PDA

View Full Version : MONMOUTH!

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM
If anyone is seriously considering USD for an at-large, then you cannot forget Monmouth!

09/02/06 at Fordham W, 23-9
09/09/06 MORGAN STATE W, 26-9
09/16/06 ST. PETER'S COLLEGE W, 36-12
09/23/06 at Colgate W, 17-12
09/30/06 STONY BROOK* L, 17-36
10/07/06 SACRED HEART* W, 24-0
10/14/06 at Wagner* W, 28-7
10/21/06 at Robert Morris* W, 16-7
10/28/06 CENTRAL CONNECTICUT* W, 19-13
* denotes conference game

-----
The Hawks have held 8 of their 9 opponents to 13 points or less.

Monmouth has 3 wins vs AQ-conference teams (Fordham, Morgan State, Colgate).

To date, MU has outscored its opponents 206-105.

The Hawks still must face a former nationally ranked Albany team to close the season.

----

If the Monmouth finishes the season at 10-1, how can anyone say that USD has a better "playoff resume?"

I'm not suggesting that the Hawks deserve an at-large yet, but I am saying they are more deserving than San Diego!

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Personally I don't think either school is deserving, neither school played anybody from a power league & if I had to differentiate, at least San Diego has just killed everyone they've played & are undefeated, even though they'll only have 10 games on their resume with some true cupcakes.

Stick to the Gridiron Classic or whatever you call it.

gr8ness97
October 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I'd give a 1-AA West provisional school a bid before a Pioneer/NEC school with that kind of schedule...

Pard4Life
October 30th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I agree Monmouth is more deserving than San Diego and I even have the Hawks ranked in my Top25.... however I still think that the one loss hurts their efforts. However, the truth is that the NEC is not far now from getting an auto-bid. Of all the teams that are projected to make an at-large, they are still more deserving than San Diego or Monmouth right now...

UAalum72
October 30th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I'd give a 1-AA West provisional school a bid before a Pioneer/NEC school with that kind of schedule...
Nobody from the MEAC has cred to talk about anybody else's non-conference schedule.

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Personally I don't think either school is deserving, neither school played anybody from a power league & if I had to differentiate, at least San Diego has just killed everyone they've played & are undefeated, even though they'll only have 10 games on their resume with some true cupcakes.

Stick to the Gridiron Classic or whatever you call it.

That is just stupidity! And I'd expect better from a UD fan :nonono2:

dbackjon
October 30th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Not saying either should get a bid, but currently, Monmouth has a much better case for a bid than USD.

WMTribe90
October 30th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Monmouth cracked my top 25 this week, but I can't see them making the playoffs with a loss and their current SOS. Can't see taking Monmoouth over an 8-3 A10 or Gateway squad.

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM
]I agree Monmouth is more deserving than San Diego and I even have the Hawks ranked in my Top25[/B].... however I still think that the one loss hurts their efforts. However, the truth is that the NEC is not far now from getting an auto-bid. Of all the teams that are projected to make an at-large, they are still more deserving than San Diego or Monmouth right now...

Ok. I agree there will likely be more deserving teams of an at-large than Monmouth come the end of the season...

... but San Diego is not one of them!

MplsBison
October 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Giving playoff access to a non scholarship team is something that should not be considered a good thing for the PCS at this time.

danefan
October 30th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I agree. I don't think Monmouth should make the playoffs, even going 10-1.

BUT their resume at 10-1 is much much better than USD at 10-0.
If Monmouth does end up 10-1 they would have won at Albany and Central Conn., both teams ranked in the top 25 this year and both with wins over power conference opponents (Delaware, GSU, Lehigh, etc.).

Agreed that the loss to Stony Brook hurts, especially in light of SBU horrendous out of conference performance this year.

But put San Diego's schedule next to Monmouth's with that loss at SBU and Monmouth's is still superior.

Once again, I don't think either team should make it but it seems like all the stars are alligning for a surprise at-large this year.

RabidRabbit
October 30th, 2006, 09:20 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Bison/Bunny/Aggies/2 Bears team appreciate the sentiment.

It a :bawling: :bawling: shame that an likely undefeated vs IAA team with wins over Poly, UC Davis, Ga Southern, Northeastern, SFA, MS Valley St, is likely to be sitting home rather than playing for the NC. But that's the way it's likely to be. If they have a loss, it'll be to a GWFC opponent.

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2006, 09:24 AM
It doesn't make sense to be but I guess there is a credible reason, but why do schools like NDSU that make the jump to 1-AA have to wait to make the playoffs?? Are they afraid they'll bring in 30 1-A transfers?

Ruler 79
October 30th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Monmouth/SDU/ and hell, even an 8-3 Albany team is more qualified then A PL team(no disrepect to the PL) this season. It won't happen but I think Monmouth if they go 10-1 has a better chance or should be considered before SDU IMHO.

Dane96
October 30th, 2006, 09:37 AM
While I think Monmouth played a stronger schedule, I can see the merits in bluehen's argument.

Dane96
October 30th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Giving playoff access to a non scholarship team is something that should not be considered a good thing for the PCS at this time.

