PDA

View Full Version : How Will Your Team Do? SoCon Edition

Reign of Terrier
August 13th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Greetings my fellow patrons of SoCon and FCS football.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm kind of disappointed. Perhaps this is because Georgia Southern and App State moved up, but I'm kind of wowed at how little buzz there is about SoCon football in the middle of August!

I'm not pointing fingers, I just find it odd that normally we have a thread that's like 8 pages long at this point debating what will happen this year. I'm not around FCS forums as much as I used to be (side effect of growing up), but it's still somewhat shocking.

Regardless, what are your expectations for your team this year? I start this thread and not a "Socon prediction thread" because I don't know enough about other teams this year.

In Wofford's case, we are really really young. Many projected OL starters for this season for-went their last year of eligibility. We only have 7 seniors on the team (5 projected defensive starters, the long-snapper, and a walk-on running back) this year, to put things in perspective. With that said, our offense was terrible last year (though I didn't believe it at the time, I was extremely wrong) and we can really only go upwards from year. It all starts at QB for the Terriers. We need find one, as not one clear candidate was established last year. Between practically 3 scrimmages (I don't think the outcome of North Greenville, UVA-Wise, and GT will be anything but one-sided) and an off week in the first 5 weeks of the year, as well as Gardner Webb who is not a traditional power by any definition, I think Wofford will have some questions answered entering into the Socon slate.

Defensively, I think we'll be solid. Perhaps we won't be as good as last year, but we have a good enough nucleus coming back to where I'm not too concerned. The Achilles would seem to be inexperience at linebacker, but that's about it. Since our offense can only go up in terms of consistency and overall quality, I think you can expect an improvement on our 5-6 record of last year.

Our schedule is also objectively weaker. No GSU or App State. 2 sub-D1 opponents (we didn't schedule this originally, Jacksonville pulled out of our scheduled game). With that said, I can't say we won't be competitive in any game except maybe Georgia Tech on opening day.

I don't think Samford will be as good offensively, transfer QB or not, as that 6th year guy was pretty legit, and if I'm not mistaken they lost some veterans. We were pretty competitive with them last year, in spite of a pedestrian offense. Furman and Chattanooga are more intimidating, but at the same time they don't have offenses built to score 1000 points on you, so I'm not exactly afraid of a blowout, thus we should compete.

I don't think we should lose to:
UVA Wise
North Greenville
VMI
or Gardner Webb (Yes, I ate lots of Crow for that one last year; regardless if the result was due to weather, looking back, our offense was terrible and I think will improve, hence, I feel good about this one)

The only team I don't feel confident in beating is Georgia Tech, simply because they have better athletes, a decent coach, and a similar system as ours. We probably won't sneak up on them.

Mercer, Western Carolina, the Citadel are teams we can or should beat. With that said, there's a big unknown factor to all of them (Mercer's existence, is Western actually improving-especially since we almost lost to them last year and have to go back to the 'whee this year, and the Citadel's new, damn-good coach), and I think it would be arrogance to count those as sure-wins, especially given the year we had last year and the youth we have this year.

In the case of Samford, Furman, and Chattanooga, I've already somewhat talked about them. It really does suck that we have to visit all of them though.

Overall, I think Wofford will easily improve their win-loss record. I think 5-6 is the most pessimistic outlook, whereas we're definitely capable talent-wise, with this schedule of being 9-2 or 10-1. Unfortunately we only play 9 games this year, so unless we get the automatic bid in the socon, we're going to have to go at least 9-2 to make the playoffs. If this were years prior I would say that we had a 85% chance of not making the playoffs.

Seeing as we have the schedule we do, I think 7-4 is a realistic prediction, while 8-3 is an optimistic one. Either way, the sky is the limit for Wofford, we have nothing to lose as expectations aren't particularly high (though not necessarily low). If we go 8-3, I would probably predict us to be the 2015 favorite.

What's your opinion on your school or team?

Lehigh'98
August 13th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I think there have been several threads on the SoCon so far. Here is my worthless prediction:

1. Chatty
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. Samford
5. Citadel
6. Western
7. Mercer
8. VMI

CID1990
August 13th, 2014, 08:29 PM
The Citadel is going to finish #2 in the SoCon this year. Bookmark it. We're going to do it with defense.

