PDA

View Full Version : Grambling AD Axed

Lehigh Football Nation
July 2nd, 2014, 09:25 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/07/02/aaron-james-joseph-price-grambling-state-tigers-cynthia-warrick/11954787/

New Grambling interim president Cynthia Warrick didn't take long to leave her mark on the university.
In her first official day as Grambling's leader, Warrick made significant changes across the board, relieving athletic director Aaron James and men's basketball coach Joseph Price of their duties.
Warrick took over Tuesday, a day after former president Frank Pogue wrapped up his tenure.
"I didn't foresee it coming, but I do understand when you change president's — I've been in the system long enough — a lot of times the president's have the people they want to bring into different positions, and I do understand that," James told The News-Star on Tuesday.

clenz
July 2nd, 2014, 09:33 AM
I know this is going to go south real quick...but.

I wonder what her reasoning was - real reason not "public" reason.

I'd bet it has to do with years of craptastic APRs, support for student athletes, (admittedly haven't looked at GSU's APRs), and facilities as much as actual results.

813Jag
July 2nd, 2014, 12:36 PM

I'd bet it has to do with years of craptastic APRs, support for student athletes, (admittedly haven't looked at GSU's APRs), and facilities as much as actual results.
Not much is being said but the early word is that this move was supposed to have happened under the former Pres

Panther88
July 2nd, 2014, 03:05 PM
I hate to hear about the high(er) turnover @ Grambling State. I sincerely hope they get it together soonest and implant a permanent plan of success and accountability throughout the entire athletic department.

Bogus Megapardus
July 2nd, 2014, 03:12 PM
All I can say is this - many "older" fans like me continue to maintain a perception of Grambling football excellence. Its graduates regularly filled NFL rosters and took their solid education on to post football success. Why on earth Grambling doesn't capitalize on this well-regarded tradition is a great mystery to me.

clenz
July 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
I hate to hear about the high(er) turnover @ Grambling State. I sincerely hope they get it together soonest and implant a permanent plan of success and accountability throughout the entire athletic department.
This.

For as hard as I've been on the SWAC with APR issues...truly this.

It's good for the administration if it happens
It's good for the professors if it happens
It's good for the programs if it happens
It's good for the athletes if it happens
It's good for the alumni if it happens

It's good for EVERYONE

Bisonoline
July 2nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
Considering the issues I cant believe they have cleaned house from the AD to the Pres sooner. Somes of the quotes from the pres were so idiotic I couldnt believe they came from a person of supposed higher learning.

813Jag
July 2nd, 2014, 03:56 PM
Their worst mistake is firing the bball coach. If you saw what he started with you can see the progress he was making.

pokefan02
July 2nd, 2014, 04:54 PM
They hired what should be a good head football coach that will do what is best for the players, school, and alumni in that order.

Panther88
July 2nd, 2014, 05:19 PM
This.

For as hard as I've been on the SWAC with APR issues...truly this.

It's good for the administration if it happens
It's good for the professors if it happens
It's good for the programs if it happens
It's good for the athletes if it happens
It's good for the alumni if it happens

It's good for EVERYONE

That's what I intimated earlier today on another site. I consider it a growing pain. You cannot build anything w/out first tearing the old down, creating a solid foundation (for success), and then implementing a great plan/design. I hope they get it all worked out to the benefit of all.

walliver
July 3rd, 2014, 09:08 AM
The mid-season "strike" last season was indication enough for a complete house-keeping. After that kind of PR fiasco, it is hard to justify keeping an existing AD. Even if he wasn't involved directly, it is necessary to make dramatic changes to restore public confidence in the overall program.

Hammersmith
July 3rd, 2014, 07:05 PM

Using the new APR limit of 930, Grambling has one horrible sport(MBB - 886), one that could be seeing penalties(WSoc - 921), and four that are in dangerous territory(base, FB, WIT&F, WOT&F - all in the 930's). Everything else looks okay for 2012-2013(most recent data available).

That's not to say their numbers are good, just saying that penalties aren't coming for those other sports. The only sport who's APR is in the top half of DI is bowling. Most of their sports are in or near the bottom quartile.

https://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2013/261_2013_apr.pdf

JayJ79
July 3rd, 2014, 07:31 PM
what did they axe him? and how did he answer?

