PDA

View Full Version : Gateway looking at SDSU and NDSU

89rabbit
October 26th, 2006, 07:11 AM
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/SPORTS0202/610260342/1002/SPORTS

Gateway takes look at SDSU
Football conference might lure Jacks from Great West

by Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
PUBLISHED: October 26, 2006

Less than three seasons into its foray into NCAA Division I-AA and an affiliation with the Great West Football Conference, South Dakota State has caught the eye of another league.

Gateway Football Conference commissioner Patty Viverito said Wednesday night that her league has requested institutional information from SDSU and North Dakota State as it studies potential expansion in the near future.

The Gateway is preparing for the possible departure of Western Kentucky, which is considering a move to Division I-A football beginning next fall. That school's board of regents will vote Nov. 2 on the Division I-A matter.

"We've had conversations with both North Dakota State and South Dakota State before," Viverito said. "But it didn't really make sense to have any meaningful conversations about Gateway football unless they had a foundation home for their other sports. The planets aligned."

In September, the Jackrabbits and Bison were accepted into the Mid-Continent Conference in everything except football - a sport the league doesn't have - beginning in 2007-08. . . . (read more)

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Plug for the GPI! :)

The Great West has been ranked as the best league in Division I-AA each week this fall by the Gridiron Power Index. But the league - comprised of SDSU, NDSU, Cal Poly, UC-Davis and Southern Utah - does not have an automatic bid, and it can't be granted one until consisting of six playoff-eligible teams aligned for at least two seasons.

I do agree that SDSU and NDSU would be a great fit for the Gateway. Gateway would definitely become even more of a power conference with the addition of these two schools.

Wonder what would become of GWFC if this occured?

89rabbit
October 26th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Plug for the GPI! :)

I do agree that SDSU and NDSU would be a great fit for the Gateway. Gateway would definitely become even more of a power conference with the addition of these two schools.

Wonder what would become of GWFC if this occured?

The University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota are expected to move to D-I shortly. They would likely replace us (SDSU and NDSU) in the GWFC.

WYOBISONMAN
October 26th, 2006, 07:47 AM
If the Great West had an autobid I would support staying, but it does not. It is great news that the Gateway is looking at the xDSUs!

Gil Dobie
October 26th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I've always wanted the Bison to be in the Gateway. Rejoin our old conference mates from UNI. Hopefully the Great West can add several schools that have talked about I-AA, such as UND, USD, Augie, UNO etc. On the other hand I would really miss the current GWFC members UCD and Cal-Poly.

89Hen
October 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Perfect fit for the Gateway and the xDSU's. :nod: CalPoly and Comma Davis will hopefully find a home as associate member of the Big Sky. SUU?... dunno.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Glad to see some official word that we're looking at the Bison and Jacks. :hurray:

MplsBison
October 26th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I think potentially the Gateway could look like this:

NDSU
SDSU
UND
USD
UNI

Ill State
Sothern Ill
Western Ill

Hopefully In State drops football.

WKU and YSU to MAC, MSU to Sun Belt.

I think SUU goes to the Big Sky to give them an even number for bball scheduling. Poly and Davis are in the Big West for non football.

In football...they'll just have to tough it out. They'll have their little horse shoe game or whatever every year.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM
As much as we all wish In St would drop football, I don't think it happens real soon.

Not sure about YSU or MSU moving on either, but I'd be fine with it. The Gateway would be much more regionalized with all 4 dakotas, UNI, and the Illinois schools.

89Hen
October 26th, 2006, 08:48 AM

:confused: None of the above has even a chance of happening. WKU IS going to the Sun Belt and the MAC will not invite YSU (nor any I-AA) at this point.

bison95
October 26th, 2006, 08:50 AM
If this happens, I hope we continue to play UCD and Cal Poly:nod:

Larz
October 26th, 2006, 08:56 AM
This will be great if it happens. It brings memories when I used to play. Here are some of the scores back then with teams the Bison can renew relationships.

Mont 30-13
SDSU 20-13
UNI 41-13
Northern Ill 28-0

Mont St 30-8
UNI 43-10
SDSU 35-0
Mont 31-16

Norther Ariz 42-9
Mont St 28-12
UNI 23-11
SDSU 13-20

Norther Ariz 14-7
Mont St 24-27
Younstwn 16-10
UNI 42-0
SDSU 34-16

Norther Ariz 36-7
Mont St 34-17
UNI 21-0
SDSU 24-14
Youngstwn 10-12

Hansel
October 26th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Off topic- but I thought Terry Vandrovec was a writer for the Fargo Forum ?

Nyghtewynd
October 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM
MSU to Sun Belt? That's pretty freaking funny. I'd guess that MSU is closer to dropping football entirely than they are going to the Sun Belt, and they aren't close to dropping football.

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM

NDSU
SDSU
UND
USD
UNI

Ill State
Sothern Ill
Western Ill

I think SUU goes to the Big Sky to give them an even number for bball scheduling. Poly and Davis are in the Big West for non football.

In football...they'll just have to tough it out. They'll have their little horse shoe game or whatever every year.

You think it could look like that, what are you smoking? What is your infatuation with NDSU and SDSU being in the same conference as UND and USD? Forget it it's not happening and I'm glad its not. I think it would be best if UND and USD went to the Big Sky. If your so hard up for a game with them then let the administration schedule an OC game with them. I see you post this dribble on so many sites it gets old.

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2006, 09:07 AM
If this happens, I hope we continue to play UCD and Cal Poly:nod:
Those would be my OC games if given a choice. Great competition and teams.

