PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly Mustangs Football

coover
July 6th, 2014, 03:36 AM
53 days 'til August 28, 2014. Look out New Mexico State Aggies, we're coming to The Crosses and expect to go home happy.

MR. CHICKEN
July 6th, 2014, 07:30 AM
19188......AH LOVE DAT 'TUDE..COOV......."GO PONY EXPRESS"..........xbeerchugx........BRAWK!

Red & Black
July 6th, 2014, 09:50 AM
53 days 'til August 28, 2014. Look out New Mexico State Aggies, we're coming to The Crosses and expect to go home happy.

If you guys have a team along the lines of what you've had the past couple of years, I think you'll win this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpalum
July 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Go Poly!

citdog
July 6th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Saw the Mustangs play last season at Montana. As someone who loves option football y'all have a pretty good version of it. Although I wondered why you didn't just keep handing the ball off to the B-Back who looked like Christian Okoye.

dewey
July 6th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I will be cheering for Cal Poly in that one.

Dewey

bonarae
July 6th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Always for the FCS team!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 6th, 2014, 05:28 PM
NM State is a consistently horrible team and I expect Cal Poly to win that game.

Fox Sports had NMState's game against Abilene Christian on last year and AB took them to the wire and they are transitioning to FCS. NW State's defense looked terrible and I suspect they will have all kinds of trouble stopping Poly's option.

cpalum
July 6th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Saw the Mustangs play last season at Montana. As someone who loves option football y'all have a pretty good version of it. Although I wondered why you didn't just keep handing the ball off to the B-Back who looked like Christian Okoye.

Yep... I agree. I also think we went into prevent D way too early in that one. That loss hurt.

coover
July 7th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the kind words, now only 52 days 'til Cal Poly football, I-10 at I-25.

coover
July 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Saw the Mustangs play last season at Montana. As someone who loves option football y'all have a pretty good version of it. Although I wondered why you didn't just keep handing the ball off to the B-Back who looked like Christian Okoye.I believe you are talking about Kristan Ivory, our leading rusher last year on the team that led all of Division I (including FBS) in rushing. I believe he was hurt that game, and only played part time after that. He will be back.

Poly has about half their starters back from last season, and has some very promising players filling most of the positions left open by graduation. In addition, last year we used four QBs during the year because of injury. One left because he knew he probably would not start, a second because his injury has not and will not allow him to continue, but the other two, both Juniors are more than competent field generals, both with lots of experience from last year, both showing that they can march the team down the field and score. While Chris Brown (6-2, 198) was chosen as the #1 guy during the spring, I expect a battle to ensue for the job this fall. It should be interesting to see who wins. Brown is probably the best athlete on the team, but has shown a certain recklessness. The other, Dano
Graves, is more conservative and takes care not to make mistakes. He also led his High School team to the California State Championship and won the 2010 "Maxpreps Player of the Year" award, not a small achievement. His problem is his size as he is listed at 5-10 and 180. Brown is the better passer. Graves the better ball handler. Either should make the offense roll and Poly will be very dangerous.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2014, 03:05 PM
I think I've asked this before, but does Poly still run the strict triple option offense? Or have they loosened up after the previous head coach went to Army?

UNDColorado
July 7th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I am hoping you take NMSU to the woodshed as well. Very happy that Poly is not on UND's schedule this year. (That's a compliment)

slostang
July 7th, 2014, 04:11 PM
I think I've asked this before, but does Poly still run the strict triple option offense? Or have they loosened up after the previous head coach went to Army?
Their base offense is still the triple option but they are mixing in more spread option. QB last year was only under center about 50% of the snaps.

Sader87
July 7th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Lest we forget, Yale beat Cal-Poly last year....boola, boola....boola, boola!!!

bonarae
July 7th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Lest we forget, Yale beat Cal-Poly last year....boola, boola....boola, boola!!!

Cal Poly was at their peak when Yale beat them. They never recovered from that sudden humiliation last year.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Their base offense is still the triple option but they are mixing in more spread option. QB last year was only under center about 50% of the snaps.

How about the defense? Do they still run that weird formation as their base D?

slostang
July 8th, 2014, 11:08 AM
How about the defense? Do they still run that weird formation as their base D?
No they do not run the very effective double eagle flex defense anymore. They run a 4-3.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2014, 11:14 AM
No they do not run the very effective double eagle flex defense anymore. They run a 4-3.

It was very effective at wasting a week of the coaches' and players' time having to prepare for a defensive scheme that no one runs.

Glad to hear they run a normal scheme now.

cpalum
July 8th, 2014, 12:09 PM
It was very effective at wasting a week of the coaches' and players' time having to prepare for a defensive scheme that no one runs.

Glad to hear they run a normal scheme now.

Sounds like the Triple Option xthumbsupx...I dont think they have run that defense since Rich Ellerson left for Army...maybe Walsh ran it a bit in 2009.

Catatonic
July 8th, 2014, 12:33 PM
NM State is a consistently horrible team and I expect Cal Poly to win that game.

