PDA

View Full Version : Where did these San Diego fans come from?

MarkCCU
October 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Have y'all noticed that ever since USD has been climbing the charts, posts from USD fans have become more and more frequent? Is this a coincedence with success or is the fear of smack subsiding? Your thoughts?

GOTOREROS
October 30th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Have y'all noticed that ever since USD has been climbing the charts, posts from USD fans have become more and more frequent? Is this a coincedence with success or is the fear of smack subsiding? Your thoughts?

Yeah - I would say winning and being ranked gets the fans excited.....

GOTOREROS

danefan
October 30th, 2006, 02:46 PM
lets test the theory....

get 5 Monmouth fans with nothing better to do than post all day long and have them write the same thing 10 different ways in 10 different threads.

Have Monmouth's coach say he could be Rutgers or something else stupid to the Asbury Park Press that gets picked up by the AP.

When Monmouth plays Bergen Catholic High School next week and is winning by 100, they should throw hail mary passes every down in the fourth quarter.

By my calculations if Monmouth does all this, they should be #6 next week.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2006, 02:50 PM
You think they could hang a hundred on Bergen Catholic? :smiley_wi

danefan
October 30th, 2006, 02:51 PM

OK, maybe your right....
I'll change that to St. Peter's college. :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

Just Kidding Ralph!. Not smack...I love St. Peters!

MarkCCU
October 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx you think maybe more?

usdtoreros
October 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Actually I was wondering where all the USD fans have gone. USD posts have really been slowing down the past week. I think when we first got here, it really got people going (and talking). Now things have settled down and we can really talk about the issues. I think people have to agree there is a very realistic possibility that USD makes the playoffs. It is just up to them to win out and then in the hands of the committee.

AppGuy04
October 30th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Actually I was wondering where all the USD fans have gone. USD posts have really been slowing down the past week. I think when we first got here, it really got people going (and talking). Now things have settled down and we can really talk about the issues. I think people have to agree there is a very realistic possibility that USD makes the playoffs. It is just up to them to win out and then in the hands of the committee.

Define realistic:confused:

MarkCCU
October 30th, 2006, 03:02 PM

it's amazing how twins can communicate through brain waves..i was thinkig the same thing

ASU Kep
October 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Anybody notice how the CCU fanbase expanded so rapidly last year? :smiley_wi

Mountaineer
October 30th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Notice how there's also 178 new ASU fans crawling out of the woodwork this year? The guys smacking with less than 20 posts embarrass me. :p :o

MarkCCU
October 30th, 2006, 03:05 PM

did it really? The biggest poster is me followed by Coastal89, Gadfly, Jacque and then probably Katie. Dabnus just came over and there are some others but not a whole lot. Youdidn't see us coming outta the woodwork last year, we were already out as soonas we got football and AGS!:rolleyes:

usdtoreros
October 30th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Well I'd say the probability of USD going undefeated up until playoff selections is >90%. Assuming that happens, I'd say they have at least a 1 in 5 chance of being selected (I actually think it is probably about a 30-50% chance).

DocMike
October 30th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Well I'd say the probability of USD going undefeated up until playoff selections is >90%. Assuming that happens, I'd say they have at least a 1 in 5 chance of being selected (I actually think it is probably about a 30-50% chance).

1 in 5 chance (or even 30-50%) based on what? Is your strength of schedule going to suddenly change over the next few weeks? I have no doubt about USD going undefeated, but with that schedule it is not considered a substantive schedule worthy of selection. Maybe enough USD fans and supporters have begun to understand that importance that the quality of the schedule has played in the selection process. With only the win vs Yale and the rest vs NAIA, D-II, and teams in the bottom ranges of I-AA football it would be a complete affront to see San Diego in the playoffs.

OldFootballGuy
October 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Man, I'd like a piece of that action.

USD's chances of making the playoffs are 0%. They will be 0% next week and they will be 0% on selection day. No team with that schedule is going to get in the playoffs. What USD is doing is good and I'm sure it's a lot of fun for their fans, but at some point you have to be realistic.

Stang Fever
October 30th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Based on what? Is your strength of schedule going to suddenly change over the next few weeks?

better question is. who do you get in over. I am taking 7-4 Montana St over USD anyday. Cause they played a team with a pluse.

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2006, 03:46 PM

My guess is that they're all trying to sample the newest latte at Starbucks!

GOTOREROS
October 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM
My guess is that they're all trying to sample the newest latte at Starbucks!

I had a great "Double half de-cafe" this morning....it was great!