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2006, 09:10 AM
MSU to Sun Belt? That's pretty freaking funny. I'd guess that MSU is closer to dropping football entirely than they are going to the Sun Belt, and they aren't close to dropping football.

He'd do anything (don't know why) to get certain teams back on NDSU's schedule. I think he supports a different school entirely and his screen name is only a cover. xidiotx

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Hey, we can all have our dreams, right? :thumbsup:

BearsCountry
October 26th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Actually the Sun Belt invited us to join last year, we turned it down saying we weren't ready at that time.

NoCoDanny
October 26th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Actually the Sun Belt invited us to join last year, we turned it down saying we weren't ready at that time.

Was this for football only or for all sports? Because to leave the MVC for the Sun Belt would be insanity.

AmsterBison
October 26th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Every once in a while I do like to remind folks that MplsBison does not represent in any way, shape, or form the way NDSU fans think. I'm sure he is the only one on the planet who thinks the Gateway losing enough teams to lose its autobid is a good thing.

BTW, Terry V. used to write for the Forum up until just recently.

GoGuins
October 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM
As much as we all wish In St would drop football, I don't think it happens real soon.

Not sure about YSU or MSU moving on either, but I'd be fine with it. The Gateway would be much more regionalized with all 4 dakotas, UNI, and the Illinois schools.

I would envision YSU leaving if the Dakotas move in, too much travel

BearsCountry
October 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM

To where is the question, Gateway is about the only option unless you want to go east.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Obviously the MAC.

Kent and Akron are what, 40 miles from Youngstown?

Supposidly, back when Tressel was at YSU, their stadium was going to be expanded to 30k and they were going to MAC.

But the MAC got Buffalo instead. Great move there.

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Its just once every two years you have to travel so I don't buy the too much travel gig. Now if you are afraid of the stiff competition then by all means move on:smiley_wi

Jacks99
October 26th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Off topic- but I thought Terry Vandrovec was a writer for the Fargo Forum ?

He is now the new SDSU beat reporter at the Argus leader (SF,SD)

BearsCountry
October 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Its just once every two years you have to travel so I don't buy the too much travel gig. Now if you are afraid of the stiff competition then by all means move on:smiley_wi

If they schedule it right it will be every year, once to NDSU and the other year to SDSU.

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Good Lord. You're going from Ohio to North or South Dakota. Get over it. It's not like you're traveling to fricking San Diego or Portland.

PMB4Life
October 26th, 2006, 02:10 PM
If the Dakota State schools moved in, I would be disappoitned to see YSU leave, but I think they would have a feasible home in possibly the A-10 (or CAA? That's less likely). I don't see where they would go, and unfortunately the MAC has made it clear that they don't want Youngstown State making everyone else look bad.

ucdtim17
October 26th, 2006, 02:22 PM
XDSU's leave for the GFC, I'd just as soon see the GWFC die than sit around 6 years to wait for UXD's to become full time members of our 5 school league. We're doomed to indie status as long as we're in I-AA, might as well embrace it now

bison95
October 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Good Lord. You're going from Ohio to North or South Dakota. Get over it. It's not like you're traveling to fricking San Diego or Portland.

No *****, I drove from Fargo to Ohio to get laid on several ocasions, Not a bad drive at all!!

dbackjon
October 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM

No kidding - the YSU-NDSU roadie would be closer than 4 of NAU's conference trips.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM
It's a bad drive, but not that bad of a flight.:thumbsup:

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2006, 02:47 PM
XDSU's leave for the GFC, I'd just as soon see the GWFC die than sit around 6 years to wait for UXD's to become full time members of our 5 school league. We're doomed to indie status as long as we're in I-AA, might as well embrace it now

I'd be all for inclusion into the BSC, with North/South divisional alignment much like the A-10:

North
Montana
Montana State
UNC
Weber State
Idaho State
EWU

South
NAU
Sac State
Cal Poly
Portland State
UC Davis
Southern Utah

Now THAT would be a power conference. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

dbackjon
October 26th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I'd be all for inclusion into the BSC, with North/South divisional alignment much like the A-10:

North
Montana
Montana State
UNC
Weber State
Idaho State
EWU

South
NAU
Sac State
Cal Poly
Portland State
UC Davis
Southern Utah

My opposition to large conferences not-withstanding, that does make an interesting scenario, although moving PSU to the north, and UNC to the south would be better. Portland is NAU's furthest opponent, while Greeley is actually not that far (Big Sky-wise).

slostang
October 26th, 2006, 03:03 PM

North
Montana
Montana State
UNC
Weber State
Idaho State
EWU

South
NAU
Sac State
Cal Poly
Portland State
UC Davis
Southern Utah

You could also go West/East.

West:

Cal Poly
UC Davis
Sac State
Portland State
Eastern Wasington
Southern Utah or Northern Arizona

East:

Montana
Montana State
Idaho State
Weber State
Northern Colorado
Northern Arizona or Southern Utah

BearsCountry
October 26th, 2006, 03:09 PM

North
Montana
Montana State
UNC
Weber State
Idaho State
EWU

South
NAU
Sac State
Cal Poly
Portland State
UC Davis
Southern Utah

Switch UNC and Portland State, and that could be a really good conference.

