PDA

View Full Version : Ranking The SoCon Running Backs

SU DOG
July 20th, 2014, 09:52 PM
This guy does a good job with his articles.

http://soconjohn.blogspot.com/2014/07/ranking-socons-running-backs.html

SU DOG
July 20th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Also WR/TEs

http://soconjohn.blogspot.com/2014/07/southern-conference-football-2014.html

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2014, 05:50 AM
Good write up. Hard to throw a lot in there that I disagree with.

chattownmocs
July 21st, 2014, 09:18 AM
Appparenly he doesnt realize Keon Williams only played 7 games. Only way in hell he could put him behind the VMI guy.

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2014, 09:25 AM
Appparenly he doesnt realize Keon Williams only played 7 games. Only way in hell he could put him behind the VMI guy.

I would not put it like you just did, but yes that was a glaring mistake.

Keon Williams should be #2. Williams doesn't have a big, NFL type OL to run behind but he is a big back who runs downhill and has really worked hard this off-season.

That's the only glaring change I would make. The others are all lower tier type backs and it's hard to say one is better than the other yet so you could jumble them behind McCloud and Williams and argue for any order past those two.

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2014, 09:31 AM
Also WR/TEs

http://soconjohn.blogspot.com/2014/07/southern-conference-football-2014.html

I'm with him on the top 4 WRs (I would flip two of them but the names I agree with) and I know the UTC TE is the best of the TEs. He should have included the Mercer TE.

The SoCon doesn't have any serious stars in the league outside of the WCU and Samford WR and the UTC TE at those positions right now. It should get interesting to see who develops because I'm sure someone will turn in a big season who is not even being mentioned and we just don't know who they are yet.

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2014, 10:49 AM
I'm with him on the top 4 WRs (I would flip two of them but the names I agree with) and I know the UTC TE is the best of the TEs. He should have included the Mercer TE.

The SoCon doesn't have any serious stars in the league outside of the WCU and Samford WR and the UTC TE at those positions right now. It should get interesting to see who develops because I'm sure someone will turn in a big season who is not even being mentioned and we just don't know who they are yet.

Furman brought in a couple highly regarded TE recruits this season. Both are 6'4 230+ and, by all accounts, are tremendous athletes. I would expect to see either one or both of them starting for Furman this fall.

Kind of strange, though, not to see a Furman TE on that list. This is the first season in probably 10-15 years where there was not an heir apparent starter at the position. Furman has been marvelously successful developing that position.

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2014, 11:00 AM

Keon Williams should be #2. Williams doesn't have a big, NFL type OL to run behind but he is a big back who runs downhill and has really worked hard this off-season.

That's the only glaring change I would make. The others are all lower tier type backs and it's hard to say one is better than the other yet so you could jumble them behind McCloud and Williams and argue for any order past those two.

With running backs, I think right now it is McCloud and everyone else.

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2014, 11:50 AM
Furman brought in a couple highly regarded TE recruits this season. Both are 6'4 230+ and, by all accounts, are tremendous athletes. I would expect to see either one or both of them starting for Furman this fall.

Kind of strange, though, not to see a Furman TE on that list. This is the first season in probably 10-15 years where there was not an heir apparent starter at the position. Furman has been marvelously successful developing that position.

Just not sure who that will be yet. I'm sure the coaches do. It will be interesting to see who the preseason All-SoCon TEs are by the coaches. My guess is Helms at WCU and Shafaat at UTC.

- - - Updated - - -

With running backs, I think right now it is McCloud and everyone else.

I think McCloud is definitely #1 with a slight gap but Keon Williams is better than people think. If he plays 11 or 12 games, I expect him to run for over 1,000 yards for sure.

citdog
July 21st, 2014, 11:56 AM
At the end of the season the fullbacks from Wofford and The Citadel will be the leading rushers in the Conference and these other fellas will be behind them. Doesn't everyone know that by now?

The Cats
July 21st, 2014, 12:09 PM
At the end of the season the fullbacks from Wofford and The Citadel will be the leading rushers in the Conference and these other fellas will be behind them. Doesn't everyone know that by now?

You're more delusional than usual this year, and starting to sound more and more like chattownmocs with your outlandish boasts.

citdog
July 21st, 2014, 12:15 PM
You're more delusional than usual this year, and starting to sound more and more like chattownmocs with your outlandish boasts.

I'm delusional? Which one of us has won ONE DIVISION I GAME in three years and has dreams of glorious victories in our head?

