PDA

View Full Version : Injuries already mounting in NDSU's campaign for a fourth straight FCS national champ

MplsBison
June 27th, 2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.inforum.com/content/ndsus-zack-johnson-miss-season-due-knee-surgery

Zack Johnson will redshirt after all. It’s just not the way North Dakota State would have preferred.

The Bison offensive lineman will miss this season after undergoing knee surgery this week.

NDSU head coach Chris Klieman said what was expected to be a routine scope surgery turned out worse than doctors thought, and the 6-foot-4, 317-pound junior-to-be underwent microfracture surgery. It will put him out at least four months, and Klieman said the decision was made this week to “most likely” shelve his season rather than try to return sometime in the latter half of the year.

“I’d rather have this happen on June 24 than Aug. 14,” Klieman said. “At least we’re prepared for it. Now we have to plug the next guy in.”

Who will that be?

Johnson’s injury combined with the decision of sophomore starting center Josh Colville to give up the game because of chronic injuries leaves NDSU thin on experience along the offensive line heading into fall camp. Joe Haeg is the sole returning starter and he’s moving from right tackle to left tackle.

Senior Jesse Hinz will start at center. Klieman is high on Jeremy Kelly, a junior transfer from Minnesota-Crookston who sat out last season as a Bison redshirt. Senior Zac Johnson, sophomores Jack Plankers and Landon Lechler and redshirt freshmen Austin Kuhnert and Zack Ziemer will have to play prominent roles.

“We have eight or nine guys who will have to learn multiple positions,” Klieman said.

That's in addition to the loss of starting interior DL Brian Schaetz and our starting C Josh Colville.

This is how things start to go bad. I know I'm being a pessimist here, but we have two prominent injuries and one retired player for three of our best interior linemen and the season hasn't even started.

Pile that onto a brand new coaching staff and a brand new QB.

I'm seeing three ways that the 2014 season can likely go:

- repeat of the 2010 season (good)
- repeat of the 2008 season (middle)
- repeat of the 2009 season (worst)

Sorry, but just not seeing a 2011/2012 type run in this group. Not with these bad omens. And it doesn't help things that our first game is against Iowa St, the same team we played first in 2009.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Here's my prediction for the 2014 starting OL at Iowa State.

LT - Haeg - JR (4th season) - two year starter at RT, switching over
LG - Kelly - JR (4th season) - two year starter and started as a true freshman on a poor DII team, then sat out last year as a transfer
C - Hinz - SR (5th season) - started as a true freshman at C in the 2010 playoff run, has had injury problems (medical redshirt in 2012)
RG - Plankers - SO (3rd season) - started the UNI game and got pushed around in my opinion (Gimmestad had to come in, they were trying to keep him out because of injury), hopefully he has improved his pad level and strength, tall kid
RT - Lechler - SO (3rd season) - another tall kid, don't think he played much last year

Backups:
Schueller - SR 5th year - C - may push Hinz for starting spot or rotation playing time
Johnson (the other Zac) - SR 5th year - G - may push for rotation playing time
Kuhnert - FR 2nd year - G/T - Right height to play inside or outside, will need to learn everything
Ziemer - FR 2nd year - G/T - Right height to play inside or outside, will need to learn everything

dewey
June 27th, 2014, 10:48 AM
That's in addition to the loss of starting interior DL Brian Schaetz and our starting C Josh Colville

Brian Schaetz is out for summer workouts but should be ready for fall camp according to this article.

http://www.wday.com/content/ndsu-junior-defensive-tackle-brian-schaetz-out-least-four-weeks-broken-foot

Losing Zack Johnson for the season is a BIG loss to the team but like Coach K said it is better to have this happen at the end of June than during fall camp as you have more time to prepare the next guy. I am hoping that Zack can get healed up and be ready to go next year.

The offensive line coach will be busy this summer making sure they are ready to go in Ames. The good thing is that with all of the blowouts NDSU had last year they were able to get those backup offensive lineman playing time and game time experience.

My biggest concern for the 2014 NDSU team is the offensive line and defensive tackle play.

Go Bison!

Dewey

dewey
June 27th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Here's my prediction for the 2014 starting OL at Iowa State.

