PDA

View Full Version : TSN Announces 2014 Preseason Buck Buchanan Watch List

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2014, 08:40 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_7_10_2014.htm

Can't really argue with many of these guys.

lionsrking2
July 10th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Good to see Harlan Miller getting some recognition ... great player, fine young man, big future!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOw2iMr8cY

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Here are my 20 for each. I have a few changes but not a ton. When I was stacking my board I think the players I'm higher on than most are UNI DT Xavier Williams, PVAMU QB Jerry Lovelocke, NDSU RB John Crockett, and Maine LB Christophe Mulumba.

PAYTON
QB Vernon Adams, Eastern Washington, Jr.
QB Bryan Bennett, Southeastern Louisiana, Sr.
QB Michael Nebrich, Fordham, Sr.
QB John Robertson, Villanova, Jr.
QB Quinn Epperly, Princeton, Sr.
QB Jacob Huesman, Chattanooga, Jr.
QB Jerry Lovelocke, Prairie View A&M, Sr.
QB Jordan Johnson, Montana, Sr.
RB Zach Zenner, South Dakota State, Sr.
RB David Johnson, UNI, Sr.
RB DaMarcus James, Jacksonville State, Sr.
RB John Crockett, North Dakota State, Sr.
RB Martin Ruiz, Youngstown State, Soph.
RB Ross Scheuerman, Lafayette, Sr.
RB Keshaudas Spence, Sacred Heart, Sr.
RB Kristaan Ivory, Cal Poly, Sr.
RB Rob Hollomon, Central Connecticut State, Sr.
WR Cooper Kupp, Eastern Washington, Soph.
WR Kenny Cook, Gardner-Webb, Sr.
TE MyCole Pruitt, Southern Illinois, Sr.

BUCHANAN
DE Zach Hodges, Harvard, Sr.
DE Davis Tull, Chattanooga, Sr.
DE Zack Wagenmann, Montana, Sr.
DE Jonathan Woodard, Central Arkansas, Jr.
DT Xavier Williams, UNI, Sr.
DT O.J. Mau, Gardner-Webb, Jr.
LB Isiah Corbett, Southeastern Louisiana, Sr.
LB Quinn Backus, Coastal Carolina, Sr.
LB Lynden Trail, Norfolk State, Sr.
LB Stephen Hodge, Fordham, Sr.
LB Luke Rhodes, William & Mary, Jr.
LB Christophe Mulumba, Maine, Soph.
LB Nick Sigmon, Liberty, Sr.
LB Tony Bell, UT Martin, Sr.
LB Ronnie Hamlin, Eastern Washington, Sr.
CB Harlan Miller, Southeastern Louisiana, Jr.
CB Tye Smith, Towson, Sr.
S Caleb Schaffitzel, Missouri State, Sr.
S Jaquiski Tartt, Samford, Sr.
S Dean Marlowe, James Madison, Sr.

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2014, 12:00 PM
NDSU #20 Colten Heagle.....yup.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2014, 12:01 PM
about time Heagle got some recognition. Only thing able to stop him was a knee injury.

Towson and Georgia Southern still have nightmares about him.

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2014, 12:09 PM
about time Heagle got some recognition. Only thing able to stop him was a knee injury.

The ONLY reason I did not put him in my 20 is the injury. I know that NDSU likely won't win a 4th title and you won't get two players on the list. I figured I would let Littlejohn, Emanuel, and Heagle play it out and put the top guy on the list. All 3 of them are good players!

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2014, 12:12 PM
The ONLY reason I did not put him in my 20 is the injury. I know that NDSU likely won't win a 4th title and you won't get two players on the list. I figured I would let Littlejohn, Emanuel, and Heagle play it out and put the top guy on the list. All 3 of them are good players!

Hopefully the leftover guys from the championship run can have a senior year that helps cap their career.

Heagle was a sophomore when he tore into GSU in 2011. Hard to believe this team has had such consistent performances from underclassmen.

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2014, 12:13 PM

Agree with this....NDSU's D will always be about the collection of its parts and not an individual. You could realistically toss in Dudzik and many others too.

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Agree with this....NDSU's D will always be about the collection of its parts and not an individual. You could realistically toss in Dudzik and many others too.

And not just him but I think you have a couple of role players from last year who could step in and be impact guys. Someone from NDSU will be on the list and if I had to pick one guy right now it would be Emanuel but I say let them play it out and then pick. If NDSU runs the MVFC and has the top defense, then I would possibly put two of them on the Buchanan.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Cue chattown telling us that Davis Tull is basically Reggie White plus Bruce Smith times Deacon Jones and how he is basically the only person who should be on this list.

Oh yeah, and that NDSU sucks.

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Cue chattown telling us that Davis Tull is basically Reggie White plus Bruce Smith times Deacon Jones and how he is basically the only person who should be on this list.

Didn't Chatty have the best DL in the FCS last year? Might have to go dig up that post war.

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2014, 12:37 PM

Tull is interesting because he's a good athlete and very productive but he is short, poor length, and will have to be an OLB in the NFL. Being a position switch tweener I think the 5th round is the highest he can go, and likely to go 6th or 7th if the draft were today.

He is 6'2, 242, and runs a 4.5 40. He has the measurables to be a very good OLB. He has 9 1/2 inch hands and 31 1/2 inch arms. With his movement skills and athleticism I think he could be a good developmental OLB. If he puts up another SoCon DEF POY type season and runs 4.4s at the combine, he might move into the 4th round.