Fox Sports had NMState's game against Abilene Christian on last year and AB took them to the wire and they are transitioning to FCS. NW State's defense looked terrible and I suspect they will have all kinds of trouble stopping Poly's option.

Virtually every player on the field for ACU was recruited to play D2. We redshirted most of our first FCS recruiting class. We led going into the fourth quarter and ended the ball game with us on their six yard line for what would have given us the win. I would think an above average FCS team would be able to beat NMSU. I would love to play them again in a couple of years.

bulldog10jw
July 8th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Cal Poly was at their peak when Yale beat them. They never recovered from that sudden humiliation last year.

Since when is it humiliating to lose to Yale?

cpalum
July 8th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Since when is it humiliating to lose to Yale?

From my perspective the humiliation was more about how Cal Poly played in that game versus losing to Yale. It was awesome to have a school with the history and reputation that Yale has fly all the way out to play in SLO. That was a must see game for me last year. Yale had some very talented players on that squad. Cal Poly just didn't play with the level of discipline that I have come to expect from a Cal Poly team and that was disappointing.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Sounds like the Triple Option xthumbsupx...I dont think they have run that defense since Rich Ellerson left for Army...maybe Walsh ran it a bit in 2009.

Good to hear. All the better for Big Sky coaching staffs and players.

Is Ellerson out now at Army? That was his dream job, am I right?

cpalum
July 8th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Good to hear. All the better for Big Sky coaching staffs and players.

Is Ellerson out now at Army? That was his dream job, am I right?

Yep they let him go last year. I believe his son is still playing for Army this year. When he was hired by Army he certainly said it was his dream job. He did some amazing things at Cal Poly...he basically started with a program that was pretty average and turned them into a solid FCS program. Not sure where he would land if he was hired on somewhere?

coover
July 9th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Lest we forget, Yale beat Cal-Poly last year....boola, boola....boola, boola!!!Yes, we remember. Yale played very well and Poly played like they had not prepared for the game. I suppose the team and the Coaching Staff know what happened. As someone who follows the team (from a distance of about 300 miles from San Luis Obispo), I'll probably never know what actually happened. By the way, I have degrees from both Poly and Yale, but my undergraduate school is the school I root for. I loved my time in New Haven, but Poly is the school I love.

It is still Tuesday on the West Coast so there are 51 days until we meet New Mexico State. One guy on the Cal Poly Sports Blog put it this way ... "51 days to 105 degrees ...at night." Thanks, Malibu.

bulldog10jw
July 9th, 2014, 11:21 AM
From my perspective the humiliation was more about how Cal Poly played in that game versus losing to Yale. It was awesome to have a school with the history and reputation that Yale has fly all the way out to play in SLO. That was a must see game for me last year. Yale had some very talented players on that squad. Cal Poly just didn't play with the level of discipline that I have come to expect from a Cal Poly team and that was disappointing.

I was at the game. Yale played pretty well, especially in the 4th quarter, but you are correct. Too many turnovers and even worse, bad penalties at the wrong time for Cal Poly. I hope we play again someday.

By the way, SLO is a great college town. I had a great time. and the skirts the waitresses wore at, is it Paddy McGregors, were quite wonderful.

cpalum
July 9th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I was at the game. Yale played pretty well, especially in the 4th quarter, but you are correct. Too many turnovers and even worse, bad penalties at the wrong time for Cal Poly. I hope we play again someday.

By the way, SLO is a great college town. I had a great time. and the skirts the waitresses wore at, is it Paddy McGregors, were quite wonderful.

Glad you enjoyed it bulldog :)

I drove up from San Diego with my son and my niece. The pregame tailgate was tons of fun, all kinds of Yale alumni were in attendance. Yale fans were all class, come back anytime.

Ironic...my family and I were at Pappy McGregors as well xbeerchugx

bulldog10jw
July 9th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Glad you enjoyed it bulldog :)

I drove up from San Diego with my son and my niece. The pregame tailgate was tons of fun, all kinds of Yale alumni were in attendance. Yale fans were all class, come back anytime.

Ironic...my family and I were at Pappy McGregors as well xbeerchugx

I drove over with my wife from the Phoenix area, stopped to pick up a buddy in Riverside, CA and drove up on Thurs.

Who knows. Maybe we saw each other. I talked with a lot of Cal Poly fans. Some great people.

There is nothing like a college town with all those co-eds walking around in short shorts to make a guy feel young. xnodx

coover
July 9th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Only 50 days remain until the collision at Aggie Memorial Stadium, I-10 at the I-25.

