PDA

View Full Version : UT-Martin 15, Eastern Illinois 9

dbackjon
October 28th, 2006, 04:56 PM
UT-Martin continues it's amazing season - beating EIU!!

redbirdtim
October 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Barring any upsets, UT-Martin is in the playoffs.

Tod
October 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM
UT-Martin continues it's amazing season - beating EIU!!

I'm glad, I had Martin ranked, but didn't even have EIU in my poll. :eek:

Regardless, I should have.

Skyhawks
October 28th, 2006, 05:25 PM
This was a great game. Both teams are pretty evenly matched. It kind of helped UTM today that it was homecoming, and EIU had some penalties that killed them.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 05:26 PM
UTM is going to be a tough opponent in the I-AA playoffs...

If UTM falls along the way and someone else gets the auto, they'd be a great argument for an at-large squad...

I still believe UTM, if they do not play a top four seed in the first round, will give the OVC their first playoff win in a very long time...

Skyhawk Nation 24
October 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Today, UTM proved why they need to be considered a legit threat in I-AA. There defense held a potent EIU offense to under 200 yards of total offense. UTM's defense is giving up under 12 pts. a game. There offense is getting better each week. I just hope people start taking notice of this team, or they can just ignore them and just wait to find out for themselves. IMO, UTM has the best defense in all of I-AA.

blur2005
October 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Today, UTM proved why they need to be considered a legit threat in I-AA. There defense held a potent EIU offense to under 200 yards of total offense. UTM's defense is giving up under 12 pts. a game. There offense is getting better each week. I just hope people start taking notice of this team, or they can just ignore them and just wait to find out for themselves. IMO, UTM has the best defense in all of I-AA.
Well, Tennessee-Martin just entered my top ten.

TheBisonator
October 28th, 2006, 10:48 PM
This was a great game. Both teams are pretty evenly matched. It kind of helped UTM today that it was homecoming, and EIU had some penalties that killed them.

What was the attendance today??

Tod
October 28th, 2006, 10:50 PM

WRONG THREAD, THERE'S AN ATTENDANCE THREAD!!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15729

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

:p :D

Skyhawk Nation 24
October 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM

6935, which is a great crowd in Martin. You could hear the stadium noise from 2 miles away. Glad to see some people noticing UTM.

October 28th, 2006, 11:03 PM
... I just hope people start taking notice of this team, or they can just ignore them and just wait to find out for themselves...They entered the game #12/14 in the polls, #21 GPI, I think some may have already noticed them.

Skyhawk Nation 24
October 28th, 2006, 11:05 PM
They entered the game #12/14 in the polls, I think some may have already noticed them.

Yeah, but to most people these are just 2 teams from the OVC. Some people can't see outside their own conference.

ngineer
October 28th, 2006, 11:17 PM
They entered the game #12/14 in the polls, #21 GPI, I think some may have already noticed them.

Absolutely. I had them 14 last week and #10 now. Great to see some 'no names' making noise and upsetting the proverbial apple cart:thumbsup:

JaxSinfonian
October 29th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I just hope people start taking notice of this team, or they can just ignore them and just wait to find out for themselves. IMO, UTM has the best defense in all of I-AA.

Folks here have been taking notice of UT-Martin for a few weeks now. It's good to see their fans are taking notice, too. Skyhawks supporters were hard to come by around here until lately. Nice to have you guys around.

Meanwhile, folks, don't forget, Tennessee State also is 4-0 in the OVC, after topping Samford 29-7 tonight, and they won't meet the Skyhawks on the field this year. TSU's next opponent - EIU. If the Tigers can get past them, SEMO and EKU over the next three weeks, and UTM stays unbeaten the league title will come down to, I think, the OVC's infamous coin flip.

th0m
October 29th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Barring any upsets, UT-Martin is in the playoffs.

Have they ever made it to the play-offs before?

