PDA

View Full Version : Furman QB Reese Hannon out for year w/ broken ankle

LarryBoy
August 30th, 2014, 09:43 PM
For the second straight year, Furman loses a QB for the season in the season opener against Gardner-Webb.

The heir apparent would be RS-Freshman Dillon Woodruff (who played the second half of last year's game against GW with a broken shoulder, then sat the rest of the season). Also waiting in the wings is true freshman PJ Blazejowski, who was highly regarded in this year's class and has looked great in practice. But he was surely going to be redshirted.

A big blow for Reese and his family. Really hate this for him.

Furman may have fallen out of the SoCon race. But last year was a year with crazy amounts of injuries and adversity, as well. Who knows.

BisonFan02
August 30th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Ouch.........that hurts. Never like to see that.

PaladinNation
August 30th, 2014, 10:41 PM
For the second straight year, Furman loses a QB for the season in the season opener against Gardner-Webb.

The heir apparent would be RS-Freshman Dillon Woodruff (who played the second half of last year's game against GW with a broken shoulder, then sat the rest of the season). Also waiting in the wings is true freshman PJ Blazejowski, who was highly regarded in this year's class and has looked great in practice. But he was surely going to be redshirted.

A big blow for Reese and his family. Really hate this for him.

Furman may have fallen out of the SoCon race. But last year was a year with crazy amounts of injuries and adversity, as well. Who knows.

Not sure I'd be so quick to say Furman has fallen out of the SoCon race… Defense played lights out, and last I checked we won. Woodruff is no slouch, better runner, stronger arm, Hannon is a helluva leader, will be interesting to see how quickly the coaches take the gloves off Woodruff.

citdog
August 30th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Sorry for Hannon. He's a good player.

furman sucks

chattownmocs
August 30th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Does a broken ankle take that long to heal?

LarryBoy
August 30th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Not sure I'd be so quick to say Furman has fallen out of the SoCon race… Defense played lights out, and last I checked we won. Woodruff is no slouch, better runner, stronger arm, Hannon is a helluva leader, will be interesting to see how quickly the coaches take the gloves off Woodruff.

It's going to be tough. The defense, no doubt, will be the key, and tonight they were beastly. Once Hannon went down, and we fumbled the next play, the D overwhelmed G-W.

Hannon is a great leader. The players and coaches have been saying that for a long time now. Even when he wasn't at his sharpest, he made good things happen.

I don't think we've seen enough of Dillon Woodruff to know what we're getting. He's played three not-necessarily-noteworthy healthy quarters, all against Gardner-Webb. He had that great run on third down tonight, but otherwise was handled with kid gloves, as coaches conceded that the defense was going to keep G-W out of the game for the final quarter.

If our O-Line makes big strides, and we can keep the guys we have left healthy, Furman will be competitive. Hopefully this won't be another 2003– an amazing defense wasted due to an offense that just couldn't get anything going.

LarryBoy
August 30th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Does a broken ankle take that long to heal?

By my understanding, after surgery, ankles take up to 8 weeks to heal and several months to regain full mobility. And that's for people that don't have 250 lb. linemen trying to kill them.

bjtheflamesfan
August 30th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Reconstructive surgery plus rehab. It takes time to get the mobility back after an injury like that as my friend so astutely said above

PaladinNation
August 31st, 2014, 12:31 AM
Furman has a had more than their fair share of injuries… players of note that didn't play tonight.
Carl Rider top tackler from last season (defense didn't miss him, but glad he'll be back next week)
Hank McCloud top rusher from last season (supposed to be back next week)
The Robinson brothers Terry and Gary (not looking so good for this season)

chattanoogamocs
August 31st, 2014, 01:09 AM
Man, that really sucks. I don't wish something like this on any team.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2014, 07:15 AM
I don't see any reason why this takes Furman out of the SoCon race. Woodruff was a highly regarded QB in high school. He also gives Furman a running threat that Hannon does not really have.

