PDA

View Full Version : TV Comparison, Week 1: MAC vs. MVFC

Lehigh Football Nation
August 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM
MAC teams compete in 12 games in Week 1. 10 are only streamed online (on ESPN3), 2 appear on national TV networks (ESPNU, CBS Sports Network).

MVFC teams compete in 9 games in Week 1. 6 are streamed on national networks (BTN, ESPNU, ESPN News, Pac 12 Network, and Fox Sports 1.) One is broadcast locally (Western Illinois), and the other two are streamed online.

Who's getting more "exposure"?

Lehigh'98
August 26th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Does this hold up each week or just a byproduct of MVFC playing FBS teams that get coverage nationally?

PAllen
August 26th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Does this hold up each week or just a byproduct of MVFC playing FBS teams that get coverage nationally?

I'm pretty sure that the BTN and Pac 12 Network won't be covering the remainder of NDSU's season. I also question labelling the BTN, Pac12 Network, and Fox Sports 1 as "national networks". That's kind of like Erie, PA calling their airport "International", because they have a flight a day across the lake to Toronto. Technically they may qualify, but it's not quite the same as the national broadcast companies, ESPN, or ESPN 2.

ccd494
August 26th, 2014, 12:17 PM
You are asking the right questions. The MAC has the following games streaming only:

Howard @ Akron, Presbyterian @ Northern Illinois, Chattanooga @ Central Michigan, Colgate @ Ball State, BC @ UMass, Duquesne at Buffalo, Marshall @ Miami, Morgan State @ Eastern Michigan, Ohio @ Kent State, New Hampshire @ Toledo. Of the ten games that are streaming only, ALL are MAC home games. One is a conference game, and one is a MAC school hosting an ACC school (asterisk that UMass-BC game of course, BC is closer to Foxborough than UMass is). The two road games the MAC plays (Bowling Green @ Western Kentucky and Western Michigan @ Purdue) are on either CBSSN or ESPNU.

Compare that to the MVFC. Missouri State @ NW State and Taylor @ Southern Illinois get no coverage. Valpo @ Western Illinois is ESPN3 only. The games the MVFC has on real TV are: Indiana State @ Indiana, Northern Iowa @ Iowa, NDSU @ Iowa State, YSU @ Illinois, SDSU @ Mizzou, and USD @ Oregon.

If the MAC were taking any of those money games instead of buying home games, they'd be on "national" tv too.

This is without getting into the discussion of what "exposure" is worth when you are on the Pac-12 network at 10:30 PM with 200,000 pairs of eyeballs on your game.

SUPharmacist
August 26th, 2014, 12:22 PM
MAC teams compete in 12 games in Week 1. 10 are only streamed online (on ESPN3), 2 appear on national TV networks (ESPNU, CBS Sports Network).

MVFC teams compete in 9 games in Week 1. 6 are streamed on national networks (BTN, ESPNU, ESPN News, Pac 12 Network, and Fox Sports 1.) One is broadcast locally (Western Illinois), and the other two are streamed online.

The 1 week is more exposure, otherwise it is not even a discussion. Additionally, these games only truly generate attention if the upset occurs.

clenz
August 26th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that the BTN and Pac 12 Network won't be covering the remainder of NDSU's season. I also question labelling the BTN, Pac12 Network, and Fox Sports 1 as "national networks". That's kind of like Erie, PA calling their airport "International", because they have a flight a day across the lake to Toronto. Technically they may qualify, but it's not quite the same as the national broadcast companies, ESPN, or ESPN 2.
How are those not National Networks?

I get FS1, B10, SEC, and I can get P12 if I wanted it.

FargoBison
August 26th, 2014, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure that the BTN and Pac 12 Network won't be covering the remainder of NDSU's season. I also question labelling the BTN, Pac12 Network, and Fox Sports 1 as "national networks". That's kind of like Erie, PA calling their airport "International", because they have a flight a day across the lake to Toronto. Technically
they may qualify, but it's not quite the same as the national broadcast companies, ESPN, or ESPN 2.

Fox Sports 1 is in 90 million homes. It is very much a national network.

