PDA

View Full Version : Who the p5 want to play (ESPN Poll)

darell1976
August 7th, 2014, 01:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11320309/majority-power-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

Of the 65 Power Five coaches from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC and Notre Dame, 46 percent (30 coaches) favored playing exclusively Power Five opponents while 35 percent (23 coaches) were opposed. About 18.5 percent (12 coaches) were undecided.

The Pac-12, Big 12 and SEC coaches favored playing all Power Five opponents, while the ACC coaches were against it by a 6-4 margin with four coaches undecided. Big Ten coaches were divided: Six each were for and against it, with two undecided.

Alabama coach Nick Saban said "fans want" Power Five teams playing exclusively Power Five opponents.

Wisconsin's Gary Andersen, Missouri's Gary Pinkel and Iowa's Kirk Ferentz also were against it.

Andersen, the former Utah State coach, and Pinkel, formerly at Toledo, wondered how the smaller schools could survive without playing the Power Five schools. Some smaller schools receive more than $1 million to play at a Power Five opponent.

"Where do teams like Utah State go to get a big game?" Andersen said.
Ferentz even predicted the Big Ten would play 10 conference games "in the near future." The league currently has eight league games but is moving to nine in 2016 and will eventually eliminate games against FCS teams.

LSU's Les Miles, one of seven SEC coaches who were in favor, believes that "we're headed that way" to Power Five-only schedules.
Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, who also favored it, said that if the schools played only Power Five opponents, they would need more scholarship players and expanded eligibility.
Even though Notre Dame has never played an FCS team and plays almost exclusively Power Five opponents already, Irish coach Brian Kelly said he would be against it if it meant no longer playing Navy.

Kelly said removing Navy from Notre Dame's schedule would be "a deal-breaker." Even with teams playing tougher schedules, Kelly said he doesn't favor teams with losing records playing in bowls.
North Carolina's Larry Fedora was against the idea because he said the Group of Five league teams "can't survive without us. It would not be good for college football."

Doesn't sound good for us FCS teams. Especially if only a handful of conferences will play FCS teams.

RichH2
August 7th, 2014, 01:58 PM
No NFL teamsincluded in poll?

BisonFan02
August 7th, 2014, 02:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11320309/majority-power-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

Doesn't sound good for us FCS teams. Especially if only a handful of conferences will play FCS teams.

As structured today...correct. However, this would cause a domino effect to allow the top of the FCS to "pull up the anchor" so to speak and compete with the lower FBS schools. It will force the hands of the lower FBS moreso than anything else and cause a shuffle of the "FBS" and FCS divisions.

darell1976
August 7th, 2014, 02:05 PM
As structured today...correct. However, this would cause a domino effect to allow the top of the FCS to "pull up the anchor" so to speak and compete with the lower FBS schools. It will force the hands of the lower FBS moreso than anything else and cause a shuffle of the "FBS" and FCS divisions.

If it comes down to only the ACC allowing FCS teams to be scheduled it doesn't look good for FCS teams that need that "money" game. UND has 1 game vs the MW, 1 vs the MAC, and 2 vs the Pac 12 through 2018, I hope there is no buyouts. Is Iowa going to honor your game in 2016?

WestCoastAggie
August 7th, 2014, 02:09 PM
We don't need to play P5 teams. What we need to do is allow teams to play where they feel is best for them in each sport and drop the Dayton Rule.

A&T and Murray State don't need to compete with NC State and Louisville in Football but can compete in other sports like track and basketball.

Let Georgetown's football team go back to Div-3 and an HBCU like WSSU play football in the MEAC their Olympic sports in the CIAA.

BisonFan02
August 7th, 2014, 02:11 PM
If it comes down to only the ACC allowing FCS teams to be scheduled it doesn't look good for FCS teams that need that "money" game. UND has 1 game vs the MW, 1 vs the MAC, and 2 vs the Pac 12 through 2018, I hope there is no buyouts. Is Iowa going to honor your game in 2016?

If they need the "money" game, it is time to reconsider their DI football program. Eliminate the Dayton rule and restructure "FCS"/FBS.

BisonFan02
August 7th, 2014, 02:12 PM
We don't need to play P5 teams. What we need to do is allow teams to play where they feel is best for them in each sport and drop the Dayton Rule.

A&T and Murray State don't need to compete with NC State and Louisville in Football but can compete in other sports like track and basketball.

Let Georgetown's football team go back to Div-3 and an HBCU like WSSU play football in the MEAC their Olympic sports in the CIAA.

Bingo.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Of the 65 Power Five coaches from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC and Notre Dame, 46 percent (30 coaches) favored playing exclusively Power Five opponents while 54 percent were not in favor.

Fixed it for the writer of this article. This article is a waste of bits and bytes, as not only is it not a majority of coaches in favor, coaches are not in control of scheduling. ADs are.

darell1976
August 7th, 2014, 02:17 PM
If they need the "money" game, it is time to reconsider their DI football program. Eliminate the Dayton rule and restructure "FCS"/FBS.

I agree too.

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 02:51 PM
The best thing that could happen is the elimination of the Dayton rule. Let those who will not give 63 get to Div II.

IBleedYellow
August 7th, 2014, 03:05 PM
The best thing that could happen is the elimination of the Dayton rule. Let those who will not give 63 get to Div II.

This is what we all hope will happen, but I'm sure it won't.

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 03:15 PM
This is what we all hope will happen, but I'm sure it won't.

As a Subdivision we would be MUCH better off without the pretenders. They bring us ALL down.

Lehigh'98
August 7th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I just don't see how the FCS would be better off. Only the die hards care now, so you want to take away 1/3 of them. Now less people give a ****.

PAllen
August 7th, 2014, 03:54 PM

Why 63? Why not 85? Or the 100+ that elite are headed to?

PAllen
August 7th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I just don't see how the FCS would be better off. Only the die hards care now, so you want to take away 1/3 of them. Now less people give a ****.

The folks pushing for a smaller FCS and pushing the "pretenders" away remind me of the Republican Party in Maryland. For years they've been focused on being pure and true to their ideals. All the while, all they did was make themselves irrelevant.

PAllen
August 7th, 2014, 04:01 PM
"Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, who also favored it, said that if the schools played only Power Five opponents, they would need more scholarship players and expanded eligibility."

And there's the evidence to where this is really headed. The end goal is everyone on the team has a scholarship covering the "full cost of attendance" plus a stipend. Add in "expanded eligibility" which means no more pesky academics to worry about and you've got their panacea. Unfortunately for them, that panacea is nothing more than an NFL development league with Universities as owners.

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 04:02 PM
The folks pushing for a smaller FCS and pushing the "pretenders" away remind me of the Republican Party in Maryland. For years they've been focused on being pure and true to their ideals. All the while, all they did was make themselves irrelevant.

