View Full Version : If I-A doesn't fill enough bowl slots, will they invite I-AA teams?

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 05:55 PM
I've always wondered what the rules are per the NCAA. If there aren't enough I-A teams (with winning records) to fill all 64 bowl slots (in 32 bowl games), will the bowls then invite I-AA teams that don't make the I-AA playoffs? I thought by rule they couldn't invite a I-A team if they had a losing record?

Can anyone clarify this? Is there a precedent for this ever happening?

Paul

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 06:04 PM
I know that a lot of people don't like the I-A bowls, but I have always been curious about this (if a bowl doesn't fill their bowl slots and not enough I-A teams become bowl eligible)?

Paul

Russ B
October 31st, 2006, 06:07 PM
The top I-AA teams are going to be having playoff games at the same time as the lower tier bowl games, no?

BisBison
October 31st, 2006, 06:09 PM
The top I-AA teams are going to be having playoff games at the same time as the lower tier bowl games, no?

Not the Bison :(

Russ B
October 31st, 2006, 06:10 PM
The top eligible teams, then. :)

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 06:14 PM
So what's the answer? Would a bowl game HAVE to invite a winning I-AA team should no winning I-A teams be available? They wouldn't go against the grain and pick a LOSING I-A team, would they? Losing teams aren't eligible for postseason player under I-A rules, correct?

Ralph, can you clarify this?

Paul

FlyYtown
October 31st, 2006, 06:15 PM
If 12-18 I-A schools with 6 or more wins do not average at least 15,000 this season which a few have not; they will look at I-AA Schools. One big example of that could be Akron; if they were at 6 wins this year; they would not go to a bowl due to not averaging 15,000 in attendance.

Per an inside source and talking with Terry Pluto of the Akron Beacon Journal.....

So instead of some school from the MAC at the Motor City Bowl sponsored by Amana toilets, you may see a I-AA opponent! YIPPEE!

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 06:18 PM
So they'd invite, say, Northern Arizona instead of an Akron?

Paul

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 06:24 PM
Surely there are some I-AA teams that could average 30,000 fans to a bowl game.

Paul

Mountaineer#96
October 31st, 2006, 06:30 PM
If it was in the Southeast App could bring 30,000........but we got the NC on our minds out here.

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 06:32 PM
30,000?

Paul

bobcatfan06
October 31st, 2006, 07:00 PM
App could easily pull 30,000 if it was within reasonable distance of Boone. They average over 20,000 at home games if I'm not mistaken. Would be more than that if they had a bigger stadium.

Steven Bryant
October 31st, 2006, 07:04 PM
There was a possibility a few years ago of there not being enough teams to fill all the bowls, but the rules were loosened up a bit so the likelyhood of there not being enough IA teams to fill all the bowls is pretty rare.

Steve

OleGriz
October 31st, 2006, 07:05 PM
I can't see how they could let a I-AA team into the bowls. Remember that teams are only allowed to count 1 I-AA game per year toward bowl eligibility. That means (as an example) NDSU has only two of the six required wins for bowl eligibility since they could only count their wins over Ball State and one of their other wins. Letting any team count multiple I-AA wins toward bowl eligiblity sets a precedent contadictory to the requirement of sufficient I-A wins that would be too exploitable for I-A teams. It is much more likely that they would either cancel a bowl or let a 5-7 I-A team in (since that teams 5 wins are more than NDSU's "two").

RabidRabbit
October 31st, 2006, 07:38 PM
I can't see how they could let a I-AA team into the bowls. Remember that teams are only allowed to count 1 I-AA game per year toward bowl eligibility. That means (as an example) NDSU has only two of the six required wins for bowl eligibility since they could only count their wins over Ball State and one of their other wins. Letting any team count multiple I-AA wins toward bowl eligiblity sets a precedent contadictory to the requirement of sufficient I-A wins that would be too exploitable for I-A teams. It is much more likely that they would either cancel a bowl or let a 5-7 I-A team in (since that teams 5 wins are more than NDSU's "two").

Rotten shame as this could be a way for the NCAA to recognize the folly of their ways regarding over-achieving transitional teams.

Purple Pride
October 31st, 2006, 07:44 PM
Rotten shame as this could be a way for the NCAA to recognize the folly of their ways regarding over-achieving transitional teams.

AMEN Brother!! I'd tell the D-1 big boys they could kiss my ass, unless they wanted to "drop down" and try their luck at real football and see if they were the last one standing.:thumbsup:

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 07:45 PM
But you still need 6 wins (of any kind) to be bowl eligible. They can't just rewrite the rules on the fly.

Paul

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 09:02 PM
6 wins is still 6 wins.

Paul

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2006, 09:08 PM
Sounds to me like you've hit the nail on the head there OleGriz. IAA teams just don't have the "SOS" required by their rules.

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 09:18 PM
They require 6 total wins. SOS doesn't matter if they can't otherwise fill a bowl slot. They'll give it out to WINNING TEAMS at the I-AA level if it means either that or cancelling a bowl game and denying the other team out of a nice payday. The NCAA won't allow a team to cancel a bowl game if they can't find another team. It would suck for the other team and their fans.