LG - Kelly - JR (4th season) - two year starter and started as a true freshman on a poor DII team, then sat out last year as a transfer
C - Hinz - SR (5th season) - started as a true freshman at C in the 2010 playoff run, has had injury problems (medical redshirt in 2012)
RG - Plankers - SO (3rd season)
RT - Lechler - SO (3rd season)

Backups:
Schueller - SR 5th year - C - may push Hinz for starting spot or rotation playing time
Johnson (the other Zac) - SR 5th year - G - may push for rotation playing time
Kuhnert - FR 2nd year - G/T - Right height to play inside or outside, will need to learn everything
Ziemer - FR 2nd year - G/T - Right height to play inside or outside, will need to learn everything

Pretty good list Mpls.

I think it goes this way.
LG -Schueller - SR 5th year - may push Hinz for starting spot or rotation playing time
RG - Plankers - SO (3rd season) - started the UNI game and got pushed around in my opinion (Gimmestad had to come in, they were trying to keep him out because of injury), hopefully he has improved his pad level and strength, tall kid
RT - Lechler - SO (3rd season) - another tall kid, don't think he played much last year

Backups:
Kelly - JR (4th season)
Johnson (the other Zac) - SR 5th year - G
Kuhnert - FR 2nd year - G/T
Ziemer - FR 2nd year - G/T
Polson - FR 2nd year - C

Here is the spring depth chart.

https://twitter.com/ECloskyKVRR/status/449255986046324736/photo/1

Dewey

MplsBison
June 27th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Brian Schaetz is out for summer workouts but should be ready for fall camp according to this article.

http://www.wday.com/content/ndsu-junior-defensive-tackle-brian-schaetz-out-least-four-weeks-broken-foot

Losing Zack Johnson for the season is a BIG loss to the team but like Coach K said it is better to have this happen at the end of June than during fall camp as you have more time to prepare the next guy. I am hoping that Zack can get healed up and be ready to go next year.

The offensive line coach will be busy this summer making sure they are ready to go in Ames. The good thing is that with all of the blowouts NDSU had last year they were able to get those backup offensive lineman playing time and game time experience.

My biggest concern for the 2014 NDSU team is the offensive line and defensive tackle play.

Go Bison!

Dewey

But were they?

Bohl's MO has always been to play the starters as long as possible. Maybe he gave Fuchs more free reign in playing backups earlier in the game, but I don't see why.

Professor Chaos
June 27th, 2014, 11:18 AM
It's definitely a concern when you have to replace 4/5 of the starting O-line and the lone returning starter is switching positions. Especially when you're breaking in a new starting QB and the running game is the bread and butter of your offense.

I think Hinz and Plankers will be fine. Lechler and Schueller (or whoever else ends up starting at RG) will be the big question marks IMO. This also makes them dangerously thin should they sustain in season injuries along the O line.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Pretty good list Mpls.

I think it goes this way.
LG -Schueller - SR 5th year - may push Hinz for starting spot or rotation playing time

Backups:
Kelly - JR (4th season)
Johnson (the other Zac) - SR 5th year - G
Kuhnert - FR 2nd year - G/T
Ziemer - FR 2nd year - G/T
Polson - FR 2nd year - C

Here is the spring depth chart.

https://twitter.com/ECloskyKVRR/status/449255986046324736/photo/1

Dewey

Surprised not to see Ziemer on there. Maybe he was hurt in the spring.

Olson and Polson don't even show up on the 2013 recruiting class announcement. I dare say they're unrecruited (traditional) walk-ons. At least Schueller was a recruited walk-on.

Of course, Kelly was an unrecruited transfer, but the Forum article today says coach is high on him and he started as a true freshman for two years at what essentially amounts to him going to a JUCO. Came from a solid western Wisc. high school program.

Kuhnert could be in a good position to start at G as well. He was a scholarship player out of high school in Sioux Falls.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2014, 11:22 AM
It's definitely a concern when you have to replace 4/5 of the starting O-line and the lone returning starter is switching positions. Especially when you're breaking in a new starting QB and the running game is the bread and butter of your offense.

I think Hinz and Plankers will be fine. Lechler and Schueller (or whoever else ends up starting at RG) will be the big question marks IMO. This also makes them dangerously thin should they sustain in season injuries along the O line.

Do you mean LG? Or you thinking Plankers will switch over to work with Haeg on the left side?

Professor Chaos
June 27th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Do you mean LG? Or you thinking Plankers will switch over to work with Haeg on the left side?
Yeah, I meant LG (Zack Johnson's spot).

MplsBison
June 27th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Well to your comment then, Hinz was beat out at C by Colville (an undersized player) and Plankers got pushed around last year vs UNI.

