PDA

View Full Version : Best Active Coaches in FCS?

Reign of Terrier
August 24th, 2014, 10:13 PM
I was trying to find some stats on this, because I think it's important to understand how the landscape has significantly changed in the last 2 years.

With Craig Bohl moving up, as well as Jerry Moore retiring, and Sam Houston's coach taking the job at Georgia Southern, some of the hottest commodities in the FCS coaching ranks are absent.

So, what's the upper echilon of FCS coaching consist of?

Obviously you have to include Andy Talley, KC Keeler, and Beau Baldwin who are the only three current head coaches with a national championship under their belt, as well as with the most playoff victories at the FCS level (10, 11, and 8 respectively).

On top of that, you also have coaches with the most wins at this level, namely Mike Ayers, Rob Ash, Al Bagnoli, Jimmye Laycock, Walt Hameline, and Joe Glenn.

So, who would we say is the top 5? I'm trying to find playoff numbers but collegefootballwarehouse is acting up, I think Jimmye Laycock and Mike Ayers, Joe Glenn, and Rob Ash are the only ones with more than one playoff trip, but I could be wrong.

I'm interested in the consensus because the FCS coaching ranks have gotten a lot less top-heavy in the last few years.

centennial
August 24th, 2014, 10:36 PM
1)EWU- Beau Baldwin
I don't expect Beau to stick around much longer.
Push after that-
Sean McDonnell UNH, SELA Ron Roberts, Joe Moorhead Fordham, UNI Mark Farley, Joe Moglia CCU, John Steigelmeier South Dakota St, John Grass Jacksonville State

citdog
August 24th, 2014, 10:37 PM
I'm interested in the consensus because the FCS coaching ranks have gotten a lot less top-heavy in the last few years.

LESS top heavy you say?????????

http://gamedayr.com/wp-content/slideshow/2012/07/2012-south-carolina-gamecocks-football-preview-breaking-down-the-schedule/full/Wofford-Coach-Mike-Ayers-570x763.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2014, 10:42 PM
1. Andy Talley - Villanova
2. Beau Baldwin - EWU
3. Sean McDonnell- UNH
4. Mike Ayers - Wofford
5. Tim Murphy - Harvard

Colgate's Dick Biddle retired after last year. He's easily the most accomplished coach in PL history.

dewey
August 24th, 2014, 10:49 PM
2. Beau Baldwin - EWU
3. Sean McDonnell- UNH
4. Mike Ayers - Wofford
5. Tim Murphy - Harvard

Colgate's Dick Biddle retired after last year. He's easily the most accomplished coach in PL history.

Good list. I would add Farley from Northern Iowa and KC Keeler from SHSU.

Dewey

McNeese75
August 24th, 2014, 10:52 PM
1)EWU- Beau Baldwin
Push after that-
Sean McDonnell UNH, SELA Ron Roberts, Joe Moorhead Fordham, UNI Mark Farley, Joe Moglia CCU, John Steigelmeier South Dakota St, John Grass Jacksonville State
It is a little early to be putting roberts in that list

Sader87
August 24th, 2014, 10:53 PM
2. Beau Baldwin - EWU
3. Sean McDonnell- UNH
4. Mike Ayers - Wofford
5. Tim Murphy - Harvard

Colgate's Dick Biddle retired after last year. He's easily the most accomplished coach in PL history.C

Mark Duffner farts in Dick Biddle's general direction......

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Good list. I would add Farley from Northern Iowa and KC Keeler from SHSU.

Dewey

K.C. Keeler is an interesting candidate. He was basically run out of Delaware despite winning a national title and nearly winning another one. I think he needs to have two or three consistent years at SHSU before I'd put him in the Top 5. Perhaps his success at D3 Rowan counts for something too...

centennial
August 24th, 2014, 10:57 PM
It is a little early to be putting roberts in that list
Yes, he uses a lot of transfers but he is winning. If he keeps it up wouldn't surprise me if he goes to Sun Belt/ MAC.

wmmii
August 24th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Jimmy Laycock has 9 different teams in the NCAA playoffs and W&M made the semifinals both in 2004 and 2009. With 33 years under his belt and his record think you got to have him in your top 5!

