PDA

View Full Version : Furman playoff watch...

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2006, 10:50 AM
FU currently has 3 losses with games yet to be played against Elon and Georgia Southern. If they win both, I think its a given that they make the playoffs. However, if they lose 1, are they still in, or is this do or die for the Furples?

Thoughts?

crunifan
October 31st, 2006, 10:53 AM
Furman fans, I just want to tell you that us UNI fans know EXACTLY how you feel right now.

Let's have a big purple group hug. :bang:

Coastal89
October 31st, 2006, 10:58 AM
FU currently has 3 losses with games yet to be played against Elon and Georgia Southern. If they win both, I think its a given that they make the playoffs. However, if they lose 1, are they still in, or is this do or die for the Furples?

Thoughts?
It's do or die, lose 1 and they only have 6 D-I wins.

The Dude
October 31st, 2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah, we definitely have to win out and that won't be easy. Elon and GSU will be more than happy to knock us out of the playoffs.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 31st, 2006, 11:07 AM
I promise you GSU will be ready to play that game. Our post season is completely out of the picture. So we would love nothing more than to take it away from y'all. :nod: :nod:

-ps we have to win out to have a winning season... a lot is at stake these next few weeks in the SoCon

The Dude
October 31st, 2006, 11:10 AM
I promise you GSU will be ready to play that game. Our post season is completely out of the picture. So we would love nothing more than to take it away from y'all. :nod: :nod:

The bright side for us is that we play you at home - I would hate to have to go into Paulson with our season on the line.

ASU Kep
October 31st, 2006, 11:38 AM
It's do or die, lose 1 and they only have 6 D-I wins.

Yup, and they really don't have any quality wins to speak of (maybe Jax)...if I was Furman fan, I'd be really rooting for the Beach Chickens to mess up. If it comes down to it, a 9-2 CCU team (without any real quality wins) would not be held out of the last spot for an 8-3 Furman who got beat in the h2h.

If Furman slips up against Elon or GSU they are dead. They just might wanna make those two games look pretty impressive while they're at it. History will only take you so far, I think everybody knows the SOCON is REALLY down this year (outside of the #1 that is :D ).

The Dude
October 31st, 2006, 11:51 AM
I agree, Kep, a 9-2 CCU gets in over 8-3 Furman (as much as I hate to say it). I'm just hoping there's enough room for both of us.

We really need to make a statement in these last two games.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 31st, 2006, 12:04 PM
The bright side for us is that we play you at home - I would hate to have to go into Paulson with our season on the line.

We normally bring enough people to make ourselves feel at home.

GSU Fans : Furman Players
:coach: :bawling:

xlolx xlolx

mcveyrl
October 31st, 2006, 12:13 PM
Furman HAS to win out to have a chance. Even though the rules only make 7 wins a preference (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong), they won't get in with only 6 D-I wins. As mentioned several times above, even if they win out, it's no guarantee. Lots of teams on the brink!

Death Dealer
October 31st, 2006, 12:15 PM
Yeah, we definitely have to win out to make the playoffs...even then I don't think it is a given. We should be able to pull it off, but I'm not counting any chickens (beach or any other variety), until it happens. If we don't get in? F@#$ it! We'll be back in the top three of the SOCON next year, and the next, and the next, and the next.....there are plenty of football seasons to come.:nod:

GGASU
October 31st, 2006, 12:15 PM

xlolx xlolx

True, but you normally do not have a losing record. Teams can have a losing record and still have good home field attendance, but the traveling numbers take a huge dive when a team isn't winning.

ASU Kep
October 31st, 2006, 12:18 PM

GSU Fans : Furman Players
:coach: :bawling:

xlolx xlolx

ASU's team: Furman's players

:anim_chai

Seven Would Be Nice
October 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
True, but you normally do not have a losing record. Teams can have a losing record and still have good home field attendance, but the traveling numbers take a huge dive when a team isn't winning.

True. I'll still be there!!

Can't pass up a trip to SC and the chance to beat Furman at home, It doesn't matter what kind of season we are having.

Death Dealer
October 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
ASU's team: Furman's players

:anim_chai

Ha, Ha, Ha! Very funny....take to the smack board you big Ape!xlolx :D ;)

OL FU
October 31st, 2006, 12:25 PM
I am not watching.
My eyes are closed for the next two weeks. ;)

LarryBoy
October 31st, 2006, 12:43 PM
Healthy Renaldo Gray + Healthy Jerome Felton + Relatively healthy O-Line= Furman in the playoffs

Anything less= Hold on to your butts

We don't traditionally play well at Elon (I don't think we've ever lost there, but we often win ugly), so that scares me. However, we haven't lost a regular season home game since back in the days when Pluto was a planet (2003, that is), so I'm feeling decent about the GSU game.