FargoBison
August 26th, 2014, 07:20 PM

This will change when the FBS games stop. The MVFC has one of the worst media deals in the FCS, just an absolute joke. The MAC absolutely blows the MVFC away when it comes to TV exposure. Heck the Big Sky and CAA blow the MVFC away when it comes to TV.

centennial
August 26th, 2014, 07:52 PM
This will change when the FBS games stop. The MVFC has one of the worst media deals in the FCS, just an absolute joke. The MAC absolutely blows the MVFC away when it comes to TV exposure. Heck the Big Sky and CAA blow the MVFC away when it comes to TV.
This is true. Outside of money games, the coverage is mostly ESPN 3 + local networks. We aren't even top of FCS. CAA is easily better. Big Sky is probably close to a push.

darell1976
August 26th, 2014, 07:57 PM
How are those not National Networks?

I get FS1, B10, SEC, and I can get P12 if I wanted it.

True, here in Fargo our cable company (Cable One) just got the SEC network. Vandy football and Ole Miss soccer. xlolx

FargoBison
August 26th, 2014, 08:04 PM
This is true. Outside of money games, the coverage is mostly ESPN 3 + local networks. We aren't even top of FCS. CAA is easily better. Big Sky is probably close to a push.

The Big Sky has a nice deal with Root Sports, I can watch all of their games on Direct TV and the production is also great. It is sad that I watch more CAA/Big Sky games then I do MVFC games.

Not sure what happened to the MVFC's deal with Fox Sports Midwest/North, amazing how the conference's TV deal has somehow gotten worse even though the league is as good as it ever has been.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 26th, 2014, 08:22 PM
This will change when the FBS games stop.

They won't stop.

centennial
August 26th, 2014, 08:25 PM
They won't stop.
I am not sure if you are trying to troll the MVFC fans or serious.

FargoBison
August 26th, 2014, 08:26 PM
They won't stop.

I mean as when they stop this year, MVFC schools only have one or two of these games in a season and most are in week 1. That is where all the exposure is coming from.

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I'm in the minority, but I really like ESPN3 since with a Chromecast and Watch ESPN app you can put it on your TV just like any other game....and they are saved for a good year.

clenz
August 26th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I'm in the minority, but I really like ESPN3 since with a Chromecast and Watch ESPN app you can put it on your TV just like any other game....and they are saved for a good year.

ESPN3 is great. I watch a ton of stuff on ESPN3.

However, the fact is the MVFC is garbage at TV coverage - so is the MVC, so it makes sense.

It's up the schools to get TV games. Every UNI game is broadcast statewide in HD this year but that is all UNI doing work on the backend.

There are many conference across the nation that offer free online streaming of all events online. The MVFC should have great access to Fox Sports North/Midwest and or Comcast Sports Chicago (do the Dakota schools get CSNChicago? I'm sure MSU doesn't)

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2014, 09:39 PM

However, the fact is the MVFC is garbage at TV coverage - so is the MVC, so it makes sense.

It's up the schools to get TV games. Every UNI game is broadcast statewide in HD this year but that is all UNI doing work on the backend.

There are many conference across the nation that offer free online streaming of all events online. The MVFC should have great access to Fox Sports North/Midwest and or Comcast Sports Chicago (do the Dakota schools get CSNChicago? I'm sure MSU doesn't)

No we don't get that. NDSU was taking a really long time to release the TV schedules this year and there were NDSU fans that heard rumors about Fox Sports North, since we've been on there a few times, but alas we're just stuck on ND NBC Statewide HD again this year. Maybe next year we can get there, I'd really like to see that since Minnesota has BTN. I don't know about CSN Chicago, I personally don't have cable but I use ESPN3 with my internet and watchESPN with a family member's login.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2014, 09:45 PM
True, here in Fargo our cable company (Cable One) just got the SEC network. Vandy football and Ole Miss soccer. xlolx

...against the mighty Temple Owls! That's must see TV!! xnodx

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2014, 01:12 PM

i like it when the pw works. Not carried by the local cable provider and cant get it on sprint iphone either $$$325 a month for this

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Twentysix
August 27th, 2014, 02:51 PM

We do not get CSN chicago. But I gurantee that cable one would pick it up if NDSU was covered on the channel every year for many football games.