SU DOG
August 13th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I haven't been impressed with our running game so far. Replacing Truss is not easy, and I am hoping this area will pick up. Eubank does have a quicker release than Andy Summerlin did, and he is good for short yardage on keepers. Sacking him will definitely be harder than it was with our former QB. The most underrated unit in the SoCon right now is the Samford defense. Every single projected starter is an upper classman. There is size, speed, and depth to go with the experience. I think Furman, UTC, and The Citadel will all be good on that side of the ball, but IMO, there will not be a better D in the SoCon this year than Samford's. Of course, any high expectation is excluding key injuries.

citdog
August 13th, 2014, 09:34 PM
The Citadel is going to finish #2 in the SoCon this year. Bookmark it. We're going to do it with defense.

Playoff Team. It starts week one by beating up on usc-coastal. EXCELLENT group of linebackers and the only question mark is who is replacing Mcladdie at the field corner position. Offensive line has to get mean QUICK. Miller will be solid and defenses will NOT enjoy hitting him.

citdog
August 13th, 2014, 09:36 PM

I'm gonna be honest, I'm kind of disappointed. Perhaps this is because Georgia Southern and App State moved up, but I'm kind of wowed at how little buzz there is about SoCon football in the middle of August!

I'm not pointing fingers, I just find it odd that normally we have a thread that's like 8 pages long at this point debating what will happen this year. I'm not around FCS forums as much as I used to be (side effect of growing up), but it's still somewhat shocking.

Regardless, what are your expectations for your team this year? I start this thread and not a "Socon prediction thread" because I don't know enough about other teams this year.

In Wofford's case, we are really really young. Many projected OL starters for this season for-went their last year of eligibility. We only have 7 seniors on the team (5 projected defensive starters, the long-snapper, and a walk-on running back) this year, to put things in perspective. With that said, our offense was terrible last year (though I didn't believe it at the time, I was extremely wrong) and we can really only go upwards from year. It all starts at QB for the Terriers. We need find one, as not one clear candidate was established last year. Between practically 3 scrimmages (I don't think the outcome of North Greenville, UVA-Wise, and GT will be anything but one-sided) and an off week in the first 5 weeks of the year, as well as Gardner Webb who is not a traditional power by any definition, I think Wofford will have some questions answered entering into the Socon slate.

Defensively, I think we'll be solid. Perhaps we won't be as good as last year, but we have a good enough nucleus coming back to where I'm not too concerned. The Achilles would seem to be inexperience at linebacker, but that's about it. Since our offense can only go up in terms of consistency and overall quality, I think you can expect an improvement on our 5-6 record of last year.

Our schedule is also objectively weaker. No GSU or App State. 2 sub-D1 opponents (we didn't schedule this originally, Jacksonville pulled out of our scheduled game). With that said, I can't say we won't be competitive in any game except maybe Georgia Tech on opening day.

I don't think Samford will be as good offensively, transfer QB or not, as that 6th year guy was pretty legit, and if I'm not mistaken they lost some veterans. We were pretty competitive with them last year, in spite of a pedestrian offense. Furman and Chattanooga are more intimidating, but at the same time they don't have offenses built to score 1000 points on you, so I'm not exactly afraid of a blowout, thus we should compete.

UVA Wise
North Greenville
VMI
or Gardner Webb (Yes, I ate lots of Crow for that one last year; regardless if the result was due to weather, looking back, our offense was terrible and I think will improve, hence, I feel good about this one)

The only team I don't feel confident in beating is Georgia Tech, simply because they have better athletes, a decent coach, and a similar system as ours. We probably won't sneak up on them.

Mercer, Western Carolina, the Citadel are teams we can or should beat. With that said, there's a big unknown factor to all of them (Mercer's existence, is Western actually improving-especially since we almost lost to them last year and have to go back to the 'whee this year, and the Citadel's new, damn-good coach), and I think it would be arrogance to count those as sure-wins, especially given the year we had last year and the youth we have this year.

In the case of Samford, Furman, and Chattanooga, I've already somewhat talked about them. It really does suck that we have to visit all of them though.

