PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: NDSU vs UN_ 2015/2019

Pages : [1] 2

aces1180
August 21st, 2014, 10:30 PM
Confirmed by ND NBC news. Both games in Fargo. Lol!

gumby013
August 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM
http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26343113/announcement-expected-ndsu-und-set-to-meet-again

IBleedYellow
August 21st, 2014, 10:32 PM
Links?

Edit: Gumby you suck. I was seconds after you.

JSUBison
August 21st, 2014, 10:36 PM
It's over Johnny. I'll miss playing FBS games, and having 6 home games.

IBleedYellow
August 21st, 2014, 10:37 PM

Agreed. Looks like we're tied back to the school that only cares about hockey. Sigh.

Drblankstare
August 21st, 2014, 10:40 PM
I'm just glad we can stop talking about the possibility of this game. Now we can get down to the bitterness and name calling that comes with actually playing each other.

centennial
August 21st, 2014, 11:04 PM
F. That is all I can say. UN_ just took it in the butt.

dewey
August 21st, 2014, 11:05 PM
It will be interesting to see exactly what the contract terms are. Number of visitor seats allocated, buyout amount, how much is NDSU paying UN_ for the two games, and is there any contract language about the Nickel trophy and or return trips to El Grande Forko?

Dewey

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed x 1000!

Dewey

BisonFan02
August 21st, 2014, 11:16 PM
It will be interesting to see exactly what the contract terms are. Number of visitor seats allocated, buyout amount, how much is NDSU paying UN_ for the two games, and is there any contract language about the Nickel trophy and or return trips to El Grande Forko?

Dewey

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed x 1000!

Dewey

200 visitor tickets....not going to screw up the existing ticket model with season tickets and limited single game tickets.

darell1976
August 22nd, 2014, 12:40 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-football-und-ndsu-rivalry-appears-be-back-track

2015/2019...it could be a h/h with 2019 a 12 game season.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2014, 12:45 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-football-und-ndsu-rivalry-appears-be-back-track

2015/2019...it could be a h/h with 2019 a 12 game season.

No

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2014, 06:24 AM
Both games in Fargo? Acceptable

Bison can still have a FBS game with UND on the schedule. Go to GF in a 12 game season.

dewey
August 22nd, 2014, 06:36 AM
This Fargo Forum article has UN_ playing in Fargo in 2015 and 2019. I wonder which one it actually is 2015 and 2017 or 2015 and 2019?

Hail the Bison.

Dewey

deez_na
August 22nd, 2014, 07:06 AM
I think it's 2015 & 2019 but who knows.

NDSUstudent
August 22nd, 2014, 07:26 AM
Why can't we get a quality opponent? This is like scheduling two home games in a row with Southeast Missouri State. Come on NDSU.

Bisonator
August 22nd, 2014, 07:31 AM
Great. xsmhx

Mattymc727
August 22nd, 2014, 07:47 AM
Ive never seen a fan base be so upset about getting two home games with their arch rivals.....CRAZY

Herder
August 22nd, 2014, 07:58 AM
Ive never seen a fan base be so upset about getting two home games with their arch rivals.....CRAZY

Pretty toxic silver spoon bunch to the north. Should be a good financial deal for NDSU, but the newspaper will be loaded with crap the day after the game.

WileECoyote06
August 22nd, 2014, 08:00 AM

I'd be calling for our ADs head if she made a deal like UND accepted.

NDSUstudent
August 22nd, 2014, 08:02 AM
Actually kind of funny that both sides aren't happy. NDSU isn't happy because we have to schedule a weak opponent and UND isn't happy because they have to travel to Fargo with no return game.

FargoBison
August 22nd, 2014, 08:03 AM
This is what their coach wanted, it truly is the best thing for their program. People here don't view them on NDSU's level. They need this game badly.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 08:04 AM
"Oh man we hate UND but we have to play them now? ****. You mean we can't play Robert Morris and Saint Francis?"

aces1180
August 22nd, 2014, 08:04 AM
NDSU just made UN_ it's bitch...I for one love it and can't wait to piss pound them.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 08:05 AM
Also when/if NDSU has .500 seasons after their NC run..because..let's be honest..it could happen...will they still view UND as inferior even if UND improves in the Big Sky?

NDSUstudent
August 22nd, 2014, 08:11 AM
Also when/if NDSU has .500 seasons after their NC run..because..let's be honest..it could happen...will they still view UND as inferior even if UND improves in the Big Sky?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/103/366/Captain-Obvious.jpg

Kind of tough not to improve from 3-8 and also tough for NDSU to stay 15-0.

FargoBison
August 22nd, 2014, 08:11 AM
Its more likely NDSU wins another title this year than that happening. Their coach know that as well.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 08:14 AM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/103/366/Captain-Obvious.jpg

Kind of tough not to improve from 3-8 and also tough for NDSU to stay 15-0.

Ah so the _____ can have their opportunity to thumb their nose at the Bison if that happens.

Interesting how the football landscape works.

Glad to see rivals actually playing each other.

NDSUstudent
August 22nd, 2014, 08:15 AM
Ah so the _____ can have their opportunity to thumb their nose at the Bison if that happens.

Sure, as soon as they win three NCs.

Drblankstare
August 22nd, 2014, 08:26 AM
All the comments about not wanting this game because it's scheduling a bad team seem disingenuous to me. Yes UND has been bad lately, but their a Big Sky team and I think they will offer a hell of a lot better competition than what NDSU has been bringing in for home games lately (obviously Montana State forced NDSU into some issues with that). Of course UND needs this game more than the Bison right now, but NDSU gets both games at home and it's only 2 games in the next 5 yrs. I'm fine with it.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 08:36 AM
Sure, as soon as they win three NCs.

When it's the 2019 game, you'll sound like Dallas Cowboys fans..

NDSUstudent
August 22nd, 2014, 08:40 AM
When it's the 2019 game, you'll sound like Dallas Cowboys fans..

I hope we have a new stadium by then ;)

BisonBacker
August 22nd, 2014, 08:48 AM
For NDSU there is no upside to this period.

FargoBison
August 22nd, 2014, 08:50 AM
There is some upside, this is being done on our terms.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Hopefully all the hillbillies can get it out of their system now and then we can move on. The game can be fun if perception's are changed and left in the past. UND is eating crow by signing this and I hope that the NDSU fanbase can realize that and move on.

Mattymc727
August 22nd, 2014, 09:00 AM
How is beating your arch rival at home in front of a raucous crowd not upside???? Citizens of ND should take great pride in this game, and not sound like this is such a stock market crash. With all of this home game/ money talk, Bison fans sound like brokers on Wall Street.

This is football baby!

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2014, 09:10 AM
@JamalSpencerVNL: NDSU will provide UND cash guarantees of $125,000 for the first game and $140,000 for the second game, plus 500 tickets

Holy ****, I think Ferris State got better.

Makes sense. Both DII programs

Bisonator
August 22nd, 2014, 09:11 AM
The problem isn't the game itself, it's all the bull**** that comes with it. Seriously this is a toxic relationship and NDSU is always made out to look like the bad guy. UN_'s new coach is behind this deal, he knows they have lost all relevancy in the region. This is their only way to gain some of it back. It's truly a win/win for UN_ and a lose/lose for NDSU. With that said we all knew the game was going to be played again eventually and with it being 2 games in Fargo it's at least on NDSU's terms.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 09:15 AM
Let it out bigboy....anger and defiance always comes first.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2014, 09:17 AM
The problem isn't the game itself, it's all the bull**** that comes with it. Seriously this is a toxic relationship and NDSU is always made out to look like the bad guy. UN_'s new coach is behind this deal, he knows they have lost all relevancy in the region. This is their only way to gain some of it back. It's truly a win/win for UN_ and a lose/lose for NDSU. With that said we all knew the game was going to be played again eventually and with it being 2 games in Fargo it's at least on NDSU's terms.

actually what it might do is end their folly in the Big Sky and join their Dakota friends in conference.

BisonBacker
August 22nd, 2014, 09:18 AM
In the State of North Dakota NDSU IS THEE Football team. It's a no win situation for NDSU and for the whioux it gives them relevance and when they lose it'll be, well nobody expected us to win anyway. On top of that this will be the perpetual foot in the door to keep this train wreck going. In a 12 game season fine but if it means losing a home OOC game it's a huge loss financially as well as from the viewpoint of the casual fan who see's them at the same level. I damn well guarantee you they will eventually be wanting this on a every year basis mark it down.

- - - Updated - - -

Spot on!

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 09:24 AM
In the State of North Dakota NDSU IS THEE Football team. It's a no win situation for NDSU and for the whioux it gives them relevance and when they lose it'll be, well nobody expected us to win anyway. On top of that this will be the perpetual foot in the door to keep this train wreck going. In a 12 game season fine but if it means losing a home OOC game it's a huge loss financially as well as from the viewpoint of the casual fan who see's them at the same level. I damn well guarantee you they will eventually be wanting this on a every year basis mark it down.

- - - Updated - - -

Spot on!

Please explain how this is a huge loss financially? You ****ing have played PVA&M, Robert Morris, and Saint Francis. You're acting like you're bringing in big teams for OOC at home when you really are bringing in cupcakes. Get over yourself in that regard. This isn't a loss.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2014, 09:27 AM
Please explain how this is a huge loss financially? You ****ing have played PVA&M, Robert Morris, and Saint Francis. You're acting like you're bringing in big teams for OOC at home when you really are bringing in cupcakes. Get over yourself in that regard. This isn't a loss.

Hey now...be nice. Robert Morris has a pretty good shot at beating UND this year. xlolx

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 09:27 AM

I love how fans think they are forensic accountants who run the athletic department. You have no idea what happens to the money when it comes in/where it comes from and thenwhere it gets spent. It's like buying a car, money just floats around and somehow a price is met.
Spot on!

Mattymc727
August 22nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Plus wouldnt it be good for the state? As in local businesses, hotels, restaurants can make big bucks all week long? How is this game worse than hosting Ferris State?

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 09:29 AM
Hey now...be nice. Robert Morris has a pretty good shot at beating UND this year. xlolx

xlolx

Bisonator
August 22nd, 2014, 09:30 AM
Those are one time contracts. This will not end trust me. It will eventually lead to more games and less scheduling opportunities for NDSU.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2014, 09:31 AM
Plus wouldnt it be good for the state? As in local businesses, hotels, restaurants can make big bucks all week long? How is this game worse than hosting Ferris State?

Not true. UND fans would only be coming the day of the game and it wouldn't have any more of an effect than non-fargo resident Bison fans selling out the dome. Montana on the other hand might bring a bigger contingency and stay for awhile. I guess merchandising will make a decent amount selling game specific shirts? Can't say I would buy one, but I'm sure there's enough out there that would.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 09:32 AM
Those are one time contracts. This will not end trust me. It will eventually lead to more games and less scheduling opportunities for NDSU.

But again, you aren't exactly scheduling the cream of the crop (no offense EWU, Montana) with your OOC. You have a cupcake game. This can be your yearly cupcake game and you get a trophy too.

FargoBison
August 22nd, 2014, 09:32 AM
Incarnate Word: $190k garauntee

UND: $125k and $145k

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 09:33 AM

How much does it cost for IW to get there?

Let it out.....

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 09:35 AM

It's much more expensive for UIW to travel to Fargo from San Antonio than it is for UND to take a bus 70 miles.

BisonFan02
How much does it cost for IW to get there?

Let it out.....