The Cats
July 21st, 2014, 12:35 PM
I'm delusional? Which one of us has won ONE DIVISION I GAME in three years and has dreams of glorious victories in our head?

You need a new line, I've answered this one in two other threads. Not only are you more delusional this year, maybe you're getting a little senile too.

catamount man
July 21st, 2014, 12:46 PM
You need a new line, I've answered this one in two other threads. Not only are you more delusional this year, maybe you're getting a little senile too.

It's all the Missoula liquor that he hasn't paid for yet.

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2014, 12:56 PM
Just not sure who that will be yet. I'm sure the coaches do. It will be interesting to see who the preseason All-SoCon TEs are by the coaches. My guess is Helms at WCU and Shafaat at UTC.

- - - Updated - - -

I think McCloud is definitely #1 with a slight gap but Keon Williams is better than people think. If he plays 11 or 12 games, I expect him to run for over 1,000 yards for sure.

Ajay Williams and Kedar Bryant. Furman does not have any player with significant playing time at TE on the roster. They even moved a backup QB to TE this offseason (Duncan Fletcher). It is about as open season for playing time as you can get.

Paladins do have the luxury of David Dingess, who is technically listed as a WR. He's really too big to be a receiver, and too small to be a TE. Great pass catcher and blocker that does a lot of yeoman's work in the middle of the field. You go back and watch a lot of Furman's big plays last year, and you will usually see #80 taking out one or two defensive backs.

The lack of experience does not concern me, though. Furman has been extremely good at developing the TE position. I've never done the analysis, but I would wager there aren't many FCS teams that utilize the TE as effectively as Furman does.

PaladinNation
July 21st, 2014, 03:32 PM
It's all the Missoula liquor that he hasn't paid for yet.

Furman is basically starting from scratch at tight end with lots of athletic talent and some size. The position will become a position of strength next season when 3 star commit Riley Gessner joins the team.

I'm surprised that everyone is overlooking Kevin Mall. Mall had a foot injury gained some weight, moved to the o-line is now back at tight end. Highly recruited out of high school. As far as size and ready to play I would put Mall ahead of Fletcher (could be another Colin Anderson).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7HDAIrsJw

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2014, 03:49 PM
Furman is basically starting from scratch at tight end with lots of athletic talent and some size. The position will become a position of strength next season when 3 star commit Riley Gessner joins the team.

I'm surprised that everyone is overlooking Kevin Mall. Mall had a foot injury gained some weight, moved to the o-line is now back at tight end. Highly recruited out of high school. As far as size and ready to play I would put Mall ahead of Fletcher (could be another Colin Anderson).

I absolutely think it is as open a competition for a starting spot as I can remember. Not a lot of experience from any player. I might be wrong, but I'm not sure any of the current roster has any experience at TE in a college game. I think most of their snaps have come either on special teams or at another position.

Fletcher went to my alma mater (though years later). Saw him play a bit in high school. As far as I am aware, he's never played TE, even at the prep level. He's a big kid and good athlete with room to grow, though, so I'm interested to see what he looks like out there. As you note, Furman converted a former QB into an All American TE in Colin Anderson.

walliver
July 21st, 2014, 04:11 PM

Other than Breitenstein, it is rare for Wofford RB's to rank high on the stats. We have 5 or 6 backs who will be splitting the carries. We will likely lead the conference in rushing yards, but no have running backs with stellar yardage.

The Cats
July 21st, 2014, 04:15 PM
Other than Breitenstein, it is rare for Wofford RB's to rank high on the stats. We have 5 or 6 backs who will be splitting the carries. We will likely lead the conference in rushing yards, but no have running backs with stellar yardage.

Please......don't damage citdog's delusions with facts like that.

citdog
July 21st, 2014, 06:13 PM
You need a new line.

You need to win against SOMEONE........ ANYONE........ before you start talking smack.

citdog
July 21st, 2014, 06:18 PM

We ALL got spoiled by the BEAR JEW. It is just amusing to me to be deflecting smack from western Carolina fans. It must REALLY suck to be THEM....

- - - Updated - - -

Please......don't damage citdog's delusions with facts like that.

The only facts that matter are the W's and the L's..........for you WCU folks "W's" are for when you WIN....

chattownmocs
July 21st, 2014, 08:11 PM

Oh Williams is better than Mccloud too. I was just saying the VMI guy isnt even remotely close.