Why bother to have any standards at all. Let your High School JV team call themselves FCS.

Bogus Megapardus
August 7th, 2014, 04:02 PM

Good luck convincing Princeton, Yale and Harvard to drop to Division II.

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 04:04 PM

I want those who give NO scholarships to be in a subdivision that gives NO scholarships.

- - - Updated - - -

Who cares what they think. No Playoffs........GET OUT

Lehigh'98
August 7th, 2014, 04:06 PM
What about the 40 odd that the NEC give or the aid the Ivys give? Really, the FCS with just 4 or 5 conferences is pretty stale. I would like to see all conf participate in playoffs though.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2014, 04:07 PM
All I know is coach Saban of the Alabama Athletic Club doesn't realize what's going to happen when these clubs of sport suddenly have no academic mission and they have to pay taxes on their profits.

Professor Chaos
August 7th, 2014, 04:09 PM

It may not be good for FCS schools but it would be worse for the G5 schools. They lose their 7 figure paydays and their TV ratings would go down if there are a ton of big time P5 matchups every week (which there will be if they P5 schools only play each other) which means less TV money for the G5 schools. In reality it may be good for the upper level FCS schools if the P5 only play each other because it would force the G5 to look for cheap home games from FCS schools and perhaps even home/home contracts.

PAllen
August 7th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Why bother to have any standards at all. Let your High School JV team call themselves FCS.

If a 4 year accredited post secondary school wants to go 0-11 in football every year from now until eternity, let them. Should Rice, Vanderbilt, or SMU be forced out of D-1 football because they suck at it? As long as my alma mater never schedules them, I don't care. Prairie View A&M went 0 for a ton and it had absolutely zero effect on football in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. I don't think it had much effect at all on anybody outside of some of the HBCUs.

Just so we're clear cit. I like FCS football. I like it more than FBS football, and a ton more than the NFL. But let's be honest. In most people's eyes, including a majority of the students currently attending FCS schools, we are all "pretenders".

PAllen
August 7th, 2014, 04:12 PM
All I know is coach Saban of the Alabama Athletic Club doesn't realize what's going to happen when these clubs of sport suddenly have no academic mission and they have to pay taxes on their profits.

Nah, they'll just call in a big fundraising effort for the university. if that doesn't fly, then they'll say it adds to the diversity of the academic experience.

OL FU
August 7th, 2014, 04:22 PM

I agree on the Dayton rule. Whether most FCS programs "need" the money game or not, it certainly helps tremendously. Most football programs including FBS lose money.

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 04:23 PM
What about the 40 odd that the NEC give or the aid the Ivys give? Really, the FCS with just 4 or 5 conferences is pretty stale. I would like to see all conf participate in playoffs though.

i guess the patsy league has to have SOMEONE to play OOC........

OL FU
August 7th, 2014, 04:24 PM
If a 4 year accredited post secondary school wants to go 0-11 in football every year from now until eternity, let them. Should Rice, Vanderbilt, or SMU be forced out of D-1 football because they suck at it? As long as my alma mater never schedules them, I don't care. Prairie View A&M went 0 for a ton and it had absolutely zero effect on football in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. I don't think it had much effect at all on anybody outside of some of the HBCUs.

Just so we're clear cit. I like FCS football. I like it more than FBS football, and a ton more than the NFL. But let's be honest. In most people's eyes, including a majority of the students currently attending FCS schools, we are all "pretenders".

Let me make sure I understand. I think the Dayton rule forces non-scholly programs that compete in DI in other sports to compete in DI for football. So eliminating the Dayton rule isn't forcing anyone out. IT is allowing many of these schools to play where they would prefer. DIII.

and BTW, I am not agreeing with citdog that it is 63 or else. Surprise Surprise

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Let me make sure I understand. I think the Dayton rule forces non-scholly programs that compete in DI in other sports to compete in DI for football. So eliminating the Dayton rule isn't forcing anyone out. IT is allowing many of these schools to play where they would prefer. DIII.

EXACTLY. Seriously davidson and georgetown don't belong in the FCS.

PAllen
August 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Oh, I'm not defending the Dayton rule. I'm arguing against kicking people out because they don't meet some arbitrary headcount number.

BisonFan02
August 7th, 2014, 04:39 PM

You're missing something. MVFC, CAA, BSC, SoCoN and some Southland, OVC, Big South teams + non P5 conferences = new "FCS". It would be a major shuffle, but what remains would be pretty sweet.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2014, 04:58 PM
You're missing something. MVFC, CAA, BSC, SoCoN and some Southland, OVC, Big South teams + non P5 conferences = new "FCS". It would be a major shuffle, but what remains would be pretty sweet.

The non P5 teams are not going to join the ranks of FCS. Temple, UCF, ECU, Boise Stateare not interested in playing in fringe HS facilities.

There has to be a few programs in the OVC, SL, BSC etc giving out less than the max number of schollies....

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 05:04 PM
The non P5 teams are not going to join the ranks of FCS. Temple, UCF, ECU, Boise Stateare not interested in playing in fringe HS facilities.

There has to be a few programs in the OVC, SL, BSC etc giving out less than the max number of schollies....

temple lost to fordham lol

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2014, 05:11 PM
temple lost to fordham lol

They started the season on NBC against Notre Dame. That's what matters...

The AAC won a BCS Bowl. UConn won both the mens and womens national titles. These schools are not interested in rubbing elbows with UT-Martin, Furman, Towson, UNI etc....

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 05:13 PM
They started the season on NBC against Notre Dame. That's what matters...

The AAC won a BCS Bowl. UConn won both the mens and womens national titles. These schools are not interested in rubbing elbows with UT-Martin, Furman, Towson, UNI etc....

That's because they would get BEAT by those schools you mention. Your school should just drop football.

darell1976
August 7th, 2014, 05:23 PM

I wonder if Idaho St, UNC, and Weber St give out the max?

Go...gate
August 7th, 2014, 05:41 PM

Ivies are gradually dropping PL schools due to our league's going to scholarships. Makes no sense at all, because the Ivies (like the Patriots) have always given financial aid, but called it something else. Sounds like "The Emperor's New Clothes".

UAalum72
August 7th, 2014, 05:47 PM
The teams in FCS because of the Dayton rule aren't the ones who need the money games to survive. They're not even playing G5 schools, let alone P5.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 7th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Actually, you're missing something. What you envision was tried in the 90's and it fell flat. The real difference now for FCS is that there is ZERO presence at the table to vote on issues. When FBS (P5 and G5) schools vote, the FCS AD's are shown the door. G5 schools will be allowed to opt-in to the same legislation and will be able to have the same schollies and expanded eligibility as P5 IF they can afford it.

