PDA

View Full Version : 2014: SLC vs SWAC

Panther88
August 5th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Alabama State University vs Sam Houston State University
Prairie View A&M University vs McNeese State University
Grambling State University vs Lamar University.
Southern University vs Northwestern State University.

I hope I haven't overlooked another contest between the 2 conferences. So, how does it stack up? Competitive this fall? Blowout central (again)? lol

Where's Doc/FmrPokeCtr et al? I have a bone to pick w/ you.

TexasTerror
August 5th, 2014, 04:45 PM
I think Prairie View vs McNeese State is the only game that could be far from competitive... McNeese is top 10, 15 ranked across the board and will be a contender in the Southland Conference...

Lamar vs Grambling will be an interesting since you have a program where the coaches are on the proverbial hot seat playing a game that is almost as definite a win as they come as they need to win to gain momentum heading into Southland Conference play.

Sam Houston State will have had a game behind them which will give Alabama State a chance to see what the new coaching staff is doing. SHSU has a lengthy home win streak and if SHSU is coming off a win (or competitive game against EWU), there should be some enthusiasm there to help carry the Bearkats.

Northwestern State is a program on the rise. I know Jay Thomas will do a good job there, but do expect Southern to give them a good challenge.

Favor the Southland 3-to-1... glad to see more match-ups though with the SLC and SWAC both having a 'mandate' next year (ugh ugh ugh), probably limited opportunities for such contests in the future.

Sammy94
August 5th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Funny SFA stayed away from the SWAC this year. :D

TheRevSFA
August 5th, 2014, 04:58 PM

Yeah that loss was a blessing in disguise for us

Panther88
August 5th, 2014, 05:03 PM

Play nice lol. xlolx I was about to mention that it was a shame that SFA couldn't secure a common date w/ a SWAC opponent.

I won't comment on the PVAMU vs McN tilt until Doc/FrmrPokCtr or someone of the blue/gold variety tells me who the starting qb is. :D I have a VERY specific reason why I refuse to comment until that known, is known. :D

As for the rest, Bama St was pretty physically loaded last year and even w/ the those 9 no-shows, I think they will be decently physically stacked again. However, their coaching... atrocious at worst. SHSU has a new guy @ HC so I'm not sure if the philosophy changed. I know a lot of great talent left this past spr (Flanders, Bookie, et al), so, questions will be answered w/ regards to depth-quality. ;)

GSU vs Lamar? I'm not sure which GSU squad/coached team will show up lol. They've really fallen off over the last few years. Fobbs may have them where they need to be soon, I'm not sure. This is a toss-up.

Jags vs the demons? I think the Jags have questions @ the qb position (depth/experience). Otherwise, their team is somewhat intact, along w/ their coaching staff. I know NWSU is surging (again), so, I think that will be a pretty good contest for the 2013 SWAC champion Jags.

2-2 2014 SWAC vs SLC

FormerPokeCenter
August 5th, 2014, 07:45 PM
I don't know who the starting QB is...I know who everybody EXPECTS it to be..But, I'm a Bolfing fan. I hope he has the kind of camp that sees him emerge as the starter! ;) I thought he should have played more last year!

McNeese72
August 6th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I won't comment on the PVAMU vs McN tilt until Doc/FrmrPokCtr or someone of the blue/gold variety tells me who the starting qb is. :D I have a VERY specific reason why I refuse to comment until that known, is known. :D

Starting QB is not known for sure, yet. We got a lot of new faces that we need to see where and how they fit in the holes we have. If they don't fit, we will suck. If they do fit, we have a chance to be decent again.

Doc

Panther88
August 6th, 2014, 10:32 AM
:( P88 really, REALLY wants to know who the starter will be @ qb. :( I've researched the returnees and Mac is quite loaded.

McNeese72
August 6th, 2014, 10:52 AM
:( P88 really, REALLY wants to know who the starter will be @ qb. :( I've researched the returnees and Mac is quite loaded.

