PDA

View Full Version : Study: Div I Status Would Help South Dakota

TexasTerror
October 31st, 2006, 11:52 AM
Maybe I missed this, but here it is for those who have yet to see it. Decision TBA in December 2006...

Consultant: D-I status would help USD
Associated Press

VERMILLION, S.D. - A consulting firm hired by the University of South Dakota is recommending that the school reclassify its athletic programs to NCAA Division I.

Andrew Fellingham, of Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting of Garden City, N.Y., said the school is best suited to pursue Division I-AA football and Division I in other sports because it would increase the institution's name recognition in more populated areas and thus have the potential to attract new students.

"Going from Division II to Division I would not automatically increase enrollment," he said at an on-campus meeting Monday to discuss the recommendation. "But within an integrated plan, it has the potential to help the entire university."

USD is now an NCAA Division II school and member of the North Central Conference. South Dakota State and North Dakota State have left the conference and are making the transition from Division II to Division I. The University of North Dakota plans to follow suit.

Fellingham said if USD decides to reclassify, it should consider joining the Mid-Continent Conference in sports other than football. Both South Dakota State and North Dakota State will be members of that league in 2007.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/colleges/mercer/15893864.htm

dbackjon
October 31st, 2006, 12:00 PM
No suprise

BisonBacker
October 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM
Johnny come lately's. xcoffeex

MplsBison
October 31st, 2006, 12:05 PM
IMO, NDSU's success is the impetus for the UxDs moving up. They figured we'd fall flat on our faces, and when we didn't realized that they better get their a$$es in gear.

BisonBacker
October 31st, 2006, 12:12 PM
IMO, NDSU's success is the impetus for the UxDs moving up. They figured we'd fall flat on our faces, and when we didn't realized that they better get their a$$es in gear.

I'm marking this on my calendar MplsBison. You have posted something I agree with xsmileyclapx xlolx

henfan
October 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
This is a foregone conclusion, IMO. USD's move to I-AA is a welcome thing.

aceinthehole
October 31st, 2006, 12:37 PM
This may have been covered in another thread, I think when discussing UC-Davis, but does anyone have a listing of the top-10 D-II schools (with or without football) by enrollment? Thanks.

According to the NCAA, nine D-II schools are larger than 15,000 students.
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_II/fact_sheet_d2.html

RabidRabbit
October 31st, 2006, 02:13 PM
USD has virtually no option but to leap because of the imploding NCC. They have no D2 conference available relative to those that USD fans view as their equals. Their "Equals" are all D-I schools, most with IAA schollie football.

Shame they and UND didn't join UNC/SDSU/NDSU 3 years ago. Better late than never? They'll get all the fun that SDSU/NDSU for conference hunting until at least 2010 or 11.

dbackjon
October 31st, 2006, 02:15 PM
USD has virtually no option but to leap because of the imploding NCC. They have no D2 conference available relative to those that USD fans view as their equals. Their "Equals" are all D-I schools, most with IAA schollie football.

Shame they and UND didn't join UNC/SDSU/NDSU 3 years ago. Better late than never? They'll get all the fun that SDSU/NDSU for conference hunting until at least 2010 or 11.

The real shame is that the whole NCC didn't go D-I as a group back in the mid 90's.......:bang: :bang:

Hansel
October 31st, 2006, 02:56 PM
The real shame is that the whole NCC didn't go D-I as a group back in the mid 90's.......:bang: :bang:
NDSU, SDSU, UNC, and USD were strongly for it... UND lobbied against it

dbackjon
October 31st, 2006, 03:02 PM
NDSU, SDSU, UNC, and USD were strongly for it... UND lobbied against it

Then UND deserves an indy life for 40 years....dumb move by the Sioux. Had that happened, the NCC would have an I-AA autobid, and an autobid to the NCAA basketball tourneys by now.......

Go Bison
October 31st, 2006, 03:14 PM
Then UND deserves an indy life for 40 years....dumb move by the Sioux. Had that happened, the NCC would have an I-AA autobid, and an autobid to the NCAA basketball tourneys by now.......

UND will always do as much as they can to preserve their hockey program. Many thought if they spent more money on DI football and basketball scholarships then that would hurt their hockey.