Lamar

Abilene Christian

Nicholls

UIW

Houston Baptist

BEAR
July 23rd, 2014, 09:38 AM
Swap UCA and SHSU and it looks good.

Reason: SHSU lost so much talent on both sides of the ball. UCA gets all of theirs back after season long injuries and their backups will be better because of last year. Unless Sam is hoarding talent we haven't heard about. IMO.

Darkhorse: ACU. The SLC is in for a nice surprise as another UCA grad leads a strong SLC team yearly.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
With new additions, a few coaching changes and some impact players leaving the league...

I do not think that anyone that follows the Southland Conference should have a big problem with the preseason poll(s) this year. Everyone is within a slot of where most of us would figure they would be heading into this year.

As always, one of those teams picked in the bottom half of the league will likely "make a move" to challenge Southeastern Louisiana, especially with the unbalanced scheduling that exists.

BEAR
July 23rd, 2014, 10:22 AM
Well said Terror.

Daytripper
July 23rd, 2014, 11:12 AM
Dark horses are ACU and SFA.

Danco
July 23rd, 2014, 10:34 PM
If McNeese is able to develop A QB, they will make a lot of noise. UCA will be a challenge. If they can avoid the injury bug from last year, they may be the team that can give SLU a run for their money. My only question on the Cowboys and Bears this year is whether or not they are deep enough to endure a few injuries, which are bound to happen.

McNeese75
July 24th, 2014, 10:05 AM
If McNeese is able to develop A QB, they will make a lot of noise. UCA will be a challenge. If they can avoid the injury bug from last year, they may be the team that can give SLU a run for their money. My only question on the Cowboys and Bears this year is whether or not they are deep enough to endure a few injuries, which are bound to happen.

Probably as deep as any FCS team can be. Depends on how many is "a few" and what positions they happen at. I watched the media day broadcast last night and the SELU coach was all bubbly about the depth they have this year (and they do) but a key injury to Bennett would change things dramatically (and don't even start on how a backup could step right in and nothing would change because we all know that is NOT the case).

Danco
July 24th, 2014, 10:42 AM
There is no doubt - an injury to Bennett would change the landscape for SLU in an instant. Anytime a player of his caliber goes down - the team he is playing for has to make adjustments. I agree with you that backup quarterbacks simply cannot replace the skill set of the bona fide starter - not to mention the leadership. Nice post 75.

lionsrking2
July 24th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Probably as deep as any FCS team can be. Depends on how many is "a few" and what positions they happen at. I watched the media day broadcast last night and the SELU coach was all bubbly about the depth they have this year (and they do) but a key injury to Bennett would change things dramatically (and don't even start on how a backup could step right in and nothing would change because we all know that is NOT the case).

You can say that about any school who loses their starting QB, though we do have some precedent to go on when Bennett went down with a knee injury very early in the Samford game. Jordan Barnett came in and did a great job leading us to victory over an eventual playoff team. Would we be the "same" team without BB? Of course not, but when you're talking about depth at the QB position, we're in about as good a shape as anybody as far as having someone capable of coming off the bench and holding down the fort. We also have a young transfer from ULL (D'Shaie Landor) who shows promise.