PDA

View Full Version : Bye!

SpiritCymbal
June 30th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Looking forward the the new challenge but leaving I-AA is a little bittersweet. It's all that GSC/U fans have known and was the right place for the program's growth and spurred the growth of the school as a whole.

Good luck to all as you fight for the next National Championship!

Cheers!

chattanoogamocs
June 30th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Best of luck to GSU and ASU as they chase their dreams.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 1st, 2014, 12:10 AM
Best of luck to GSU and ASU as they chase their dreams.

I concur.

seantaylor
July 1st, 2014, 01:41 AM
Glad to be done with this chickensh@t outfit

813Jag
July 1st, 2014, 06:47 AM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

SFA 93
July 1st, 2014, 06:59 AM
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060419143505/lostpedia/images/f/fd/Chicken_suit.jpg

Gil Dobie
July 1st, 2014, 07:15 AM

Best of luck to GSU and ASU. Will miss that short, but sweet rivalry with the Eagles.

TheRevSFA
July 1st, 2014, 07:35 AM
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Sean.

Good luck to ASU and GSU in the Sun Belt.

underdawg
July 1st, 2014, 07:36 AM
Good luck to both teams in the FBS play-offs this season-hope they win a NC!!!!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 1st, 2014, 07:53 AM
Good luck to both teams in the FBS play-offs this season-hope they win a NC!!!!!!

That's our 5-year goal, not our 1-year goal. :D

Sammy94
July 1st, 2014, 07:59 AM

From chickensh@t to bullsh@t. See you in a few years in whats left over when the big boys start the semi-pro league. Good luck

OL FU
July 1st, 2014, 08:07 AM
Good Luck to both GSU and ASU. Enjoyed the rivalry and the games. xthumbsupx

The Eagle's Cliff
July 1st, 2014, 08:33 AM
Good Luck to both GSU and ASU. Enjoyed the rivalry and the games. xthumbsupx

I'll miss the close proximity of trips to Greenville, Spartanburg, and Charleston. Seems like yesterday we were facing the mighty Furman Paladins and QB Bobby Lamb in the 1985 Diamond Bowl!

NoDak 4 Ever
July 1st, 2014, 08:34 AM
I'll miss the close proximity of trips to Greenville, Spartanburg, and Charleston. Seems like yesterday we were facing the mighty Furman Paladins and QB Bobby Lamb in the 1985 Diamond Bowl!

I'll miss you most of all.....

walliver
July 1st, 2014, 08:54 AM
I will miss ASU and GSU. Although those schools are quite different from us, these games were generally among our biggest rivalries.

It will take years to establish replacements, if replacement rivalries develop at all. We will still have the despicable purple horsey people to hate, and the toy soldiers are intensely disliked (but it hasn't been much of an on-field rivalry the last decade and a half). But it isn't quite the same as taking down Goliath and his cousin with a bite on the ankle.

I hope they both find what they are looking for.

clenz
July 1st, 2014, 10:18 AM
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/Untitled_zps2cbaab2f.jpg

Bisonator
July 1st, 2014, 07:13 PM
Still wish we could have had some games against Appy. Oh well we're 3-0 vs GSU so we got that going for us. :D

darell1976
July 1st, 2014, 07:25 PM
Looking forward the the new challenge but leaving I-AA is a little bittersweet. It's all that GSC/U fans have known and was the right place for the program's growth and spurred the growth of the school as a whole.

Cheers!

Good luck in the FBS!!!

Drblankstare
July 1st, 2014, 09:12 PM
You leaving Congress?

citdog
July 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
FINALLY the whiners, bitchers, complainers, and cousin lovers are gone! Off to irrelevance! As I have stated before the schmeckle envy exhibited by the two malcontents vis a vis the GOOD schools in their States is just ASTOUNDING. GLAD to be rid them.

CID1990
July 2nd, 2014, 12:13 PM

Please take Seantaylor, Apphole, Saint and the other trolls with you

Apphole
July 2nd, 2014, 12:42 PM

Sorry, friend. I'm sticking around to support my Eagles.

citdog
July 2nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
Sorry, friend. I'm sticking around to support my Eagles.

Why not North Carolina A@T? Is it because they beat your ass last year? THAT was REALLY AMUSING!

