PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Voters tips & tricks

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2014, 01:09 AM
New voters especially, these are some things you need to know and do when voting.

You must utilize the fact that a ballot is emailed to you for your perusal. It is incumbent upon YOU to make sure your ballot is correct. I have everal ways to try and mitigate mistakes you might make but YOU are the first line of defense on getting your ballot right. You get an email, look at it.

Second thing is if I catch a mistake I email you asking for your help in clearing up the mistake. Check whatever email account you use for this at least a couple times a day in case you have an issue that needs clearing up. If I don't get a response then I have no choice but to toss your effort out the window.

Third, If you are one of those guys that likes to vote last minute then you better be damn sure your ballot is squared away as leaving me or others little time to make corrections may also involve a wasted effort on your part because it make fixing things through email very tough late in the game.

Lastly for now, when you are emailed about a fix on your ballot you respond to the email. Email is how we handle fixes, not pm's to agspoll, ursus, supey, etc. Respond to the email sent to you with any problems. That is the one way we are doing things this year.

I will add to this tomorrow if I think of anything else but there are several of you voters who have been emailed many hours prior to this and I have seen zero responses so get with the program and check your ballots.xthumbsupx

superman7515
July 25th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Don't post your entire poll on the thread, but don't be afraid to discuss teams before you vote either. If you're on the fence between two teams, which happens easily early in the season when there are so many teams with similar records, you can get some good back and forth between people that can give you pro's and con's for each.

813Jag
July 25th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Here's another: being asked to make a clarification or to explain your rationale is not a personal attack, so do cop an attitude. The process is easier that way. We've all had duplicate teams or even the wrong team on our ballots. We're all (kinda xlolx) friends here.

clenz
July 25th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Here's another: being asked to make a clarification or to explain your rationale is not a personal attack, so do cop an attitude. The process is easier that way. We've all had duplicate teams or even the wrong team on our ballots. We're all (kinda xlolx) friends here.This x10000

I'll try to be cordial when asking you why the f*** you the way you did...

It's not an attack. It's just that I'm as good with words as Ricky Bobby is with his hands...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3860463/what-to-do-with-my-hands-o.gif

superman7515
July 25th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Also, when in doubt, Lehigh doesn't belong that high.

superman7515
July 25th, 2014, 07:48 AM
We've all had duplicate teams or even the wrong team on our ballots...

Please pay attention to Delaware/Delaware State, Montana/Montana State, North Dakota/North Dakota State, South Dakota/South Dakota State, Jacksonville/Jacksonville State.

You would think that there wouldn't be any confusion, but it's really easy to scroll a little farther than you meant and not notice it.

ElonFirefighter
July 25th, 2014, 07:53 AM
When in doubt select Elon 😈
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

clenz
July 25th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Also, when in doubt, Lehigh, any OVC, any MEAC, any Big South (99% of the time), and Ivy don't belong that high.
FIFYxnodx:D

McNeese75
July 25th, 2014, 08:26 AM
No matter how many CAA teams are in the top 25, it's never enough :D

superman7515
July 25th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Head-to-head results matter.

Smitty
July 25th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Significant win/loss doesn't really matter in the preseason right? (I made sure to go ahead and list chattanooga there because it is always the case)

superman7515
July 25th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Most Significant Loss: NDSU losing Bohl

clenz
July 25th, 2014, 08:48 AM
That's a similar approach I took

I went UNI because they win by getting multiple starters that missed last season back and start over healthy again

Loss I went with Southern Utah. There were other teams that lost more players, but I think the way Southern got bounced in the playoffs after getting the nod over other ALs to represent the Big Sky (controversially to many) was a big hit for them and maybe the Big Sky going forward. I would have gone with SHSU or EIU had they been bounced a round sooner.

Bisonator
July 25th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Not even close.

clenz
July 25th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Not even close.
Jensen and Turner are much bigger losses.

But, as we've been told this new kid is 100 times better than Jensen and will double all of Jensen's stats.

Bisonator
July 25th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Jensen and Turner are much bigger losses.

But, as we've been told this new kid is 100 times better than Jensen and will double all of Jensen's stats.

I haven't said that. He's talented, has the physical tools to do it, but unproven. Turner is the biggest loss bar none.

McNeese75
July 25th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Not even close.

Bisonator
July 25th, 2014, 08:59 AM

Think what you want but Bohl did very little actual coaching. He was a great head coach because he put the right assistants in place and let them coach.

clenz
July 25th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Again...why am I defending NDSU...

He speaks the truth.

knucklehead
July 25th, 2014, 10:16 AM
But remember, NDSU is ALWAYS #1 no matter what.

Kemo
July 25th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Significant win/loss doesn't really matter in the preseason right? (I made sure to go ahead and list chattanooga there because it is always the case)
I put NDSU as most significant win and Towson with the most significant loss because they were the only two teams playing in the last week. No teams managed to upset or be upset by Offseason University.

paward
July 25th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Do not get caught with your pants down at home. Unless you are NDSU being a homer gets you in a lot of trouble. I hold my team to higher standards. They have to earn my vote on the double take.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Please pay attention to Delaware/Delaware State, Montana/Montana State, North Dakota/North Dakota State, South Dakota/South Dakota State, Jacksonville/Jacksonville State.

You would think that there wouldn't be any confusion, but it's really easy to scroll a little farther than you meant and not notice it.

Which is one of the main reasons people need to look at their ballot when it is emailed back to them. Those are mistakes the voter should be contacting the AGS Poll about.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Like the discussion folks thanks for chipping in, I appreciate it.

