PDA

View Full Version : Small School Wonders (From Yahoo Sports)

usdtoreros
October 25th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Don't know how many of you saw this on Yahoo sports but it is a NFL draft prospects article that features some small school prospects.

Link to article (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AmVHFjnbLl6j0yk34aKxDJU5nYcB?slug=jm-prospects102506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Here are the I-AA players featured:
- Illinois State outside linebacker Cameron Siskowic, who is currently the frontrunner for this year's Buck Buchanan Award given annually to the Division I-AA Defensive Player of the Year, is leading the finalists with 83 tackles, 4½ tackles for loss, two sacks, two interceptions and one forced fumble. The senior had one of his best games of the year in the Redbirds' loss to Kansas State, recording double-digit tackles against a Big 12 opponent for the second straight season.

Siskowic has excellent speed (he ran 4.5 last spring) and can increase his playing weight towards 230 pounds with an offseason training program. The California native also is one of the most instinctive linebackers in the nation, playing with the same smarts that initially led him to be recruited to Washington State. His ability to shed tacklers at the line of scrimmage and also drop back into coverage makes him an ideal prospect on the strong side, and he has the speed to become a solid threat as a pass rusher and special-teams demon at the next level.

- Southern Illinois tight end Braden Jones, a former Northwestern transfer, has gone from starting Big Ten linebacker earlier in his career to potential NFL draft choice as a tight end.

Jones – a senior who received an extra year of eligibility after not playing in 2004 and missing time last year with an injury – leads the team in receiving with 15 catches for 257 yards and four touchdowns. He also is averaging 17.1 yards per catch, including a long of 80 yards.

As a junior, Jones flashed excellent special teams ability while blocking a pair of kicks, and he has been timed in the 4.8 range in the 40 to go with a 36-inch vertical at roughly 6-3 and 260 pounds. His receiving skills have put him in position to challenge for a late-round to priority free agent grade based on his postseason workouts.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Who says that Cameron Siskowic is the front-runner for the Buchanan Award? He is probably one of the leading candidates, but this is a year where it is probably the most wide open its ever been. Marques Murrell of Appalachian State, Zac DeOssie of Brown, Kyle Shotwell of Cal Poly, Tony LeZotte of James Madison and Jeremy Wiggins of Appalachian State (don't be surprised to see his name on the next watch list) are all possibilities, too.

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I think Siskowic is very underrated. I firmly believe that Cameron is the best LB in the nation. Their defense is sick too. He should win it. I think LeZotte should be replaced by his teammate or his teammate, Jordan, should be added. I also think Wiggins should get on the list. I think DeOssie is a good one too. This year there is no leading candidate, just a lot of really good ones. Justin Durant is another good one.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I think Siskowic is very underrated. I firmly believe that Cameron is the best LB in the nation. Their defense is sick too. He should win it. I think LeZotte should be replaced by his teammate or his teammate, Jordan, should be added. I also think Wiggins should get on the list. I think DeOssie is a good one too. This year there is no leading candidate, just a lot of really good ones. Justin Durant is another good one.
I'm not underrating Siskowic at all. I look forward to seeing him play on TV this weekend against YSU. The best linebacker I've seen this year is DeOssie. He is just an animal on defense.

redbirdtim
October 26th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Would be nice to finally have a Bird win it after having 4 top 4 finishes the past 4 years. Cam is a great guy, and I would love to see him win this award, but I think getting a ring on his finger and playing on Sundays is what he is focusing on. Seems like there are 2-3 scouts a game watching him...possibly there for Laurent too, but they were there weeks he didn't play either.