PDA

View Full Version : Ivy Games 10/28

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Columbia at Yale: Bulldogs feast on Lion carcasses, 31-7.Nolo contendere.

Princeton at Cornell: Princeton stays undefeated and Cornell stays winless in conference play. I'll guess 28-9.

Brown at Penn: Quakers get back on winning track in low-scoring affair, 17-10.

Harvard at Dartmouth: This could be a trap game for the Crimson, coming off a tough loss at Princeton, but I'll go with Harvard, 28-19.

bulldog10jw
October 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Columbia at Yale: Bulldogs feast on Lion carcasses, 31-7.Nolo contendere.

Princeton at Cornell: Princeton stays undefeated and Cornell stays winless in conference play. I'll guess 28-9.

Brown at Penn: Quakers get back on winning track in low-scoring affair, 17-10.

Harvard at Dartmouth: This could be a trap game for the Crimson, coming off a tough loss at Princeton, but I'll go with Harvard, 28-19.

While I won't pick against Princeton this is a dangerous game. On the road against a team with some talent between two big games with Penn coming up at home next week. Princeton by a TD only(if PU wins big they just might run the table).

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Not sure how Dartmouth can be a trap game... although I do recall Harvard struggling vs. Big Green in 2005.. just an anamoly :twocents:

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2006, 03:29 PM
While I won't pick against Princeton this is a dangerous game. On the road against a team with some talent between two big games with Penn coming up at home next week. Princeton by a TD only(if PU wins big they just might run the table).

bulldog, the Cornell offense scored only 7 against Brown last week and has been erratic in the [big]red zone all year. I don't see PU running the table because they have to play Yale at Yale, and we all know that PU almost always loses to Yale!

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Not sure how Dartmouth can be a trap game... although I do recall Harvard struggling vs. Big Green in 2005.. just an anamoly :twocents:

Pard: Harvard beat Dartmouth soundly last year in Cambridge. Two years ago, however, during Harvard's undefeated season, we beat them by just one point, 13-12. Dartmouth missed a PAT and then missed a two-point conversion with 2 minutes left that would have won the game.

bulldog10jw
October 25th, 2006, 03:39 PM
bulldog, the Cornell offense scored only 7 against Brown last week and has been erratic in the [big]red zone all year. I don't see PU running the table because they have to play Yale at Yale, and we all know that PU almost always loses to Yale!

I was thinking that Cornell may play more like the team that beat Colgate, rather than the team that lost to Brown(and others). Of course, PU would have to help them with miscues and turnovers. You are correct, however. If they don't do a better job inside the 20 than they have so far, at least in their Ivy games, no chance.

By the way, what's the weather supposed to be like back east this weekend.

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I was thinking that Cornell may play more like the team that beat Colgate, rather than the team that lost to Brown(and others). Of course, PU would have to help them with miscues and turnovers. You are correct, however. If they don't do a better job inside the 20 than they have so far, at least in their Ivy games, no chance.

Rain showers are projected for Saturday, with temperatures in the 50s in the Philly area and New Haven and the 40s in Hanover and Ithaca.

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Colgate is pitiful this year... so a Cornell performance from that game might not be good enough to beat the Tigers.

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Pard: Harvard beat Dartmouth soundly last year in Cambridge. Two years ago, however, during Harvard's undefeated season, we beat them by just one point, 13-12. Dartmouth missed a PAT and then missed a two-point conversion with 2 minutes left that would have won the game.

Ah ok, that's the one... knew it was recently..

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Ah ok, that's the one... knew it was recently..

There's been bad blood between Harvard and Dartmouth athletic teams in recent years -- more so for the women than the men, but they always get up for us. That's why I view it as a possible trap game.

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2006, 03:54 PM
There's been bad blood between Harvard and Dartmouth athletic teams in recent years -- more so for the women than the men, but they always get up for us. That's why I view it as a possible trap game.

Why is that? Dartmouth is awful in everything.. except skiing and maybe water polo (i'm guessing), wlax, and sometimes so-so in hockey.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM

mmmmm Ivy Catfight....

(shakes head)

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Why is that? Dartmouth is awful in everything.. except skiing and maybe water polo (i'm guessing), wlax, and sometimes so-so in hockey.

It may be one of those "one-way rivalry" issues. From what I've heard, Dartmouth views Harvard as its big game in football, although Harvard doesn't reciprocate. The women's ice hockey teams hate each other, and they're consistently in the top 5 in the country.

Harvard Worship
October 25th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I don't see PU running the table because they have to play Yale at Yale, and we all know that PU almost always loses to Yale!

sigh, i remember the not-so-distant days when PU almost always lost to Harvard... (and by "days" i mean "decade")

Yeah i never understood why Dartmouth made such a big deal about playing Harvard... Maybe it's because (with the exception of football) their teams are good in the sports we're good in (men's & women's hockey, baseball, W basketball) and bad in the sports we're bad in (mens basketball). So the games are often close... it's either this sensible explanation or the one my Dartmouth-grad friend gave me: "Harvard is the evil empire." Take your pick.

Green26
October 26th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Dartmouth beat undefeated Harvard in 2003, after having won only 2 games prior to that.

Dartmouth is hoping to keep improving, after their win over Columbia last week. Dartmouth has played fairly well in all of its games this year, except UNH, and has been in most games much of the way through the 4th quarter (Colgate, Penn and Holy Cross) and 3rd quarter (Yale).

The Dartmouth and Harvard coaches were high school teammates and are good friends. See below.

