PDA

View Full Version : Video Streaming - SoCon finally moves into 21st century

The Cats
July 22nd, 2014, 10:40 AM
The Southern Conference will launch the SoCon Digital Network, a free streaming service available live and on demand, in late August,

The SoCon Digital Network will enable fans to watch their favorite teams at home and on the road in league play in high definition (HD). The content will be accessible through the SoCon member schools’ websites as well as through the conference’s official site, SoConSports.com. All 10 schools and the league office will produce events for the network.

The Southern Conference has purchased more than $2 million worth of video and audio equipment for its member institutions to bring them all up to the SoCon Digital Network’s broadcast standards.

Events will be shot from multiple camera angles and will incorporate audio through a combination of radio feeds and dedicated announcers. The network will feature live broadcasts of games not selected for carriage on national or regional outlets, as well as highlight packages, coaches’ shows, student-athlete features and more.

The content will be adaptive to a variety of mobile devices, including smartphones, iPad and Android tablets, and laptops and PCs.

Viewer features will include the ability to watch four events at once, picture-in-picture, and DVR rewind, pause and fast-forward controls. The network will also utilize consistent graphics and will feature replays.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209600518&DB_OEM_ID=4000

chattanoogamocs
July 22nd, 2014, 12:00 PM
In general, I am happy that this is happening.

But, all the equipment in the world won't matter unless you have competent people running it at the member institutions.

The good news is, all the schools will now be accountable for a professional broadcast (some schools will have a lot of catching up to do).

chattanoogamocs
July 22nd, 2014, 12:06 PM
Oh...

and thanks to ASU, GSU, Davidson, Elon and CofC for the exit fees to pay for all of this. ;)

catamount man
July 22nd, 2014, 12:27 PM
Oh...

and thanks to ASU, GSU, Davidson, Elon and CofC for the exit fees to pay for all of this. ;)

It has come in handy. LOL!xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

This is good. Now I can watch WCU games that I might not be able to make. GO CATS!

Bogus Megapardus
July 22nd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Again, imitation is the highest form of flattery. xrolleyesx

chattanoogamocs
July 22nd, 2014, 09:37 PM
This has been talked about on and off for a couple of years...GSU, ASU and UTC were against it (because they generated pretty decent revenue from their online subscriptions and advertisers). But once 2 of the 3 left, it just left UTC to really object so the conference bought out their contract with Learfield Sports (who owned the marketing rights to all broadcasts).

Like I said earlier, my biggest concern is the member institutions doing a good job. Mocsvision has 3 full time employees and 6 part-timers with 3 camera positions and a fully integrated graphics package (that is why they didn't want to just give it away for free). Some of the previous attempts by other members range from good, to average, to embarrassing. I hope after spending this much on technology, member institutions will spend the money to hire professional staff to run the show and not just staff it with a bunch of free student interns (some interns are fine...it is great experience for them...but you can't rely on them solely)

On the other hand, If my 1 year old can do it, I guess the job isn't too hard....... :)

walliver
July 23rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
I have heard that Wofford is putting forth a lot of effort to put this streaming into an academic context, and will use it as a springboard to enhance education in video production and related fields. In the past, streaming was one guy with a webcam and a simulcast of the radio announcers (which were not synced).

I suspect most schools will put forth a decent effort.

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2014, 11:27 PM
Chattanooga has a good mix of video production interns from UTC and professionals that work as contract employees from local TV stations. One of our cameramen works for Fox 61, one for Channel 9, and one teaching video production and camerawork at a local vo-tech high school. We are also lucky that out director came to us from the Carolina Hurricanes (she worked at ASU and then the Carolina Hurricanes before coming to Chattanooga when her husband took a coaching job here).

For those who don't know, I work for Mocsvision part time. I am responsible for running ads, into videos, and during the game I run the computer that inserts/overlays the graphics (score bug, replay, etc). It is a really fun experience...Chattanooga has a great group of hardworking people that put an a great show (we simultaneously produce and online stream and the in-house video boards) but it still feels like family.

I have to give big ups to Owen Seaton who started Mocsvision from scratch (he came to us from VCU). He just took a job this spring running the largest 4K video board in the world at Churchill Downs (they made him a financial offer he couldn't refuse).

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Again, imitation is the highest form of flattery. xrolleyesx

Wait...hasn't the BSC had this for over a decade?

It's a really cool deal SoCon, really like it!

The Cats
July 24th, 2014, 07:05 PM
In a Furman video I saw today, it was said the SoCon Digital Network would be very similar to the Ivy League Digital Network. They said to look at their network, as the SoCon would be very similar.

here's a link to the Ivy League network http://www.ivyleaguedigitalnetwork.com/

Baldy
July 25th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Oh...

You're very welcome, and it was worth every penny. xthumbsupx ;)

citdog
July 25th, 2014, 07:41 PM
You're very welcome, and it was worth every penny. xthumbsupx ;)

GSU is in Atlanta.

Baldy
July 28th, 2014, 10:49 AM
GSU is in Atlanta.
The one nobody knows about, yes.xnodx