PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Blue Hens at #4 James Madison Dukes

JMU Duke Dog
October 30th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Post your thoughts on this upcoming game! The kickoff will be at 6:00 PM in Harrisonburg, and the game will be televised by CN8. The Dukes need to focus on stopping Delaware's offense, which has given JMU problems the past few seasons. What is the status of Omar Cuff for this game? :o

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 31st, 2006, 12:43 AM
I'm excited to see the last regular season home game as a student, and I'm glad that Delaware is coming in, they're always a great team to watch.

Sam Adams
October 31st, 2006, 06:07 AM
UD will likely lose this game.

MR. CHICKEN
October 31st, 2006, 06:08 AM
WHIFF KEELER UNLEASHIN' FLACCO''S TALENT TA CHUCK DUH "BLADDER".....MOSTLY OUTTA NECCESSITY......(OMAR INJURED...TRUE FRESHMAN...&...UH SOMETIMES WR...LEADIN' DUH GROUND GAME).....OURAH OFFENSE CAN LIGHT UP DUH SCO' BO'....AN' WE ONLY LOOSE PATRICK NEXT YEAR..........BUT DEFENSE IS OURAH.."BOOGIE MAN"...........WEAKEST D-LINE IN AGES.....WEAKEST LB CORP IN AGES.....AN' DON'T START ME TA TALKIN'....DB'S...........KICKIN' GAME IS UH PLUS..........SPECIAL TEAMS....ARE IN NEED O' SPECIAL ED..........OTHERAH DAN DAT...........6-5 IS IN DUH CARDS.........IFIN' WE SHOW UP FO' BILL & MARE....&....'NOVA.....:(...BRAWK!

Sam Adams
October 31st, 2006, 07:02 AM
Senor Pollo: I wouldn't assume you gonna do the chicken dance on either Bill & Mary or dem Nova Cats. Could happen, but that would greatly depend on what you have left in the tank after the Dukes get done with y'all...and quite frankly, I don't think there will be much left in the tank. Coach Mickey Matthews likes big numbers...:nod:

bluehenbillk
October 31st, 2006, 07:05 AM
Omar is listed as doubtful. But actually the running game & offense as a whole has been in high gear the past 2 weeks.

Longhorn
October 31st, 2006, 07:59 AM
I'd expect that UD will come to play. A win over JMU won't get the Hens into the playoffs, or knock JMU out of the playoffs, but it would salvage what has become a frustrating and disappointing season for the UD Nation. Heaven knows UD fans and players have alot of pride (mostly deserved :bow:) but I do expect JMU to win....and perhaps by a wide margin, especially if JMU's D finds a way to squash UD's O. If JMU controls the line of scrimmage and puts pressure on the Hens QB, it's could be a very long afternoon for those cheering on the Maze and Blue.

A couple of other observations...last year's disappointing season for JMU has tempered the Dukes...lent it a maturity and focus that has helped this team get it's head/chemistry in exactly the right place as it closes out the season. Perhaps this season will do the same for the UD team. Well, that, plus a couple of stud transfer linemen and linebackers that is. :nod:

I'll say it again, UD could win this game. However, Rascati and company can still taste the bitter tang of last year's loss to UD, and payback is the order of the day. It's often said that "revenge" isn't a motivator in college ball....well, maybe....but tell that to UR. :smiley_wi

Post note: I hope Cuff does get to play...hate to see any player hurt. :(

BillLuc1982
October 31st, 2006, 08:18 AM
Is the game a sellout, or can you still get tickets? I'm planning to come to the game on Saturday.

CentDukesFan
October 31st, 2006, 08:22 AM
its a sellout... although im sure youll be able to pick some up off a fan the day of

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 31st, 2006, 08:23 AM
I believe it is sold out, but there were some tickets returned from Delaware that may be available. Go to www.jmusports.com and you can find the number for the JMU ticket office.

Also, I know the CAAZone boards are down, but stop by (www.caazone.com) and put in a request for a ticket. Often times there are a few people who cannot make it for whatever reasons.