Schueller was a walk-on who has never started and is now a senior, likewise Zac Johnson is a senior and a transfer. Both should get some game reps, especially if we get injuries. At this point I'd rather give a guy like Kuhnert or Ziemer, a young scholarship player, a chance at the LG if it isn't Kelly.

Lechler is a question mark, as you said.

And Haeg is switching sides. Nothing's going to be easy on the OL this year. That's for sure.

Bisonator
June 27th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Way too early to have a "the sky is falling" mentality. Certainly there are a lot of concerns going into fall camp but I look at it more as an opportunity for other players to step up. NDSU has always had that next man up mentality. It's one of the reasons for our programs success. I'm confident we have the right coaches and players to overcome adversities.

underdawg
June 27th, 2014, 12:37 PM
You guys will be just fine---maybe not a NC but fighting for the MVFC one.

IBleedYellow
June 27th, 2014, 12:54 PM
It's not even Fall camp yet. You all must be fun to go to parties with. ;)

Professor Chaos
June 27th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Well to your comment then, Hinz was beat out at C by Colville (an undersized player) and Plankers got pushed around last year vs UNI.

Schueller was a walk-on who has never started and is now a senior, likewise Zac Johnson is a senior and a transfer. Both should get some game reps, especially if we get injuries. At this point I'd rather give a guy like Kuhnert or Ziemer, a young scholarship player, a chance at the LG if it isn't Kelly.

Lechler is a question mark, as you said.

And Haeg is switching sides. Nothing's going to be easy on the OL this year. That's for sure.
In regards to Plankers, getting pushed around in your first collegiate start against a defense like UNI's isn't something to condemn a kid over. Plankers has excellent physical tools with his height and strength, he just needs to work on his footwork to get quicker and more agile. With continued coaching and conditioning I think he'll be an excellent lineman.

Hinz losing his spot to players like Joe Lund and Josh Colville is nothing to thumb your nose at either, both of those guys were fantastic lineman. Just because he wasn't as good as either of those two doesn't mean he can't be a contributor now with them gone. He stepped into several games last year without anyone really noticing and that's a good thing for an O-lineman. With his experience and (hopefully) continued good health he'll be a leader on the O-line this year.

Lechler is a question mark just because of the unknown, the O-line was remarkably healthy last year so it's just as possible he didn't play due to the established players in front of him as it was that he didn't play due to ability. Nobody but the coaches who watched practice every day know for sure.

I agree with you on Schueller and Zac Johnson, unless they're clearly ahead of the redshirt freshman like Ziemer or Kuhnert I'd much rather see them go with the younger player. It's also easier for those older guys to be the swing backups who can move all over the line and allow the younger guys to focus on one position.

clenz
June 27th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Was he playing center that game?

Professor Chaos
June 27th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Was he playing center that game?
Jack Plankers was at right guard for the UNI game. I believe Jesse Hinz was at center that whole game because of a car accident the usual starting center Josh Colville was in that week.

clenz
June 27th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Jack Plankers was at right guard for the UNI game. I believe Jesse Hinz was at center that whole game because of a car accident the usual starting center Josh Colville was in that week.
It's not uncommon for interior OL to get pushed around by Xavier Williams...he's a big, strong, dude.

dewey
June 27th, 2014, 03:09 PM
It's not uncommon for interior OL to get pushed around by Xavier Williams...he's a big, strong, dude.

He was 1st team all conference last year, right? First collegiate start against one of the best DT's in the conference would be tough for anyone. Like you said he is a big strong dude.

Dewey

clenz
June 27th, 2014, 03:12 PM
He was 1st team all conference last year, right? First collegiate start against one of the best DT's in the conference would be tough for anyone. Like you said he is a big strong dude.

Dewey
Yeah, Xavier is one of the best DT, if not the best, in the conference. I can't wait to get Mac O'Brien back with him in the middle of that line.

AmsterBison
June 27th, 2014, 03:38 PM
MVFC teams match up pretty well with NDSU so it's going be tough to repeat as conference champion but, hey, if the Bison do that, who knows what could happen? NDSU's style of play and personnel have matched up very well with most non-conference playoff teams.

