PDA

View Full Version : Citadel wins!

CSU BUCS
October 28th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I don't know if this as been posted or not, I haven't seen it. Bulldogs ove Eagles 24-21

dbackjon
October 28th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Wow - didn't see that coming.

citdog
October 28th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Me and about 16,000 Bulldog Fans saw it coming and saw it happen!

Sam Adams
October 28th, 2006, 05:21 PM
:eek: How the mighty have fallen....:eek:

bodoyle
October 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I guess they shot their collective wad against us.

CSU BUCS
October 28th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Bulldogs Top Georgia Southern 24-21
Courtesy: CitadelSports.com
Release: 10/28/2006

Send this article to a friend Print

Junior quarterback Duran Lawson finished with 201 yards passing and two touchdowns.
View larger Junior quarterback Duran Lawson finished with 201 yards passing and two touchdowns.

Charleston, S.C. – The Citadel withstood a late Georgia Southern rally to outlast the Eagles 24-21 in Southern Conference action at Johnson Hagood Stadium Saturday afternoon.

The Citadel (3-5, 3-2 SoCon) is now off to their best start since 2003 when they started 5-3 overall and 4-1 in the conference. The Bulldogs finished 6-5 overall and 4-4 in the SoCon that season. It also marked the first win for The Citadel over Georgia Southern (3-5, 2-3 SoCon) since that 2003 season when they won in Statesboro, 28-24. It was also the first win for the Bulldogs over the Eagles in Charleston since a 35-20 victory in 1996.

The Bulldogs had good field position on their first drive as they began at midfield after holding the Georgia Southern offense to a three-and-out on their first possession. On a third-and-six play, Lawson found freshman wide receiver Derek Moore for a 36-yard gain. Two plays later, Lawson hit junior running back Tory Cooper from 10 yards out to put The Citadel on the board first. Senior Blake Vandiver knocked home the extra-point to make it 7-0 with 12:25 left in the first quarter. It marked the first time this season the Bulldogs have scored a touchdown on their opening offensive possession.

The Citadel offense again had good field position two possessions later after forcing another Eagle punt, starting at the Georgia Southern 47-yard line. The Bulldogs again took advantage with another big pass play as Lawson hit senior wide receiver Rontreal Tyler on a crossing route and Tyler outran the Georgia Southern defense down the sideline for a 46-yard touchdown, the longest scoring play of the season for The Citadel. Vandiver’s extra-point made it 14-0 with 5:50 left in the first quarter.

The Eagles gambled on their next drive, going for it on fourth-and-five from The Citadel 35-yard line. Georgia Southern converted on a 10-yard pass from quarterback Travis Clark to wide receiver Irving Campbell. Running back Lamar Lewis put Georgia Southern on the scoreboard two plays later as he ran it into the end zone from nine yards out. Patrick Bolen’s extra-point cut the Bulldog lead in half at 14-7 with 59 seconds left in the opening quarter.

Georgia Southern got the first turnover of the contest in the second quarter as freshman wide receiver Andre Roberts muffed a punt and linebacker John Mohring jumped on the loose ball to give the Eagles possession at the Bulldog 47-yard line. Georgia Southern again went for it on a fourth down at The Citadel 30, but Clark’s pass on fourth-and-five went in and out of the hands of wide receiver Darius Smiley.

After taking over on downs, the Bulldogs took it 70 yards in 13 plays to add to their lead. It was The Citadel’s turn to go for it on fourth down as Lawson sneaked it up the middle on fourth-and-inches from the Georgia Southern 39-yard line to keep the drive alive. Cooper again found the end zone for his fourth touchdown in two games to cap the drive as he took a pitch from Lawson on an option play and scored from eight yards out. Vandiver converted on the extra-point and the Bulldogs led 21-7 with 4:26 left in the first half.

On the first play from scrimmage in the second half, the Eagles forced another turnover as defensive back Dawayne Grace intercepted a tipped Lawson pass and returned it to the Bulldog 30-yard line. Georgia Southern drove to the seven-yard line before the Bulldog defense appeared to force the Eagles to settle for a field goal. But Georgia Southern faked the field goal attempt as wide receiver and holder Jayson Foster received the snap and ran it into the end zone. Bolen’s extra-point made it a 21-14 deficit with 11:13 left in the third quarter.

At the end of the third quarter and into the fourth period, the Eagles tried to cut into the Bulldog lead further with a 10-play, 53-yard drive to The Citadel 18-yard line. However, Bolen pushed a 35-yard field goal attempt to the right and it remained a seven-point Bulldog lead with 13:29 left in regulation.

The Bulldogs got their first score of the second half in the fourth quarter on a 12-play, 74-yard drive, punctuated by a 33-yard reverse run by Roberts. The Citadel appeared ready to try for another fourth down conversion on fourth-and-goal from the one-yard line of the Eagles, but a delay of game penalty pushed them back to the six. The Bulldogs settled for a 23-yard field goal by Vandiver with 6:54 left in the contest to make it a two-score game at 24-14.