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2006, 03:33 PM

West:

Cal Poly
UC Davis
Sac State
Portland State
Eastern Wasington

East:

Montana
Montana State
Idaho State
Weber State
Northern Colorado
I hope that happens for you guys slostang. You have been great opponents in the GWFC and look forward if we get in the Gateway to having you on our OOC schedule. With that being said if this scenario was to play itself out regarding the BSC then the XSD's are screwed. xcoffeex

slostang
October 26th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I hope that happens for you guys slostang. You have been great opponents in the GWFC and look forward if we get in the Gateway to having you on our OOC schedule. With that being said if this scenario was to play itself out regarding the BSC then the XSD's are screwed. xcoffeex
I can only see the BSC scenario happening if the XSD's left for the Gateway, and even then I do not think the BSC will let UC Davis and Cal Poly in as football only affilitates and that is the only way it would happen. One can dream though. It would certainly help Cal Poly with all there scheduling problems in football.

pantherclaw
October 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM
What i would like would be for UND/USD/NDSU/SDSU to get admitted to the MVC, and then maybe the MVC could sponser Football as well?

Here are the Teams
WEST
UNI
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU

EAST
SIU
INS
MSU
ILS
WIU
YSU

Guys something else i could see here is the Mid-Con making a bid for USD and UND then making NDSU, SDSU, WIU, UND, and USD a I-AA football conference? I say this since the GWFC is being administered by the MId-Con. If that scenario happens, the gateway's down to 5 and loses auto-bid status. JMT

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM
What i would like would be for UND/USD/NDSU/SDSU to get admitted to the MVC, and then maybe the MVC could sponser Football as well?

Here are the Teams
East
UNI
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU

West:
SIU
INS
MSU
ILS
WIU
YSU

Guys something else i could see here is the Mid-Con making a bid for USD ans UND then making NDSU, SDSU, WIU, UND, and USD a I-AA football conference?

xidiotx :nono: :mad:
If there was a barfing emoticon I would be using him too.

BearsCountry
October 26th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Here are the Teams
East
UNI
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU

West:
SIU
INS
MSU
ILS
WIU
YSU

Guys something else i could see here is the Mid-Con making a bid for USD and UND then making NDSU, SDSU, WIU, UND, and USD a I-AA football conference? I say this since the GWFC is being administered by the MId-Con. If that scenario happens, the gateway's down to 5 and loses auto-bid status. JMT

Do they teach geography at UNI? Last time I checked SIU, YSU etc are in the east while the Dakotas would be in the West.

Larz
October 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I think I am going to be sick, we do not need to be lined up with the ugly girls any more we can find our own dates.

Go Bison

pantherclaw
October 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM
wow am I embarassed....im a frecking geography major to. Alright not all UNI fans are as dumb as me, sorry for the mess up guys my family got a call today and due to my dad's recent death, and my mom not having as well a paying job as he we're not gonna be able to keep the house. sorry for the mess-up.

BTW, i have an uncle who works for the Mid-con and he says that yes, the Mid-Con is looking into trying to yank UND and USD into the conference so they can start a football division.

Cap'n Cat
October 26th, 2006, 04:27 PM
YSU will never make the MAC. They have to show they're a consistent winner and conf champ. They have enough Buffalo and Eastern Michigans already.

Bring on NDSU and SDSU.

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I can only see the BSC scenario happening if the XSD's left for the Gateway, and even then I do not think the BSC will let UC Davis and Cal Poly in as football only affilitates and that is the only way it would happen. One can dream though. It would certainly help Cal Poly with all there scheduling problems in football.

It's funny, growing up in Missoula and always being associated with the BSC, I've never thought much about how difficult it would be to be associated with TWO DIFFERENT conferences for different sports. Unfortunately though, when you look at the Big West alignment for all other sports, with all Big West teams in such close proximity to each other travel considerations would always preclude Cal Poly & UC Davis from joining the BSC as all sport members. It would be nice if a football-only agreement could be reached, but I'll not hold my hand on my ass waiting for that to happen. : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM
wow am I embarassed....im a frecking geography major to. Alright not all UNI fans are as dumb as me, sorry for the mess up guys my family got a call today and due to my dad's recent death, and my mom not having as well a paying job as he we're not gonna be able to keep the house. sorry for the mess-up.

BTW, i have an uncle who works for the Mid-con and he says that yes, the Mid-Con is looking into trying to yank UND and USD into the conference so they can start a football division.
Dream on, I don't see us going that direction, if the Gateway comes through for us which I suspect is going to happen NDSU and SDSU will be in and won't be looking at that. Can you say NO AUTO BID? No SOS with those schools either. Thanks but no thanks we don't date the fat chick :nono:

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2006, 05:01 PM
This is all crazy. No Mid-con football. Also, none of the Dakotas would ever get an invite to the MVC.

SO ILLmatic
October 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM
NDSU and SDSU shouldnt have a problem at getting into the Gateway. And I would happily welcome them in.

However, it may turn into a hairy situation once UND & USD are ready to move up. The MIDCON may or may not try to force their teams to play in a MIDCON football conference.

I have emphasized before that NDSU & SDSU should not look at a complete MVC invite if it came down to the MIDCON or the Gateway. The conference is too pleased with the conference the way it is and probably wont look at expansion until teams leave the Valley because of their football alignment.

The I-aa midwest (and the whole west in general) are spread out with teams. This contradicts the numerous amount of teams in the Southeast and Northeast. There are more midwestern teams in D2, but it doesnt appear any of them want to move up relatively soon. By the start of the next decade the Gateway may then start to look at teams like UND, USD, UCA, GVSU, the direction Missouri teams in D2, etc...