GOTOREROS

97Torero
October 30th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I think most fans are like me. Former players and students who are used to reading up on our team/conference webpages and have seen links to AGS. I have found myself coming back to AGS more frequently and agree that there was a lot of bluster in the beginning. Most have settled down and realize that a playoff run, however unlikely, would be awesome for the school.
My personal opinion is that I would like to see another year of blowouts with no playoffs to show for it so that the administration might come to realize that being the king fish in a small pond is not that fun. Thus, scholarships will be needed to push the program up to the same levels that they are pushing academics up to. Further the additional football spending would increase spending to already strong womens programs. A bonus all the way around.
Sorry for the long windedness. just my two cents.

MiamiTorero
October 31st, 2006, 01:04 AM
My reason is because neither side is going to convince the other whether you think USD should or should not be in the playoffs. I believe USD should get a shot should they go undefeated and many of you do not obviously and will keep that stance. The reason I want USD to get this chance is to prove that we can play with "the big boys" and win. Whether we go or not we will get the chance because USD will play Davis if we dont and if we do we'll play whoever we play. Respect us or not dont look past us.

"It's about the T!"

grizband
October 31st, 2006, 01:17 AM
I think most fans are like me. Former players and students who are used to reading up on our team/conference webpages and have seen links to AGS. I have found myself coming back to AGS more frequently and agree that there was a lot of bluster in the beginning. Most have settled down and realize that a playoff run, however unlikely, would be awesome for the school.
My personal opinion is that I would like to see another year of blowouts with no playoffs to show for it so that the administration might come to realize that being the king fish in a small pond is not that fun. Thus, scholarships will be needed to push the program up to the same levels that they are pushing academics up to. Further the additional football spending would increase spending to already strong womens programs. A bonus all the way around.
Sorry for the long windedness. just my two cents.
I couldn't have said it better myself...someone get this man a beer.:thumbsup:

Go Poly
October 31st, 2006, 01:21 AM

Are you joking? My Mustangs went 10-1 in 1997 and did not get an invitation....in fact their schedule was quite a bit tougher than San Diego's! What's up with them going to the playoffs? Does their conference really have an Autobid?:eyebrow:

usdtoreros
October 31st, 2006, 01:24 AM
Are you joking? My Mustangs went 10-1 in 1997 and did not get an invitation....in fact their schedule was quite a bit tougher than San Diego's! What's up with them going to the playoffs? Does their conference really have an Autobid?:eyebrow:

I guess you guys don't get a one loss team is a lot different than an undefeated team. Every argument is about a 11-1 or 10-1 team not making it.

DocMike
October 31st, 2006, 07:10 AM
I guess some of you USD fans don't get that an undefeated season with your schedule is substantially less than at 10-1 or 11-1 season versus competitition that that is predominantly against schools that are mostly in bottom level of I-AA or NAIA or D-II. Your one exception win can't overcome that fact even when the fans choose to ignore it.

Dabnus Brickey
October 31st, 2006, 07:12 AM
did it really? The biggest poster is me followed by Coastal89, Gadfly, Jacque and then probably Katie. Dabnus just came over and there are some others but not a whole lot. Youdidn't see us coming outta the woodwork last year, we were already out as soonas we got football and AGS!:rolleyes:
Anything you can do to keep my name out there is great!!!

I'm a regular on coastalfans.com but I really like to interact with fans from all over. I think we have more fun than I-A.:hurray:

I've said it before and I'll say it again...grizband has the greatest avatar on here.

DetroitFlyer
October 31st, 2006, 08:13 AM
I do not care what level of football you play, going undefeated is rare and VERY special. I forget where USD is now, but I think they have won 16 in a row! VERY difficult to do! Conference games are always hotly contested and not only winning every one, but blowing out everyone is also special! If you still think this is not true, ask Duquesne and Iona. I In many conference games, records mean nothing and the games are played with a ton of intensity! Especially when you are the top dog, everyone wants to knock your teeth out! I can assure you that the PFL teams are not laying down each week to make USD look good. USD is that good!

Maverick
October 31st, 2006, 08:32 AM
I do care what level you play at and with a conference as weak as the PFL this is just rhetoric without substance when you look at the USD schedule. Ignoring the quality (or lack thereof) of competition is ignoring the elephant in the back of the truck. A win is not just a win across the board. To say a win against a team ranked in the bottom 10 percent of this level is the same as a win against the top 10 percent is beyond the pale of reason. As well as acknowledging facts such as weather and injuries, one must look at these in far more depth than just numbers of wins and losses. Much like stats that are the result of playing against much weaker competition can't truly substantiate arguments about how good a team is.

Still if you blindly want to say that this is all BS and USD is a victim of the nefarious elements (Old Guard, East Coast bias, USD haters, etc.), it does work like the Wizard of Oz (when Dorothy returns with the broom). Pay no attention to that strength of schedule behind the curtain, we are the great and powerful Toreros.