Smart comment two of the post. MONMOUTH IS A SCHOLARSHIP (limited) football program (we can give out 30 rides in the NEC).:nono:

blukeys
October 30th, 2006, 09:51 AM

If Monmouth does end up 10-1 they would have won at Albany and Central Conn., both teams ranked in the top 25 this year and both with wins over power conference opponents (Delaware, GSU, Lehigh, etc.).

Agreed that the loss to Stony Brook hurts, especially in light of SBU horrendous out of conference performance this year.

But put San Diego's schedule next to Monmouth's with that loss at SBU and Monmouth's is still superior.

Once again, I don't think either team should make it but it seems like all the stars are alligning for a surprise at-large this year.

Agreed. The NEC is an overall tougher conference than the pitiful Pioneer. Albany, SBU, CCSU, and Monmouth have all stepped up and then started to beat each other up thus delivering losses. This is the pattern throughout all of I-AA "Power Conferences" Where one off quarter costs you an undefeated season. Momouth deserves consideration for the top 25 and if 10-1 at the end of the season deserves an invite before USD.

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I agree with you. If the question is who has a better "resume," then I think the answer is clear. Monmouth is more deserving than San Diego!

San Diego Toreros
Sep 1 - W vs. Azusa Pacific, 27-0 (NAIA team)
Sep 9 - W vs. Dixie State, 41-7 (D-II team)
Sep 16 - W at Yale, 43-17 (Ivy League leader)
Sep 23 - Open
Sep 30 - W at Davidson, 50-21 (non-scholly)
Oct 7 - W vs. Butler, 56-3 (non-scholly, beat RMU)
Oct 14 - W vs. Valparaiso, 68-7 (non-scholly)
Oct 21 - W at Drake, 37-0 (non-scholly)
Oct 28 - W vs. Morehead State, 44-21 (non-scholly)
Nov 4 - at Jacksonville, 12:30 PM (non-scholly)
Nov 11 - vs. Dayton, 9:00 PM (non-scholly, beat RMU)
Nov 18 - Open
***Nov 25 - at UC Davis, 4:00 PM (after Playoff selection)***

-----

Monmouth Hawks
Sep 2 - W at Fordham, 23-9 (Patroit League)
Sep 9 - W vs. Morgan State, 26-9 (MEAC)
Sep 16 - W vs. St Peters, 36-12 (non-scholly)
Sep 23 - W at Colgate, 17-12 (Patroit League)
Sep 30 - L vs. Stony Brook, 17-36 (30 schollys)
Oct 7 - W vs. Sacred Heart, 24-0 (limited schollys)
Oct 14 - W at Wagner, 28-7 (limited schollys)
Oct 21 - W at Robert Morris, 16-7 (limited schollys)
Oct 28 - W vs. Cent Conn St, 19-13 (Beat then-ranked GSU, was ranked at #19)
Nov 4 - vs. St Francis-PA, 1:00 PM (limited schollys)
Nov 11 - at Albany, 4:00 PM (beat Lehigh & Delaware, was ranked at #23)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Monmouth/SDU/ and hell, even an 8-3 Albany team is more qualified then A PL team(no disrepect to the PL) this season. It won't happen but I think Monmouth if they go 10-1 has a better chance or should be considered before SDU IMHO.

:rolleyes: xcoffeex

What we should be talking about is how, should they win out, Delaware State (9-2) and Holy Cross (8-3) easily should get in over both of these two PFL/NEC schools.

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2006, 10:16 AM

What we should be talking about is how, should they win out, Delaware State (9-2) and Holy Cross (8-3) easily should get in over both of these two PFL/NEC schools.

I'd agree that I'd take a 2nd MEAC team over San Diego or Monmouth.

UAalum72
October 30th, 2006, 10:22 AM

The same Delaware State whose only non-conference wins will be over 2-7 St. Francis and (maybe) 3-6 (in D-II) Concord to go with a 20-point loss to 4-4 Northwestern St.?

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 10:24 AM
The same Delaware State whose only non-conference wins will be over 2-7 St. Francis and (maybe) 3-6 (in D-II) Concord to go with a 20-point loss to 4-4 Northwestern St.?

Good one! :nod:

DetroitFlyer
October 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Cut me a break. USD is head and shoulders above any NEC team. For crying out loud, the last place team in the PFL, Dayton, has already defeated one of the first place teams in the NEC, Robert Morris. USD did not just barely defeat Yale, they dismembered Yale. USD has now won 16 games in a row! The ONLY other team in Division I currently with the same success is some small school in central Ohio you may have heard of.... USD IS and has been ranked in everybody's top 25 for weeks now, while the NEC teams have fallen out....

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Cut me a break. USD is head and shoulders above any NEC team. For crying out loud, the last place team in the PFL, Dayton, has already defeated one of the first place teams in the NEC, Robert Morris. USD did not just barely defeat Yale, they dismembered Yale. USD has now won 16 games in a row! The ONLY other team in Division I currently with the same success is some small school in central Ohio you may have heard of.... USD IS and has been ranked in everybody's top 25 for weeks now, while the NEC teams have fallen out....

First, we are only looking at 2006. Anything that happened last year means nothing for at-large selection!