Polywog
October 26th, 2006, 05:16 PM

West:

Cal Poly
UC Davis
Sac State
Portland State
Eastern Wasington

East:

Montana
Montana State
Idaho State
Weber State
Northern Colorado

This would be my dream alignment. Sadly the BSC does not want any associate members for football, so until that changes it looks like Poly and Davis will be in a conference of two. :(

PMB4Life
October 26th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Also, none of the Dakotas would ever get an invite to the MVC.

Don't say never, basically because SDSU and NDSU are well-funded and supported, but on the other hand it would take about 15 years for this to happen.

BearsCountry
October 26th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Also, none of the Dakotas would ever get an invite to the MVC.

NDSU and SDSU are very similar to MSU and UNI, and they could very well be future MVC members.

igo4uni
October 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I think that NDSU and SDSU would be great additions to the Gateway.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2006, 08:47 PM
UND and USD will be in the Mid Con eventually with NDSU and SDSU. Not sure when, but it will happen, regardless of the xDSU fan's blind hatred.

I do also think that the xDSUs to the Gateway could happen. It'd be interesting to see if the Gateway would also consider adding the UxDs too.

ucdavisaggie05
October 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Great, looks like the Ags are going to be an independent again. That'll do wonders for our scheduling. :mad:

Oh well, maybe we can beat up on Stanfurd every year! xlolx

BisBison
October 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
UND and USD will be in the Mid Con eventually with NDSU and SDSU. Not sure when, but it will happen, regardless of the xDSU fan's blind hatred.

I do also think that the xDSUs to the Gateway could happen. It'd be interesting to see if the Gateway would also consider adding the UxDs too.

Who's leaving the Mid Con to make room for our little brothers:confused: I don't think blind hatred has anything to do with it, I just don't see a 12 team conference.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM
If the additions were reasonable, I could see it.

Esp. if it means getting 4 teams for 1 trip out to the Dakotas instead of just 2 teams.

TonkaBison
October 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Great, looks like the Ags are going to be an independent again. That'll do wonders for our scheduling. :mad:

Oh well, maybe we can beat up on Stanfurd every year! xlolx

If this happens, and it's not gauranteed, and if it was up to me, which it's not, you will be on our schedule every chance we get. I know the fans in Fargo love playing you and Poly. I loved the games back in the 80's when you had Ken O'Brien and it's only gotten better since then!! xsmileyclapx

P.S. Kick Stanford's butt and we will work on the Gophers! :beerchug:

TonkaBison
October 26th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I think that NDSU and SDSU would be great additions to the Gateway.

Thanks, I finally got to see your dome at the beginning of the year and I liked it. We won't talk about the game I was at however! :eyebrow:

I look forward to playing our ex-NCC foes once again! I was at the game in Fargo in 79 when we last played. We won by the way. :smiley_wi

ucdavisaggie05
October 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
If this happens, and it's not gauranteed, and if it was up to me, which it's not, you will be on our schedule every chance we get. I know the fans in Fargo love playing you and Poly. I loved the games back in the 80's when you had Ken O'Brien and it's only gotten better since then!! xsmileyclapx

P.S. Kick Stanford's butt and we will work on the Gophers! :beerchug:
We're supposedly playing San Jose State next season, but, then again, that was supposed to be this season. Suddenly a school that looked like they should drop to DI-AA is in the bowl picture.

We'll go after the Spartans, go take care of the Gophers!

AggiePride
October 26th, 2006, 10:15 PM
UCD is used to independant life, a stable conference would be nice though.

JackJD
October 26th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I just want someone to explain to me how some of the Griz fans posting on the AGS Message Board, get those pictures of the South Dakota State coeds?

Anyway...I think the Jackrabbits would be delighted to be in the Gateway and renew some old rivalries. When I was at SDSU, UNI was still in the NCC and WEstern Illinois and Youngstown State (that Jaworski fellow) were on the schedule. The Gateway will profit from having the Bison and Jackrabbits join the conference.

I think talk about the Dakota State U's joining the Missouri Valley is a waste.

BisonBacker
October 26th, 2006, 11:31 PM

How is the gateway going to absorb USD and UND? xidiotx Dream on. I didn't say that they wouldn't make the Mid-Con but that won't happen right away either tho. You just have a huge stiffy for UND but hey that's your parogative but as for me I'm happy where we are and we certainly don't need them that's been proved time and time again over the last 3 years.

igo4uni
October 26th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks, I finally got to see your dome at the beginning of the year and I liked it. We won't talk about the game I was at however! :eyebrow:

Sounds to me like you witnessed the Fighting Sioux teach UNI a lesson!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Tell me if I am wrong!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

TonkaBison
October 27th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Sounds to me like you witnessed the Fighting Sioux teach UNI a lesson!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Tell me if I am wrong!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

You aren't wrong so you must be psychic! :bow: We had a bye week early in the year so a friend and I drove down from Minneapolis to check out the game and your tailgating. :beerchug:

I don't know who was more in shock us or the UNI fans we were sitting next to! :eek:

Never underestimate an underdog just ask Glen Mason. I hope you guys have the Gophers on the schedule in the future I will be at that game!! :hurray:

FlyYtown
October 27th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Well at least we now know YSU got SDSU on the schedule for next year!!! Let's hope its a home game for the Penguins..

MplsBison
October 27th, 2006, 07:57 AM
How is the gateway going to absorb USD and UND?

It wouldn't happen unless 2 more Gateway schools left.

