PDA

View Full Version : It's official, ASU Lineman chooses Griz.

Ronbo
June 21st, 2005, 12:42 PM
This guys a naughty stud. Hope he learned his lesson and keeps his nose clean. From the Spokane paper. You need to register to read.

Spokesman Review Story (https://secure.spokesmanreview.com/onlinesub/login.aspx?referrer=http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/topstory.asp?ID=76049&ReturnUrl=http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/topstory.asp?ID=76049)

Former Sun Devil Russum headed for Montana

June 21, 2005

Brent Russum has decided to become a Grizzly.

The former Lewiston Bengal who was dismissed from the Arizona State University football team in March, is bound for Montana, his step-father Ron Pardue said.

Russum had narrowed his choices to Idaho, Eastern Washington and Montana.

Russum and fellow redshirt freshman Jonathan Lehmann were kicked off ASU's team after they allegedly photographed a female student, without her permission, while she was nude.

The case is in grand jury proceedings and Russum is expected to return to Arizona later this month, Pardue said.

Depending on the outcome of legal issues, Russum could be eligible to play this fall at Montana under NCAA rules regarding transfers from a Division I-A school to a I-AA program. The Grizzlies won I-AA titles in 1995 and 2001 and lost in last year's title game.

The 6-foot-5, 275-pound Russum is an offensive lineman.

Tilldog40
June 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM
Looks like Montana has high student standards. They will take just about any piece of crap. I had tyson is going to sign as well as Michael Jackson.

Ronbo
June 21st, 2005, 12:54 PM
We don't consider anyone with drug or assualt issues. In fact two of our starters were booted off our team in the last couple years for fighting. This guy pulled a "American Pie" stunt and it's still not determined if he even knew his room mate was filming. Brent was making out with the girl and the other player was filming. Did he know in advance or was he taken in too?

By the way this kids a 3.8 student. Don't be such a jealous, envious, a hole! We get great players and you don't. :D

Green Cookie Monster
June 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM
I had tyson is going to sign as well as Michael Jackson.

:lmao:

Tilldog40
June 21st, 2005, 01:15 PM
A 3.8 student at ASU. Thats like saying he takes honors classes in high school. ASU is a joke.

Griz Grunt
June 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM
:lmao:

GCM knew something the rest of us didn't.

http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/Tyson-Jackson.gif:nod: ;) :nod:

Green Cookie Monster
June 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM
GCM knew something the rest of us didn't.

http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/Tyson-Jackson.gif:nod: ;) :nod:

Is that Don Read next to Tyson?

You forgot Emmanuel Lewis, we use him as a practice ball.

You know your daddy Don Read is a Sac State alum.

SoCon48
June 21st, 2005, 02:01 PM
Sounds like the Grand Jury, not the Dean of Admissions is calling the shots.
Embarrassing.

AggiePride
June 21st, 2005, 03:10 PM
WHy would you be boasting about this guy? I guess when football is all you care about....

FU97
June 21st, 2005, 04:09 PM
This guys a naughty stud. Hope he learned his lesson and keeps his nose clean. From the Spokane paper. You need to register to read.

Spokesman Review Story (https://secure.spokesmanreview.com/onlinesub/login.aspx?referrer=http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/topstory.asp?ID=76049&ReturnUrl=http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/topstory.asp?ID=76049)

June 21, 2005

The former Lewiston Bengal who was dismissed from the Arizona State University football team in March, is bound for Montana, his step-father Ron Pardue said.

Russum and fellow redshirt freshman Jonathan Lehmann were kicked off ASU's team after they allegedly photographed a female student, without her permission, while she was nude.

The case is in grand jury proceedings and Russum is expected to return to Arizona later this month, Pardue said.

Depending on the outcome of legal issues, Russum could be eligible to play this fall at Montana under NCAA rules regarding transfers from a Division I-A school to a I-AA program. The Grizzlies won I-AA titles in 1995 and 2001 and lost in last year's title game.

Hmm. I happy to think that Furman would likley pass on a guy like this until well after his legal issues are resolved. He might be a good player, but you'd have to significantly question his character, particularly if the charges pan out.

eaglesrthe1
June 21st, 2005, 04:43 PM
By the way this kids a 3.8 student.

With a major in film direction. :D

"Lift your leg a little higher, the lighting is better up there". :eek:

Marcus Garvey
June 21st, 2005, 05:01 PM
Hey, everybody deserves a 2nd chance. It's 3rd chances (i.e., Hakiim Hill) that people don't deserve.

The main reason he got booted from the team is because Arizona State is under the microscope due to the Loren Wade incident. They can't risk the bad P.R. they'll take if they gave Russum another shot. In case you forgot, Wade is the idiot that shot another club-goer at a nightclub in Scottsdale. In the irony of ironies, his victim was a former Sun Devil football player!

Ronbo
June 21st, 2005, 10:29 PM
I certainly don't condone this fellas acts but this is a somewhat lesser offense than an assault or drug bust.

A post from eGriz.

What's being reported at this time is that this woman came to Russum's dorm, drunk, and started making out with him in the presence of his roomate. As the sex progressed in front of the roomate, the roomate got out a video camera and began filming the woman and Russum.
The sex seemed to be consentual. The crime, if there is one, seems to be rooted in voyeurism, though the woman surely knew Russum's roomate was there. I don't know how she wouldn't know, dorm rooms being what they are.