Thank the "new" UND fans in advance for their interest in FCS "futbol"

Bisonator

Our economy isn't hurting. This won't be any different then having 2 out state opponents in GF and Fargo. In fact hotels would probably lose money on this since most fans will simply show up for the game and go home. There will only be 500 UN_ tickets available anyway. This whole idea that it would be a boom for the economy is a farce.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 09:36 AM
Our economy isn't hurting. This won't be any different then having 2 out state opponents in GF and Fargo. In fact hotels would probably lose money on this since most fans will simply show up for the game and go home. There will only be 500 UN_ tickets available anyway. This whole idea that it would be a boom for the economy is a farce.

The whole idea that this will hurt NDSU financially is a farce as well.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2014, 09:36 AM

Which is actually a bump from the typical 200. I'm actually not happy about this even though I've got my tickets on lockdown via season tickets.

Bisonator
August 22nd, 2014, 09:38 AM

Sorry it's fact. Especially when more games are scheduled and NDSU eventually has to go to GF.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2014, 09:38 AM

It won't directly, but propping up your main/local "competitor" will not pay dividends down the road is the argument most will make in this regard.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
At this point, the sky defnitely isn't falling. It seems that my fellow Bison fans are all in a bubble in which they think they will get a FBS and 6 home games every year. Obviously this isn't the case. We clearly have road game in the next 2 years in Weber St and Montana. This isn't a terribly big deal.

I think the ideal situation would be to get everybody in conference. The UND game has some juice. I know I'll be there.

BisonBacker
August 22nd, 2014, 09:42 AM

What part of 6 home games SOLD OUT don't you get. This will turn into a every year deal or they will be bitching for that I ***king guarantee you. That loss of a OOC home game is a financial loss to NDSU. What part of that don't you understand???? It has nothing to do with who we bring in. Besides that PVA&M, Robert Morris, Saint Francis or UN_ what ****ing difference does it make the quality of the competition isn't much different between them.

BisonBacker
August 22nd, 2014, 09:43 AM

Thank you... Someone else who gets it!

AmsterBison
August 22nd, 2014, 09:44 AM
But again, you aren't exactly scheduling the cream of the crop (no offense EWU, Montana) with your OOC. You have a cupcake game. This can be your yearly cupcake game and you get a trophy too.

Good point. It seems that NDSU's new scheduling philosophy is to schedule a cupcake, an FBS team, and a home-and-home with an FCS power program. I have no problem replacing NDSU's cupcake game with UND even though UND might not always be a soft, squishy snack treat.

Not going to be such a fan of a home and home with UND. If that's what they need, they should stop pretending that the Big Sky is perfect for them and join the MVFC/Summit.

Note: Is it possible to change the title of this thread to reflect the actual years?

MarkyMark
August 22nd, 2014, 09:45 AM

WOW! That's all we are paying?

Bison fans should be quite pleased, this is a very cheap payout that will make NDSU bucketloads of money in sponsorships and tickets starting at $50 for endzone and general admission. NDSU could charge whatever they want for this game, it will sell out.

NDSUstudent
August 22nd, 2014, 09:48 AM
Actually I don't think we are going to play for change anymore. One side of the coin is hostile and abusive.

BisonBacker
August 22nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
Here's another drawback and will be the elephant in the room when this happens and I guarantee you it will happen. NDSU due to a few people (not going to say fans) will be made to look bad because the inevitable SIOUX SUCK (fill in whatever derogatory slang word you want) will be shouted by a few idiots. Then UN_ fans and the media will be all over it like fly's on a turd and NDSU will get the black eye for their troubled past with the SIOUX nickname debacle. Again mark that down I guarantee you it will be used against NDSU and it's fans.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2014, 09:58 AM
I'm not a PC police guy, but part of me would think its funny if the Fargodome banned Sioux gear for the game in an effort to prevent the outbursts. /end sarcasm xlolx

dewey
August 22nd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Here is an update from the Bison Media Blog

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

NDSU and UND will play once again in football. The two sides have agreed on a two game series beginning on September 19th, 2015 in Fargo and then again on September 7th, 2019 once again in Fargo. UND will receive 125,000 for the ’15 game and 140K for the 2019 game along with 500 tickets. Former NDSU AD Gene Taylor outlined the deal with UND AD Brian Faison. There’s a press conference scheduled for 12:30 this afternoon, WDAY will be carrying it live, stay tuned for more info.

I love the fact that NDSU gets UN_ in the Fargodome for very little.

Hail the Bison!

Dewey

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 10:12 AM
"Oh man we hate UND but we have to play them now? ****. You mean we can't play Robert Morris and Saint Francis?"

You would give up your K-State for which non-conference FCS school?

- - - Updated - - -

Not viewed as inferior by most, just a non-conference game that will get in the way of scheduling a FBS school.

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 10:13 AM

They have thumbed their nose at us in the past, multiple times.

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 10:15 AM
How is beating your arch rival at home in front of a raucous crowd not upside???? Citizens of ND should take great pride in this game, and not sound like this is such a stock market crash. With all of this home game/ money talk, Bison fans sound like brokers on Wall Street.

This is football baby!

Don't think FBS game money is to be had though. All games are selling out, and there is a waiting list for season tickets. 47,000+ on the ticket request list with 12,000 season tickets from that base.

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 10:17 AM

If it replaces a FBS game it is worse.

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 10:28 AM
I like that the games are both played at NDSU. It will have been 12 years since the last game. I still hope it does not replace a FBS game.

nodak651
August 22nd, 2014, 10:30 AM
WOW... every NDSU fan in this thread has been a douche. How typical.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2014, 10:31 AM

Welcome back...we appreciate your renewed interest in FCS football.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 10:38 AM

Acting as if you represent FCS football. Typical.

Let it out boys....

BisonBacker
August 22nd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Acting as if you represent FCS football. Typical.

Let it out boys....

Well we know you guys don't xlolx

NDSUstudent
August 22nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
We will not be playing for the hostile and abusive coin...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-ndsu-wont-play-nickel-trophy-renewed-rivalry

AmsterBison
August 22nd, 2014, 10:51 AM

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-ndsu-wont-play-nickel-trophy-renewed-rivalry

Good Lord. What a bunch of pussies.

Go Bison
August 22nd, 2014, 10:52 AM
Here's another drawback and will be the elephant in the room when this happens and I guarantee you it will happen. NDSU due to a few people (not going to say fans) will be made to look bad because the inevitable SIOUX SUCK (fill in whatever derogatory slang word you want) will be shouted by a few idiots. Then UN_ fans and the media will be all over it like fly's on a turd and NDSU will get the black eye for their troubled past with the SIOUX nickname debacle. Again mark that down I guarantee you it will be used against NDSU and it's fans.

Yeah, that is what I don't like either. Heck, a UND fan could start the chant and it would be reported. I think the media is the real winner on this deal.

Bisonator
August 22nd, 2014, 10:52 AM

That's bull****. Typical of who we're dealing with though....

Go Bison
August 22nd, 2014, 10:54 AM

Why not donate it to the ND Heritage Center then? It belongs in a museum (cue Indiana Jones).

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2014, 10:54 AM
That's bull****. Typical of who we're dealing with though....

Who cares? When you pay for a cheap whore, do you ask for change back?

NDSUstudent
August 22nd, 2014, 10:55 AM
Just make a different trophy.

Mattymc727
August 22nd, 2014, 10:56 AM

Now thats just dumb. To want to continue the series but not put up the rivalry's symbolic coin is BS. The Coin should be up for grabs for every meeting, just like the musket is for UNH and Maine.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 10:58 AM
It cannot be a part of the game because of the Indian Head on one side. That is the reason why, 100%.

AmsterBison
August 22nd, 2014, 11:01 AM
Why not donate it to the ND Heritage Center then? It belongs in a museum (cue Indiana Jones).

Hah, you are either asking a rhetorical question or you have been lucky enough not to see UND in action.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 11:04 AM
It cannot be a part of the game because of the Indian Head on one side. That is the reason why, 100%.

That's stupid seeing as how SFA and NW State play for a 7 foot tall statue of an Indian (Feather, not dot)

AmsterBison
August 22nd, 2014, 11:05 AM

That is 100% incorrect. UND's agreement with the NCAA clearly states what must be retired. The Nickel Trophy is not on that list.

But, from past experience I know that the truth will never get in the way of bullcrap like that being repeated as fact ad infinitum by UND people.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 11:07 AM
You would give up your K-State for which non-conference FCS school?

- - - Updated - - -

Not viewed as inferior by most, just a non-conference game that will get in the way of scheduling a FBS school.

You aren't hosting a FBS school. You can travel for your OOC road game. This game won't travel back to Grand Forks.

deez_na
August 22nd, 2014, 11:10 AM
I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't replace any FBS games otherwise get rid of them.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 11:12 AM
That is 100% incorrect. UND's agreement with the NCAA clearly states what must be retired. The Nickel Trophy is not on that list.

But, from past experience I know that the truth will never get in the way of bullcrap like that being repeated as fact ad infinitum by UND people.

Yah that never happens from your ultra-intelligent fanbase. Yes it is the reason why. Neither school wanted it to be part of the game because of the name issue/settlement and the future protests that would result. NDSU did not want it to be part of the game either.

AmsterBison
August 22nd, 2014, 11:19 AM
Yah that never happens from your ultra-intelligent fanbase. Yes it is the reason why. Neither school wanted it to be part of the game because of the name issue/settlement and the future protests that would result. NDSU did not want it to be part of the game either.

I'm fuzzy on what you are saying other than that the NDSU fanbase is not very bright.

Are you saying that the Nickel Trophy not up for grabs because UND is worried about protests over the Nickel Trophy? That's odd because not once in the 40+ years the Sioux-nickname controversy has raged on have I ever heard anybody complaining about the Nickel Trophy.

And about your logic... if the trophy is offensive, then why is UND going to be displaying it in a trophy case?

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 11:22 AM
I'm fuzzy on what you are saying (other than that the NDSU fanbase is stupid via use of irony.) Are you saying that the Nickel Trophy not up for grabs because you are worried about protests over the Nickel Trophy? Not once in the 40+ years that controversy has raged on have I ever heard anybody complaining about the Nickel Trophy.

And about your logic... if the trophy is offensive, then why is UND going to be displaying it in a trophy case?

Worry less about UND and their displaying options and more about why NDSU didn't want it to be a part of the game. Focusing on the wrong issue. Nobody wants to stir up the protestor's. That would do it.

deez_na
August 22nd, 2014, 11:27 AM
I'm sure UND doesn't want to have the trophy part of it cause they want to hang on to it.

AmsterBison
August 22nd, 2014, 11:33 AM
Worry less about UND and their displaying options and more about why NDSU didn't want it to be a part of the game. Focusing on the wrong issue. Nobody wants to stir up the protestor's. That would do it.

So now you are saying that UND is perfectly fine with playing for the trophy but NDSU is not? Really? It's amazing the contortions you are going through to avoid confronting the truth.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/updated-und-ndsu-wont-play-nickel-trophy-renewed-rivalry

Faison said that NDSU officials are aware that the Nickel Trophy won’t be on the line next season.

You read that and think, "NDSU said that they don't want to play for the trophy?" Then you say that playing for the trophy will stir up protesters but keeping it on display will not. ORLY?

You have not provided one lick of evidence to support your contention that playing for the Nickel Trophy will cause protests or that NDSU is concerned about that possibility.

Kabooom
August 22nd, 2014, 11:50 AM
Hey...I'm heading up to the Concession Counter to get some Chocolate Covered Raisins and a Coke...... You Guys want Anything??xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2014, 12:07 PM
So now you are saying that UND is perfectly fine with playing for the trophy but NDSU is not? Really? It's amazing the contortions you are going through to avoid confronting the truth.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/updated-und-ndsu-wont-play-nickel-trophy-renewed-rivalry

You read that and think, "NDSU said that they don't want to play for the trophy?" Then you say that playing for the trophy will stir up protesters but keeping it on display will not. ORLY?