I'm looking at YSU, ISU, or MSU moving to I-A as the most possible.

spelunker64
October 27th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Another league is recruiting North Dakota State. Gateway Football Conference commissioner Patty Viverito said Thursday that NDSU and South Dakota State are the only two schools the league is considering for expansion.

It was just two months ago that both were accepted into the Mid-Continent Conference, which does not sponsor football.

It appears Gateway member Western Kentucky will move its football program to Division I-A and join the Sun Belt Conference.

“I think the die has been cast,” Viverito said. “We’re just waiting for official action.”

That word is expected to come next Thursday, she said, when the school’s board of regents votes on the issue.

“Nov. 2 is looming large,” Viverito said. “The people at Western Kentucky have been pretty frank, pretty candid. It’s the day of reckoning now.”

The Gateway, which is a football-only league, has asked NDSU and SDSU for institutional profiles, which is generally regarded as the first step in expansion. If Western Kentucky leaves, the Gateway would be down to seven members: Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois and Youngstown State (Ohio).

Viverito said nine teams is an ideal number. It allows for four home and away games and three nonconference games.

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said NDSU is listening to the Gateway.

Taylor said he and Viverito have had about a half-dozen conversations since Western Kentucky announced it was looking at a I-A move.

Asked if he would label the talks serious, Taylor said, “I would label them pretty interesting.”

NDSU is currently in the Great West Football Conference, but getting into the Gateway would solve two major issues: an automatic qualifier bid to the Division I-AA playoffs and scheduling.

At just five teams – three that are still in a Division I reclassification – the Great West is several years away from automatic qualifier status. A league needs six active member teams who have been together for at least two years to reach that.

Great West commissioner Ed Grom said he’s been kept abreast of the developments from Taylor, Viverito and SDSU athletic director Fred Oien.

“Nothing’s being done behind each other’s back,” Grom said.

Grom said he would like to see NDSU and SDSU stick with the Great West as the league continues its growth. But he also acknowledged “each school has to look out for their own best interest.”

Grom is also the associate commissioner of the Mid-Continent, which NDSU and SDSU will join next season in all sports except football and wrestling. It’s the same relationship the Gateway has with the Missouri Valley Conference. Viverito is the senior associate commissioner of the Missouri Valley.

She said obtaining institutional profiles from NDSU and SDSU is about sharing information. NDSU filled out similar requests from the Big Sky and Mid-Continent conferences.

In the Gateway’s request, Taylor said the league is interested in NDSU’s football budget and facilities and the basic background of the institution.

NDSU was rejected by the Big Sky in 2004 because the school did not fit into the league’s geographical footprint. Viverito said both NDSU and SDSU would be on the outlying areas for the league, “but not out of the footprint.”

“If North Dakota State and South Dakota State moved their universities to central Illinois, we would be delighted,” she said. “But that’s not the reality.”

The Gateway has not been shy about adding strong programs. Since its inception in 1985, only nine members have been a part of the league. The latest additions were Western Kentucky in 2001 and football power Youngstown State in 1997.

She said NDSU’s success this season – a 6-1 record and a No. 6 ranking in the Division I-AA poll – has caught the attention of member schools.

“It’s certainly caught the attention for those of us who want to see a strong, nationally competitive league well into the future,” Viverito said.

Earlier this month, Western Kentucky President Gary Ransdell recommended the school move to I-A football. The school’s executive committee made the same recommendation.

That move would open the door for NDSU and SDSU.

Again.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546

RabidRabbit
October 27th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Well at least we now know YSU got SDSU on the schedule for next year!!! Let's hope its a home game for the Penguins..

Almost has to be. SDSU already has 6 home games next year. And we REALLY WANT HOME GAMES in '08 (when we're FINALLY PLAY-OFF eligible)

WYOBISONMAN
October 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM
How is the gateway going to absorb USD and UND? xidiotx Dream on. I didn't say that they wouldn't make the Mid-Con but that won't happen right away either tho. You just have a huge stiffy for UND but hey that's your parogative but as for me I'm happy where we are and we certainly don't need them that's been proved time and time again over the last 3 years.

I could see it happening. If the xDSUs were members and another team or two left the Gateway......UND would get a damn hard look as they got near to post season eligibility.

BisonBacker
October 27th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I could see it happening. If the xDSUs were members and another team or two left the Gateway......UND would get a damn hard look as they got near to post season eligibility.
Yeah but by then they will be in the Big Sky with that Canadian School don't you remember its just a matter of time.xlolx xlolx

BearsCountry
October 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I'll try to talk to the AD of Missouri State tommorrow and get some more scoop for you guys.

BisonBacker
October 27th, 2006, 11:13 AM
That would be great.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 27th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Does anyone else think its cute that the Sue think they're getting into the Big Sky right away?

Point is, they had their chance but chose to scorn our move up to division I. They want to be a DII school but can't get over their Fargo envy. They are not Big Time. They think they are but a DI hockey team does not Big Time make. Just ask Lake Superior State. We as a school do not care if they get into the Gateway, we will welcome our new conference foes like SIU and YSU. We will also be glad to accept OOC games from UCD and Poly. Maybe we'll even schedule a Sue game once in a while.

As is was said, the Metrodome last Saturday was better than any Bison/Sue game I've ever been to.

AZGrizFan
October 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM
“If North Dakota State and South Dakota State moved their universities to central Illinois, we would be delighted,” she said. “But that’s not the reality.”

Line of the day.

Rumor has it the BSC asked the schools to move their universities to Glendive, Montana and Miles City, Montana, respectively. The schools respectfully declined..... :p

BisonBacker
October 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Does anyone else think its cute that the Sue think they're getting into the Big Sky right away?

