PDA

View Full Version : NBCSN Ivy League Rights Not Extended

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
Source: Ivy League rights w/NBCSN were not extended. Previous two year extension ended in May.

Ivy League is in discussions re: rightsholders. No idea who/what the outcome is.

Very, very interesting.

Sader87
June 23rd, 2014, 09:27 AM
So this is the last year for the Ivies on NBCSN? Source?

I'm kind of surprised....don't all these new networks basically need programming? What will they put on instead?

Bogus Megapardus
June 23rd, 2014, 09:30 AM
Very, very interesting.

LFN, maybe you could pry some info out of Matt Panto. He'd know what's going on.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2014, 09:37 AM
One thing also to wonder if this is a canary in the coalmine regarding something with the CAA and NBCSN.

Looks like NBCSN has decided that EPL and international soccer is their ticket to the good life and at least are shoving the IL to the side.

clenz
June 23rd, 2014, 11:52 AM
NBCSN may lose the EPL after this year if they aren't aggressive with their bid though. ESPN is seeing these world cup ratings and might want the EPL back but do it right this time around

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

walliver
June 23rd, 2014, 12:08 PM
This is probably the start of a trend. Rumors are that C-USA will take a big cut with it's next contract. I suspect the. CAA is in for the same.

Future success for the ESPN wannabes is probably going to either be Big 5 football, or non-football programming.

DFW HOYA
June 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
This is probably the start of a trend. Rumors are that C-USA will take a big cut with it's next contract. I suspect the. CAA is in for the same. Future success for the ESPN wannabes is probably going to either be Big 5 football, or non-football programming.

Which is why the Big East moving to Fox Sports1 was a stroke of genius. The BE schools get $4.2 million each just for basketball while the AAC schools get just $1.8M each (football and basketball combined) from ESPN. C-USA ($1.2M) and the Belt ($1M) get even less.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2014, 12:37 PM
Which is why the Big East moving to Fox Sports1 was a stroke of genius. The BE schools get $4.2 million each just for basketball while the AAC schools get just $1.8M each (football and basketball combined) from ESPN. C-USA ($1.2M) and the Belt ($1M) get even less.

A stroke of genius for the New Big East, maybe, not so much for FS1, which now has a hodgepodge of different college sports programming and doesn't really have a dominant market position in anything.

Wait until those B1G payouts go down when Fox decides they're going to turn off the spigot of money. Enough loss leaders like FS1 and it could happen.

DFW HOYA
June 23rd, 2014, 01:20 PM
FS1 is happy with the Big East--after one year it's already passed ESPNU and already approaches ESPN2 in viewership.

In the long run, don't bet against Fox. (Ask CNN.)

But as for the Ivy on NBCSN, does it make sense anymore? Two announcers, 10-12 support personnel, an 18 wheeler for the satellite truck, all for a game with 5,000 in the stands and a 0.0 on the ratings. If people want the Ivy, they can find it on the IL Network.

centennial
June 23rd, 2014, 01:30 PM
FS1 is happy with the Big East--after one year it's already passed ESPNU and already approaches ESPN2 in viewership.

But as for the Ivy on NBCSN, does it make sense anymore? Two announcers, 10-12 support personnel, an 18 wheeler for the satellite truck, all for a game with 5,000 in the stands and a 0.0 on the ratings. If people want the Ivy, they can find it on the IL Network.
I wonder if FS1 or any other network will pick up the Ivy League.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2014, 01:31 PM

1. The dirty little secret is that the great majority of college football games notch 0.0 on the national ratings anyway, including pretty much all the BTN offerings, the regional Fox College Sports, the Comcast Sports Net's.

2. The Ivies are in the rare spot where they don't require the networks to funnel them money - they can essentially pay to broadcast the games themselves with their billion-dollar endowments. NBCSN is essentially getting the broadcasts for free. That means NBCSN is dropping the Ivy League so they can generate more ad revenue with NASCAR and the EPL. All the Ivies care about is a national platform for the game that's on most cable/satellite systems.

3. Given this I'd speculate that the Ivies will offer their free package to ESPN and start playing more games on Friday nights. The only question is whether the Ivies burned any bridges by leaving ESPN initially.

4. NBCSN doesn't pay anything to get the CAA's football/basketball content either (I believe). So if they're booting the IL you have to at least wonder whether the CAA will be affected too.

bluehenbillk
June 23rd, 2014, 02:25 PM
The CAA's deal with NBCSN runs through the 2016 season for football & 2016-17 for basketball.