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2014, 08:58 PM

Because of the offense they are in but that does not make them better players. Just means because they had 300 carries and play in that system that they will have 1200 or more yards.

I mean yes EB ran for insane yards but Dane Romero and many others have gone for over 1,000 yards at Wofford. Wofford has always done a good job of having 2 or 3 backs with at least 300 or 400 yards though, because they do so well spreading the ball around and dominating games. I expect them to be much improved this year.

Not hating on them but just saying that I doubt the FB from either school is a better athlete than McCloud or Williams.

Who are going to be their starters this year?

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2014, 09:00 PM
Oh Williams is better than Mccloud too. I was just saying the VMI guy isnt even remotely close.

He's a better next level player for sure. Just because of overall production and durability I have Williams behind him now but it would not shock me if Keon ran for 1300 yards or so and was the SoCon leading rusher.

Smitty
July 23rd, 2014, 06:32 AM
It is nice seeing Western players actually listed in charts now. It was a pleasant surprise to see the #1 ranked WR (with this guys opinion) as well...

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2014, 07:05 AM
He's a better next level player for sure. Just because of overall production and durability I have Williams behind him now but it would not shock me if Keon ran for 1300 yards or so and was the SoCon leading rusher.

Pro prospect is one thing, but top RB in the SoCon is another. Sitting here before the 2014 season, by no realistic measure can one put Williams ahead of McCloud. McCloud has 500 more career yards on the grounds, and a 1,000 yard season.

Durability is a key factor as well. McCloud has played in every single one of Furman's games the last three seasons. That is some kind of durable when you are a feature back in a pro-style offense. Started all but one game last year, and that was because Furman put in Tanner Skogen so he could throw a half back pass against Georgia Southern to score on the first play of the game.

He won't reach Louis Ivory, but another 1,000 yard season would put McCloud in the top 6 or 7 rushers in Furman history all time.

chattownmocs
July 23rd, 2014, 08:37 AM
Dude.

687 yds, 9 tds in 7 games 5.9 ypc 98.1 ypg vs 1092 yds, 5 tds in 14 games, 5.1 ypc 78 ypg

What?

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2014, 09:18 AM
Dude.

687 yds, 9 tds in 7 games 5.9 ypc 98.1 ypg vs 1092 yds, 5 tds in 14 games, 5.1 ypc 78 ypg

What?

Body of work, McCloud gets top billing. He's got numbers no other SoCon back can cite to and he shows up every game.

I can point out the fact that most of Williams' touchdowns were scored against two awful teams (APU and Elon), and Furman played much of the first half with a makeshift OL behind true freshman QBs. At the end of the day, McCloud is a 1,000 yard back. Williams is not.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2014, 09:18 AM
Pro prospect is one thing, but top RB in the SoCon is another. Sitting here before the 2014 season, by no realistic measure can one put Williams ahead of McCloud. McCloud has 500 more career yards on the grounds, and a 1,000 yard season.

Durability is a key factor as well. McCloud has played in every single one of Furman's games the last three seasons. That is some kind of durable when you are a feature back in a pro-style offense. Started all but one game last year, and that was because Furman put in Tanner Skogen so he could throw a half back pass against Georgia Southern to score on the first play of the game.

He won't reach Louis Ivory, but another 1,000 yard season would put McCloud in the top 6 or 7 rushers in Furman history all time.

Oh I'm not saying he should he ahead of McCloud now. I'm just saying because of the type of player he is that if he can stay healthy he could pass McCloud or at least reach his level. I wouldn't project it for sure but just saying it's possible Williams has a big year and is in that same category.

Right now I have McCloud as the best in the SoCon for sure but I'm just saying that Williams has a shot to be really good. He does not belong there yet but saying the potential is there.

Get ready for a long season if you are pulling against Chatty because if things go like they should all the ramblings of Chattown over the years could happen this year, or at least something close to it. It would not shock me if Chatty won 9 or 10 games.

chattownmocs
July 23rd, 2014, 09:25 AM
1000 yards, so what? That means nothing, especially since williams would have had to completely collapse to not get to 1000 even in just 12 games. The only argument is that Williams had a season ending injury last year so maybe he will again.

kdinva
July 23rd, 2014, 09:35 AM
If Derrick Zigler stays healthy, and VMI's O-line performs the way they should, Ziggy will come close to that 1,000 yard season...

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2014, 09:55 AM
Oh I'm not saying he should he ahead of McCloud now. I'm just saying because of the type of player he is that if he can stay healthy he could pass McCloud or at least reach his level. I wouldn't project it for sure but just saying it's possible Williams has a big year and is in that same category.