Will New Mexico State be ready for the Triple Option? How much triple option will Cal Poly run if Chris Brown is at QB? If New Mexico State prepares for a Chris Brown offense, what will happen if Dano Graves enters the game? Frankly, I think it all depends on how the NMSU defense is prepared. Poly will be ready.

darell1976
July 9th, 2014, 10:38 PM
I wish Cal Poly good luck on the season, I can't wait until UND plays you guys again, the games have always been pretty good contests.

coover
July 9th, 2014, 11:05 PM
I wish Cal Poly good luck on the season, I can't wait until UND plays you guys again, the games have always been pretty good contests.And I wish North Dakota well. I know the coaching staff there works their butts off to get a good team on the field, and we do like playing you. Unfortunately the Big Sky schedulers haven't placed you on our schedule this year and last. But that is the Big Sky ... too many teams to let you play everyone every year. We haven't played Southern Utah the last two years, but they're back on our schedule this year. My father was born in North Dakota, so I think fondly of your state. I do hope that you do well. I see that you are playing San Jose State on the same date that we play New Mexico State and that the game will also be on ESPN3 ... I'll try to catch the game after the Poly game is over. It will be a tough one for your guys, though I have no idea how good SJS is this year ... they seem to be up and down. But it is still FBS vs. FCS and they will be favored. Hope you win.

coover
July 10th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Ah, July 10 -- exactly 7 weeks until the cleats tear up the turf at Aggie Memorial Stadium, only 45 miles down I-10 to the Mexican border. Ole!

darell1976
July 10th, 2014, 09:07 AM
And I wish North Dakota well. I know the coaching staff there works their butts off to get a good team on the field, and we do like playing you. Unfortunately the Big Sky schedulers haven't placed you on our schedule this year and last. But that is the Big Sky ... too many teams to let you play everyone every year. We haven't played Southern Utah the last two years, but they're back on our schedule this year. My father was born in North Dakota, so I think fondly of your state. I do hope that you do well. I see that you are playing San Jose State on the same date that we play New Mexico State and that the game will also be on ESPN3 ... I'll try to catch the game after the Poly game is over. It will be a tough one for your guys, though I have no idea how good SJS is this year ... they seem to be up and down. But it is still FBS vs. FCS and they will be favored. Hope you win.

Bubba is working his butt off trying to get UND out of the big giant hole Mussman left the team in. Its back to basics of what made UND successful in DII with recruiting in the midwest not the southwest or west coast, and get back to the running game not this aerial attack that UND is not known for. San Jose St will be a good test of where this team is at now after the offseason but the road to the playoffs for us is not going to be this year, but maybe next year or the year after. Its rebuilding time, and if UND can get to .500 this year in conference play, that will be a hell of an improvement. UND is playing Weber State for the first time ever this season, and has Cal Poly next year at your place as the conference finale, it is the downfall of a huge conference, not playing everyone, 2016 UND doesn't have Montana and Eastern Washington on the schedule, so that will be different.

coover
July 10th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Bubba is working his butt off trying to get UND out of the big giant hole Mussman left the team in. Its back to basics of what made UND successful in DII with recruiting in the midwest not the southwest or west coast, and get back to the running game not this aerial attack that UND is not known for. San Jose St will be a good test of where this team is at now after the offseason but the road to the playoffs for us is not going to be this year, but maybe next year or the year after. Its rebuilding time, and if UND can get to .500 this year in conference play, that will be a hell of an improvement. UND is playing Weber State for the first time ever this season, and has Cal Poly next year at your place as the conference finale, it is the downfall of a huge conference, not playing everyone, 2016 UND doesn't have Montana and Eastern Washington on the schedule, so that will be different.I do think that keeping your recruiting emphasis in the Midwest is an excellent idea. The Midwest is full of talent and I think you have a better chance of actually getting a Midwesterner player to come to Grand Forks than a player from other areas. In fact, I would think that the major portion of your recruiting would be in North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota. Parents of those players could easily get to most home games, and that is a big recruiting point. And it is costly to recruit in places like California or Texas, where there are excellent FCS type players available, but unlikely to choose North Dakota.

As I said previously, I hope you do well. I see you have Weber State at home. Evidently, they've not seen or experienced Alerus, which should give your guys a big advantage. By the way, I think you have hired a good one in Schweigert.

darell1976
July 10th, 2014, 11:44 PM
I do think that keeping your recruiting emphasis in the Midwest is an excellent idea. The Midwest is full of talent and I think you have a better chance of actually getting a Midwesterner player to come to Grand Forks than a player from other areas. In fact, I would think that the major portion of your recruiting would be in North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota. Parents of those players could easily get to most home games, and that is a big recruiting point. And it is costly to recruit in places like California or Texas, where there are excellent FCS type players available, but unlikely to choose North Dakota.

As I said previously, I hope you do well. I see you have Weber State at home. Evidently, they've not seen or experienced Alerus, which should give your guys a big advantage. By the way, I think you have hired a good one in Schweigert.

I think Bubba will do well, he did great as the DC here, and still has many contacts around here and the Twin Cities for recruiting so that should give us some big needed help. Mussman sure left this team a mess, no running attack, a bad defense, but worst of all a poor work ethic. There were games last year where UND was getting blown out but yet players were goofing around on the sidelines. Bubba isn't going to stand for that crap. Either you work hard, or get out...and some players left knowing this. It will be nice to see a new team for UND in Weber State. UND knows all to well about their basketball team losing in back to back years in the conference tournament so now its the gridiron's turn.

coover
July 13th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Well, here it is Sunday, July 13 ... only 46 days until Cal Poly Football in Las Cruces, Mejico Nuevo.

coover
July 14th, 2014, 06:34 PM
We are now down to 45 days to this interesting contest. Cal Poly will go into the game with a good, but unpredictable offense, one that should have no problem scoring, and a defense even better than the outstanding defense they played last year. Poly should field an outstanding FCS squad.