Learn more here:

http://www.tribeathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25100&ATCLID=205071748

citdog
August 24th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Jimmy Laycock has 9 different teams in the NCAA playoffs and W&M made the semifinals both in 2004 and 2009. With 30 years under his belt and his record think you got to have him in your top 5!

Top 5 best names too......

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Mark Duffner farts in Dick Biddle's general direction......

Apples and Oranges. Duffner was coaching with a stacked deck given the scholarships at HC. He also stepped into a great position since HC had recently turned its program around under Carter once they reclassified to 1AA. Biddle took over a program that was in the complete dumps and went on post the most wins in league history.

Duffner ran for the hills after the last scholarship class graduated and never did much at Maryland....

Reign of Terrier
August 24th, 2014, 11:05 PM
As soon as I posted this I forgot to include UNI's coach and UNH coach. They're certainly at the top.

The thing with FCS coaches is that it would seem that there's always 2-3 that win a bunch of national titles and leave, and there's like a second echilon of coaches with a moderate amount of success over the course of a long tenure (UNH, UNI, Wofford, Villanova, W&M, etc)

centennial
August 24th, 2014, 11:10 PM
As soon as I posted this I forgot to include UNI's coach and UNH coach. They're certainly at the top.

The thing with FCS coaches is that it would seem that there's always 2-3 that win a bunch of national titles and leave, and there's like a second echilon of coaches with a moderate amount of success over the course of a long tenure (UNH, UNI, Wofford, Villanova, W&M, etc)
Agreed. Beau is the only one ripe to get a FBS program. There are a few others that might get a look BUT I feel that depends on who needs a coach and who is available in the market at the time. Recent success also counts for a lot.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Talley has a ridiculous track record. He was there when Villanova restarted the program in the mid 1980's and had them ranked #1 by 1991. His two Payton winners, Brian Finneran and Brian Westbrook, were ridiculously talented. Westbrook is the closest thing I've seen to Rocket Ismail at this level. The national title he won in 2009 is the capper. He has quite a few FBS scalps too.....

As a Temple guy it pained me to type that...

clenz
August 24th, 2014, 11:13 PM
I guess you could call Farley "moderately successful".

Sure, no national title but

13 seasons
111-51 (69%)
Most wins in conference history
Most conference wins in history
11 seasons of at least 7 wins
6 10+ win seasons
7 conference titles (I think that might be the most conference titles of any coach in conference history)

youwouldno
August 24th, 2014, 11:18 PM
There's a big difference between "best active coach" and a lifetime achievement award list. I wouldn't put Keeler on either list - he won the title with Tubby's players and had too many rough years for a top FCS program.

I'm not sure Laycock is a top 5 coach in his own conference...

Ayers is an interesting case. He has consistently done more with less. But he's lost some key assistants recently and isn't getting any younger. The SoCon has some head coaches on the upswing and it remains to be seen what Ayers can do over the next few years.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 24th, 2014, 11:39 PM
K.C. Keeler is an interesting candidate. He was basically run out of Delaware despite winning a national title and nearly winning another one. I think he needs to have two or three consistent years at SHSU before I'd put him in the Top 5. Perhaps his success at D3 Rowan counts for something too...

Not run out by the fans. There were (are?) some Keeler haters in the fanbase, but most liked him. His dismissal was mainly an administrative move, the motivation of which is still shrouded in a bit of mystery.

The firing is still a bit of a contentious topic on the Hens board, but it seems most fans have taken the tack of 'He did some great things for us, no hard feelings towards the man, but we have a new sheriff in town with plans to bring back the dominance, so we'll get on board there'.

I'd rank Keeler in the top 10 of current FCS coaches.

JayJ79
August 25th, 2014, 01:32 AM
7 conference titles (I think that might be the most conference titles of any coach in conference history)

both Farley and Terry Allen have won 7 Gateway/MVFC titles, fwiw.