You have not provided one lick of evidence to support your contention that playing for the Nickel Trophy will cause protests or that NDSU is concerned about that possibility.

Isn't the Nickel under the Blue Key? I wonder how their agreement goes.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Hey...I'm heading up to the Concession Counter to get some Chocolate Covered Raisins and a Coke...... You Guys want Anything??xlolx

Grab me a box of DOTS and a root beer... xlolx

nodak651
August 22nd, 2014, 01:02 PM
Because the number of posts I have on AGS = my level of interest in FCS football? I stay on SS to avoid bison trolls, although they make their way over there as well. Most arrogant fan base in collegiate athletics.

Bisonator
August 22nd, 2014, 01:03 PM
I would hope NDSU's Blue Key pushes for the Nickel to be placed in the state museum in Bismarck. If it's not going to be played for anymore neither school should be allowed to keep it.

Drblankstare
August 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM

No thanks im good for right now, I'll wait until hair pulling, crying and name calling start. This is just the previews :D

nodak651
August 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM
Would have preferred to face NDSU in the playoffs, whenever that may be. Two games in Fargo is an embarrassment.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
Would have preferred to face NDSU in the playoffs, whenever that may be. Two games in Fargo is an embarrassment.

especially since a return trip is "off the table"

Might make you rethink your conference affiliation.

nodak651
August 22nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
especially since a return trip is "off the table"

Might make you rethink your conference affiliation.

I don't mind the Big Sky, because it allows us to get the Dakota schools in to our buildings for quality non-conference games in other sports. I'm kinda indifferent between the Big Sky and Summit/MVFC - both are meh.

NDSUstudent
August 22nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
Because the number of posts I have on AGS = my level of interest in FCS football? I stay on SS to avoid bison trolls, although they make their way over there as well. Most arrogant fan base in collegiate athletics.

I still reserve that for the Gophers.

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 02:37 PM

Takes a douche to know a douche. :)

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
You aren't hosting a FBS school. You can travel for your OOC road game. This game won't travel back to Grand Forks.

Okay, would you rather have a road K-State game or a home out of conference game that brings in less money? That was my point.

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 02:48 PM

Might be time to refer to Amster's field guide.

u can usually spot a Sioux fan from a long distance because no self-respecting Bison fan is going to walk around in a mint green sweatshirt with a white turtleneck underneath it. Goat cheese and Volvos are also telltale signs of their presence. Do not approach them, although slow of wit and nearsighted, their sense of superiority is very acute and they could easily bore you to death. The average Sioux fan is pretty good-natured about the rivalry and when confronted with a Bison fan, is likely to lean back, give a chuckle, and say something like "If you want to work on a farm, go to NDSU. If you want to own the farm, go to UND." Since it's impossible to argue with something like that, a Bison fan might respond with something like, "Hey, that's a nice sweatshirt-turtleneck combo you've got there, Skipp or Tadd or Chipp or whatever you said your name was; do they have a men's department where you bought it?" Of course this works better if the Sioux fan is a male who hasn't seen "Footloose", but you get the idea.

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 02:59 PM
UND buyout is $250,000
NDSU $125,000 first game and $140,000 for second

BisonBacker
August 22nd, 2014, 03:03 PM

Popcorn and a coke for me....and I'm enjoying the hell out of this little debate with the mentally challenged Sioux poster. He even neg repped me cuz he didn't like my comment about them not being any better than DII competition.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 22nd, 2014, 03:29 PM
Now thats just dumb. To want to continue the series but not put up the rivalry's symbolic coin is BS. The Coin should be up for grabs for every meeting, just like the musket is for UNH and Maine.

Yep, if it isn't up for grabs then any meaning it had is gone. There are a lot of things that could be done for this small problem but what UND is doing here is just plain chicken ****.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 03:40 PM
Yep, if it isn't up for grabs then any meaning it had is gone. There are a lot of things that could be done for this small problem but what UND is doing here is just plain chicken ****.

Once again, it has a Indian head on it. What do you think is going to happen once it's stated that they are playing for the nickel after ALL that has happened with UND and the NA Civil Rights Groups? You don't live here so you don't know.

Both sides know better and do not even want to try and tempt them.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 03:41 PM
For the record, I could not care less what they do with that thing. Put it in a museum, whatever. Who cares just put it away somewhere.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2014, 03:49 PM
Popcorn and a coke for me....and I'm enjoying the hell out of this little debate with the mentally challenged Sioux poster. He even neg repped me cuz he didn't like my comment about them not being any better than DII competition.

Think I repped the wrong Bison guy...my bad. xdrunkyx

aces1180
August 22nd, 2014, 03:51 PM
Once again, it has a Indian head on it. What do you think is going to happen once it's stated that they are playing for the nickel after ALL that has happened with UND and the NA Civil Rights Groups? You don't live here so you don't know.

But yet UN_ is going to display it? Yeah, that seems legit, lol.

#buttchicken****

nodak651
August 22nd, 2014, 03:55 PM

#buttchicken****

Settle down. You guys don't care about it any more, remember?

aces1180
August 22nd, 2014, 03:58 PM

I never said that...I've been a Bison fan and a UN_ hater since age 6 (that's 28 years), so that trophy means a lot to me. I loved being able to sit in the Union and see that thing while a student.

Gil Dobie
August 22nd, 2014, 03:59 PM

Neither did UN_ care, refusing to play a four year home and home to continue a consecutive rivalry.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 22nd, 2014, 04:03 PM

Half my f'n family is there so get over yourself big boy...breathe and all that.

It's bs that the thing isn't put in some archive as a previous incarnation of the trophy and a new incarnation of the same trophy with UND on one side and NDSU on the other. Same lineage of the trophy just an eye wash is all that is needed to carry on the tradition.

Hell let's take real coinage as an example. You ever see a quarter or even a nickel come out that is slightly different than it's original concept? It's still a quarter/nickel and has the same value as the other incarnations. That's the point tiger. But I'm sure your residency gives some extra benefit in figuring this out I concede to your wisdom on the matter.

It isn't bs correct?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 22nd, 2014, 04:04 PM

#buttchicken****

exactly.

Green1
August 22nd, 2014, 04:08 PM

Why don't you look back a few posts and realize that fans of other schools (not NDSU) pointed out the ridiculous nature of the use of the trophy by un_.

nodak651
August 22nd, 2014, 04:35 PM
Why don't you look back a few posts and realize that fans of other schools (not NDSU) pointed out the ridiculous nature of the use of the trophy by un_.

I agree that they should play for it... It's just funny, because I've read dozens of times about how the nickel doesn't mean anything anymore. Perhaps they should create a new trophy for the D1 era. What could it be?

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2014, 04:37 PM
I agree that they should play for it... It's just funny, because I've read dozens of times about how the nickel doesn't mean anything anymore. Perhaps they should create a new trophy for the D1 era. What could it be?

How about a 2 game contract for below market? That's about all you're ever going to get.

nodak651
August 22nd, 2014, 04:45 PM
How about a 2 game contract for below market? That's about all you're ever going to get.

Times change. Keep trolling - it makes your whole fan base look like ****.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2014, 04:46 PM

to whom? You guys, the racists?

Lehigh'98
August 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM
This game will definitely help legitimize North Dakota, especially with in state recruiting. If ND picks up a few more wins and can compete against ur almighty Bisonand NDSU gets a few losses, recruits will see both schools as on similar levels. Lafayette would be D3 without Lehigh, you can see with them how important a good rivalry is to keep your school competitive.

Green1
August 22nd, 2014, 04:54 PM

Works for both fan bases! xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2014, 08:05 PM

Trolling?

That is about all you have done with your amazing 13 posts here....xasswhipx

Bisonator
August 22nd, 2014, 09:06 PM
First off I don't see how the NCAA or NA groups can complain about it since it's a replica of US currency. Are we going to erase history too? But if it's no longer going to be played for it needs to be put in Bismarck at the Heritage Center or someplace. It's a historical piece that should be on display for all to see. Wouldn't be fair for either school or past players if it's kept on one campus.

I say no new trophy until UN_ gets a new nickname. Would look stupid with UND on one side and NDSU or a Bison on the other.

Yotes
August 22nd, 2014, 10:04 PM
I can't believe UND actually accepted those terms. One game in Fargo with no return? Maybe I could see that...BUT TWO?! Way to officially admit that your rival is out of your league UND. They would have been far better off begging to join the MVFC, would have saved a lot of face. Only way this doesn't turn out to be a complete and utter disaster is if UND actually wins a game in Fargo (good frickin' luck).

melloware13
August 22nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
This sounds like the contract for the Route 1 "Rivalry" (still no game in Dover, all appearances have series ending after this season). At least the North Dakota one has a history, rather than being the dream of some washed out journalist.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 10:50 PM
The thing with the Nickel has nothing to do with the Sioux head.

It makes me think of when texas state went FBS and when they got to their last game with Nicholls state for the paddle, Nicholls refused to bring it because they were afraid of losing it

It's pure pussified bull****. Man up UND

ursus arctos horribilis
August 22nd, 2014, 11:27 PM
The thing with the Nickel has nothing to do with the Sioux head.

It makes me think of when texas state went FBS and when they got to their last game with Nicholls state for the paddle, Nicholls refused to bring it because they were afraid of losing it

It's pure pussified bull****. Man up UND

Another bingo as to what it's really about. Nicholls, man I remember that and what a poor move that was. I'd rather lose the thing than retain it like that.

Even when Idaho went FBS we still played for the Little Brown Stein and we let them have one year of FBS (field goal last minute) but then took it away and kept it over the next four meetings and still retain it until they play us again...but I guarandamntee it will be on the block when it happens.

I rue the day we would pull something that gutless. I really do hope that this isn't UND's official stance going forward cuz it would suck badly.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2014, 11:28 PM
Trolling?

That is about all you have done with your amazing 13 posts here....xasswhipx

Personally I thought it was pretty funny.

Thumper 76
August 23rd, 2014, 02:26 AM
I can't believe UND actually accepted those terms. One game in Fargo with no return? Maybe I could see that...BUT TWO?! Way to officially admit that your rival is out of your league UND. They would have been far better off begging to join the MVFC, would have saved a lot of face. Only way this doesn't turn out to be a complete and utter disaster is if UND actually wins a game in Fargo (good frickin' luck).

If the Yotes hadnt made it into the Valley then you would have been in the same boat.

No_Skill
August 23rd, 2014, 07:28 AM
After we win next year maybe und can just write up an I.O.U. for 5¢. In fact, that might a good sign idea for the game.

SactoHornetFan
August 23rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
It won't directly, but propping up your main/local "competitor" will not pay dividends down the road is the argument most will make in this regard.

You know what, you're attitude is what is wrong about college athletics. You're supposed to be playing your arch rival, not making money. Your attitude is the same as those jackasses at Alabama, aTm, etc.

This whole college athletics needs to be a business has gotten away from what it's purpose is supposed to be and YOU and your ilk are part of the problem, not the solution!!

semobison
August 23rd, 2014, 11:58 AM

Great post Yotes! Sometimes it takes an outsider to see thing clearly through the ****!

centennial
August 23rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
You know what, you're attitude is what is wrong about college athletics. You're supposed to be playing your arch rival, not making money. Your attitude is the same as those jackasses at Alabama, aTm, etc.

This whole college athletics needs to be a business has gotten away from what it's purpose is supposed to be and YOU and your ilk are part of the problem, not the solution!!
We would rather play a strong team. It helps our SOS. FBS games give us significant media time. UND game won't be covered nationally and might force us down the road to sacrifice FBS either/ or 6 home games.
Saying all that. This is not a bad deal for NDSU. We threw out really bull**** terms so that UND would NOT take them. And they took them anyway. More than us, UND admin looks at it as a "prop up". Otherwise, why would they get humiliated in front of the state of ND and the fans/alumni?

