PDA

View Full Version : SoCon "re welcomes" VMI

kdinva
June 26th, 2014, 03:18 PM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=209529296

citdog
June 26th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Welcome HOME VMI! You won't see the Silver Shako again for at least 50 years.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2014, 08:52 PM
1979. Last time VMI beat Furman in football.

Sly Fox
June 26th, 2014, 09:21 PM
They didn't exactly light up the Big South while they were gone. But I admit that I will miss Saturdays in Lexington. Great place to enjoy a game.

OL FU
June 27th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Welcome Homexthumbsupx

rokamortis
June 27th, 2014, 06:52 AM
The Big South mourns the loss of VMI.

http://ldssmile.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/oprah-audience.gif

OL FU
June 27th, 2014, 08:25 AM

Hey Rok, are you coming to Gville this year. Would love to meet you before the game when we can taunt each other or afterwards where one of us can gloat.

kdinva
June 27th, 2014, 08:30 AM

you should, the Big South just lost the only Top-100 college in that Forbes 1,000 list.......

DFW HOYA
June 27th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Well, there's always Monmouth.

CID1990
June 27th, 2014, 09:48 AM
you should, the Big South just lost the only Top-100 college in that Forbes 1,000 list.......

Well, at least they are retaining the #2 Most Holy College in America and the #7 Best College to Date a Hooters Girl and Live at Myrtle Beach College

citdog
June 27th, 2014, 10:48 AM

With VMI gone all you have left are religious fanatics and Upper Conway Lower Aynor.

- - - Updated - - -

With VMI gone all you have left are religious fanatics and Upper Conway Lower Aynor.

ThompsonThe
June 27th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Always missed VMI when they left, glad to see them back in the SoCon.

citdog
June 27th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Always missed VMI when they left, glad to see them back in the SoCon.

NOBODY misses you. ONLY 4 MORE DAYS UNTIL YOU ARE GONE! GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH.

52-28

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 27th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Trading VMI for Kennesaw State isn't too bad a deal.

AshevilleApp2
June 27th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Well, at least they are retaining the #2 Most Holy College in America and the #7 Best College to Date a Hooters Girl and Live at Myrtle Beach College

Given that choice, I'd take #7 in a heartbeat.

Welcome back where you belong VMI.

CID1990
June 27th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Given that choice, I'd take #7 in a heartbeat.

Welcome back where you belong VMI.

The problem is that is its highest ranking in ANY category

catamount man
June 27th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Welcome back VMI!

Go...gate
June 27th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Congratulations to VMI. I had hoped they would join the Patriot League.

kdinva
June 29th, 2014, 09:01 AM
fine news article!

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/a-homecoming-for-the-keydets/article_fb8e07e6-ff2f-11e3-8757-001a4bcf6878.html

Saint3333
June 29th, 2014, 11:43 AM
CUSA did something pretty classy by thanking ECU and others that are leaving for the memorable games and the time they spent there. Wonder if we'll see anything from the SoCon in regards to App, DC, and GSU?

The SoCon took a chance on an up and comer in App in the 70's, lots of great memories during that time. Thanks SoCon for the opportunity.

Apphole
June 29th, 2014, 11:46 AM
CUSA did something pretty classy by thanking ECU and others that are leaving for the memorable games and the time they spent there. Wonder if we'll see anything from the SoCon in regards to App, DC, and GSU?

The SoCon took a chance on an up and comer in App in the 70's, lots of great memories during that time. Thanks SoCon for the opportunity.
Doubt it considering the league's history of officials taking shots at App and Southern.

I'm sure the girls I've dumped over the years don't have anything nice to say about me.

CID1990
June 29th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Hey look at the twin sob sisters trying to hijack a thread about VMI!

Yeah you guys really are misunderstood.

They already tired of you over at the sun blet bbw?

walliver
June 29th, 2014, 08:17 PM

That's probably because every single team in CUSA would like to follow ECU to the AAC.

PaladinFan
June 30th, 2014, 06:37 AM
That's probably because every single team in CUSA would like to follow ECU to the AAC.

There's also a slight distinction between the conference doing something to recognize the contributions and fans doing the same. After years of "SoCon sucks" discussion on this forum, you will have to excuse us if we don't throw you a going away party (other than shelacking your football team this season).

Saint3333
June 30th, 2014, 08:17 AM
App fans were harsh on the SoCon the last few years. I have been very critical of the SoCon leadership, especially their handling of the TV deal (or lack thereof).