While the truly BIG BOYS in the top of the P5 might want exclusively P5 schedules, they will be outvoted by the Indiana's, Washington's, Wake Forest's, and Vanderbilt's who would never become Bowl Eligible with P5-only schedules.

Of course, a restructuring will likely happen by the time this 10 year deal is up and I'm guessing it will look like the 1970's leading up to the lowering of schollies and I-A/I-AA split. It will be interesting, but our move/desire to move had a lot to do with wanting to STAY in the second tier of DI football. Instead of G5 becoming "FCS", I think it more likely that the cream of FCS will become part of the G5 and perhaps two tournaments at season's end like the NCAA and NIT do with basketball.

This may be the chance for the Big Sky Conference to become FBS and do some adding and deleting. Who knows? Good luck to you guys this year btw, I know we're in for some lumps the next few years, but I'm still excited and convinced this was the right decision for our particular school.

CrazyCat
August 7th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Actually, you're missing something. What you envision was tried in the 90's and it fell flat. The real difference now for FCS is that there is ZERO presence at the table to vote on issues. When FBS (P5 and G5) schools vote, the FCS AD's are shown the door. G5 schools will be allowed to opt-in to the same legislation and will be able to have the same schollies and expanded eligibility as P5 IF they can afford it. Got a link for that? All I could find was what they decided in April
• Five conferences (5x4) + one commissioner seat (1x4) = 24 = 37.5 percent.• Middle five conferences (5x2) +one commissioner seat (1x2) = 12 = 18.8 percent. • DI/FCS - 22 conferences (22x1) + two commissioner seats (2x1) = 24 = 37.5 percent.• Two student-athletes (2x1) =2 = 3.1 percent.• Two faculty athletics representatives (2x1) = 2 = 3.1 percent.

Sandlapper Spike
August 7th, 2014, 06:24 PM

and BTW, I am not agreeing with citdog that it is 63 or else. Surprise Surprise

I would be fine with letting Dayton decide if it wants to play D-3 football or FCS football, scholarships or no scholarships. And I have no problem with schools with 40 schollies playing FCS football, or the Ivies doing their thing.

WestCoastAggie
August 7th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I think a FCS sub-division with the SWAC, MEAC, OVC, NEC, Big South, pioneer League and the top Div-2 Divisions like the GLIAC and GAC would be a great D-1 sub-division for football.

The Big Sky, MVFC, CAA, Ivy and PL should join the rest of the G5 conferences and let that become another D-1 sub-division.

Bisonoline
August 7th, 2014, 09:13 PM

The lower tier teams survived for many many years without playing the big boys. They also survived by not being in the bowl games. So why is this going to effect FCS?

Bisonoline
August 7th, 2014, 09:17 PM
"Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, who also favored it, said that if the schools played only Power Five opponents, they would need more scholarship players and expanded eligibility."

And there's the evidence to where this is really headed. The end goal is everyone on the team has a scholarship covering the "full cost of attendance" plus a stipend. Add in "expanded eligibility" which means no more pesky academics to worry about and you've got their panacea. Unfortunately for them, that panacea is nothing more than an NFL development league with Universities as owners.

So how is that any different than what we now have?

Go Green
August 7th, 2014, 09:46 PM

And then they move to West Virginia and run for Congress there.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/alex-mooney-west-virginia-maryland

Believe it or not--this guy played football for Dartmouth.

:)

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Actually, you're missing something. What you envision was tried in the 90's and it fell flat.

False. Over time, the FCS playoffs have expanded, gotten TV coverage equal to low-level bowl games, and generally have been a success competitively for the schools that have competed there. In fact, it's the entire basis of your Sun Belt membership.

The real difference now for FCS is that there is ZERO presence at the table to vote on issues. When FBS (P5 and G5) schools vote, the FCS AD's are shown the door.

False. CrazyCat's post #39.

G5 schools will be allowed to opt-in to the same legislation and will be able to have the same schollies and expanded eligibility as P5 IF they can afford it.

... as will FCS schools. P5 has no different status than FCS schools in the new world order, no matter what alternate realities you and others concoct for yourselves.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Got a link for that? All I could find was what they decided in April

That part hasn't changed. What you referenced is voting on legislation. What I'm talking about are DI Football meetings which have always excluded FCS schools. I've been a fan of I-AA for nearly 30 years, but it's always been clear to me that we were fighting a battle from the perspective of promoting quality college football while the public perception of "college football" is more narrow because of market driven media. There are a handful of schools who are no-brainers for G5 like NDSU, the Montana's, Delaware, and JMU while EKU, Chattanooga, Jax St and perhaps others might be able to move. If schools like those continue to leave, the quality of the football will continue to suffer. Boise, Middle Tenn, Nevada, Marshall, UConn, UMass have all left along with Texas St., Ga Southern, App St., and ODU recently. Central Florida, South Florida, Fla Atlantic, Fla Int'l, South Alabama, Ga State, Charlotte, and UAB have all built programs since the 90's.

All of this will play out over the next decade and I'm sure there are things we can't see now which be factors later. What worries me more is the utter pussification of the sport to the point where defenders can't legally stop a passing game. It starts to look like basketball or arena football.

Go Green
August 7th, 2014, 09:50 PM

Kind of unfair to Georgetown. After all, they've consistently kicked Davidson's asses.

Go Green
August 7th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Ivies are gradually dropping PL schools due to our league's going to scholarships.

Unless you consider "Harvard is replacing Holy Cross with Georgetown" to be evidence of "Ivies are gradually dropping PL schools," this statement has no factual basis.

At least not yet.

CrazyCat
August 7th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Just for future reference . This is the updated Division 1 model. Voting structures,etc.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/DI%20Steering%20Commitee%20on%20Gov%20Proposed%20M odel%2007%2018%2014%204.pdf

eaglesdare
August 8th, 2014, 06:05 AM
There should be a schedule exemption for in state schools so this nonsense doesnt take away Marshall-WV, ECU/Appalachian State/Charlotte vs. NC State/Suke/WF/UNC etc....

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2014, 06:23 AM

By that definition, the Citadel doesn't belong in Division I basketball.

Still, it does.

2ram
August 8th, 2014, 09:23 AM
just have to say lol. everything in the original post sounds exactly like i thought it would play out. i'm hearing increased scholarships, p5 only scheduling, exclusivity, diminishing importance of other teams/leagues.

where is mplbison in this thread? told you so.

citdog
August 8th, 2014, 09:28 AM
By that definition, the Citadel doesn't belong in Division I basketball.

Still, it does.

Is this a basketball thread? YOU are one of the biggest problems in the FCS. Get with the program or get to Div III where you belong.

2ram
August 8th, 2014, 09:38 AM

makes sense. bucknell's waxing of VMI just goes to show how little beating SC teams does for our SOS.

citdog
August 8th, 2014, 09:45 AM
makes sense. bucknell's waxing of VMI just goes to show how little beating SC teams does for our SOS.