MarkCCU
October 31st, 2006, 09:38 AM
Anything you can do to keep my name out there is great!!!

I'm a regular on coastalfans.com but I really like to interact with fans from all over. I think we have more fun than I-A.:hurray:

I've said it before and I'll say it again...grizband has the greatest avatar on here.

nO PROBlem, I like Coastalfans, though i don't post there often, i do view it:read: :read: :read:

AggiePride
October 31st, 2006, 09:57 AM
I do not care what level of football you play, going undefeated is rare and VERY special. I forget where USD is now, but I think they have won 16 in a row! VERY difficult to do! Conference games are always hotly contested and not only winning every one, but blowing out everyone is also special! If you still think this is not true, ask Duquesne and Iona. I In many conference games, records mean nothing and the games are played with a ton of intensity! Especially when you are the top dog, everyone wants to knock your teeth out! I can assure you that the PFL teams are not laying down each week to make USD look good. USD is that good!

You will never get the respect you keep trying to plead for with absurd comments like that.

SactoHornetFan
October 31st, 2006, 10:03 AM
Sorry USD fans. I was talking with our AD over the weekend and he is on the I-AA Football Committee that will select the teams. He told me, even if USD wins out, they will not get in because of your schedule. He also said that others on the committee, especially back east, are very adament about this, even though, personally, I think he would like to see USD there just to see how they would fare. But he also said that he would like USD to schedule scholly folks in the regular season to see how they would fare.

GoAgs72
October 31st, 2006, 10:16 AM
Most of the rest of us split our time between our own team's fan web site and AGS. Maybe so many USD posters are on here because they don't have their own web site - anyway, one is not listed on the AGS list.

Dabnus Brickey
October 31st, 2006, 10:39 AM
That's a nice helmet you got there. Who is in your conference, just out of curiousity?

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 10:52 AM
Most of the rest of us split our time between our own team's fan web site and AGS. Maybe so many USD posters are on here because they don't have their own web site - anyway, one is not listed on the AGS list.

Correct - there is no USD fan site. We either come here or the PFL message board.....

GOTOREROS

GGASU
October 31st, 2006, 10:57 AM
Sorry USD fans. I was talking with our AD over the weekend and he is on the I-AA Football Committee that will select the teams. He told me, even if USD wins out, they will not get in because of your schedule. He also said that others on the committee, especially back east, are very adament about this, even though, personally, I think he would like to see USD there just to see how they would fare. But he also said that he would like USD to schedule scholly folks in the regular season to see how they would fare.

Sounds like the San Diego Fans/Coach etc should be emailing and calling the committee members to plead their case.

Central
Tim Van Alstine, Western Illinois University, chair
Don Kaverman, Southeast Missouri State University
East
John McCutcheon, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, chair
#John Hardt, Bucknell University
South
Warren Koegel, Coastal Carolina University, chair
Floyd Kerr, Morgan State University
West
Bobby Williams, Sam Houston State University, chair
Terry Wanless, California State University, Sacramento

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 10:59 AM
Sounds like the San Diego Fans/Coach etc should be emailing and calling the committee members to plead their case.

Central
Tim Van Alstine, Western Illinois University, chair
Don Kaverman, Southeast Missouri State University
East
John McCutcheon, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, chair
#John Hardt, Bucknell University
South
Warren Koegel, Coastal Carolina University, chair
Floyd Kerr, Morgan State University
West
Bobby Williams, Sam Houston State University, chair
Terry Wanless, California State University, Sacramento

I doubt a committee memeber is sharing this opinion so openly at this time, especially with a fan - it would be grounds for dismissal from the committee if he were......

What was the AD's name again, I'm sure the NCAA would like to hear about his comments so early before the selection process begins.

GOTOREROS

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 11:03 AM

Phew, I knew the Old Guard would be able to unite. Please don't post this information though. We do not want the general public to know about the collusion in I-AA football and how it works. Please don't blow our cover... the regular season still has three weeks to go and we don't want people to know that we are talking about trying to keep certain teams out of the playoffs. Now, we just have to get all their high rankings to go down so we don't look silly, i mean... we don't want people to know their are problems with I-AA football just like the I-A BCS.

GGASU
October 31st, 2006, 11:13 AM
I doubt a committee memeber is sharing this opinion so openly at this time, especially with a fan - it would be grounds for dismissal from the committee if he were......

What was the AD's name again, I'm sure the NCAA would like to hear about his comments so early before the selection process begins.