Skyhawk Nation 24
October 29th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I wish I would of known about this site sooner, because I would of been on here 3 years ago when the Skyhawks started building the winner they are putting on the field. UT Martin has never made it to the Division I-AA playoffs. Last time they were in the playoffs was 1988 in Division II. That is also the last time they won 7 in a row. This program was in shambles in the late 90s, early 2000s till Matt Griffin came along. Then Griffin decides to jump ship and go to rival Murray St. (btw I hope we run up the score on them Nov. 18th, stinkin traitor), the university brings in Coach Simpson, who has been a breathe of fresh air. IMO, he is the coach of the year in I-AA.

Right now I am an EIU fan because if UT Martin wins out and does not get into the playoffs, you are going to have some angry football players, coaches, and fans in Martin. IMO, if Martin wins out they should at least get an at large if the tie occurs.

Tod
October 29th, 2006, 01:59 AM
I wish I would of known about this site sooner, because I would of been on here 3 years ago when the Skyhawks started building the winner they are putting on the field. UT Martin has never made it to the Division I-AA playoffs. Last time they were in the playoffs was 1988 in Division II. That is also the last time they won 7 in a row. This program was in shambles in the late 90s, early 2000s till Matt Griffin came along. Then Griffin decides to jump ship and go to rival Murray St. (btw I hope we run up the score on them Nov. 18th, stinkin traitor), the university brings in Coach Simpson, who has been a breathe of fresh air. IMO, he is the coach of the year in I-AA.

Right now I am an EIU fan because if UT Martin wins out and does not get into the playoffs, you are going to have some angry football players, coaches, and fans in Martin. IMO, if Martin wins out they should at least get an at large if the tie occurs.

If UT Martin wins out they'll win the OVC, won't they? You won't need any help if you win out.

Skyhawk Nation 24
October 29th, 2006, 02:34 AM
If UT Martin wins out they'll win the OVC, won't they? You won't need any help if you win out.

No, because if TSU wins out, they will be 7-0 as well. This year UT Martin and TSU do not play one another because of TSU's exeption to play in one more classic. So both would be 7-0. I believe the tiebreaker in the OVC is the infamous coin flip. So UT Martin is not promised a playoff spot if they win out, however if they do win out they should a least get an at-large bid.

Chucktown
October 29th, 2006, 02:52 AM
well just hope that EIU wins next week. If EIU wins out, and Martin wins out, there is a chance the the OVC can have 2 teams heading to the playoffs. Martin will get the automatic bid for the OVC, and EIU can go 8-4 (being the only team in 1 AA with 12 games, and having 2 1A losses, and 2 top losses-Illinois State, and Tennessee Martin/) And after seeing the 2 play each other, they both have powerful teams

tsutiger
October 29th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Just asking?

If UTM loses a conference game do they deserve an at large?

Cocky
October 29th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Just asking?

If UTM loses a conference game do they deserve an at large?

Yes

tsutiger
October 29th, 2006, 08:27 AM
If SCSU had won the MEAC and Hampton went 10-1. Do they get an At Large?

bigbluetiger
October 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM
If TSU wins out things could get pretty hairy concerning the OVC autobid. Both UTM and TSU face some pretty tough opponents in the coming weeks. UTM has a slight edge in that they have already beet EIU but both have to beat EKU. I like our chances.

It's been a long time since we've been in the post season discussion past Halloween.

dbackjon
October 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM
If TSU wins out things could get pretty hairy concerning the OVC autobid. Both UTM and TSU face some pretty tough opponents in the coming weeks. UTM has a slight edge in that they have already beet EIU but both have to beat EKU. I like our chances.

It's been a long time since we've been in the post season discussion past Halloween.

It sure has been. You have to like the direction the Tigers are taking - and I think things will only get better for TSU.

Chucktown
October 29th, 2006, 11:51 AM
If Tenn Martin loses a conference game, they probably wont get to the playoffs unless EIU beats TSU, and then they win a coin flip. The OVC is not a very well respected conference, but this year they do have some power... It is very unfortunate the way this season can turn out... I mean, 2 teams can go undefeated.. That shouldn't happen.... But lets just hope that EIU beats TSU and then all probs could go away....

colonelblitz
October 29th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Both will lose to EKU...