VMI was a BIG SOUTH team last season. TRY and keep up.......

MplsBison
August 8th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Fixed it for the writer of this article. This article is a waste of bits and bytes, as not only is it not a majority of coaches in favor, coaches are not in control of scheduling. ADs are.

The 65 Power Five coaches were polled and 12 of them declined to make their opinion known, leaving 53 coaches who voted.

30 voted in favor of exclusive P5 scheduling - 56.6% (30 of 53)
23 voted against exclusive P5 scheduling - 43.4% (23 of 53)

As to your other comment, at NDSU the athletic director mainly just signed the scheduling agreements for non-conference games. The director of football operations did the legwork on finding games to play and getting initial agreement. The head coach is always consulted as to what type of schedule he wants for that season and what games are found available. The head coach absolutely has veto power over scheduling a team that he feels isn't a good fit for that season.

So to claim that the coach has no say at all in the scheduling is specious at best. Misleading, more likely.

MplsBison
August 8th, 2014, 09:53 AM

If they choose to drop their varsity programs rather than have them labeled as DII, that's their choice.

No other convincing is applicable to the conversation, if we're talking about the rest of FCS voting them out of the division. I've never heard of having to convince someone who has been voted out of a group to agree to that circumstance.

2ram
August 8th, 2014, 09:54 AM
VMI was a BIG SOUTH team last season. TRY and keep up.......

yes but aren't they SC now? i'll agree it's an odd move. taking a step down always is.

MplsBison
August 8th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I would be fine with letting Dayton decide if it wants to play D-3 football or FCS football, scholarships or no scholarships. And I have no problem with schools with 40 schollies playing FCS football, or the Ivies doing their thing.

The DIII football schools voted Dayton out of the division (and the rest of DI basketball schools with them). They decided Dayton had an unfair advantage in that it was a DI basketball school, winning too many games in DIII football.

So there is no chance of Pioneer teams or Georgetown going back to DIII.

DII, on the other hand, could be an acceptable home for them (if they want to continue sponsoring a varsity football program). They're unlikely to be able to compete with the top level DII programs, so the same problem that existed before wouldn't reoccur.

CHIP72
August 8th, 2014, 10:21 AM
No NFL teamsincluded in poll?

I sometimes wish that it wasn't written into law that the NFL can't schedule games on Saturdays during the college football season. (They also cannot schedule games on Friday nights during the high school football season.) There's a part of me that would love to see the NFL put major college football in its place and show who is the real top dog.

PAllen
August 8th, 2014, 10:43 AM
So how is that any different than what we now have?

Now they have to have graduated high school.

PAllen
August 8th, 2014, 10:47 AM
And then they move to West Virginia and run for Congress there.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/alex-mooney-west-virginia-maryland

Believe it or not--this guy played football for Dartmouth.

Yeah Mooney's a character. Met him a few times. Always checked that my wallet was still in my pocket afterwards.

Go Green
August 8th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Yeah Mooney's a character. Met him a few times. Always checked that my wallet was still in my pocket afterwards.

That's Alex, all right. Tenacious fundraiser.

I've been doing some fundraising for him (he and I were good friends at Dartmouth). I'd call up one of our classmates, report back to Alex that (s)he said "no" to my fundraising pitch for whatever reason, and Alex would respond "try asking the wife/husband."

Twentysix
August 8th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Give them a grace period of like 5 season to hit 63, if they can't they need to get out. ;)

MplsBison
August 8th, 2014, 12:24 PM
The NEC is ok. They're doing what they can do and they're slowly improving. They're about like what SDSU started out with in the transition up from DII.

catamount man
August 8th, 2014, 02:10 PM
So Clemson's Dabo Swinney wants an all P5 schedule? Sure you do Dabo, sure you do. I live 12 miles from Clemson and once the Tigers started getting their asses handed to them on a weekly basis, Dabo would go the way of Ken Hatfield in Clemson lore. Keep playing SC State Dabo. We see what happens every time you play South Carolina and Florida State. LOL!

citdog
August 8th, 2014, 09:43 PM
yes but aren't they SC now? i'll agree it's an odd move. taking a step down always is.

Only in the Big South and the patsy league is it possible to win 10 games and get no playoff invite. VMI is moving up AND coming home.

DFW HOYA
August 9th, 2014, 03:19 PM
The schools won't drive to move to FBS only scheduling, it will be the networks. The "name, image and likeness" (NIL) sanctioned in the O'Bannon case will lead ESPN and Fox to make sure that those teams they show are sanctioned to show their NIL.

Mississippi State and TCU? Covered.

Mississippi State and Grambling? Not covered.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2014, 06:06 PM
The schools won't drive to move to FBS only scheduling, it will be the networks. The "name, image and likeness" (NIL) sanctioned in the O'Bannon case will lead ESPN and Fox to make sure that those teams they show are sanctioned to show their NIL.

How exactly will TCU pay for this? From their (chuckle) humongous slice of their AAC TV contract?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 9th, 2014, 06:11 PM
How exactly will TCU pay for this? From their (chuckle) humongous slice of their AAC TV contract?

TCU is in the Big 12...

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2014, 06:46 PM
TCU is in the Big 12...

LOL. My bad. Though my point is, this doesn't include the G5. They won't be able to afford it.

CHIP72
August 11th, 2014, 10:26 PM
That's because they would get BEAT by those schools you mention. Your school should just drop football.

Uh, when was the last time The Citadel was relevant in any sport people pay attention to?

BTW, as a friendly reminder, the Military College of South Carolina didn't do a lot to stop General Sherman's hard war tactics from crushing the first Confederate state.

walliver
August 12th, 2014, 10:49 AM
The Mouse House calls the real shots. The Walt Disney Company wants P5 games on ABC and ESPN (1 and 2). And to be honest, they want real P5 games, not Wake Forest vs. Northwestern. Rumors (take 'em for what they're worth) are that C-USA (Sun Belt 2.0) will take a big cut with their next contract. The SBC will probably not gain any revenue from their tiny contract, and may also take a cut.

A lot of posters are trying to spin the issue favorably, but the end result is that the Big 5 will continue to enjoy rising revenue balanced by rapidly rising espenses. Despite the billions of dollars moving around, few Big 5 football programs will actually earn "profits" to be redistributed to schools. All the new revenue will be spent on multi-million dollar coaches contracts, unlimited recruiting staffs, stadium expenses, and marketing/fundraising expenses.

G5 schools will try to keep up, but very few will be able to fund 100+ scholarships + stipends + marketing rights, and a significant number will either drop football (or go to a no scholarship format without the FCS label). Very few, if any, would be willing to "drop down" to FCS. I also suspect that at some point, the G5 will push for more liberal transfer rules, allowing a penalty free transfer for the Big 5 to P5.