We really don't know for sure, yet, because we haven't taken a single snap of preseason workouts. Now, if I was a betting man, I would put my money on No. 4 because of the talent he brings.

Doc

WestCoastAggie
August 6th, 2014, 10:52 AM
If Ala. State finally plays up to their potential, Sam Houston State will be in a battle.

Panther88
August 6th, 2014, 11:04 AM
If Ala. State finally plays up to their potential, Sam Houston State will be in a battle.

AlaSU's coaching capability is atrocious, WestCoast. That in itself will give SHSU a +10 pt advantage lol.

WileECoyote06
August 6th, 2014, 11:09 AM
SWAC wins - Southern
SLC wins - Lamar, Sam Houston, McNeese

Broadway's Grambling teams would be favored against Lamar; but the program is currently moribund.

FormerPokeCenter
August 6th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Has Southern gotten exponentially better than the team that got beat down by Northwestern 56-14?

Because, I gotta tell you. Northwestern is better than they were last year...

Unless Southern's done something dramatic, it's gonna be a long day for the Jaguars...

lionsrking2
August 6th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Four blowouts in favor of the Southland Conference. None will be close IMO.

Panther88
August 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM
southern has a huge question ? @ qb. They return the bulk of their O and D line. Also, they lost that all-world WR. From what I understand, the staff @ southern didn't gameplan for NwSt and didn't want to show anything as they had PVAMU the following week for SWAC West competition. I expect southern not to regress but I do know that NwSt is a year more experienced and ready - esp vs an in-state FCSer from a neighboring conference who won their conference last fall.

I actually have Grambling beating Lamar this fall.

Panther88
August 6th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Four blowouts in favor of the Southland Conference. None will be close IMO.

Ummmmm... is this opinion based upon your emotionalism lol or what each team returns? :)

Those PVAMU "crabs" from 3 years ago are now seniors this fall. We will come to play and compete until the clock strikes 00:00 vs anyone, anytime, anyplace.

lionsrking2
August 6th, 2014, 11:22 AM

No shot. Lamar will blow them out at home.

Panther88
August 6th, 2014, 11:25 AM
No shot. Lamar will blow them out at home.

lol Did you say the same thing about sorry ol' Prairie View being blown out by Stephen F Austin @ home fall 2013? "SFA will blow out Prairie View at home!!!!" xlolx xlolx xlolx

This isn't the same Grambling coached squad over the last 3 years. Fobbs has instilled discipline and accountabiilty w/ smart(er) play in their guys. Grambling will be pretty tough this fall. Leave the estrogenal emotions out of it.

WileECoyote06
August 6th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Had no idea Northwestern State ran up on Southern like that. Well in that case.. . I doubt it changes in a year's time. 4-0 SLC.

Panther88
August 6th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Had no idea Northwestern State ran up on Southern like that. Well in that case.. . I doubt it changes in a year's time. 4-0 SLC.

Southern's coaching staff didn't gameplan 100% for the OOC contest. They didn't want to show anything on film as they had SWAC West competitor PVAMU the following week, Coyote06. SU's staff is aware that they must go into every game being 100% competitive. As the season wore on last fall, you could note the positive progression the jags were making weekly. I think they will give NwSt a run for their money this fall.

Lehigh'98
August 6th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Will any of the point spreads be within 14 PTs?

lionsrking2
August 6th, 2014, 12:01 PM
lol Did you say the same thing about sorry ol' Prairie View being blown out by Stephen F Austin @ home fall 2013? "SFA will blow out Prairie View at home!!!!" xlolx xlolx xlolx

This isn't the same Grambling coached squad over the last 3 years. Fobbs has instilled discipline and accountabiilty w/ smart(er) play in their guys. Grambling will be pretty tough this fall. Leave the estrogenal emotions out of it.

No because SFA couldn't defend a junior high team last year.

FormerPokeCenter
August 6th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I can see Coach Fobbs making a difference like that...

