PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina (2019, 2024) and Furman (2017, 2021) heading to NC State; other FCS

catamount man
August 7th, 2014, 11:51 AM
http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/08/nc-state-adds-15-games-future-football-schedules/ xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
August 7th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Glad to see them on the schedule again. First time since 1985 that Furman and NCSU have linked up. Paladins beat them in '84 and '85.

Next few seasons give something to talk about with recruits: South Carolina ('14), Virginia Tech ('15), Michigan State ('16) and NC State ('17)

PaladinNation
August 7th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Glad to see them on the schedule again. First time since 1985 that Furman and NCSU have linked up. Paladins beat them in '84 and '85.

Next few seasons give something to talk about with recruits: South Carolina ('14), Virginia Tech ('15), Michigan State ('16) and NC State ('17)

great point…

would love to see Furman now play some more out of conference matches with solid FCS schools.

JSU is set
Would love to see home and home with east coast schools: W&M, Richmond, Towson, Lehigh
And Southwest and Western Schools: SFA or McNeese, Montanta, NDSU, Cal Poly

PaladinFan
August 7th, 2014, 02:22 PM
great point…

would love to see Furman now play some more out of conference matches with solid FCS schools.

JSU is set
Would love to see home and home with east coast schools: W&M, Richmond, Towson, Lehigh
And Southwest and Western Schools: SFA or McNeese, Montanta, NDSU, Cal Poly

Got some good ones. Coastal Carolina and Jacksonville State are pretty good additions.

As much as I'd like to see big national games with FCS schools, I think the economy prohibits a lot of those contests from taking place.

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 02:38 PM
furman and western have something else in common besides these games and purple. they both SUCK.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2014, 02:55 PM
A Furman-Lehigh series makes sense imo. Lehigh did a home and home with SoCon brethren Wofford several years ago.

Didn't Furman have a H&H with Colgate recently?

PaladinFan
August 7th, 2014, 02:58 PM
A Furman-Lehigh series makes sense imo. Lehigh did a home and home with SoCon brethren Wofford several years ago.

We did. 2008 in NY and 2010 in SC.

OL FU
August 7th, 2014, 04:17 PM

That would be great. I would like to play some Patriot teams. Fordham would be cool for the NYC trip.xnodx

Would love to play some Ivy teams also. Would we have to join the Patriot league for a weekendxeyebrowx

citdog
August 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM
That would be great. I would like to play some Patriot teams. Fordham would be cool for the NYC trip.xnodx

Would love to play some Ivy teams also. Would we have to join the Patriot league for a weekendxeyebrowx

Lots of yankee scum in the formerly Southern Baptist school. I guess they'd like a weekend at home........

PAllen
August 7th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Got some good ones. Coastal Carolina and Jacksonville State are pretty good additions.

As much as I'd like to see big national games with FCS schools, I think the economy prohibits a lot of those contests from taking place.

That's the issue. How much money do you want your program to lose traveling to that marque FCS game?

thirdgendin
August 7th, 2014, 10:10 PM
That's the issue. How much money do you want your program to lose traveling to that marque FCS game?

Our two previous presidents saw these trips to the mid atlantic and northeast as university recruiting and marketing trips. Thus, in the past 10-15 years we had games at Colgate, Richmond, William & Mary, and Hofstra. With a new president and a slower economy these days, we're staying more southeastern in our scheduling, it seems. No FCS plane trips have been added in years.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Our two previous presidents saw these trips to the mid atlantic and northeast as university recruiting and marketing trips. Thus, in the past 10-15 years we had games at Colgate, Richmond, William & Mary, and Hofstra. With a new president and a slower economy these days, we're staying more southeastern in our scheduling, it seems. No FCS plane trips have been added in years.

You could make an argument that with the inclusion of lacrosse, the need for the football team to travel that far is heavily mitigated.

Furman fans, I think, would love to see ooc games against other FCS programs. I just personally think it is cost prohibitive. Just the way the schedule lined up, but last year Furman played 14 games and all but 4 (GSU, UTC, LSU, NDSU) were in the Carolinas.