For many of us in FCS, there will be little or no change. Loss of a Big 5 money game may lead to a small scholarship reduction at some schools. For the "new" SoCon, it won't make a lot of difference for most schools. The Citadel, Furman, Mercer, Samford, Wofford and VMI will probably remain as a solid core. Chatty may be tempted from time-to-time by the OVC, Sun Belt, MAC or C-USA, but is now more centrally located in the conference with Samford, Mercer, ETSU within reasonable proximity, and probably will hang around for a good while. Hopefully, ETSU can develop decent rivalries with Chatty and WCU.

As it is, we get no TV money and no bowl money, and only one share of March Madness money, so at worst, we would have to make up for the loss of a money game. ASU and GSU are gone ... to some extent they will be missed, but we don't want them back.

What worries me most about the upcoming changes, is the human temptation to over-react and make things worse. We don't need any more subdivisions.

The NCAA should have one sponsored division, FCS, leading to a National Championship. It should have cost-effective limits on scholarships. Schools that choose not to participate in the FCS playoffs can do anything they want to. Those schools could do nothing (Ivy League), have a conference championship (SWAC), have a conference championship and go to a bowl or non-NCAA playoff (P5 and G5). The NCAA needs to drop the blatant anti-trust violation requiring a team to be invited to a FBS conference in order to give more than 63 scholarships. Basically, the NCAA should drop FBS and let teams do what they want, and the problems will take care of themselves.

PAllen
August 12th, 2014, 11:08 AM
The Mouse House calls the real shots. The Walt Disney Company wants P5 games on ABC and ESPN (1 and 2). And to be honest, they want real P5 games, not Wake Forest vs. Northwestern. Rumors (take 'em for what they're worth) are that C-USA (Sun Belt 2.0) will take a big cut with their next contract. The SBC will probably not gain any revenue from their tiny contract, and may also take a cut.

A lot of posters are trying to spin the issue favorably, but the end result is that the Big 5 will continue to enjoy rising revenue balanced by rapidly rising espenses. Despite the billions of dollars moving around, few Big 5 football programs will actually earn "profits" to be redistributed to schools. All the new revenue will be spent on multi-million dollar coaches contracts, unlimited recruiting staffs, stadium expenses, and marketing/fundraising expenses.

G5 schools will try to keep up, but very few will be able to fund 100+ scholarships + stipends + marketing rights, and a significant number will either drop football (or go to a no scholarship format without the FCS label). Very few, if any, would be willing to "drop down" to FCS. I also suspect that at some point, the G5 will push for more liberal transfer rules, allowing a penalty free transfer for the Big 5 to P5.

For many of us in FCS, there will be little or no change. Loss of a Big 5 money game may lead to a small scholarship reduction at some schools. For the "new" SoCon, it won't make a lot of difference for most schools. The Citadel, Furman, Mercer, Samford, Wofford and VMI will probably remain as a solid core. Chatty may be tempted from time-to-time by the OVC, Sun Belt, MAC or C-USA, but is now more centrally located in the conference with Samford, Mercer, ETSU within reasonable proximity, and probably will hang around for a good while. Hopefully, ETSU can develop decent rivalries with Chatty and WCU.

As it is, we get no TV money and no bowl money, and only one share of March Madness money, so at worst, we would have to make up for the loss of a money game. ASU and GSU are gone ... to some extent they will be missed, but we don't want them back.

What worries me most about the upcoming changes, is the human temptation to over-react and make things worse. We don't need any more subdivisions.

The NCAA should have one sponsored division, FCS, leading to a National Championship. It should have cost-effective limits on scholarships. Schools that choose not to participate in the FCS playoffs can do anything they want to. Those schools could do nothing (Ivy League), have a conference championship (SWAC), have a conference championship and go to a bowl or non-NCAA playoff (P5 and G5). The NCAA needs to drop the blatant anti-trust violation requiring a team to be invited to a FBS conference in order to give more than 63 scholarships. Basically, the NCAA should drop FBS and let teams do what they want, and the problems will take care of themselves.

I really like this idea.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 12th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Question is, though, will Vandy, Northwestern and Stanford be able to keep up with the members of their own conference? Northwestern will need 2x or maybe over 3x the amount that Ohio State is going to require for things like NLI and FCOA.

I just don't think FCOA is really a done deal, and the NLI stuff, with the cap and the depositing of money in a trust fund, really isn't a big deal at all. I could see a situation that "autonomy" becomes a gridlocked farce and NLI is much ado about nothing, while the NCAA pretty much keeps on as it always has.

There will always be incentive for the P5 to put a gate around their group to keep all the money for themselves. It will take a lawsuit and/or Congress to say that the P5 are violating antitrust law, and it seems unlikely that would happen, too.

citdog
August 12th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Uh, when was the last time The Citadel was relevant in any sport people pay attention to?

BTW, as a friendly reminder, the Military College of South Carolina didn't do a lot to stop General Sherman's hard war tactics from crushing the first Confederate state.

When did you beat SEC Teams? When did you beat the academies? When have you ever been anything but an autobid from a league that didn't deserve one until the last several years. The Army led by the war criminal you mention was made up of WESTERNERS not northeast scum so you can take no credit there. 'Ol Marse Robert killed a DAMN sight more of yours than you did of his. At least we had the courage of our convictions.....

"Not for fame or reward -
Not for place or for rank -
Not lured by ambition -
Or goaded by necessity -
But in simple -
Obedience to duty -
As they understood it
These men suffered all -
Sacrificed All -
Dared all - And Died -"

From the Confederate Monument at Arlington Natl Cemetery

PAllen
August 13th, 2014, 08:56 AM
When did you beat SEC Teams? When did you beat the academies? When have you ever been anything but an autobid from a league that didn't deserve one until the last several years. The Army led by the war criminal you mention was made up of WESTERNERS not northeast scum so you can take no credit there. 'Ol Marse Robert killed a DAMN sight more of yours than you did of his. At least we had the courage of our convictions.....

"Not for fame or reward -
Not for place or for rank -
Not lured by ambition -
Or goaded by necessity -
But in simple -
Obedience to duty -
As they understood it
These men suffered all -
Sacrificed All -
Dared all - And Died -"

From the Confederate Monument at Arlington Natl Cemetery

Ah Cit, your grasp of FCS history is just a skewed as your grasp of civil war history. There were plenty of folks in the Army of the Tennessee from the Northeast, just as there have been victories over the academies and plenty of deserving teams from the PL like LU '98, Colgate's run to the finals in the early 2000s, not to mention a certain matchup between LU and HC back in the late '80s.

