PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota gets new HD Video Boards

darell1976
July 31st, 2014, 01:13 PM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-football-new-video-scoreboards-going-alerus-football-season

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/0724sGFvideo_0.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/0724sGFvideo_0.jpg.html)

In addition to the new HD video boards, the Alerus Center also has purchased new HD video cameras and revamped its production room.
“When I give tours of the Alerus, I tell people to consider their TV 10 years ago and their TV now,” LeBarron said. “It’s a vast difference.”
The size of the new video boards will be in the same footprint of the original video boards, which are stationed above the end zones.
UND opens its 2014 season on the road at San Jose State on Aug. 28.
North Dakota’s first of six home games is scheduled for Sept. 6 against Robert Morris.

TheRevSFA
July 31st, 2014, 01:21 PM
A nice big screen to show that mascot logo....whatever it is

darell1976
July 31st, 2014, 01:24 PM
A nice big screen to show that mascot logo....whatever it is

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/undlogo300-1.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/undlogo300-1.jpg.html)

2014 season

2015 season....who knows.

clenz
July 31st, 2014, 01:25 PM
Wait...you can't continue the ND logo?

I'd keep that and just go with a nickname.

darell1976
July 31st, 2014, 01:26 PM
Wait...you can't continue the ND logo?

I'd keep that and just go with a nickname.

Our mascot logo for 2014 is the ND logo, next season the new nickname logo will most likely take over the video board.

344Johnson
July 31st, 2014, 02:31 PM
It will be really nice to see them lose in high def now.

Evolution Prime
July 31st, 2014, 02:56 PM
Looks nice against the backdrop of what appears to be tin siding.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2014, 03:01 PM

Yeah, that's the Alerus Center alright.

BisonBacker
July 31st, 2014, 03:17 PM
Here's the front entrance xlolx

http://portlandbreakfastclub.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/img_4239.jpg

darell1976
July 31st, 2014, 03:50 PM

Tin, nice and light and no need for a paint job. ;)

UNIFanSince1983
July 31st, 2014, 03:55 PM

At least they don't call their airplane hangar a dome... xrotatehx

344Johnson
July 31st, 2014, 04:27 PM

Doesn't the UNI hangar have quite the impressive garage door?

BisonBacker
July 31st, 2014, 04:29 PM
Doesn't the UNI hangar have quite the impressive garage door?

To go along with the Multicolored seats

IBleedYellow
July 31st, 2014, 04:31 PM

But see, at least we actually field a team that knows how to win National Titles in a short 10 year span of FCS football. xsmiley_wix

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2014, 04:32 PM
To go along with the Multicolored seats

Don't forget almost missing it as you drive by mistaking it for a sewage treatment facility.

UNIFanSince1983
July 31st, 2014, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure what people in Fargo don't get about the definition of a dome...

Dome: a rounded vault forming the roof of a building or structure, typically with a circular base.

Edit:

BTW I was in no way saying our stadium was better than yours or our team was better than yours. I was simply stating that your Fargodome is not actually a dome by architectural definitions.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2014, 04:38 PM

Dome: a rounded vault forming the roof of a building or structure, typically with a circular base.

Like we have on our sewage treatment facilities. It's actually quite striking, the resemblance

darell1976
July 31st, 2014, 05:13 PM
Like we have on our sewage treatment facilities. It's actually quite striking, the resemblance

Probably smells the same?

IBleedYellow
July 31st, 2014, 05:46 PM

Edit:

BTW I was in no way saying our stadium was better than yours or our team was better than yours. I was simply stating that your Fargodome is not actually a dome by architectural definitions.

It was named the Fargodome and they were going to actually build a dome, and then the plans changed and they decided not to actually make it a true dome but keep the name.

Professor Chaos
July 31st, 2014, 06:58 PM

Edit:

What did they call the UNI-Dome when the roof collapsed? It certainly didn't have a rounded vault forming a roof then.

SDFS
July 31st, 2014, 07:24 PM
Looking forward to seeing them during the home opener.

tnbison
July 31st, 2014, 07:49 PM
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it still make a sound?