Point is, they had their chance but chose to scorn our move up to division I. They want to be a DII school but can't get over their Fargo envy. They are not Big Time. They think they are but a DI hockey team does not Big Time make. Just ask Lake Superior State. We as a school do not care if they get into the Gateway, we will welcome our new conference foes like SIU and YSU. We will also be glad to accept OOC games from UCD and Poly. Maybe we'll even schedule a Sue game once in a while.

As is was said, the Metrodome last Saturday was better than any Bison/Sue game I've ever been to.

You think that's funny take a look at this. Wow is all I can say. I don't blame them for being hopeful but reality doesn't center into any of thier conversations. Way too funny.

Here's the linky
http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index.cgi?board=world&action=display&thread=1161873006

Shockerman
October 27th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Here are the Teams
WEST
UNI
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU

EAST
SIU
INS
MSU
ILS
WIU
YSU

Um, don't forget about the Shox. supposedly there will be an article in ESPN the magazine about the return of Shocker football. By the way, I highly doubt that NDSU wants to be in the same conference as UND. A school that trashed them for making the move in the first place. The only way any of this happens is once WSU gets the program up again the Mo-Valley may look at a becoming a DI league. You would have to kick out Drake and Evansville but I could see something like this happening.

New Valley Football
Wichita State
Missouri State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Tulsa
WKU
Rice
SMU
Houston

Non-Football members
Creighton
Bradley

Creighton and Bradley may want to be in a league with Drake and Evansville and could possibly coaxe Marquette and Xavier and perhaps another school into a basketball dominated league. If that happens, perhaps NDSU could make the jump to IA sometime in the future. We already know they can compete and have great fans.

The new Gateway would be the Valley cast-offs with the Dakota Schools

If I could do anything I would just rename the Gateway to the Valley, send YSU packing, kick out Evansville and have a league that looked like this for all sports.

MY Valley
Wichita State
Missouri State
Southern Illinois
Illinois State
Indiana State
Drake at 30 + schollys
Northern Iowa
North Dakota State (if they build a first class basketball arena)

Bradley
Creighton

I should have put a warning on this thread that it is full of a lot bullcrap and read at your own discretion. conjecture is always fun. So until later go Gateway and Go shocks.

BisonBacker
October 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Um, don't forget about the Shox. supposedly there will be an article in ESPN the magazine about the return of Shocker football. By the way, I highly doubt that NDSU wants to be in the same conference as UND. A school that trashed them for making the move in the first place. The only way any of this happens is once WSU gets the program up again the Mo-Valley may look at a becoming a DI league. You would have to kick out Drake and Evansville but I could see something like this happening.

New Valley Football
Wichita State
Missouri State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Tulsa
WKU
Rice
SMU
Houston

Non-Football members
Creighton
Bradley

Creighton and Bradley may want to be in a league with Drake and Evansville and could possibly coaxe Marquette and Xavier and perhaps another school into a basketball dominated league. If that happens, perhaps NDSU could make the jump to IA sometime in the future. We already know they can compete and have great fans.

If I could do anything I would just rename the Gateway to the Valley, send YSU packing, kick out Evansville and have a league that looked like this for all sports.

MY Valley
Wichita State
Missouri State
Southern Illinois
Illinois State
Indiana State
Drake at 30 + schollys
Northern Iowa

Bradley
Creighton

I should have put a warning on this thread that it is full of a lot bullcrap and read at your own discretion. conjecture is always fun. So until later go Gateway and Go shocks.

At least some can see the light, many folks just want to live in a Mr. Rogers fantasy world. The only way things would be different was if they changed administration who had a much better less bitter attitude towards NDSU would many Bison fans want to have anything to do with them. They have a first rate football coach and an AD who seem to be on the right track but the rest are still from the old school of try to hate on NDSU or do anything possible to shaft us. I hope they (UND) make it to the BSC. Better for both schools in the long run.

dlsiouxfan
October 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
At least some can see the light, many folks just want to live in a Mr. Rogers fantasy world. The only way things would be different was if they changed administration who had a much better less bitter attitude towards NDSU would many Bison fans want to have anything to do with them. They have a first rate football coach and an AD who seem to be on the right track but the rest are still from the old school of try to hate on NDSU or do anything possible to shaft us. I hope they (UND) make it to the BSC. Better for both schools in the long run.

The only trashing UND did of ndsu regarding their move up was trashing them in every major sport their last year of Division II. Any bison fan who comes on here and talks about UND being their little brother only needs to look at how we wooped their ass 10 of the last 13 times we played them. If ndsu doesn't want to schedule us it just shows they're chicken**** and are scared of things returning to the status quo they were back in Division II.

No_Skill
October 27th, 2006, 10:22 PM
The only trashing UND did of ndsu regarding their move up was trashing them in every major sport their last year of Division II. Any bison fan who comes on here and talks about UND being their little brother only needs to look at how we wooped their ass 10 of the last 13 times we played them. If ndsu doesn't want to schedule us it just shows they're chicken**** and are scared of things returning to the status quo they were back in Division II.

Yawn, I'm bored of this und vs. NDSU crap already. :bang:

If they need us to show them how it's done, I'm certain we would schedule them any day of the week and twice on Saturday. I highly doubt the NDSU administration are the ones who do not want this game yet. :nono:

By the way, isn't that what little brothers do? Follow in your footsteps?