IF we win next week, the Furman/GSU showdown could be brutal/fun to watch. GSU will be trying to salvage their pride and season, while Furman will be fighting for their playoff lives. There will be a lot of desperation on that football field. Expect both coaches to pull everything out of their butts, er, playbook.

LarryBoy
October 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM
Oh, and another thing. Everyone keeps saying the the SoCon is down this year. I couldn't disagree more. Sure, GSU is reeling and Furman is too young for their own good, but I think the rest of the conference has improved significantly this year. Because of that, everyone keeps beating the crap out of each other, and that gives everyone some pretty mediocre records. Throw out Western Carolina (sorry guys), and the first part of Citadel's season, and you've got a really competitive conference. Wofford, Chattanooga, Elon, and El Cid have all put up better fights than I anticipated.

mcveyrl
October 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
Oh, and another thing. Everyone keeps saying the the SoCon is down this year. I couldn't disagree more. Sure, GSU is reeling and Furman is too young for their own good, but I think the rest of the conference has improved significantly this year. Because of that, everyone keeps beating the crap out of each other, and that gives everyone some pretty mediocre records. Throw out Western Carolina (sorry guys), and the first part of Citadel's season, and you've got a really competitive conference. Wofford, Chattanooga, Elon, and El Cid have all put up better fights than I anticipated.

Even though I'm a CAA homer, I agree. The traditional powerhouses are "down" (although Furman's only "down" by Furman standards!), but the rest of the league seems to have stepped it up. Unfortunately, it's not something that shows up in the GPI, but I think it's true.

gsugt1
October 31st, 2006, 02:57 PM

True. I have heard quite a few normal folks who travel to the games have backed out going to Furman.

thirdgendin
October 31st, 2006, 08:53 PM
If Furman finishes 8-3 and 6-1 in the SoCon, I'm almost sure we'd be in the playoffs. Right now, Furman is ranked 11th (10th out of playoff eligible teams) and would be in the top 10 with a pair of wins.

Also, I don't believe any SoCon team has ever had 8 wins AND ONLY 1 loss in conference and not made the playoffs.

BeauFoster
November 1st, 2006, 07:12 AM
Furman is currently 23 in the GPI, which as we have all read 14,000 times, is a top indicator of the playoff field. It would be an absolute shame for Furman to get "woofed" and USD get into the field. FU controls their own destiny at Eloan and GSU.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2006, 07:54 AM
I'll definitely pulling for the Furples the next 2 weeks

HiHiYikas
November 1st, 2006, 07:55 AM
If Furman finishes 8-3 and 6-1 in the SoCon, I'm almost sure we'd be in the playoffs. Right now, Furman is ranked 11th (10th out of playoff eligible teams) and would be in the top 10 with a pair of wins.

Also, I don't believe any SoCon team has ever had 8 wins AND ONLY 1 loss in conference and not made the playoffs.
The team that came to Boone last weekend would be a wasted bid, along the lines of 2005 Hampton. I don't believe that was the real Furman, though (I don't think anybody does). If the Paladins can convincingly demonstrate over these next two games they're much better than the ASU score indicates, I'd be happy to see them in the playoffs.

That's what I'm thinking will happen, that they'll turn it around and get some steam for the postseason.

MarkCCU
November 1st, 2006, 11:30 AM
fURMAN has to win all out the rest of the season to get in. If not, a 9-2 Coastal should take thier spot and hopefully Coastal can go the rest of the season and not lose

SirApp
November 1st, 2006, 11:46 AM
Furman going to have Jerome back for Elon?

BestOfBreed
November 1st, 2006, 11:54 AM
fURMAN has to win all out the rest of the season to get in. If not, a 9-2 Coastal should take thier spot and hopefully Coastal can go the rest of the season and not lose

I think a 9-2 Coastal team will get in ahead of an 8-3 Furman team but most likely both will get in. Has a bubble team with a member on the selection committee ever not gotten in? Before any says it... Yes, I know they have to leave the room when their team is discussed. I remember 2002 Northwestern State and App State were both bubble teams with members on the committee and both got in. 2003, Bethune-Cookman was a bubble team with a member on the committee and they got in. Heck, I think App State and Bethune-Cookman even got home games.