DaGriz
June 22nd, 2005, 12:28 AM
I love how many people have the "Holier than thou" attitude. I think a lot of Griz fans were the same way when the N.Iowa player socked our player in the nads a few years ago saying one of our players would never do that. Griz fans wouldn't let it die until the big punch last year in the championship game by one of our lineman. You don't know what your players, coaches or AD will do or act in different circumstances. You think every high school kid being recruited by our colleges have perfect tract records? I guess if Randy Moss came knocking a few years ago because he had just beat his girlfriend when she lost his joint and he got kicked out of school, FU or Davis or many other schools would have said, "Sorry we can't take you because our moral standards, but our rival Sac. St or GSU is just down the street." Right.

gtapp
June 22nd, 2005, 12:44 AM
Being a MSU Bobcat I really, REALLY don't like the Griz. BUT, I like giving players a second chance, especially when the offense is not overly serious. We took Jr. Adams from OSU a few years ago after he got into a fight at a party. He not only turned out to be a great player but a great student and and great citizen. He is now a coach on the team an an outstanding member and volunteer for the city. While I hope this kid is a flop on the field I also hope he learns from his mistakes and graduates.

ChickenMan
June 22nd, 2005, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't be too quick to judge this guy... as many times charges/accusations are made against individuals that are later are dropped or found to have no merrit. I remember an incident involving a UD player back in the '90s... he was accused of some sort of sexual misconduct and suspended from the university. The charges vs that player... a DE... I can't recall the name... were later dropped and the guy ended up transfering to 1A Louisville and being their starting DE.

Brent
June 22nd, 2005, 09:49 AM

June 21, 2005

Good luck to Russum at Montana...I know where his buddy Lehman just landed and he better clean up his act as well.

SoCon48
June 22nd, 2005, 09:51 AM
The Griz should simply wait until the Grand Jury makes its decision and not even mention the guy until it does...then very carefully make the decision.

As far as sex cases on campus are concerned..very often the girl drops the charges when they see what they have to go through to proceed.

GrizzlyEdd
June 22nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
Ok kids... now that we know that every other I-AA program in the nation is as pure as Saints:eek: and the Griz can only win with dumb convicts, can we move on here.... let's be realistic shall we:mad:

justballn21
June 22nd, 2005, 09:41 PM
man o man don't we have a smack board for these kinda threads?

SoCon48
June 23rd, 2005, 08:45 AM
Pure as saints? Nope, but waiting until a grand jury is through is only common sense. Unless the Griz want a star for another remake of The Longest Yard.
Marshall had great success with this type player.

grizchik
June 23rd, 2005, 02:41 PM
The poor kid has the misfortune of being scrutinized under the media microscope!!! I for one am glad my life is not subject to such attention and judgment. How do you think YOU would stack up?

SoCon48
June 23rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
Stack up? I'm not aware of any Grand Jury indictments for me.
Plus the media would bore themselves to death examining me.

VictorG
June 23rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
Pure as saints? Nope, but waiting until a grand jury is through is only common sense. Unless the Griz want a star for another remake of The Longest Yard.
Marshall had great success with this type player.

All I've heard is that he committed to the Griz. I didn't hear if he got a scollie or even a promise of one. So far from what I know, any commitment has just come from the kid. What's the risk at this point?

GrizzlyEdd
June 23rd, 2005, 03:45 PM
All I've heard is that he committed to the Griz. I didn't hear if he got a scollie or even a promise of one. So far from what I know, any commitment has just come from the kid. What's the risk at this point?

My thought exactly VictorG. I have not heard of any signings or that he has started the enrollment process yet. But, ya know there are those Griz wannabe's who just have to put down anything that is Griz.:spank:

AggiePride
June 23rd, 2005, 06:06 PM
I only made a comment about coming here and boasting about it like it was big news. Of course people should get second chances and every team out there makes exceptions, but I would not run around bragging and that was the only thing my comment was aimed at.

eaglesrthe1
June 23rd, 2005, 06:44 PM
My thought exactly VictorG. I have not heard of any signings or that he has started the enrollment process yet. But, ya know there are those Griz wannabe's who just have to put down anything that is Griz.:spank:

I wouldn't think that there would be any risk...for the kid.

eaglesrthe1
June 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
The poor kid has the misfortune of being scrutinized under the media microscope!!! I for one am glad my life is not subject to such attention and judgment. How do you think YOU would stack up?

Poor, poor kid! Seems that HE isn't the one that's "under the microscope". It looks like it's a pattern of behavior.

http://www.asuwebdevil.com/issues/2005/04/06/news/692759

Ronbo
June 23rd, 2005, 08:37 PM
I only made a comment about coming here and boasting about it like it was big news. Of course people should get second chances and every team out there makes exceptions, but I would not run around bragging and that was the only thing my comment was aimed at.

You bet cha it's a brag. An ASU fan came to eGriz and congratulated the Griz. Said that Dirk Koetter hated to lose this kid. With the graduation losses on the O-Line Russum might have been starting in the Pac 10 in 2005 and at the very least would have been a backup. He's that good. You don't get 3 Pac 10 offers unless you're pretty good. Watch him become a IAA All American by his Soph year. :D