Right now I have McCloud as the best in the SoCon for sure but I'm just saying that Williams has a shot to be really good. He does not belong there yet but saying the potential is there.

Get ready for a long season if you are pulling against Chatty because if things go like they should all the ramblings of Chattown over the years could happen this year, or at least something close to it. It would not shock me if Chatty won 9 or 10 games.

I don't disagree that Williams is a good back. I think he's the second best back in the conference. He has a chance to be the first team guy at the end of the season. No question. As we sit here today, his body of work is not as impressive as McCloud's.

I expect UTC to be good. I also recognize that we've been hearing about how this is "the year" for UTC going on about four or five seasons now. They still didn't make the playoffs last season in a year when the SoCon was as weak as it has been in many years. Not for want of athletes. UTC has had one of the most athletic teams in the conference for years.

I personally think that their coaching staff shoulders much of the blame. I've been impressed with their ability to elevate UTC from bottom dweller to contender, but I also think UTC steps on its own shoelaces a lot.

I am expecting the conference championship to come down to the last week of the season between UTC and Furman. I think UTC will come into that game with a better record. I think that game could be a great one.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
I don't disagree that Williams is a good back. I think he's the second best back in the conference. He has a chance to be the first team guy at the end of the season. No question. As we sit here today, his body of work is not as impressive as McCloud's.

I expect UTC to be good. I also recognize that we've been hearing about how this is "the year" for UTC going on about four or five seasons now. They still didn't make the playoffs last season in a year when the SoCon was as weak as it has been in many years. Not for want of athletes. UTC has had one of the most athletic teams in the conference for years.

I personally think that their coaching staff shoulders much of the blame. I've been impressed with their ability to elevate UTC from bottom dweller to contender, but I also think UTC steps on its own shoelaces a lot.

I am expecting the conference championship to come down to the last week of the season between UTC and Furman. I think UTC will come into that game with a better record. I think that game could be a great one.

Yes we have been hearing it for years and I have been one of the laughs laughing. I'll say this. If they stay healthy, I think Furman and UTC are both top 15 teams in FCS and the winner of that game should be in the top 8 or so after it.

If UTC does not win the SoCon outright this year and win 9 or more games I don't see it happening in 2015. They didn't lose much outside of 3 solid defensive players. Their entire DL is back (led by Tull) with DT Derrick Lott (4-star UGA transfer) back, All-American TE, good OL, best QB in the SoCon, an up and comer at RB in Williams, and solid WRs. They finally have everything in place to win the SoCon but it just so happens that now Furman has it all in place (outside of no big name TE and losing Dozier). Furman has a lot of talent as well. This is going to be an interesting race. Back in the mid 2000s the matchup was GSU vs App or Wofford for it all but now the 2014 showdown should clearly be Furman and UTC with Samford or Citadel being #3, in my opinion.

Furman has a lot of talent as well. I don't want to downplay you guys. I actually have you picked #1 for a few reasons. While your QB is not as good as Huesman and UTC has a better DL I think Furman's LBs are better, DBs are better, you have some very good young players who will step up, and I think Hannon is going to have a good year. Furman got better as the year went on and Furman was the 2nd best team NDSU played last year next to Kansas State. Furman was definitely a better team than Coastal Carolina and the others. Just ask NDSU people on that one.

Looking at the two rosters they are both loaded with players whom I would label as All-SoCon candidates. Just look at the list of all-star candidates and you see both teams have a lot of talent.

Furman: Reese Hannon, Charles Emert, Hank McCloud, Tank Phillips, Andrej Suttles, Joe Turner, Gary Wilkins, Marcus McMorris, Carl Rider, Reggie Thomas, Jordan Hawkins, Trey Robinson, John Mackey, and then highly touted TE who should be a preseason All-SoCon player next year.

UTC: Corey Levin, Synjen Herren, Faysal Shafaat, Jacob Huesman, Keon Williams, Nick Pollard, Davis Tull, Derrick Lott, Josh Freeman, Zach Rayl, Keionta Davis, and both CBs are redshirt freshmen who are highly touted. Don't be surprised if one of them is a Freshman All-American and preseason 1st team All-SoCon next year.

Long list of legit all-star candidates and we may even see one or two names I did not mention on the coaches' preseason list. My point is that both teams are talented and this should be a very entertaining race!

