PDA

View Full Version : Accepting transfers

Sammy94
July 24th, 2014, 10:57 AM
The biggest thing I heard about KC Keeler before he arrived was you better be ready for a transfer QB. This article on different philosophies regarding transfers makes me think we got the right guy in charge of our program. SHSU does have a few transfers this year mainly because of the coaching change just weeks before signing day but I like the fact Keeler will be building the program on recruiting.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/x1027606038/Southland-coaches-have-different-takes-on-accepting-transfer-players

msupokes1
July 24th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I think Coach Viator explained it best yesterday during media day. He basically said you don't want to kill a whole recruiting class by taking transfers. My take is that you build your base with your recruits and you fill the holes with transfers.

lionsrking2
July 24th, 2014, 11:24 AM
IMO, if you're recruiting good people, who know how to work and take care of their business, on and off the field, it doesn't matter whether they're transfers or high school kids.

SFA 93
August 6th, 2014, 09:29 PM
former TCU DE Devonte Fields Big 12 defensive player of the year to SFA.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/08/devonte-fields-twitter-biography-says-he-is-transferring-to-sfa.html/

Sammy94
August 6th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Hide the females in Nac.

bonarae
August 6th, 2014, 09:41 PM
On topic:

The Ivies tried accepting FBS to FCS transfers when the trend was still there. But those transfers had mixed results: some shined (e.g. Clifton Dawson), others flopped (Bill Foran, Richard Irvin, Von Bryant).

Today, the only example that I know of an Ivy transfer is a Canadian transfer whose future with the Bulldogs is in doubt because of injuries, Yale RB Tyler Varga.

However, most of the recruits that we get today usually change positions after one or two seasons with the team. Are your teams' players under this trend as well? (examples: several Harvard players converted from QB to WR or TE in recent years)

SFA 93
August 6th, 2014, 09:41 PM
your QB won't be able to

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Seth+Doege+Devonte+Fields+Texas+Tech+v+TCU+k4Ik_Yd V9Tql.jpg

Sammy94
August 6th, 2014, 09:51 PM
xthumbsupxhe won't have the ball long enough to worry about it.

2ram
August 7th, 2014, 09:11 AM
fordham seems to be doing quite well picking up xfers to fill spots. i'm just not sure how sustainable it is as a staffing model. let's face it, you're subject to limited availability of athletes, thier positions, and desire to move to your school.

i think xfers are basically a great way to enhance your program, but you can't really build a recruiting model around them... but i'm no expert so maybe you can.

@ bonrae, i don't mean to be 'iviest' here, but maybe the issue with IL xfers is the overall philosophy towards football. perhaps they are less inclined to put a xfer in a spot over another that was specifically recruited and/or joined the team to play it. player families may have some sort of input here. idk. the spotty success is strange...

caribbeanhen
August 7th, 2014, 09:36 AM
"We are the ultimate work in progress. The reality is we're in a rebuilding situation. We've got a three-prong situation. We're rebuilding the academic piece, the social piece and the football piece and trying to create a culture that we think is going to lead to championships and being successful on and off the field, and that's where we are."

KC successor Dave Brock still talking about the mess he found in Newark, good luck with KC and I mean that...... The rap on him was if he missed on the transfers, his recruits were not good enough for him to win enough....... the argument still divides Hen fans on gohens....http://gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17081&start=30

McNeese75
August 7th, 2014, 09:38 AM
your QB won't be able to

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Seth+Doege+Devonte+Fields+Texas+Tech+v+TCU+k4Ik_Yd V9Tql.jpg

xdontknowx You will probably be lucky to get him on the field before he ends up in Jail.

Twentysix
August 7th, 2014, 10:12 AM
On topic:

The Ivies tried accepting FBS to FCS transfers when the trend was still there. But those transfers had mixed results: some shined (e.g. Clifton Dawson), others flopped (Bill Foran, Richard Irvin, Von Bryant).

Today, the only example that I know of an Ivy transfer is a Canadian transfer whose future with the Bulldogs is in doubt because of injuries, Yale RB Tyler Varga.

However, most of the recruits that we get today usually change positions after one or two seasons with the team. Are your teams' players under this trend as well? (examples: several Harvard players converted from QB to WR or TE in recent years)

Yes, we have players that come in as one thing and change to another throughout their college career. I don't think "most" is an apt term to describe NDSU, but it certainly has happened, and will continue to happen.

In recent memory (and I doubt this is all encompassing) we have had a WR become a punter, a RB become a punter, a RB become a LB, a FB become a RB, a QB become a WR, a QB become a LB (this QB took a game snap in a National Championship as a QB and was a starter as a LB in another National Championship), as well as linemen become other linemen positions..