Professor Chaos
July 10th, 2014, 02:34 PM

Colten Heagle is the reason why Georgia Southern went FBS xthumbsupx

chattownmocs
July 10th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Tull is interesting because he's a good athlete and very productive but he is short, poor length, and will have to be an OLB in the NFL. Being a position switch tweener I think the 5th round is the highest he can go, and likely to go 6th or 7th if the draft were today.

He is 6'2, 242, and runs a 4.5 40. He has the measurables to be a very good OLB. He has 9 1/2 inch hands and 31 1/2 inch arms. With his movement skills and athleticism I think he could be a good developmental OLB. If he puts up another SoCon DEF POY type season and runs 4.4s at the combine, he might move into the 4th round.

4.4s?? Didn't clowney run like a 4.53? I know clowney is bigger at projects at a different position. But they are both DEs in college. You really expect him to run faster than clowney. There is no way you truly believe that. Is this some of those unrealistic expectations so you can put him down after?

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2014, 08:02 PM
4.4s?? Didn't clowney run like a 4.53? I know clowney is bigger at projects at a different position. But they are both DEs in college. You really expect him to run faster than clowney. There is no way you truly believe that. Is this some of those unrealistic expectations so you can put him down after?

Because he lacks premium length to play DE I think he is a position switch and thus would need freak numbers to go higher than the 5th round, maybe late 4th round. I'm not saying he has to run a 4.4 to get drafted but I think he needs to run that to go in the top 100, unless he gets a Senior Bowl invite and completely wreaks havoc in Mobile. If he does that then I could see it happening.

He ran a 4.57 verified 40 at the junior pro day this past spring. He's got a good second gear and good explosion. It's not out of the question that he runs in the 4.48-4.53 range after training and another year of development since the junior pro day.

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Because he lacks premium length to play DE I think he is a position switch and thus would need freak numbers to go higher than the 5th round, maybe late 4th round. I'm not saying he has to run a 4.4 to get drafted but I think he needs to run that to go in the top 100, unless he gets a Senior Bowl invite and completely wreaks havoc in Mobile. If he does that then I could see it happening.

He ran a 4.57 verified 40 at the junior pro day this past spring. He's got a good second gear and good explosion. It's not out of the question that he runs in the 4.48-4.53 range after training and another year of development since the junior pro day.

I used to believe that you didn't know what you were talking about, or at least were an App homer. You seem to be more legit than I previously thought, but, you do realize that not 1 LB, let alone DE ran in the 4.4s at the combine last year right? I think 4.4s is a bit much too ask even for a pure LB type. I think Tull can run a sub 4.6 but there is a big difference between that and sub 4.5.

smallcollegefbfan
July 11th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I think 4.4s is a bit much too ask even for a pure LB type. I think Tull can run a sub 4.6 but there is a big difference between that and sub 4.5.

I am not sure he will run a 4.4 but I would not rule out a high 4.4 or low 4.5 after running a 4.57. I estimated a 4.60 on tape so the 4.57 is close and I think he would get drafted right now. I'm just saying for him to go top 100 with him being a tweener who would project to OLB, he needs to either really light up the combine and have an even better season or he needs to completely dominate the Senior Bowl, or NFLPA Game to put himself higher than the late rounds.

Derrick Lott is your guy with the most update at 6'4, 295 pounds with 5.0 speed. He also had 33 3/8 arms at the junior pro day. It would not surprise me if Lott goes higher but he would have to be healthy. I don't know his medical status yet but I'll be able to tell in the fall pretty quickly where he should go.

The best prospect in the SoCon is Tartt from Samford. He was hurt last year and still played like a draftable player.

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I think tull has the most upside. He may be undersized for a LB but I think he is an athletic freak even for a LB. I have seen flashes of his athleticism that are just crazy. Like leaping straight over running backs that are trying to block him. His motor, intelligence and work effort cannot be questioned either. I know playing LB isn't that mentally tough but being a first team academic all American can't hurt combined with his athleticism either. Can he cover people is the only questing I would have only because he has never had to do it. Covering some of these influence TEs could be tough for someone who has never covered.

smallcollegefbfan
July 11th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I think tull has the most upside. He may be undersized for a LB but I think he is an athletic freak even for a LB. I have seen flashes of his athleticism that are just crazy. Like leaping straight over running backs that are trying to block him. His motor, intelligence and work effort cannot be questioned either. I know playing LB isn't that mentally tough but being a first team academic all American can't hurt combined with his athleticism either. Can he cover people is the only questing I would have only because he has never had to do it. Covering some of these influence TEs could be tough for someone who has never covered.

Tull isn't really small for an OLB. I'm saying he is small for a DE and his length isn't great for either. He's big enough to be a good OLB but I'm just saying if he plays DE this year he will be a position switch and unless he plays OLB in an all-star game and looks very good, there will be a ceiling on how high he could go. Lott is a big DT who runs well with ideal size and speed, plus a good DT will rise more than a good OLB. Tull is a pass rusher but if he can show coverage skills and the ability to move in space well then he certainly could rise more. I'm just saying if the draft were today he would be a 6th or 7th round pick, based on the 3 games I watched and what I'm hearing from my colleagues.

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Tull isn't really small for an OLB. I'm saying he is small for a DE and his length isn't great for either. He's big enough to be a good OLB but I'm just saying if he plays DE this year he will be a position switch and unless he plays OLB in an all-star game and looks very good, there will be a ceiling on how high he could go. Lott is a big DT who runs well with ideal size and speed, plus a good DT will rise more than a good OLB. Tull is a pass rusher but if he can show coverage skills and the ability to move in space well then he certainly could rise more. I'm just saying if the draft were today he would be a 6th or 7th round pick, based on the 3 games I watched and what I'm hearing from my colleagues.

Well Im talking about once they get into the NFL.