PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Remembering an Upset for the Ages

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2014, 09:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11410725/the-game-appalachian-state-michigan-ever-forget

A really, really good historic diary of the setup for App State/Michigan. xthumbsupx

Smitty
August 29th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Gah and they have a chance to ruin it by a rematch...

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2014, 09:36 AM
"Let's just run the Furman block and see if it works again."

Yes!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2014, 09:38 AM
ASU's Corey Lynch: The sad part to me is I don't know if I'll ever go back to Appalachian State. I'm embarrassed to go back there because they fired Coach Moore after all that happened.

Discuss.

citdog
August 29th, 2014, 10:36 AM
never heard of 'em

Bisonoline
August 29th, 2014, 10:38 AM
never heard of 'em

Didnt The Citadel upset AR before the Appy upset?

citdog
August 29th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Didnt The Citadel upset AR before the Appy upset?

Yep and the Lamecocks too.

walliver
August 29th, 2014, 11:09 AM
This will probably be one of the last threads about this topic on AGS. In the future, the Sun Belchers will hear about it incessantly.

The game did generate a lot of FCS interest for a short while. ASU actually received votes in the AP Top 25 poll. Michigan's blow-out loss the next week tarnished the lustre a little. When ASU started conference play two weeks later, they fell out of the "others receiving votes" section permanently.

Engineer86
August 29th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Yep and the Lamecocks too.

We don't need to get into your wife's pet names for you and the rest of you platoon. xlolxxlolxxlolx

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2014, 03:33 PM
One of the most inexplicable things in my sports-watching life has been how Corey Lynch was so good at blocking kicks. His blocks were not just tipped or full layouts to get a hand on the ball. He could almost high five the kicker while taking the ball off his foot.

I was surprised at the final result, but like many SoCon fans, I had a front row seat to how good App State was during that period. I didn't expect them to win, but it really didn't surprise me that they did.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Another party heard from on the upset for the ages!

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/824-app-michigan-looking-back-at-an-upset-for-the-ages

Cleets
August 29th, 2014, 07:02 PM
We don't need to get into your wife's pet names for you and the rest of you platoon. xlolxxlolxxlolx

WIFE..!!!
Clearly you've never met Citdog
He's a committed bachelor

Pard4Life
August 29th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Gah and they have a chance to ruin it by a rematch...

Exactly. Why would ASU ever play Michigan again? The rematch will ruin the mystique. Michigan is going to paste them.

In 1896, Lafayette upset Penn, who was in the midst of a 34-game winning streak (and went on to win the next 33). Penn wanted a rematch, and we essentially said 'up yours'. The great thing is that they only gauranteed us $150 to play the game when Penn would net something like $20,000. They got their money, but we got a win. xnodx

My point is: no rematch. Would Chaminade re-match UVA?

eaglewraith
August 29th, 2014, 08:10 PM
The game did generate a lot of FCS interest for a short while. ASU actually received votes in the AP Top 25 poll. Michigan's blow-out loss the next week tarnished the lustre a little. When ASU started conference play two weeks later, they fell out of the "others receiving votes" section permanently.

Correction: The game generated a lot of interest for App State.

Same with NDSU beating Kansas State last year.

Yotes
August 29th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Exactly. Why would ASU ever play Michigan again? The rematch will ruin the mystique. Michigan is going to paste them.

In 1896, Lafayette upset Penn, who was in the midst of a 34-game winning streak (and went on to win the next 33). Penn wanted a rematch, and we essentially said 'up yours'. The great thing is that they only gauranteed us $150 to play the game when Penn would net something like $20,000. They got their money, but we got a win. xnodx

My point is: no rematch. Would Chaminade re-match UVA?
Michigan ain't what they used to be, they barely beat Akron last year, and Appalachian State is certainly better than them.

proasu89
August 29th, 2014, 08:59 PM
About a million reasons for the rematch. There was really no way to say no to this and not come away looking like a scared little B****.

Smitty
August 29th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Michigan ain't what they used to be, they barely beat Akron last year, and Appalachian State is certainly better than them.

Yeah but this is not 2007 App either.

Yotes
August 29th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Yeah but this is not 2007 App either.
They don't have to be, Michigan showed they can lose to about anyone last year.

catamount man
August 30th, 2014, 09:45 AM
espn totally crapped on App again not long ago on GAMEDAY. Not even giving the Apps a remote chance. Herbstreit saying he was "feeling sorry for them". That will piss Boone off.

BisonFan02
August 30th, 2014, 10:03 AM
espn totally crapped on App again not long ago on GAMEDAY. Not even giving the Apps a remote chance. Herbstreit saying he was "feeling sorry for them". That will piss Boone off.

Yeah...that segment was pretty "douchy"...Anything is possible with how bad Michigan's offense has been lately.

WrenFGun
August 30th, 2014, 10:12 AM
It's the best football game I've ever watched.

Smitty
August 30th, 2014, 12:42 PM

Looking pretty good right now!

Cleets
August 30th, 2014, 02:34 PM
What a NIGHTMARE (Yikes!!!) 50 something to 14 and it wasn't even as close as the score might indicate

Yotes
August 30th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Looking pretty good right now!
That went way worse than I ever expected it to go for App. Perhaps Michigan is going to start meeting their potential this year

AshevilleApp2
August 31st, 2014, 04:07 AM
Congratulations to Michigan on a thorough beat down. I hope this is more of an indicator that they are getting back to form than an indicator of how far App has fallen.

Ivytalk
August 31st, 2014, 08:11 AM
Delayed payback.