Go Green
June 23rd, 2014, 02:34 PM
The only question is whether the Ivies burned any bridges by leaving ESPN initially.

That was what, 25 years ago?

If anyone from ESPN is listening, we're sorry.

:)

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2014, 02:40 PM
That was what, 25 years ago?

If anyone from ESPN is listening, we're sorry.

:)

I thought that ESPN had a quasi-deal with the Ivies in regards to certain football games + some postseason tournaments no more than four years ago, that the move to NBCSN ended.

Go Green
June 23rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
I thought that ESPN had a quasi-deal with the Ivies in regards to certain football games + some postseason tournaments no more than four years ago, that the move to NBCSN ended.

You're much more knowledgeable about these things than I am. So if you think that happened, it probably did.

But in the late 1980s, the Ivies did have a multi-year contract with then-fledging ESPN. At some point, ESPN wanted the Ivy to start playing games on Thursday nights. We said "hell, no." ESPN found other conferences more than happy to accommodate.

And the rest... is history.

Sader87
June 23rd, 2014, 07:29 PM
I remember when Ivy games were on PBS....I kid you not. Early/mid 1980s....a young Sean McDonough did the games I believe.

RichH2
June 23rd, 2014, 08:02 PM
So young,sadly I remember Ivy on PBS NY back in the 60s.

walliver
June 23rd, 2014, 08:04 PM
I suspect the whole TV sports market will change over the next few years.

Sports rights have value in that most people watch sports live and can't fast forward through the commercials. This has led to a recent flurry in sports rights acquisitions. At some point, the suits holding the pursestrings are going to have to ask themselves "Of what value are the rights to the 10th most popular game in a particular time slot?" On any given saturday, there is a fixed number of TV viewers wishing to watch college football. The majority of them want to watch "big games" such as USC-Notre Dame, Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-Ohio State, Texas-Oklahoma etc. Ad sales for the "lesser games" are nil, Most of the revenue for these broadcast is related for the fees paid by the cable and satellite companies to the content providers. Unless the non-ESPN providers can provide popular content, cable/satellite companies may drop these channels. In college football terms, it means a deal with a P5 conference. Otherwise, the FS1, CBSSN, and NBCSN will most likely seek out non-college-football sports to maintain their relevance.

The TV future for Gang of 5 FBS football is playing on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights (and if that turns out to be profitable, the big boys will try to take that). The future for FCS is streaming video. Unfortunately, ESPN3 is not the right model. It is interesting technology and carries the ESPN cachet, but it is far from ready for prime-time. The ideal model is one where video can be streamed not only to computers, but also to smartphones, Roku boxes, PS3/PS4's and Xboxes, and smart TV's.

MplsBison
June 23rd, 2014, 08:21 PM

Or the AAC, CUSA and SB schools switch over to FS1 and even out the money.

- - - Updated - - -

A stroke of genius for the New Big East, maybe, not so much for FS1, which now has a hodgepodge of different college sports programming and doesn't really have a dominant market position in anything.

Wait until those B1G payouts go down when Fox decides they're going to turn off the spigot of money. Enough loss leaders like FS1 and it could happen.

Or they'll just do whatever the SEC and PAC are doing. I don't think their TV channels have 50% network partners.

MplsBison
June 23rd, 2014, 08:22 PM

Exactly.

Internet streaming is acceptable for minor league college football (5k attendance, no scholarships, etc.).

MplsBison
June 23rd, 2014, 08:24 PM
1. The dirty little secret is that the great majority of college football games notch 0.0 on the national ratings anyway, including pretty much all the BTN offerings, the regional Fox College Sports, the Comcast Sports Net's.

2. The Ivies are in the rare spot where they don't require the networks to funnel them money - they can essentially pay to broadcast the games themselves with their billion-dollar endowments. NBCSN is essentially getting the broadcasts for free. That means NBCSN is dropping the Ivy League so they can generate more ad revenue with NASCAR and the EPL. All the Ivies care about is a national platform for the game that's on most cable/satellite systems.

3. Given this I'd speculate that the Ivies will offer their free package to ESPN and start playing more games on Friday nights. The only question is whether the Ivies burned any bridges by leaving ESPN initially.

4. NBCSN doesn't pay anything to get the CAA's football/basketball content either (I believe). So if they're booting the IL you have to at least wonder whether the CAA will be affected too.

