PDA

View Full Version : Umass @ Northeastern

UNHWildCats
October 28th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Umass was driving Baylark fumbled at the 10 and Northwestern recorverd and took it to the 30.

UNHWildCats
October 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Baylark became the 3rd I-AA player to ever rush over 1,000 yards for 4 consecutive season

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Congrats to Baylark!! He joined a very exclusive club with UNH's Azumah and Georgia Southern's Petersen IIRC.

ISUMatt
October 28th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Congrats to Baylark!! He joined a very exclusive club with UNH's Azumah and Georgia Southern's Petersen IIRC.

2 CHICAGO BEARS!!

GeeWiz
October 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Umass was driving Baylark fumbled at the 10 and Northwestern recorverd and took it to the 30.

Northwestern?:nonono2:

C'mon.

Didn't we beat you guys last week? I think you should know who we are.:smiley_wi

Richard Orah should have taken that fumble to the house. Still can't believe he got tripped up. That was the TD we needed!

Granite
October 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Baylark is one of those guys who seems like he's been playing forever! I'll be very interested to see how the UNH defense handles him (or doesn't) next week.

Umass74
October 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Baylark had 33 carries for 152 yards.

Northeastern's Murray is a load also. Tough game played in four inches of water in some spots.

I imagine things were even worse in Rhode Island.

Sam Adams
October 28th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Steve Baylark is a great running back. 1000 yds + for 4 straight years. That is an elite list of backs he joined today. He is tough as nails on the field and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet off the field. Baylark deserves serious consideration for the 2006 Walter Payton Award.

NU is one tough football team. This game was played in near monsoon conditions. UMass was the better team but NU played UMass as tough as any team has this year including Navy.

7-1 and next week we head to Durham to meet UNH. :nod:

Umass74
October 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Steve Baylark is a great running back. 1000 yds + for 4 straight years. That is an elite list of backs he joined today. He is tough as nails on the field and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet off the field. Baylark deserves serious consideration for the 2006 Walter Payton Award.

NU is one tough football team. This game was played in near monsoon conditions. UMass was the better team but NU played UMass as tough as any team has this year including Navy.

What Sam said! :hurray:

Umass74
October 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/umas/sports/m-footbl/auto_wide/722153.jpeg

Old Cage
October 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Got to give some props here to our center and captain Alex Miller. We know how excellent he is at opening holes for Baylark, but who knew that he has the acceleration to make a game saving tackle after the Baylark strip.

Outstanding!

Sam Adams
October 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Alex Miller is one of the best centers in D1AA. Period. End of story.

Alum in 51
October 28th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Baylark had 33 carries for 152 yards.

Northeastern's Murray is a load also. Tough game played in four inches of water in some spots.

Two years in a row these two teams have met in a steady downpour. Last year's game was far worse in that there was heavy wind and the slopped around in four inches of mud. Still, one of these days these two have to meet in some favorable playing conditions.

This game ended in less that 2 1/2 hours, even with the television timeouts. There is a lot to say about keeping the ball inbounds and on the ground.

At least this year's meeting was much more evenly played. Last year's loss was just an embarrasment. For a change I didn't think Hager got totally outcoached by Brown, just enough to lose. In fact Brown's half-back option play that went nowhere seemed uncharacteristically ill-conceived while Hager didn't seem to make any risky plays. I guess his roll of the dice last week was enough for October.

Again the main problem NU had was just getting plays figured out on the sideline and called in a timely manner. If this team could just do a better job of game preparation and play calling they could have pulled off this one.

umassfan
October 28th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Just got back from the pond they call Parsons Field. NU didnt move the ball too much vs our D. There werent many 3-outs but they only had one long drive. That ended with a big 4th down stop in the redzone. Baylark played the second half with a knee injury and still ran all over. His only mistake was a key fumble late in the 4th. UMass was in the redzone killing clock and ready to score when the fumble came. I was quite shocked there werent more fumbles in the downpour. Im glad the game went fast because the rain was aweful. Also glad we came away with the W. Winning only 7-0 is not impressive but this is one of those weeks you are just happy its over.

Now on to UNH!

Umass74
October 28th, 2006, 05:37 PM
In fact Brown's half-back option play that went nowhere seemed uncharacteristically ill-conceived while Hager didn't seem to make any risky plays.

