC ain't so bad after all.

Here's hoping that the NEC has success against all non-Ivy opponents!!!

:)

Yes, I'm with you here. Hope they'll schedule more opponents west and south of the Alleghenies...

melloware13
August 31st, 2014, 10:20 PM
Among Delaware's next 6 games, I have the most questions about the Sacred Heart game (others are Del St, Colgate, JMU, Elon, Towson). Even last year, I would have asked to pass what someone was on if they had said that then. If I remember correctly, Duquesne was the tightest game of our non-conference regular season opponents in 2010 (over S Dakota St), so it's a good sign for the NEC.