MarkyMark
August 23rd, 2014, 12:52 PM

The terms of this deal in favoring NDSU are incredible. It just shows how much UND wanted this game to take such a low offer and how much NDSU (or Taylor) really didn't want to play this game for them to offer such a lousy deal for UND.

Now I am curious to see just how much NDSU can make off this game in terms of increased ticket prices, sponsorships and TV rights. We could easily surpass the payout from playing an FBS opponent if NDSU really tries to maximize their profit from these 2 home games against UND.

BisonBacker
August 23rd, 2014, 01:35 PM

While you have a point about college athletics being about money NDSU is doing what everyone else is doing or would if they could. You have a product people follow, people want that product and you sell it for maximum profit. On top of that while you may not like it college athletics is a business. Not saying I like it but getting mad at one fan and "your ilk" you may as well say you are pissed off at about 80 to 90% of fans who follow college sports. Not saying it should be that way but NDSU didn't start the move in that direction. It's been going there for years. Here let me put it another way. Why don't you go to the Sac State AD and athletic department and tell them that access to all Sac State games should be free since after all it's not supposed to be a business it's supposed to be about "The sport" period not business. The attitude you have is not realistic in the modern era of not only college athletics but sports in general starting at the youth level all the way up to Pro sports. You are not very realistic. Wish things were different but it's not our ilk that created this it's society in general and what they place value in. It just so happens that NDSU is at the top of the heap at the FCS level. You may not like that but that's another topic.

SUPharmacist
August 23rd, 2014, 01:37 PM

I don't think it's just the money side of things. I think it is a rivalry where some would rather see the other school fail so completely that they become only a footnote in history. Now neither side will ever see that happen, and it is best for the region if both schools succeed academically and athletically, but where is the fun in that.

BisonBacker
August 23rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
The terms of this deal in favoring NDSU are incredible. It just shows how much UND wanted this game to take such a low offer and how much NDSU (or Taylor) really didn't want to play this game for them to offer such a lousy deal for UND.

Now I am curious to see just how much NDSU can make off this game in terms of increased ticket prices, sponsorships and TV rights. We could easily surpass the payout from playing an FBS opponent if NDSU really tries to maximize their profit from these 2 home games against UND.

Dream on that isn't going to happen and it won't even be close.

MarkyMark
August 23rd, 2014, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=BisonBacker;2131613]Dream on that isn't going to happen and it won't even be close.[/QUOTE

You really don't think NDSU could make more off this home game than going on the road to play FBS?

Profit from FBS game would be around 300K maybe 400K tops after expenses.

Home game 15,000 tickets at average of $50 = $750K - 125K = 625K + sponsorship and media rights - other expense. I don't know all the figures but this should be a nice cash bonanza for NDSU.

bisonnation
August 23rd, 2014, 02:08 PM
So if the nickel trophy is so racist, why is it based on a real American coin that existed through 1938 and has been reminted as a collector?

http://www.dsscoinandbullion.com/dka/imageScroller/images/scroller/buffalo.jpg

Now to the game.

This is a win win for ndsu and it's fans. We get to replace 2 cupcake games vs a team we will take great pleasure in beating with no return game.

Lost in this is ENTERTAINMENT! Sorry but nobody can convince me we won't enjoy the game. My season tickets just got a little more valuable

The only way to "legitimize UN_" is if we lose. UND is D1 and they play other D1 teams.If we lose we will have obviously lost some swagger and we wouldn't have been a contender anyways.

UND will be up for this game so the coaches better prep well. In the event we lose, they will probably be looking for new jobs. Fans won't put up with it.

BisonBacker
August 23rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=BisonBacker;2131613]Dream on that isn't going to happen and it won't even be close.[/QUOTE

You really don't think NDSU could make more off this home game than going on the road to play FBS?

Profit from FBS game would be around 300K maybe 400K tops after expenses.

Home game 15,000 tickets at average of $50 = $750K - 125K = 625K + sponsorship and media rights - other expense. I don't know all the figures but this should be a nice cash bonanza for NDSU.

That is not correct. Also the numbers you are throwing out for the 15,000 tickets is wrong also. The number of season tickets already sold is 12k. Now add in the additional 4k for students that leaves you 3k tickets that are available to be sold. There are also tickets that go to players and their families plus staff ect I'd say you are lucky if you have 2500 tickets that you may be able to up charge for. The numbers you throw out are bogus.

Bisonator
August 23rd, 2014, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=MarkyMark;2131617]

That is not correct. Also the numbers you are throwing out for the 15,000 tickets is wrong also. The number of season tickets already sold is 12k. Now add in the additional 4k for students that leaves you 3k tickets that are available to be sold. There are also tickets that go to players and their families plus staff ect I'd say you are lucky if you have 2500 tickets that you may be able to up charge for. The numbers you throw out are bogus.

I don't know what the actual numbers are but I know NDSU makes more off home games then the $350k they are getting from ISU this year. Maybe not the Iowa payout of $500k but might be close. Of course this doesn't take into account the exposure from the FBS games which is tough to put a number on.

tjamz
August 23rd, 2014, 03:03 PM

This is football baby!
Easy. The media wants this game because it will be a gold mine for them. NDSU fans will break out their old shirts making fun of the old mascot (not the Sioux people), und fans show up wearing the old Sioux gear, UND fans will start a "F#ck the Bison chant", NDSU fans will start with the "Sioux Suck *****" chant and sing "on the plains" and the news paper will report how racially insensitive Bison fans are. I've said it on many occasions, there is no upside for NDSU and I really wish they would have left UND to die a slow death instead of breathing new life into their program artificially. I'd rather play Ferris state or Robert Morris every year.

AmsterBison
August 23rd, 2014, 03:09 PM

Actually, I think MarkyMark is right. He is comparing a Bison home game to a BCS away game and, obviously, NDSU can't sell any tickets to the BCS game. He's also right that there would indeed be about 15000 tickets to sell. On the other hand, you make a good point: No matter who NDSU plays, it is going to be a sell-out so the value of UND over any other team willing to take a guarantee is, as an example,

UND Net - Incarnate Word Net = $365k
UND Net = Gate ($750k) - Guarantee ($125k) = $625k
Incarnate Word Net = Gate ($450k) - Guarantee ($190k) = $260k

Even if there is no difference in media contracts or sponsorships (which there probably will not be), NDSU is going to make $365k more than the normal non-return, non-conference home game. And NDSU will also make more than they've ever gotten from a BCS team because, so far, the biggest guarantee NDSU has gotten is $375k.

Bottom line: NDSU is going to make a truckload of money off this deal and NDSU's AD absolutely put the screws to UND. Check this article out: http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-ndsu-rivalry-timeline-how-rivalry-ended-and-started-again

In February, NDSU's AD offered the same deal except that he was offering bigger guarantees ($190k each), but UND didn't take the deal.
In May, NDSU's AD offered a one-game deal for $125k, and UND didn't take that deal either.
In July, NDSU's AD countered with the current deal. A month later UND took it.

In the past, UND has sat on offers for months (and sometimes over a year.) NDSU's AD clearly learned his lesson from that pattern of behavior and applied it as follows: If UND's people don't take a deal in a reasonable period, then offer them a worse one. If they don't take that deal in a reasonable period, offer them an even worse deal. Et cetera.

If UND hadn't taken this deal, I got the feeling that they'd be playing two games in Fargo for $75 in Olive Garden gift certificates.

BisonBacker
August 23rd, 2014, 04:48 PM
Nice try but you aren't going to be able to up charge the tickets as 12K are already season ticket holders. 4K go to the students. So how do you come up with 15k tickets at 50.00 a pop?

Gil Dobie
August 23rd, 2014, 05:16 PM
This game will definitely help legitimize North Dakota, especially with in state recruiting. If ND picks up a few more wins and can compete against ur almighty Bisonand NDSU gets a few losses, recruits will see both schools as on similar levels. Lafayette would be D3 without Lehigh, you can see with them how important a good rivalry is to keep your school competitive.

Since the Fargodome was built in 1993, UND is 4-1 at NDSU. 8 games have been played in Grand Forks during that time. About time to even things out here.

Bisonator
August 23rd, 2014, 05:40 PM
Nice try but you aren't going to be able to up charge the tickets as 12K are already season ticket holders. 4K go to the students. So how do you come up with 15k tickets at 50.00 a pop?

Tickets are $25-45 so figure $35 average = $525k plus concessions and ad revenue is conservatively $750k - $1m.

Yotes
August 23rd, 2014, 06:55 PM
If the Yotes hadnt made it into the Valley then you would have been in the same boat.
If we had joined the Big Sky I would have been just fine never playing State again. The complete and utter bitterness that comes from the in-state Dakota rivalries is sick, not at all worth going out of the way to revive.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2014, 07:12 PM
Easy. The media wants this game because it will be a gold mine for them. NDSU fans will break out their old shirts making fun of the old mascot (not the Sioux people), und fans show up wearing the old Sioux gear, UND fans will start a "F#ck the Bison chant", NDSU fans will start with the "Sioux Suck *****" chant and sing "on the plains" and the news paper will report how racially insensitive Bison fans are. I've said it on many occasions, there is no upside for NDSU and I really wish they would have left UND to die a slow death instead of breathing new life into their program artificially. I'd rather play Ferris state or Robert Morris every year.

You sound like your buddy lakes.

To you doom/gloomers, how are we 'breathing new life' into their program. The only place they have to go is up after Mussman. I was on the fence with game but now it is why not. Beat them down and have bragging rights for the next 4 years.

The upside is we get two home games filled. It is hard enough trying to get teams to come to Fargo so why not bring in a team 70 miles away. If we ever decide to go to GF, I'm sure the AD will never sacrifice a home game for it. Go there when the schedule allows 12 games and we still can have a FBS game plus 6 home games.....maybe even a 7th home game if we do not go to GF.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 23rd, 2014, 07:52 PM

Why can;'t it be done? It's done every year at UM. My App ticket was over $50 and my HC and MSU tickets have been over $50 for about 15 yrs. I believe. Season ticket prices change so it sure can be done.

Gothmog
August 23rd, 2014, 10:07 PM
Actually, I think MarkyMark is right. He is comparing a Bison home game to a BCS away game and, obviously, NDSU can't sell any tickets to the BCS game. He's also right that there would indeed be about 15000 tickets to sell. On the other hand, you make a good point: No matter who NDSU plays, it is going to be a sell-out so the value of UND over any other team willing to take a guarantee is, as an example,

UND Net - Incarnate Word Net = $365k
UND Net = Gate ($750k) - Guarantee ($125k) = $625k
Incarnate Word Net = Gate ($450k) - Guarantee ($190k) = $260k

Even if there is no difference in media contracts or sponsorships (which there probably will not be), NDSU is going to make $365k more than the normal non-return, non-conference home game. And NDSU will also make more than they've ever gotten from a BCS team because, so far, the biggest guarantee NDSU has gotten is $375k.

Bottom line: NDSU is going to make a truckload of money off this deal and NDSU's AD absolutely put the screws to UND. Check this article out: http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-ndsu-rivalry-timeline-how-rivalry-ended-and-started-again

In February, NDSU's AD offered the same deal except that he was offering bigger guarantees ($190k each), but UND didn't take the deal.
In May, NDSU's AD offered a one-game deal for $125k, and UND didn't take that deal either.
In July, NDSU's AD countered with the current deal. A month later UND took it.