AshevilleApp2
July 2nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
FINALLY the whiners, bitchers, complainers, and cousin lovers are gone! Off to irrelevance! As I have stated before the schmeckle envy exhibited by the two malcontents vis a vis the GOOD schools in their States is just ASTOUNDING. GLAD to be rid them.

And yet, App still competes in the Southern Conference. In wrestling.

We ain't gone yet!

Lehigh Football Nation
July 2nd, 2014, 01:14 PM
And yet, App still competes in the Southern Conference. In wrestling.

We ain't gone yet!

With FBS football, the writing for App wrestling is on the wall. I wish this weren't the case.

AshevilleApp2
July 2nd, 2014, 01:15 PM
Oh, and thanks to those wishing the schools well.

OL FU
July 2nd, 2014, 01:44 PM
Oh, and thanks to those wishing the schools well.

Well hell:o. or it is Hell well:o. or hell yell.:o:o

Apphole
July 2nd, 2014, 02:42 PM
Why not North Carolina A@T? Is it because they beat your ass last year? THAT was REALLY AMUSING!

I never attended A&T.

AshevilleApp2
July 2nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
Well hell:o. or it is Hell well:o. or hell yell.:o:o

Or Hell Yeah! This is the Southern Conference my friend. :)

Cocky
July 2nd, 2014, 05:27 PM

Cheers!

Good luck hope we can join you soon

GAD
July 2nd, 2014, 08:02 PM
Good Luck Guys I may try to make it to a few games when you guy play UL-L
Thanks for the memories

T-Dog
July 3rd, 2014, 02:17 AM
Dear Southland/LA area fans.

How do you deal with Lafayette people? What's wrong with them? And why do they call themselves "Louisiana"?

McNeese75
July 3rd, 2014, 09:22 AM
Dear Southland/LA area fans.<br />
<br />
How do you deal with Lafayette people? What's wrong witbh them? And why do they call themselves &quot;Louisiana&quot;?<br/>

Let em feed ya, brag about their greatness, then KICK THE EVER LIVIN **** OUT OF THEM ON THE FIELD!!!! Oh, and the Louisiana thing, that has to do with their lack of writing skills, being lazy and understanding what their legal name really is. ;)

FormerPokeCenter
July 3rd, 2014, 09:30 AM

How do you deal with Lafayette people? What's wrong with them? And why do they call themselves "Louisiana"?

They call themselves "Louisiana" because they're the most unaccomplished untalented, yet vainglorious overreaching social climbers on the planet, who seek to engage in institutional affirmative action, whereby they seek to attain a higher social status through a name change than they can intrinsically earn through merit.

They're smearing lipstick on a pig in hopes that relevance will finally want to kiss them.

It's a mental illness, really...

Lehigh Football Nation
July 3rd, 2014, 09:35 AM
So you're saying, in the Sun Belt, starting now, App State and GSU are now running with their academic and athletic peers?

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 3rd, 2014, 09:47 AM
I notice on the SBC board that those fans generally less familiar with IAA/FCS are usually the ones most apt to look down their nose at move-ups with "FCS recruits".

I really hope we are good enough this year that if we were still a SoCon team we'd be a playoff team, because then it'll be fun to watch the spin on the SBC board of why App and GSU are able to be in the conversation when they just moved up. It's like they don't know the SBC has about a 0.500 record against the SLC. Then again, many of that crowd think last year's NDSU team would finish in the middle of the SBC (xlolx) so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

marenlee
July 3rd, 2014, 10:12 AM
I notice on the SBC board that those fans generally less familiar with IAA/FCS are usually the ones most apt to look down their nose at move-ups with "FCS recruits".

I really hope we are good enough this year that if we were still a SoCon team we'd be a playoff team, because then it'll be fun to watch the spin on the SBC board of why App and GSU are able to be in the conversation when they just moved up. It's like they don't know the SBC has about a 0.500 record against the SLC. Then again, many of that crowd think last year's NDSU team would finish in the middle of the SBC (xlolx) so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I poke around reading a lot of boards with P5 and G5 conferences. It seems like a lot of the G5 boards are less "respectful" to their FCS bretheren while a lot of P5 board will give them much more credit. Maybe a little denial that they're not much better than the FCS?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 3rd, 2014, 11:03 AM
I poke around reading a lot of boards with P5 and G5 conferences. It seems like a lot of the G5 boards are less "respectful" to their FCS bretheren while a lot of P5 board will give them much more credit. Maybe a little denial that they're not much better than the FCS?

