Montana State
Richmond
Towson
Maine
Furman
Western Kentucky

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Is this really the key indicator of playoff teams? USD at 10? WOW!

Oh, and by the way IF San Diego got sent to Missoula that would be OK with me - we are 1-0 vs. Montana lifetime.......:D

GOTOREROS

birdsflyhigh
October 31st, 2006, 05:39 PM
Gateway is looking good with 6 (out of 8) schools ranked in the upper quarter of I-AA football. And the ISU Redbirds schedule so far has been an absolute monster. 6 of 7 ISU's I-AA opponents (they played so far) are ranked in the GPI top 34, and the Bird's 8th game was on the road against a very good I-A Kansas St. team.

That might be a good thread....which I-AA team has played the toughest schedule so far. Know one thing, I feel sorry for the MSU Bears and the IN St. Sycamores going againt the other 6 top-notch Gateway teams week in and week out. :eek:

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 05:41 PM

The Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for I-AA and top indicator of at-large playoff selection has Massachusetts in the top spot again this week. SAN DIEGO TOREROS ARE #10 and likely to be selected!

This does not look good for the Old Guard... how do we keep San Diego out of the playoffs?!

Live4Griz
October 31st, 2006, 05:42 PM

Oh, and by the way IF San Diego got sent to Missoula that would be OK with me - we are 1-0 vs. Montana lifetime.......:D

GOTOREROS

And we would like to return the favor!!

GO GRIZ

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2006, 05:45 PM
Gateway is looking good with 6 (out of 8) schools ranked in the upper quarter of I-AA football. And the ISU Redbirds schedule so far has been an absolute monster. 6 of 7 ISU's I-AA opponents (they played so far) are ranked in the GPI top 34, and the Bird's 8th game was on the road against a very good I-A Kansas St. team.

That might be a good thread....which I-AA team has played the toughest schedule so far. Know one thing, I feel sorry for the MSU Bears and the IN St. Bears going againt the other 6 top-notch Gateway teams week in and week out. :eek:

Big whoop. All 10 of Montana's opponents are in the top 122. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: ;) ;) :D

FlyYtown
October 31st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Playoff teams based on GPI...

Automatic:
#1 Massachusetts (Atlantic 10)
#3 Montana (Big Sky)
Youngstown State (Gateway)
Hampton (MEAC)
Tennessee-Martin (Ohio Valley)
Lehigh (Patriot)
#2 Appalachian State (Southern)
McNeese State (Southland)

At-Large:
#4 James Madison
Illinois State
Cal Poly
New Hampshire
San Diego
Southern Illinois
Portland State
Northern Iowa

Bubble Teams:
Montana State
Richmond
Towson
Maine
Furman
Western Kentucky

My man.. first off NCAA rules state only 1 Seed Per Conference.
So you must decide between UMASS and JMU; although I think Appy St. will get the seed.

Second off I agree pretty much with everything you got there; but it's impossible for WKU and UNI to each make the playoffs; the loser this week will not be going to any playoffs....

Wanted to throw that out at you... So you decide between your JMU or UMASS... and then you decide that 4th seed.... hey why don't you give Ytown a good look and put them there lol!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 31st, 2006, 06:17 PM

Thats news to me, doesn't sound too fair. Especially if they're co-champions... It could have been that both of them were undefeated this year... what then? An undefeated major conference team doesn't get a seed? That sounds stupid to me! :bang: NCAA needs to look that rule over... xidiotx

birdsflyhigh
October 31st, 2006, 06:20 PM
Flytown, I do NOT know why you continue to post that it is "impossible" for WKU to make the playoffs if they lose to UNI this weekend. :confused: You're throwing out your opinion as if it were fact.

A 7-4 WKU Hilltopper team with wins over SIU and YSU could (and should) get a very good look from the playoff selection crew.

Longhorn
October 31st, 2006, 06:47 PM
So you must decide between UMASS and JMU; although I think Appy St. will get the seed.

Second off I agree pretty much with everything you got there; but it's impossible for WKU and UNI to each make the playoffs; the loser this week will not be going to any playoffs....

Wanted to throw that out at you... So you decide between your JMU or UMASS... and then you decide that 4th seed.... hey why don't you give Ytown a good look and put them there lol!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Did they change the rules? I understand that ASU and GSU were both seeded just a couple years ago. :eyebrow:

placidlakegriz
October 31st, 2006, 07:46 PM

GOTOREROS

We would love to have you!!!!!