Please, BTN and Fox Sports Net games with P5 teams player get higher than 0.0.

Ivytalk
June 25th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. Harvard-Yale will be televised somehow, somewhere.

ThompsonThe
June 25th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Always thought that Harvard -vs- Yale should be nationally televised just as
the Army -vs- Navy games are.

MplsBison
June 25th, 2014, 07:20 PM

There is no "should be" in national television. Only ratings.

Go Green
June 29th, 2014, 02:55 PM

H-Y has been on national television for quite some time now. Was always the Versus/NBCSN game for the season finale, and was also on channels such as WGN before that.

Go...gate
June 29th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I remember when Ivy games were on PBS....I kid you not. Early/mid 1980s....a young Sean McDonough did the games I believe.

Marty Glickman and Bob Casciola, too.

RichH2
June 29th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Glickman my era. Did HS sports on Wpix also

Go...gate
June 30th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Glickman my era. Did HS sports on Wpix also

Yep. WPIX High School Game Of The Week with Marty Glickman and Aubrey Lewis (whom my Aunt taught in Second Grade in Montclair, NJ).

Saturday games from NY and NJ and, on Thanksgiving Day, traditional matchups like Iona Prep-New Rochelle, Bloomfield-Montclair and others.

RichH2
June 30th, 2014, 08:30 AM
OK. well GO we've established that we're old😄

Go...gate
July 1st, 2014, 11:18 PM
OK. well GO we've established that we're old

I'm afraid so.....

bulldog10jw
July 2nd, 2014, 10:51 AM

Which doesn't make me as happy as it used to.

Sader87
July 2nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
There's a great documentary on Marty Glickman on HBO.....the posters up this thread should definitely check it out.

RichH2
July 2nd, 2014, 12:53 PM
There's a great documentary on Marty Glickman on HBO.....the posters up this thread should definitely check it out.

Saw it. You're right for any who haven't seen it worthwhile. Reminded me of listening to his call in sports show.

Bogus Megapardus
July 2nd, 2014, 03:30 PM

Always thought that Harvard -vs- Yale should be nationally televised just as the Army -vs- Navy games are.

Harvard-Yale always will be available for anyone who wants to watch it. It might not be there by accident when you're surfing through cable with with the remote, but it will be readily available to anyone looking for it.

Anyone with an Ivy education knows how to plug an HD stream of the game into their widescreen - even if it's not commercially "broadcast."

Plus you can bet that H-Y will be "commercially" broadcast this year since L-L will be commercially broadcast. They'd never live that one down.

bulldog10jw
July 2nd, 2014, 04:26 PM
Plus you can bet that H-Y will be "commercially" broadcast this year since L-L will be commercially broadcast. They'd never live that one down.

Except for bonarae, Ivytalk, and myself, I doubt anyone connected to Harvard or Yale would give it a second thought.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 2nd, 2014, 04:31 PM
Except for bonarae, Ivytalk, and myself, I doubt anyone connected to Harvard or Yale would give it a second thought.

I've got to believe that a Lehigh/Lafayette 150th game on some national outlet of sports TV, in front of more than 50,000 fans, and fans not being about to receive a broadcast of Harvard/Yale anywhere without a computer, has to be embarrassing to someone, somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, though: thanks, Harvard! Thanks, Yale! Thanks, Robin Harris!

Bogus Megapardus
July 2nd, 2014, 07:38 PM

Matt Panto (http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/information/directory/bios/matt_panto) will give it a "second thought." Matt is the Assistant Executive Director for Digital Media and Communications in Robin Harris' office. He's in charge of the entire Ivy League Network. Matt lives on College Hill, he's a Lafayette fan from birth, and he posts on the Lafayette Board. He still comes to every Pard home game and we always say hello. When it come to broadcasts of football games, Matt Panto is the Ivy League.

You'll just have to trust me on this one, bulldog - he'll give a damn.

DFW HOYA
July 3rd, 2014, 07:10 AM
I've got to believe that a Lehigh/Lafayette 150th game on some national outlet of sports TV, in front of more than 50,000 fans, and fans not being about to receive a broadcast of Harvard/Yale anywhere without a computer, has to be embarrassing to someone, somewhere.

To some, perhaps, but Leh-Laf is not a national event outside of these two schools. Harvard-Yale (still) is.