Second, according to the highly regarded GPI, the NEC is rated as the tougher conference than the PFL :p

Third, the fact that 3 different NEC teams has received top-25 votes, suggests that the NEC is stronger and more balanced than the PFL.

Ruler 79
October 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
The sad fact of the matter is that if Holy Cross finishes at 7-4 or 6-5 and wins the PL they will be selected instead of Monmouth and USD. I was making the point that even if Albany finished at 8-3 they would be more deserving. None of the above teams will be considered....too bad. I would like to see what a limited scholarship team could do in the big dance.

GOTOREROS
October 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
First, we are only looking at 2006. Anything that happened last year means nothing for at-large selection!

Second, according to the highly regarded GPI, the NEC is rated as the tougher conference than the PFL :p

Third, the fact that 3 different NEC teams has received top-25 votes, suggests that the NEC is stronger and more balanced than the PFL.

OK, use this year where USD has been ranked ahead of the NEC schools the entire year basically in every poll.......even better case for USD over an NEC school....you would have ignore almost every poll out there to put an NEC team in over USD.....never gonna happen...but, it's moot for both conferences anyway...

GOTOREROS

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Spare me

October 30th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Spare me:lmao: You mean "SPEAR ME." :lmao:

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Spare me

I know. It was more of a joke :rotateh: I don't like the GPI at all, but I just wanted to point out what its says about the PFL.

October 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM
... I don't like the GPI at all, but I just wanted to point out what its says about the PFL.OUCH! xlolx And to think I had a PFL and NEC team in my poll! :thumbsup:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2006, 11:11 AM
The sad fact of the matter is that if Holy Cross finishes at 7-4 or 6-5 and wins the PL they will be selected instead of Monmouth and USD. I was making the point that even if Albany finished at 8-3 they would be more deserving. None of the above teams will be considered....too bad. I would like to see what a limited scholarship team could do in the big dance.

:confused: Albany lost to THREE teams with losing records, including to Fordham 9-7? Holy Cross has lost to Lehigh, nationally-ranked harvard and Northeastern? Also, Holy Cross beat Fordham 28-21?

I like Albany and they have done a fantastic job this year, but MORE deserving than Holy Cross? I don't think that's clear-cut at all.

DetroitFlyer
October 30th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I am generally a believer in the GPI. I also agree that as a conference, the NEC is better than the PFL this year. But, I still maintain, that USD is by far, the best team from the PFL, MAAC or NEC! Like it or not, USD should be in a good position for an at large bid. A team from one of these three conferences has never been rated as high in the GPI, ranked in the top 25 of ALL polls, been on a 16 game winning streak, blown out EVERY opponent, and had a quality win over a very good Ivy League team. I for one am looking forward to seeing how USD fares against Montana or anyone else in the playoffs. As I've said before, if they win, I will be one of the very few folks not located in San Diego or an alum of USD, that will not be suprised!:nod:

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
OUCH! xlolx And to think I had a PFL and NEC team in my poll! :thumbsup:

Ralph,
Sorry count me in with those who say computers don't belong here.

I'm glad your judgement ranked certain teams based on results, schedule, performance, etc., but IMO rankings driven by aformula can be very questionable. I'd like to see a compsite of human polls without the computers.

BTW - I think you AGS poll (with the pollsters on this board) is possibly the best ranking available. :hurray:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I am generally a believer in the GPI. I also agree that as a conference, the NEC is better than the PFL this year. But, I still maintain, that USD is by far, the best team from the PFL, MAAC or NEC! Like it or not, USD should be in a good position for an at large bid. A team from one of these three conferences has never been rated as high in the GPI, ranked in the top 25 of ALL polls, been on a 16 game winning streak, blown out EVERY opponent, and had a quality win over a very good Ivy League team. I for one am looking forward to seeing how USD fares against Montana or anyone else in the playoffs. As I've said before, if they win, I will be one of the very few folks not located in San Diego or an alum of USD, that will not be suprised!:nod:

Detroit Flyer on 11/19:

http://www.harley.com/writing/is-there-a-santa-claus/images/no-santa.gif

October 30th, 2006, 11:16 AM
http://www.harley.com/writing/is-there-a-santa-claus/images/no-santa.gif
:lmao: Words are made to be eaten! :lmao:

Dane96
October 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM

See, here is my problem with certain people from the "New Guard" (I know some of you love that).

YOU HAVE NO ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE OF THIS, SANS YALE. Period, end of story. Heck, the NEC may suck at this time next year...it is all cyclical. Fact remains, USD, hands down the class of the PFL, has played exactly ONE GOOD TEAM...YALE.

The Drake game...g-d bless Drake, however I am not sold on their lofty status as a bench mark win for USD. I know all about Drake (awesome fans...great game we had a few years ago with you guys!!!) and I am not sure that if USD, DRAKE, ALBANY, RMU, SBU, CCSU, and MONMOUTH were all in the same league...Drake wouldnt be near the bottom of that pack.

Now, let's compare the fact that the NEC owns MULTIPLE (yes, more than five) wins against normally superior leagues to USD's sole victory over a top league (YALE)...and you have a league yet to prove itself.