Appstate29
November 1st, 2006, 12:07 PM
If Furman can get themselves in the playoffs, and then get healthy, I would not want to see them in Boone. I can't Imagine a pissed off (and fully healthy) Jerome Felton looking for revenge. If they are in, I see them making some noise.

Death Dealer
November 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
The team that came to Boone last weekend would be a wasted bid, along the lines of 2005 Hampton. I don't believe that was the real Furman, though (I don't think anybody does).

I think you are right HiHi....but I just don't know if we are going to be able to get healthy in time......Gray has not been solid all season. I hope we can do it.

matfu
November 1st, 2006, 06:01 PM
The team that came to Boone last weekend would be a wasted bid, along the lines of 2005 Hampton. I don't believe that was the real Furman, though (I don't think anybody does). If the Paladins can convincingly demonstrate over these next two games they're much better than the ASU score indicates, I'd be happy to see them in the playoffs.

That's what I'm thinking will happen, that they'll turn it around and get some steam for the postseason.

--with 1:15 seconds in the first half we had outgained you guys by about 80 yards. we lost the game on one play: the blocked field goal. IF we get in the playoffs and get everybody healthy, especialy felton and gray, i hope we see you all the second round in boone. i don't think you can beat us twice in the same season!

Death Dealer
November 1st, 2006, 06:10 PM
--with 1:15 seconds in the first half we had outgained you guys by about 80 yards. we lost the game on one play: the blocked field goal. IF we get in the playoffs and get everybody healthy, especialy felton and gray, i hope we see you all the second round in boone. i don't think you can beat us twice in the same season!

I would love another shot in Boone....I don't know if we could pull it off....but I would like to be able to say that they gave their best. But they can't let one play knock the wind out of them like that FG did. That's a matter of leadership....the team leaders and coaches need to be able to shake a bad break like that off and get back to work.:twocents:

HiHiYikas
November 1st, 2006, 07:44 PM
we lost the game
Everything you said before and after that is utterly and irrefutably meaningless.

But if you're right, I can't wait for the Paladins to roll back into Boone, knowing that all it takes to put them away once and for all is one play. If your assessment is correct, and Furman is the kind of team that can be beaten on one play in the first half, they don't belong in the playoffs, where the games always last two halfs (I've already said I don't think that's the real Furman, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you're right).

A single snap that ends up putting the Paladins down by the wholly insurmountable sum of 7 points, and they don't have what it takes to climb back into it? If a team can't recover from giving up a single big play, they can't handle the playoffs. Period.

Sometimes you turn the ball over, and sometimes those turnovers wind up putting you down by 7 points. If you're a decent squad, you get over it and score a handful of unanswered points. If you're too impotent to overcome a single mistake, you wind up playing 32 more minutes of scoreless football and lose big.

Death Dealer
November 1st, 2006, 11:23 PM
Sometimes you turn the ball over, and sometimes those turnovers wind up putting you down by 7 points. If you're a decent squad, you get over it and score a handful of unanswered points. If you're too impotent to overcome a single mistake, you wind up playing 32 more minutes of scoreless football and lose big.

Ouch HiHi, a little harsh there man! You're right, but ouch! That is part of what happened to us Saturday...but not all of it. To say that all it was takes away from the fact that you guys played one helluva game. It was a combination of those two things....one is just a good team playing a near perfect game. The other is a symptom of a lack of leadership and a young squad with some key players injured, that may be a little over-rated this year and needs another year to really gel and get it together. Hell, I'm just a dentist...you want an extreme makeover or a root canal, I'm your man. You want football analysis, them I'm just winging it!xlolx

HiHiYikas
November 2nd, 2006, 06:29 AM
Ouch HiHi, a little harsh there man! You're right, but ouch! That is part of what happened to us Saturday...but not all of it. To say that all it was takes away from the fact that you guys played one helluva game. It was a combination of those two things....one is just a good team playing a near perfect game. The other is a symptom of a lack of leadership and a young squad with some key players injured, that may be a little over-rated this year and needs another year to really gel and get it together. Hell, I'm just a dentist...you want an extreme makeover or a root canal, I'm your man. You want football analysis, them I'm just winging it!xlolx
I'm just winging it, too, and I'm not meaning to be harsh, but "we should go to the playoffs," and "we only lost [40-7] because of one play [that put us down 14-7 in the first half]" are completely inconsistent messages. If I'm being harsh, it's because I'm just trying to lay the "we lost on one play" argument to rest. Teams that lose on one play (especially when that one play makes it a 14-7 game with 30 minutes left to play) simply do not belong in the playoffs. Again, hear me say that, although plenty of Paladin fans share this low opinion of their own team, I don't think Furman is that kind of team.