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2014, 07:53 AM
To some, perhaps, but Leh-Laf is not a national event outside of these two schools. Harvard-Yale (still) is.

Well, we know that the Hoya faithful won't be watching but that's always a given. Hoya fans are no more likely to tune into their football conference's premier rivalry game than they are to show up at MSF when Lafayette comes to play. Pretty much no one in either circumstance. You should be proud.

DFW HOYA
July 3rd, 2014, 11:55 AM
Well, we know that the Hoya faithful won't be watching but that's always a given. Hoya fans are no more likely to tune into their football conference's premier rivalry game than they are to show up at MSF when Lafayette comes to play. Pretty much no one in either circumstance. You should be proud.

There are times to play the "Your MSF Is A Dump" card, but this argument isn't well suited to that. Harvard-Yale has a national awareness, if not following, unique among I-AA schools and a truly national following--Lafayette may not have a club in Milwaukee or St. Louis or New Orleans because of its size, but you can guarantee those cities will have alumni watching the H-Y game in numbers because The Game is part of a larger culture, esp. beyond eastern Pennsylvania. To its credit, the Leh-Laf game is part of these school's cultures, just not at the level that H-Y has cultivated over the years.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 3rd, 2014, 11:59 AM
There are times to play the "Your MSF Is A Dump" card, but this argument isn't well suited to that. Harvard-Yale has a national awareness, if not following, unique among I-AA schools and a truly national following--Lafayette may not have a club in Milwaukee or St. Louis or New Orleans because of its size, but you can guarantee those cities will have alumni watching the H-Y game in numbers because The Game is part of a larger culture, esp. beyond eastern Pennsylvania. To its credit, the Leh-Laf game is part of these school's cultures, just not at the level that H-Y has cultivated over the years.

This might be hard to justify if Leh/Laf 150 is on a major cable outlet and Harvard/Yale is not.

Furthermore, the mere act of NBCSN dropping coverage of the Ivy League (of which for sure Havard/Yale football was its crown jewel) further contradicts this fact.

If the Ivy League gets a national TV deal together with someone else, great, or if H/Y football gets a one-time national deal with, say, TBS or WGN, that's great, too. But if they don't, what does that say over the cultivated culture of H/Y, and where it stands?

DFW HOYA
July 3rd, 2014, 12:08 PM
This might be hard to justify if Leh/Laf 150 is on a major cable outlet and Harvard/Yale is not.

For #150, sure. #151, not so much.

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2014, 12:46 PM

Correct - We're much smaller. So far only a few local clubs have confirmed their telecast parties for #150 - Los Angeles, CA, Sacramento, CA, Hartford, CT, Denver, CO, Washington, DC, Boca Raton, FL, Sarasota, FL, Princeton, NJ, Albany, NY, Greenville, SC, Austin, TX, and Dallas, TX among them. In all there will be only about 70 Lafayette clubs in various cities, mostly in the U.S., Europe and Australia, where alums will gather to watch. Hardly the global numbers that Georgetown will sport for their barnburner vs. Dayton.

But that's not really the point. The point is, Georgetown could spend $50 Million in MSF and give away free tickets and beer and no one (except Lafayette fans) would show up to see Lafayette play there.

DFW HOYA
July 3rd, 2014, 01:25 PM
But that's not really the point. The point is, Georgetown could spend $50 Million in MSF and give away free tickets and beer and no one (except Lafayette fans) would show up to see Lafayette play there.

Except that the home stands accommodate 1,600 of the 2,400 seats (OK, not exactly seats, but you get the idea....) and these are generally Georgetown fans. In two of the last three years, the game has sold out, and those home stands were full. Last year it wasn't close, but it was late in the season and the die was cast on 2013.

I've been vocal about how Georgetown failed on the MSF, but the PL missed the boat as well by a) not pushing for Georgetown's implied commitment to a new facility, and b) not establishing a minimum capacity across all schools that can comfortably hold visitor crowds. (One wonders what the Harvard fans will think when they lay sight of those well-worn, ten year old temporary wooden bleachers that await them this October. Maybe that's why Harvard isn't showing the game on the Ivy Digital Network.)

Or is there no league-wide enforcement on facilities? If Georgetown simply took own the east stands and made visitor seating standing room only (as Davidson did for years at Richardson Stadium), would anyone at the PL office object?