In the past, UND has sat on offers for months (and sometimes over a year.) NDSU's AD clearly learned his lesson from that pattern of behavior and applied it as follows: If UND's people don't take a deal in a reasonable period, then offer them a worse one. If they don't take that deal in a reasonable period, offer them an even worse deal. Et cetera.

If UND hadn't taken this deal, I got the feeling that they'd be playing two games in Fargo for $75 in Olive Garden gift certificates.

There's no basis for the $750K estimated gate. NDSU is not going to make a "truckload" of money off this game.
Financially, this game is only marginally better for NDSU than Incarnate Word, and only because UND is willing to play for such a small guarantee.

NDSU won't get a dollar more in gate because UND is on the schedule.

Gothmog
August 23rd, 2014, 10:26 PM
Why can;'t it be done? It's done every year at UM. My App ticket was over $50 and my HC and MSU tickets have been over $50 for about 15 yrs. I believe. Season ticket prices change so it sure can be done.

Here's the problem with your logic. With a complete sellout and a large waiting list, NDSU could already have increased prices without UND on the schedule. It only makes sense to attribute a potential increase in ticket prices to UND being back on the schedule if increased demand for THAT game is what really allowed NDSU to increase prices. IMO, that would be false.

It's what NDSU has accomplished while UND has been off their schedule that caused the increase in demand for tickets which could potentially allow them to increase prices, not UND's reappearance on their schedule.

Bisonoline
August 23rd, 2014, 10:38 PM
Here's the problem with your logic. With a complete sellout and a large waiting list, NDSU could already increase prices without UND on schedule. It's only makes sense to attribute a potential increase in ticket prices to UND being back on the schedule if increased demand for THAT game is what really allowed NDSU to increase prices. IMO, that would be false.

It's what NDSU has accomplished while UND has been off their schedule that caused the increase in demand for tickets which could potentially allow them to increase prices, not UND's reappearance on their schedule.

What you say is true. BUT that doesnt mean NDSU couldnt raise ticket prices to UND and our fan base for this game. Its called demand based pricing regardless if you sell out or not. If you look at your season tickets each game has a different price on them.

Gothmog
August 23rd, 2014, 10:49 PM
What you say is true. BUT that doesnt mean NDSU couldnt raise ticket prices to UND and our fan base for this game. Its called demand based pricing regardless if you sell out or not. If you look at your season tickets each game has a different price on them.

Sure, they could do that. But that would only be using the UND game as an excuse to do what they could have done anyway, with the SDSU game for instance. Besides, total ticket revenue is all that really matters anyway. What difference does it make to them what the face value of each game's ticket is? They sell 80% of their non-student tickets as part of a season-ticket package anyway.

The bottom-line is that, if all games will sell out anyway, there is no difference (apart from rounding) between adding $40 to the price of one game versus adding $6.67 each to the price of 6 games.

tjamz
August 23rd, 2014, 11:44 PM
You sound like your buddy lakes.

To you doom/gloomers, how are we 'breathing new life' into their program. The only place they have to go is up after Mussman. I was on the fence with game but now it is why not. Beat them down and have bragging rights for the next 4 years.

The upside is we get two home games filled. It is hard enough trying to get teams to come to Fargo so why not bring in a team 70 miles away. If we ever decide to go to GF, I'm sure the AD will never sacrifice a home game for it. Go there when the schedule allows 12 games and we still can have a FBS game plus 6 home games.....maybe even a 7th home game if we do not go to GF.
Lakes is a personal friend. No doubt. I don't agree with everything he says but I do think we legitimize them by playing them.I also think the forum/Herald ate looking for ways to crucify us as a whole. I truly believe playing them gives the media that opportunity (deserved or not).

Hammersmith
August 24th, 2014, 12:10 AM
But add up all those face values. Do they equal the price of the season ticket? No they don't. So there's not a direct connection between the face value of the ticket and the amount of money raised by a season ticket for that particular game.

Here's a question. If NDSU raises the price for a season ticket next year, do you believe NDSU will lower the price the following year(assuming 6 home games both years)? If it's truly just the UND game driving the price up, then the price would have to go down the following year when the game is no longer on the schedule. If the price does not drop(or gets raised even further), then it's the overall demand for tickets driving the price up, and the UND game is just an excuse.

However, you may be right and face values and season ticket prices might be linked. Both sideline and end zone tickets are very close to being 80% of the sum of the face values. If that was deliberate and is consistent from year to year, then you can calculate how much more a UND game is worth over a standard cupcake like IW. The formula looks like this:

($increase x 12,000 x 0.8) + ($increase x approx. 2500 max)

So if NDSU were to charge $50 for a sideline UND ticket($5 more than Montana this year and $15 more than IW), than the money beyond IW would be:
($15 x 12,000 x 0.8) + ($15 x 2500) = ($144,000) + ($37,500) = $181,500

And if we factor in the difference in guarantee money... (I'm assuming Amster's figure of $190k for IW is correct)

$181,500 + $65,000 = $246,500 more in revenue over IW. (at $50)

Variables that could change that figure:
- greater or lesser difference in ticket price between UND and cheapest game
- 80% single/season $ ratio not being a constant
- total number of single game tickets being different than 2500
- price difference between sidelines and end zones not a constant

Who says you don't use algebra in real life.

Gothmog
August 24th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Lakes is a personal friend. No doubt. I don't agree with everything he says but I do think we legitimize them by playing them. I also think the forum/Herald ate looking for ways to crucify us as a whole. I truly believe playing them gives the media that opportunity (deserved or not).

Agreed, we have spent 11 years putting distance between ourselves and our not-very-friendly neighbors to the north. IMO, after taking all the risk and doing all the work, it makes little sense to let them share the stage we built despite their active interference.

For NDSU, there is nothing good that can come of this game. It only serves to build up a rival program. That might very well come back to bite us. UND's football program is down now. I'd prefer that they stay there.

Gothmog
August 24th, 2014, 12:32 AM
But add up all those face values. Do they equal the price of the season ticket? No they don't. So there's not a direct connection between the face value of the ticket and the amount of money raised by a season ticket for that particular game.

Here's a question. If NDSU raises the price for a season ticket next year, do you believe NDSU will lower the price the following year(assuming 6 home games both years)? If it's truly just the UND game driving the price up, then the price would have to go down the following year when the game is no longer on the schedule. If the price does not drop(or gets raised even further), then it's the overall demand for tickets driving the price up, and the UND game is just an excuse.

However, you may be right and face values and season ticket prices might be linked. Both sideline and end zone tickets are very close to being 80% of the sum of the face values. If that was deliberate and is consistent from year to year, then you can calculate how much more a UND game is worth over a standard cupcake like IW. The formula looks like this:

So if NDSU were to charge $50 for a sideline UND ticket($5 more than Montana this year and $15 more than IW), than the money beyond IW would be:

And if we factor in the difference in guarantee money... (I'm assuming Amster's figure of $190k for IW is correct)

The point is that, as long as each scenario will result in a sold out season, no matter how you structure any "demand" or "premium" pricing scheme, it is equivalent to simply taking the total increase in yearly revenue, no matter what its components might be, and dividing it equally over 6 games. 80% of the non-student tickets are sold as one price for the entire year anyway. At least for those ticketholders, the face value of a ticket is irrelevant.

Bisonoline
August 24th, 2014, 12:38 AM

Im glad you remembered how to use it. LOL
The thing is NDSU is looking for ways to maximize seat revenue. So they will set a bottom line for a ticket price. And use the bigger names to charge more. Its a form of demand based pricing even though we sell out every game as it is. Even though it doesnt seem like small increases dont make much money ----nickles and dimes turn in to dollars. Plus with enough small increases they get where they want to be without sounding the alarm.

Gothmog
August 24th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Im glad you remembered how to use it. LOL
The thing is NDSU is looking for ways to maximize seat revenue. So they will set a bottom line for a ticket price. And use the bigger names to charge more. Its a form of demand based pricing even though we sell out every game as it is. Even though it doesnt seem like small increases dont make much money ----nickles and dimes turn in to dollars. Plus with enough small increases they get where they want to be without sounding the alarm.

That's just not the way it works. NDSU's football program is in the business of selling season tickets and encouraging donations, not selling single game tickets. As long as the season ticketholder cannot elect to purchase less than all home games, the nominal face value of each game's ticket is irrelevant to their purchase decision.

Single game tickets are admittedly different, but charging more for single game tickets to the UND game not only seems to refute what NDSU officials have said about it being just another game, but it also seems likely to result in more UND fans being able to buy tickets to the game as some Bison fans, who might otherwise have purchased and used single game tickets, will not at the higher price.

Given the demand for NDSU football tickets with, and without, UND on the schedule. Premium or demand-based pricing such as you are suggesting seems to be inappropriate in this situation. It won't result in more revenue for NDSU and it will make it appear that NDSU views this game as more important than other games, the Dakota Marker game for instance.

IMO, there's no chance NDSU will do anything of the kind. This is, as far as NDSU is concerned, just another game.

Bisonoline
August 24th, 2014, 01:41 AM
That's just not the way it works. NDSU's football program is in the business of selling season tickets and encouraging donations, not selling single game tickets. As long as the season ticketholder cannot elect to purchase less than all home games, the nominal face value of each game's ticket is irrelevant to their purchase decision.

What do you mean thats not the way it works. They are in the business of generating revenue. If they package it differently to gain more revenue thats what they will do.

Single game tickets are admittedly different, but charging more for single game tickets to the UND game not only seems to refute what NDSU officials have said about it being just another game, but it also seems likely to result in more UND fans being able to buy tickets to the game as some Bison fans, who might otherwise have purchased and used single game tickets, will not at the higher price.

Do even try to use that sound bite BS about just another game. It doesnt wash in this case. UND fans are more likely to get tickets? Where did you pull that out from? They wont pay for a single game ticket at a higher price? Did you really say that????

Given the demand for NDSU football tickets with, and without, UND on the schedule. Premium or demand-based pricing such as you are suggesting seems to be inappropriate in this situation. It won't result in more revenue for NDSU and it will make it appear that NDSU views this game as more important than other games, the Dakota Marker game for instance.

I said its a form of demand based pricing even though we sell out. Do I have to explain the premise to you?--You charge more for certain games to increase revenue. Got it?

IMO, there's no chance NDSU will do anything of the kind. This is, as far as NDSU is concerned, just another game.

Your premise is wrong because its based on a meaningless sound bite. Which applies to most of your post as well.

Why do I feel like you are lakes buddy kable1

But the fact is you are trying to argue an idiotic point in how the price increased is packaged. If you feel better that the cost is spread out over 6 games comes to X as opposed to raising the one game price is also X then be my guest.

FYI the tickets this year all had different prices on them. So in the future NDSU can and will charge different prices depending on who the opponent is. There fore if they increase prices for certain game they can in fact increase revenue. It makes NO difference if the individual game price has any bearing on the the season ticket holders decision to purchase the tickets. Its a way of increasing revenue regardless of they way YOU want to quantify it.

Gothmog
August 24th, 2014, 01:55 AM

What do you mean thats not the way it works. They are in the business of generating revenue. If they package it differently to gain more revenue thats what they will do.

You're not getting the point. It won't result in more revenue than NDSU could have gotten by simply either raising the price of all tickets by 1/6 of the premium on tickets for the UND game, or simply declaring another game a "premium" game. Demand for NDSU tickets is currently high enough that they could have done either without UND on the schedule.

Do even try to use that sound bite BS about just another game. It doesnt wash in this case. UND fans are more likely to get tickets? Where did you pull that out from? They wont pay for a single game ticket at a higher price? Did you really say that????

It seems to certainly be true that, at least some, Bison fans who might otherwise have bought single game tickets would not at a higher price. that's just basic economic. There ought to be nothing controversial about that. Fewer Bison fans buying single game tickets would create more opportunities for UND fans to buy those same tickets. Again, nothing controversial about that..