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2014, 11:42 PM
All I can say is this - many "older" fans like me continue to maintain a perception of Grambling football excellence. Its graduates regularly filled NFL rosters and took their solid education on to post football success. Why on earth Grambling doesn't capitalize on this well-regarded tradition is a great mystery to me.

Agreed. Grambling's athletic tradition - and more importantly, its ACADEMIC tradition of turning out graduates who distinguish themselves in all fields - should be outstanding recruiting tools.

FormerPokeCenter
July 4th, 2014, 08:20 AM
From where I sit, about 60 miles away, it looked like the entire University was somewhat aimless post Eddie Robinson. I think he was so ingrained into the collective psyche of the place, that when he retired and then died, it left a leadership void...

Not that he had anything to do with day to day University operations, but I think his presence and commitment to excellence rubbed off on pretty much every aspect of the school...Without his unifying presence, that sorta fell by the wayside...

Plus, in his absence, I think there were factions within the University that wanted to put their stamp on things and that sorta started an undulating pendulum effect on the University's direction, rather than the steady course leadership that previously characterized them...

Now, I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got.

DFW HOYA
July 4th, 2014, 08:53 AM
And to make matters worse, Grambling won't be able to participate in the State Fair Classic in Dallas against Prairie View A&M, which usually draws 60,000 to the Cotton Bowl and is a significant money-maker for both schools.

The SWAC moved the matchup a week earlier and GSU is now playing Jackson State that weekend. Division II Langston will take Grambling's place in the event.

Panther88
July 4th, 2014, 07:39 PM
And to make matters worse, Grambling won't be able to participate in the State Fair Classic in Dallas against Prairie View A&M, which usually draws 60,000 to the Cotton Bowl and is a significant money-maker for both schools.

The SWAC moved the matchup a week earlier and GSU is now playing Jackson State that weekend. Division II Langston will take Grambling's place in the event.

In 2015, DFW HOYA; not this falls' 2014 tilt.

Bisonoline
July 4th, 2014, 07:44 PM
In 2015, DFW HOYA; not this falls' 2014 tilt.

If the match up was that great why did they move the date? Makes no sense.

BisonFan02
July 4th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Maybe this is answered somewhere (or I should just read more closely), but is the current interim pres going to be replacement to the previous pres? Interesting that someone in place as an interim is making this drastic of a staffing change...making the hiring decisions too?

Panther88
July 5th, 2014, 08:20 AM
If the match up was that great why did they move the date? Makes no sense.

Every other year or so, Bonline, the state fair folks would move the game from either the last Saturday in September to the first Saturday in October. The city of Dallas poured a lot of dinero in the cotton bowl for upgrades and expanded it 92,000 seats, if memory serves correct. They didn't dump millions upon millions into the stadium for it to sit empty so there are other games besides the historical and well attended "Negro Day" between historical PVAMU and more recently invited Grambling affair or the "Red River Shootout" between ut and OU that are played there every so often. Locals SMU, TCU, and UNT are thrown into the fray and I think there are a few Friday night HS games, post the larger collegiate games, that are played there every so often.

Read more here----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Fair_Classic

catamount man
July 5th, 2014, 08:24 AM
The mid-season "strike" last season was indication enough for a complete house-keeping. After that kind of PR fiasco, it is hard to justify keeping an existing AD. Even if he wasn't involved directly, it is necessary to make dramatic changes to restore public confidence in the overall program.

So true. Imagine how he'll explain that one at a job interview?! Grambling needs to get good again, for all HBCUs and all of FCS in general.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 5th, 2014, 12:29 PM
If memory serves that Labor Day Classic is a really strongly attended game every year. It's not like the Circle City Classic in Indianapolis.

Panther88
July 5th, 2014, 04:00 PM
If memory serves that Labor Day Classic is a really strongly attended game every year. It's not like the Circle City Classic in Indianapolis.

Once upon a time, LFN. It's dwindling in popularity, imho. The stats over the last 20 years will support my assertion.