View Full Version : Ivy Games 11/4/06

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Having gone 2 for 4 with my "picks" last week, I'm almost embarrassed to try again. :o But here goes.

Dartmouth at Cornell: Based on Cornell's upset of Princeton last week and the teams' relative performances against Harvard, I have to go with the Big Red, 21-6.

Yale at Brown: The Bears still have an outside shot at a share of the Ivy title, but they need some help. Brown will help themselves by beating Yale in an upset special, 17-16.

Columbia at Harvard: The Crimson will prevail at home, 28-7, before Harvard's year-ending tests against Penn and Yale.

Penn at Princeton: HarvardWorship is correct that this will be a very tough game. Penn can likewise get a share of the Ivy title, but the Quakers will need to win this one if they have any prayer. God does not hear that prayer: Princeton 19, Penn 14.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2006, 10:30 AM
If what you say plays out, the Ivy title race will be absolutely crazy, with H-Y-P all with one loss and Princeton/Yale and Harvard/Yale looming.

Should be a great race to the finish :nod:

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM
If what you say plays out, the Ivy title race will be absolutely crazy, with H-Y-P all with one loss and Princeton/Yale and Harvard/Yale looming.

Should be a great race to the finish :nod:

To make things even wackier, if (a) Penn beats both Princeton and Harvard and (b) Princeton and Brown beat Yale, there could be a five-way tie for the league lead going into the final week of the season, with Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown and Penn each having 4-2 records.

bulldog10jw
October 30th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Having gone 2 for 4 with my "picks" last week, I'm almost embarrassed to try again. :o But here goes.

Dartmouth at Cornell: Based on Cornell's upset of Princeton last week and the teams' relative performances against Harvard, I have to go with the Big Red, 21-6.

Yale at Brown: The Bears still have an outside shot at a share of the Ivy title, but they need some help. Brown will help themselves by beating Yale in an upset special, 17-16.

Columbia at Harvard: The Crimson will prevail at home, 28-7, before Harvard's year-ending tests against Penn and Yale.

Penn at Princeton: HarvardWorship is correct that this will be a very tough game. Penn can likewise get a share of the Ivy title, but the Quakers will need to win this one if they have any prayer. God does not hear that prayer: Princeton 19, Penn 14.

I like Dartmouth over Cornell. Both teams are inconsistent and I think this is the week for Dartmouth up and Cornell down.

Yale over Brown. May be more of a homer pick, but I think Yale has more talent. I am worried about our pass defense though. If Brown is hot through the air it could be a long day. Yale needs to control the ball.

Harvard is a no-brainer.

Penn over Princeton. Princeton will be a little down and Penn bounces back after two OT losses.

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I like Dartmouth over Cornell. Both teams are inconsistent and I think this is the week for Dartmouth up and Cornell down.

Yale over Brown. May be more of a homer pick, but I think Yale has more talent. I am worried about our pass defense though. If Brown is hot through the air it could be a long day. Yale needs to control the ball.

Harvard is a no-brainer.

Penn over Princeton. Princeton will be a little down and Penn bounces back after two OT losses.

Well, bulldog, we disagree on 3 of the 4 games. If you get 'em right, YOU can start next week's thread!:D

bulldog10jw
October 30th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Well, bulldog, we disagree on 3 of the 4 games. If you get 'em right, YOU can start next week's thread!:D

Well, last week I think, we agreed on all of them, although I was more inclined to see the Cornell upset, even though I did go with the Tigers. I would be perfectly happy if all your picks, except one, were correct this week.:)

I don't need to specify which one, do I.:D

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Well, last week I think, we agreed on all of them, although I was more inclined to see the Cornell upset, even though I did go with the Tigers. I would be perfectly happy if all your picks, except one, were correct this week.:)

I don't need to specify which one, do I.:D

Actually, I had Yale in my Top 25. I wanted three Ivies to be ranked. Maybe next week!:nod:

Harvard Worship
October 30th, 2006, 08:02 PM

I think these picks are more likely. Penn's a tough bunch, and they're a proud bunch, and I think that since they were the class of the league for most of the past decade it's just not conceivable they'd lose a third close ivy game in a row. Plus, if you think they're fired up now, wait until they've lost that third game in a row. I wouldn't want to have to play THAT Penn team in two weeks...