Anyone have any information on what to expect from NMSU?

Red & Black
July 14th, 2014, 09:57 PM
We are now down to 45 days to this interesting contest. Cal Poly will go into the game with a good, but unpredictable offense, one that should have no problem scoring, and a defense even better than the outstanding defense they played last year. Poly should field an outstanding FCS squad.

Anyone have any information on what to expect from NMSU?

NMSU...FBS in name only. I don't expect much from them at all.

RabidRabbit
July 15th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Good luck to the 'Stangs vs Aggies. Hope Cal Poly claims another FBS skin.

The better gage for both programs will be the following week between SDSU/Poly. This has been a great, and challenging series between the Jacks and the Stangs. Both teams really need to the W to stake a wild card spot if don't win their respective conferences' auto-bid.

tomq04
July 15th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Won't SDSU have a darn good shot at taking the conference this year?

RabidRabbit
July 15th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Return the leading QB, TE, WR, and RB in the MVFC. If the O-line jells well, then yes, Jacks should have a good shot. Better than last year. Downside is having to play @ UNI and @ NDSU, places where Jacks have had limited success over their long history (>100 game vs NDSU, and > 50 game vs UNI). UNI/NDS are likely to be picked above Jacks in pre-season poll.

slostang
July 15th, 2014, 08:47 PM

The better gage for both programs will be the following week between SDSU/Poly. This has been a great, and challenging series between the Jacks and the Stangs. Both teams really need to the W to stake a wild card spot if don't win their respective conferences' auto-bid.I always look forward to playing SDSU. Great program with awesome fans. It is always a physical game with I think respect from each side.

The Jacks look loaded this year and I really feel the winner of this game could makes some noise in this year's playoffs.

I am also impressed and a little jealous with all the new and soon to be new facilities the Jacks are building. The MVFC better look out.

Best of luck to the Jacks this season. Maybe we might meet again in December.

coover
July 15th, 2014, 08:50 PM

The better gage for both programs will be the following week between SDSU/Poly. This has been a great, and challenging series between the Jacks and the Stangs. Both teams really need to the W to stake a wild card spot if don't win their respective conferences' auto-bid.I do agree that South Dakota State should be an outstanding team this year. From what I've heard, they are certainly top 10 FCS and perhaps top 5. They certainly have a very good shot of getting into the playoffs, and perhaps going all the way. I do not, however, agree that both teams need to win this game. A close game between two very good teams will be noted by those that make the playoff decision. A 31 - 28 game will not eliminate the loser.

The New Mexico State game will give us a great indication of the nature of this years Cal Poly team and, if Poly wins, the South Dakota game will tell us whether or not Poly actually has a chance to be a playoff team. I suspect that you will probably give our defense a greater test than New Mexico State, and, since you will have seen our offense in the NMSU game, give us a better indication of how well our offensive schemes will go later in the season. The Jackrabbit game will really show how well we will go ... but I suspect that our Coaches and Players are not looking at SDSU yet ... in fact, they won't spend a second worrying about the Jackrabbit game until after the NMSU game is over.

Best of luck to the Jackrabbits this year. We have always enjoyed playing you and look forward to playing you again in future years.

44 days until the Aggie Mustang collision. It will be big!

coover
July 16th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Previous posts in this thread have, mostly, been that New Mexico State will have a bad FBS team. On a similar thread at http://calpolymustangs.yuku.com , more than one poster has mentioned that New Mexico State, while FBS, does not get covered much by the National press which ignores lower level FBS teams, covering, for the most part, the top 25 or35 FBS teams only. Because of this, we really do not know much about them. Last year, Cal Poly had two FBS opponents, Colorado State and Fresno State. It was assumed by most that they, too, were not good FBS squads and that Cal Poly had a fairly good chance against them. The assumption was found not to be true, and checking last years records for those two teams will show that both were much better than expected. Fresno came out and literally destroyed Poly's defense in the first half. While the coaches were able to make some changes in the 2nd half and Poly was able to almost come back (the key word here being "almost"), Fresno had no problem winning. Colorado State was a bit different. Poly kept it close for a while, but was unable to hang on to a strong Colorado State team.

The point I'm trying to make here is that while we can and should be optimistic, we really do not know what New Mexico State has this year. They may have one of their best teams in years, and if that is the case, number of scholarships may make the difference. I hope not and am still optimistic that Poly will have a good enough team to win, but we really won't know until August 28.

43 days remain until the clash of the NMSU Aggies and the Cal Poly Mustangs. We wait!