It might help that NDSU doesn't play UNI and SDSU until November, giving the lines more time to gel.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2014, 05:09 PM
It's not even Fall camp yet. You all must be fun to go to parties with. ;)

True, it is the offseason. I hate to bring up all this ... football.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2014, 05:16 PM

Dewey

But on the other hand, Tyler Gimmestad comes in and it's like a lightbulb turned on for the running game. Go back and watch it if you don't believe me. Gimmestad was hurting and they were trying not to play him. He comes in and starts manhandling the UNI DT and getting nasty with him, whereas Plankers was probably too scared of screwing up the assignment that he was playing timid.

Actually, now that I think a bit more - I think Plankers got hurt in the game and had to come out. And that's what prompted Gimme to say enough is enough I'm going in coach.

Anyway, we won the game.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2014, 05:20 PM
In regards to Plankers, getting pushed around in your first collegiate start against a defense like UNI's isn't something to condemn a kid over. Plankers has excellent physical tools with his height and strength, he just needs to work on his footwork to get quicker and more agile. With continued coaching and conditioning I think he'll be an excellent lineman.

Hinz losing his spot to players like Joe Lund and Josh Colville is nothing to thumb your nose at either, both of those guys were fantastic lineman. Just because he wasn't as good as either of those two doesn't mean he can't be a contributor now with them gone. He stepped into several games last year without anyone really noticing and that's a good thing for an O-lineman. With his experience and (hopefully) continued good health he'll be a leader on the O-line this year.

Lechler is a question mark just because of the unknown, the O-line was remarkably healthy last year so it's just as possible he didn't play due to the established players in front of him as it was that he didn't play due to ability. Nobody but the coaches who watched practice every day know for sure.

I agree with you on Schueller and Zac Johnson, unless they're clearly ahead of the redshirt freshman like Ziemer or Kuhnert I'd much rather see them go with the younger player. It's also easier for those older guys to be the swing backups who can move all over the line and allow the younger guys to focus on one position.

You're right. Good post. I'm not condemning him and I really didn't want to single out any one player too much.

I have little doubt that Plankers will make a fine Bison OL. All I'll say is that he's a tall kid. Natural OT body. It's much tougher to get your pads low, bend your knees and get under a powerful 6'2" DT when you're 6'7" as opposed to 6'3".

And we all know Hinz can play when he's healthy. Lund is one thing, but Colville was like 275 pounds and 6'2". I know, it's not the size of the dog... etc. And I know he was a very good lineman, hence why he started. Just saying, it seems like a 6'4" 300 pound guy should be able to beat out an undersized guy like that. But that's just my opinion, there's obviously more to the story than that.

Bisonoline
June 27th, 2014, 06:03 PM
You're right. Good post. I'm not condemning him and I really didn't want to single out any one player too much.

I have little doubt that Plankers will make a fine Bison OL. All I'll say is that he's a tall kid. Natural OT body. It's much tougher to get your pads low, bend your knees and get under a powerful 6'2" DT when you're 6'7" as opposed to 6'3".

And we all know Hinz can play when he's healthy. Lund is one thing, but Colville was like 275 pounds and 6'2". I know, it's not the size of the dog... etc. And I know he was a very good lineman, hence why he started. Just saying, it seems like a 6'4" 300 pound guy should be able to beat out an undersized guy like that. But that's just my opinion, there's obviously more to the story than that.

Think--strength, footwork and technique.

344Johnson
June 27th, 2014, 06:06 PM

Idiotic. You play the guy who is the best. Age should never matter. If a 5th year guy is just a little better than a true freshman... You play the senior.

Always give yourself the best chance to win NOW.

Professor Chaos
June 27th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Idiotic. You play the guy who is the best. Age should never matter. If a 5th year guy is just a little better than a true freshman... You play the senior.

Always give yourself the best chance to win NOW.
You'd be surprised how many coaches disagree with you I think. It's along the same lines of dreaded "P" word in the professional player drafts. Player X may be better for your team right now as he's better equipped to contribute immediately but Player Y is more highly coveted because of his potential. When all else is roughly equal between a young guy and an upperclassman more often than not you'll see the younger guy get the reps because it's better for the team in the long run, even if the older guy may be slightly better right now. You can't make every decision with the "win now" mentality. For example, if that's how Klieman was thinking he wouldn't be already making the decision that if Zack Johnson is out until mid-October he won't bring him back this year. It's better in the long run to burn his redshirt year so they can get another full year of eligibility out of him.

Bisonoline
June 27th, 2014, 11:24 PM

I am surprised. Its not like you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 28th, 2014, 06:50 AM
The coaches are really high on Kuhnert and Ziemer as RFR, they will be in the mix.