As for the $50M, that's in those gold bars buried underneath the MSF for the new Clinton Stadium in time for that Ivy League invite. Don't tell anyone... xlolx

http://www.dcunited.com/sites/dc/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2014/02/NewRendering_Feb2014.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
July 3rd, 2014, 02:25 PM
League-wide enforcement of facilities are very much a double-edged sword. For example, the CAA's enforcement of their min facilities requirement basically forced Monmouth to the Big South at a time when the CAA could have used an up-and-coming hoops program with FCS football. It may even force Monmouth to the Patriot League at some point in the future.

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2014, 08:32 PM
Monmouth to the Patriot League.

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2014, 08:52 PM
In two of the last three years, the game has sold out, and those home stands were full. Last year it wasn't close, but it was late in the season and the die was cast on 2013.

Georgetown is apt to do little to nothing by way of institutional support for a PL game. Making even the smallest effort to emphasize and underscore the rich football traditions of the PL schools is anathema, with Lafayette perhaps being the worst offender. I'd go so far as to say that it's important to Georgetown (for a variety of reasons) not to give a damn about the Leopards. Remarkably enough, such is not the case at Penn, Harvard or Princeton.

The PL missed the boat as well by a) not pushing for Georgetown's implied commitment to a new facility, and b) not establishing a minimum capacity across all schools that can comfortably hold visitor crowds.

I'm thinking that the PL considers Georgetown to be a big boy; a self-starter. It ought to be capable of taking care of its business without some sort of overarching, executive coercion.

Ivytalk
July 6th, 2014, 02:12 PM
xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

There goes ye olde neighborhood.

Bogus Megapardus
July 6th, 2014, 04:31 PM
There goes ye olde neighborhood.

I'm sure that Monmouth has its sights set much higher than the lowly PL.

RichH2
July 6th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I'm sure that Monmouth has its sights set much higher than the lowly PL.

I certainly hope so.

Bogus Megapardus
July 8th, 2014, 04:31 PM
These were posted recently on the Ivy Board:

Princeton, ESPN Renew Rights Agreement Through 2019

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=209387627

Ivy League Using Digital Networks to Broaden Exposure

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20140620/SPORTS03/306200043/Ivy-League-America-East-using-digital-networks-broaden-exposure

Perhaps Ivy will rely on the growth of its Digital Network while accommodating each individual school's separate broadcast deals. This would not be helpful for some members, IMHO.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 8th, 2014, 04:46 PM
These were posted recently on the Ivy Board:

Princeton, ESPN Renew Rights Agreement Through 2019

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=209387627

Ivy League Using Digital Networks to Broaden Exposure

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20140620/SPORTS03/306200043/Ivy-League-America-East-using-digital-networks-broaden-exposure

Perhaps Ivy will rely on the growth of its Digital Network while accommodating each individual school's separate broadcast deals. This would not be helpful for some members, IMHO.

These two parallel releases cannot be a coincidence.

Bogus Megapardus
July 8th, 2014, 06:13 PM
These two parallel releases cannot be a coincidence.

Perhaps Ivy might consider dropping its fee for the Digital Network. I always paid the LSN fee (even though football and basketball already were on local television) but there were some who just wouldn't do it even though (a) they could afford it and (b) it cost less than Friday night at Hillbilly Hall. Now it's all free for PL fans across the board. If there's any FCS conference that can afford free streaming it's Ivy.

I realize that, like the PL, they stream a lot more than just football and basketball (i.e., soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, track, wrestling, ice hockey, baseball, volleyball, etc.) and that there's a cost to all that. But isn't the point to get folks to watch and to recognize the breadth of Ivy sports?

RichH2
July 8th, 2014, 06:24 PM
xdontknowxBogie ,cleaned out inbox.Sorry,the maid din't come in this week

DFW HOYA
July 9th, 2014, 07:43 AM

Any parallels with LSN and the PL network?

Bogus Megapardus
July 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Any parallels with LSN and the PL network?

In a convoluted sense perhaps, DFW.

The Lafayette Sports Network was well ahead of the curve by broadcasting all football and basketball games both on local (free) television and via subscription internet stream on CSTV (which became CBSSports.com) using professional on-air talent. LSN later expanded its content to include most other Lafayette sports. LSN's success led to a substantial number of Lafayette games being piped directly to ESPN cable and ESPN3 (due to the high quality of the feed and of the on-air talent). That in turn led to the Patriot League's deal with CBS Sports to broadcast a number of PL football, basketball and lacrosse games on CBS's new 24-hour cable sports system. Then in 2011, the LSN format was extended to the entire Patriot League with the formation of the Patriot League Network. The PLN started from the get-go with free, high-definition streaming of just about all basketball, football and lacrosse games, plus most other league sports as well (baseball, softball, track, soccer, rowing, tennis, field hockey, volleyball, golf), and certain sports emphasized by some members that the PL as a whole does not sponsor (ice hockey, wrestling, fencing, water polo).