However App's administration has been helpful to the conference during that time and very upfront about their intentions (more so than any other program that left).

Jiggs
June 30th, 2014, 10:28 AM

PaladinFan
June 30th, 2014, 11:08 AM
App fans were harsh on the SoCon the last few years. I have been very critical of the SoCon leadership, especially their handling of the TV deal (or lack thereof).

However App's administration has been helpful to the conference during that time and very upfront about their intentions (more so than any other program that left).

The reality is that you and others thought App was too big a fish and too small a pond. That's fine. I don't begrudge you that. They probably are. I do not personally think App State and GSU were as superior to their competition as their fans think they were (the scoreboard does suggests otherwise).

My opinion is that you aren't going to find a receptive crowd on this forum, most of whom endured one bandwagon fan after another come here and trash the conference that helped make App State relevant. At the end of the day, the move is probably better for everyone. I like the moves the SoCon has made to replace the departed. I'm sure you are happy to have moved on. It's a sad way to end a great rivalry, but all good things must eventually come to an end.

citdog
June 30th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I'll be having a Mint Julep at 12:01 EDT to celebrate the departure of the malcontents and to welcome the aspirants.

Apphole
June 30th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I'll be having a Mint Julep at 12:01 EDT to celebrate the departure of the malcontents and to welcome the aspirants.

And our tens of thousands of fans will be tapping kegs in celebration of our promotion.

citdog
June 30th, 2014, 11:40 AM
And our tens of thousands of fans will be tapping kegs in celebration of our promotion.

I don't think you know what promotion means. I have no doubt that some sisters and cousins will be cornholed this evening. But that is no different from any other evening in the Appalachian family.

Saint3333
June 30th, 2014, 01:00 PM
The reality App views athletics as an avenue to market the university. The SoCon no longer provided that, from my perspective the SoCon leadership is a big reason for that.

No one is asking the fans here to provide anything, just pointing out a classy act by another conference.

kdinva
June 30th, 2014, 01:02 PM
.....I have no doubt that some sisters and cousins will be cornholed this evening. But that is no different from any other evening in the Appalachian family.

xlmaox

will that include their honorary alumnus, Ned Beatty?

PaladinFan
June 30th, 2014, 02:38 PM
The reality App views athletics as an avenue to market the university. The SoCon no longer provided that, from my perspective the SoCon leadership is a big reason for that.

No one is asking the fans here to provide anything, just pointing out a classy act by another conference.

Go Furman's route. Take out an ad in the NY Times congratulating some important Furman contributors, such as Clint Dempsey, star of the now wildly popular US Men's National Team, and Alex Stubb, now Prime Minister of Finland.

https://twitter.com/Furmannews/status/483257251080044544/photo/1

Sometimes you just gotta grab the bull by the horns.

Smitty
June 30th, 2014, 02:40 PM

They were classy because ECU was the flagship program of that conference. App was great in the SoCon , brought good seasons and championships, but they were not the only school that did well. You have 5 other schools that really contributed to make the conference strong. Unfortunately the majority of App fans just see it as "me me me" and just kick the rest of the conference down when they can. Honestly just make your move and recognize that the rest of us helped shape you into the power house you are.

Especially Western, I mean we really just let you win all of those games out of the kindness of our own hearts...

Saint3333
June 30th, 2014, 03:05 PM
ECU, the flagship? Houston, SMU, Tulsa, etc.

OL FU
June 30th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Dear ASU, Thanks for the memories. You were wonderful.

SoConxnodx

Does this mean we are going to have to go back and thank Clempscum tooxblehx

;)

Really this has turned kinda nutz but oh well.

Smitty
June 30th, 2014, 05:03 PM
ECU, the flagship? Houston, SMU, Tulsa, etc.

SMU did something bad at one time right? Houston was relevant recently once, and Tulsa is probably big where ever the school is located...

Milktruck74
June 30th, 2014, 07:30 PM

Enjoy celebrating that December 9th bowl game every 5th year.... Welcome to irrelevance!!!

CID1990
July 1st, 2014, 12:47 AM

well then go point it out on the sun blet bbw if you aren't already in super secret douche timeout there

seantaylor
July 1st, 2014, 01:39 AM
The reality is that you and others thought App was too big a fish and too small a pond. That's fine. I don't begrudge you that. They probably are. I do not personally think App State and GSU were as superior to their competition as their fans think they were (the scoreboard does suggests otherwise).