I wouldn't be shocked by a Grambling win...

southern has a huge question ? @ qb. They return the bulk of their O and D line. Also, they lost that all-world WR. From what I understand, the staff @ southern didn't gameplan for NwSt and didn't want to show anything as they had PVAMU the following week for SWAC West competition. I expect southern not to regress but I do know that NwSt is a year more experienced and ready - esp vs an in-state FCSer from a neighboring conference who won their conference last fall.

WestCoastAggie
August 6th, 2014, 12:35 PM
AlaSU's coaching capability is atrocious, WestCoast. That in itself will give SHSU a +10 pt advantage lol.

This could have changed.

TheRevSFA
August 6th, 2014, 01:48 PM

Don't mind the SLU fans. They're like Lamar fans. One good year at something and they think their hot ****.

They will slip back into obscurity soon and the only big deal they'll have is playing the swamp people for the river bell

Panther88
August 6th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Don't mind the SLU fans. They're like Lamar fans. One good year at something and they think their hot ****.

They will slip back into obscurity soon and the only big deal they'll have is playing the swamp people for the river bell

Oh my... :D What I find peculiar, Rev, is the fact that no one repping PVAMU and posts here reveled in the victory. Only your own conference cohorts took jabs @ SFA. xsmhx What gives?

TheRevSFA
August 6th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Oh my... :D What I find peculiar, Rev, is the fact that no one reps PVAMU and posts here reveled in the victory. Only your own conference cohorts took jabs @ SFA. xsmhx What gives?

Haters gonna hate.

Panther88
August 6th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Haters gonna hate.

One would expect better from a conference member vs OOC, I guess. Oh well... xsmhx

Nickels
August 6th, 2014, 05:22 PM

This. So much this...

813Jag
August 7th, 2014, 08:33 AM
and they have issues in the secondary as well

813Jag
August 7th, 2014, 08:35 AM
yeah they killed us at that point in the season the defense couldn't stop anyone. the team improved as the season went on, I think the Demons will be a huge test for the Jags. I think this game will be a good measuring stick.

Panther88
August 19th, 2014, 12:13 PM
It's almost here guys. I am officially excited. I called the PVAMU ticket office to curse out the admins for not sending my season passes after I paid over a month ago lol. I'm in mid-season form w/ my anger level. xlolx

I'm really looking forward to the fellowship/kindred spirit w/ SHSUers for the Bama State game (anyone tailgating?) and the McNeese St game (Doc, I will have your hat to add to the collection - camo-PVAMU ;) ).

Sammy94
August 19th, 2014, 01:08 PM
I'm really looking forward to the fellowship/kindred spirit w/ SHSUers for the Bama State game (anyone tailgating?)

We will be right behind the scoreboard (looking from the pressbox) around 7am. You are welcomed to stop by and have a cocktail or two.

Nickels
August 19th, 2014, 01:25 PM
We will be right behind the scoreboard (looking from the pressbox) around 7am. You are welcomed to stop by and have a cocktail or two.

The real party is one lot over.

Sammy94, do you tailgate with us at KDT? Do we know each other? I think you're the tall guy that brings his son to the tailgates. Some katfans posters are on AGS but have different screen names so I get confused at times.

Sammy94
August 19th, 2014, 01:55 PM
We don't tailgate with KDT although I have been by there. We are one of the only ones that tailgate on the other side of Bearkat Alley in the season ticket North lot. Our set up is in the far corner of the north lot next to the stadium entrance under the scoreboard.

Panther88
August 19th, 2014, 03:47 PM

What do I need to bring Sam? Cannot attend a tailgate empty handed.

Panther88
August 19th, 2014, 03:48 PM
The real party is one lot over.

Sammy94, do you tailgate with us at KDT? Do we know each other? I think you're the tall guy that brings his son to the tailgates. Some katfans posters are on AGS but have different screen names so I get confused at times.

I was impressed w/ the setup last fall in the big parking lot near the main entrance (?) where I think most of the tailgaters were (forgot the lot #). HuntsVegas really gets up for the kats. Impressive.