I said its a form of demand based pricing even though we sell out. Do I have to explain the premise to you?--You charge more for certain games to increase revenue. Got it?

Again, the price for an individual game is irrelevant to a season ticketholder who writes one check for all games anyway.

Your premise is wrong because its based on a meaningless sound bite. Which applies to most of your post as well.

Call it a sound bite if you want. It seems apparent that NDSU does not want this to be viewed as anything more than another OOC game.

Bisonoline
August 24th, 2014, 02:18 AM

You're not getting the point. It won't result in more revenue than NDSU could have gotten by simply either raising the price of all tickets by 1/6 of the premium on tickets for the UND game, or simply declaring another game a "premium" game. Demand for NDSU tickets is currently high enough that they could have done either without UND on the schedule.

It seems to certainly be true that, at least some, Bison fans who might otherwise have bought single game tickets would not at a higher price. that's just basic economic. There ought to be nothing controversial about that. Fewer Bison fans buying single game tickets would create more opportunities for UND fans to buy those same tickets. Again, nothing controversial about that..

Again, the price for an individual game is irrelevant to a season ticketholder who writes one check for all games anyway.

Call it a sound bite if you want. It seems apparent that NDSU does not want this to be viewed as anything more than another OOC game.

What are you a parrott? You seem to think if you repeat the same thing over it will become fact? Bottom line is---if they increase the UND games ticket price it will increase revenue regardless if its season tickets or single game.

Gothmog
August 24th, 2014, 02:23 AM
What are you a parrott? You seem to think if you repeat the same thing over it will become fact? Bottom line is---if they increase the UND games ticket price it will increase revenue regardless if its season tickets or single game.

I disagree. And you seem to be parroting what, I think, is an incorrect view of the situation yourself.

Bisonoline
August 24th, 2014, 02:35 AM
I disagree. And you seem to be parroting what, I think, is an incorrect view of the situation yourself.

More revenue is more revenue regardless in how its packaged. Doesnt make any difference what they could do now with out UND. All the bs you bring up just muddies the water. The bottom line is what it is, regardless of how it gets there. Yes I repeated that. Your repeated comments about the lack of importance of the game also will have no bearing in the final marketing of this game. Not to mention fan interest will be exceedingly high. All the sound bites wont change that. Time will tell. Watch and learn.

Lehigh'98
August 24th, 2014, 06:10 AM
I have never seen a fanbase so wrapped up in the economics of a school. Sounds like some of you may get more jacked up sitting in the back of an Accounting 200 Course than at a bitter in state football rivalry.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Agreed, we have spent 11 years putting distance between ourselves and our not-very-friendly neighbors to the north. IMO, after taking all the risk and doing all the work, it makes little sense to let them share the stage we built despite their active interference.

For NDSU, there is nothing good that can come of this game. It only serves to build up a rival program. That might very well come back to bite us. UND's football program is down now. I'd prefer that they stay there.

For all of your complaining about the game the easy solution to your depression is DON"T GO TO IT.

There will be plenty of people ready to use your ticket.

Bison are not 'sharing the stage'. They are on top of the FCS right now. UND is going to get better with Bubba....so what? The only place to go for them is up. Them getting better has nothing to do with NDSU.

We fill two home dates and that is a good thing.

BisonBacker
August 24th, 2014, 08:43 AM

This times 1000. Spot on analysis.

BisonBacker
August 24th, 2014, 08:47 AM
More revenue is more revenue regardless in how its packaged. Doesnt make any difference what they could do now with out UND. All the bs you bring up just muddies the water. The bottom line is what it is, regardless of how it gets there. Yes I repeated that. Your repeated comments about the lack of importance of the game also will have no bearing in the final marketing of this game. Not to mention fan Hatred and bad press for NDSU will be exceedingly high. All the sound bites wont change that. Time will tell. Watch and learn.

There I fixed it for you!

BisonBacker
August 24th, 2014, 08:49 AM
For all of your complaining about the game the easy solution to your depression is DON"T GO TO IT.

There will be plenty of people ready to use your ticket.

Bison are not 'sharing the stage'. They are on top of the FCS right now. UND is going to get better with Bubba....so what? The only place to go for them is up. Them getting better has nothing to do with NDSU.

We fill two home dates and that is a good thing.

I disagree with that notion. Any team that comes to Fargo does that. Now heap on the hard on the press has for this and you can tell me again NDSU isn't sharing the stage. Area recruits will see this and it does nothing but prop up an irrelevant football team that has done nothing to gain any respect in the last ten years.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2014, 08:52 AM
This times 1000. Spot on analysis.

BB, we usually agree on most subjects but not on this one.

2 games in Fargo with no home games being sacrificed to play in their tin shed, to me that is a positive.

Beat them down and have bragging rights for four years. This game is a good thing. I was on the fence with this game but it was going to happen so why not in Fargo. Now if home games are going to be compromised in the future, then I would have a problem with that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I disagree with that notion. Any team that comes to Fargo does that. Now heap on the hard on the press has for this and you can tell me again NDSU isn't sharing the stage. Area recruits will see this and it does nothing but prop up an irrelevant football team that has done nothing to gain any respect in the last ten years.

Recruits go where they feel comfortable. NDSU or any other team cannot get all of the players they want. NDSU has built their FCS reputation w/o UND and playing them will not diminish that at all IMO.

SDFS
August 24th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Great deal for NDSU - Bubba really wanted this game. Bad deal for UND - peace.

Gil Dobie
August 24th, 2014, 10:27 AM

UN_ is 4-1 at the Fargodome, and since the dome opened, UN_ has had 8 home games against the Bison. Time to get things evened up.

Gil Dobie
August 24th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Recruits go where they feel comfortable. NDSU or any other team cannot get all of the players they want. NDSU has built their FCS reputation w/o UND and playing them will not diminish that at all IMO.

What I have heard during the DII scholarship reduction days, UN_ would recruit the same players as NDSU. UN_ would find out what the Bison offered, and offer a little more. This split the talent between the 2 schools, and took away from the Bison building depth like they are in FCS. In FCS the Bison can get most of the recruits they want with the 63 scholarships.

SDFS
August 24th, 2014, 10:50 AM
UN_ is 4-1 at the Fargodome, and since the dome opened, UN_ has had 8 home games against the Bison. Time to get things evened up.

I think that last game played was in GF in 2003, so I understand starting in Fargo. I assume that additional games in GF were playoff games. Higher seed hosts I believe that would be 94 and 95.

WestCoastAggie
August 24th, 2014, 10:55 AM

It would be like having to play A&T in Greensboro all the time.

Gil Dobie
August 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I think that last game played was in GF in 2003, so I understand starting in Fargo. I assume that additional games in GF were playoff games. Higher seed hosts I believe that would be 94 and 95.

Still 4-1 at the Fargodome needs to evened out.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2014, 11:16 AM
What I have heard during the DII scholarship reduction days, UN_ would recruit the same players as NDSU. UN_ would find out what the Bison offered, and offer a little more. This split the talent between the 2 schools, and took away from the Bison building depth like they are in FCS. In FCS the Bison can get most of the recruits they want with the 63 scholarships.

Yep. any crowing they like to do about their success in the 90's was solely because of a race to the bottom with scholarships.

Bisonoline
August 24th, 2014, 11:32 AM

Does anyone think anyone in the football world is saying ---Geee UND is playing NDSU they must really be good? Do you think anyone else in the football world gives a ratts butt that NDSU and UND are playing each other again except in our own little world?

You do realize that the arguments to not play UND are the same as FBS teams use against us? UND IS D1. Playing doesnt legitimize there program. All it does is show whether its any good or not. St Francis wasnt legitimized anymore than UND will be. The only distance we have on UND is quality of play in football. Thay have closed that gap in other sports. If people dont want to play UND because they hate them I am good with that. Just say so. But you dont have to come up with all of these mundane over used, invalid excuses to not play the game.

This is the best deal anyone could possibly come up with. TWO games in the Dome for LOW money. No return game in GF. We fill two holes in our schedule that NEEDED to be filled. This help us way more than them.

AmsterBison
August 24th, 2014, 12:14 PM

For some reason, the North Central Conference gave UND two consecutive home games against NDSU (1992 and 1993.) I had almost forgotten about that. At the time, it was Everybody v NDSU so it wasn't all that surprising. That's a long time ago, but it was pretty fresh in a lot of Bison fans' minds when the series ended ten years later.

SDFS
August 24th, 2014, 12:20 PM

I guess we shall see - 6-1 would look nice..

NDSUSR
August 24th, 2014, 12:22 PM
UN_ will get stomped so bad that they will never beg to play NDSU again.
Be careful what you wish for.

darell1976
August 24th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I have never seen a fanbase so wrapped up in the economics of a school. Sounds like some of you may get more jacked up sitting in the back of an Accounting 200 Course than at a bitter in state football rivalry.

Wait for the outcry if UND wins. Grab your popcorn folks!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2014, 01:16 PM

Keep jerking to that fantasy, we have an actual season to worry about.

darell1976
August 24th, 2014, 01:27 PM

Bad deal..maybe? Yes a return game would be nice, but UND has closed the books on scheduling until 2017, thats pretty damn good. Now in 2019 we have 4 spots for OOC games, and Bubba and Brian Faison just filled one (NDSU). UND can either have no FBS game and have 7 home games or have an FBS game and get 2 FCS teams play in Grand Forks for 6 home games. UND will not play EVERY game in Fargo. Just like we won't play every game in Brookings, and Vermillion, or even at UNI. There will be H/H games. So lets give this deal for what it is, 2 OOC road games in 2 different seasons. Who knows after 2019 we will all be FBS by then in the Sun Belt/WAC/MAC/Little Big 10 conference. With the way college football is changing its landscapes you never know what the near future will hold.

darell1976
August 24th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Keep jerking to that fantasy, we have an actual season to worry about.

Fantasy? UND can win in Fargo, and has proved it before. Keep jerking to the fantasy that no one can win in Fargo. I guess NOW we will find out in roughly 13 months?

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Fantasy? UND can win in Fargo, and has proved it before. Keep jerking to the fantasy that no one can win in Fargo. I guess NOW we will find out in roughly 13 months?

Unless the NCAA cuts scholarships down to 36 by next year, you won't have a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

darell1976
August 24th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Unless the NCAA cuts scholarships down to 36 by next year, you won't have a chance.

Like I said we will find out in 13 months.

Twentysix
August 24th, 2014, 02:04 PM
actually what it might do is end their folly in the Big Sky and join their Dakota friends in conference.

I also suspect this.

Build goodwill with the 3 dakota schools in the MVFC. Join MVFC around 2020, maybe sooner. Honestly, it's a good plan.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I also suspect this.

Build goodwill with the 3 dakota schools in the MVFC. Join MVFC around 2020, maybe sooner. Honestly, it's a good plan.