Granted, USD may absolutely smack around an NEC team when it comes down to it in Dec., however you must take a body of work...and not one or two games.

THIS IS THE SAME MERRY GO ROUND. The NEC scheduled and beat teams they needed to. THE PFL has not...PERIOD.

You cant cry sour grapes or proclaim a team to be better than an entire other league based on ONE GAME...because that is the only thing the PFL can hang its hat on.

As for the wins over RMU...they were great for the PFL...however RMU is much different today then they were in the first few weeks of the season. IT is BY FAR THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE...with a heck of a lot of talent. They have jelled nicely over the last few weeks.

I just have to laugh when I hear "USD IS BETTER THAN ANYONE IN THE NEC," when both our non-conference and IN-CONFERENCE schedule is better THIS YEAR THAN USD OR THE PFL!

October 30th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Ralph,
Sorry count me in with those who say computers don't belong here.
I'm glad your judgement ranked certain teams based on results, schedule, performance, etc., but IMO rankings driven by aformula can be very questionable. I'd like to see a compsite of human polls without the computers...I like the mix but you bring up a good idea, add a column with the poll's number like we already have with the computer "ARC." Good call! Still USD will be ranked highest among GC conferences.

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 11:22 AM

What? xidiotx

Many here question the GPI and certain computer rankings. There is no way to say that it is definitive proof of playoof worthyness. The fact is that USD has played 2 sub I-AA teams, and the PFL is the arguably one of the weakest conferences in the subdivision. IMO - That is something you are not fully accounting for in your assessment of USD. A BLOWOUT win at Dixie State menas NOTHING!!!!!

This season you have only six I-AA wins to date. Of those six wins, only Yale is considered "very good." What you are saying is that 1 win defines a season, when in reality it is your complete body of work!

I don't care if USD won 44 games in a row. We are talking about the 2006 season only!!!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

October 30th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Well the GPI last week said the conferences were not far apart though the PFL still trailed despite having the top rated team...

13. Northeast (65.44)
47. Monmouth (40.56)
67. Albany (52.44)
68. Central Conn (53.56)
76. Stony Brook (58.11)
92. Robert Morris (69.22)
108. Wagner (80.33)
110. Sacred Ht (82.00)
118. St Francis (87.33)

14. Independent (68.97)

15. Pioneer (69.82)
14. San Diego (14.89)
65. Drake (51.89)
98. Davidson (73.11)
107. Jacksonville (78.67)
111. Dayton (82.44)
112. Butler (84.22)
114. Morehead St (85.33)
119. Valparaiso (88.00)

16. Metro Atlantic (82.20)

89Hen
October 30th, 2006, 11:33 AM
"New Guard"
xlolx :bow: :bow: :bow:

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Well the GPI last week said the conferences were not far apart though the PFL still trailed despite having the top rated team...

13. Northeast (65.44)
47. Monmouth (40.56)
67. Albany (52.44)
68. Central Conn (53.56)
76. Stony Brook (58.11)
92. Robert Morris (69.22)
108. Wagner (80.33)
110. Sacred Ht (82.00)
118. St Francis (87.33)

14. Independent (68.97)

15. Pioneer (69.82)
14. San Diego (14.89)
65. Drake (51.89)
98. Davidson (73.11)
107. Jacksonville (78.67)
111. Dayton (82.44)
112. Butler (84.22)
114. Morehead St (85.33)
119. Valparaiso (88.00)

16. Metro Atlantic (82.20)

OK Ralph, but if you drop the higest and lowest team from each conference here is your new average:

NEC = 65.94 - Taking out Monmouth and SFPA provides an almost identical number to the current NEC average. This indicates a well balanced conference.

PFL = 75.94 - Taking out USD and Valpo raises the GPI almost 6 points, increasing the gap between the PFL and NEC. USD's very low GPI has a statistically signifigant impact on the PFL's conference GPI. This conference is weaker than their current GPI states.

Dane96
October 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I am sure your analysis will be tossed for some lovely invariable excuse.

Good job, as per usual, Ace!!!

NFLCB2
October 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM
So monmouth is left out of the top 25 again maybe they should start scheduling all cupcakes and move into the MAAC where the Dukes will be their only challenge

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I am sure your analysis will be tossed for some lovely invariable excuse.

Good job, as per usual, Ace!!!

Thanks Dane! I think 99% of NEC fans have a tempered reality for the accomplishments of our conference.

There is no doubt there is much to be proud of. We have some great wins over the last 2 seasons, but we also know there is much more to do. We need to keep winning the big games and keep the ball rolling!

-----
How about these great facts:

2003 I-AA Semifinalist and 2005 Patriot League Champs COLGATE is 0-2 vs. the NEC the past 2 seasons (2005 loss to CCSU and 2006 loss to Monmouth - both at home).

2003 I-AA Natl' Champs DELAWARE lost at home to Albany in 2006.

Six-time I-AA National Champions GEORGIA SOUTHERN lost at home to CCSU in 2006.

2004 playoff participant LEHIGH lost to Albany at home in 2006.

Monmouth has 3 wins over AQ-conference teams (Fordham, Morgan State, and Colgate) this year.