Tribe4SF
August 25th, 2014, 05:48 AM
Laycock is an obvious homer choice for me, but Sean McDonnell has been amazing at UNH (other than against Laycock), producing ten consecutive playoff teams with recruiting disadvantages, and playing in a top league.

chattownmocs
August 25th, 2014, 06:40 AM
1)EWU- Beau Baldwin
Push after that-

John Grass....wtf...hahahaha

Mattymc727
August 25th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Its hard to argue against McDonnell, the man has brought UNH to the playoffs each year over the last 10 years despite having no facilities, no university support, and no state support. Hes always had to do more will a hell of a lot less. Plus the guy is as humble as can be and wont take an ounce of credit. He also created Chip Kelly.

UNH is finally putting resources into the program, finally....

chattownmocs
August 25th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Its hard to argue against McDonnell, the man has brought UNH to the playoffs each year over the last 10 years despite having no facilities, no university support, and no state support. Hes always had to do more will a hell of a lot less. Plus the guy is as humble as can be and wont take an ounce of credit. He also created Chip Kelly.

UNH is finally putting resources into the program, finally....

Really? created Chip Kelly?

MR. CHICKEN
August 25th, 2014, 07:08 AM
There's a big difference between "best active coach" and a lifetime achievement award list. I wouldn't put Keeler on either list - he won the title with Tubby's players and had too many rough years for a top FCS program.

I'm not sure Laycock is a top 5 coach in his own conference...

Ayers is an interesting case. He has consistently done more with less. But he's lost some key assistants recently and isn't getting any younger. The SoCon has some head coaches on the upswing and it remains to be seen what Ayers can do over the next few years.

19550.......TUBBY'S SQWAD....OWN-LAH HAD 4 WINS.....WHEN HE RETIRED IN 2001....KEELER INHERITED PLAYERS WHO...RAN DUH WING-T.....CONVERTED 'EM TA NO HUDDLE SPREAD....HAD THREE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCES....ONE TITLE...7 WINNIN' SEASONS....IN 11 YEARS...AN' UH TON O' PLAY-OFF W'S....HE BELONGS......xnodx......BRAWK!

Cocky
August 25th, 2014, 07:14 AM
This one is a stretch but Jason Simpson does a great job at UTM considering the difficulties.

Mattymc727
August 25th, 2014, 07:42 AM

Probably an overstatement, but it was McDonnell who let Chip change the offense in 2003. Who knows what would have happened if he stuck to his guns.

Go Green
August 25th, 2014, 09:20 AM
5. Tim Murphy - Harvard

It is very difficult to mention Murphy as a top coach, but not Penn's Bagnoli.

And please don't use their OOC record as a tie-breaker. Penn played a much, much tougher OOC slate under Bagnoli than Harvard did with Murphy.

Bill
August 25th, 2014, 10:59 AM

Hmm...I always credited Jim Margraff with that one....

http://www.hopkinssports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jim_margraff_95175.html

caribbeanhen
August 25th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Keeler was Smart enough to know that he wasn't going to out coach you and went out and got talent to compensate .... His teams did well in the playoffs for sure

YoUDeeMan
August 25th, 2014, 12:47 PM
KC will do well in SHSU...well enough to get to the playoffs and make some runs at the title again. So, he'll have done that at three different colleges (already done it at two). Outstanding playoff success rate. If he continues that run at SHSU, as I believe he will, that will put him up there with anyone.

Laycock...meh...maybe a longevity award.

Talley? The disadvantage of dropping/restarting football was balanced by the Big name draw of nova's B-ball team...and the recent recruiting with the hype of potential FBS football gave him an advantage. It will be interesting to see how his recruiting goes with that FBS rumor gone.