McNeese72
August 19th, 2014, 04:04 PM
It's almost here guys. I am officially excited. I called the PVAMU ticket office to curse out the admins for not sending my season passes after I paid over a month ago lol. I'm in mid-season form w/ my anger level. xlolx

I'm really looking forward to the fellowship/kindred spirit w/ SHSUers for the Bama State game (anyone tailgating?) and the McNeese St game (Doc, I will have your hat to add to the collection - camo-PVAMU ;) ).

Thanks! Just let me know how much it costs and I'll have the money for you when you come by the tailgate. Hopefully, you will make it to the tailgate. We can make arrangements when the game gets closer.

Doc

Sammy94
August 19th, 2014, 04:48 PM
What do I need to bring Sam? Cannot attend a tailgate empty handed.

Just wear orange.

Panther88
August 19th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks! Just let me know how much it costs and I'll have the money for you when you come by the tailgate. Hopefully, you will make it to the tailgate. We can make arrangements when the game gets closer.

Doc

Don't worry about the $$$ doc. My treat.

Panther88
August 19th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Just wear orange.

You have EYES through the keyboard Sam. I actually have on orange shorts that I bought @ the Wally-deal on 45 ;).

I'll bring something I think the crowd may enjoy. :) I'm trying to recall how big the mosquitoes may get later in the month. I'm a little shy w/ West Nile and all prevailent this time of year. Game start time should be what... 4pm? 5pm?

Sammy94
August 19th, 2014, 07:08 PM
6:30 I believe.

McNeese72
August 20th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Don't worry about the $$$ doc. My treat.

Would you like a McNeese hat?

Panther88
August 20th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Would you like a McNeese hat?

Excellent. We'll do a switcheroo, if that's okay w/ you sir.

McNeese72
August 20th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Definitely.

Nickels
August 20th, 2014, 05:41 PM
I'm trying to recall how big the mosquitoes may get later in the month. I'm a little shy w/ West Nile and all prevailent this time of year.

Honestly the university area doesn't have a mosquito problem. I can't even recall getting bitten throughout my years at SHSU.

I'm sure this giant ass bat colony about a half mile away helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS8J3m9ew-Y

McNeese75
August 20th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Honestly the university area doesn't have a mosquito problem. I can't even recall getting bitten throughout my years at SHSU.

I'm sure this giant ass bat colony about a half mile away helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS8J3m9ew-Y

Damn, where do you buy one of those colonies :D. They could get fat around here (or possibly become the hunted instead of the hunters)

Panther88
August 26th, 2014, 11:17 AM
60% chance of rain Friday and 50% Saturday Nickels et al SHSUers. :( So much for riding a 2-wheeler Saturday :(. I'll bring the pontoon instead. *smh*

Sammy94
August 26th, 2014, 11:49 AM
We have moved the tailgate start to 11 am , you are still welcomed to stop by it just won't be as early

Nickels
August 26th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Damn, where do you buy one of those colonies :D. They could get fat around here (or possibly become the hunted instead of the hunters)
You coonasses will eat anything.

60% chance of rain Friday and 50% Saturday Nickels et al SHSUers. :( So much for riding a 2-wheeler Saturday :(. I'll bring the pontoon instead. *smh*
I have an SHSU poncho you can wear. xnodx

Panther88
August 26th, 2014, 05:55 PM
We have moved the tailgate start to 11 am , you are still welcomed to stop by it just won't be as early

When you said 7am, my heart skipped a beat lol. That's a loooooooooooooooooooong day of partying man xlolx. I'll be the old man asleep in the corner while the partying is continuing. I'll be there. I'll bring a nice bevg. And, I'll bring the poncho for sure. See you all @.....11amish....noonish for sure.