The NEC is 6-6 vs. the Patriot League in the past 2 seasons.

-----

San Diego has 4 wins in 4 years (2 over Yale and 2 over Holy Cross).

-----

We know what we have done is pretty amazing, but we also know that we must continue to improve and get more wins each year. Over the past 2 seasons, I put our accomplishments up against what was expected and say we have risen faster and higher than anybody thought!

Yes, we have arrived, the question is will we stay?

alumNEC
October 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM
As far as winning-streaks are concerned... Most teams (not all) in Iaa could gain a long winning-streak if they scheduled sub-par teams... Bragging about a 16-0 streak is great, I would do the same no matter who my team played, however it does not mean anything if you use it as ammunition for saying you are better than other conferences, or to get in the playoffs... Teams schedule games that will increase their chances of going to the playoffs and to better their team (even getting demolished by a great team will in turn make your team better)... Everyone knows that teams like USD cannot do anything about their schedule this season, but that is no excuse to push that fact aside... That's like saying, "Hey, we had no idea we were going to be that good this year, if we knew that we would have schedule tougher teams"... USD has had an incredible year, and so have several NEC teams, "Mid-major" schools have opened a lot of eyes to the level of their competition... However, no mid-major school deserves to make the playoffs this year, next year may certainly be different, but the past and future do not matter right now, all that matters is the present... And at present time there are MANY more deserving teams for the playoffs ahead of USD/MU/UA, etc...... but there's always next year

UMass922
October 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Excellent post, aceinthehole. A 10-1 Monmouth would indeed have a stronger resume than an 8-0 San Diego. It's unlikely that either team will have one of the eight best resumes of teams eligible for an at-large berth, but if it came down to one or the other, Monmouth would (or at least should) get the bid.

Ruler 79
October 30th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I hate to say this because teams like Wagner, SFU, SHU, and maybe RMU will have a problem. THEY NEED TO RAMP THE NEC UP TO 50 Scholarships and then they would get an AQ. On top of this they would need to schedule A-10, and other power conferences to get a bid. With 50 rides and 3 OOC games against fully funded programs or PL teams then we would be in without question. Now can it be done????????

Dane96
October 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Just to clarify: The 50 scholarship or minimum spending $$ number are just proposals yet to be ratified.

DetroitFlyer
October 30th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I wonder if USD’s success this year, along with the NEC’s success will cause the old guard to rethink that proposal or accelerate and fast track it in order to avoid the possibility of losing to a “non–scholarship or limited scholarship” team in the playoffs? Frankly, the success of USD and the NEC this year should point out to any rational person that you do not have to fund your program at some minimum level to put together a very competitive, I-AA, team. Yeah, it certainly does not hurt to fund out the ears, but we all know that funding is not an absolute guarantee of success!! It should also clearly point out that the current playoff selection process and even the number of teams in the playoffs is very outdated and needs to be updated lest we become as subjective as the BCS!

dbackjon
October 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I wonder if USD’s success this year, along with the NEC’s success will cause the old guard to rethink that proposal or accelerate and fast track it in order to avoid the possibility of losing to a “non–scholarship or limited scholarship” team in the playoffs? Frankly, the success of USD and the NEC this year should point out to any rational person that you do not have to fund your program at some minimum level to put together a very competitive, I-AA, team. Yeah, it certainly does not hurt to fund out the ears, but we all know that funding is not an absolute guarantee of success!! It should also clearly point out that the current playoff selection process and even the number of teams in the playoffs is very outdated and needs to be updated lest we become as subjective as the BCS!

Actually, San Diego's success says nothing except if you schedule a bunch of pansies, and you have a decent team, you can go undefeated and whine about it.

No one knows how competitive San Diego's team is, which is a shame for both I-AA football in general, and San Diego in particular.

And the NEC success has come after they started adding funding/schollies.

A non-schollie team CAN NOT COMPETE at the highest level of I-AA football, and there has been ZERO evidence to change that thinking.

DetroitFlyer
October 30th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I guess that you simply choose to ignore EVERY SINGLE I-AA poll in the land that very clearly says that USD can compete with ANYONE in I-AA! Glad you know so much, and the rest of the I-AA world knows nothing....:nod:

danefan
October 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Actually, San Diego's success says nothing except if you schedule a bunch of pansies, and you have a decent team, you can go undefeated and whine about it.

No one knows how competitive San Diego's team is, which is a shame for both I-AA football in general, and San Diego in particular.

A non-schollie team CAN NOT COMPETE at the highest level of I-AA football, and there has been ZERO evidence to change that thinking.

Just to be clear, the NEC's success is not really due to scholarships. Few if any of those scholarships players on NEC rosters have even played this year.

I think you can have a good year every once in a while at the non-scholly level (USD in 05-06, Duquense in 2002, etc.) but its the ability to win tough schedules on a year-in, year-out basis that separates scholly from non-scholly teams.
Winning a consistently tough schedule, which, by the way, San Diego has not done...ever, is the real test. I think its pretty safe to say that without schollys or the equivalent thereof, you are at an insurmountable disadvantage.

dbackjon
October 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I guess that you simply choose to ignore EVERY SINGLE I-AA poll in the land that very clearly says that USD can compete with ANYONE in I-AA! Glad you know so much, and the rest of the I-AA world knows nothing....:nod:

Polls are just that. People see the undefeated record, and with every USD/PFL fan on here whining about it, that they need to put USD in the poll somewhere.