Will enjoy getting a Penguins-eye view of our team! ;)

89Hen
October 31st, 2006, 08:27 AM
I would like the Hens chances a lot more if Cuff were healthy. That said, the offense is seeming to find itself. I said at the beginning of the year that the only way the Hens are going to win games is simply outscore their opponents. JMU's defense is good enough that it will be hard for the Hens to do this. Who knows, two years ago in Harrisonburg the Hens won the statistical battle but lost the game, maybe they can reverse fortunes. I usually try to make the games in H'burg, but the 6pm start killed me. I'll be watching at home.

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2006, 08:28 AM
Go Hens!!!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 31st, 2006, 08:29 AM
Omar is listed as doubtful. But actually the running game & offense as a whole has been in high gear the past 2 weeks.

I'm hoping the offense shows up to give our D another tune-up before Towson and the end of the season. They did well against a rush attack on Sat. and it'll do them good to play against a good air attack this week.

PurpleandGold
October 31st, 2006, 09:04 AM
I hope Cuff is at full speed. Even if it means we might drop this one. We need to continue to be tested against the run if we want to go deep in the playoffs, of course, assuming we get there first. We gave up alot of ground yards to URI and to Elijah Brooks of W&M. We handled a good passing game in UNH, will have another shot with Schaefer and Towson, and with Flacco heating up, may get tested there this week as well. I'm confident there, especially with the sacks we're racking up, but I don't want to get to the playoffs only to have Richardson or Felton, or even Alonzo Coleman of Hampton run all over us.

GannonFan
October 31st, 2006, 09:21 AM
Let's face it, with UD's defense as bad as it is, there's almost no way that UD can win this game unless JMU goes into a shell (which, strangely, is not that far fetched considering Mickey's history). UD will need a few turnovers to make this game a possible upset. On the offensive side of the ball, UD's going to move it and probably move it pretty well even considering JMU's defense. For whatever reason, UD seems to know how to attack JMU and they've just riddled JMU's defense with holes the past two years, and that was with offenses not as good as this years. And even without Cuff, who I doubt will play at all, UD's found some pretty decent backups in Michaud and Bradley.

I say that the game is close through halftime, and UD could even be winning at the half, but then as it's been all year, the 3rd quarter will kill UD and JMU should win fairly comfortably - I'm going JMU 42 UD 24.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 31st, 2006, 11:07 AM
Let's face it, with UD's defense as bad as it is, there's almost no way that UD can win this game unless JMU goes into a shell (which, strangely, is not that far fetched considering Mickey's history). UD will need a few turnovers to make this game a possible upset. On the offensive side of the ball, UD's going to move it and probably move it pretty well even considering JMU's defense. For whatever reason, UD seems to know how to attack JMU and they've just riddled JMU's defense with holes the past two years, and that was with offenses not as good as this years. And even without Cuff, who I doubt will play at all, UD's found some pretty decent backups in Michaud and Bradley.

I say that the game is close through halftime, and UD could even be winning at the half, but then as it's been all year, the 3rd quarter will kill UD and JMU should win fairly comfortably - I'm going JMU 42 UD 24.

The last couple of meetings haven't been decided on offense...
in 2004 JMU forced 3 interceptions and had a goalline stand for 4 downs to put it away after a punt return for a touchdown.

In 2005, Cuff did expose a lot of weeknesses in the D for the Dukes, and they took advantage of stopping the JMU rush offense to control the clock and take the game.

This year is going to be different. I think it will be an easier win for JMU than against Richmond, the ground game will be working for the Dukes. Giving them 35 to UD's 17

SunCoastBlueHen
October 31st, 2006, 11:18 AM
No doubt the Dukes are the decided favorite in this one. Delaware will need some big plays on offense and special teams and a turnover or two to have much of a shot. I think JMU's offensive line will just pound UD's defense into the ground. Fortunately for the Hens, I think the Dukes will be content to pound the ball right at Delaware and keep the clock running - this in the end will shorten the game and make the score look more respectable.