I went ahead and filled out a full first and second team. Anyone have a major change? I almost put Ziglar of VMI on the 2nd team. I didn't do this on purpose but it looks like every team is represented by two or more players, which shows the talent is spread out after Furman and Chattanooga, who both dominated my list.

2014 PRESEASON ALL-SOCON TEAMS

PRESEASON OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: QB Jacob Huesman, Chattanooga, Jr.
PRESEASON DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: DE Davis Tull, Chattanooga, Sr.

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE
WR Karnorris Benson, Western Carolina, Jr.
WR Karel Hamilton, Samford, Soph.
TE Faysal Shafaat, Chattanooga, Sr.
OL Corey Levin, Chattanooga, Soph.
OL Gunner Bromelow, Samford, Jr.
OL Joe Turner, Furman, Jr.
OL Ty Chamberlin, Wofford, Jr.
OL Charles Emert, Furman, Sr.
QB Jacob Huesman, Chattanooga, Jr.
RB Keon Williams, Chattanooga, Sr.
RB Hank McCloud, Furman, Sr.

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE
DL Davis Tull, Chattanooga, Sr.
DL Gary Wilkins, Furman, Sr.
DL Tarek Odom, Wofford, Sr.
DL Derrick Lott, Chattanooga, Sr.
LB Carl Rider, Furman, Jr.
LB Carl Robinson, The Citadel, Sr.
LB Marcus McMorris, Furman, Sr.
LB Tosin Aguebor, Mercer, Soph.
DB Jaquiski Tartt, Samford, Sr.
DB Ace Clark, Western Carolina, Sr.
DB James Bradberry, Samford, Jr.
DB Reggie Thomas, Furman, Jr.

FIRST TEAM SPECIALISTS
K Warren Handrahan, Samford, Soph.
P Greg Peranich, Samford, Sr.
RS Hank McCloud, Furman, Sr.

SECOND TEAM OFFENSE
WR Andrej Suttles, Furman, Soph.
WR Sam Patterson, VMI, Jr.
TE Robert Brown, Mercer, Soph.
OL Anton Wahrby, Wofford, Soph.
OL Josh Wineberg, Western Carolina, Jr.
OL Andy Marcotte, VMI, Sr.
OL Synjen Herren, Chattanooga, Jr.
OL Tank Phillips, Furman, Sr.
QB John Russ, Mercer, Soph.
tie Reese Hannon, Furman, Jr.
RB Payton Usher, Mercer, Soph.
RB Vinny Miller, The Citadel, Jr.

SECOND TEAM DEFENSE
DL Justin Oxendine, The Citadel, Sr.
DL Jerry Mathis, Samford, Sr.
DL Josh Freeman, Chattanooga, Jr.
DL John Washington, VMI, Sr.
LB Bobby Wilson, Samford, Jr.
LB Cory Magwood, Furman, Jr.
LB Kevin Thomas, Wofford, Sr.
LB Christon Gill, Western Carolina, Sr.
DB Trey Wesley, Samford, Soph.
DB Sema’je Kendall, Chattanooga, Jr.
DB Chris Armfield, Wofford, Soph.
DB Sertonuse Harris, Western Carolina, Jr.

SECOND TEAM SPECIALISTS
K Nick Pollard, Chattanooga, Sr.
P Nick Pollard, Chattanooga, Sr.
RS Tommy Hudson, Chattanooga, Sr.

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2014, 11:49 AM
It will be an interesting season. Furman has a tough slate of games, though I think they should be favored in most and have the majority of their toughest games in Paladin Stadium.

Hopefully this is the year that Bruce Fowler's commitment to playing young players really pays off. Lot of guys on Furman's two deep have a bunch of college snaps under their belts.

I think the Paladin's biggest question mark is on the offensive line. They lose a great player in Dozier, but also had their starting center Eric Thoni dismissed from the team. Those are two big holes to fill, especially when you are looking at an inexperienced player at TE as well. If the Paladins can plug those two holes, I think you'll see a pretty balanced offense and defense. Hannon is not an elite player as yet, but he's a good game manager who makes few unforced errors. Great guy to have in this offense.

My hope is that Furman comes out of the gate swinging this year. Last season we looked timid at times early in the season. This season we have a roster of guys that endured trial by fire, a lot of experience, and a championship. Once Furman gets back to expecting to win instead of hoping to win, I think we'll be a pretty tough opponent. I think you'll know a lot about what Furman will look like in Week 1 against Gardner Webb. Veteran team that beat us last year.