And no, I do not think USD is a top 35 team. They'd struggle to be above .500 in the Big Sky, and would be dead last in the Great West.

GOTOREROS
October 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Which is why they are changing this website's name from "AnyGivenSaturday" to "OnlyIfYouHave63Scholarships".....about time too as the hypocrisy was starting to get to me.....

GOTOREROS

Dane96
October 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Jon...partially correct. The NEC teams are, on average, at 8 rides with 20 players getting them. On average, a total of 3-4 of those players have seen any time this year. Most of these kids are red-shirts this year...and have not seen the field.

The NEC results, believe it or not, are based on good coaching and playing up (we get recruits because we play the big boys). That being said, we did have 12-15 grant-in-aid counters prior to this at each school...something the PFL never had.

Dane96
October 30th, 2006, 03:22 PM
OOPs...sorry didnt see Danefan's reply.

DetroitFlyer: NO, I do not take stock in polls that have USD in the Top 20 based on ONE GAME. You know what, let's take one game and toss it back at ya'....how do you explain the only 23 point win against LOWLY Morehead (1-8). If we are going to hang USD's hat on the Yale win, and BLOWOUT WINS over bad teams...we can also point to a "close shave" by USD standards against one of the worst teams on the schedule.

Your complaints...are misguided. USD did this to themselves...period. I feel for the players, even Harbaugh to some extent, but it is the admins to blame...not the PLAYOFF structure.

AggiePride
October 30th, 2006, 03:27 PM

You should try scheduling instead of whining.

It generally works better and you will get more respect.

Which San Diego high school is on USD's chopping block this week?

Ruler 79
October 30th, 2006, 03:44 PM
While I think San Diego is a good team I think that if Monmouth, CCSU, or Albany played their schedule they would have an 18 game winning streak as well. The question is if San Diego played Delaware or Georgia Southern how would they have done?????? This year it seems they would do ok. But who knows.

bkrownd
October 31st, 2006, 02:16 AM

*AHEM* Wisconsin-LaCrosse *AHEM* ;)

Lots of whining in this thread by folks who're sour that their pet teams are going to finish 4th place in their conferences. :nono:

October 31st, 2006, 02:48 AM
uhhhhhhh

2006 Northeast Conference Standings
Through games of Oct 30, 2006

Conference Points Overall Points
Team W L T For Opp Pct W L T For Opp Pct
---- - - - --- --- --- - - - --- --- ---
Monmouth............ 4 1 0 104 63 .800 8 1 0 206 105 .889
Albany.............. 4 1 0 146 60 .800 6 3 0 208 118 .667
Robert Morris....... 4 1 0 110 62 .800 6 3 0 187 124 .667
Stony Brook......... 4 1 0 143 100 .800 4 5 0 165 234 .444
Central Connecticut. 2 3 0 133 88 .400 6 3 0 286 146 .667
Saint Francis (PA).. 1 4 0 75 199 .200 2 7 0 172 330 .222
Sacred Heart........ 1 4 0 73 124 .200 2 7 0 154 217 .222
Wagner.............. 0 5 0 40 128 .000 4 5 0 157 153 .444

aceinthehole
October 31st, 2006, 08:32 AM
uhhhhhhh

2006 Northeast Conference Standings
Through games of Oct 30, 2006

Conference Points Overall Points
Team W L T For Opp Pct W L T For Opp Pct
---- - - - --- --- --- - - - --- --- ---
Monmouth............ 4 1 0 104 63 .800 8 1 0 206 105 .889
Albany.............. 4 1 0 146 60 .800 6 3 0 208 118 .667
Robert Morris....... 4 1 0 110 62 .800 6 3 0 187 124 .667
Stony Brook......... 4 1 0 143 100 .800 4 5 0 165 234 .444
Central Connecticut. 2 3 0 133 88 .400 6 3 0 286 146 .667
Saint Francis (PA).. 1 4 0 75 199 .200 2 7 0 172 330 .222
Sacred Heart........ 1 4 0 73 124 .200 2 7 0 154 217 .222
Wagner.............. 0 5 0 40 128 .000 4 5 0 157 153 .444

What does uhhhhh mean? :)

and more importantly, how do you do that text box?

Pard4Life
October 31st, 2006, 08:40 AM
Robert Morris is 4-1? :confused: Of this bunch, I hope Monmouth wins out... too bad Albany and CCSU are in the tank.. this is a tougher confernce than it appears... Stony Brook is nothing to sneeze at.. although that G'town loss is puzzling..

dbackjon
October 31st, 2006, 09:06 AM
and more importantly, how do you do that text box?

Yes - inquiring minds would like to know.

Seahawks Fan
October 31st, 2006, 09:40 AM
What does the "uhhhhh" mean?