After last season, Lafayette's LSN seems to have abandoned its association with the paid subscription streaming provided by CBSSports.com and instead threw its hat in with the PLN. LSN appears to have retained the rights to broadcast on local (free) television; those broadcasts in turn are carried by a number of cable television providers and by Dish Network, Direct TV and FiOS. At the same time, the Patriot League has increased the overall content broadcast nationwide on the CBS Sports Network cable system. However, at least through last season, the individual PL members appeared to remain at liberty to arrange their own local/cable/satellite broadcasts in conjunction with the PLN, but not when it conflicted with CBS Sports' nationwide cable broadcasts.

I don't know about ESPN cable and ESPN3 for this year. Lots of games were picked up by ESPN cable and ESPN3 last season but it remains to be seen if there's still an ESPN carve-out for select PL games going forward.

All of this brings us to the relevant point, which is the Ivy League. Lafayette certainly must have had an advantage in attracting and scheduling Ivy football games over the last decade or so because of the assurance that the game would be available on broadcast, cable and satellite television. In a great number of instances it was an Ivy opponent's only opportunity to appear on TV. This must not have escaped the notice of Ivy Central - last year Ivy hired Lafayette's digital broadcast guru to become the Ivy League's Assistant Athletic Director for Digital Media. Ivy now has the Ivy League Network which is comparable (albeit more limited at present) to the PLN. (Thanks, Ivy. Imitation is the highest form of flattery!)

Princeton has maintained a relationship with ESPN for quite a while. Given the recent announcement about the extension of the ESPN-Princeton contract through 2019, my guess is that Ivy has chosen not to re-up with NBC Sports or to pursue a new league-wide cable network broadcast contract to parallel the ILN. All of this is speculation, of course, but it would seem that each IL member now is free to pursue its own, separate television broadcast agreement while continuing to enjoy the benefit of the ILN streaming service.

So, to answer your query more fully, DFW, it seems to me that Patriot and Ivy have arrived at roughly the same point but through divergent paths. The main differences seem to be that Ivy now lacks a national cable sports agreement (Patriot continues with CBS Sports) and that the Ivy League Network's digital stream is subscription-based while the Patriot League Network started as, and remains, a free service. The PLN also has a number of weekly half-hour wrap-up and commentary shows as well as interview/talk format shows, plus daily league-wide highlight shows during the season. The ILN has yet to announce a similar feature.

Again, all of the above is pure speculation on my part, based only on my observation, without any inside knowledge whatsoever.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2014, 03:44 PM
DFW, it seems to me that Patriot and Ivy have arrived at roughly the same point but through divergent paths. The main differences seem to be that Ivy now lacks a national cable sports agreement (Patriot continues with CBS Sports) and that the Ivy League Network's digital stream is subscription-based while the Patriot League Network started as, and remains, a free service. The PLN also has a number of weekly half-hour wrap-up and commentary shows as well as interview/talk format shows, plus daily league-wide highlight shows during the season. The ILN has yet to announce a similar feature.

I think this states the exact opposite: the PL planned cannily to get to a point where they had a mutually acceptable national broadcast venue; built up online league-wide streaming with a fantastic start-up company thanks to their links with CBS; out-flanked a whole bunch of leagues (including the Ivy) who were still playing with subscription models by going for free streaming; and all the while working together with local providers (LSN, Service Electric, Charter, Time Warner) to work with, build, and expand their offerings so that they appear on local cable TV (and in some cases free TV) with even better quality than before.

To be fair, having two 500 lb gorillas in the form of Army and Navy really, really helped, but the point is that the PL seemed to have an actual strategy and put all the pieces in place to make it happen - even getting some parties to compromise what they had before. I can't speak to the IL's situation specifically, but what seems pretty clear to me is that they didn't really have a very strong strategy to 1) market all of their sports overall, especially football, 2) tying their overall sports brand to a particular TV outlet, and 3) figuring out how streaming was going to work into all of this.

The PL unquestionably out-flanked the IL in all three areas.