OL FU
August 13th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Ah Cit, your grasp of FCS history is just a skewed as your grasp of civil war history. There were plenty of folks in the Army of the Tennessee from the Northeast, just as there have been victories over the academies and plenty of deserving teams from the PL like LU '98, Colgate's run to the finals in the early 2000s, not to mention a certain matchup between LU and HC back in the late '80s.

It is not lack of grasp. Just a "peculiar" perspectivexnodx

Bison pride
August 13th, 2014, 02:26 PM
itd be fun to have a crystal ball and see if the P5 wants to cripple the fcs

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2014, 02:29 PM

I think to P5 wants to keep the FCS around in order to have bargaining leverage over the G5 in terms of things like guarantee games. What I think they don't want, IMO, is for the G5 and FCS to get together into a super D-I division and exert any form of pressure on the P5.

Bison pride
August 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM
lehigh yes, thats what I was getting at. if G5 and FCS combines it could be fun to watch the fireworks.

walliver
August 13th, 2014, 02:42 PM

The only concern the P5 has about FCS (or the G5 for that matter) is avoiding antitrust issues.

The P5 are quite indifferent concerning us now that they can write their own rules.

2ram
August 13th, 2014, 04:02 PM
g5 and FCS combining? LOL. not for most of us anyway. there may be a handful of top FCS programs with top FCS facilities that might be able to hang with Boise State on a given saturday... but not most saturdays. most FCS programs would simply have to continue playing each other in whatever capacity they are able.

Catbooster
August 13th, 2014, 05:43 PM
g5 and FCS combining? LOL. not for most of us anyway. there may be a handful of top FCS programs with top FCS facilities that might be able to hang with Boise State on a given saturday... but not most saturdays. most FCS programs would simply have to continue playing each other in whatever capacity they are able.

Choosing Boise State as your representative example of G5 teams is only a little more valid than if you used Idaho as your example. Both are outliers as examples of G5 teams/schools.

I think a fairly good percentage of FCS teams would compete well with G5 teams, given a few years of getting the programs on the same rules (primarily getting them all to the same number of scholarships, coaches, budgets). The question is, will many of the FCS schools want to make their programs more expensive, or will many of the G5 want to cut theirs back?

I don't know what will happen in the future, but I think the largest hurdle of getting G5 and FCS combined is getting those of us who buy into the cost containment model of FCS and those who buy into the "big time" of G5 to agree to the same rules. In other words, the political and "image" issues are bigger than the talent discrepancy.

MplsBison
August 13th, 2014, 09:03 PM

Actually, that's one thing I was curious about.

The lawyers for the plaintiffs broke the lawsuit into two parts, one for TV broadcasts and one for everything else (video games, merchandise, etc.).

Everything I read leading up to the trial said that they were unlikely to win the TV broadcast portion of the suit.

But then I didn't read anything about that in the judges ruling. So as far as I can tell, the NIL verdict becomes narrowly focused on the schools and how much money they each are going to choose to put into a trust account for each football and basketball player per year as compensation for using their NIL on non-TV broadcast related things.

Any insight?

MplsBison
August 13th, 2014, 09:05 PM
LOL. My bad. Though my point is, this doesn't include the G5. They won't be able to afford it.

Afford what?

Just because the NCAA makes a new rule saying that schools may choose to distribute up to $5000/player/year into a trust account for qualifying FBS football and DI basketball players does not mean that any school will choose to put a single dollar into such accounts.

I fear, once again, you've conflated FCOA valued scholarships with the NIL ruling.

MplsBison
August 13th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Question is, though, will Vandy, Northwestern and Stanford be able to keep up with the members of their own conference? Northwestern will need 2x or maybe over 3x the amount that Ohio State is going to require for things like NLI and FCOA.

I just don't think FCOA is really a done deal, and the NLI stuff, with the cap and the depositing of money in a trust fund, really isn't a big deal at all. I could see a situation that "autonomy" becomes a gridlocked farce and NLI is much ado about nothing, while the NCAA pretty much keeps on as it always has.

There will always be incentive for the P5 to put a gate around their group to keep all the money for themselves. It will take a lawsuit and/or Congress to say that the P5 are violating antitrust law, and it seems unlikely that would happen, too.

Going to school in Evanston, IL incurs 2x to 3x the incidental living expenses as going to school in Columbus, OH does? I think not.

As for NIL, the NCAA has just been allowed to set a maximum per player per year cap. How can you possibly say that Northwestern will be at a disadvantage providing this money to it's players versus the public schools in the conference? Every school is going to be providing the same amount, potentially the maximum.

And for that matter, all three of those football programs seem to be doing just fine in their respective conferences. NW and Van aren't winning the title, but they aren't in last place and getting crushed every game either. And Stanford *is* winning the title.

Finally, you can dream of this "gate" all you want, but the fact of the matter is that with every iteration of the major college football postseason system (from Bowl Alliance to CFP), the G5 schools have gained MORE access and MORE money than the previous iteration.

That's some gate. Transparent, as it were...

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Afford what?

Just because the NCAA makes a new rule saying that schools may choose to distribute up to $5000/player/year into a trust account for qualifying FBS football and DI basketball players does not mean that any school will choose to put a single dollar into such accounts.

I fear, once again, you've conflated FCOA valued scholarships with the NIL ruling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/sports/ncaafootball/fresno-state-faces-the-task-of-keeping-up-with-the-big-5s.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid%3D=tw-nytsports

“Basically, we’re trying to look like a Cadillac on a Chevrolet budget,” Boeh said.

The athletics budget is about $30 million, below that of the 65 universities playing in the five richest conferences, which received preliminary approval from the N.C.A.A. last week to rewrite rules in their favor (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/sports/ncaafootball/ncaa-votes-to-give-greater-autonomy-to-richest-conferences.html?_r=2) to basically allow their universities to spend more money on the athletes that fuel their programs. More than a dozen programs currently spend about $100 million on athletics.

A significant court ruling on Friday, one of many cases that may upend the tradition of amateurism in college sports (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/sports/federal-judge-rules-against-ncaa-in-obannon-case.html), could lead to more compensation for players — something that Fresno State, with 225 athletic scholarships, probably cannot afford to match.

“Does this become business as usual, where you do what you can to keep up?” Boeh asked. “Or is there a critical point where some institutions say we don’t want to play in this game anymore? To date, I haven’t heard of any institution say, ‘We’re not going to do all we can to stay competitive.’ ”

Basically, Fresno State - one of the richer G5 schools, mind - is wondering if they can keep up in the arms race, while still saying that the pressure to "keep up" is enormous, basically making my point that it is unaffordable. If the P5 start offering thousands to their athletes, the G5 will be under huge pressure to match it.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Going to school in Evanston, IL incurs 2x to 3x the incidental living expenses as going to school in Columbus, OH does? I think not.