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I think these picks are more likely. Penn's a tough bunch, and they're a proud bunch, and I think that since they were the class of the league for most of the past decade it's just not conceivable they'd lose a third close ivy game in a row. Plus, if you think they're fired up now, wait until they've lost that third game in a row. I wouldn't want to have to play THAT Penn team in two weeks...

I respectfully disagree. If Princeton wins on 11/4, thus knocking Penn totally out of the race, I think they'll fold like a cheap tent in a strong breeze against Harvard on 11/11. Penn will be revitalized if they beat the Tigers, but not if they lose. Look at last year: Harvard creamed Penn after the Quakers had lost consecutive games to Brown and Princeton.

ngineer
October 30th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Actually, I had Yale in my Top 25. I wanted three Ivies to be ranked. Maybe next week!:nod:

I ranked Harvard #15, Yale #21 and Princeton #23.

YaleFootballFan
October 31st, 2006, 12:06 PM
Dartmouth at Cornell: Once again, we see Cornell get off to a slow start and pick up at the midway point of the season. The Big Red roll in this one, 35-14, and get to .500.

Yale at Brown: Brown has been Yale's nemesis, winning 5 of the last 7 against the Elis. Yale is taking Brown very seriously and is using the "one game at a time" line this week. As long as the Elis don't look ahead to Princeton, Yale wins. If not, it could be a long afternoon in Providence. I say Yale, 28-20.

Columbia at Harvard: Columbia has a good defense and will hold the Crimson, but it won't be enough. Harvard prevails 21-7.

Penn at Princeton: A close game that I can see going down to the wire. Princeton survives, 21-19.

Harvard Worship
October 31st, 2006, 08:06 PM
I respectfully disagree. If Princeton wins on 11/4, thus knocking Penn totally out of the race, I think they'll fold like a cheap tent in a strong breeze against Harvard on 11/11. Penn will be revitalized if they beat the Tigers, but not if they lose. Look at last year: Harvard creamed Penn after the Quakers had lost consecutive games to Brown and Princeton.

ah yes. At the danger of impersonating a famous Yalie, I flip-flop. Go Tigers!

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2006, 08:13 AM
ah yes. At the danger of impersonating a famous Yalie, I flip-flop. Go Tigers!

And no new taxes!:D

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Well, after today's craziness, let's see where things stand. Penn and Brown are out of the Ivy race. Possibilities are as follows:

1. If Yale wins out, they win the title outright.
2. If Harvard wins out and Princeton wins out, Harvard and Princeton tie.
3. If Harvard wins out and Yale beats Princeton, Harvard and Yale tie.
4. If Princeton wins out and Yale beats Harvard, Yale and Princeton tie.

Hold onto your hats!

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Harvard's Dawson now over 1000 rushing yards for the fourth straight year. He only needs about 53 more to beat Ed Marinaro's career Ivy rushing record.:nod:

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Well, after today's craziness, let's see where things stand. Penn and Brown are out of the Ivy race. Possibilities are as follows:

1. If Yale wins out, they win the title outright.
2. If Harvard wins out and Princeton wins out, Harvard and Princeton tie.
3. If Harvard wins out and Yale beats Princeton, Harvard and Yale tie.
4. If Princeton wins out and Yale beats Harvard, Yale and Princeton tie.

Hold onto your hats!

Since Yale hasn't been in this position for a while, I'm going to enjoy this. It's funny, before the season started, I would have taken 7-3 for Yale in a heartbeat. Now, it would be a disaster.

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Harvard's Dawson now over 1000 rushing yards for the fourth straight year. He only needs about 53 more to beat Ed Marinaro's career Ivy rushing record.:nod:

I'll be glad to see him go.:smiley_wi

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I'll be glad to see him go.:smiley_wi

Yo, bulldog! I was trying to wake you up!;)

Does McLeod have a shot at the Ivy record if he stays healthy?

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Yo, bulldog! I was trying to wake you up!;)

Does McLeod have a shot at the Ivy record if he stays healthy?

I think McLeod is a very good back. Frankly, better than I thought he would be after last year. He really built himself up over the summer. But who knows if he is as durable as Dawson has been. Not just as far as staying healthy, but being able to take a beating and still be strong in the 4th.

Possible, not probable. That's a lot of yards.

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Dartmouth at Cornell: Once again, we see Cornell get off to a slow start and pick up at the midway point of the season. The Big Red roll in this one, 35-14, and get to .500.

