PDA

View Full Version : New Athletic Director at Albany: Mark Benson formerly of ODU

Dane96
August 20th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Today, Albany announced its new Athletic Director. The Great Danes welcome Mark Benson to the Purple Family. Previously, A.D. Benson was the Assistant Vice-President of Athletic Development at O.D.U. He is a graduate of N.C. State.

A.D. Benson had a significant hand in engaging the Norfolk community, the grassroots effort to build O.D.U.'s football program, fundraising for facilities, and driving ticket sales and community involvement. All of these are "need-growth" areas for Albany to maintain what we currently have achieved, and grow the program in a slow exponential process.

http://www.albany.edu/news/52597.php?WT.source=home&WT.svl=headline

superman7515
August 20th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Albany to FBS rumors in 3... 2... 1...

M Ruler
August 20th, 2014, 11:14 AM
No way. We need to win the CAA a few times before that happens!

UAalum72
August 20th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I don't think we need to win the CAA, but he'll have to start to show spectacular success at fundraising before planning for FBS can even start.

Dane96
August 20th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Aside from continuing with our path of steady success, I think I'd be happy with him addressing the following, via fundraising:

1. Increasing asst. coaching salaries;
2. Naming of the stadium;
3. Increasing recruiting budgets;
4. Upgrade of facilities, particularly SEFCU, Baseball/Softball, building an indoor facility;
5. Continued expansion of the stadium;
6. Beginning the process of endowing scholarships.

In addition, the community needs to be engaged and the department professionalized. From what I've read/heard, he seems to be perfectly suited for these activities.

MplsBison
August 20th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Albany to FBS rumors in 3... 2... 1...

Even if they had the ambition, where is there any room? All conferences seem more or less set.

Unless Hawaii drops football, but I doubt Albany would end up in the Mountain West.

TheDHC
August 20th, 2014, 10:54 PM
FBS is already bloated.

DFW HOYA
August 21st, 2014, 05:53 AM
Even if they had the ambition, where is there any room? All conferences seem more or less set.

Is UMass still planning to leave the MAC in 2015?

mainejeff
August 21st, 2014, 07:09 AM
Dear Albany fans,

Please don't become another JMU......their fans are so obsessed with moving up that they don't even seem to enjoy football anymore.xsmhx

M Ruler
August 21st, 2014, 08:30 AM
Maine Jeff, my post was just a joke. I don't believe UA will ever be an FBS team. As much as Stony Brook hates to hear this, neither will they. I think Buffalo and its "storied" history is the blueprint as to why neither UA or SB will be FBS. It wouldn't shock me to see Buffalo drop down at some point.

PAllen
August 21st, 2014, 08:49 AM
Buffalo, Albany, Stony Brook, UMass, JMU, Delaware. Could it be? Heck, maybe even add in Army, or dare I say Liberty? That would be a nice little cost containment conference in which everyone gets to be FBS, but nobody is any good at that level. :D

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 10:38 AM
Is UMass still planning to leave the MAC in 2015?

Putting the MAC back down to the same 12 members they've had since 1998 (when Buffalo was addded, Akron in 1992 before that), other than Marshall which joined in the 50's, left, then rejoined from 1997-2005.

Central Florida, Temple and UMass have been football-only anomalies that I doubt will be repeated against any time soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Maine Jeff, my post was just a joke. I don't believe UA will ever be an FBS team. As much as Stony Brook hates to hear this, neither will they. I think Buffalo and its "storied" history is the blueprint as to why neither UA or SB will be FBS. It wouldn't shock me to see Buffalo drop down at some point.

No FBS team is every going to drop down to FCS. What's the point? It's not any cheaper.

If you really want to save money, then drop football.