CopperCat
October 31st, 2006, 07:56 PM
If USD got in, I would LOVE to see them get the crap kicked out of them so that everybody knew how pathetic they really were. I would also advocate this as USD would be taking the place of a team like MSU who actually played more than just a few decent teams.

And why is Portland State ranked above somebody who beat them IN CONFERENCE PLAY in the GPI?

Go Cats!!!!

ToreroTime
October 31st, 2006, 08:07 PM
If USD got in, I would LOVE to see them get the crap kicked out of them so that everybody knew how pathetic they really were. I would also advocate this as USD would be taking the place of a team like MSU who actually played more than just a few decent teams.

And why is Portland State ranked above somebody who beat them IN CONFERENCE PLAY in the GPI?

Go Cats!!!!

This is not the smack board big guy! I guess someone didn't take enough english classes in college.

RabidRabbit
October 31st, 2006, 08:11 PM
Must a seed go to an autobid conference champ?

If not, Cal Poly, should they win out, would be a likely seed as they'd be top 4 GPI (have to beat Montana AND NDSU, away).

Whether they will one or two should be in if 8-3 with their killer schedule

STACCATS
October 31st, 2006, 08:34 PM
Hey Torrero, crawl back in your hole. You would be 3-8 at best if you played MSU's schedule. Or actually 3-7, because you wouldn't play the last game, like you are trying this year.

MiamiTorero
October 31st, 2006, 08:50 PM
ITS ABOUT THE T!!! THATS ALL WE CARE ABOUT IS THE T!!!

shakdaddy3
October 31st, 2006, 09:01 PM
Flytown, I do NOT know why you continue to post that it is "impossible" for WKU to make the playoffs if they lose to UNI this weekend. :confused: You're throwing out your opinion as if it were fact.

A 7-4 WKU Hilltopper team with wins over SIU and YSU could (and should) get a very good look from the playoff selection crew.

because 7-4 teams don't make the playoffs too often, especially when there are a decent amount of teams at 8-3... although it is not fact that UNI or WKU would not make the playoffs @ 7-4, it is rather likely...

and i am happy that the GPI is only an indicator and not the chooser of the playoff field... hopefully the committe will not make a folly of allowing USD in...

with that said, if and undefeated USD did not make it, BUT a 7-4 team did (whether it is PSU, MSU, WKU, UNI, SIU, etc.) would people consider that a woof? [sane people, not one's that are fans of USD xidiotx cuz i know most of your answer to the question aleady]

GreenDay17
October 31st, 2006, 10:19 PM
You can quit throwing out SIU as a possible 7-4 playoff team. They would only have 6 wins vs D-I competition. The win against Lock Haven doesn't count.

As a side Gateway note - if somehow YSU were to lose their last 2 games (against SIU and WKU) they would also only have 6 wins vs D-I. The win against Slippery Rock doesn't count.

birdsflyhigh
October 31st, 2006, 10:30 PM
GreenDay17, good catch on both the DII win being included in SIU's possible 7-4 record and also on YSU not getting to the magical 7 win mark should they lose their next 2. Really makes one wonder why I-AA teams continue to schedule lower division teams that could jeopardize their playoff chances. You win against lower division teams and it doen't count toward the 7 victory mark, and if you lose, then it's a bad mark against your team.

Appstate29
October 31st, 2006, 11:02 PM
The Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for I-AA and top indicator of at-large playoff selection has Massachusetts in the top spot again this week. SAN DIEGO TOREROS ARE #10 and likely to be selected!

This does not look good for the Old Guard... how do we keep San Diego out of the playoffs?!

two things, please stop using the term Old Guard, it makes you sound stupid and childish, and two, just because USD is #10 in no means you are "likely" to be selected. I noticed you got rid of the gridiron classic, but what about the UC davis game?

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM
two things, please stop using the term Old Guard, it makes you sound stupid and childish, and two, just because USD is #10 in no means you are "likely" to be selected. I noticed you got rid of the gridiron classic, but what about the UC davis game?

The USD AD has already made arrangments with UCD IF San Diego got a bid - it has been worked out already....

GOTOREROS

umassfan
October 31st, 2006, 11:08 PM

You are wrong again but that isnt anything new... There is no rule stating that only 1 seed per conference. As stated in above posts, two socon teams did it recently and the top 4 seed thing isnt all that old.