FL connection
October 29th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Congrats to UTM....great game plan. EIU had chances to execute and didn't play well offensively as I thought we would. IMHO, UTM out the first round if they aren't playing in hell, I mean, Martin.

Skyhawk Nation 24
October 29th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Congrats to UTM....great game plan. EIU had chances to execute and didn't play well offensively as I thought we would. IMHO, UTM out the first round if they aren't playing in hell, I mean, Martin.

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Martin.

I was impressed by Martin's DBs the most yesterday. They played man coverage most of the game, even though EIU had a great height advantage. I was waiting for EIU to open it up and pass but they never did.

RabidRabbit
October 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM
If both UTM & TSU win out, IMHO, they'll both be invited. Both Furman & Poly despite good years, not have the 7 DI wins. SLC, MEAC, Patriot aren't getting anybody in but auto bid. Big Sky, if UM wins vs MSU, only UM has the 7 DI wins. Does the selection committee choose 5 A-10's and 4 Gateways?

There may be few teams with 7 D I wins this year. Great West being a kick'n conference, but 3 schools not thru transition is throwing a big wrench in "the normal" order.

Mr. C
October 29th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Should Tennessee State and UT-Martin finish 7-0 and TSU win the coin toss, I have no doubt that UT-Martin gets in as an at-large. The pool for at-large teams isn't going to be that large and the Skyhawks would have done everything that you could expect from them. I think you would find that the SKyhawks are ranked fairly high in the I-AA committee's regional rankings.

hawkeye
October 29th, 2006, 02:53 PM
After witnessing this defense all year, the motto "Defense wins championships" holds true. AWESOME xsmileyclapx

bigbluetiger
October 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Both will lose to EKU...

Bold Statement....

hawkeye
October 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Skyhawk, I love you brother, but with or without homecoming our kids were ready to play. Great coaching staff and kids with a lot of heart. Homecoming help? Maybe. X's and O's with the right Jimmys and Joes-Always.

nothingbutjsu
October 29th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Good to see the Skyhawks (aka...Pacers) doing well. It's nice not being the conference whipping boys for a change, isn't it. Oh by the way, the OVC will not get an "at-large bid".

hawkeye
October 29th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Good to see the Skyhawks (aka...Pacers) doing well. It's nice not being the conference whipping boys for a change, isn't it. Oh by the way, the OVC will not get an "at-large bid".

Such bitterness. Hey its 4th and inches. Go for it. hehehe

dbackjon
October 30th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Don't be so quick to dismiss that. The way the season is going for everyone else, if TSU and UTM end up 7-0 in conference, good chance both go.

MylesKnight
October 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM
That brings up a interesting point.. What happens if UT-M and TSU both finish up 7-0 in OVC play? Who gets the Auto-Bid?

nothingbutjsu
October 30th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Don't be so quick to dismiss that. The way the season is going for everyone else, if TSU and UTM end up 7-0 in conference, good chance both go.
The OVC is such a weak conference, I just don't believe it will get a at-large bid. But I do hope someone does. :twocents: I know it will not be the Gamers

hawkeye
October 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Both will lose to EKU...

Yea, thats what Jacksonville St. and EIU said too.

colonelblitz
November 11th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Bold Statement....
One down and one to go..:cool: BBT are you coming to Richmond?

BigApp
November 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Bold Statement....

and so far, right on the $$

colonelblitz
November 19th, 2006, 08:02 AM
One down and one to go..:cool: BBT are you coming to Richmond?

Both went down..But we stay home again...:bang: Congrats to UTM..Keep on winning..

TSU.. Watch out people, TSU has an excellent QB and TB with most everyone coming back. Impressed with both,as were most Colonel fans.

TSU band.. I'm not generally into bands, but I love it when TSU brings their band. :hurray: :hurray: Outstanding!!!

Cocky
November 19th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Both went down..But we stay home again...:bang: Congrats to UTM..Keep on winning..

TSU.. Watch out people, TSU has an excellent QB and TB with most everyone coming back. Impressed with both,as were most Colonel fans.

TSU band.. I'm not generally into bands, but I love it when TSU brings their band. :hurray: :hurray: Outstanding!!!

The QB is very good.