TheBisonator
October 28th, 2006, 12:35 AM

http://www.johnberman.com/pics/funny/not_this_****_again.jpg

BisonBacker
October 28th, 2006, 12:37 AM
They certainly don't lack for ego and they seem to like to stroke theirs everytime they get a chance. What a bunch of rubes. They dam near lost to that powerhouse Augi (a game they should have lost) and also got beat by UNO. Hmmmm some major competition there. Our mens BBall team would mop up the floor with the shambles they have up there that they call a Mens Basketball team, hell last year they lost to Minot, Valley City and Mayville? What a joke. Little brothers for sure, they need to get their asses kicked by big brother but I wouldn't want to give them the pleasure to be on the same field or court with us as they don't deserve it.

BisonBacker
October 28th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Little brother for sure. Here we are in a thread talking about NDSU and SDSU possibly going to the Gateway and here are these schmucks posting smack and and they are DII? Rubes.

TheBisonator
October 28th, 2006, 01:30 AM
It seems like every single thread regarding NDSU is now in, or will very soon be in the Smack section...

Johnny5
October 28th, 2006, 01:43 AM

NDSU
SDSU
UND
USD
UNI

Ill State
Sothern Ill
Western Ill

I'd like to see YSU move up but I don't think it is going to happen soon.

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2006, 08:42 AM
There's already a couple UND-NDSU smack threads, let's keep it there.

castoff
October 28th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Also heard a rumor that Saginaw Valley State, Wayne State, and Grand Valley Sate of Div II Great Lakes Athletic Conference (GLAC) are considereing a move to I-AA. Since all schools are in Michigan, wouldn't they be a good fit for the Gateway.

BearsCountry
October 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Also heard a rumor that Saginaw Valley State, Wayne State, and Grand Valley Sate of Div II Great Lakes Athletic Conference (GLAC) are considereing a move to I-AA. Since all schools are in Michigan, wouldn't they be a good fit for the Gateway.

No, I would rather have the Dakotas.

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I'd rather have the Dakotas as well. Although who knows, they could be just as successful ad the XDSU's have been so far.

RabidRabbit
October 28th, 2006, 10:29 AM

In evaluating options, Gateway looked at NDSU/SDSU earlier, and said not interested at this time (2004-2005). Why? Because XDSU's weren't pinned down on where the "other" sports would be played. Implicit in that was that you (xDSU's) need to be thru, or nearly thru, transition.

All D-2 move-ups have a 5 year period of not being eligible and therefore, aren't attractive options when an established program is available.

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM
All D-2 move-ups have a 5 year period of not being eligible and therefore, aren't attractive options when an established program is available.

exactly.

JBB
October 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
The further you have to adjust the landscape the less likely the scenario will be true, but given time, small, incremental steps, can bring even the unlikely long shot into the realm of possibility. Things are unfolding for the Great Land Grants in a way that was open to scorn if speculated on even a year or two ago.

NDSU is not interested in the past. As the world of DI-AA football opens up for us it is less and less likely that NDSU is going to want to revisit it. I think we will schedule with an eye to the future. I hope the Gateway comes calling!

BisonBacker
October 28th, 2006, 11:37 AM
The further you have to adjust the landscape the less likely the scenario will be true, but given time, small, incremental steps, can bring even the unlikely long shot into the realm of possibility. Things are unfolding for the Great Land Grants in a way that was open to scorn if speculated on even a year or two ago.

NDSU is not interested in the past. As the world of DI-AA football opens up for us it is less and less likely that NDSU is going to want to revisit it. I think we will schedule with an eye to the future. I hope the Gateway comes calling!

Agree 100% xsmileyclapx :hurray:

BearsCountry
November 15th, 2006, 11:35 PM

New Valley Football
Wichita State
Missouri State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Tulsa
WKU
Rice
SMU
Houston

Non-Football members
Creighton
Bradley

MY Valley
Wichita State
Missouri State
Southern Illinois
Illinois State
Indiana State
Drake at 30 + schollys
Northern Iowa

Bradley
Creighton

Not bad, if we are dreaming I would like:
Missouri State
Illinois State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Wichita State
Houston
Rice
SMU
Tulsa
UTEP
Bradley*
Creighton*

*Basketball Only

Bison77
November 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM

They seem to forget that NDSU won the all sports championship in the NCC their last year there. :thumbsup:

Killtoppers90
November 16th, 2006, 08:16 AM

New Valley Football
Wichita State
Missouri State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Tulsa
WKU
Rice
SMU
Houston

Non-Football members
Creighton
Bradley

MY Valley
Wichita State
Missouri State
Southern Illinois
Illinois State
Indiana State
Drake at 30 + schollys
Northern Iowa

Bradley
Creighton

Dude, you know after Saturday, we are not 1-AA anymore right?

ysubigred
November 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM

He may have confused you all with YSU :confused: I see we're not mentioned anywhere.