Delaware will put a few scores on the board, but will need breaks for any hope at a "W".

28-17 James Madison

DTSpider
October 31st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Having just watched both teams beat UR I'd say that JMU has a clear edge in this game. UD's defense didn't really stop UR as much as they created turnovers at the right teams. JMU has a veteren offense I don't think that they'll suffer the same turnover mistakes. UD's offense is great when Flacco has time to throw. However I think that JMU will blitz creatively and slow him down some. JMU has the firepower to put up a lot of points as well. My first guess would be a 34-21 type game in favor of JMU.

BillLuc1982
October 31st, 2006, 11:31 AM
You also have to remember that JMU nearly beat highly respected Appalachian State and beat New Hampshire. UD better play a flawless game if it expects to win in Harrisonburg on Saturday!

mcveyrl
October 31st, 2006, 12:18 PM
I believe it is sold out, but there were some tickets returned from Delaware that may be available. Go to www.jmusports.com and you can find the number for the JMU ticket office.

Also, I know the CAAZone boards are down, but stop by (www.caazone.com) and put in a request for a ticket. Often times there are a few people who cannot make it for whatever reasons.

Will enjoy getting a Penguins-eye view of our team! ;)

Game has been sold out for a while. I've managed to get 4 tickets off of CAA zone. Ticket office said that the only thing to do was check Gate A on the day of the game. But, I'm sure that there will be some available.

Black Saturday
October 31st, 2006, 12:36 PM
You also have to remember that JMU nearly beat highly respected Appalachian State and beat New Hampshire. UD better play a flawless game if it expects to win in Harrisonburg on Saturday!

I don't think 21-3 at the half and 21-10 final in Boone was very close Mr. Penguin.

mcveyrl
October 31st, 2006, 12:49 PM
I don't think 21-3 at the half and 21-10 final in Boone was very close Mr. Penguin.

As much as it pains me to say it, he's right. We had a good opening drive, but after that, it was nothing until later in the second half.

I think it would be closer now, but it was not close that day.

But it was closer than Furman. :D :D

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2006, 03:02 PM
UD's offense even without Cuff... might be able to put some decent points on the board... but the fact is the the Hen's defense... with the worst DL talent that I've ever seen at UD... won't be able to keep JMU's offense off the field long enough for Flacco & Co to do any serious damage.

BDKJMU
October 31st, 2006, 03:38 PM
I'm going JMU 42 UD 24.

No way JMU gives up a season high in pts to UD unless you guys get a couple of TDs in garbage time- JMU has given up 6 mid/late 4th quarter TDs after being up by 3 TDs or more, mostly with backups in. Esp if Cuff isn't healthy. JMU D allowing under 15 pts a game. Starters in contested games giving up uner 10. Senior day for JMU-last regular season home game. That, and the revenge factor from last year. I don't think this one is even close. JMU 38-10.

JMU2004
October 31st, 2006, 04:07 PM
After the last two years, I will never take UD lightly....They play us very well, and we can't seem to adjust.

I predict a NARROW JMU win....but I wouldn't be shocked if UD beats us. They have the horses on Offense, and a few turnovers by JMU could make this a long night! Just ask UR!!

JMUfan2008
October 31st, 2006, 04:44 PM
they're defense is not good! they might score 2 TD's on their own, a TD and FG off of turnovers if they're lucky...we score at least 35 on them...the score will be at least 35-24

Nebuta
October 31st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Both offenses will have big numbers.
Delaware implements its 'new' D. (ie. the On-side kick)
But just isnt enough as JMU gets the ball last wins. 49-42.

TSU84returntoglory
October 31st, 2006, 05:29 PM
The Blue Hens and Tigers are similar teams - great offenses :hurray: , porous defenses :bawling: . UD has enough firepower to win. But, they need a subpar showing from the Dukes offense to have a shot. Can UD's D get throttled 2 weeks in a row? JMU - 28 UD - 24

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 31st, 2006, 06:11 PM

The score wasn't as close as the game was... if there had been a flag as there should have been on the second drive for the dukes when the refs gave up a pick, :nonono2: the dukes would have been in position to at least not give away the field position.
We did get beat, but a couple of calls and a couple of plays would have put that game into our hands.

