PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Playoff eligibility

GGASU
October 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I think the reason for the 4 year transition period is due to student athlete requirements being different in Division II.

If NDSU could prove that all of their current football players would be eligible under Division I rules, couldn't they petition the NCAA for an exemption to the transition period rule?

UAalum72
October 29th, 2006, 08:53 AM
There's a lot more than that; the university has to prove it has academic oversight in place, and a lot of other administrative stuff.

slostang
October 29th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Three years would be long enough if they make the commitment in facilities and scholarships which both NDSU and UCA have done. Five years is longer than needed.

MplsBison
October 29th, 2006, 01:21 PM
There's a lot more than that; the university has to prove it has academic oversight in place, and a lot of other administrative stuff.

And if NDSU could prove it had that?

October 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM
And if NDSU could prove it had that?It is a four year process.

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2006, 04:17 PM
No one at NDSU expected or expects anything regarding playoffs until we are eligible. I think the mention of it is just more out of frustration for the guys as they are more then deserving as their play on the field indicates.

Uncle Buck
October 29th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I for one would love to see them in it this year. I can understand eligibility rules with the NCAA, but NDSU is damn good.

October 29th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I for one would love to see them in it this year...ME TOO!!! :nod:

MplsBison
October 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM
It is a four year process.

It is?!

I think it was a hypothetical question.

Death Dealer
October 29th, 2006, 05:33 PM
NDSU is a rocking team...they deserve a spot, but rules is rules.....sucks though.:twocents:

Saint3333
October 29th, 2006, 05:38 PM
No one at NDSU expected or expects anything regarding playoffs until we are eligible. I think the mention of it is just more out of frustration for the guys as they are more then deserving as their play on the field indicates.

Will this transition period have a negative impact on recruiting the next couple of years for these transitional schools? I'd have to imagine that if a kid is deciding between SDSU or NDSU and a Gateway school they might lean towards the school with a chance for post season play.

smallcollegefbfan
October 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I agree.

bisonguy
October 29th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Will this transition period have a negative impact on recruiting the next couple of years for these transitional schools? I'd have to imagine that if a kid is deciding between SDSU or NDSU and a Gateway school they might lean towards the school with a chance for post season play.

Shouldn't be that much of a factor. NDSU is playoff eligible in 2008, so if they redshirt, this upcoming class would be eligible for four years of playoffs.

NDSU already has a verbal from a Minnesota recruit that also had an offer from Northern Illinois. The near upset vs. Minnesota will probably have a nice effect on recruiting MN and WI this year. :nod:

TheBisonator
October 29th, 2006, 05:44 PM

It doesn't make any difference anymore now. We're in the 4th year of a 5 year transition. Next year is out last year in purgatory. If we recruit a kid this winter, we would tell him that if he redshirts this upcoming season (2007), that will be the only non-playoff elligible season in his NDSU career, and he won't be playing anyway, so it won't matter. Then the next four years he plays after the redshirt, we will be playoff eligible. Not only that, but if the Gateway decides to accept us for 2008, we will tell him that in the four years you play after your redshirt year, we will be a fully eligible, full DI-AA member, and a full member of the Gateway Conference, and you'll have a chance at the national championship for the four years you play.

Schools like Northern Iowa and Western Illinois have no recruiting advantage over us in that regard.

TheBisonator
October 29th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Shouldn't be that much of a factor. NDSU is playoff eligible in 2008, so if they redshirt, this upcoming class would be eligible for four years of playoffs.

NDSU already has a verbal from a Minnesota recruit that also had an offer from Northern Illinois. The near upset vs. Minnesota will probably have a nice effect on recruiting MN and WI this year. :nod:

You said what I was gonna say, but much faster.:p

lucchesicourt
October 30th, 2006, 05:07 AM
The 4 year transition time is too long. It is basically the same punishment a scholls recieves for violating rules. You have 4 years of inelgibility, where first year students have NO chance of being in the playoffs, so good athletes will usually choose another school UNTIL you are on the at least the thrid year of the transition process. UCD, I am sure, lost some bidding wars with Cal Poly, because they were playoff elgible and we were not. I think 2 years of transition is more than enough time to determine whether an institution is on an academic level of ,eeting 1AA requirements, and a program making reasonable strides to put a quality team on the field.