This thread is sort of about the process of voting here at AGSf and some of the things that you as voters and us as the ones running the poll have noticed that we can share with those not as experienced to help them along with it.

Let's leave the actual team discussions to the couple threads already rolling on that topic.

Another little tip:

If you do not receive an email with your ballot it is very likely that you messed up your email when inputing so if you don't see it you can pm me over that and I can fix the problem and get you your ballot.

Another, do not be afraid to contact me if you see a mistake you've made. Let's say you selected Montana when you meant to have Montana State in that spot. Just get an email reply back to me from your ballot explaining and I can easily fix it for you. It makes the results of the poll better so I'm happy to fix those up for you...don't hesitate to get in touch with those things.

But again, trty and use the email as opposed to pm's if you could.

clenz
July 25th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I keep a running list with weekly polls in a google drive sheet that is has my top 25 and teams considered for each week and a column for where they were last week.

A basic example I threw together to share, so I don't share my poll just yet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SSPWD-dLy3Xiq1AOKrlRmzzRhU-Aa6EymH0wa2twE2k/edit#gid=0

I have color codes to indicate loss to higher ranked team, loss to lower ranked team, loss to unranked team, good win, bad loss, etc...

I occasionally have to go back and see who a team lost too in week 3 by the end of the season and that loss might not have been a bad loss anymore so I change the color code.

It takes time but the end result is much better than Joe Schmuck poster throwing rankings together all willy nilly

clenz
July 25th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Don't slide teams because you feel you should.
If your #10 team lost but you still feel they are #10 don't slide them down just because they lost - unless it was a bad loss.
Don't slide teams up just because they win.
Don't be afraid to take a team from #11ish to out of the top 25 the next week.
Don't let your previous weeks poll influence this weeks poll

If you do any of the above and are just sliding a team up or down a couple spots because they added 1 to the W or L column and not based on anything else you're doing the poll a disservice.

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Remember, everyone has their own way of doing a poll. If you have your own way and you stick to it and are able to defend your position on any quibble, I think you are doing a job well done.

OL FU
July 25th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Head-to-head results matter.

I do agree with this one, but even then at least as the season progresses you can't disregard the rest of the season.

Realizing this one is a long way off but for the final poll of the year, head to head in the playoffs is extremely importantxnodx

MTfan4life
July 25th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Also important to remember that if you aren't receiving any of these emails from ursus or agspoll, make sure and add [email protected] to your safe sender list.

813Jag
July 25th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Also important to remember that if you aren't receiving any of these emails from ursus or agspoll, make sure and add [email protected] to your safe sender list.
but don't be surprised by the other emails that come from that address...........

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree with this one, but even then at least as the season progresses you can't disregard the rest of the season.

Realizing this one is a long way off but for the final poll of the year, head to head in the playoffs is extremely importantxnodx
I agree head to head is important but two teams shouldn't be married to each other because of that game.

OL FU
July 25th, 2014, 03:08 PM
but don't be surprised by the other emails that come from that address...........

- - - Updated - - -

I agree head to head is important but two teams shouldn't be married to each other because of that game.

I agree to that is why I focused on the playoffs, difficult to rate someone above a team that beat them in the playoffs unless it was simply a huge fluke upset. (can't get the two cents emoticon to work:-))

bjtheflamesfan
July 25th, 2014, 04:25 PM

- - - Updated - - -

+1000000

Hypothetical example:

Lets say you have Eastern Washington #1 and Sam Houston State #11. Sam Houston beats Eastern. now on first blush you may automatically rocket Sam past Eastern (which is a flawed methodology in and of itself), but say you get to week...say...9. you cannot keep ranking Sam ahead of Eastern if they are 5-3 and EWU is 7-1.

Bogus Megapardus
July 25th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Also, when in doubt, Lehigh doesn't belong that high.

:) xrotatehx xnodx

Lehigh'98
July 25th, 2014, 05:21 PM
:) xrotatehx xnodx

4th in wins since 2010. 3-1 vs Leopards. Dominating force, but I understand your envy Bogus.

citdog
July 25th, 2014, 10:36 PM
4th in wins since 2010. 3-1 vs Leopards. Dominating force, but I understand your envy Bogus.

By playing NOBODY. A poor JMU team will beat you by 4 TD's the first week.

Lehigh'98
July 25th, 2014, 11:00 PM
By playing NOBODY. A poor JMU team will beat you by 4 TD's the first week.

I know you are a closet Patriot League fan and you are really impressed by the mix of academic brilliance combined with raw athleticism. Something the SoCon aspires to one day.

I'll play long with you for fun anyway though. Since 2010, Lehigh has defeated UNI, CAA champions Towson and semifinalist UNH, along with being one tweet in poor taste from eliminating NDSU ;) All 3 of those wins are better than anything the Citadel has since the Reagan administration. Good luck against CCU!!

citdog
July 25th, 2014, 11:04 PM
I know you are a closet Patriot League fan and you are really impressed by the mix of academic brilliance combined with raw athleticism. Something the SoCon aspires to one day.

I'll play long with you for fun anyway though. Since 2010, Lehigh has defeated UNI, CAA champions Towson and semifinalist UNH, along with being one tweet in poor taste from eliminating NDSU ;) All 3 of those wins are better than anything the Citadel has since the Reagan administration. Good luck against CCU!!

Because those teams are South Carolina, Arkansas, Hudson High, and Canoe U. Furman, yosef, pigs ass, ga etc etc.

BisonFan02
July 25th, 2014, 11:07 PM

Do you seriously think you were one bad tweet away from beating NDSU?

Lehigh'98
July 26th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Do you seriously think you were one bad tweet away from beating NDSU?

No