Madisonian
October 31st, 2006, 06:54 PM

ASU and JMU fans alike: Did any of you people even watch or listen to that game? 21-10, True. JMU with 100 yards more of offense, True. JMU turnovers in the redzone 2, True. No production out of ASU in the 2nd half, True. 21-10 could have just as easily been 21-24. I have to agree with the Penguin on his assessment.

Go Dukes!

Sincerely,
Homer #1 (but the facts are the facts):smiley_wi

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 31st, 2006, 07:31 PM
ASU and JMU fans alike: Did any of you people even watch or listen to that game? 21-10, True. JMU with 100 yards more of offense, True. JMU turnovers in the redzone 2, True. No production out of ASU in the 2nd half, True. 21-10 could have just as easily been 21-24. I have to agree with the Penguin on his assessment.

Go Dukes!

Sincerely,
Homer #1 (but the facts are the facts):smiley_wi
I have to laugh at these remarks. Was it close or a blowout.......

Just keep winning and maybe the two teams will meet in Chatty. I would love to go back.

Lets win one game at a time and let ASU keep the # 1 ranking....they deserve it.

GO DUKES.

HensRock
October 31st, 2006, 07:48 PM
Delaware Blue Hens at #4 James Madison Dukes

Make that:

elaware Blue Hens at #4 James Madison Dukes

XJMU84
October 31st, 2006, 08:26 PM
I was at the ASU/JMU game and let's not forget that the ASU receiver fumbled inside the JMU 5 yardline after catching that long pass and being hit by a defensive back. Two JMU defenders and the receiver scrambled after the ball and it luckily (for ASU) rolled out of bounds inside the 5. ASU scored after that (this was just before the half). That game was much closer than the 21-10 score would indicate. :nod:

TSU84returntoglory
October 31st, 2006, 10:12 PM
Make that:

elaware Blue Hens at #4 James Madison Dukes

xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
October 31st, 2006, 10:22 PM
Several people have mentioned about Delaware having a good offense. But didn't they put up only 10 at home in their loss against Albany withh Cuff playing and 10 in their win against Hofstra without Cuff?

blur2005
November 1st, 2006, 12:08 AM
Several people have mentioned about Delaware having a good offense. But didn't they put up only 10 at home in their loss against Albany withh Cuff playing and 10 in their win against Hofstra without Cuff?
Cuff also scored four TDs last time JMU and Delaware met, so I would qualify him as something of a difference maker.

Sam Adams
November 1st, 2006, 05:52 AM
Cuff is a good back but he won't matter here. JMU is gonna romp & stomp all over the chicken defense and JMU's D will hold the hens down.

MR. CHICKEN
November 1st, 2006, 05:57 AM
Cuff is a good back but he won't matter here. JMU is gonna romp & stomp all over the chicken defense and JMU's D will hold the hens down.

COME ON PILGRIM.......IT'S 6:57...IN DUH AM............: smh :...AWK!

th0m
November 1st, 2006, 06:09 AM
Lol. It's like 1:09 PM here MR. Brawk :)

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 07:27 AM
I have to laugh at these remarks. Was it close or a blowout.......

Just keep winning and maybe the two teams will meet in Chatty. I would love to go back.

Lets win one game at a time and let ASU keep the # 1 ranking....they deserve it.

GO DUKES.

I can see how some would say that it was closer than the score, but I think that's only because we held them to 0 points in the second half and some breaks for them gave them opportunities in the first half.

However, the game was really never exciting and after they scored their second touchdown I never felt like we were in the game. We also got some second half breaks that we didn't take advantage of.

So, it was close, but it wasn't.:D :D :D

Anyway, I agree, one at a time. ASU deserves the #1 until they get beat, and we won't have that chance until the playoffs.

Dukes.