One group needs to feel and pronounce a separation where there is little, if any, and the other does not.

PaladinFan
July 3rd, 2014, 03:55 PM

My understand (which may be wrong) is that UL-L opted to start using "Louisiana" as a branding tool. Most states have a U of X and a X State University. Louisiana really just has LSU.

I suppose its much like University of Tennessee Knoxville calling themselves "Tennessee." There are a bunch of colleges that are Universities of Tennessee. I suppose they just got there first.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 3rd, 2014, 04:37 PM
I can't be the only one amused by a person who spends years saying how great it's going to be getting into the club, and not three days in starts complaining about the people in the club with them.

FormerPokeCenter
July 3rd, 2014, 04:41 PM
They are prohibited from using that name...this is an end run around a state law. And, no, they didn't get there first...

My understand (which may be wrong) is that UL-L opted to start using "Louisiana" as a branding tool. Most states have a U of X and a X State University. Louisiana really just has LSU.

I suppose its much like University of Tennessee Knoxville calling themselves "Tennessee." There are a bunch of colleges that are Universities of Tennessee. I suppose they just got there first.

proasu89
July 3rd, 2014, 09:17 PM
I read the title of this thread and thought it was where the fans of each team discussed when they were playing Western.:D Oh well, good luck to all in the FCS and especially to our SoCon brethren, even the boys from Cullowhee!

paward
July 3rd, 2014, 09:30 PM
Wow I will miss you both. Can not wait for my first FBS GSU vs ASU tailgate. Now if they can the school bus ride there will be some furniture thrown in eagle creek.

Tribal
July 4th, 2014, 06:49 PM
The number of teeth and average IQ of the FCS fanbase just increased by 20.

BisonFan02
July 4th, 2014, 10:56 PM
The number of teeth and average IQ of the FCS fanbase just increased by 20.

That's a lot of teeth if by average.... :D

catamount man
July 5th, 2014, 08:11 AM
In all seriousness, good luck and best wishes to all App State and Ga Southern fans, student-athletes, supporters and administrators. The SoCon is a much better place for having you been a part of its history. It may not show on the field, but Western Carolina University is doing things now the right way to pick up the ball you're leaving behind and running with it. I suspect in a few years, WCU vs Furman will have the same meat and grit to it as it did from 1980-1987 and both purple camps will be out for blood. Gonna miss you guys! GO CATS!

catamount man
July 5th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I read the title of this thread and thought it was where the fans of each team discussed when they were playing Western.:D Oh well, good luck to all in the FCS and especially to our SoCon brethren, even the boys from Cullowhee! Ya know 89 I will actually miss you. LOL!

citdog
July 5th, 2014, 12:37 PM
In all seriousness, good luck and best wishes to all App State and Ga Southern fans, student-athletes, supporters and administrators. The SoCon is a much better place for having you been a part of its history. It may not show on the field, but Western Carolina University is doing things now the right way to pick up the ball you're leaving behind and running with it. I suspect in a few years, WCU vs Furman will have the same meat and grit to it as it did from 1980-1987 and both purple camps will be out for blood. Gonna miss you guys! GO CATS!

Better off that they are gone and will be forgotten. I'd worry about winning another D-1 game before I had dreams of glory.

catamount man
July 5th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Better off that they are gone and will be forgotten. I'd worry about winning another D-1 game before I had dreams of glory. I can pay my own bar tabs so shut it.

citdog
July 5th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I can pay my own bar tabs so shut it.

I'll have an Amstel.

catamount man
July 5th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I'll have an Amstel.

Good. And you'll pay for it.

citdog
July 5th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Good. And you'll pay for it.

Hopefully not in the Crapsville Bar and Grill this season for either of us. Glad to see the old Cat back and posting!

Saint3333
July 8th, 2014, 08:30 AM

I was here from the start and even older boards. I've forgotten more quality 1-AA football/FCS moments than Citadel will ever see.

CID1990
July 8th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I was here from the start and even older boards. I've forgotten more quality 1-AA football/FCS moments than Citadel will ever see.

You're a whiny troll who bashes the SoCon and then cries about being **** on by other SoCon posters.