TheRevSFA
August 26th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Pssssh UCABear and I tailgated through a monsoon that dropped a foot of rain. Bear wasn't too bad at washers for a non Texan

BEAR
August 26th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Pssssh UCABear and I tailgated through a monsoon that dropped a foot of rain. Bear wasn't too bad at washers for a non Texan

Great time at that game. My car is still drying from that experience. Maybe this year if I can make it we can enjoy a dry game...well, maybe not the tailgate..but the game for sure!

pokefan02
August 26th, 2014, 07:36 PM
We start tailgating at 7 PM Friday most weeks.

Sent from my HTC M8

TheRevSFA
August 26th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Yeah I love tailgating in lake chuck

Panther88
August 27th, 2014, 11:08 AM

No thunder/lightning? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... *scratching scraggly Grizzly Adams beard*

Panther88
August 28th, 2014, 10:05 AM
80% chance of rain and if you're in the area, you know what this time of year means. :( 50% today; 80% Fri; 80% Sat lol; 40% Sun; 40% Mon.... :( We need the rain but...

I'll bring instant hot cocoa, styrofoam cups, firewood, fire pit, 2 extra ponchos, and the pontoon, just in case. :(

Texas
August 28th, 2014, 02:49 PM
80% chance of rain and if you're in the area, you know what this time of year means. :( 50% today; 80% Fri; 80% Sat lol; 40% Sun; 40% Mon.... :( We need the rain but...

I'll bring instant hot cocoa, styrofoam cups, firewood, fire pit, 2 extra ponchos, and the pontoon, just in case. :(
Didn't stop Katfans or myself when last year's monsoon, and EWU came to town. They unloaded those cute little fans for nothing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Panther88
August 28th, 2014, 03:01 PM
You guys are definitely diehards. xbowx Right now, I am officially amped.

Panther88
August 30th, 2014, 03:40 PM
If anyone sees Sammy94 or Nickels, tell'em Panther88 is here on the lot near the scoreboard.

Texas
August 30th, 2014, 04:30 PM
If anyone sees Sammy94 or Nickels, tell'em Panther88 is here on the lot near the scoreboard.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/27/mr6w.jpg

You will probably find them here.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

McNeese75
August 30th, 2014, 04:37 PM
xcoolx Did those yahoos stand you up 88???? Bastaads

Panther88
August 31st, 2014, 12:32 AM
xcoolx Did those yahoos stand you up 88???? Bastaads

No sir. I found Sammy94 and Nickels spot but I just missed Nickels as he headed to the game from their tg'ing area across from the big lot. I had a nice time.

See you in2 weeks.

Panther88
September 2nd, 2014, 07:39 AM
SLC-2 ; SWAC-0 (after first round)
SHSU over AlaSU (expected)
Lamar over Grambling (semi-shocking) - I know this is a rebuild for GSU but I didn't realize they were down this much. It's amazing how things changed w/in the last 20 years for them. Naturally, besides coaching, it has moreso to do w/ the type of athletic talent one brings in and GSU is NOT bringing in what they once had a lock on under coach Robinson.

Next up:
PVAMU vs McNeese St
NwSTU vs SU

McNeese72
September 2nd, 2014, 09:00 AM
SLC-2 ; SWAC-0 (after first round)
SHSU over AlaSU (expected)
Lamar over Grambling (semi-shocking) - I know this is a rebuild for GSU but I didn't realize they were down this much. It's amazing how things changed w/in the last 20 years for them. Naturally, besides coaching, it has moreso to do w/ the type of athletic talent one brings in and GSU is NOT bringing in what they once had a lock on under coach Robinson.

Next up:
PVAMU vs McNeese St
NwSTU vs SU

After watching the first half of the Nebraska-FAU game, I'm just hoping we have some players left after Nebraska gets through with us.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
September 2nd, 2014, 09:08 AM
Panther, your meal before game is on me. I'll treat you to a great meal at the GeauxCowboys.com tailgate spot. The food and conversation there is always great!

See what I did there, Doc?? ;)

Sammy94
September 2nd, 2014, 10:12 AM
No sir. I found Sammy94 and Nickels spot but I just missed Nickels as he headed to the game from their tg'ing area across from the big lot. I had a nice time.