GreenDay17
October 31st, 2006, 11:54 PM
GreenDay17, good catch on both the DII win being included in SIU's possible 7-4 record and also on YSU not getting to the magical 7 win mark should they lose their next 2. Really makes one wonder why I-AA teams continue to schedule lower division teams that could jeopardize their playoff chances. You win against lower division teams and it doen't count toward the 7 victory mark, and if you lose, then it's a bad mark against your team.

Especially when you play in a tough conference!!!!

FWIW, someone else made the comment on another thread about SIU's DII win...I did then look at some others and found that YSU could be in the same boat.

DetroitFlyer
November 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM
Ok, all of you "old guard" I-AA gurus, ( and since I coined the term, I feel more than free to use it ), has a team with a GPI of 10 or higher, ever been left out of the I-AA playoffs? Maybe Ralph can help with this question? It would also seem to me that the many knowledgable folks in the world of I-AA want to see USD get in. If not, USD would not have consistently high and generally rising rankings each week!:hurray:

Ronbo
November 1st, 2006, 07:51 AM
Playoff teams based on GPI...

Automatic:
#1 Massachusetts (Atlantic 10)
#3 Montana (Big Sky)
Youngstown State (Gateway)
Hampton (MEAC)
Tennessee-Martin (Ohio Valley)
Lehigh (Patriot)
#2 Appalachian State (Southern)
McNeese State (Southland)

At-Large:
#4 James Madison
Illinois State
Cal Poly
New Hampshire
San Diego
Southern Illinois
Portland State
Northern Iowa

Bubble Teams:
Montana State
Richmond
Towson
Maine
Furman
Western Kentucky

It's all moot if UMass or Montana loses another game but I'll wager at 10-1 we get a top 2 seed over Umass at 10-1. 23,500 paying fans vs. 12,000.

Tribe4SF
November 1st, 2006, 07:53 AM
Ok, all of you "old guard" I-AA gurus, ( and since I coined the term, I feel more than free to use it ), has a team with a GPI of 10 or higher, ever been left out of the I-AA playoffs? Maybe Ralph can help with this question? It would also seem to me that the many knowledgable folks in the world of I-AA want to see USD get in. If not, USD would not have consistently high and generally rising rankings each week!:hurray:

I dropped USD a spot this week for a marginal performance against a very bad Morehead State team.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2006, 07:59 AM
If not, USD would not have consistently high and generally rising rankings each week!:hurray:

Take a look at the polls on the far right. USD has stayed in the 18-25 range all year since being ranked, they aren't going any higher unless people start dropping like flies. Those 3 polls are what PEOPLE think of them, not a computer.

BeauFoster
November 1st, 2006, 08:15 AM

It is posted in another thread. Villanova was left out a few years ago with a GPI ranking of 4.

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 08:19 AM
It's all moot if UMass or Montana loses another game but I'll wager at 10-1 we get a top 2 seed over Umass at 10-1. 23,500 paying fans vs. 12,000.

I know that matters as far as home games out of the seeds. But would the committee actually take that into account when ranking the seeds? I thought that all the seeds were guaranteed two home games.

I suppose it would matter for the semis, but if that's the case, JMU, at 10-1 (obviously I think we'd have to win out to get seeded) has better attendance than UMass (if 12,000 is correct, I believe we've been averaging between 15-16K).

Ronbo
November 1st, 2006, 08:42 AM
I know that matters as far as home games out of the seeds. But would the committee actually take that into account when ranking the seeds? I thought that all the seeds were guaranteed two home games.

I suppose it would matter for the semis, but if that's the case, JMU, at 10-1 (obviously I think we'd have to win out to get seeded) has better attendance than UMass (if 12,000 is correct, I believe we've been averaging between 15-16K).

Ralph has always said that the GPI is a good indicator of the at large teams and has never said it has anything to do with seeded teams. I have noticed that the top seeds are usually the same as the SNW poll rankings.

November 1st, 2006, 10:38 PM
... I have noticed that the top seeds are usually the same as the SNW poll rankings.Notice the last two years...

2005 GPI
1. Appalachian St
2. New Hampshire
3. Texas St
4. Montana

2005 SNW
1. New Hampshire
2. Hampton
3. Furman
4. Texas St

SEEDS
1. New Hampshire