The O-Line will be fine. There will be some growing pains early but you have to expect that with 4 new starters. You cannot coach size.

IBleedYellow
June 28th, 2014, 07:24 AM

You are a bright as a dead flashlight bulb.

It's not even fall camp and you are being super pessimistic, that is what my point was.

I-AA Fan
June 28th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Your campaign should be to make the upper-half of the MVFC, as it may be a while before you do that.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 28th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Your campaign should be to make the upper-half of the MVFC, as it may be a while before you do that.

Who? NDSU? Sorry bro, they will be a permanent fixture.

Bisonator
June 28th, 2014, 12:45 PM

Yep thats what we need to strive for, 4th or 5th in our conference. Baby steps...xlolx

centennial
June 28th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Nice trolling. You are telling a 3 time defending NC team to campaign to make it to the upper half of their conference? Our objective is to win the MVFC and get to the playoffs, always. Yes, we might drop a game or 2 this season but it won't be for a lack of trying.

Bisonoline
June 28th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Obviously you havent kept in tune with any football the past 4 years. Did you just come out of a coma?

Twentysix
June 28th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Obviously you have kepts in tune with any football the past 4 years. Did you just come out of a coma?

Coma seems to be the only viable explaination.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Think--strength, footwork and technique.

And there's no doubt Colville had all those things in droves. Hinz does as well, I'm sure.

Hinz would be my second least worry on the OL, after Haeg.

Plankers and Lechler on the right side might turn into a pair of dominant, ND born and bred, bulldozing machines. Or they could be liabilities. We will see.

And whomever picks up the LG nod (or perhaps multiple players rotate it) is probably the primary concern at this moment until proven otherwise.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2014, 03:16 PM
You'd be surprised how many coaches disagree with you I think. It's along the same lines of dreaded "P" word in the professional player drafts. Player X may be better for your team right now as he's better equipped to contribute immediately but Player Y is more highly coveted because of his potential. When all else is roughly equal between a young guy and an upperclassman more often than not you'll see the younger guy get the reps because it's better for the team in the long run, even if the older guy may be slightly better right now. You can't make every decision with the "win now" mentality. For example, if that's how Klieman was thinking he wouldn't be already making the decision that if Zack Johnson is out until mid-October he won't bring him back this year. It's better in the long run to burn his redshirt year so they can get another full year of eligibility out of him.

Agree 100% with that.

I'd rather give the starting job to a guy who can hold it down for the next three years than a guy who will be one and done.

But also worth noting, I do believe in rotating players. So if the new NDSU OL coach believes that, then being the "starter" is really just a formality. In other words, if you're good enough you'll get game reps and you'll contribute to the team's success.

I-AA Fan
June 28th, 2014, 04:12 PM
You have to not only rotate linemen, but also cross-train. Football has changed. The days of guards and tackles being different sizes is gone; they both need to be big, tall and fast. You need to be 2-deep at every OL and DL position ...then cross-train them in the other positions. There needs to be 10 starting down-linemen on each side of the ball for any team playing in the MVFC. Additionally, you need three of those trained as snappers and two as long-snappers.

...and the smart coach also has a second-string xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 29th, 2014, 06:29 AM
You have to not only rotate linemen, but also cross-train. Football has changed. The days of guards and tackles being different sizes is gone; they both need to be big, tall and fast. You need to be 2-deep at every OL and DL position ...then cross-train them in the other positions. There needs to be 10 starting down-linemen on each side of the ball for any team playing in the MVFC. Additionally, you need three of those trained as snappers and two as long-snappers.

...and the smart coach also has a second-string xnodx

After watching Valley football for 6 years now, I have not seen one team with '10 starting down lineman on each side of the ball'. The Bison have been the only team, I have seen, that rotates the most players in. Most teams keep their starters in most of the game or until the game is out of reach.

The Bison O-line will be inexperienced but they will be good.

stevdock
June 29th, 2014, 09:21 AM
But on the other hand, Tyler Gimmestad comes in and it's like a lightbulb turned on for the running game. Go back and watch it if you don't believe me. Gimmestad was hurting and they were trying not to play him. He comes in and starts manhandling the UNI DT and getting nasty with him, whereas Plankers was probably too scared of screwing up the assignment that he was playing timid.

Actually, now that I think a bit more - I think Plankers got hurt in the game and had to come out. And that's what prompted Gimme to say enough is enough I'm going in coach.

Anyway, we won the game.

