PDA

View Full Version : SIU Picks Up MLB And Punter

underdawg
June 23rd, 2014, 10:09 PM
Middle Linebacker Mike Cotton 6'1" 224 sophomore transfer from Northern Illinois--three star rivals--from O'Fallon Illinois

Derek Mathewson 6'1" 210 Former NAIA All-American Punter from Trinity International---averaged 43.4 yards per punt in 2012, which was second in nation---sat out the 2103 season as a red shirt at SIU.

Bisonator
June 24th, 2014, 08:31 AM
More additions for Transfer U? I see Lennon is still doing a marvelous job of recruiting. xcoffeex

clenz
June 24th, 2014, 08:36 AM
What?

SIU picking up transfers?

Holy hell, that never happens

Oh, wait, they had 28 on their roster last season with 12 of those from FBS schools.

I believe SIU is on pace to have about 30 transfers and 16 FBS transfers next season

Professor Chaos
June 24th, 2014, 08:40 AM
We might need a separate forum for threads relating to FBS transfers headed to SIU, SHSU, and SE Louisiana...

dewey
June 24th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Middle Linebacker Mike Cotton 6'1" 224 sophomore transfer from Northern Illinois--three star rivals--from O'Fallon Illinois

Derek Mathewson 6'1" 210 Former NAIA All-American Punter from Trinity International---averaged 43.4 yards per punt in 2012, which was second in nation---sat out the 2103 season as a red shirt at SIU.

Is the middle linebacker transferring for playing time? The punter looks like a good addition. Why did he transfer? Did he have to sit out last year since he transferred into SIU? I can’t recall but do players have to sit out if they transfer 'up'?

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 24th, 2014, 09:13 AM
SIU's defense will be tough this year IMO. They had a lot of underclassmen start last year. Now Lennon is taking over the DC position.

SIU could challenge for the Valley title this year.

underdawg
June 24th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Is the middle linebacker transferring for playing time? The punter looks like a good addition. Why did he transfer? Did he have to sit out last year since he transferred into SIU? I can’t recall but do players have to sit out if they transfer 'up'?

Dewey

MLB is from nearby O'Fallon and was hurt--redshirted after that at NIU last season---was number two LB before hurt has two years eligibility

Punter was NAIA All- American as a Sophomore in 2012--sat out redshirt year in 2013 and has two years left to play--SIU coaches have had good luck scouting out D-2, NAIA talent (they have to set out a year like FCS players)--Ken Boatright the All-Conference DE we had a few years ago was a D-2 SS till our coaches and Strength men made him into a DE--also our All-American (pre-season) Place kicker Thomas Kinney is originally from Winnona State (D-2)--I guess they transferred here because they realize they can play at the D-1 level and we gave them a chance to do so.

underdawg
June 24th, 2014, 03:37 PM
SIU's defense will be tough this year IMO. They had a lot of underclassmen start last year. Now Lennon is taking over the DC position.

SIU could challenge for the Valley title this year.

Could be in top three or four--I depends on how much everyone else improved in the league

Houndawg
June 24th, 2014, 05:08 PM
MLB is from nearby O'Fallon and was hurt--redshirted after that at NIU last season---was number two LB before hurt has two years eligibility

Punter was NAIA All- American as a Sophomore in 2012--sat out redshirt year in 2013 and has two years left to play--SIU coaches have had good luck scouting out D-2, NAIA talent (they have to set out a year like FCS players)--Ken Boatright the All-Conference DE we had a few years ago was a D-2 SS till our coaches and Strength men made him into a DE--also our All-American (pre-season) Place kicker Thomas Kinney is originally from Winnona State (D-2)--I guess they transferred here because they realize they can play at the D-1 level and we gave them a chance to do so.

I think he walked on from an NAIA school. The Seahawks must have liked him to keep him around last year injured.

Edit, he was released last week, but he's taking a superbowl ring with him

Houndawg
June 24th, 2014, 05:10 PM
What?

Oh, wait, they had 28 on their roster last season with 12 of those from FBS schools.

I believe SIU is on pace to have about 30 transfers and 16 FBS transfers next season

Do you think that transfers are the reason we've been beating UNI like a rented mule for years now?

Houndawg
June 24th, 2014, 05:17 PM
More additions for Transfer U? I see Lennon is still doing a marvelous job of recruiting. xcoffeex

The recruiting is getting better - the problem was coaching, DL was too loyal to his staff.

Bisonator
June 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM
The recruiting is getting better - the problem was coaching, DL was too loyal to his staff.

Is that what he's selling you guys down there? xlolx

Houndawg
June 24th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Is that what he's selling you guys down there? xlolx

No, just my personal opinion. Actually I've been impressed with how he hasn't been making excuses.

underdawg
June 25th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Bisonator is doing his "Transfers are a sign of weakness" troll thing--- which is fine, but be aware--there are more reasonable , great Bison fans on here to talk to.

SIUSalukiFan
June 25th, 2014, 11:40 PM
What?

We're really lucky to always face UNI when 3/4 of what should be a national championship team is injured.

Bisonator
June 26th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Bisonator is doing his "Transfers are a sign of weakness" troll thing--- which is fine, but be aware--there are more reasonable , great Bison fans on here to talk to.

Look when certain programs continue to bring in more transfers then most prepare for the comments about being Transfer U! It's one thing to bring in a transfer or 2 to plug a hole or add depth at a spot but to rely on transfers every year does not work. Can't take the jabs ignore them. Just having some off season fun.xpeacex

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 26th, 2014, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=Houndawg;2117826]The recruiting is getting better - the problem was coaching, DL was too loyal to his staff.[/QUOTE

Coach Lennon and Bubba run the same type of 3-4. I don't think the defense will change much now that Lennon is calling the defense.

SIU's new coaches having something to prove this year....just like the Bison's new coaches.

AmsterBison
June 26th, 2014, 02:29 PM
We're really lucky to always face UNI when 3/4 of what should be a national championship team is injured.

How would a UNI fan even recognize a championship-level team? Or does all the experience getting beat by them help?

/burn

underdawg
June 26th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Bison Fan in Minn: I think Lennon's 3-4 will not be as vanilla as Bubba's---Lennon ( as Houndawg inferred) let Bubba and the former offensive coordinator kind of do their own thing and it ended up biting him in the butt--now Lennon will run the 3-4 his way as the Defensive coordinator --more blitzes from so many angles it will make your head swim--When he hired Bubba, Lennon promised him that he would get to run it his way, but it didn't work out. Lennon is having fun right now running it the Lennon way, and if it will show when we play you guys.

As far as the offense is concerned be ready for a power running game quite similar in scope (if not personnel) to what the Bison put on the field. O'Boyle, the 2013 Offensive Line Coach will also be the Offensive Coordinator--he's been both a head coach and Offensive Coordinator already and will run lots of sets which are also similar to the power game Jerry Kill (now Minnesota Head) ran here from 2000-07.

skinny_uncle
June 28th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I'm thinking this year should very interesting.