MplsBison
July 16th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Fresno was the second highest ranked G5 team last season, behind UCF and ended up ranked #20 in the final BCS standings. I don't think any FCS team should have expected to beat them.

The MWC is a good football conference. You'd have a tough game with any team.

New Mexico State, on the other hand, is in the Sun Belt. That's a different story.

coover
July 18th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Only 41 days remain until the Mustangs clash with the Aggies in Las Cruces.

The Route from SLO to Las Cruces?

South Hwy 101

Take Shortcut Hwy 154 South East to Santa Barbara

South on Hwy 101

East on Ventura Freeway 134

Continue East on I -210 (becomes CA 210)

East on I-10 to Las Cruces ... about 950 miles total one way.

Just wondering if anyone intends to drive and if they would choose to pick up passengers on the way? I, for one, would love to be one of those passengers. Proper compensation could be worked out for the ride. I live in the San Bernardino area and would be picked up/ dropped off near there.

coover
July 22nd, 2014, 03:53 PM
only 5 weeks and 2 days 'til Cal Poly Football.

McNeese72
July 22nd, 2014, 08:14 PM
Good luck this season.

I was going through some of my photos from McNeese's 2010 season to reprocess them to put them up on Facebook for Throwback Thursday posts and I ran across this photo. Do you know any of these guys that tailgated with us? We enjoyed tailgating with them. Too bad we didn't give you guys a decent game.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3852/14534923280_270469fbc6_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/o9phiw)tbt_2010_cp10tgbanner2 (https://flic.kr/p/o9phiw) by mcneese72 (https://www.flickr.com/people//), on Flickr

slostang
July 22nd, 2014, 09:20 PM
Good luck this season.

I was going through some of my photos from McNeese's 2010 season to reprocess them to put them up on Facebook for Throwback Thursday posts and I ran across this photo. Do you know any of these guys that tailgated with us? We enjoyed tailgating with them. Too bad we didn't give you guys a decent game.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3852/14534923280_270469fbc6_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/o9phiw)tbt_2010_cp10tgbanner2 (https://flic.kr/p/o9phiw) by mcneese72 (https://www.flickr.com/people//), on Flickr
Tim, Bill, Jay, Marilyn and Donna.

coover
July 23rd, 2014, 08:16 PM
Tim, Bill, Jay, Marilyn and Donna.Maybe they'll all be in Las Cruces 36 days from now on August 28. Go Mustangs.

Mr. Tibbs
July 24th, 2014, 02:34 PM
What will CP be bringing back this season? As a Jacks fan, I can't wait for this game! It will be a great measuring stick for both teams early, and it will also be one of the best OOC teams to come Coughlin in three years (save SELA). Hopefully the weather will be comfortable and the fans will get to enjoy two playoff caliber teams play what I expect to be a very physical game.

slostang
July 24th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Always look forward to playing the Jacks. Good program with great fans.

coover
July 26th, 2014, 05:37 PM
What will CP be bringing back this season? As a Jacks fan, I can't wait for this game! It will be a great measuring stick for both teams early, and it will also be one of the best OOC teams to come Coughlin in three years (save SELA). Hopefully the weather will be comfortable and the fans will get to enjoy two playoff caliber teams play what I expect to be a very physical game.From what I know about this years Mustang team, you will see a physical and very tough defense, with excellent linebackers and hard rushing linemen.

Offensively, we'll rush, and rush, and rush, with an occasional throw, both long and short. That said, our expected 1st team QB is a bit of a gambler with great athletic skill with a decent arm, so your defense will have to adjust to expect anything to happen. We run the Triple Option Offense, so the actual play is never decided before it is run. On any play the QB can run, pass, handoff or pitch the ball. He decides while the play is being run. However, in the last couple of years, we have added the shotgun to the offense, so watch for that, too. We also have a 2nd string QB who may get quite a bit play. He is probably our best ball handler, and if he is in, expect lots and lots of runs, while occasionally he will throw short passes, completing most for decent yardage.

It will not be easy for your defense to prepare for the Mustangs as there offense is so unpredictable.

I know, however, that the Jacks are a very good team this year, probably a playoff team and that the game will certainly be one of the most difficult for us this year. I'll be honest and say that I do not know if we can beat you. But I do know that we'll certainly try to do so. I'll know better after I see the Mustangs against NMSU and SDSU against Missouri, though it may be difficult to tell how strong you will be against the Mustangs watching that game. It should be a heck of a game.

33 days 'til Mustang Football

coover
July 28th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Exactly one month (31 days) until Mustang Hooves tear up New Mexican State University turf. Here we come Aggies!

coover
July 31st, 2014, 03:37 PM
News from the San Luis Obispo Tribune at the beginning of Fall Workouts ...

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/07/30/3174617/running-back-secondardy-are-primary.html?sp=/99/224/

Apparently, there is still a QB battle for number 1 ... two different types of QBs with different abilities ... both considered as very, very good. The coaching staff believes that whoever wins the start, the offense will move.

At least one of the Running Back Vacancies will be filled with one of the two outstanding, highly recruited by both FCS and FBS teams, incoming Freshman Recruits.