You are right, Plankers did get hurt that game and that was the reason Gimmestad came back in. I know Jack did struggle that game, but the coaching staff (both old and new) are very high on Plankers in the future. In fact, Vigen said that he has ALOT of football ahead of him, hinting at football after college. Knowing Jack the way I do, he will do everything in his power to make this happen. He is one of the smartest, most driven football players I've ever been around.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2014, 09:29 AM
You are right, Plankers did get hurt that game and that was the reason Gimmestad came back in. I know Jack did struggle that game, but the coaching staff (both old and new) are very high on Plankers in the future. In fact, Vigen said that he has ALOT of football ahead of him, hinting at football after college. Knowing Jack the way I do, he will do everything in his power to make this happen. He is one of the smartest, most driven football players I've ever been around.

Thanks for the post.

I'd expect nothing more of a North Dakotan young man. Such a hard working, want-to attitude is the backbone of the upper midwest and why NDSU needs to continue focusing its recruiting in that region.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2014, 09:32 AM
After watching Valley football for 6 years now, I have not seen one team with '10 starting down lineman on each side of the ball'. The Bison have been the only team, I have seen, that rotates the most players in. Most teams keep their starters in most of the game or until the game is out of reach.

The Bison O-line will be inexperienced but they will be good.

10 OL is a bit if a stretch.

I would say that a championship team probably starts 6-7 different OL over the course of a season.

I used to think that the ideal was to have the same five guys playing the whole game. But now I'm of the mindset that it's ok to rotate a guy or two guys during the game, if those guys have earned it during practice and shown that they have the ability to step in and no one even notices the change.

BISON Thunder
June 30th, 2014, 09:22 AM
What is best for a program may not always be what is best for an individual game, in my opinion. I have been impressed with the way the Bison have substituted multiple positions seemingly every play...and with great discipline. I hope this continues if the talent has the potential. I would rather suffer a couple early season losses by playing/developing more guys if this is required to perform optimally in November and December (and hopefully January).

In following, it was odd to me how Coach Bohl substituted liberally except for the quarterback position. I am not referring to rotating QB's, but having the back up play sooner when the game appeared well out of hand. I would love to hear his reasoning for this.

THE HERD
June 30th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Zak is an absolute road graider and his loss will hurt, but I believe we have enough good young talent that we will be okay. I think they will take thier lumps early in the season, especially against Iowa St., but will gel into a very solid O-line after 3 or 4 games. The danger is if we get another season ending type injury somewhere along the line...the depth of the O-line is already bieng tested with the loss of 4 starters now and if we get another to say a player like Haeg, it could be devastating to the offense. A lot of questions will be answered in that Iowa St. game....if the O-line holds thier own in that game we will be more than fine, but if they get completely blown up we could have a problem.

JSUBison
June 30th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Not worried, if the injuries dictate the roster and we end up having a small inexperienced line, just run the veer with Morlock, Crockett and Frazier back there with Wentz. xawesomex

Now how are Valley teams going to stop that? I don't think any of them have seen that offense in years.

clenz
June 30th, 2014, 12:07 PM
UNI played Nichols State a couple years ago, who runs/ran the veer

IBleedYellow
June 30th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Not worried, if the injuries dictate the roster and we end up having a small inexperienced line, just run the veer with Morlock, Crockett and Frazier back there with Wentz. xawesomex

Now how are Valley teams going to stop that? I don't think any of them have seen that offense in years.

...Neither have we. We saw a little option football with Brock last year (WHICH WAS AWESOME!), but that's about it.

344Johnson
June 30th, 2014, 12:28 PM
UNI played Nichols State a couple years ago, who runs/ran the veer

I will cry tears of joy if the veer ever comes back in style.

citdog
June 30th, 2014, 12:29 PM
you are under the impression that running the option is easy. it most definitely is NOT.

MplsBison
June 30th, 2014, 01:53 PM
What is best for a program may not always be what is best for an individual game, in my opinion. I have been impressed with the way the Bison have substituted multiple positions seemingly every play...and with great discipline. I hope this continues if the talent has the potential. I would rather suffer a couple early season losses by playing/developing more guys if this is required to perform optimally in November and December (and hopefully January).

In following, it was odd to me how Coach Bohl substituted liberally except for the quarterback position. I am not referring to rotating QB's, but having the back up play sooner when the game appeared well out of hand. I would love to hear his reasoning for this.

Agreed on all points!