Anyone want to add Mickey Mathews to the list? He's the best hat/visor thrower out there.;)

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 25th, 2014, 01:11 PM
1. Sean McDonell (don't know how the heck he is still at UNH)
2. Rob Ambrose (can't believe no one has mentioned him yet...remember when Towson was the CAA doormat?)
3. Beau Baldwin
4. Henry Frazier III (is he still coaching somewhere?)
5. Mike Ayers

Reign of Terrier
August 25th, 2014, 01:58 PM
2. Rob Ambrose (can't believe no one has mentioned him yet...remember when Towson was the CAA doormat?)
3. Beau Baldwin
5. Mike Ayers

Why mention him? I had to google him and he's not coaching anywhere, but his record isn't outstanding either

2ram
August 25th, 2014, 02:09 PM
maybe it's a bit early in his coaching career, but imo joe moorehead has to be mentioned. took a 1-10 team in 2011, and produced a 2nd round FCS playoff team in 2013. great turnaround.

2013 PL coach of the year
2013 AFCA Regional Co-Coach of the Year
finalist for both Eddie Robinson NCAA FCS national Coach of the Year & Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year

not bad for an active coach.

CHIP72
August 25th, 2014, 02:26 PM
KC will do well in SHSU...well enough to get to the playoffs and make some runs at the title again. So, he'll have done that at three different colleges (already done it at two). Outstanding playoff success rate. If he continues that run at SHSU, as I believe he will, that will put him up there with anyone.

Laycock...meh...maybe a longevity award.

Talley? The disadvantage of dropping/restarting football was balanced by the Big name draw of nova's B-ball team...and the recent recruiting with the hype of potential FBS football gave him an advantage. It will be interesting to see how his recruiting goes with that FBS rumor gone.

Anyone want to add Mickey Mathews to the list? He's the best hat/visor thrower out there.;)

I think Andy Talley did pretty well at Villanova long before there was any talk of the Wildcats moving to FBS/Division I-A.

As for the Villanova basketball program impacting the football program...I think that could cut both ways where the football players knew they were definitely NOT going to be viewed as the big men on campus. Also, many top Division I basketball programs don't have top Division I-A football programs despite the high profile of their basketball programs. I would think Division I-A football programs would benefit more than Division I-AA football programs from a prominent Division I basketball program.

saxbison
August 25th, 2014, 02:42 PM
3. Beau Baldwin
5. Mike Ayers

Totally Agree. He is 1b to Baldwin's 1a on my list. The man is a damn miracle worker.

citdog
August 25th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Jack Cosgrove from Maine is a pretty good one as well.

Mattymc727
August 25th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Also with Ambrose, he did the turnaround in 1 YEAR. Towson had 1 win and was a CAA doormat in 2010, next year they won 9 games and won the CAA outright. Pretty amazing considering the CAA is one of the best FCS conferences.

Mattymc727
August 25th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Jack Cosgrove from Maine is a pretty good one as well.

Agreed, another guy that has to build with almost nothing.

Skyhawk71
August 25th, 2014, 07:27 PM
This one is a stretch but Jason Simpson does a great job at UTM considering the difficulties.

52-39; 40-23 OVC: prior to that we won 20 FCS games in 14 years; only losing record to two OVC opponents EKU 2-5; JSU 3-5; 5-2 vs. EIU; also 2nd worst budget in the OVC for football, leading to coaching coaches, they are all young other than the coordinators, and only the coordinators and a couple of other guys even come close to making anything- btw- unless something has changed he was recently the lowest paid coach in the OVC- I've heard it said by more than one assistant- if we had XYZ's facilities and money how awesome could we be- cough, cough- UTC- yep, he beat them too............still shocked he is in Martin, but we would like to keep him
* Most importantly have you ever been to Martin, TN?

superman7515
August 25th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Top 5 best names too......

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqlMZ2oCMAAUqC5.jpg:large

chattownmocs
August 26th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Hmm...I always credited Jim Margraff with that one....

http://www.hopkinssports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jim_margraff_95175.html

I probably credit Chip Kelly, but after that it would be Mike Bellotti, who handpicked the OC from New Hampshire to take over his PAC12 program.