Laker
August 7th, 2014, 10:15 AM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/college-football/story/_/id/11319301/devonte-fields-says-transferring-tcu-horned-frogs-stephen-f-austin

"The Big 12 preseason Defensive Player of the Year was "separated" from TCU after he was accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend on July 20. He turned himself in to police four days later, after being served with a misdemeanor assault warrant."

Go Green
August 7th, 2014, 10:17 AM

He's the only guy who is expected to be (health pending) on an Ivy roster for 2014.

Last year there were several others. But they either graduated or elected to stop playing football.

SFA 93
August 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Yeah that Willie Jefferson thing just didn't work out when Willie was given a second chance at SFA.

2X All-Conference and All-American

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/dailysentinel.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/37/f3749e4a-04d1-11e1-a66d-001cc4c002e0/4eb06705ade74.image.jpg

Who knows what will happen, we will soon see.

Sam_Kats
August 7th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Eh. 0-2 vs my Kats

SFA 93
August 7th, 2014, 02:48 PM
What's your record against Coach Conque? :D

Not Willie's fault our QB threw more completions to DBs than WRs

Sammy94
August 7th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Sounds like Texas' Jalen Overstreet is headed to town.

Laker
August 7th, 2014, 09:23 PM

I would guess that a lot of Longhorn players who got booted or quit will be transferring to other colleges. He is making them earn the Longhorn decal in Austin.

McNeese75
August 8th, 2014, 10:59 PM

Nope, Tyler Juco

McNeese75
August 8th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Yeah that Willie Jefferson thing just didn't work out when Willie was given a second chance at SFA.

2X All-Conference and All-American

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/dailysentinel.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/37/f3749e4a-04d1-11e1-a66d-001cc4c002e0/4eb06705ade74.image.jpg

Who knows what will happen, we will soon see.

It appears he will not be wearing Jack purple this season.

Texas
August 9th, 2014, 10:30 AM
What's your record against Coach Conque? :D

Not Willie's fault our QB threw more completions to DBs than WRs

All I know our record vs SFA (51-35-2) dwarfs what ever record Conque has against us. Good to know that SFA hired Conque just because he could beat Fritz, kinda sad when you think about it especially since Fritz left. Time to hunt down who had Keeler's number now and hire them?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SFA 93
August 9th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I guess we are due :D

And for the record, Conque came knocking on SFA's door, like he did back in 2005. But good try.

BEAR
August 13th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Looks like former uaf player Otha Peters might be going to SELA.

VERY GOOD pickup. What a talent.

My dog Otha say he coming home. SELU???????? Hmmmmm wbu Jay Wash @otha_peters (https://twitter.com/otha_peters)

Reply Replied to 0 times (https://twitter.com/SHAQCALLAHAN/status/499250104310571009)
Retweet Retweeted Retweeted 2 times 2
Favorite Favorited Favorited 2 times 2
More

Embed Tweet

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/451061032572551168/IvQ9OrOY_normal.jpeg Otha Peters Jr @otha_peters (https://twitter.com/otha_peters) · Aug 12 (https://twitter.com/otha_peters/status/499208673067933696)

Louisiana here I comehttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f697.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f4a8.png

katstrapper
August 14th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Nope, Tyler Juco

Nope, he is on the roster and practicing.

Keeler has added transfers to add depth and fill some holes as well. Getting into Huntsville so late, the recruiting season was a disaster as far number of kids taken. Team was thin in several areas on both sides of the ball. Most of the kids transferring in are kids that are from Texas . Wide Receivers was one area that was seriously lacking.....

Add these receivers to the transfer list....

LaDarius Brown .... TCU
Kiante Griffin ....... Baylor
Derek Edwards .... Tx Tech
Jeff Thomas ........ Colorado

TheRevSFA
August 14th, 2014, 07:34 AM
So how did they manipulate it so overstreet got in? Initially he didn't meet Sam requirements?

Sammy94
August 14th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Initially he didn't meet Sam requirements?

I'm not sure what went on behind the scenes with that one. I heard lots of things but I talked to a lady in admissions at the scrimmage on Sat.and she told me she personally did his transfer paper work and everything is a go.
Think he is third on the depth chart for now but with our new offense 3/4 RB and 7/8 WR will see plenty of playing time. Keeler wasn't lying when he said he wants to run 100 plays on offense a game. The depth Sam has now with all these transfers is incredible, should be a fun season.

BEAR
August 14th, 2014, 08:55 AM
So is every team in the SLC going to run the 10 second offense? Geez... LOL

McNeese75
August 14th, 2014, 09:06 AM
So is every team in the SLC going to run the 10 second offense? Geez... LOL

Not us, never have.