Bohl was notorious for refusing to budge and play the backup QB earlier in a blowout game. I know he had some bad experience along his career where they lost the game from putting the backup in too early. Seems bogus to me.

IBleedYellow
June 30th, 2014, 02:49 PM
you are under the impression that running the option is easy. it most definitely is NOT.

We know buddy. Trust us.

344Johnson
June 30th, 2014, 03:54 PM

We ran it in high school. Lot of fun if you have a qb who can execute.

skinny_uncle
June 30th, 2014, 04:31 PM
At least you guys have your excuse all lined up when you when you lose on Oct. 11.

xwhistlex

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 30th, 2014, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=skinny_uncle;2118877]At least you guys have your excuse all lined up when you when you lose on Oct. 11.

xwhistlex[/QUOTE

Phhpt....

Going to take a heck of a lot more to lose to SIU.

BisonFan02
June 30th, 2014, 09:30 PM

The Bison have won their fair share of Natty's running the veer.

Houndawg
July 1st, 2014, 07:19 AM
http://www.inforum.com/content/ndsus-zack-johnson-miss-season-due-knee-surgery

That's in addition to the loss of starting interior DL Brian Schaetz and our starting C Josh Colville.

This is how things start to go bad. I know I'm being a pessimist here, but we have two prominent injuries and one retired player for three of our best interior linemen and the season hasn't even started.

Pile that onto a brand new coaching staff and a brand new QB.

I'm seeing three ways that the 2014 season can likely go:

- repeat of the 2010 season (good)
- repeat of the 2008 season (middle)
- repeat of the 2009 season (worst)

Sorry, but just not seeing a 2011/2012 type run in this group. Not with these bad omens. And it doesn't help things that our first game is against Iowa St, the same team we played first in 2009.

Dry your eyes, honey. Let me know when you lose your entire secondary before the first game and I'll send you a card.

RabidRabbit
July 1st, 2014, 09:29 AM
AmsterBison
Re: Injuries already mounting in NDSU's campaign for a fourth straight FCS national c
MVFC teams match up pretty well with NDSU so it's going be tough to repeat as conference champion but, hey, if the Bison do that, who knows what could happen? NDSU's style of play and personnel have matched up very well with most non-conference playoff teams.

It might help that NDSU doesn't play UNI and SDSU until November, giving the lines more time to gel.

Amster - These should be the three top teams this season. SDSU has a senior-laden backfield and receiver corps. If the Rabbits didn't have both NDSU and UNI away, I'd say that they'd be favored. But dang tough to get a W in either the Fargo- or UNI-domes.

MplsBison
July 1st, 2014, 01:09 PM
Dry your eyes, honey. Let me know when you lose your entire secondary before the first game and I'll send you a card.

The 2009 season was certainly worthy of wet eyes. The QB heir apparent would have to stumble really badly for that to happen as would the back-up.

MplsBison
July 1st, 2014, 01:10 PM
AmsterBison
Re: Injuries already mounting in NDSU's campaign for a fourth straight FCS national c

Amster - These should be the three top teams this season. SDSU has a senior-laden backfield and receiver corps. If the Rabbits didn't have both NDSU and UNI away, I'd say that they'd be favored. But dang tough to get a W in either the Fargo- or UNI-domes.

Zenner is an AA. Does SDSU have anyone who can throw and anyone who can catch? TE are good too, not just split ends and flankers!

Houndawg
July 3rd, 2014, 06:43 AM
AmsterBison

At this point in the season UNI is head and shoulders above any team in the FCS by such a wide margin that all other teams are playing for second place.

Milkman
July 3rd, 2014, 08:38 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/013/604/thisisbait.png

MplsBison
July 29th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Nice update on pre-camp by Dom Izzo in the blog Monday. http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?p=90639

Junior Brian Schaetz has battled injuries this entire summer, starting with a broken foot in June suffered during workouts that sidelined him, now a more serious ailment has crept up according to head coach Chris Klieman, a blood clot, that has Schaetz off the field indefinitely. Klieman was not sure when Schaetz would return, but that puts the Bison in a tough spot at defensive tackle, he’s the lone returning player at that position with playing experience. Nate Tanguay, Grant Morgan and Austin Farnlof all have redshirted and have yet to play in a game that counts. It appears two of those players will need a huge fall camp.

Now we can officially be worried about the DT position, one of the most critical for stopping the run.