It's a way better fit than the BSC.

centennial
August 24th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Like I said we will find out in 13 months.
And what makes you believe that your team has a chance? Outside of the worst year in a decade, your team isn't in the same vicinity as ours. Are you hoping NDSU will have a 3 win season in 2015? Or that UND will be 1st place Big Sky in 2015?
46 North Dakota State AA = 75.15
187 North Dakota AA = 45.54

17 North Dakota State AA = 86.38
225 North Dakota AA = 35.19

35 North Dakota State AA = 77.94
149 North Dakota AA = 53.71

37 North Dakota State AA = 76.60
128 North Dakota AA = 57.35

94 North Dakota State AA = 63.66
190 North Dakota AA = 47.07

148 North Dakota AA = 52.43
171 North Dakota State AA = 47.80

150 North Dakota State AA = 53.60
191 North Dakota AA = 44.68

71 North Dakota State AA = 68.80

57 North Dakota State AA = 71.81

darell1976
August 24th, 2014, 02:32 PM
And what makes you believe that your team has a chance? Outside of the worst year in a decade, your team isn't in the same vicinity as ours. Are you hoping NDSU will have a 3 win season in 2015? Or that UND will be 1st place Big Sky in 2015?
46 North Dakota State AA = 75.15
187 North Dakota AA = 45.54

17 North Dakota State AA = 86.38
225 North Dakota AA = 35.19

35 North Dakota State AA = 77.94
149 North Dakota AA = 53.71

37 North Dakota State AA = 76.60
128 North Dakota AA = 57.35

94 North Dakota State AA = 63.66
190 North Dakota AA = 47.07

148 North Dakota AA = 52.43
171 North Dakota State AA = 47.80

150 North Dakota State AA = 53.60
191 North Dakota AA = 44.68

71 North Dakota State AA = 68.80

57 North Dakota State AA = 71.81

anybody can beat anybody plain and simple. We will find out in 13 months.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2014, 02:34 PM
You worry about it for 13 months, we have a game this weekend to worry about.

darell1976
August 24th, 2014, 02:35 PM
You worry about it for 13 months, we have a game this weekend to worry about.

Whose worried? I'm not sweating or getting bent out of shape over an OOC game played next season. I can't wait for Thursday night when our season starts.

centennial
August 24th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Whose worried? I'm not sweating or getting bent out of shape over an OOC game played next season. I can't wait for Thursday night when our season starts.
Go beat San Jose St and get to the playoffs before you start claiming anyone can beat anyone.

darell1976
August 24th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Go beat San Jose St and get to the playoffs before you start claiming anyone can beat anyone.

Your funny. Lol!!!!

Lehigh'98
August 24th, 2014, 03:27 PM

Didn't ISUb come in and shut you guys down in 2012 in your house? While not likely, AGS..

centennial
August 24th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Didn't ISUb come in and shut you guys down in 2012 in your house? While not likely, AGS..
That game was a comedy of errors and bad bounces. Everything went their way.
While they had an unusually good team, if you do watch the game you'll understand what I mean.

Lehigh'98
August 24th, 2014, 03:51 PM
That game was a comedy of errors and bad bounces. Everything went their way.
While they had an unusually good team, if you do watch the game you'll understand what I mean.

Point being those games do happen even w great teams like that one (I doubt the 2015 team will be that good, though I could be wrong).

ursus arctos horribilis
August 24th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Here's the problem with your logic. With a complete sellout and a large waiting list, NDSU could already have increased prices without UND on the schedule. It only makes sense to attribute a potential increase in ticket prices to UND being back on the schedule if increased demand for THAT game is what really allowed NDSU to increase prices. IMO, that would be false.

My man, the Griz have been dealing with the same thing you and your fans are now dealing with for 20 yrs. I know there are ways to minimize it and say it doesn't matter if you want to so carry on if you wish but that game is bigger to the fans than an Incarnate Word or a Delstate game. Doesn't mean people aren't going to those games.

We've had waiting lists etc. for a long time as well and UM could have done exactly what you say as well without giving the fans something more for a while but at some point you better come up with a little more excitement and UND is far more exciting than some of the other clunkers...for the same price or less.

Now I'm sure it has other drawbacks but the money sure as hell ain't one of them.

centennial
August 24th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Point being those games do happen even w great teams like that one (I doubt the 2015 team will be that good, though I could be wrong).
I don't disagree with you in principle. That Indiana State team was solid, and could have easily beat 5 playoff teams that year. We aren't blind to the fact that anyone can win a football game, the point most posters are trying to make is that UND must earn respect before they are given it. An argument about anything can happen is empty without a team to back it up. Let's see a 8-10 win UND team this year and I think most Bison fans would be legitimately worried about that game.

darell1976
August 24th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I don't disagree with you in principle. That Indiana State team was solid, and could have easily beat 5 playoff teams that year. We aren't blind to the fact that anyone can win a football game, the point most posters are trying to make is that UND must earn respect before they are given it. An argument about anything can happen is empty without a team to back it up. Let's see a 8-10 win UND team this year and I think most Bison fans would be legitimately worried about that game.

So respect means you can say AGS? Did UNI respect UND in 2006 when we knocked them off? Did Michigan fans respect App St before the game? I saw lots of respect KSU fans gave NDSU last year calling you guys an NAIA team. Paper doesn't matter, it's what happens on the field. That's why games are played. Your fans will say you will win our fans will say we will win. 13 months!!

saxbison
August 24th, 2014, 04:38 PM
So respect means you can say AGS? Did UNI respect UND in 2006 when we knocked them off? Did Michigan fans respect App St before the game? I saw lots of respect KSU fans gave NDSU last year calling you guys an NAIA team. Paper doesn't matter, it's what happens on the field. That's why games are played. Your fans will say you will win our fans will say we will win. 13 months!!

Hate to say it, but I agree with a UND fan. They will be jacked up to the max for this game and I hope that our guys will too. Look attthe UNI game last year. If we gift them anything, they could take advantage. Add that to the starters we will lose and they could pull a fast one. I am glad the game is happening, but AGS.

Bisonoline
August 24th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Considering we were 3-8 the year before we made a run in the playoffs I would not think of mailing this game in. I expect UND to be a better team next year than than they were last year. This year is a big question mark. But we aint playing this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Considering we were 3-8 the year before we made a run in the playoffs I would not think of mailing this game in. I expect UND to be a better team next year than than they were last year. This year is a big question mark. But we aint playing this year.

I agree.

I'm no UND fan but you Bison fans bashing UND just to bash them saying they will never be good is BS. Bubba is a good coach and will make UND a better team. Right now the Bison are a better team with better talent but a team that fully funds 63 scholarships is not going to be bad forever. The only place to go for them is up. NDSU/UNI/SDSU/USD are not going to get all of the best FCS players in the region, UND is going to get some good players also.

Can the Bison improve much over 15-0? Ya, 16-0 is a possibility but staying on top is not easy. The teams should have kept playing after 2003 because IMO, the Bison would be riding a 10 game win streak right now.

I'm looking forward to the game next year. The hype for it will be awesome. NDSU could sell 30K tickets for the game next year.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I agree.

I'm no UND fan but you Bison fans bashing UND just to bash them saying they will never be good is BS. Bubba is a good coach and will make UND a better team. Right now the Bison are a better team with better talent but a team that fully funds 63 scholarships is not going to be bad forever. The only place to go for them is up. NDSU/UNI/SDSU/USD are not going to get all of the best FCS players in the region, UND is going to get some good players also.

Can the Bison improve much over 15-0? Ya, 16-0 is a possibility but staying on top is not easy. The teams should have kept playing after 2003 because IMO, the Bison would be riding a 10 game win streak right now.

I'm looking forward to the game next year. The hype for it will be awesome. NDSU could sell 30K tickets for the game next year.

I know that no one is that forward thinking but what about using something like this to relax the tailgating rules? How about a couple of inflatable big screens in the parking lot and allowing people to stay out there? Especially since it's sold out continuously they should let people stay around and watch if they cannot get into the game.

Bisonoline
August 24th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I know that no one is that forward thinking but what about using something like this to relax the tailgating rules? How about a couple of inflatable big screens in the parking lot and allowing people to stay out there? Especially since it's sold out continuously they should let people stay around and watch if they cannot get into the game.

The anti alcohol crowd would come unglued at even the suggestion of drinking in the tailgate lot during the game.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2014, 08:07 PM
The anti alcohol crowd would come unglued at even the suggestion of drinking in the tailgate lot during the game.

Oh, I understand who would be against it and I certainly wouldn't like what they had at SIU but it could be a way to manage the "overflow" demand in a clever and fun way.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Oh, I understand who would be against it and I certainly wouldn't like what they had at SIU but it could be a way to manage the "overflow" demand in a clever and fun way.

To bad the BSA remodel is not done.

A big screen in the tailgate would be awesome for the fans that could not get tickets!

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2014, 08:11 PM
To bad the BSA remodel is not done.

A big screen in the tailgate would be awesome for the fans that could not get tickets!

Exactly. I can't be the first person who has thought of this. Honestly, what a great idea! My friend has season tickets and I came up for Gameday last year but since it was Delaware State, he let his kids go and we went to Chubs to watch it after tailgating. How much fun would it be to just continue the festival type atmosphere? What harm would it do?

Professor Chaos
August 24th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Whew, was gone this weekend so finally caught up on this thread and I'm somewhat impressed it hasn't turned into a bigger dumpster fire than it has.

My two cents are this is a great deal for NDSU and a D1 era wake up call that UND football finally answered. NDSU gets two home games on the cheap without any future road commitments. UND basically admits by taking this deal that they're not at NDSU's level despite being a geographical peer and rival program (some NDSU fans don't want to admit it but UND is still our rival).

I'm not naïve enough to think that this won't lead to future games including games in Grand Forks but this deal alone has 4 years between games. If the series continues on that same timeline this can be accommodated by 12 games schedules and going without FBS games if necessary in certain years. I know not having an FBS game isn't what any Bison fans want but the reality is it's going to be tough to continue to find the regional FBS games we've grown to love so much with this P5 autonomy mentality and NDSU trend of success against lower tier FBS teams. A MAC school isn't going to pick up the phone right now when the NDSU AD calls, their reputation precedes them.

If UND improves their football program to a top 25 level in the current FCS then I think it's acceptable for NDSU to schedule a home/home. If not, I'd still like to see the NDSU AD insist on only guarantee games in Fargo or a 2 for 1 in future deals.

Oh yeah, and they need to bring the nickel back. Like was previously said just make a different one with whatever UND's new mascot is and send the old one to the ND heritage center.

DJKyR0
August 25th, 2014, 12:02 AM

http://i.imgur.com/0tZAKAq.gif

Bisonoline
August 25th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Exactly. I can't be the first person who has thought of this. Honestly, what a great idea! My friend has season tickets and I came up for Gameday last year but since it was Delaware State, he let his kids go and we went to Chubs to watch it after tailgating. How much fun would it be to just continue the festival type atmosphere? What harm would it do?

You got a big screen in your back pocket you wanna donate?:D

BisonBacker
August 25th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Hate to say it, but I agree with a UND fan. They will be jacked up to the max for this game and I hope that our guys will too. Look attthe UNI game last year. If we gift them anything, they could take advantage. Add that to the starters we will lose and they could pull a fast one. I am glad the game is happening, but AGS.

That's the difference with UN_ fans vs NDSU fans. NDSU's goal is National Championships while UN_ fans only care about a "W" against NDSU. Anyone from the outside of this area will think that's nuts and it really is to think that way but those up here and familiar with these teams know it's true.

deez_na
August 25th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I see this as more of a win situation for UND and absolutely no good for NDSU. I realize it's a fun rivalry game but NDSU gains nothing from it. If we win then it's just another win over a weak team that does nothing for us. If we lose then it hurts us badly and can affect recruiting. I'm pumped for these games but as long as we are on top and UN_ is at the bottom it doesn't do us any good.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2014, 08:00 AM
You got a big screen in your back pocket you wanna donate?:D

I was just thinking more about those big inflatables. You're absolutely right, gotta get past the Neo Temperance Movement

aces1180
August 25th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I see this as more of a win situation for UND and absolutely no good for NDSU. I realize it's a fun rivalry game but NDSU gains nothing from it. If we win then it's just another win over a weak team that does nothing for us. If we lose then it hurts us badly and can affect recruiting. I'm pumped for these games but as long as we are on top and UN_ is at the bottom it doesn't do us any good.