BEAR
August 14th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Not us, never have.

It's hard to run the ball or even pass it with sandbags tied to your ankles..xnodx

McNeese75
August 14th, 2014, 11:30 AM
It's hard to run the ball or even pass it with sandbags tied to your ankles..xnodx

yep, and when all you have is little slow players

McNeese72
August 14th, 2014, 01:47 PM

No need for sandbags. We are just naturally slow.

Nickels
August 14th, 2014, 07:06 PM
The depth Sam has now with all these transfers is incredible, should be a fun season.
Most depth I've seen since I started following the program, by a long shot...

McNeese75
August 14th, 2014, 09:40 PM

We are hearing the same thing from our fall camp. Seems to be in the vogue this year.

lionsrking2
August 14th, 2014, 10:39 PM

We are hearing the same thing from our fall camp. Seems to be in the vogue this year.

We're lucky to scrounge up 11 on each side of the ball ... we had to call up eighth graders just to fill the 2-deep. xeyebrowx

McNeese75
August 14th, 2014, 11:46 PM
We're lucky to scrounge up 11 on each side of the ball ... we had to call up eighth graders just to fill the 2-deep. xeyebrowx

Yep that is EXACTLY what your coach was crowing about at SLC Media Day. No depth whatsoever xcoffeex

lionsrking2
August 15th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Yep that is EXACTLY what your coach was crowing about at SLC Media Day. No depth whatsoever xcoffeex

What he meant is we have a lot of deep thinkers. xreadxxreadxxsmiley_wix

McNeese75
August 15th, 2014, 02:02 PM
What he meant is we have a lot of deep thinkers. xreadxxreadxxsmiley_wix

xeyebrowx :D

Cocky
August 20th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Just picked up two more SEC DLs.

Gangtackle11
August 21st, 2014, 05:07 AM
Delaware staff is definitely fighting previous regime's transfer policies. I happen to have a FCS son that choose another school over Delaware. UD coach emailed my son to find out if the other school had talked to him about how UD used transfers. They didn't, but the sensitivity is there.

I have met Brock a few times and I think he's a solid guy. I wish him luck. My kid just liked another school a little bit more.

YoUDeeMan
August 21st, 2014, 07:31 AM
Delaware staff is definitely fighting previous regime's transfer policies. I happen to have a FCS son that choose another school over Delaware. UD coach emailed my son to find out if the other school had talked to him about how UD used transfers. They didn't, but the sensitivity is there.

I have met Brock a few times and I think he's a solid guy. I wish him luck. My kid just liked another school a little bit more.

Holy crap. Brock is worried about how potential recruits think about how UD used transfers? xeyebrowx xlolx

Jesus Christ, that is dumb.

Did Brock ask him what type of pillow he wanted in his dorm room?

PS...your avatar...it's showing. ;)

Gangtackle11
August 21st, 2014, 10:54 AM
Holy crap. Brock is worried about how potential recruits think about how UD used transfers? xeyebrowx xlolx

Jesus Christ, that is dumb.

Did Brock ask him what type of pillow he wanted in his dorm room?

PS...your avatar...it's showing. ;)

it wasn't Brock. They wanted to see if schools were using it to negative recruit their kids. I think any good coach would like to know why a recruit didn't lean their way. Makes you better at recruiting if u know what the enemy is doing. No?

YoUDeeMan
August 24th, 2014, 03:32 PM
it wasn't Brock. They wanted to see if schools were using it to negative recruit their kids. I think any good coach would like to know why a recruit didn't lean their way. Makes you better at recruiting if u know what the enemy is doing. No?

Did the nova staff ask your son if UD talked about the possibility of getting run over by a drunken priest?

A recruiting staff should focus on what they do well. Any time spent on asking a recruit if another staff was talking about how a team used transfers, especially one with a new coach, is useless.

What, exactly, would UD's staff have done if your son said nova did talk about how UD used to use transfers? Would they begin by saying, "Brock isn't recruiting transfers, so you're safe with us!"

Gangtackle11
August 25th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Did the nova staff ask your son if UD talked about the possibility of getting run over by a drunken priest?

A recruiting staff should focus on what they do well. Any time spent on asking a recruit if another staff was talking about how a team used transfers, especially one with a new coach, is useless.

What, exactly, would UD's staff have done if your son said nova did talk about how UD used to use transfers? Would they begin by saying, "Brock isn't recruiting transfers, so you're safe with us!"