Hopefully the two freshmen will step up, but even if they play above what can be reasonably expected as second year college players the DT position will be taking a significant step down without Schaetz.

Bisonator
July 29th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Still hopeful Shaetz can play by the ISU game. Tanguay is going to be very good and Farnlof is very capable. Haven't heard much about Morgan. Wondering if one of the newcomers may lose their redshirt. That would suck but depth is a problem right now.

BisonFan02
July 29th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Still hopeful Shaetz can play by the ISU game. Tanguay is going to be very good and Farnlof is very capable. Haven't heard much about Morgan. Wondering if one of the newcomers may lose their redshirt. That would suck but depth is a problem right now.

Shaetz is done...no coming back early from blood clots.

caribbeanhen
July 29th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Did you guys ever track down K state fan? He should never have to pay for a beer in Fargo for the rest of his life!

IBleedYellow
July 29th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Did you guys ever track down K state fan? He should never have to pay for a beer in Fargo for the rest of his life!

:(

Tried. HE ACTUALLY WAS ON CAMPUS LAST YEAR. One of my buddies in the band let me know but by the time I got there he was gone.

BisonFan02
July 29th, 2014, 10:23 PM

Dude rode with me down the Frisco....his life is forever changed.

IBleedYellow
July 30th, 2014, 06:03 AM

The poor kid...I'm surprised you didn't kidnap him for longer than the a few months....OH WAIT.

caribbeanhen
July 30th, 2014, 07:49 PM

how come I'm thinking of a scene from fear and loathing in Las Vegas right now. Haha

IBleedYellow
July 30th, 2014, 08:58 PM
how come I'm thinking of a scene from fear and loathing in Las Vegas right now. Haha

Well...if you can see cardboard cutout in Las Vegas, then...yeah.

BisonFan02
July 31st, 2014, 09:39 AM

Pretty much this.....there was definately no communication in that car... xlolx

Bisonoline
July 31st, 2014, 12:21 PM

Which guy rode with you? The mask guy or the cut out dude or the real cut out?

caribbeanhen
July 31st, 2014, 07:40 PM
Pretty much this.....there was definately no communication in that car... xlolx

ok, I get it now..... that cardboard was bigger than life, how did you fit it in the car?

MplsBison
August 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM

Ideally four guys rotate at the two DT positions, with rep distribution depending on ability, fatigue and situation.

None of those three guys have game experience. Farnlof is coming off injuries and hasn't seen the field while the other two are freshman.

If I was ISU I'd run it up the gut all day long.

BisonFan02
August 1st, 2014, 05:22 PM
ok, I get it now..... that cardboard was bigger than life, how did you fit it in the car?

Truck tailgate with cover...we would let him out occasionally.

- - - Updated - - -

Which guy rode with you? The mask guy or the cut out dude or the real cut out?

Mask guy was too busy training for pee wee football....didnt want to come.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 2nd, 2014, 10:27 AM
Ideally four guys rotate at the two DT positions, with rep distribution depending on ability, fatigue and situation.

None of those three guys have game experience. Farnlof is coming off injuries and hasn't seen the field while the other two are freshman.

If I was ISU I'd run it up the gut all day long.

Typical negative nancy.....xcoffeex

I talked to both Goeser (DL coach) and Riley (OL coach) last weekend and they are excited about how good both of these units are going to be. Yes there will be some young guys but they are really good.

1st half at Iowa State might have some growing pains but both units are going to kick ass in '14.

MplsBison
August 25th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Looks like Schaetz is good to go for Iowa St. Interior DL will be Schaetz and Tanguey with Fairnlof and Morgan getting some reps.

http://www.inforum.com/content/bison-defensive-lineman-schaetz-working-way-back-surgery-blood-clot

As far as the OL goes, my prediction in post #2 is coming to fruition. That's according to the BMB chat last night, per Dom Izzo. Haeg, Hinz, Plankers and Lechler seem to be locked in and now it's between Kelly and Kuhnert for the starting LG spot.

IMO I'd give it to Kelly since he's older and has more experience. Kuhnert last played a game in high school, two years ago. And in fact we've learned more about Kelly recently in that he was offered a scholarship out of high school by NDSU but chose to go to Air Force instead. However he couldn't make it through basic training and decided to accept a partial scholarship offer that year from Minn-Crookston (DII) instead of walking on at NDSU.

So I count Kelly as a scholarship OL, whereas Schueller was a walk-on and the other Zac Johnson was not recruited by NDSU and transferred from VCSU.