Congrats on being all of that for longer than other people- here's your cookie

Saint3333
July 8th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I bash SoCon leadership, big difference.

Have fun guys.

Sir William
July 8th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I bash SoCon leadership, big difference.

Have fun guys.

Leadership: Iamarino to Benson --> frying pan into the fire.

Just keeping it real.

I'm pulling for App to have great success in the Sun Belt! With that said, if you think the SoCon leadership is bad, you're definitely gonna need Dramamine to help with the nausea you're gonna feel from the leadership trainwreck you've joined.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 8th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Leadership: Iamarino to Benson --> frying pan into the fire.

Just keeping it real.

I'm pulling for App to have great success in the Sun Belt! With that said, if you think the SoCon leadership is bad, you're definitely gonna need Dramamine to help with the nausea you're gonna feel from the leadership trainwreck you've joined.

Don't see why people like to gripe about conference commissioners. A league's presidents actually have all of the power.

PaladinFan
July 8th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Don't see why people like to gripe about conference commissioners. A league's presidents actually have all of the power.

That's what I never understand. Griping about conference leadership is partially pointing a finger directly back at your university.

dbackjon
July 8th, 2014, 05:59 PM

So you moved to the Sun Belt??

xlmaox

ursus arctos horribilis
July 8th, 2014, 07:03 PM

Nailed it, I always get a chuckle at the "dictatorship" that some seem to think goes on there. No matter how many times you say it though...they still rinse and repeat the same crap.

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2014, 05:23 AM
Nailed it, I always get a chuckle at the "dictatorship" that some seem to think goes on there. No matter how many times you say it though...they still rinse and repeat the same crap.

It goes back to the simple point that App and GSU wanted out. They thought it was in their best interest to leave, and at some point, it became more about leaving and less about what was the best alternative option. You won't find a single person that thought the SunBelt was the best option for either, but at the end of the day, that doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, it most of this conversation is logically fallacious in that it assumes the conclusion (we want to leave) and then creates an argument to support that conclusion.

ThompsonThe
July 9th, 2014, 08:13 AM
It goes back to the simple point that App and GSU wanted out. They thought it was in their best interest to leave, and at some point, it became more about leaving and less about what was the best alternative option. You won't find a single person that thought the SunBelt was the best option for either, but at the end of the day, that doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, it most of this conversation is logically fallacious in that it assumes the conclusion (we want to leave) and then creates an argument to support that conclusion.

App State should have stayed 1-A years ago. Administration was too concerned about leaving the rivalries in the SoCon and extra expenses.
Leaving Furman was one of the main reasons they gave. Furman still have a winning record over us. Only SoCon school to have that. Good school
and good program. For some reason never have been able to dislike Furman like could with many other schools. Going to miss the SoCon, great conference, but look forward to the extra challenges.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g321/CRE48/MOVING%20Pictures/avatar_63265_zpsd8a2250c.gif~original (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/CRE48/media/MOVING%20Pictures/avatar_63265_zpsd8a2250c.gif.html)

walliver
July 9th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Blaming the commissioners never really makes sense (other than the guy who destroyed the old Big East).
It doesn't matter who leads the SoCon because it will still be a league of mostly smaller schools overshadowed by ACC and SEC neighbors. The BB tournament is never going to fill large arenas. Televised games will rarely bring in large audiences (and even then primarily against SEC opponents).
It doesn't matter who leads the Sun Belt because it will always be a league of directional universities overshadowed by their SEC neighbors. TV will primarily be on weeknights on ESPN The Ocho, and even then will rarely be the premiere televised game in its time slot. SBC fans will brag about their appearances, but very few people will watch (unless it's an SEC money game).
There seems to be a belief that the right commissioner can fix these problems. It's just not going to happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 9th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Blaming the commissioners never really makes sense (other than the guy who destroyed the old Big East).
It doesn't matter who leads the SoCon because it will still be a league of mostly smaller schools overshadowed by ACC and SEC neighbors. The BB tournament is never going to fill large arenas. Televised games will rarely bring in large audiences (and even then primarily against SEC opponents).
It doesn't matter who leads the Sun Belt because it will always be a league of directional universities overshadowed by their SEC neighbors. TV will primarily be on weeknights on ESPN The Ocho, and even then will rarely be the premiere televised game in its time slot. SBC fans will brag about their appearances, but very few people will watch (unless it's an SEC money game).
There seems to be a belief that the right commissioner can fix these problems. It's just not going to happen.