When we kick their ass, it will prove that we are the superior PROGRAM in the Dakota's. Plus, we are getting to OOC games at home for CHEAP and it makes UN_'s admin look like bitches for even signing the deal.

I don't understand why people can't see that.

Bisonator
August 25th, 2014, 02:04 PM
When we kick their ass, it will prove that we are the superior PROGRAM in the Dakota's. Plus, we are getting to OOC games at home for CHEAP and it makes UN_'s admin look like bitches for even signing the deal.

I don't understand why people can't see that.

First off we ARE the superior program in the Dakota's. It's already been proven.

I agree with your second point. It's 2 cheap home OOC games. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gothmog
August 27th, 2014, 09:20 AM
My man, the Griz have been dealing with the same thing you and your fans are now dealing with for 20 yrs. I know there are ways to minimize it and say it doesn't matter if you want to so carry on if you wish but that game is bigger to the fans than an Incarnate Word or a Delstate game. Doesn't mean people aren't going to those games.

We've had waiting lists etc. for a long time as well and UM could have done exactly what you say as well without giving the fans something more for a while but at some point you better come up with a little more excitement and UND is far more exciting than some of the other clunkers...for the same price or less.

Now I'm sure it has other drawbacks but the money sure as hell ain't one of them.

I did not say that money was a drawback. All I said was, that if NDSU was inclined to charge more for "premium" games, they could and would already be doing so. The excess demand for Bison tickets NDSU is currently experiencing did not begin with UND's reappearance on their schedule.

dewey
August 27th, 2014, 10:39 AM
First off we ARE the superior program in the Dakota's. It's already been proven.

I agree with your second point. It's 2 cheap home OOC games. Nothing more, nothing less.

We have 11 National Championships to UN_'s 1. So no matter how they do against NDSU next year or 2019 unless they get to 12 National Championships in football NDSU is the superior program.

IMHO I think the games against UN_ will bring a level of intensity far superior to any OOC game that we have had the last few years. The fact that they are super cheap for NDSU is just icing on the cake.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
August 27th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I did not say that money was a drawback. All I said was, that if NDSU was inclined to charge more for "premium" games, they could and would already be doing so. The excess demand for Bison tickets NDSU is currently experiencing did not begin with UND's reappearance on their schedule.

They will charge more for the premium games. They probably are now or at least ticket prices moving up over the last few years and they peanut butter the cost around maybe? The situation here is what NDSU is going through in the last few years. When a big game is placed on the schedule the season tickets can be layed out for a little more money. I've watched UM tickets go from around $5-7/ea. to closer to $40 on average now. Success just does that so adding the big games (App, NDSU, McNeese, etc.) for us allows a pretty good asking price...UND will do that to some extent for NDSU without the big payout.

DaveK
August 27th, 2014, 06:08 PM

The Nickel Trophy was awarded to the winner of the Sioux/Bison game. Since there is no longer a team called the Sioux, there is no point in playing for the trophy. If NDSU wanted to keep alive their slim chances of someday winning that trophy back they should have helped UND try to save their nickname.

DaveK
August 27th, 2014, 06:12 PM
First off I don't see how the NCAA or NA groups can complain about it since it's a replica of US currency. Are we going to erase history too? But if it's no longer going to be played for it needs to be put in Bismarck at the Heritage Center or someplace. It's a historical piece that should be on display for all to see. Wouldn't be fair for either school or past players if it's kept on one campus.

I say no new trophy until UN_ gets a new nickname. Would look stupid with UND on one side and NDSU or a Bison on the other.

I agree that it should be on display for all to see, but not in Bismarck. It belongs in the city of the team who won the last Sioux/Bison game. Both sides knew this could end up being the result going into that last meeting in 2003. NDSU had their chance, but they lost.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 27th, 2014, 06:12 PM
The Nickel Trophy was awarded to the winner of the Sioux/Bison game. Since there is no longer a team called the Sioux, there is no point in playing for the trophy. If NDSU wanted to keep alive their slim chances of someday winning that trophy back they should have helped UND try to save their nickname.

Holy ****. Who moved the rock?

Move it back, please.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 27th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Holy ****. Who moved the rock?

Move it back, please.

Couldn't agree more.

xnodx

frozennorth
August 27th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I agree that it should be on display for all to see, but not in Bismarck. It belongs in the city of the team who won the last Sioux/Bison game. Both sides knew this could end up being the result going into that last meeting in 2003. NDSU had their chance, but they lost.
No, you don't get to decide who it belongs to.

SUPharmacist
August 27th, 2014, 09:05 PM
If NDSU wanted to keep alive their slim chances of someday winning that trophy back they should have helped UND try to save their nickname.

Of course you are right, why didn't NDSU support UND with how supportive UND has always been to the bison. While, I think it would be nice for the trophy to be up for grabs in this game, or for it to be displayed in Bismarck, UND can do whatever they damn well please. Hopefully, these two games are solid wins for NDSU, and they can leave this rivalry in the trash for a while longer.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 28th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Of course you are right, why didn't NDSU support UND with how supportive UND has always been to the bison. While, I think it would be nice for the trophy to be up for grabs in this game, or for it to be displayed in Bismarck, UND can do whatever they damn well please. Hopefully, these two games are solid wins for NDSU, and they can leave this rivalry in the trash for a while longer.

I forgot how butthurt he was about the nickname.

Bisonator
August 28th, 2014, 01:12 PM

Well since the Nickel was actually started by both schools Blue Key groups and UN_ has since closed theirs I guess NDSU's Blue Key group is actually entitled to it since they are now the only owner of it. :D

DaveK
August 28th, 2014, 05:17 PM
No, you don't get to decide who it belongs to.

Okay, you got me there. Sorry, forgot to add "in my opinion". :D

DaveK
August 28th, 2014, 05:23 PM

NDSU and its fanbase has spent the last 11 years running their big mouths about how little they think of UND, making the arrogant claims that they are so much better without having to go out and back up all that talk by proving it on the field. Now they are in a no-win situation... if they win it becomes a case of "well, you were supposed to win" and if they lose they make themselves look like fools for running their big mouths so much after ending the Sioux/Bison rivalry on a three-game losing streak.

DaveK
August 28th, 2014, 05:25 PM

The number of scholarships only matters if one team has more than the other. If both teams have the same limit it should make no difference if that limit is 36 or 136.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2014, 05:44 PM

You are full of **** and using semantics to justify a con artist way of doing things. You know it would be wrong if it were the other way so cut the hypocritical BS.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2014, 05:52 PM
NDSU and its fanbase has spent the last 11 years running their big mouths about how little they think of UND, making the arrogant claims that they are so much better without having to go out and back up all that talk by proving it on the field. Now they are in a no-win situation... if they win it becomes a case of "well, you were supposed to win" and if they lose they make themselves look like fools for running their big mouths so much after ending the Sioux/Bison rivalry on a three-game losing streak.

The first part of this post is absolute idiocy. Everybody has seen them prove it on the field. They did not need to play UND to prove it. The second part of your post has some substance.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Too bad the series wasn't continued because the Bison would have a 10 game win streak right now. The 11-12-13 Bison teams would have beat down the no nickname team by 40 points by the half.

San Jose State wins tonight by 3 TDs...xnodx

DaveK
August 28th, 2014, 06:16 PM
You are full of **** and using semantics to justify a con artist way of doing things. You know it would be wrong if it were the other way so cut the hypocritical BS.

The loss of the nickname makes all the difference in the world. There will never be another Sioux/Bison game, therefore the Nickel should never be played for again. Yes, there will be a UND/NDSU game... but it will not be a Sioux/Bison game. The current UND team is to the Sioux what the Titans are to the Oilers in the NFL. It isn't the same thing, and that is why the trophy is off the table (or at least in my opinion that is why it SHOULD be off the table).

DaveK
August 28th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Too bad the series wasn't continued because the Bison would have a 10 game win streak right now. The 11-12-13 Bison teams would have beat down the no nickname team by 40 points by the half.

San Jose State wins tonight by 3 TDs...xnodx

IF NDSU hadn't run away from D2 with their tails between their legs as a direct result of being sick and tired of losing to UND all the time the series wouldn't have been discontinued.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2014, 06:25 PM
IF NDSU hadn't run away from D2 with their tails between their legs as a direct result of being sick and tired of losing to UND all the time the series wouldn't have been discontinued.

LOL...this is why nobody missed your absence here. What is the color of the sky in your world bud?

Go back to the Hitler Youth Board and your hockey thread.

SUPharmacist
August 28th, 2014, 06:31 PM
The loss of the nickname makes all the difference in the world. There will never be another Sioux/Bison game, therefore the Nickel should never be played for again. Yes, there will be a UND/NDSU game... but it will not be a Sioux/Bison game. The current UND team is to the Sioux what the Titans are to the Oilers in the NFL. It isn't the same thing, and that is why the trophy is off the table (or at least in my opinion that is why it SHOULD be off the table).

So should we move UND to another state like was done with the oilers, I like that idea.

DaveK
August 28th, 2014, 06:35 PM
So should we move UND to another state like was done with the oilers, I like that idea.

They were the Tennessee Oilers for a couple of years prior to the name change, ya know? It wasn't the relocation that made them a completely different entity, it was the name change. The Houston Oilers and Tennessee Oilers were still the Oilers, but the Tennessee Titans are not the Tennessee Oilers.

DaveK
August 28th, 2014, 06:38 PM
LOL...this is why nobody missed your absence here. What is the color of the sky in your world bud?

Go back to the Hitler Youth Board and your hockey thread.

Don't laugh because you know it is true. What stopped NDSU from moving up to I-AA in the '80s? They were beating UND every year and winning a few national championships along the way. Had they continued to do those two things throughout the '90s they most likely would have been content to stay. The move was one of desperation to somehow escape from the shadow of UND. To their credit it has worked (or at least so far it has worked) but that doesn't change the circumstances that directly led to the move.

Yotes
August 28th, 2014, 06:44 PM
So that's why all the Dakota schools went D1!

centennial
August 28th, 2014, 06:52 PM
http://oi40.tinypic.com/5kosvn.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Don't laugh because you know it is true. What stopped NDSU from moving up to I-AA in the '80s? They were beating UND every year and winning a few national championships along the way. Had they continued to do those two things throughout the '90s they most likely would have been content to stay. The move was one of desperation to somehow escape from the shadow of UND. To their credit it has worked (or at least so far it has worked) but that doesn't change the circumstances that directly led to the move.

Feed the troll.

Oh ya, the huge shadow of UND....xrolleyesx Bison will win another FB NC or multiple before _ND sniffs the playoffs....xlolx

NDSU has done just fine. VB has made the tourney multiple times along with the softball team. MBB has been to the Big Dance twice. T & F has had AAs also. Baseball had a good showing in the NCAAs this year. Wrestling had a AA this year with multiple guys this coming year that could make it. Oh I can see how we were under _ND's shadow.

Go back into that hole where you came from.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2014, 07:04 PM
One MPLS is enough Dave, I can't watch another dude blathering silly arguments constantly. As an outsider looking at what you are saying it's just really, really ridiculous stuff man.

The nickname is what it was all about, all history is forsaken because although the school, the location, basically EVERYTHING is the same except the nickname then this is cause for UND's and your stance on the trophy.

It's a chicken **** move no matter how you slice it. Work up any silly defense you want you just look foolish and so does your school to anyone out there hearing this.

I think I could go along with them never playing the game after the two next up cuz if this is an indication of the logic and thinking it's probably best to just shelve some things. I don't think I've seen a whole lot of UND guys defending UND's deal on the trophy but I ain't exactly seeing it called out for what it is either.

It's the sort of thing you'd see a heel do in the WWE or any other wrestling organization I guess.