Defensive Backfield might be a concern, but there are excellent candidates available.

My estimation ... Poly will be a very, very good team, better than some preseason prognostications.

28 days before the clash of the Mighty Mustangs and the Aggies of New Mexico State.

coover
August 2nd, 2014, 01:49 AM
Nice article on Cal Poly Linebacker Nick Dzubnar ...

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/08/01/3177944/dzubnar-anchors-the-cal-poly-defense.html?sp=/99/224/

27 days to wait for Cal Poly Football.

coover
August 2nd, 2014, 06:21 PM
86 players reported to camp in San Luis Obispo on the first day of practice ... With 61 returning players, an additional 25 were added and they include 19 Freshmen and 5 Transfers. And yes, I realize that 19 and 5 do not add up to 25. That number is from an article in the San Luis Obispo Tribune and I assume that it is, somehow, correct.

Read the article yourself at ... http://www.ksby.com/news/cal-poly-football-opens-fall-camp-early/

Twenty Six days remain before we will be able to see how those 86 players in action against FBS New Mexico State University, a team that almost has as many scholarships as Cal Poly has players. It should be a very interesting game.

coover
August 7th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Grayshirt Freshman Fullback gets chance, other Cal Poly Football News ....

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/08/06/3184771/cal-poly-fullback-happy-to-get.html?sp=/99/224/

Only three more weeks to wait for Cal Poly Football (August 28 vs. New Mexico State at Las Cruces)

coover
August 9th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Your Day in Las Cruces and at the stadium ...

Only 19 days remain until the Mustangs and the Aggies of New Mexico State crash into each other on the Hybrid Bermuda at Aggie Memorial Stadium in Las Cruces. The bowl shaped stadium, with it's field dug below ground level, has 30343 seats, though they have had as many as 32993 in the facility (9-26-98 versus UTEP). However, attendance is rarely that good. The stadium opened in 1978 and since then, they have only had 22 games with attendance above 24137. Against Oregon State in 2001, they had only 27238.

Las Cruces is a fairly large area, with a population of just over 100000. There is no "downtown", but the majority of stores and businesses are on Telshore Blvd (runs north and south) or Lohman Ave (runs east and west).

Many Las Cruces citizens work at the White Sands Test Facility and the White Sands Missile Range. Spaceport America is only 45 miles north of Las Cruces, and Virgin Galactic is headquartered there, so I would guess that there should be many Cal Poly Alums from the area at the game.

The record high temperature for Las Cruces in August is 104 degrees and for September 100 degrees, while the average high is 92 in August and 88 in September, so, if you go, expect to see a 90 degree day. Average low is 67 for August and 60 for September, so expect a cool evening at the game. You will probably need a jacket.

slostang
August 9th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Hey coov, no hybrid Bermuda this season. The Mustangs will break in NMSU's new synthetic field that is scheduled to completed August 25th, only three days before the game on the 28th.

coover
August 10th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Story on Cal Poly's preparation for the season with photographs. #2 is Dano Graves and #9 is Chris Brown, the two major QB candidates ... The author of the story is a San Luis Obispo area sports blogger, not with the local newspaper or Television Station, though he is highly respected.

http://www.fansmanship.com/cal-poly-football-continues-to-prepare/

18 days until the collision in Las Cruces.

Theee Catrabbit
August 10th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I do see the Cal Poly game as a must win for the Jacks. A last minute problem scheduling saddled us with a non-counter on our schedule. With Missouri(road), NDSU(road), UNI(road) and Cal Poly on the docket......4 losses would kill playoff hopes. That being said I do enjoy games against Cal Poly. Good luck to them!

coover
August 10th, 2014, 11:57 PM
I do see the Cal Poly game as a must win for the Jacks. A last minute problem scheduling saddled us with a non-counter on our schedule. With Missouri(road), NDSU(road), UNI(road) and Cal Poly on the docket......4 losses would kill playoff hopes. That being said I do enjoy games against Cal Poly. Good luck to them!We won't give you an easy win, but your Jackrabbits are, apparently, very, very good this year. You will probably go into the game as favorites, perhaps heavy favorites, depending upon the results of your game with Missouri and ours with New Mexico State. I hope, for your sake, that UM doesn't go into your game intending to embarrass and ends up hurting some of your best players ... that is always a possibility when a strong FBS squad goes against a strong FCS squad, because they are as much afraid of you as you are of them, not afraid of getting beaten, they won't believe that is possible (thiney're wrong, of course ... FCS squads have beaten some of the better FBS squads in the last few years. It is rare, but it has been done). Now Cal Poly's situation against New Mexico State is not much different. The Aggies know they can be beaten by the Mustangs. They will be very aggressive and the chance if injury can be very high for Poly, too.

So I wish you well in your game with Missouri and then after the Poly game. But we'll becoming after you in Brookings. You may win, we may win, and I hope that the relationship between our schools remains as good as it has been and is now. Best of luck this year ... except against the Mustangs.