Milktruck74
August 26th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Maybe a bit early to put him in the top 5. He still needs to pad some numbers to his resume, but NO DOUBT the guy is a COACH!!!! HE will be picked up at a Directional State BCS School soon and when he wins there we will see him as a coordinator at a P5.... UTM will enjoy him for another 3 years.

citdog
August 26th, 2014, 12:58 PM

Pretty DAMN GOOD Coaching Tree for Bobby Ross.

Jimmye Laycock in Charleston.

It only SOUNDS dirty.......

GOB1SON
August 26th, 2014, 02:04 PM
I was trying to find some stats on this, because I think it's important to understand how the landscape has significantly changed in the last 2 years.

With Craig Bohl moving up, as well as Jerry Moore retiring, and Sam Houston's coach taking the job at Georgia Southern, some of the hottest commodities in the FCS coaching ranks are absent.

So, what's the upper echilon of FCS coaching consist of?

Obviously you have to include Andy Talley, KC Keeler, and Beau Baldwin who are the only three current head coaches with a national championship under their belt, as well as with the most playoff victories at the FCS level (10, 11, and 8 respectively).

On top of that, you also have coaches with the most wins at this level, namely Mike Ayers, Rob Ash, Al Bagnoli, Jimmye Laycock, Walt Hameline, and Joe Glenn.

So, who would we say is the top 5? I'm trying to find playoff numbers but collegefootballwarehouse is acting up, I think Jimmye Laycock and Mike Ayers, Joe Glenn, and Rob Ash are the only ones with more than one playoff trip, but I could be wrong.

Joe Glenn has a natty.

LeadBolt
August 26th, 2014, 02:55 PM

That's a pretty strong staff right there!

BEAR
August 26th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Alright... Steve Campbell is up for consideration... well, when he coaches in the FCS.... xlolx

http://www.ucasports.com/custompages/campbell%20graphic%20II.jpg

Ivytalk
August 26th, 2014, 04:28 PM

And Ralph Friedgen was actually quite svelte then! Whoa!

Ivytalk
August 26th, 2014, 05:02 PM
It is very difficult to mention Murphy as a top coach, but not Penn's Bagnoli.

And please don't use their OOC record as a tie-breaker. Penn played a much, much tougher OOC slate under Bagnoli than Harvard did with Murphy.

I know you Dartmouth types hate to give Harvard credit for anything, but my take on the Murphy-Bagnoli rivalry is as follows. For the 14 seasons from 2000 through 2013, in Ivy League play (disregarding OOC opponents), Harvard's record is 79-19, Penn's is 73-25. Harvard and Penn have each won or shared six Ivy FB titles over that time frame. Harvard and Penn have each had four unbeaten seasons in Ivy play. Harvard has never had a losing season in Ivy play in that stretch, finishing 4-3 in League play three times -- the last one coming in 2006. Penn, on the other hand, has had four losing League seasons, finishing 3-4 each time -- the last one coming last year. Overall, Harvard has won at least 7 games every year since 2001. No other FCS school has done that. Both coaches deserve to be ranked among the top FCS coaches, but I give Murph a slight edge.

MR. CHICKEN
August 26th, 2014, 06:15 PM
19563........YEAH......AN' MURPH.....CUDDAH BEEN OURAHS.......:(.....AWK!

Grizo406
August 26th, 2014, 08:15 PM
One of my favorite coaches has always been Mike Ayers.

I blame Ursus for me not getting a chance to meet him in 2012!xcoffeex

BisonFan02
August 26th, 2014, 08:45 PM
One of my favorite coaches has always been Mike Ayers.

I blame Ursus for me not getting a chance to meet him in 2012!xcoffeex

Child safety doors/locks? xlolx

chattownmocs
August 27th, 2014, 06:07 AM

You mean, Friedgen wasnt always 500 lbs? Wow

Mr. C
August 28th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Why mention him? I had to google him and he's not coaching anywhere, but his record isn't outstanding either
Frazier won places and built programs where it had been nearly impossible to win. I consider him a great coach. He is also one of my favorites on a personal level.