"Furman should go to the playoffs" I agree with; "Furman lost to ASU on one play" can't be said about a playoff-worthy team, and I have to call it for the BS it is.

So go beat Elon and GaSo, and maybe we'll see you around Thanksgiving.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Regarding some of the early posts that a 8-3 Furman team would not be a given as far as getting in the playoffs. I agree that nothing is certain, but we are ranked 11 (which I think is way too high). If we win the next two, we will be in the top ten by season end and I think that locks it.

The GPI might disagree but a top ten ranked team from a power conference isn't getting left out

Whoops I just realized I was repeating thirdgendin's comments

OL FU
November 2nd, 2006, 07:15 AM
I'm just winging it, too, and I'm not meaning to be harsh, but "we should go to the playoffs," and "we only lost [40-7] because of one play [that put us down 14-7 in the first half]" are completely inconsistent messages. If I'm being harsh, it's because I'm just trying to lay the "we lost on one play" argument to rest. Teams that lose on one play (especially when that one play makes it a 14-7 game with 30 minutes left to play) simply do not belong in the playoffs. Again, hear me say that, although plenty of Paladin fans share this low opinion of their own team, I don't think Furman is that kind of team.

"Furman should go to the playoffs" I agree with; "Furman lost to ASU on one play" can't be said about a playoff-worthy team, and I have to call it for the BS it is.

It might be a historical moment in college football.
ASU must have scored 33 points on a single play:o :D

Mr. C
November 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
I knew Corey Lynch was amazing, but I didn't know he was that amazing.
:D xlolx :nod: :rotateh: :cool: :smiley_wi :D

asu7
November 2nd, 2006, 10:10 AM

I was at the game and I cannot remember the blocked fg scoring 40 points all at once ... you got beat by a better team ... now the blocked fg was a 10 point turn but not 40 ... you had only 30 something yards in the second half ... our D and O Line and Special Teams and O and everyone else on the team won the game ... you simply were beat ... stop blaming the one play for the loss ... the one play only added salt to the wound ... that is just like UNI sayin the fumble won it for us ... no our D caused their O to go scoreless in the second half and that won us the game ...

Good luck the rest of the way ... I do not see you all comin back to Boone but if you do ... I dont think you win ... personally I think you had better be worrying about eloan and GSU ... GSU is playing better than their record is too ... GSU would love to beat you guys two years in a row ...

JDC325
November 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
True. I have heard quite a few normal folks who travel to the games have backed out going to Furman.

Shining example of DEDICATION and LOYALTY. xsmileyclapx

Death Dealer
November 2nd, 2006, 11:36 AM
I'm not meaning to be harsh

I was just ribbing you big guy.:D You're dead on with everything you said. I still think you guys are due to repeat, but I'd like another shot (with a completely healthy team) at knocking you guys off....it's up to us to get that chance. Good luck with the Bellhops Saturday!

Death Dealer
November 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
I was at the game and I cannot remember the blocked fg scoring 40 points all at once... you simply were beat ... stop blaming the one play for the loss .

Good luck the rest of the way ... I do not see you all comin back to Boone but if you do ... I dont think you win ... personally I think you had better be worrying about eloan and GSU ... GSU is playing better than their record is too ... GSU would love to beat you guys two years in a row ...

I think that is the general consensus, as you can see you're not the only poster (including the rest of us FU'ers) that agee with you.....cut Mat some slack though, I think he's just voicing what the rest of us wish was true....I do believe we are a better team talent-wise than we showed ourselves to be in that game, but talent is all it takes to win games. Don't get me wrong, overall I think at this point and time ASU has a slight edge on us in the talent department...but where they really beat us Saturday was in the HEART/KILLER INSTINCT department. For an underdog to win they have to want it more than the other team, and I didn't see a FU team on that field after that bad break with the FG that wanted to win more than Appy. Sorry gang, I know I'm just re-hashing the same argument over again. My employess say I do the same thing. I just like to talk (or type in this case).xlolx