By the way ... 4 losses against the teams mentioned above leaves you at 8 - 4 and would qualify you for consideration for the playoffs, and, I suspect, those good folks that actually make those selections would realize the quality of those to whom you lost, and select your guys. I think you will be in the playoffs regardless of whether or not you lose to Cal Poly. Perhaps we'll meet again ... this season. Go Jacks! Go Mustangs!

citdog
August 11th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Cal Poly players, including Ivory, arrested for robbing a Frat House.

http://calcoastnews.com/2014/08/cal-poly-football-players-rob-frat-house/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

tomq04
August 11th, 2014, 03:54 PM
That's going to be a problem...

bonarae
August 11th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Uh oh... some of the arrested players are potential starters for the Mustangs. We'll see if how long they'll be suspended by Walsh and co.

xsmhx

slostang
August 11th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Not a great day for Cal Poly football.

dudeitsaid
August 11th, 2014, 11:57 PM

Sorry for your school and team. These situations just SUCK! Talk about a blow to the gut. It's tough enough to lose a key player to injury, so much more painful to a mindless act. I hope some of your other players can step up into those gaps and give you guys the season you deserve. I'd love to see Cal Poly continue to be a strong player in the Big Sky, and really see the H/H with UNI as a recognition of the pedigree your program has established.

Bisonator
August 12th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Know the feeling. Good luck this season man.

coover
August 13th, 2014, 02:50 AM
This is a terrible blow to the University and it's supporters. One of the players would probably be All Conference, perhaps even All American.

At this time all 5 have been taken off the roster. When Coach Walsh was asked what he was going to do he said he was going to do a lot of coaching with their replacements. "Coach like h...", I think, was what he actually said.

Only one player was actually involved with the robbery. There isn't much information on how the other 4 fit in, but it may be that they were in the so-called "get-away" car. That was the report I heard this evening on the Los Angeles NBC station, but I have to actually wonder about that because beyond the one that allegedly did the armed robbery, two of the others were charged with robbery and two were charged with conspiracy to rob. With 4 players in the car, why the different charges?

This will probably change the season somewhat. Actually, Poly has some Freshmen that probably would have red-shirted that may be able to step in, though they probably will make more mistakes, and some equally talented upper-classmen that will perform well.

On the Cal Poly fan site, several guys have called for Coach Walsh's head. They want him fired immediately. But it is the same guys who have been asking for a Coaching change for quite awhile. Their previous reason ... not enough passing, the use of the Triple Option offense, etc. I believe the University will conduct an honest investigation into this matter and will determine if the culture of the coaching staff has brought in the wrong athletes. And if they find it is so, they will fire Walsh. But if they do not make such a finding, Walsh will continue as Cal Poly Coach, as well he should.

I am really embarrassed about this. It hurts my school and it hurts me.

Only 15 days until Cal Poly football.

coover
August 14th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Team response to the arrest of 5 members ...

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/08/13/3195129/cal-polys-dzubnar-speaks-for-football.html?sp=/99/224/

Only two weeks until the Mustangs meet up with New Mexico State ...

coover
August 17th, 2014, 10:34 PM
True Freshmen, given a chance to make team without redshirting to replace suspended starters, impress in scrimmage ,,,,

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/08/17/3199658/true-freshman-others-emerge-in.html

tomq04
August 18th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Here's to hoping for a Cinderella story at this point, where some backups really step up and fill the void. Several clients went to Cal Poly, I like pulling for you guys.

coover
August 20th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Cal Poly has named it's Captains for the 2014 Season (and 2015 game in Frisco). They are:

Linebacker Nick Dzubnar

Fullback Brandon Howe

Defensive Tackle Chris Lawrence

Slotback Kenny Mitchell

Only 8 days remain before the first game at New Mexico State. It will be streamed live on ESPN3.

SDFS
August 20th, 2014, 06:52 PM
This is a terrible blow to the University and it's supporters. One of the players would probably be All Conference, perhaps even All American.

At this time all 5 have been taken off the roster. When Coach Walsh was asked what he was going to do he said he was going to do a lot of coaching with their replacements. "Coach like h...", I think, was what he actually said.

Only one player was actually involved with the robbery. There isn't much information on how the other 4 fit in, but it may be that they were in the so-called "get-away" car. That was the report I heard this evening on the Los Angeles NBC station, but I have to actually wonder about that because beyond the one that allegedly did the armed robbery, two of the others were charged with robbery and two were charged with conspiracy to rob. With 4 players in the car, why the different charges?

This will probably change the season somewhat. Actually, Poly has some Freshmen that probably would have red-shirted that may be able to step in, though they probably will make more mistakes, and some equally talented upper-classmen that will perform well.

On the Cal Poly fan site, several guys have called for Coach Walsh's head. They want him fired immediately. But it is the same guys who have been asking for a Coaching change for quite awhile. Their previous reason ... not enough passing, the use of the Triple Option offense, etc. I believe the University will conduct an honest investigation into this matter and will determine if the culture of the coaching staff has brought in the wrong athletes. And if they find it is so, they will fire Walsh. But if they do not make such a finding, Walsh will continue as Cal Poly Coach, as well he should.