Sorry I was so involved in the GSU game that I missed you the first time around Panther88. Its always nice to meet a fellow AGS member. Since you live so close, you are welcomed anytime along with anyone else coming to Bowers. I really am easy to find.

McNeese72
September 2nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Panther, your meal before game is on me. I'll treat you to a great meal at the GeauxCowboys.com tailgate spot. The food and conversation there is always great!

You are late as usual, Jay. He has already been invited and a hat trade initiated.

Doc

Panther88
September 2nd, 2014, 11:43 AM
After watching the first half of the Nebraska-FAU game, I'm just hoping we have some players left after Nebraska gets through with us.

Doc

Nebraska is... xsmhx Mac has my sympathies because there will be a statement that big red will attempt to make, I'm sure.

Panther88
September 2nd, 2014, 11:44 AM

Is this the equivalent of fattening the turkey before Thanksgiving? lol After the cornhusker game, I'm sure retribution will be required and who better than... xsmhx I hope the Mac 2nd teamers get good playing time from the 3rd qrtr going forward lol.

Panther88
September 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
Sorry I was so involved in the GSU game that I missed you the first time around Panther88. Its always nice to meet a fellow AGS member. Since you live so close, you are welcomed anytime along with anyone else coming to Bowers. I really am easy to find.

I really had a good time, Sammy94. However, there was one HUGE item that we forgot. xconfusedx I stopped @ the local HEB and purchased bevgs (2-12 packs) and those things sat in the rear of the truck all game long. I made it too early (was there @ 1pmish) and didn't want to walk around carrying those things so I left them there and once I located you and Nickels, I'd do a drop w/ the both of you guys. I was caught up in running my mouth w/ a few folks and it just left me.... (saw Bookie and he started introducing his elder cousin to a lot of the good people he'd came to know) I know where you spot is and it is indeed primo. xbowx On a w/e where PVAMU has an away game, I'll be there (w/ bevgs again lol) to enjoy the festivities.

Also, if you happen to catch up to Nickels (literally xlolx ), tell him to install <b>SlowTheHellDown v2.0</b> on his legs. I was LITERALLY 40ft behind him attempting to catch him as he made his way from the tailgating spot to the stadium and he literally left me. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I stood in one spot, exhausted, sweating profusely, panting for dear life, and dehydrated lol while lol'ing @ how fast his walk-run is. xlolx

TheEagleSHSU
September 2nd, 2014, 01:06 PM
I really had a good time, Sammy94. However, there was one HUGE item that we forgot. xconfusedx I stopped @ the local HEB and purchased bevgs (2-12 packs) and those things sat in the rear of the truck all game long. I made it too early (was there @ 1pmish) and didn't want to walk around carrying those things so I left them there and once I located you and Nickels, I'd do a drop w/ the both of you guys. I was caught up in running my mouth w/ a few folks and it just left me.... (saw Bookie and he started introducing his elder cousin to a lot of the good people he'd came to know) I know where you spot is and it is indeed primo. xbowx On a w/e where PVAMU has an away game, I'll be there (w/ bevgs again lol) to enjoy the festivities.

Also, if you happen to catch up to Nickels (literally xlolx ), tell him to install <b>SlowTheHellDown v2.0</b> on his legs. I was LITERALLY 40ft behind him attempting to catch him as he made his way from the tailgating spot to the stadium and he literally left me. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I stood in one spot, exhausted, sweating profusely, panting for dear life, and dehydrated lol while lol'ing @ how fast his walk-run is. xlolx

Panther88,
I did not realize that was you that I sent off running after Nickels! I had been at KF Tailgate since I set it up at 6am. (Long Day) You can find me on Katfans.com as The Legal Eagle!

McNeese72
September 2nd, 2014, 01:48 PM
Nebraska is... xsmhx Mac has my sympathies because there will be a statement that big red will attempt to make, I'm sure.

I just hope Bo Pelini remembers that it was FAU that fired his brother last season not McNeese and that FAU was last Saturday not this Saturday. ;)

Doc