89Hen
November 1st, 2006, 08:16 AM
Give it a rest Sam. :rolleyes:

BillLuc1982
November 1st, 2006, 08:17 AM
89Hen, it's a shame you can't make it down. I will be at the game, actually with a date!

Longhorn
November 1st, 2006, 08:26 AM

Yes, and we scored only 14 against Bloomsburg....but that was then, and like Albany for UD, early season games for both programs. Since then UD and JMU have learned to move the ball and score, and UD has been doing it more often than not without Cuff. Unfortunately for Delaware, they have also been exposed by a near total lack of defense, especially up front, and JMU's D has actually been more impressive than Rascati's offense.

Delaware may now be "elaware" having completely lost their "D"...but their O is solid. Whether the game is close or a blowout (either way JMU should win) depends a great deal on JMU's effort to pressure the Hens QB in the same way we pressured UNH and UR. All told...I expect Akeem and Winston to have monster games on Senior Day :nod:

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 10:52 AM
89Hen, it's a shame you can't make it down. I will be at the game, actually with a date!

Did you get tickets? I may have (at least) one coming open.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 1st, 2006, 11:24 AM

The weatherman is calling for a beautiful fall day in Harrisonburg on Saturday. Sunny, light breez, high of 50. To all going to the game - enjoy! I wish I could be there...

GannonFan
November 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM
Yes, and we scored only 14 against Bloomsburg....but that was then, and like Albany for UD, early season games for both programs. Since then UD and JMU have learned to move the ball and score, and UD has been doing it more often than not without Cuff. Unfortunately for Delaware, they have also been exposed by a near total lack of defense, especially up front, and JMU's D has actually been more impressive than Rascati's offense.

Delaware may now be "elaware" having completely lost their "D"...but their O is solid. Whether the game is close or a blowout (either way JMU should win) depends a great deal on JMU's effort to pressure the Hens QB in the same way we pressured UNH and UR. All told...I expect Akeem and Winston to have monster games on Senior Day :nod:

Agreed, you can't get carried away trying to lean on things that happened in the 1st or 2nd games of the season when you're in Week 10 of the season - as the year goes on things change. UD's offense was terribly unimaginative at the start of the year - whether it was because Patrick sat out the whole preseason and they wanted to break him in slowly, whether because with Flacco being a new QB they wanted to keep things simple, who knows. But the offense has matured, Flacco looks to be an absolute stud back there and can make a good case of becoming the best returning QB in the conference next year, Patrick is showing why he's a 3rd or 4th round NFL pick as a TE, and the WR's are finally healthy, especially Love. The offensive line, for some reason bewildered at the start of the year, is doing well and Michaud and Bradley have proven to be capable backups for Cuff, although not the same thing. The offense is good, and is actually very good.

Defense, yeah, we don't play it. If KC holds to his statement expect a lot of new faces on the defense Saturday and that means a lot of young kids. There'll be tons of growing pains and JMU should move the ball at will. But UD will score their share, at least for awhile. Close game through halftime, and JMU pulls it out in the second half.

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'm interested to hear what UD fans think of KC playing some of the younger guys this weekend.

Initially it seems like he's given up on the season, but I can see how you might think that the defense can't get much worse (although I haven't seen Delaware play this year, I've seen the scores).

I've gotta think the young guys have been playing against a pretty good squad in practice, so I don't know how much of a drop-off it would be. Do you all think that it improves your chances, decreases them, or they stay about the same? If it decreases them, would you rather keep the starters in to have a better chance of knocking off a conference rival and a top 5 team or get the new guys experience against a conference rival and a top 5 team?

(Edit: Didn't mean for this to read like an essay question, but it did. So I guess I should conclude with. Discuss all issues.)

SunCoastBlueHen
November 1st, 2006, 12:16 PM
I'm interested to hear what UD fans think of KC playing some of the younger guys this weekend.

Evidently, in the Towson game a good number of the many mental mistakes made on defense were actually committed by upperclassmen. I think to a certain degree that the Hens are playing for next year and trying to get some of the younger guys more game experience. At the same time, I think the general feeling is that the defensive play on the field may not suffer much by sitting a few seniors who have been mistake prone.