Yale at Brown: Brown has been Yale's nemesis, winning 5 of the last 7 against the Elis. Yale is taking Brown very seriously and is using the "one game at a time" line this week. As long as the Elis don't look ahead to Princeton, Yale wins. If not, it could be a long afternoon in Providence. I say Yale, 28-20.

Columbia at Harvard: Columbia has a good defense and will hold the Crimson, but it won't be enough. Harvard prevails 21-7.

Penn at Princeton: A close game that I can see going down to the wire. Princeton survives, 21-19.

You were 4-0 and get to pick first in next week's thread!:hurray:

H-Y-P should all be ranked next week.:twocents:

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I never thought I would EVER feel bad for Penn, heck I even pull for Harvard against Penn.xlolx But you really have to feel for those kids the way they have lost the last three weeks. They have to be devastated. I can't imagine they can give the Crimson a game next week. They must be be feeling that they are cursed.

ngineer
November 4th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I never thought I would EVER feel bad for Penn, heck I even pull for Harvard against Penn.xlolx But you really have to feel for those kids the way they have lost the last three weeks. They have to be devastated. I can't imagine they can give the Crimson a game next week. They must be be feeling that they are cursed.

I agree. I despise Penn for breaking their contract with us and refusing to schedule into the future. But I do feel bad for the kids on losing such heartbreaking close games this year. It can drive one looney to think about it. If they can keep their heads, they could make life miserable for their remaining opponents.

bulldog10jw
November 5th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Did anyone see that they had highlights of Penn-Princeton on ESPN last night. Both Sportscenter and College Football Final showed them.

ngineer
November 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM
From what I read, this is the first time ANY D-I team has played in overtime three games in a row. Of course, Penn also becomes the first team to lose all three.
I did not see the tape, but the report says that the Princeton running back was clearly stopped twice but no one blew the whistle and he flipped the ball back to the QB who then ran to the endzone corner. Any see this?

Pards Rule
November 5th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Heard about it....was he stopped or down? Big difference!

bulldog10jw
November 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Heard about it....was he stopped or down? Big difference!

The one time I saw the replay, and it was pretty quick, it looked like he was stopped and pushed back, but never left his feet.

Pards Rule
November 5th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Then why would folks be looking for a whistle? Youre down when youre down, right?

YaleFootballFan
November 5th, 2006, 01:30 PM
The one time I saw the replay, and it was pretty quick, it looked like he was stopped and pushed back, but never left his feet.

I didn't see the play, but I heard Penn coach Al Bagnoli was livid at the officials for not blowing the play dead.

YaleFootballFan
November 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
You were 4-0 and get to pick first in next week's thread!:hurray:

H-Y-P should all be ranked next week.:twocents:

Woo Hoo! :thumbsup:

Harvard Worship
November 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Then why would folks be looking for a whistle? Youre down when youre down, right?

I watch games from two leagues religiously, and the "momentum stopped" rule is one where there appears to be an enormous difference in enforcement between leagues.

In the PAC-10 the refs are instructed *not* to blow a play dead until the ball carrier hits the ground or is pushed back a boatload of yards. And I mean a *lot* of yards. I've seen RBs pushed back seemingly 10 yards, be stripped of the ball, and have the fumble stand.

In the Ivy league you usually see the refs blow the play dead when the ball carrier is pushed back only a few yards. But in my experience he still has to be pushed back. He can't just be "stopped." If "momentum stopped" was actually the rule, Clifton Dawson would have about half the yards he does. This is why tackling is the most important skill for a football player. You can't just touch somebody -- you have to bring them down.

ngineer
November 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Didn't see the film. From what I heard, the Princeton was pushed back a couple yards and then flipped the ball backward to the qb...

Ivytalk
November 5th, 2006, 08:14 PM

It's OK to hate Penn! My therapist says so!:D

Seriously, the wind should be out of Penn's sails. If Harvard hangs onto the ball and cuts down on the penalties they had against Columbia (12 for 98 yards), they should win.

Harvard Worship
November 5th, 2006, 11:44 PM
If Harvard hangs onto the ball and cuts down on the penalties they had against Columbia (12 for 98 yards), they should win.

What on earth was going on with the D-line for all those penalties? The WHRB commentators thought that Columbia must have some really neat trick for drawing folks off-sides. It must be quite something. But I guess if you can't run against us, you have to get yards some other way.