If Furman's defense plays like it did last night, the Paladins can win plenty of games. GWU is a veteran team with some good players on offense and they hardly threatened the end zone against Furman. Furman may win a lot of 9-6 games, but I don't see many teams running away on us with our defense.

LarryBoy
August 31st, 2014, 07:52 AM
I don't see any reason why this takes Furman out of the SoCon race. Woodruff was a highly regarded QB in high school. He also gives Furman a running threat that Hannon does not really have.

If Furman's defense plays like it did last night, the Paladins can win plenty of games. GWU is a veteran team with some good players on offense and they hardly threatened the end zone against Furman. Furman may win a lot of 9-6 games, but I don't see many teams running away on us with our defense.

I like the optimism, and hope you're right, of course. My point was simply that it's a big void to fill, and you can't discount Hannon's big-game experience. He showed poise beyond his years from the get-go. Who knows, maybe Woodruff will do the same.

youwouldno
August 31st, 2014, 08:33 AM
It's awful for Hannon but the impact on Furman/SoCon is harder to say. The turnaround that started last year has been led by defense and special teams.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2014, 02:03 PM
It's awful for Hannon but the impact on Furman/SoCon is harder to say. The turnaround that started last year has been led by defense and special teams.

Right. Look at the numbers. Furman's offense wasn't exactly lights out even with Hannon. Our defense scored plenty of times last year.

Furman needs someone who can hold onto the ball and get it in #3's hands. Certainly we've got someone on the roster that can do that.

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2014, 02:08 PM
I don't think this takes Furman out of the socon race but at the same time I think it will signify more of the same for Furman, more so than an improvement. That being, offense may be pedestrian, but the defense and special teams will certainly carry the team.

Games will be close, going for and against FU's favor.

PaladinNation
August 31st, 2014, 04:22 PM
Highlights of the FU/GWU game… amazing how quickly Fowler has changed the defensive front speed and athletic ability.
http://youtu.be/2Bl5_LsqnF4

longtimemocfan
August 31st, 2014, 06:16 PM
This is really bad news. Hannon is a gamer no matter how you slice it. Offensive numbers may not have been great, but he didn't make mistakes and he did a good job of managing the game.

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 06:29 PM
Dillon Woodruff?

Why didn't his parents name him.....

Charleston Beaufort
Coosawatchie Rantowles

etc etc

jesse174
September 1st, 2014, 12:43 PM
Furman has a chance to go 4-0 with the schedule they have. Hopefully that will give coach's time to get the QB situation going. I wonder if PJ can still play or is he already redshirted? Anybody know?

OL FU
September 1st, 2014, 12:47 PM
Furman has a chance to go 4-0 with the schedule they have. Hopefully that will give coach's time to get the QB situation going. I wonder if PJ can still play or is he already redshirted? Anybody know?

My understanding is that he hasn't been red-shirted.

- - - Updated - - -

Dillon Woodruff?

Charleston Beaufort
Coosawatchie Rantowles

etc etc
xlolx
I thought you were going to say Greenville Spartanburg since the kinda go together

youwouldno
September 1st, 2014, 01:16 PM
Redshirts are determined after the season, based on playing time.

walliver
September 1st, 2014, 02:23 PM
Dillon Woodruff?

Charleston Beaufort
Coosawatchie Rantowles

etc etc

I prefer Round O Aynor

walliver
September 1st, 2014, 02:33 PM
Getting hurt in the first game essentially ensures him of a medical redshirt for this year, so he should still have 2 good years left if he stays healthy.
I just hope his career isn't like Andy Summerlin's, where he starts collecting Social Security before he graduates.

I think he will be missed. With a freshman QB (true or RS), you never know what will happen. Sometimes you get Armanti Edwards, sometimes you get a prep star you never hear of again. FU still has a good shot at a playoff berth, but Hannon would definitely be messed in December.

SU DOG
September 1st, 2014, 03:10 PM
Cheap shot Walliver, but admittedly funny. LOL

dungeonjoe
September 1st, 2014, 04:10 PM
Summerlin quadruple majored and got two Master's degrees while at Samford. He is truly a Renaissance man.