If Monmouth runs the table I think they deserve an invite to the playoffs.

alumNEC
October 31st, 2006, 09:47 AM
Monmouth gaining an invite would be great, however I do not believe they quite deserve it... Actually, I will rephrase that, there are MORE deserving teams than them... Not to mention they still have Albany (final game of season) on their schedule, and depending on which Albany team shows up that is a dangerous game, so they may not even win out, it is best for them to not even dream about the playoffs and just worry about this conference... There are several deserving mid-major teams for playoff considerations, but there is a big difference between consideration and an actual bid... Next year we may be speaking differently, we'll see who beats who (and who schedules who)... But as for this season, MORE deserving teams from other conferences should and most likely will receive the bids

BobbyMo
October 31st, 2006, 10:02 AM
Robert Morris is 4-1? :confused: Of this bunch, I hope Monmouth wins out... too bad Albany and CCSU are in the tank.. this is a tougher confernce than it appears... Stony Brook is nothing to sneeze at.. although that G'town loss is puzzling..

After having seen CCSU, Monmouth and Stony Brook in person I think that Monmouth is best overall team. Offensive balance, good defense, very good qb.

RMU probably should have lost to CCSU, but I think they could have beat Monmouth xidiotx xidiotx but exactly the opposite happened. Thats football i guess.

After seeing RMU beat Stony Brook, I was suprised they had the conference record that they have. But we played them in the rain and very strong winds.

Albanys next two games will decide how the conference shakes out, hopefully go 1-1 with a win over Monmouth :thumbsup: I think CCSU will beat Stony Brook in the last game of the season. It will be fun to see how things end up.

BTW Stony Brook has a awesome stadium. :nod: :nod:

alumNEC
October 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM
BobbyMo, interesting post (in a good way)... Watching albany play (right now in the season) I have to give my vote to them, their offense is finally clicking and I believe they have the best defensive unit in the NEC although there are definitely other contenders... Earlier this year the defense basically had to carry them, but now that their offense is on fire I do not see them losing again, although I do believe their games against RMU and MU coming up may be some of the most exciting games people may see all year... It will be great to see how this winds up... just my 2 cents

aceinthehole
October 31st, 2006, 10:37 AM
After having seen CCSU, Monmouth and Stony Brook in person I think that Monmouth is best overall team. Offensive balance, good defense, very good qb.
RMU probably should have lost to CCSU, but I think they could have beat Monmouth xidiotx xidiotx but exactly the opposite happened. Thats football i guess.

After seeing RMU beat Stony Brook, I was suprised they had the conference record that they have. But we played them in the rain and very strong winds.

Albanys next two games will decide how the conference shakes out, hopefully go 1-1 with a win over Monmouth :thumbsup: I think CCSU will beat Stony Brook in the last game of the season. It will be fun to see how things end up.

BTW Stony Brook has a awesome stadium. :nod: :nod:

I agree. Monmouth is well balanced. They have a great QB, a very solid reciver, and a good defense.

Albany has the best defense in the NEC overall, but generally lacks on the other side of the ball at the skill positions. They have gotten better this year and if they beat Monmouth this is a moot point, but I think MU is the slightly better team.

CCSU is good, solid team, but is not as good as MU or UA. We have a great RB, but with a rookie QB and poor offensive play calling we don't match up as well vs. the top 2. Our defense is very good though, just as good as Monmouth's and just behind UA.

RMU is young, but is pretty talented. If their QB doesn't make mistakes they are dangerous. They also have a solid defense, but I think CCSU was the bigger and on paper "better" team. RMU won, so hat's off to them - they played well.

Now Stony Brook handed out almost 30 rides this year (compared to just 10 for most other NEC teams) and many more of their young guys are seeing the field. They are a team in transition with new schollys, a new coach, etc. but IMO they will only get better next year.

alumNEC
October 31st, 2006, 11:04 AM
All valid points Mr. Ace...

BobbyMo
October 31st, 2006, 11:17 AM
RMU is young, but is pretty talented. If their QB doesn't make mistakes they are dangerous. They also have a solid defense, but I think CCSU was the bigger and on paper "better" team. RMU won, so hat's off to them - they played well.

That is 100% correct. Although, I guess many teams can say that, but with RMU it seems we go as far as the QB takes us. He is still young though, only a sophmore. We had a transfer QB from Temple come in but I am pretty sure he hurt himself. Thankfully we have a very good defense that has kept us in many games.

I can not wait to see Albany this weekend. Hopefully RMU can hang with them. :thumbsup:

Ruler 79
October 31st, 2006, 12:01 PM
UA's Offense is coming around for a couple of reasons:

1)QB not turning the ball over as much.
2)Using 5 RB's that they rotate. All of which are gonna be fantastic.
3)The recievers are actually catching balls now.
4)Teams stack 8 in the box and dare us to throw and now we are and being successful.That really opens up the running game which is UA's strong point.

Hopefully that continues on Sat.

aceinthehole
October 31st, 2006, 12:18 PM
UA's Offense is coming around for a couple of reasons:

1)QB not turning the ball over as much.
2)Using 5 RB's that they rotate. All of which are gonna be fantastic.
3)The recievers are actually catching balls now.
4)Teams stack 8 in the box and dare us to throw and now we are and being successful.That really opens up the running game which is UA's strong point.