WYOBISONMAN
October 30th, 2006, 08:48 AM
We knew the rules going into this and we need to live by the rules. We will see you all in the playoffs come 2008. In the mean time, I am enjoying a solid season of football for the Bison!

BisBison
October 30th, 2006, 06:15 PM
We knew the rules going into this and we need to live by the rules. We will see you all in the playoffs come 2008. In the mean time, I am enjoying a solid season of football for the Bison!

+++ Wyo, but how cool would it be to see how far we could go this year. I really like this team.

BisBison
October 30th, 2006, 06:43 PM

+++ Wyo, but how cool would it be to see how far we could go this year? I really like this team.

GrizRchattybound
October 30th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Is it to late to get NDSU and SDSU to petition one more time to the idiots that run the BSC?

Please?

RabidRabbit
October 30th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Is it to late to get NDSU and SDSU to petition one more time to the idiots that run the BSC?

Please?

Yes, Lucy. We actually got to kick the ball with the Mid-Con holding.

RabidRabbit
October 30th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Big Sky is waiting for UND we're told from up north, at the ice jam center on the Red River.

May even get the opportunity for a couple more NCC move-ups.

siugrad99
October 30th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Funny, too bad San Diego can't figure it out and accept things like NDSU can. Difference between a classy program and a program run by a pompus @ss

BisonSig
October 30th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Yes, thanks for the thought, it means a lot to have our program already earn the respect of many people here in I-aa.

I agree that the time limit is strange, if a new program can be eligible in 2 years why does an existing program get punished into waiting 5 years for playoff eligibility? 1 exploratory year and 4 years of ... purgatory(?).

I at least would love to have an opportunity to see this Bison team play any team. They have been amazing to watch in a lot of respects. TOn the downside they have had a propensity to be a little to loose with the football.

But at this time the point is moot anyway, the Bison have 3 tough games left, at UCD and hosting Cal-Poly and last but certainly not least SDSU. If we win them all, then we could cry injustice, we won't but we could.

GOTOREROS
October 30th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Funny, too bad San Diego can't figure it out and accept things like NDSU can. Difference between a classy program and a program run by a pompus @ss

I guess we'll see.....I'm not holding my breath but it sure sounds like people are getting nervous...

GOTOREROS

igo4uni
October 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM
But at this time the point is moot anyway, the Bison have 3 tough games left, at UCD and hosting Cal-Poly and last but certainly not least SDSU. If we win them all, then we could cry injustice, we won't but we could.

tough games.:twocents:

lucchesicourt
October 31st, 2006, 07:48 AM
Tough games yes, but also conference games. GWFC is one fierce dogfight!!

GABison
October 31st, 2006, 12:46 PM

You would have to think the worst is over as far as recruiting. Any recruit will probably redshirt for 2007 and have 4 years of playing time and a chance for the playoffs in 2008 and beyond. It does seem like the transition period has not hurt us too bad considering we are currently ranked #5 in the nation, higher than any other Gateway team.:)

Helps to have a winning tradition, excellent facilities and excellent coaching. Even with the transition period, NDSU was able to snag and redshirt the top 9 recruits in ND last year. No reason for this not to continue.

Wait a minute, this may be a down year for the Bison because of the transition period. Yea, that's the ticket. Maybe this is the bottom for the Bison. Hopefully, we will get better.;)

October 31st, 2006, 01:15 PM
... if a new program can be eligible in 2 years why does an existing program get punished into waiting 5 years for playoff eligibility?... If we win them all, then we could cry injustice, we won't but we could.There is no injustice in this case. A new program doesn't have to wait because they are already D-I. BTW it's a five year process but can't really count the exploratory year because you could always turn back.