BillLuc1982
November 1st, 2006, 01:24 PM
What time should I arrive in Harrisonburg, and how much should I pay for tickets?

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 01:36 PM
What time should I arrive in Harrisonburg, and how much should I pay for tickets?

Early, I would say at latest between 3-4. I would think that you could get tickets close to face value, which is $17.

JMU Duke Dog
November 1st, 2006, 06:02 PM
Early, I would say at latest between 3-4. I would think that you could get tickets close to face value, which is $17.

Are tickets even still available besides finding someone outside the stadium?

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Are tickets even still available besides finding someone outside the stadium?

Not to my knowledge. Ticket office said that you can check gate A on gameday for any that were returned. Told me it wasn't worth it to call back this week. Might've been jerking me around, but I found tickets on CAAzone

ChickenMan
November 2nd, 2006, 05:55 AM
Reported in today's paper...

NEWARK -- University of Delaware tailback Omar Cuff "is probably still a week away"from playing, coach K.C. Keeler said Wednesday.

Cuff, an All-American selection last year when he rushed for 1,205 yards, has missed three of Delaware's last four games with an ankle sprain. Kervin Michaud would start in his place.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061102/SPORTS07/611020317/1028&theme=

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Reported in today's paper...

NEWARK -- University of Delaware tailback Omar Cuff "is probably still a week away"from playing, coach K.C. Keeler said Wednesday.

Cuff, an All-American selection last year when he rushed for 1,205 yards, has missed three of Delaware's last four games with an ankle sprain. Kervin Michaud would start in his place.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061102/SPORTS07/611020317/1028&theme=

Looks like we'll be playing a team very committed to a passing attack... Its such a shame. I wanted to see Omar play one more time before I graduate.

BillLuc1982
November 3rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
Will there be any AGS'ers tailgating. Plus I found out that I only need 1 ticket. My JMU date cancelled out on me. That doesn't stop me from coming down and having a good time. Can't wait to see some competitive football!

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Will there be any AGS'ers tailgating. Plus I found out that I only need 1 ticket. My JMU date cancelled out on me. That doesn't stop me from coming down and having a good time. Can't wait to see some competitive football!
Last time I was in H'burg I stopped by a tailgate sponsored by the CAAZone, another message board, but not as active anymore. They were in the lot between the stadium and I-81. I actually parked across 81 and walked through the tunnel under the highway. The only bad thing about that is it is all uphill after the game.

th0m
November 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Dukesdomain.com IV tailgate:

http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=52936

I'm sure they'd love to host you. (goes for all fans of course!)

BillLuc1982
November 3rd, 2006, 01:21 PM
The only bad thing about that is it is all uphill after the game.

All uphill, huh? That'll help my kicking leg. By the way, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wd2XDeJmE

Yup, that's me.

BeauFoster
November 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM

Yup, that's me.

Pretty impressive! You could probably kick for 10-15 I-A schools if you still have any eligibility left!

BillLuc1982
November 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Pretty impressive! You could probably kick for 10-15 I-A schools if you still have any eligibility left!

I'm almost 25 years old and have an MBA. What I would do to get another Bachelor's Degree. A couple assistants at YSU (who are no longer there) didn't even give me a chance and gave me the "invited walkons excuse". It's a shame because the players wanted me to try out. The one coach laughed in my face. I remember before the 2001 Elon game (2 months before I told the coaches my intention) the Elon trainers were amazed that I was kicking 48-52 yarders consistently.

After that cancelled date, I may be able to hit from 60.

bandl
November 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM

Yup, that's me.
The hill's not that bad. Unless you have some kids in tow (or on shoulders) like 89.

BeauFoster
November 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
I'm almost 25 years old and have an MBA. What I would do to get another Bachelor's Degree. A couple assistants at YSU (who are no longer there) didn't even give me a chance and gave me the "invited walkons excuse". It's a shame because the players wanted me to try out. The one coach laughed in my face. I remember before the 2001 Elon game (2 months before I told the coaches my intention) the Elon trainers were amazed that I was kicking 48-52 yarders consistently.