Hopefully that continues on Sat.

I'm sure you're right.

Again, I really think CCSU and UA are almost identical teams this year.

CCSU and UA rank 1 and 2 in scoring offense in the NEC.

Both teams are great rushing teams. CCSU has Hariston, UA by committiee but still very good. The Blue Devils have the edge.

But both teams still have weak passings stats. Only 50% completions, just 100 yrds per game, and just 6-7 TD on the season. Both teams are bottom 2 in the NEC. Ruler, I think both teams need to get a lot better this category. This is honestly why I think MU is tops in the NEc (although not by much).

Defenses are solid but UA get the edge here over Central. CCSU has been good lots of turnovers and is real solid in the redzone, but is generally weak against the pass - overall Central has a good defense, but not better than UA, MU, or RMU. Albany is top 3 in almost every defensive category and is the overall #1 in my book.

UA should beat RMU, but I'm telling you the Colonials are good. Look at the NEC stats. But as RMU fans said, if the QB is having a bad day then it should be an easy time for the Danes.

NEC STATS: http://www.northeastconference.org/Sports/fball/2006/confstat/confldrs.htm

I have to say even though CCSU has disapointed me in conference this year, IMO this is the best the NEC has been top to bottom ever!

October 31st, 2006, 12:28 PM
What does uhhhhh mean? :)
and more importantly, how do you do that text box?uhhhh, hard to say who will win the NEC and get to the GC.

Click the http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/techtwo/editor/html.gif button when you are making a post and paste your stuff between the tags.

aceinthehole
October 31st, 2006, 12:34 PM
uhhhh, hard to say who will win the NEC and get to the GC.

Click the http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/techtwo/editor/html.gif button when you are making a post and paste your stuff between the tags.

OK and thanks!!!!!!

RUSHING OFFENSE G Att Yds Avg TD Yds/G
-----------------------------------------------------
Central Connecticut. 9 444 2458 5.5 31 273.1
Albany.............. 9 386 1712 4.4 15 190.2
Saint Francis (PA).. 9 327 1459 4.5 12 162.1
Monmouth............ 9 354 1322 3.7 17 146.9
Wagner.............. 9 284 1193 4.2 9 132.6
Stony Brook......... 9 280 1097 3.9 8 121.9
Robert Morris....... 9 336 961 2.9 8 106.8
Sacred Heart........ 9 211 760 3.6 5 84.4

PASS OFFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
Monmouth............ 9 257 160 7 62.3 1814 7.1 9 201.6
Sacred Heart........ 9 306 180 9 58.8 1748 5.7 16 194.2
Robert Morris....... 9 221 128 12 57.9 1689 7.6 16 187.7
Stony Brook......... 9 248 146 4 58.9 1674 6.8 11 186.0
Saint Francis (PA).. 9 243 126 5 51.9 1477 6.1 11 164.1
Wagner.............. 9 261 123 10 47.1 1397 5.4 9 155.2
Albany.............. 9 181 97 5 53.6 1029 5.7 6 114.3
Central Connecticut. 9 100 53 3 53.0 946 9.5 7 105.1

Stricker46
October 31st, 2006, 12:41 PM
At this point in the season is their anyway Northeastern can make the play off's other than buying a ticket and seating in the stands. Just tryin to keep hope alive.

rmutv
October 31st, 2006, 02:01 PM
That is 100% correct. Although, I guess many teams can say that, but with RMU it seems we go as far as the QB takes us. He is still young though, only a sophmore. We had a transfer QB from Temple come in but I am pretty sure he hurt himself. Thankfully we have a very good defense that has kept us in many games.

I can not wait to see Albany this weekend. Hopefully RMU can hang with them. :thumbsup:

No, Joe DeSanzo is still the backup quarterback. He was a little gimpy earlier in the season, hence the Ron Ball appearance in the Duquesne game, but he is healthy now.

He just won't see a lot of action unless Cwalinski tanks, because his few appearances against St. Francis resembled a deer in headlights...

BobbyMo
October 31st, 2006, 05:36 PM
For what is worth, I had heard they were going to give Joe a medical redshirt this year. do you know if he has been going to practice?

alumNEC
October 31st, 2006, 05:54 PM
Injuries is probably my least favorite part of the game, however they are as much part of the game as the pass or QB sack especially nowadays with the increase of speed and strength of the athletes... Playing the game all out and staying healthy is one of the hardest thing to do in this game... I hate to see promising seasons/careers shortened by injuries.... I truly hope he (RMU QB) gets his injury red-shirt, I believe that it is one of the best inventions in NCAA football

alumNEC
November 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Any news regarding this weekend's NEC matchups? Injuries or anything? And what are everbody's picks for this weekend? Here are my picks with my expected score based on my expert analysis :-P

STONY BROOK over WAGNER (31-13)
MONMOUTH over ST. FRANCIS (34-10)
CENTRAL CONNECTICUT over SACRED HEART (28-14)

*******GAME OF THE WEEK********
ALBANY over ROBERT MORRIS (24-17)