The Eagles answered back quickly, however, as on the next play from scrimmage Foster took a pass from Clark and ran 85 yards to the end zone. The play was the longest touchdown in Georgia Southern history. Bolen converted the point after to make it 24-21 with 6:11 left in the final quarter.

After forcing the Bulldogs to punt, Georgia Southern continued their furious comeback attempt on their next possession with an improbable conversion on fourth-and-15 as Clark found Foster again for a 25-yard reception. But on fourth-and-six from the 32-yard line, Clark’s pass sailed out of bounds and The Citadel took over on downs and ran out the clock for their second consecutive Southern Conference home victory.

Cooper followed up his career-high 204-yard rushing performance and two touchdowns against Western Carolina last week with 82 yards on 24 carries on the ground and four catches for 21 yards and two more touchdowns. Lawson went 18-27 for 201 yards and two touchdowns, with Tyler being his favorite target as he caught five balls for 67 yards and a touchdown. Foster ended the day with 114 yards on three receptions and two touchdowns for the Eagles.

The Bulldogs travel to Boone, N.C., next Saturday to face defending national champion Appalachian State at 3:30 p.m. Georgia Southern will host Wofford next Saturday at 12:00 p.m.

Dabnus Brickey
October 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I was pulling for Cid. Way to go guys.

Eagle_77
October 29th, 2006, 11:51 AM

The attendance was only a little over 12,000 and there were at least 1,500 GSU fans there. :rolleyes:

I was really looking forward to traveling to the new stadium this year. Well after making the trip I was highly disappointed. Driving up to the stadium it looked very nice and the thought that it could possibly be a great future spot for championship games crossed my mind. Well that thought was QUICKLY erased. The first thing that bothered me is that they only had 1 port-a-potty for the whole tailgating parking lot. I was reduced to having to pee in a bottle because of how long the line was for this thing. Then when I walked in the stadium they have not improved the stands on the visitor side at all except they replaced the wooden benches with medal ones. There is still only one small restroom for men where you pee in a trench and one small restroom for women which you have to climb a flight of stairs to even get to. Also there is some major confusion as to what the home side is and which the away side is. They old home side where they replaced the bleachers completely had very few fans on that side. I assume this is still the home side being that’s the side the Citadel team was still on. They have moved the press box and the Cadets to the visitor’s side for some reason. I don’t have a problem with the school moving the "student body" to the away side because I know how affective it can be. But if they are going to put them right behind the visiting team then they need to stop the tradition of going down on the field to do push-ups. This is a recipe for something really bad happening. It nearly happened this week. When your team scores and then the "students" go down on the field 5 feet away from the defense that just got scored on that’s just not good.

Sorry if I am ranting some but I had really built up this facility in my head all year and were expecting yet another great facility in the SoCon. Im just hoping they were not able to finish before the season started and going to finish the improvements this next off season.

CSU BUCS
October 29th, 2006, 11:55 AM
They Haven't finished yet.

http://citadel.xosn.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=43211&SPID=3829&DB_OEM_ID=9700&PALBID=4339

Eaglegus2
October 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Whomever ever did the counting was waaaaaayy incorrect? I would guess you have a little over 10,000 at the game.

Once the construction has been completed Johnson-Hagood Stadium will look very good.

Millwoch
October 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM
That was the quietest 1500 I have ever heard from visitors in Johnson-hagood. I did not even notice there were a hundred or so GSU students there until the end. The Eagles were poorly coached, but talent rich. They need to get the ball to their playmakers more. #4 absolutely killed us but he only touched the ball 4-5 times(fake FG for a score and 85 touchdown catch and run). And the penalties alone gave us the game. The Eagles QB could not hit the broad side of a barn even though their receivers were wide open. His passes were not even close. But you guys have some team speed that we could not handle. 8 men in the box defensively killed GSU early as Higgins threw the drag route underneath about 5-6 times which lead to 2 quick scores and the rest was history. GSU did not make the adjustment till 3rd Quarter to drop the LBs, and it opened up the run so we could run some clock. we hold on down the stretch for the win.

ErkPeterson
October 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Congrats Citadel. As you now know we have serious problems in the Boro. I feel like a Univrsity of S. Carolina fan...wait till next year. I wish ya'll the best on the rest of the season. I have no exscuses or shots to take. We lost the game. We didn't play smart and gave (another) game away. Cheers cadets,
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Millwoch
October 31st, 2006, 10:37 AM
Next year really should be a good one for you. We are waiting too, as our boys are still young. We are getting better every week. Beat Wofford please.

MarkCCU
October 31st, 2006, 11:51 AM
I was at the game and the Citdel band playing Iron Man was amazing..

How Citdog and you cadets on here, how about a lil Home Sweet Home on the bagpipes to remind you of hell night?

Play that **** during the game,

Millwoch
October 31st, 2006, 12:06 PM
We ought to play it over the loud speaker with the harmonica just like they do during Hell Night when the visitor enter the field. I laughed at that during hell night. I had alway heard about it, but when it happened I had to laugh. My laughing did not last long though.