Overall, I think Wofford will easily improve their win-loss record. I think 5-6 is the most pessimistic outlook, whereas we're definitely capable talent-wise, with this schedule of being 9-2 or 10-1. Unfortunately we only play 9 games this year, so unless we get the automatic bid in the socon, we're going to have to go at least 9-2 to make the playoffs. If this were years prior I would say that we had a 85% chance of not making the playoffs.

Seeing as we have the schedule we do, I think 7-4 is a realistic prediction, while 8-3 is an optimistic one. Either way, the sky is the limit for Wofford, we have nothing to lose as expectations aren't particularly high (though not necessarily low). If we go 8-3, I would probably predict us to be the 2015 favorite.

Glad you found time to post. I heard all of your time was being spent protesting at pro hamas rallies.

Reign of Terrier
August 14th, 2014, 01:25 AM
Glad you found time to post. I heard all of your time was being spent protesting at pro hamas rallies.

I'm a tad shocked that's gotten around, that's borderline scary xpeacex

kdinva
August 14th, 2014, 05:20 AM
If the Keydets' young QB's can get some confidence, and the O-line can avoid injuries, 3-4/6-6 is possible.....

chattownmocs
August 14th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Unfortunately we don't have ETSU yet so we can't have an 8 way tie at the top, hold hands and sing kumbaya, give Furman the autobid, and cheer as they only lose by 30 something to the eventual champs. Get your head up boys its going to be a major bounceback year for the socon simply because the champion will be a national title contender.

Southern Bison
August 14th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I've already penciled into my calendar to watch a few SoCon games in person this season since I'm in this part of the country. My prediction is:

1. Furman
2. Chatty
3. The Citadel
4. Mercer
5. Samford
6. Wofford
7. WCU
8. VMI

Mercer showed some spirit last year and I will be interested to see how they handle the move to the SoCon...I think they're the wildcard that could screw up a lot of predictions.

OL FU
August 14th, 2014, 07:00 AM
I am shocked that you are shocked at the drop off in posting. If you take all the school's student bodies left, add them all up, they probably don't equal the student body numbers at ASU:)

I think Furman will finish 1 or 2. Chattanooga will take the spot Furman doesn't take.

I hear all the talk from the Citadel and it may happen but gotta wait a game or two to see if they can live up to the talk.

Wofford, I think Wofford will be fine. Last year was their every fourth year disaster. Probably third or fourth.

I'm going with this

1. Chatt
2. Furman
3. Samford
4. Wofford
5. Citadel
6. WCU
7. Mercer
8. VMI

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Furman has a tough schedule. I count that there are likely 6 top 25 teams (or borderline) on the slate this year. It will be a good test.

Furman obviously returns a lot of players (17 starters) off a SoCon title team. I think our defense will be as good as it has been since 2005, with a ton of depth across the front seven and a lot of guys that can play multiple positions. That gives Bruce Fowler a lot of options, who has shown in his three years to be a lot more creative on defense and a much better in-game tactician than his predecessor (just my opinion).

Offensively, there are few question marks. Have to replace two good offensive linemen, and for the first time in years there is a complete open question about our starting TE. Still, offense is lead by Hannon, who does a lot of little things really well and limits his mistakes. I think Furman is probably one break out receiver away from being explosive on offense. Need a guy to step up to take some pressure of Andrej Suttles.

All in all, I expect a good season. I imagine Furman will be favored in all but the games against Coastal, USC, and UTC. Quite a difference a year makes, as last year we were the underdog in virtually every game. Biggest question is which Furman team shows up. If the team comes out slow like it did last year, then we will have some issues.

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2014, 07:11 AM
I've already penciled into my calendar to watch a few SoCon games in person this season since I'm in this part of the country. My prediction is:

1. Furman
2. Chatty
3. The Citadel
4. Mercer
5. Samford
6. Wofford
7. WCU
8. VMI

Mercer showed some spirit last year and I will be interested to see how they handle the move to the SoCon...I think they're the wildcard that could screw up a lot of predictions.