SDFS
July 31st, 2014, 09:25 PM

Yeah, that's the Alerus Center alright.

Have you guys gone to the Alerus Center and/or stayed at the CanadInn? It is a very nice facility. It has good food/drinks including beer and mixed drink if you choose. The hotel is very nice and my kids love the water park. I have had a great time at the bars on gameday. I don't get it.. as a guy that has to drive 10 hours round trip for games its great. Not trying to put down the other Dakota schools because I enjoy the unique environment of each facility but Vermillion/Brookings don't have anything close and the Fargo dome lacks anything close as far as amenities (hotel/area bars) IMO.

http://aleruscenter.s3.amazonaws.com/img/AlerusCenterMain.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2014, 09:31 PM
Have you guys gone to the Alerus Center and/or stayed at the CanadInn? It is a very nice facility. It has good food/drinks including beer and mixed drink if you choose. The hotel is very nice and my kids love the water park. I have had a great time at the bars on gameday. I don't get it.. as a guy that has to drive 10 hours round trip for games its great. Not trying to put down the other Dakota schools because I enjoy the unique environment of each facility but Vermillion/Brookings don't have anything close and the Fargo dome lacks anything close as far as amenities (hotel/area bars) IMO.

I have been inside twice. To see the Backsteet Boys in 2000ish and the final Bison/Sioux game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

darell1976
July 31st, 2014, 09:35 PM

I heard the water park at the CanadInn is not included with a hotel room stay that you have to pay separate. If true how much is the water park??

mgbison
July 31st, 2014, 09:40 PM
Fargo has a downtown, and people tailgate at NDSU games. Labby's, BWW and Applebee's are right next to the fargodome if one chooses to go to a bar.

The canadInn is a nice hotel/waterpark, but doesn't add anything to the gameday atmosphere.

IBleedYellow
July 31st, 2014, 10:34 PM
The waterpark isn't nearly as high priced as I would have expected it to be. I've been there twice with younger family members and they love it.

That said...I'm not going to be going to a waterpark when I should be tailgating.

pokefan02
July 31st, 2014, 11:00 PM
Just call yourselves the North Dakota Frackers

SDFS
July 31st, 2014, 11:44 PM
I heard the water park at the CanadInn is not included with a hotel room stay that you have to pay separate. If true how much is the water park??

Nothing over the top as far as costs go, but on a cold Oct/Nov gameday it works greats - kids go the waterpark, wife goes shopping and dad goes tailgating and to the game. No driving until the next day when it's time to go home.

SDFS
July 31st, 2014, 11:48 PM
The waterpark isn't nearly as high priced as I would have expected it to be. I've been there twice with younger family members and they love it.

That said...I'm not going to be going to a waterpark when I should be tailgating.

Thats just it with kids they go to the waterpark and dad goes tailgating. It works out great, like I said.. I enjoy all the Dakota school facilities but GF and UND has a very nice overall setup with the Alerus Center and Canad Inn.

SDFS
July 31st, 2014, 11:55 PM
Fargo has a downtown, and people tailgate at NDSU games. Labby's, BWW and Applebee's are right next to the fargodome if one chooses to go to a bar.

The canadInn is a nice hotel/waterpark, but doesn't add anything to the gameday atmosphere.

I have not been to Fargo Dome since the split and I have never gone to downtown Fargo because if I go to Fargo it is for a game at the Dome. It sounds like some additional bars have opened since my last visit. On occasion, when I don't have time to prep for the game because of work demands. I have just gone to the Alerus Center had some drinks, watch some football and played 21 in the All-American and had a very good time and then walked down for the game. Not your true tailgate experience, but it works in a pinch.

UNIFanSince1983
August 1st, 2014, 12:06 AM
What did they call the UNI-Dome when the roof collapsed? It certainly didn't have a rounded vault forming a roof then.