Alumin51 is correct. The UMass faithfull were not happy with that call or the one that was intercepted at Navy.

I had not seen Murray play. He is just a horse. He went through UMass tackles all game. If Northeastern ever played a sane schedule, they could make some noise in the A10.

Sam Adams
October 28th, 2006, 06:51 PM
The half back option was another stupid play call by UMass. Simply no reason for that call and it could have been disasterous. I have no earthly idea why UMass insists on calling stupid gadget plays when our OL is pounding the ball down the throats of the defense. It is just plain stupid and we are lucky it did not cost us the game. OC Kevin Morris once again called a stupid play. Why on earth does he continue to do something entirely idiotic when we are beating the defense straight up????

bkrownd
October 28th, 2006, 07:55 PM

I don't think URI's complaining at all. :smiley_wi

Proud Griz Man
October 28th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Also glad we came away with the W. Winning only 7-0 is not impressive but this is one of those weeks you are just happy its over.
Now on to UNH!

Interesting how A-10 teams can explain a narrow win.xcoffeex

umassfan
October 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
If UMass posts the game online to watch, do so... why do you think the URI Maine score was 3-0 and the UNH Hofstra score was 10-6. Heck Santos threw only 3 passes today because of the weather. Also do you not see the pic that UMass74 posted showing the field.

bkrownd
October 28th, 2006, 09:32 PM
REAL men play ball in the rain and mud and snow....AND LOVE IT THAT WAY!!!! People who just read the numbers in the box score should go watch the NFL circus. Football is about standing on the line of scrimmage and knocking people down!

Sam Adams
October 28th, 2006, 09:39 PM

Griz: Your comments reveal that you are ill informed. The game was played in a monsoon. Neither team could pass the ball. If you have ever played football under those conditions you would understand that you are not going to have a high scoring game. NU is a tough team. UMASS is a tough team. We don't need to explain anything to you or anybody else. We won. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Mr. C
October 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Alex Miller is one of the best centers in D1AA. Period. End of story.
Most people I've talked consider Miller to be THE BEST center in I-AA. Some people are even saying he is the top I-AA offensive lineman this season.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 28th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Don't be hatin on the A10 for playing in tough conditions while you're in your beautiful mountian town with the big nice stadium and they're playin in a monsoon in a suburban Mass. swimming pool! :nonono2:

ngineer
October 28th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Don't be hatin on the A10 for playing in tough conditions while you're in your beautiful mountian town with the big nice stadium and they're playin in a monsoon in a suburban Mass. swimming pool! :nonono2:

At least, from the looks of the picture, they got to play on turf. I wish I could post a pic of Fitton Field today--an absolute quagmier. Couldn't see the numbers on a lot of players. Plus, it wasn't just the rain, but significant wind in many areas--steady at 20-25 with gusts into the 30's.:rotateh:

Proud Griz Man
October 28th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Griz: Your comments reveal that you are ill informed. The game was played in a monsoon. Neither team could pass the ball. If you have ever played football under those conditions you would understand that you are not going to have a high scoring game. NU is a tough team. UMASS is a tough team. We don't need to explain anything to you or anybody else. We won. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Sam Adams. You folks in the NE are the only ones who ever have weather? Coulson can write a nice article about your sweet 7-0 win.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Lighten up francis!!!!!!:)

Proud Griz Man
October 28th, 2006, 11:50 PM

Hatin? Just teasing you uptight folks a little bit. BTW, What is a mountian town? Like we haven't experienced weather out here before. :eyebrow:

Sam Adams
October 29th, 2006, 04:17 AM
there wasn't anything pretty about winning 7-0 in a windblown lake, but considering we had 40-60 mph wind gusts here yesterday we're just happy to not have a tree fall on us as some of our neighbors did. we'll take the win and keep on truckin' :nod:

BTW griz whiz the weather was beautiful in Missoula yesterday and y'all only managed 23 pts against a 2-6 idaho state team that surrendered 48 to fort lewis, 33 to NAU, 41 to NCU, 34 to PSU and 42 to Montana State.....:eek: Thats not pretty grizzy, not pretty at all. : smh :