Question for you 90;

I was at the game Saturday and talked with a few Topper fan's about the move. I did not get a good feeling that they were to excited about Sun Belt football :eek: What's your feeling? Didn't seem like WKU had more than 4-5000 fans there and if their not so excited about the SBC then how many seat will be filled after the move xcoffeex

Killtoppers90
November 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I was at the game Saturday and talked with a few Topper fan's about the move. I did not get a good feeling that they were to excited about Sun Belt football :eek: What's your feeling? Didn't seem like WKU had more than 4-5000 fans there and if their not so excited about the SBC then how many seat will be filled after the move xcoffeex

I am excited for us to go and play at the next level. I am somewhat underwhelmed by the level of competition in the SunBelt right now but I also know that this is a very young conference. But it seems that this would be the only place to go if we were to move. I believe that the competiton can and will get better as time moves along. There will be a few years of lean for us in the beginning but I think we will be able to compete soon there after. As far as filling the seats, I am less than confident in the ability to do that thus far. But maybe I will be surprised - maybe UK, Navy, Indiana and the like can draw in some larger numbers for us. I will be purchasing 4 sets of season tickets every season to do my part in keeping the PAID numbers up but I am taking a wait and see attitude. WKU fans are not known to get out in poor weather for a football game and are very "fair weather" as well, if you get my point. i doubt many fans would show up for a game like last night's BG/Miami (OH) MAC battle.

Mike Johnson
November 16th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Western Kentucky is exploring I-A status. One of the first things they will discover in this exploration is that 8500 fans per home game is going to prevent them from getting into I-A in the long run, particularly now, with the NCAA threatening a dozen I-A teams with forced reclassification to I-AA.

The current set of rules don't have any of the protections of the past--the 30,000-seat stadium rule, the option to count all (home and road) games instead of five home games, and qualification if six teams in your conference qualify.

Now, it is three strikes in ten years and you are out. Failing to average 15,000 fans in home games the first time, gets a warning letter. Failing a second time puts the team on sanctions. A third failure and it is automatic reclassification.

Unless either the current set of rules change or Western Kentucky significantly improves its home attendence, Western Kentucky will be back in I-AA before it completes its transition to I-A.

That said, I hope Western Kentucky can meet the attendance standards and successfully transition to I-A.

Shockerman
November 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM

No confusion as Tulsa, Rice, SMU and Houston are DI in football as well. This would be a DI conference with DI Football. This is just long term conjecture and its not like the Sun Belt is WKU's dream conference.

Killtoppers90
November 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Western Kentucky is exploring I-A status. One of the first things they will discover in this exploration is that 8500 fans per home game is going to prevent them from getting into I-A in the long run, particularly now, with the NCAA threatening a dozen I-A teams with forced reclassification to I-AA.

The current set of rules don't have any of the protections of the past--the 30,000-seat stadium rule, the option to count all (home and road) games instead of five home games, and qualification if six teams in your conference qualify.

Now, it is three strikes in ten years and you are out. Failing to average 15,000 fans in home games the first time, gets a warning letter. Failing a second time puts the team on sanctions. A third failure and it is automatic reclassification.

Unless either the current set of rules change or Western Kentucky significantly improves its home attendence, Western Kentucky will be back in I-AA before it completes its transition to I-A.

That said, I hope Western Kentucky can meet the attendance standards and successfully transition to I-A.

Well that being said, the 8500 in attendance was for a really poor weather day, so i sure that had something to do with it. But I am hoping for a better showing next season.

89rabbit
December 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/12/10/sports/doc457cbca2b79c3726421891.txt

2008 Gateway population in question

By Randy Reinhardt
[email protected]

NORMAL -- The Gateway Conference will feature seven football teams in 2007 courtesy of Western Kentucky’s November move from the NCAA’s Championship Subdivision to the Bowl Subdivision.

Gateway membership is discussing whether the league population will be seven, eight or nine teams in 2008.

The conference has requested information from North Dakota State and South Dakota State.

“We’ll be at seven next year,” Gateway associate commissioner Mike Kern said. “I don’t see a scenario where we would have another member for next season. We’re sad to see Western Kentucky go. We wish them well.”

Remaining at seven teams is possible. But scheduling nonconference games, which several Gateway members already find difficult, would become more so.

“If we were at seven we would have to find a way to have a scheduling partnership with another league,” said Kern. “The key for us is to have strong I-AA (Championship Subdivision) schedules. Everybody would have to find one more quality I-AA game.”

ISU director of athletics Sheahon Zenger said the Gateway has options.

“I think we can make seven work, I think we can make eight work and I think we can make nine work,” Zenger said. “Nine makes it easier on scheduling with four home and away in conference and three nonconference games.” . . . (read more)

Polywog
December 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/12/10/sports/doc457cbca2b79c3726421891.txt

2008 Gateway population in question

By Randy Reinhardt
[email protected]

NORMAL -- The Gateway Conference will feature seven football teams in 2007 courtesy of Western Kentucky’s November move from the NCAA’s Championship Subdivision to the Bowl Subdivision.

Gateway membership is discussing whether the league population will be seven, eight or nine teams in 2008.

The conference has requested information from North Dakota State and South Dakota State.

“We’ll be at seven next year,” Gateway associate commissioner Mike Kern said. “I don’t see a scenario where we would have another member for next season. We’re sad to see Western Kentucky go. We wish them well.”

Remaining at seven teams is possible. But scheduling nonconference games, which several Gateway members already find difficult, would become more so.

“If we were at seven we would have to find a way to have a scheduling partnership with another league,” said Kern. “The key for us is to have strong I-AA (Championship Subdivision) schedules. Everybody would have to find one more quality I-AA game.”

ISU director of athletics Sheahon Zenger said the Gateway has options.

“I think we can make seven work, I think we can make eight work and I think we can make nine work,” Zenger said. “Nine makes it easier on scheduling with four home and away in conference and three nonconference games.” . . . (read more)

I'm sure the Great West would be more than happy to help with a scheduling partnership.

BigApp
January 14th, 2007, 09:55 PM
hey MplsBison, since you seem to have difficulty answering questions, I thought I'd bring this thread back up and answer it for you.