Hard to gauge Mercer. I personally think they will face a steep learning curve. They have some good talent on both sides, though.

carney2
August 14th, 2014, 07:35 AM
In the tradition of Patriot League thread hijacking I will interject that there is strong rumor from high places that Wofford and Lafayette are close to signing an agreement for a future series.

OL FU
August 14th, 2014, 08:05 AM
In the tradition of Patriot League thread hijacking I will interject that there is strong rumor from high places that Wofford and Lafayette are close to signing an agreement for a future series.

Very Nice. Go Ankle Biters:D

SU DOG
August 14th, 2014, 08:47 AM
If Mercer can finish 4th, then Bobby Lamb should be the national FCS Coach of the Year by a landslide. True, they have some good players, but 4th? If they do accomplish this, with young players their first year in, then I hate to think what the future holds for the rest of us in this conference.

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2014, 09:00 AM
If Mercer can finish 4th, then Bobby Lamb should be the national FCS Coach of the Year by a landslide. True, they have some good players, but 4th? If they do accomplish this, with young players their first year in, then I hate to think what the future holds for the rest of us in this conference.

They play the games for a reason, but if Mercer finishes out of the cellar I will be very surprised.

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2014, 10:46 AM

UVA Wise
North Greenville
VMI

Much like every season, Wofford is a bit of a dark horse.

From my view, Wofford has to replace some of its best players on offense and defense. That is never easy.

The two things I am looking for with Wofford is QB play and DB play. I thought last year Wofford was very inconsistent at the QB position, and seemed never to settle on "the guy." at the position.

On defense, I think the DB position was a concern last season. Here are (Furman) highlights from last year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K8v_1uPGTg). You can see Terrier DBs giving Furman receivers 7 or 8 yard cushions off the ball. Tackling was poor, and there were several long plays in zone coverage where the safety was four steps slow in getting help over the top (the long pass to Suttles is notable). You saw a similar story against App, Samford, etc. Look at the play at the 3:30 mark--when Hannon releases the ball there's not a Wofford DB within 10 yards of Jordan Snellings.

I think some of that is Mike Ayers. From my time watching him, his defenses are extremely concerned with giving up big plays (a death knell to option offenses). The effect of that, though, is that teams are now able to work Wofford underneath and pick up large chunks of yards. I personally think they will revisit that philosophy. Without an elite offensive ground game, I am not sure the Terriers can win shootouts.

Reign of Terrier
August 14th, 2014, 12:54 PM

Thank God. That would be the best OOC opponent for Wofford since Coastal Carolina in 2006. I'm tired of playing sub-FCS teams. We scheduled Jacksonville this year but they pulled out before the school year was out.

Reign of Terrier
August 14th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Much like every season, Wofford is a bit of a dark horse.

From my view, Wofford has to replace some of its best players on offense and defense. That is never easy.

The two things I am looking for with Wofford is QB play and DB play. I thought last year Wofford was very inconsistent at the QB position, and seemed never to settle on "the guy." at the position.

On defense, I think the DB position was a concern last season. Here are (Furman) highlights from last year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K8v_1uPGTg). You can see Terrier DBs giving Furman receivers 7 or 8 yard cushions off the ball. Tackling was poor, and there were several long plays in zone coverage where the safety was four steps slow in getting help over the top (the long pass to Suttles is notable). You saw a similar story against App, Samford, etc. Look at the play at the 3:30 mark--when Hannon releases the ball there's not a Wofford DB within 10 yards of Jordan Snellings.

I think some of that is Mike Ayers. From my time watching him, his defenses are extremely concerned with giving up big plays (a death knell to option offenses). The effect of that, though, is that teams are now able to work Wofford underneath and pick up large chunks of yards. I personally think they will revisit that philosophy. Without an elite offensive ground game, I am not sure the Terriers can win shootouts.

I really don't think Wofford has much to replace offensively. I mean, objectively our best players were on the offensive line because we were so poor on offense in terms of execution. We bring back everyone at RB, and wide-out is always an underrepresented position because we don't throw the ball as much (I mean, Brenton Bersin, our WR who graduated in '12 has a legit shot at making the Carolina Panthers team this year, and I don't think anyone really knew of him outside of Wofford in the Socon).