Did your Minnesota Vikings still call it the Metrodome when the roof collapsed? probably because after it got fixed it was going to be a dome again.

darell1976
August 1st, 2014, 08:10 AM

Downtown has really picked up with more and more businesses going in there and its not even the bars. Some good restaurants too, Spicy Pie, Rhombus Guys Pizza, Wurst (great German food), JL Beers, etc. Labby's has good burgers and once that construction on 19th Ave between 10th St and 18th St ends hopefully more businesses will go in that strip mall (TCBY and Gloria Jeans coffee closed due to it), BWW and Applebees is always a fan favorite. As for hotels they do have Days Inn and the new Candlewood Suites. One thing about the Fargodome is they don't have much room for anything else as that area is pretty locked up unless they can open up something that has been closed. Me and my family enjoy all the different choices on the northside compared to driving all the way to the southside of Fargo.

darell1976
August 1st, 2014, 08:12 AM

That sounds good.

mgbison
August 1st, 2014, 09:54 AM
Looking back, its kinda funny. I originally thought the CandaInn and waterpark was a terrible idea. However, after being at several wedding receptions and kids going to the waterpark, I was completely wrong.

Good to see downtown GF getting more businesses.

BisonBacker
August 1st, 2014, 10:28 AM
I have been inside twice. To see the Backsteet Boys in 2000ish and the final Bison/Sioux game.

That explains a lot xlolx

TheRevSFA
August 1st, 2014, 10:29 AM

Yeah that's not something you want to admit

NoDak 4 Ever
August 1st, 2014, 10:35 AM

Meh, I was a DJ at Y94 at the time and my girlfriend wanted to go. Tickets were free and it wasn't terrible.

344Johnson
August 1st, 2014, 11:14 AM
Meh, I was a DJ at Y94 at the time and my girlfriend wanted to go. Tickets were free and it wasn't terrible.

If I could go see them for free I'd definitely go

UNIFanSince1983
August 1st, 2014, 12:45 PM
Wait so you guys are talking crap on BSB now? xsmhx

MplsBison
August 1st, 2014, 03:35 PM
Ha!

The fanbase whose stadium has four standard definition video boards is poking fun at another fanbase whose stadium is installing HD video boards.

Figures.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM
Ha!

The fanbase whose stadium has four standard definition video boards is poking fun at another fanbase whose stadium is installing HD video boards.

Figures.

I notice how you consider us as "others". We pretty much knew it all along.

MplsBison
August 1st, 2014, 03:42 PM
I notice how you consider us as "others". We pretty much knew it all along.

.... where in the text you quoted yourself does it say the word "others"??

darell1976
August 1st, 2014, 04:07 PM
Ha!

Figures.

What the scoreboard looks like doesn't matter, its the numbers on the Home side of the scoreboard that matters. We will continue to take the poke from the 3 time NC, until the team actually does something on the field.

IBleedYellow
August 1st, 2014, 04:56 PM
What the scoreboard looks like doesn't matter, its the numbers on the Home side of the scoreboard that matters. We will continue to take the poke from the 3 time NC, until the team actually does something on the field.
This here. When we said we were going D1 and we were told we will fail miserably we took the blows.

Now we have 3 titles and our program is flourishing.

I think we can rag on them a little bit.

Bisonator
August 1st, 2014, 08:16 PM

Those boards will look good. Hopdfully they dont show too many shots of the "crowd".xthumbsupx

Hopefully the FD upgrades the video boards soon.

F'N Hawks
August 3rd, 2014, 11:15 PM
This here. When we said we were going D1 and we were told we will fail miserably we took the blows.

Now we have 3 titles and our program is flourishing.

I think we can rag on them a little bit.

The part I bolded has been unbelievably twisted and misconstrued over the years. I was around in 2002-2003 and remember it well. I do not remember one person saying NDSU could not compete in D1-AA football. Everyone knew you could because you beat Montana as a D2 team-and frankly most didn't think it was that huge of a jump based on the D2 success NCC teams have had (UND then went and beat UNI as a D2 team). Most of the angst was BB, VB, etc. Those are the sports where people thought you would get killed because that was full D1, not D1-AA. Obviously they were wrong for the most part, relatively speaking.