After that cancelled date, I may be able to hit from 60.

That is a shame but I know of at least one school that doesn't "actively" recruit kickers other than inviting them to walk on and then giving them $ later on in their career. I think many schools this year (bigger and smaller) that you have to pay special teams players just like you pay the rest of the team. Besides, how many kickers lead their team in points every year?

BillLuc1982
November 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
That is a shame but I know of at least one school that doesn't "actively" recruit kickers other than inviting them to walk on and then giving them $ later on in their career. I think many schools this year (bigger and smaller) that you have to pay special teams players just like you pay the rest of the team. Besides, how many kickers lead their team in points every year?

I already had an academic full ride at YSU and just wanted to be part of the team, even if I were a backup. I kicked in high school and got better after high school because I put on some pounds, practiced, and stayed in the weightroom. In HS I was 6'2"/164, and when I wanted to kick, I was 6'4"/202.

I didn't need a scholarship; I just wanted to try out!

Other than that incident, I'm very satisfied with the education I got at YSU! Jim Tressel and Jon Heacock are two class acts.

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
The hill's not that bad. Unless you have some kids in tow (or on shoulders) like 89.
Hey, you have a good memory. :nod:

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM

My cousin could kick like that. Was the all conference punter in Greensboro and wanted to walk on at ASU. He was invited to the walk-on tryouts and sprinted 100 yds with the other walk-ons. Four fastest guys got invited to walk on. Never kicked once and I guarantee you that he could outkick ASU's punters when he was polished. This was leading into '05 by the way. To his credit, he was disappointed but is still one of the biggest App fans I know.

BeauFoster
November 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
My cousin could kick like that. Was the all conference punter in Greensboro and wanted to walk on at ASU. He was invited to the walk-on tryouts and sprinted 100 yds with the other walk-ons. Four fastest guys got invited to walk on. Never kicked once and I guarantee you that he could outkick ASU's punters when he was polished. This was leading into '05 by the way. To his credit, he was disappointed but is still one of the biggest App fans I know.

I know of a kid from Miller's Creek, NC who could absolutely bomb the ball. He walked on at Florida State and was red-shirted. He spent a year there and hated it so he came back to NC. He played for a year or so with ASU but I never saw him kick (he may have but it wasn't often). I watched him kick a 58 yarder in high school and constantly put KOs out of the end zone. He had some real talent.

JMUfan2008
November 3rd, 2006, 02:42 PM
I had a friend in high school who played soccer. His senior year he started practicing in the summer with the football team and was kicking 60 yard FG's. Then his travel soccer team's coach said he couldn't do both so he chose soccer. I really think when someone doesn't make it onto the JMU soccer team they just need to send 'em over to be our football team's kicker/punter :nod:

BeauFoster
November 3rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Our kickers in high school were normally a soccer player. In rural NC, they are usually the best at figuring out how to not toe-poke it.

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.jmu.edu/map/index.shtml

The parking parking garage, 2 closest paved lots and 2 closest grass parking fields to the stadium (Lake/west edge of Village areas on the interactive map) are for Duke Club members. In the Village/Hillside area (RI lot by baseball stadium and C4 Hillside lot across the street) its a short 5-10 min walk to the stadium. I'm not sure who can park there- I think they're open to the public on game day. Or, as has already been mentioned, you can park in one of the Convo lots (Ridge area) and just walk downhill to through the tunnel under I81 (Duke Dog Alley) to the stadium, at most a 1/2 mi./less than 10 min downhill, maybe 15 minutes walk on the way back. Or you can park in one of the new lots in the Skyline area, a little further walk, but have shuttles running back and forth to the stadium. Not sure if there is any charges to park in any of these lots, since I'm in the Duke club and will be parking in Hansen Field near the stadium.

Dukie95
November 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
Wow...looks to be a cold one!

38 at kickoff, and 32 by the final whistle.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USVA0351?dayNum=1&from=36hr_fcst_undeclared