Paul

Jacks76
October 31st, 2006, 09:39 PM
AMEN Brother!! I'd tell the D-1 big boys they could kiss my ass, unless they wanted to "drop down" and try their luck at real football and see if they were the last one standing.:thumbsup:

Nice. :)

Paul

arkstfan
November 1st, 2006, 12:03 AM
#1. Bowl eligible means 6 qualifying wins (at least 5 I-A and one against a I-AA averaging 60 equivalencies over the past two years) to go to a bowl affiliated with your conference. Bowls not contracted with your conference require 7 qualifying wins (at least 6 I-A and one I-AA as above) UNLESS there are not enough 7 win teams, then they can dip into the 6 win pool.

#2. The closest it came to happening that there weren't enough was 2004 when there were 56 slots available and 59 eligible teams and two of them (Clemson and South Carolina) withdrew from bowl consideration. There were a lot of 5-6 teams that year, so several would have made it to 6-6 with extra game to play and more open access to schedule I-AA schools. The extra game is making a difference. The Sun Belt in 2004 played a 7 game league schedule and had two eligible teams, this year there will be three or four on a seven game slate.

#3. There aren't any I-A schools in real danger of not making attendance. Right now 6 are sub 15,000 in reported attendance, two have neutral site games they can count that put them over that level. The remaining four either can rely on last year's attendance for their once in every two years requirement or have sufficient backing lined up to meet it via the TICKETS SOLD standard.

Jacks76
November 1st, 2006, 01:41 AM
Ok.

Paul

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2006, 01:50 AM
I'd hate to see a I-AA in a bowl game anyway. Not that I wouldn't love to see App get a chance at a mediocre I-A (who we can very much play with and beat), but we wouldn't GET a chance. The best teams in I-AA go to the playoffs and even if the NCAA were to bend the rule requiring 5 I-A wins, all D-I teams are still only allowed one post-season deal (whether it be playoffs or a bowl game). Thus we'd have to send a team that doesn't represent the elite of I-AA and likely wouldn't help the national public's opinion of the kind of football played here.

Keeper
November 1st, 2006, 04:09 AM
As pointed out earlier, the odds are practically nil that
there wouldn't be enough bowl qualifiers. The NCAA
ensured that when they allowed the 6and6 records
and more AA opponents. I for one would like to see
history made and have there be a shortage. Even
the most ardent fan would agree there are too many
bowl games with too many conspicuous invitees.
Overall, the matchups just aren't as enticing as in
the past. If there is a team shortage, I say let
the Bison in, that would be fascinating conversation.
If they are denied by the NCAA there would be plenty
of talk of hypocrisy. :rotateh: :nod: :rotateh: :nod: :rotateh: :nod: :rotateh:

arkstfan
November 1st, 2006, 06:51 AM
BTW there is precedent.

The Liberty Bowl wanted to invite Alcorn because of the buzz over McNair and the NCAA told the folks in Memphis that six I-A wins means six I-A wins. Of course there were ample six win teams that year.

BisonBacker
November 1st, 2006, 11:10 AM
Not all of them, NDSU will be at home :nono:

Appstate29
November 1st, 2006, 11:25 AM
30,000?

Paul

As someone earlier stated, if the bowl was in the SE, I believe we coud easily put 25k+ in the stands, the vast majority of our alumni reside in the SE.

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 11:42 AM
As someone earlier stated, if the bowl was in the SE, I believe we coud easily put 25k+ in the stands, the vast majority of our alumni reside in the SE.

I'm not even an ASU alum (I live close, though) and I would go to see them in a bowl game. I think there are more than a few people in that boat, too.

Russ B
November 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Not all of them, NDSU will be at home :nono:

Yes, I acknowledged that in post #5.

WUTNDITWAA
November 1st, 2006, 01:41 PM
We could let San Diego go and kill two birds with one stone.

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM

We already committed to play in the Super Bowl....sorry.

CopperCat
November 1st, 2006, 01:52 PM
They wouldn't invite NAU b/c their attendance is HORRIBLE for their football games.

Mr. Tiger
November 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM
BTW there is precedent.

The Liberty Bowl wanted to invite Alcorn because of the buzz over McNair and the NCAA told the folks in Memphis that six I-A wins means six I-A wins. Of course there were ample six win teams that year.

You are correct. I remember the Liberty Bowl lobbying for this game, but the NCAA refused to change the rules.

JohnStOnge
November 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM
I'm sure somebody probably already said this but as I understand it you have to have at least 5 wins over I-As to be bowl eligible. If that's correct, that pretty much rules out any I-AAs.

arkstfan
November 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM

Shame too because the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego is going to be short a team unless Army can suddenly sweep Air Force, Navy, and Notre Dame. Probably end up with San Jose State or Nevada unless Boise State finishes undefeated and makes a BCS Bowl.

If that happens probably a MAC or Sun Belt team (hopefully MAC, I can't afford that long of a trip).

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2006, 07:12 PM
I'm sure somebody probably already said this but as I understand it you have to have at least 5 wins over I-As to be bowl eligible. If that's correct, that pretty much rules out any I-AAs.

Atleast five wins over I-As as long as you have a sixth over a I-AA...

Death Dealer
November 1st, 2006, 11:27 PM
I'm not even an ASU alum (I live close, though) and I would go to see them in a bowl game. I think there are more than a few people in that boat, too.

I'd definitely go....take my sister with me (she's an App alum).

Dabnus Brickey
November 2nd, 2006, 12:45 PM
They'd be afraid to lose to us in a bowl game. We should have bowls for those who don't make the playoffs or maybe something like an NIT tourney.