This may surprise you, but the same books that cost $25 in Columbus don't cost $25 in Boston. The cost of living in Nebraska is a pittance compared to Palo Alto. $5000 in Palo Alto doesn't buy nearly as much as $5000 in Lincoln, NE, which is why it's not going to be one flat number, because it would offer a massive disadvantage to coast schools.

MplsBison
August 13th, 2014, 09:30 PM
This may surprise you, but the same books that cost $25 in Columbus don't cost $25 in Boston. The cost of living in Nebraska is a pittance compared to Palo Alto. $5000 in Palo Alto doesn't buy nearly as much as $5000 in Lincoln, NE, which is why it's not going to be one flat number, because it would offer a massive disadvantage to coast schools.

What happened to comparing Evanston and Columbus??

I didn't say that FCOA valued scholarships would result in a flat increase in "full" scholarship valuations across the country.

I said that Northwestern is not going to be at any significant disadvantage compared to Ohio State.

MplsBison
August 13th, 2014, 09:32 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/sports/ncaafootball/fresno-state-faces-the-task-of-keeping-up-with-the-big-5s.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid%3D=tw-nytsports

Basically, Fresno State - one of the richer G5 schools, mind - is wondering if they can keep up in the arms race, while still saying that the pressure to "keep up" is enormous, basically making my point that it is unaffordable. If the P5 start offering thousands to their athletes, the G5 will be under huge pressure to match it.

If the P5 start paying their head coaches multi-millions per year, the G5 will be under huge pressure to match it.

2ram
August 13th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Choosing Boise State as your representative example of G5 teams is only a little more valid than if you used Idaho as your example. Both are outliers as examples of G5 teams/schools.

I think a fairly good percentage of FCS teams would compete well with G5 teams, given a few years of getting the programs on the same rules (primarily getting them all to the same number of scholarships, coaches, budgets). The question is, will many of the FCS schools want to make their programs more expensive, or will many of the G5 want to cut theirs back?

I don't know what will happen in the future, but I think the largest hurdle of getting G5 and FCS combined is getting those of us who buy into the cost containment model of FCS and those who buy into the "big time" of G5 to agree to the same rules. In other words, the political and "image" issues are bigger than the talent discrepancy.

while i'll agree boise state was as aggressive as i could make the point, i don't think the point isn't made. pick an average g5 team and an average fcs team. i'll put my $ on the g5 and over the long haul i'll do better than a vegas casino... by far.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 13th, 2014, 11:54 PM
while i'll agree boise state was as aggressive as i could make the point, i don't think the point isn't made. pick an average g5 team and an average fcs team. i'll put my $ on the g5 and over the long haul i'll do better than a vegas casino... by far.

The average G5 football facilities blow the average FCS digs out of the water; to the point of being comical.

FCS and the G5 are not merging. The AAC and MWC have already said, and not laughed at, that they would follow a similar path to the P5. The P5 conferences are not expanding. Plus, the UConn's, Houston's, academies, Cincy's, Boise's, UCF's, Temple's of the world have just enough clout to avoid a complete catastrophe.

These teams will have a spot in a major bowl and will get "consideration " for the playoff under the right circumstances. Many believe there will be a bone thrown to a "cinderella"every now and again to keep it "interesting".

Lehigh Football Nation
August 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM
This subject should be put to bed.

* FCS doesn't want to merge with G5 because the upper echelon of those schools don't resemble the majority of FCS (UConn, Nevada, Boise State, all three ironically former FCS schools)
* G5 doesn't want to merge with FCS because folks at App State and Georgia Southern would see it as a humiliating defeat to their "we're the same as USC!" aspirations, even though it really isn't
* P5 doesn't want G5 and FCS to merge because that would allow both to collude on increasing guarantee game $$ and could potentially pose a threat to P5 in terms of raw power

If nobody wants it, no point in having the discussion.

darell1976
August 14th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I don't think I ever read, but when talking about the p5 either separating from the NCAA or paying players...does that include Notre Dame?? Or since they are Independent will they be considered g5?

Lehigh'98
August 14th, 2014, 10:45 PM
I don't think I ever read, but when talking about the p5 either separating from the NCAA or paying players...does that include Notre Dame?? Or since they are Independent will they be considered g5?

Notre Dame is considered P5. They have a massive tv contract w NBC. Generally they say P5 plus ND.

darell1976
August 14th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Notre Dame is considered P5. They have a massive tv contract w NBC. Generally they say P5 plus ND.

Thanks

Lehigh Football Nation
August 15th, 2014, 11:55 AM
http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/ph-ac-cs-navy-future-0815-20140814,0,2863973,full.story

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick has told multiple media outlets that he fully intends to honor the current contract with Navy, which extends through 2026. Head coach Brian Kelly recently called Navy "a top 30 team fairly consistently" and said "I don't think you can count Navy out of the conversation."

"I have no reason to believe that Navy and Notre Dame will not continue to play each other in football," Gladchuk said. "Considering the mutual respect the head coaches have, the athletic directors have, the president and superintendent have… I don't see any issues there. It's a game with a history that is well-documented. I have no doubt this tradition will continue well into the future."

Navy opens the 2014 season against Ohio State, the back end of a home-and-home contract that has proved quite lucrative for the Naval Academy Athletic Association. The Midshipmen have routinely played schools from the Power Five conferences and Gladchuk admitted those days are now gone.

Beginning in 2015, Navy will be required to play eight AAC contests while also continuing its traditional games against Army, Air Force and Notre Dame. That leaves just one opening on the schedule and Gladchuk said it will no doubt be filled by a beatable opponent.

Some of this comes from Navy's upcoming AAC schedule, and another comes from the Notre Dame/Navy arrangement. But getting another P5 opponent seems awfully remote as a possibility, as is Navy ever making it to the CFP.

aceinthehole
August 15th, 2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/ph-ac-cs-navy-future-0815-20140814,0,2863973,full.story

Some of this comes from Navy's upcoming AAC schedule, and another comes from the Notre Dame/Navy arrangement. But getting another P5 opponent seems awfully remote as a possibility, as is Navy ever making it to the CFP.

IMO - Navy made a huge mistake joining the BigEast/American for football. They could have pulled off an Indepmendent schedule for years, soemthing like this:

2 games vs. P5 (Away/Neutral/Baltimore/DC)
1 game vs. Notre Dame (Away/Neutral/Baltimore/DC)
1 game vs. Air Force (Home/Away)
1 game vs. Army (Neutral)
1 game vs. FCS (Home)
6 games vs. G5 teams (Home/Away)

The G5 games are all winnable and they can play all over thecountry (South Florida, North Texas, San Diego State, Old Dominion, Tulane,Northern Illinois, Hawaii, etc.)