The big difference is one conference tries to pretend they're the same as the SEC, and the other does not.

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2014, 10:53 AM
The big difference is one conference tries to pretend they're the same as the SEC, and the other does not.

The only two conferences that are within shouting distance of the SEC are the NFC and AFC.

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2014, 10:59 AM
App State should have stayed 1-A years ago. Administration was too concerned about leaving the rivalries in the SoCon and extra expenses.
Leaving Furman was one of the main reasons they gave. Furman still have a winning record over us. Only SoCon school to have that. Good school
and good program. For some reason never have been able to dislike Furman like could with many other schools. Going to miss the SoCon, great conference, but look forward to the extra challenges.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g321/CRE48/MOVING%20Pictures/avatar_63265_zpsd8a2250c.gif~original (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/CRE48/media/MOVING%20Pictures/avatar_63265_zpsd8a2250c.gif.html)

Despite the relatively one sided w-l record the last 10 years or so, Furman still leads the all time series with five more wins.

It was, for a time, one of the great rivalries in FCS football. I will say that one of my fondest memories of the 2013 season will be that Furman was able to re-take the record for most SoCon championships over App State with them still in the conference. I am glad that there were no asterisks for Furman, UTC, and Samford. All three shared the SoCon title and stepped over both App State and Georgia Southern to do it.

Saint3333
July 10th, 2014, 07:55 AM
That's what I never understand. Griping about conference leadership is partially pointing a finger directly back at your university.

Our leaders wanted to and were willing to pay for the TV coverage, the majority of the school's ADs did not. However the commish and their staff are responsible for seeking out deals and solutions to needs and concerns of its members.

Saint3333
July 10th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Despite the relatively one sided w-l record the last 10 years or so, Furman still leads the all time series with five more wins.

It was, for a time, one of the great rivalries in FCS football. I will say that one of my fondest memories of the 2013 season will be that Furman was able to re-take the record for most SoCon championships over App State with them still in the conference. I am glad that there were no asterisks for Furman, UTC, and Samford. All three shared the SoCon title and stepped over both App State and Georgia Southern to do it.

Both have 12 SoCon football championships, looks like a tie to me. As for most overall SoCon championships, no one came close to App during our tenure.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/furman/championships.php

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/appalachian_state/championships.php

CID1990
July 10th, 2014, 08:03 AM
One thing is certain

We all live rent free in Saint's head

dungeonjoe
July 10th, 2014, 08:07 AM
One thing is certain

We all live rent free in Saint's head
meanwhile, we get a TV contract with some of the ASU departure coin.

OL FU
July 10th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Both have 12 SoCon football championships, looks like a tie to me. As for most overall SoCon championships, no one came close to App during our tenure.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/appalachian_state/championships.php

They missed 2001. Co-champs with Georgia Southern. That makes 13.

dungeonjoe
July 10th, 2014, 08:12 AM

maybe Commissioner Gordon...but he had help.

OL FU
August 13th, 2014, 09:53 AM
They missed 2001. Co-champs with Georgia Southern. That makes 13.

They have now corrected 2001. 13 SoCon Championships as I said.

Thanks to David, can't remember his last name.

BisonBacker
August 13th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Best of luck to both teams. Sorry to see them go. Hopefully we will all end up in the same classification when this entire mess gets resolved in the coming years.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Best of luck to both teams. Sorry to see them go. Hopefully we will all end up in the same classification when this entire mess gets resolved in the coming years.

I am guessing that's not their aspiration. xlolx

citdog
August 13th, 2014, 11:56 AM

I'm not sorry. GLAD the whiners, bitchers, and complainers are GONE. Good riddance....

dungeonjoe
August 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I'm not sorry. GLAD the whiners, bitchers, and complainers are GONE. Good riddance....
O great gray-clad Patriarch of AGS, Moses said about the same thing about Korah, Dathan, and Abirham (Numbers 16). There was peace on the Israelite messageboard for a while, but then, others rose to whine, bitch, and complain in their place...it has happened before and it will happen again;)

BisonBacker
August 13th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I am guessing that's not their aspiration. xlolx

That would depend on "who you are" xlolx