The fact is, we sucked on offense last year. We had no identity because we had no consistency. If our offense is good, we'll be a bubble team this year, if it's great, we'll win the socon/make the playoffs. Even in spite of poor defensive performances at times last year, we still played at least comparable to the year before, which was a decent defense. Of course, that's only if you take out the Baylor game, which I think is an acceptable qualification because Baylor had one of the best offenses scoring-wise in NCAA history (averaged 52 points a game).

The fact is, the cushions are a part of the game Wofford plays. The missed tackles could easily be chalked up to fatigue (when your offense sucks) or youth in the secondary (we probably replaced two of our best corners in school history last year).

Even so, I don't think it's a valid analysis of the year before when a team lost to the current year.

We have a new DC anyway.

Regardless, and I've already said this, Chattanooga and Furman are not air-it-out-50-times a game teams, so they don't scare me. Elon scared me every year because they were that sort of team. FU/UTC are not teams that hang 30 or 40 on you on a consistent basis; it's just the gameplan they play (ground and pound + tough defense).

Because of that, they're obviously a force to be reckoned with, but they don't scare me in the ways GSU or App State did.

I'm more worried about our offense than our defense this year. We have a lot to replace on the OL and we need to find a QB. Defensively we have a good number of contributors back.

But at the same time, as I've already said, I'm not too worried because we don't start socon competition until after 5 weeks including an off week, 3 games that are unlikely to be competitive in all honesty, and a game against GWU (we should honestly win that one, but I ate crow last year).

Smitty
August 14th, 2014, 01:26 PM
There is a lot of hype going on for Western this year. I just hope we have better results to match all the attention that we are getting. With a relatively easier schedule then we usually have, we can pull off 5 wins. Mercer will be interesting, VMI we should beat (always use should because it never fails that something can happen). I hope we can actually upset somebody during the year as well. Would love to see it happen to Chatt but realistically Wofford or Furman.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfayzy1PWq1qgsz39o1_400.gif

Although after a ton of disappointing seasons I'm not sure of anything...

Reign of Terrier
August 14th, 2014, 01:47 PM
To put in perspective how bad Wofford's offense was last year, scoring wise it was the 4th worst year since Ayers has been coach at 233. The other 3 teams were Wofford's first year in Division one, and first two years in the SoCon (one of those years we only played 10 games for some reason). Really, you could make the case that the offense was worse last year, because if you take out the PC game, we scored even fewer/much more comparable to those teams.

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I really don't think Wofford has much to replace offensively. I mean, objectively our best players were on the offensive line because we were so poor on offense in terms of execution. We bring back everyone at RB, and wide-out is always an underrepresented position because we don't throw the ball as much (I mean, Brenton Bersin, our WR who graduated in '12 has a legit shot at making the Carolina Panthers team this year, and I don't think anyone really knew of him outside of Wofford in the Socon).

The fact is, we sucked on offense last year. We had no identity because we had no consistency. If our offense is good, we'll be a bubble team this year, if it's great, we'll win the socon/make the playoffs. Even in spite of poor defensive performances at times last year, we still played at least comparable to the year before, which was a decent defense. Of course, that's only if you take out the Baylor game, which I think is an acceptable qualification because Baylor had one of the best offenses scoring-wise in NCAA history (averaged 52 points a game).

The fact is, the cushions are a part of the game Wofford plays. The missed tackles could easily be chalked up to fatigue (when your offense sucks) or youth in the secondary (we probably replaced two of our best corners in school history last year).

Even so, I don't think it's a valid analysis of the year before when a team lost to the current year.

We have a new DC anyway.

Regardless, and I've already said this, Chattanooga and Furman are not air-it-out-50-times a game teams, so they don't scare me. Elon scared me every year because they were that sort of team. FU/UTC are not teams that hang 30 or 40 on you on a consistent basis; it's just the gameplan they play (ground and pound + tough defense).

Because of that, they're obviously a force to be reckoned with, but they don't scare me in the ways GSU or App State did.

I'm more worried about our offense than our defense this year. We have a lot to replace on the OL and we need to find a QB. Defensively we have a good number of contributors back.

But at the same time, as I've already said, I'm not too worried because we don't start socon competition until after 5 weeks including an off week, 3 games that are unlikely to be competitive in all honesty, and a game against GWU (we should honestly win that one, but I ate crow last year).