My opinion is that you aren't going to find a receptive crowd on this forum, most of whom endured one bandwagon fan after another come here and trash the conference that helped make App State relevant. At the end of the day, the move is probably better for everyone. I like the moves the SoCon has made to replace the departed. I'm sure you are happy to have moved on. It's a sad way to end a great rivalry, but all good things must eventually come to an end.

The scoreboard suggests otherwise? 9 national championships and 20+ Socon championships say otherwise. I seriously hope you were trying to be amusing.

PaladinFan
July 1st, 2014, 06:21 AM
The scoreboard suggests otherwise? 9 national championships and 20+ Socon championships say otherwise. I seriously hope you were trying to be amusing.

Two rebuttal points.

http://youtu.be/cfdGeghaNsI

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=264425

Saint3333
July 1st, 2014, 07:52 AM
well then go point it out on the sun blet bbw if you aren't already in super secret douche timeout there

Classy as always.

The Sun Belt has been very professional thanking outgoing members and welcoming new ones. You can argue which conference is better, RPI would indicate one over the other. But the professionalism and proactive action by the SBC leadership is clearly superior.

Good bye SoCon, thanks for the opportunity and good luck returning the premier FCS conference I knew while I was in school.

CID1990
July 1st, 2014, 08:02 AM
Classy as always.

The Sun Belt has been very professional thanking outgoing members and welcoming new ones. You can argue which conference is better, RPI would indicate one over the other. But the professionalism and proactive action by the SBC leadership is clearly superior.

Good bye SoCon, thanks for the opportunity and good luck returning the premier FCS conference I knew while I was in school.

classy says the guy who drops into a random thread to troll

have you noticed anyone lamenting your departure?

at least Marshall fans cut the cord when they left- you guys seem to be having a tougher time of it

walliver
July 1st, 2014, 08:33 AM
Now that VMI is back, how long will we have to wait before Citdog, who has waxed eloquently about the restoration of the Citadel's bromance with VMI, returns to his old ways of telling us repeatedly what an effeminate institution it is?

I will miss ASU and GSU. I remember that there are two other schools that left, but I've forgotten who they were.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 1st, 2014, 09:04 AM
Two rebuttal points.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=264425

One season doesn't erase two schools winning at least a share of 14 of the 15 SoCon football championships since Marshall left. That's a level of domination that even Davidson and the top basketball programs can't claim.

That's beside the point, though. It has nothing to do with us being "too good" for this league. It is obvious that GSU/App have different ideas about the purpose of athletics than most of the rest of the league. But if you guys are satisfied with VMI being a top choice for inclusion and don't have a problem with the SLC and Big South in your rear-view mirrors for football then who am I to judge? All the more reason this divorce could be best for everyone.

PaladinFan
July 1st, 2014, 09:46 AM
One season doesn't erase two schools winning at least a share of 14 of the 15 SoCon football championships since Marshall left. That's a level of domination that even Davidson and the top basketball programs can't claim.

That's beside the point, though. It has nothing to do with us being "too good" for this league. It is obvious that GSU/App have different ideas about the purpose of athletics than most of the rest of the league. But if you guys are satisfied with VMI being a top choice for inclusion and don't have a problem with the SLC and Big South in your rear-view mirrors for football then who am I to judge? All the more reason this divorce could be best for everyone.

I'd come to the same conclusion too if my school finished behind a host of other schools a fraction in size despite overwhelming recruiting advantages in every sport. :)

Joking aside, I'm sad to see them go. I won't miss some of the nincompoops on this forum, but I'll miss the games and the rivalry.

walliver
July 1st, 2014, 10:23 AM

I hope you aren't one of those crazy ex-girlfriends who will stalk us for years.

The divorce is final. The good times are done ... the bad times are done.

It's interesting you mention basketball since GSU leaves the conference with 0 championships. And mighty ASU has 2 (1979 and 2000) (And the 2 schools who went to the CAA have a total of 1 between the 2).

As for football "domination" - for the last decade, most of that has been ASU's recent run.
In fact, for the last ten years that both schools were eligible, Wofford has more SoCon championships than GSU (4-3).
Since Marshall left, Wofford and Furman have won a total of 8 SoCon championships. Yes, 8 is less than 14, but it's not like we have nothing left but also-rans.
All of the returning members, other than WCU and the Citadel, have won a SoCon championship in that time frame (even if counting ASU and GSU games last year). Actually within the last 2 years, also.
Obviously, by shifting dates and criteria, you can come up with quite different numbers; but, by and large, I think we will be OK.

Have a good life in your new home.