Hammersmith
August 4th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Downtown has really picked up with more and more businesses going in there and its not even the bars. Some good restaurants too, Spicy Pie, Rhombus Guys Pizza, Wurst (great German food), JL Beers, etc. Labby's has good burgers and once that construction on 19th Ave between 10th St and 18th St ends hopefully more businesses will go in that strip mall (TCBY and Gloria Jeans coffee closed due to it), BWW and Applebees is always a fan favorite. As for hotels they do have Days Inn and the new Candlewood Suites. One thing about the Fargodome is they don't have much room for anything else as that area is pretty locked up unless they can open up something that has been closed. Me and my family enjoy all the different choices on the northside compared to driving all the way to the southside of Fargo.

The locked nature of 19th Ave is actually why I hope that big NDSCS Fargo expansion actually goes through. If they build a new building for NDSCS somewhere else(and give the land back to NDSU), then a developer can come in and rework that entire half-block; maybe more if they can get the Days Inn building torn down. It would be a huge addition of retail and hotel space.

darell1976
August 4th, 2014, 10:23 AM
The locked nature of 19th Ave is actually why I hope that big NDSCS Fargo expansion actually goes through. If they build a new building for NDSCS somewhere else(and give the land back to NDSU), then a developer can come in and rework that entire half-block; maybe more if they can get the Days Inn building torn down. It would be a huge addition of retail and hotel space.

As long as USBank stays, its nice not to go across town for my ATM.xnodx

ncbears
August 4th, 2014, 11:47 AM
UNC is getting a new video board as well. Not only for football, but for basketball.

darell1976
August 4th, 2014, 12:40 PM
UNC is getting a new video board as well. Not only for football, but for basketball.

HD? Bigger?

clenz
August 4th, 2014, 12:56 PM
UND's boards are....cute...and quaint...if nothing else. Almost as big as the video boards going in UNI's basketball arena

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10498303_10152630291608760_8071122021319090835_o.j pg

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10517606_10152630291783760_5360052322621759250_o.j pg

344Johnson
August 4th, 2014, 02:05 PM
As long as USBank stays, its nice not to go across town for my ATM.xnodx

US Bank is horrible. Really should switch to a credit Union or local bank.

dakotadan
August 5th, 2014, 07:00 PM
UND's boards are....cute...and quaint...if nothing else. Almost as big as the video boards going in UNI's basketball arena

Yep, our 6 new video boards are pretty pathetic. xrolleyesx

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/dakotadan/Alerusvideoboards.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/dakotadan/media/Alerusvideoboards.jpg.html)

clenz
August 5th, 2014, 08:02 PM
There's already dead spots

MNBISON
August 6th, 2014, 02:15 PM
The part I bolded has been unbelievably twisted and misconstrued over the years. I was around in 2002-2003 and remember it well. I do not remember one person saying NDSU could not compete in D1-AA football. Everyone knew you could because you beat Montana as a D2 team-and frankly most didn't think it was that huge of a jump based on the D2 success NCC teams have had (UND then went and beat UNI as a D2 team). Most of the angst was BB, VB, etc. Those are the sports where people thought you would get killed because that was full D1, not D1-AA. Obviously they were wrong for the most part, relatively speaking.

That's BS and you know it, doom and gloom everywhere. Nice selective memory though.

F'N Hawks
August 6th, 2014, 02:28 PM
That's BS and you know it, doom and gloom everywhere. Nice selective memory though.

It's not selective, its the truth. The other sports are where people thought NDSU would get killed. I was around and nobody thought D1-AA was some unbelievable jump. Look at the D2 success that was going on at the time.

Personally, I think football is being lumped in when Bison fans are pumping themselves up looking back at the naysayers. When in reality it was the "D1" stigma as a whole that people shot down.

344Johnson
August 6th, 2014, 02:52 PM
It's not selective, its the truth. The other sports are where people thought NDSU would get killed. I was around and nobody thought D1-AA was some unbelievable jump. Look at the D2 success that was going on at the time.

Personally, I think football is being lumped in when Bison fans are pumping themselves up looking back at the naysayers. When in reality it was the "D1" stigma as a whole that people shot down.

Anyone care to go find the editorials or whatever on the internet claiming NDSU had played their last downs of significant football?

SDFS
August 6th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Bison fans start another thread if you want to roll with the everyone doubted us narrative or move it over to the UNI video board thread... I remember UNI fans being very doubtful.