PDA

View Full Version : NoCo President to Address Behavior Issues w/Athletes

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 10:48 AM
The university president will talk to all the Northern Colorado student athletes this coming Sunday. She realizes all the negative publicity the institution has had, namely with the second-string punter assault on the first-string punter in early September.

NoCo is a solid Div I program in the making. I really hope they get their act together. From reading this article, it seems that the Big Sky conference has also joined in helping NoCo succeed. Considering the Big Sky is a player in the success of NoCo, it is no surprise. Best of luck to NoCo in turning the negative publicity around.
============
Norton will meet with UNC athletes
Samuel G. Mustari
October 28, 2006

Student-athletes at the University of Northern Colorado will hear from president Kay Norton on Sunday night.

Norton will address the school's student-athletes, coaches and athletic department personnel in a 6 p.m. mandatory meeting at Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion. She's expected to talk about the university's expectations related to off-field behavior and conduct after a recent series of run-ins with the law that UNC student-athletes have experienced.

"Student-athletes are more visible," Norton said. "What we want to do is impose more stringent rules on ourselves."

The UNC football team has recently been involved in several instances that have led to charges and/or citations being served to four current or former players.

The most serious charge was leveled last week to former UNC backup punter Mitch Cozad, 22, of Wheatland, Wyo. Cozad was charged with attempted first-degree murder and second-degree assault. He is alleged to have stabbed UNC starting punter Rafael Mendoza, 22, on Sept. 11 in the parking lot of Mendoza's Evans apartment complex.

The Cozad-Mendoza incident has drawn national attention as the Bears are in their final year of transition from Division II to Division I (I-AA for football), and their first year as members of the Big Sky Conference in 14 of their 19 sports.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20061028/SPORTS/110280142

patssle
October 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
"students, please do not stab your fellow athletes in the leg"