GOTOREROS

The Sac. State AD is....
Dr. Terry Wanless, Athletics Director 916-278-6348 [email protected]

Regardless if it is true or not, numerous emails and letters to the committee members from the supporters of SD will not hurt.

If you want in spend your time convincing them, not AGS members! :nod:

I personally think you should be in the playoffs. If you end up with a top ten GPI and Yale continues to win, you might even get a home game. xlolx

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 11:42 AM
I personally think you should be in the playoffs. If you end up with a top ten GPI and Yale continues to win, you might even get a home game. xlolx

GGASU, thanks for your support. I think your second comment was a joke.. which i found funny.. doubtful San Diego would ever get a home game in the near future, unless they added scholarships played tougher schedule etc. It will be interesting to see how serious the playoff consideration actually gets in the coming weeks and if they make it?!?!?!

I can think of several people in the USD administration that I would like to take to see a home ASU game. That would be great, see what I-AA can be like when you really try to put money in it, etc. Our best hope is to get an at-large this year and sent most likely in the West to Montana. (The administration and big whigs would jump on the band wagon and be on the charter flights etc.) Best of luck the rest of the way...

SactoHornetFan
October 31st, 2006, 11:52 AM

GOTOREROS

Like its a real secret....I'm mean come on...I'll root for you guys to beat Davis because they are our rival. But like everyone on here has noted, you guys have not played a schedule worthy enough to merit a playoff bid this year.

Um, regarding the selection process, its been ongoing since the season started. Everyone knows that USD had the schedule they were going to play well in advance of the season beginning.

Personally, I don't think emails or phone calls are going to help your case. Certainly welcome to try, but it should be your AD and HC phone numbers you should be calling in getting them to schedule playoff-eligible conference teams.

mainejeff
October 31st, 2006, 01:05 PM

San Diego is dying for a winner to follow with the infinite losing up on Montezuma Mesa (SDSU). It's no wonder that SD fans are excited about the Torreros.

Texcat34
October 31st, 2006, 01:30 PM
Keep your heads up Torero fans, I'm pretty sure the rest of the Pioneer League is rooting for you (except when you play us, and you already embarassed us enough to spark our current winning streak). Hopefully you will shock the world, get a bid, and Davidson will win out and graciously accept your vacated spot in the Gridiron Classic against the NEC. I just found out about this site and it is awesome, I cannot believe there is a message board devoted solely to D-1AA football, but I guess according to the majority of these posters we don't really belong here and should go find a DII, DIII, Junior College, or NAIA board. Go easy on the PFL, we're doing the best we can and improving each year.

UMass922
October 31st, 2006, 01:32 PM

All of this is true. Rest assured, San Diego will be justly rewarded for its in-conference performance with a berth in the Gridiron Classic.

NorthDakotaBison
October 31st, 2006, 01:34 PM
I can assure you that the PFL teams are not laying down each week to make USD look good. USD is that good!

that is the funniest thing i've ever read on ags including the frivolous banter boards...........

ToreroTime
October 31st, 2006, 01:51 PM
Keep your heads up Torero fans, I'm pretty sure the rest of the Pioneer League is rooting for you (except when you play us, and you already embarassed us enough to spark our current winning streak). Hopefully you will shock the world, get a bid, and Davidson will win out and graciously accept your vacated spot in the Gridiron Classic against the NEC. I just found out about this site and it is awesome, I cannot believe there is a message board devoted solely to D-1AA football.

Its good to see a Davidson fan on here! I heard the new stadium upgrades are real nice!

Texcat34
October 31st, 2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks ToreroTime, the stadium additions really improved the atmosphere. However, once I win the lottery or the McDonald's monopoly game I'm pushing for a 20,000 seat field turf stadium on the shores of nearby Lake Norman, NC (and a triumphant scholarship return to the Southern Conference after we kidnap the admissions department and lower the academic standards) . Thank you for ruining my 5 year class reunion by dominating the Wildcats at home :bawling: , you guys are absolutely dominating everyone they put in front of you :bow: . Thank god my team got to play you in 2000 before Harbaugh came on board. :nod: Good luck the rest of the year, your QB is incredible and your program is on the rise...best wishes for making the playoffs, you never know.

DetroitFlyer
October 31st, 2006, 02:36 PM
We have USD fans, Davidson fans, Drake fans, and Dayton fans. I think I remember a Butler fan and maybe a Valpo and maybe a MSU fan or two as well. I do not remember any Jacksonville fans.... At any rate, I fully agree that all of us PFL fans are pulling for USD to receive a playoff bid! I will still be rooting for my Flyers when we play in a couple of weeks, but if you beat us, I want to see USD proudly representing the PFL in the playoffs!!:hurray: