PDA

View Full Version : New UD Player Cares for Mom Battling MS

superman7515
June 30th, 2014, 08:19 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2014/06/30/new-delaware-football-player-makes-amazing-sacrifice/11732639/

Quai Jefferson, entering his freshman year at the University of Delaware, was summoned to his high school, St. Joseph's Regional in Montvale, New Jersey, on June 20 for what he was told would be an awards reception and barbecue.

When he saw the TV cameras, Jefferson sensed there may be something bigger taking place. Then a group of New York Yankees appeared and made a beeline for him, meaning Jefferson, not those Yankees, was the center of attention.

And for good reason.

Jefferson, 18, was the Yankees' fifth HOPE Week initiative honoree. The acronym stands for Helping Others Persevere and Excel through acts of goodwill, and it's a description that fits Jefferson well.

Since before he entered high school, Jefferson has been the primary caregiver for his mother Vaida, 45, who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a debilitating neurological disease that has no cure, when she was 32.

Vaida is a single mother and Quai (pronounced Kway) is an only child. That left household tasks, such as cooking, cleaning and laundry, as well as frequently providing medical care, to Quai at the Woodland Park, New Jersey, apartment they share.

He accepted that responsibility without hesitation, even though it meant long and challenging days when he was in high school.

"I love my mother too much, so there was no doubt in my mind I would take care of her," Jefferson said last week after having photographs taken with his UD football teammates at the Carpenter Center.

"Just seeing her being happy and smiling made it worthwhile. It hurt her a lot because she felt I should be able to be a normal kid and not have to do all those things. I told her it was out of love. It's not work. It was passion. It was more than just 'I have to do it.' I wanted to do it."

This month has been a transitional time for Quai and Vaida. Quai, a 6-foot, 195-pound wide receiver at nationally ranked New Jersey Group 3 non-public state champion St. Joseph's, is attending Delaware on a football scholarship. He caught four TD passes in St. Joe's state championship win.

Blue Hens players attend summer classes and have daily football conditioning activities, so Quai has been on campus the last couple weeks. He had traveled some as an AAU basketball player, which gave him an early taste of life away from home and mom.

His mother, having recently qualified for Medicaid coverage she didn't have before, is now benefiting from increased daily nursing visits and the return of Quai's father, Seth Davis, who had not previously played a prominent role.

"I'm fine," Vaida said by phone last week. "It's funny. People call me and say 'How are you transitioning?' I say, 'In 2014, when you know where your child is and what he's doing and he's doing something productive, you're fine.' "

On June 20, she watched her son eat lunch at a table surrounded by nine New York Yankees, with Mark Teixeira on one side and Masahiro Tanaka on the other and C.C. Sabathia across from him.

With tears sliding down her cheeks and landing on her green sweater, Vai then saw Quai throw out the ceremonial first pitch that night at Yankee Stadium. He playfully stopped mid-windup to look at an imaginary runner at second base and shake off a call from infielder-turner catcher Brendan Ryan before delivering a strike.

Earlier on that hallowed diamond, Quai, wearing a royal blue UD cap, spoke with Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter and manager Joe Girardi, who told him "It's great what you're doing."...

Much more at the link.

BISON Thunder
June 30th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Great story...thank you for sharing.

FormerPokeCenter
June 30th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Great story!

PAllen
July 1st, 2014, 12:12 AM
Is this the same guy who was on Good Morning America last year? As I recall, similar story and that guy was headed to UD because he "wanted to stay close to Mom". Great story, and kudos to UD for landing such gentlemen.