Absolutely. I think deep cushions are how Mike Ayers plays football. I just think you saw in several games last year that Wofford's inability to really sustain a lot offensively for four quarters made it very difficult to play that type of defense and win.

Reign of Terrier
August 14th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Absolutely. I think deep cushions are how Mike Ayers plays football. I just think you saw in several games last year that Wofford's inability to really sustain a lot offensively for four quarters made it very difficult to play that type of defense and win.

It wasn't an issue until the last 3 games of the year really. Every defense has its strengths and weaknesses (if a certain scheme didn't, everyone would run it). The teams that have good defenses have the right personnel complimented with the right scheme and the right coaching. Take one element out and you'll have mistakes, like Wofford did.

Milktruck74
August 14th, 2014, 03:46 PM

I'm not going that far, but I feel the boys from Charleston will have an impact on who sits at the top of the league. I think Woffy, Furple and the Mocs, beat each other up and it is a potential toss up.....but that's where the Bulldogs come it to play. Citidel upsets one of the three to knock them out of the hunt.

walliver
August 14th, 2014, 07:59 PM
I'm not going that far, but I feel the boys from Charleston will have an impact on who sits at the top of the league. I think Woffy, Furple and the Mocs, beat each other up and it is a potential toss up.....but that's where the Bulldogs come it to play. Citidel upsets one of the three to knock them out of the hunt.

The Citadel has the kind of history where they could beat Chatty, Furman and Wofford ... and then lose to VMI, WCU and Mercer. Just look at 2003.

I'm hoping Mike Ayers straightens things out ... he rarely he two bad years in a row. The problem with last year's team wasn't talent, it was a complete lack of offensive chemistry; I think due to the QB by committee offense we ran.

OL FU
August 15th, 2014, 07:04 AM
The Citadel has the kind of history where they could beat Chatty, Furman and Wofford ... and then lose to VMI, WCU and Mercer. Just look at 2003.

I'm hoping Mike Ayers straightens things out ... he rarely he two bad years in a row. The problem with last year's team wasn't talent, it was a complete lack of offensive chemistry; I think due to the QB by committee offense we ran.

You guys slide every 4 years. Thought you were over it but...

2013 5-6
2009 3-8
2005 6-5
2001 4-7

All the years in between were really good records. The years before I am not counting since those were your entry years in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
August 15th, 2014, 11:14 AM

I am sure that I am about as excited to play the Citadel in Charleston in back to back years as Wofford is to play in Greenville again.

Reign of Terrier
August 15th, 2014, 11:23 AM
I am sure that I am about as excited to play the Citadel in Charleston in back to back years as Wofford is to play in Greenville again.

See, I don't care about playing Furman two straight years at their place because it's a short drive. Having to play Chattanooga and Western at their place is annoying because it's a 2 hour trip each. Not to mention our away games, with the exception of GWU/Furman are all 2 hours away.

PaladinFan
August 15th, 2014, 11:34 AM
See, I don't care about playing Furman two straight years at their place because it's a short drive. Having to play Chattanooga and Western at their place is annoying because it's a 2 hour trip each. Not to mention our away games, with the exception of GWU/Furman are all 2 hours away.

Sure, not a long drive. Charleston's also a nice place. I mean only to say that (I think) Wofford has won in Greenville only twice since 1980 (2003 and 2007). Similarly, Furman's record against the Bulldogs is a lot nicer in Paladin Stadium than Johnson Haygood.

walliver
August 15th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Sure, not a long drive. Charleston's also a nice place. I mean only to say that (I think) Wofford has won in Greenville only twice since 1980 (2003 and 2007). Similarly, Furman's record against the Bulldogs is a lot nicer in Paladin Stadium than Johnson Haygood.

I was hoping we would play at the Citadel this year as we generally play them better in Charleston than at home.

The only good thing about the new schedule is that next year we play FU, Chatty, and Sammy at home.

citdog
August 16th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Similarly, Furman's record against the Bulldogs is a lot nicer in Paladin Stadium than Johnson Haygood.

It's Hagood.

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2004/245/9514_109410529348.jpg