I dont know nor do I care. I'm not going to get into a war over how you feel about Coach Brock and his recruiting staff. Delaware is a great school with great tradition. They have passionate fans like you appear to be, but with that comes a house divided on Brock from what I see. You would know better than me, but there are Hen fans who kill him every step of the way it appears. I understand there are Keeler supporters who can't give Brock an inch. I don't know where you fall, but as far as my kid and I stand we're fans of everyone we met at Delaware football. I hope Brock & staff win every game besides Nova every year. It was only that Nova felt more like home to my kid at the end of the day. We'll leave it at that. You want to kill us or Brock have at it, but we feel Brock and staff were awesome and wish him well. Take care Cluck.

YoUDeeMan
August 25th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I dont know nor do I care. I'm not going to get into a war over how you feel about Coach Brock and his recruiting staff. Delaware is a great school with great tradition. They have passionate fans like you appear to be, but with that comes a house divided on Brock from what I see. You would know better than me, but there are Hen fans who kill him every step of the way it appears. I understand there are Keeler supporters who can't give Brock an inch. I don't know where you fall, but as far as my kid and I stand we're fans of everyone we met at Delaware football. I hope Brock & staff win every game besides Nova every year. It was only that Nova felt more like home to my kid at the end of the day. We'll leave it at that. You want to kill us or Brock have at it, but we feel Brock and staff were awesome and wish him well. Take care Cluck.

Hyperbole, much?

No one wants to kill Brock or you. xlolx

We just want UD football to win.

So far, Brock has made some really stupid mistakes. Weaver is the biggest one. UD fans like Devine and a couple of the other coaches, but Brock isn't winning over anyone but the KC haters.

So far, Brock appears to not want to admit his mistakes and focus his blame on the kids, the media...anyone but the source. That is drawing some concern and criticism...deservedly so. His lack of previous head coach experience is showing and it isn't always pretty. He needed a couple linemen...even he said so and told a few insiders that he would have a few ready for the season. Unfortunately, Brock's efforts were less than stellar, we ended up with no new lineman, and instead of admitting he failed, he starts with the excuses as to why the transfers he targeted did not make it on campus. Then he tells a reporter that he isn't going to bring in 12 transfers. No one asked for twelve...it was a strawman argument and just another excuse. Now he is talking about injuries.

Welcome to not having 85 scholarships.

Brock is the coach...has been for 19 months. He is responsible for the success of the team, yet seems to be stuck in the past. Your story about the transfer boogie man focus is just another example of looking back instead of looking forward.

Hopefully, we'll get it straightened out...but it ain't looking good.

Gangtackle11
August 25th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I got it. I hope he does. I saw more positive than negative in him, but I don't have as much invested in Delaware as a super fan like you.

You may have a point with Weaver, but I think Dottin-Carter will help there. Agree with you on Devine. Ultimately it's Brock ship to steer. I know 7-5 (lost last 3) is unacceptable at a place like Delaware, but I hope he gets it done except for " The Battle of the Blue".

All good. We'll see you down the road.

2ram
August 25th, 2014, 02:42 PM
i don't understand why you wouldn't want to understand how you're being recruited against. pretending to live in a bubble seems silly to me...

Brad82
August 25th, 2014, 05:09 PM
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/20140818silxwq

Rhody has several they are counting on.
they will help some. 4 or 5 wins this year is my prediction.

YoUDeeMan
August 26th, 2014, 10:33 AM
I got it. I hope he does. I saw more positive than negative in him, but I don't have as much invested in Delaware as a super fan like you.

You may have a point with Weaver, but I think Dottin-Carter will help there. Agree with you on Devine. Ultimately it's Brock ship to steer. I know 7-5 (lost last 3) is unacceptable at a place like Delaware, but I hope he gets it done except for " The Battle of the Blue".

All good. We'll see you down the road.

Hopefully D-C will be the real DC and not a Co-DC. That will be a step in the right direction...and a sign that Brock will ditch his friends and instead hire people who have a successful track record.

A lot of Delaware fans dislike everything Nova, but I always root for conference teams and local teams to do well in games that don't involve UD. So, I hope playoffs are in line for both of our teams come November.

Good luck to your son...and I hope he plays well in his losses to UD. ;)

YoUDeeMan
August 26th, 2014, 10:38 AM
i don't understand why you wouldn't want to understand how you're being recruited against. pretending to live in a bubble seems silly to me...

The difference is that Brock can set his own recruiting standards...but he is stuck focusing on the past. Of all the questions to ask about why a recruit was lost, why reference something that is not part of what you are doing?

2ram
August 27th, 2014, 12:26 PM
The difference is that Brock can set his own recruiting standards...but he is stuck focusing on the past. Of all the questions to ask about why a recruit was lost, why reference something that is not part of what you are doing?

how about so you can dispel the myth? i mean, if you were a salesman and you lost a big deal, wouldn't you want to know how or why so you can do a better job next time? especially if the reason was untrue... seem pretty 101 to me.