Among peers, McDonnell and Ayers are really respected, as is Bagnoli.

heath
August 28th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I was thinking Mickey Matthews( that's right, he finally got fired) and Frank Tavani. They took their schools to the top, both talk out of the sides of their mouth,and each fan base loves them. Well, maybe 8 years ago they'd be on that list.xrolleyesx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I haven't read thru this thread but Farley at UNI is a pretty good coach. Although, I'm not a huge fan of his, you cannot deny that he can coach football. UNI has consistently had good teams through his tenure. They haven't won a NC but he puts a good product on the field.

He is the best coach in the Valley right now. Klieman at NDSU has the potential to be very good.

clenz
August 28th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I haven't read thru this thread but Farley at UNI is a pretty good coach. Although, I'm not a huge fan of his, you cannot deny that he can coach football. UNI has consistently had good teams through his tenure. They haven't won a NC but he puts a good product on the field.

He is the best coach in the Valley right now. Klieman at NDSU has the potential to be very good.

Klieman would likely have been HC at UNI if he was willing to wait, but he didn't want to and is worked great for him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yotes
August 28th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Joe Glenn has to be top five after his run at Montana. His record at USD is terrible, but he started with an absolutely barren cupboard. I don't know if he'll get much recognition for the great program he is building either, as it sounds as though he will be retired by the time it blossoms.

I think Farley is an interesting case. His record is impeccable, but has the chip of never getting over that final hurdle (yet). If UNI wins the national title this year he would probably get my vote.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Joe Glenn has to be top five after his run at Montana. His record at USD is terrible, but he started with an absolutely barren cupboard. I don't know if he'll get much recognition for the great program he is building either, as it sounds as though he will be retired by the time it blossoms.

I think Farley is an interesting case. His record is impeccable, but has the chip of never getting over that final hurdle (yet). If UNI wins the national title this year he would probably get my vote.

Which one?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Klieman would likely have been HC at UNI if he was willing to wait, but he didn't want to and is worked great for him.

How long would he would he have had to wait? Farley must have quite a few more years of coaching at UNI in him.

Sly Fox
August 28th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I expected some Griz fans to pipe in with appreciation for Joe Moglia. As a Liberty fan, it pains me to say that he certainly has earned our respect in a short period of time. Make all the cracks you want about his bank account, but the dude can flat out coach.

And count me among those who have a ton of respect for what Henry Frazier can manage with practically no resources. Sadly his departure last year from NC Central wasn't pretty.

clenz
August 28th, 2014, 06:39 PM
How long would he would he have had to wait? Farley must have quite a few more years of coaching at UNI in him.
That's reason he didn't wait.

Farley is still pretty young, more or less a life time contact and no interest going anywhere else.

Yotes
August 28th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Which one?
The one that will be in the playoffs by next year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2014, 06:54 PM
The one that will be in the playoffs by next year.

USD??

Playoffs next year??

Coyotes have a ways to go IMO. We'll see. Prove it on the field.

centennial
August 28th, 2014, 06:55 PM

I have no idea what to expect from South Dakota this season.

Yotes
August 28th, 2014, 07:51 PM
We'll improve by three more wins this year to 7-5, and might have had a slim chance of getting some playoff consideration had we found a 12th D1 opponent instead of the NAIA team that's coming to play us. Glenn only has two full recruiting classes under his belt, and I am loving what I see from them. I can't wait to see how good this team will be once they are upperclassmen. You just can't expect a program led by a three-time national champion head coach to remain where we have been, Joe Glenn knows exactly how to build a program and is incredibly determined to make his alma mater into a force at the Division 1 level. I just wish I knew we could have him longer, he'll probably only do two or three more years at the most before retiring.

Vitojr130
August 28th, 2014, 10:09 PM
He may not have made much noise in recent years, but I'd say Joe Glenn at USD probably deserves a mention.

Edit: After reading the thread farther, Joe has received the afformentioned mention.