I am really embarrassed about this. It hurts my school and it hurts me.

Only 15 days until Cal Poly football.

Best of luck to all Poly fans this season it is never fun dealing with this type of issue. I really respect how the school is handling this issue and I expect a quick recovery.

coover
August 20th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Best of luck to all Poly fans this season it is never fun dealing with this type of issue. I really respect how the school is handling this issue and I expect a quick recovery.Thanks, SDFS. It is really appreciated.

Of course, at this time, nobody really knows how the issue has really affected the team and how they'll react. I guess we'll see on the 28th. Additionally, there is some speculation that 3 of the players will not be charged (they were not at the location of the crime when it took place) and may be allowed to return to the team. However, I suspect that even if they were cleared even today, they would probably not be able to play next Thursday. Maybe against South Dakota State the next week, but not against New Mexico State.

coover
August 23rd, 2014, 01:35 AM
Bad news for the Cal Poly 5 ... all have now been officially charged with various crimes for off campus robbery two weeks ago.

But the team seems ready to go without them. Talent that the coaches did not intend to use ... freshmen athletes ... have entered the equation and the team looks very, very good. Team morale is very high and there is much optimism regarding this season.

Cal Poly will be on the field at New Mexico State playing their first game of the season in less than 6 days from now. Go Mustangs!

coover
August 23rd, 2014, 04:00 PM
With the beginning of the Collegiate Football Season today (Eastern Washington vs. Sam Houston State), there are only 5 days to wait for Cal Poly Football.

It will be very interesting to see how the team reacts to the loss of 5 of their mates because of stupidity. That, of course, should never happen at a school rated so highly academically. Players lost because of grades would not be unusual, but Cal Poly does not accept dummies because they can play football. It is, of course, difficult to determine whether or not a player is capable of horrible crime unless he has had a previous history of such, and none of these players had such history.

So the game Thursday, will tell us whether or not they will be a great team, a good team, an average team, or a bad team this year. You should watch. ESPN3 will televise the game. Thursday, August 28, 5 PM Pacific, 8 PM Eastern.

coover
August 27th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Having already won the Fulmer Cup http://edsbs.wikia.com/wiki/Fulmer_Cup , Cal Poly takes on New Mexico State tomorrow. At least one winner will be on the field.

From the Las Cruces Sun-News:

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sports/ci_26413908/nmsu-football-cal-poly-option-will-challenge-young (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14091932325327&key=d2f6dc3d61fd72ef48d01980d6bfec29&libId=70cd583c-dfb5-4172-acf5-f0b184843681&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcalpolymustangs.yuku.com%2Ftopic% 2F5148%2Fmaster%2F1%2F%3Fpage%3D7%23.U_6UcTt0xO0&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lcsun-news.com%2Flas_cruces-sports%2Fci_26413908%2Fnmsu-football-cal-poly-option-will-challenge-young&title=Football%202014%20in%20Mustang%20Sports%20Fo rum&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lcsun-news.com%2Flas_cruces-sports%2Fci_26413908%2Fnmsu-football-cal-poly-option-will-challenge-young)

The Poly fans wanting to see the Mustangs throw the ball a bit more will be happy to see this quote from Coach Walsh from the story:

"We would like to throw the ball better than in we have in the past but both quarterbacks are capable". It is not grammatical, but the meaning is fairly obvious

citdog
August 29th, 2014, 01:42 AM
Your offensive coordinator lost you that football game yesterday. You ram the damn ball down their throat on your opening drive and it's 7-7 at the end of the 1st qtr. At the start of the second you have a nice drive going and get nine yards on the load option play on first down. What does your O Coord do on 2nd and 1? Tries to fool them and throws the ball. Qb throws into triple coverage and it's an interception and that was all she wrote. Just a terrible play call that killed any chance you had to win the game.

cpalum
August 29th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Your offensive coordinator lost you that football game yesterday. You ram the damn ball down their throat on your opening drive and it's 7-7 at the end of the 1st qtr. At the start of the second you have a nice drive going and get nine yards on the load option play on first down. What does your O Coord do on 2nd and 1? Tries to fool them and throws the ball. Qb throws into triple coverage and it's an interception and that was all she wrote. Just a terrible play call that killed any chance you had to win the game.

You are right...A very winnable game. Cal Poly was out coached. The team has some work to do.

RabidRabbit
September 1st, 2014, 10:47 AM
Ok, 'Stangs & Jacks are each 0-1. Who do you expect will be 0-2 & who's 1-1 after next weekend?

Houndawg
September 1st, 2014, 12:43 PM

Everybody knows 2nd and short is a great time to take a shot.

citdog
September 1st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Everybody knows 2nd and short is a great time to take a shot.

NOT when you run the triple option.

Houndawg
September 1st, 2014, 03:26 PM
NOT when you run the triple option.

A good time if your QB understands that he needs to throw it away and take 3rd and 1 if he doesn't have a sure thing. Which he should know.