Lehigh Football Nation
August 15th, 2014, 12:44 PM
IMO - Navy made a huge mistake joining the BigEast/American for football. They could have pulled off an Indepmendent schedule for years, soemthing like this:

1 game vs. FCS (Home)

The G5 games are all winnable and they can play all over the country (South Florida, North Texas, San Diego State, Old Dominion, Tulane,Northern Illinois, Hawaii, etc.)

I completely agree. As a matter of fact I am continually surprised that they're holding up to their side of the bargain of joining, as it's an entirely different landscape now.

MplsBison
August 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM
This subject should be put to bed.

* FCS doesn't want to merge with G5 because the upper echelon of those schools don't resemble the majority of FCS (UConn, Nevada, Boise State, all three ironically former FCS schools)
* G5 doesn't want to merge with FCS because folks at App State and Georgia Southern would see it as a humiliating defeat to their "we're the same as USC!" aspirations, even though it really isn't
* P5 doesn't want G5 and FCS to merge because that would allow both to collude on increasing guarantee game $$ and could potentially pose a threat to P5 in terms of raw power

If nobody wants it, no point in having the discussion.

Quite right, no mergers of FCS and G5 conferences for any foreseeable future.

Now back to the discussion of the thread. You can start by answering posts #90 and #91.

MplsBison
August 15th, 2014, 02:30 PM

1 game vs. FCS (Home)

The G5 games are all winnable and they can play all over thecountry (South Florida, North Texas, San Diego State, Old Dominion, Tulane,Northern Illinois, Hawaii, etc.)

AAC should've taken an all-sports member for their 12th. UMass would make the most sense.

MplsBison
August 17th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Interesting article from Fargo Forum's sports editor.

www.inforum.com/content/are -days-playing-big-boys-done-ndsu-football

In 13 days, another North Dakota State football team will be playing another major-conference opponent when it travels to Iowa State. But with no major opponent scheduled yet for 2015 and the one scheduled for 2016 providing no guarantee that game will take place, are the days of NDSU taking on the big boys coming to end?

“Oh no, it’s definitely not coming to an end,” NDSU’s Jeremy Jorgenson emphatically answered this week.

The Power 5 conferences (the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12) are also feeling out the new playoff system that begins this season. Former NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor – who recently moved into his new deputy director of athletics office at the big-boy school University of Iowa – thinks a lot of FBS schools are in a holding pattern right now in terms of scheduling FCS opponents.

“They are kind of waiting to see how this championship series will play out and how the selection will play out in terms of strength of schedule,” Taylor said. “Right now, I think a lot of schools who think they may have a run at a national title are less likely to play an FCS school.”

So far now, Jorgenson continues to look for the big boys – expanding his search from the Big Ten to the Big 12 and Pac 12. If he finds one, it could fill next year’s open date that could be used to revive the rivalry with UND.

“I’m exploring every option for next year … an FBS game is not out of the question,” said Jorgenson, who said his FBS search includes very few schools east of the Mississippi. “We have definitely expanded farther south.”

Zero chance they schedule an FBS in 2015. That would provide only five home games, which is against the rules for the NDSU athletic department. The FBS would have to pay way more money than they'd be willing to offer to make up the lost home game revenue.

It'll be UND in 2015 as the sixth home game. Take that to the bank. And if you're looking for someone to blame, you'll have to blame Gene Taylor for scheduling the home/homes with Montana and Weber and leaving us no flexibility for 2015.

As for the Iowa game in 2016, I have a feeling it's going to be bought out. Iowa won't be able to risk losing to an FCS team as they try to qualify for the CFP and boost the B1G strength of schedule.

BisonFan02
August 17th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Interesting article from Fargo Forum's sports editor.

www.inforum.com/content/are -days-playing-big-boys-done-ndsu-football

Zero chance they schedule an FBS in 2015. That would provide only five home games, which is against the rules for the NDSU athletic department. The FBS would have to pay way more money than they'd be willing to offer to make up the lost home game revenue.

It'll be UND in 2015 as the sixth home game. Take that to the bank. And if you're looking for someone to blame, you'll have to blame Gene Taylor for scheduling the home/homes with Montana and Weber and leaving us no flexibility for 2015.

As for the Iowa game in 2016, I have a feeling it's going to be bought out. Iowa won't be able to risk losing to an FCS team as they try to qualify for the CFP and boost the B1G strength of schedule.

UND @ NDSU at the Fargodome....2009....bank it!

MplsBison
August 17th, 2014, 05:50 PM
UND @ NDSU at the Fargodome....2009....bank it!

Not sure if this is a reference to something or perhaps an inside joke you have with yourself?

Anyway, in 2015 NDSU will require six home games just as they've had every season since 2008 (2009 being an exception, due to keeping our word on the return trip to SHSU from 2007 H/H). With away trips to Montana and a home game from Weber St (and 2015 being an 11 game year), that requires a home game to NDSU.

UND and NDSU have like open dates. Taylor is adios. The stars have aligned.

And if it pisses off 30-50 old white men who post on the internet, all the better!! :D

Go...gate
August 18th, 2014, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=aceinthehole;2129127]IMO - Navy made a huge mistake joining the BigEast/American for football. They could have pulled off an Indepmendent schedule for years, soemthing like this:

1 game vs. FCS (Home)

The G5 games are all winnable and they can play all over thecountry (South Florida, North Texas, San Diego State, Old Dominion, Tulane,Northern Illinois, Hawaii, etc.)[/QUTE]

Don't be surprised if Navy gets out of that AAC commitment somehow. If I were Navy, I'd sue the AAC and claim the conference membership was misrepresented, then return to Independent status.

MplsBison
August 18th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Don't be surprised if Navy gets out of that AAC commitment somehow. If I were Navy, I'd sue the AAC and claim the conference membership was misrepresented, then return to Independent status.

I'd like to see that happen.

Then the AAC can add an all-sports member as their 12th. UMass would be high up on the list.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I'd like to see that happen.

Then the AAC can add an all-sports member as their 12th. UMass would be high up on the list.

... which neither UMass nor UConn (read: the AAC) want to do. UMass, if anything, want AAC membership in football only. UConn's white-hot hatred of UMass wants nothing to do with UMass in anything.

MplsBison
August 18th, 2014, 01:37 PM
... which neither UMass nor UConn (read: the AAC) want to do. UMass, if anything, want AAC membership in football only. UConn's white-hot hatred of UMass wants nothing to do with UMass in anything.

UMass absolutely wants all-sports membership in the AAC. Better basketball and a home for football, not to mention rivalries in both sports with similar institutions.

Any hatred there may have been is decades ago. UConn doesn't care one iota about UMass anymore and would welcome an easy trip and opportunity for a Mass/Conn series.

How are you so out of touch?