PDA

View Full Version : Impressive Dynasty for I-AA Football...

Guard Dawg
October 26th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Matt Dougherty take on Montana Football...

The Grizzlies can be counted on to make the playoffs, win the conference, and be a fixture in the national title hunt and top 10 of national polls every season. And in an age of parity and first-time champions, that leaves Montana carrying the flag as the last real dynasty.

After three years as a I-AA writer and trips to most of the top facilities in the sub-classification, I can certainly attest to the fan noise and involvement as a greater factor at Washington-Grizzly than any other place in the country.

The Grizzlies just continue to roll along in the Big Sky and national landscape. They have a string of 13 consecutive playoff berths (Southern Illinois is next with three) spanning from 1993-2005, and it looks like that run will extend to 14 this year. They have national championships in 1995 and 2001, title game appearances in 1996, 2000 and 2004, and have been ranked no lower than No. 14 in the final Sports Network poll since 1993. The Grizzlies have appeared in the preseason top five for the last 11 seasons, and have an active streak of 115 consecutive weeks in the top 25, which dwarfs the next total of 50 (Southern Illinois). The Grizzlies sit at No. 2 in the country with a 6-1 record this week, so none of the success is going to change this season.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4046189.htm

Props to UM :thumbsup:

HENJOHN
October 26th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Nice article and much deserved on a great program.

CSUBUCDAD
October 26th, 2006, 07:49 AM
The natioinal title game between Mont. and App St. is the game that turned me onto 1AA football. I had never paid it much attention before, but realized after seeing that game that Mont. and App St. both could have beatup a goo d many Div 1A teams that year. Been following it ever since.

OL FU
October 26th, 2006, 07:56 AM
The natioinal title game between Mont. and App St. is the game that turned me onto 1AA football. I had never paid it much attention before, but realized after seeing that game that Mont. and App St. both could have beatup a goo d many Div 1A teams that year. Been following it ever since.

I don't remember that game:eyebrow:

Longhorn
October 26th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I don't remember that game:eyebrow:

Maybe he's confused JMU and Montana? :eyebrow:

griz37
October 26th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Maybe he's confused JMU and Montana? :eyebrow:

Or the 2000 semi-final which went to OT?

AppStWill
October 26th, 2006, 08:25 AM
They played in the semi-finals in 2000....OT game won by Montana, but never in the finals. Last year was our first year in the big game.

OL FU
October 26th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Or the 2000 semi-final which went to OT?

Ah that's probably it.

smallcollegefbfan
October 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah it must be the semifinal game. I remember that one. Both teams had a ton of players who went to NFL camps. App had like 5 who went that year and I think Montana had like 3 or 4 that year and a good bit each year after that for the next 2-3 years. That was one of the best games ever in the playoffs.

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2006, 09:32 AM
DID MATT....REALLY HAVE TA MENTION......DAT 49-48...DELAWARE WIN?....: smh :...AWK!

OL FU
October 26th, 2006, 09:39 AM
DID MATT....REALLY HAVE TA MENTION......DAT 49-48...DELAWARE WIN?....: smh :...AWK!

I didn't recognize what he was talking about. :confused:

Perhaps if he had written "49-48 BRAWK" I would have understood:nod:

YoUDeeMan
October 26th, 2006, 09:57 AM

ASU-Montana national title game?

Memories. Misty, water colored memories, from the days that......weren't.

Damned leftists managed to take a title from GSU? :smiley_wi

Green26
October 26th, 2006, 10:05 AM
That Delaware/Montana playoff game is one the best football games I've ever seen.

Montana truly is a great program. It's been special and alot of fun, for the fans and the team. Howeve, with the consistent winning and long string of playoff appearances, extremely high expectations have been created for Montana. In my view, the expectations of some fans exceed reality, and create an undue amount of pressure, unpleasantness and unhealthiness. Too many Griz fans don't know, or care, how hard it is to stay near the top of the heap for so long, and how hard it is to advance in the playoffs and get to the nat'l championship game. While the coaches, players, athletic dept. and close supporters also have high expectations, and the team works very hard to achieve their annual goals, I don't like the unrealistic expectations of some fans. Some Griz fans don't know how good they have had it. They don't realize, or want to recognize, that usually a win is a win--and surely beats the alternative. Games don't have to be won with a powerful offense, dazzling passing, screen passes (a staple of the 90's for UM) and big scores. Too many won't accept that winning with defense, special teams, and as a team is fine, as are ugly wins. Most Griz fans, however, are very good and knowledgeable fans, and supportive of the team. However, that not-insignificant minority, including the ones who started booing late in the season last year, are an unfortunate part of the Griz fanbase, in my view. I suppose one can say its nice that they care and are coming to games, but I'm one who would prefer not to have that segment in the fan base--especially at a I-AA program.

To me, I-AA football is special, in part because it is not the BCS or NFL, and it has the playoff system. It is more like sport used to be and ought to be, in my view. It allows for a better balance between the primary goals of a university, revolving around academics and learning--and it is not corrupted by BCS amounts of money.

CSUBUCDAD
October 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM
You guys are right, it was the semi game, great great game played by two great teams.

GrizFamily
October 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM
That Delaware/Montana playoff game is one the best football games I've ever seen.

Montana truly is a great program. It's been special and alot of fun, for the fans and the team. Howeve, with the consistent winning and long string of playoff appearances, extremely high expectations have been created for Montana. In my view, the expectations of some fans exceed reality, and create an undue amount of pressure, unpleasantness and unhealthiness. Too many Griz fans don't know, or care, how hard it is to stay near the top of the heap for so long, and how hard it is to advance in the playoffs and get to the nat'l championship game. While the coaches, players, athletic dept. and close supporters also have high expectations, and the team works very hard to achieve their annual goals, I don't like the unrealistic expectations of some fans. Some Griz fans don't know how good they have had it. They don't realize, or want to recognize, that usually a win is a win--and surely beats the alternative. Games don't have to be won with a powerful offense, dazzling passing, screen passes (a staple of the 90's for UM) and big scores. Too many won't accept that winning with defense, special teams, and as a team is fine, as are ugly wins. Most Griz fans, however, are very good and knowledgeable fans, and supportive of the team. However, that not-insignificant minority, including the ones who started booing late in the season last year, are an unfortunate part of the Griz fanbase, in my view. I suppose one can say its nice that they care and are coming to games, but I'm one who would prefer not to have that segment in the fan base--especially at a I-AA program.

To me, I-AA football is special, in part because it is not the BCS or NFL, and it has the playoff system. It is more like sport used to be and ought to be, in my view. It allows for a better balance between the primary goals of a university, revolving around academics and learning--and it is not corrupted by BCS amounts of money.

Well said Greenie. I agree on all aspects. And with the success of the program comes some bad, I agree. I too could do without the spoiled, nay-saying, know-it-all-know-nothing Griz fans who act like a deep run in the playoffs is a birthright entitlement. But you take the good with the bad, and right now things are GOOD for the GRIZ. I'm very excited to see how deep we can go in the playoffs (knock wood) and regardless will be in Nooga to either cheer for my Griz or for I-AA. Life is good for a Griz fan.

Cheers