Harvard always used to be Dartmouth's chief rival in the old days. I assume they still are now, but don't know. At the time I played (late 60's/early 70's), Dartmouth was in fact Harvard's biggest rivalry, according to the Harvard players I got to know in later life.

Dartmouth's football has been way down since it's undefeated team in 1996, but it's won more Ivy championships (17 in 50 years), has a better overall won-loss record, and had had more first team conference players--than any other team. See below.

Last year, Dartmouth won the conference in women's hoops, men's soccer and men's X-country. Men's hockey was the ECAC champ. Women's lacrosse was third in the nation. Women's soccer went to the ncaa's. In prior recent years, women's hockey was been to the final four a number of times. I think I got these right after skimming the website, but no guarantees.

From Harvard website:

"The game against Dartmouth will be the 110th meeting on the gridiron between the Crimson and Big Green, making the series Harvard's second-most-played rivalry (behind the Harvard-Yale series, which will number 123 playings this season). Harvard has won its last two games against Dartmouth and brings a six-game winning streak against the Big Green on Memorial Field.

To extend those streaks, Harvard head coach Tim Murphy will try to defeat one of his closest friends in Dartmouth head coach Buddy Teevens. The two head coaches were classmates and teammates at Silver Lake High School in Kingston, Mass., and were assistants together at Boston University from 1982-84. Teevens hired Murphy has his offensive coordinator when the former was named head coach at Maine in 1985, and Murphy succeeded Teevens as Black Bear head coach in 1987."

From Dartmouth website:

"Since formal Ivy League round robin play began in 1956, Dartmouth has won the most league games (212) and championships (17 outright or shared). The Big Green has the Ivy's best league won-lost record and has produced the most All-Ivy first team players (186)."

bulldog10jw
October 26th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Harvard always used to be Dartmouth's chief rival in the old days. I assume they still are now, but don't know. At the time I played (late 60's/early 70's), Dartmouth was in fact Harvard's biggest rivalry, according to the Harvard players I got to know in later life.

I know a lot of Yale players felt the same way in those days. The saying at Yale in the '60's and '70's was " the players want to beat Dartmouth, the coaches want to beat Princeton, and the alumni want to beat Harvard". We had all our bases covered.:)

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM
About 15 years ago, Harvard beat Dartmouth 6-5. That's right: the Crimson got 2 FGs, while the Green Indians had a FG and a safety. My best friend's father, a Harvard season ticket holder for 35 years, said it was the worst college FB game he ever saw.:boring: :boring:

Green26
October 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Speaking of low scoring, one of the best games I never saw was Dartmouth's 3-0 victory over Yale in the Bowl, in about 1997. John Carney, the Dartmouth corner who is the Lt. Governor of Delaware, came from across the field, late in the game, to run down Spagnola who had broken away on a shorter pass that was turning into a long play. I'm a defensive guy, so love those defensive battles. I missed the game because, coming into the stadium, I was arrested, handcuffed, and hauled to the New Haven jail in a paddy wagon. Of course, it was a bum rap. The NH cops were fairly nice, and brought a radio to my cell so I could listen to the game. After I finally got bailed out, a cop going off duty saw me hitch-hiking near the jail, and stopped to give me a ride back to the stadium. I was a young lawyer on Wall St. at the time, and this event and another leads to my line that I've only been to court twice in my life, and both times I was the defendant.

Green26
October 27th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Harvard leads the nation in sacks, with 33 (or 36), depending on the source. They have more sacks in 6 games than any other team has in 7 games. The top 5 sack leaders in the conference are from Harvard--4 d-lineman and 1 d-back. Their best d-lineman isn't in the top 5. I think he's about 7th. Harvard's qb is back after a 5-game suspension for unspecified violations of team rules. He played last week too. While I would like my Big Green team to pull an upset, I am unable to figure out how that would occur. Looking only on paper, I don't know how Princeton beat Harvard last week.

Harvard Worship
October 28th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Harvard leads the nation in sacks, with 33 (or 36), depending on the source. They have more sacks in 6 games than any other team has in 7 games. The top 5 sack leaders in the conference are from Harvard--4 d-lineman and 1 d-back.

Yeah our linemen & LBs are surprisingly speedy. Opposing QBs are sort of taken aback--they don't expect the big boys to be that athletic. In the Lafayette game the same player sacked the QB three times... on three consecutive downs.

Green26
October 28th, 2006, 09:32 AM
It's raining in Hanover (for the Harvard game), and expected to rain all day. Dartmouth has new turf, so field conditions should remain fine.

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Speaking of low scoring, one of the best games I never saw was Dartmouth's 3-0 victory over Yale in the Bowl, in about 1997. John Carney, the Dartmouth corner who is the Lt. Governor of Delaware, came from across the field, late in the game, to run down Spagnola who had broken away on a shorter pass that was turning into a long play. I'm a defensive guy, so love those defensive battles. I missed the game because, coming into the stadium, I was arrested, handcuffed, and hauled to the New Haven jail in a paddy wagon. Of course, it was a bum rap. The NH cops were fairly nice, and brought a radio to my cell so I could listen to the game. After I finally got bailed out, a cop going off duty saw me hitch-hiking near the jail, and stopped to give me a ride back to the stadium. I was a young lawyer on Wall St. at the time, and this event and another leads to my line that I've only been to court twice in my life, and both times I was the defendant.

I was at that game in 1977. I believe that Spags caught a deflected pass and brought the ball down to the Dartmouth 5. From there they ran Pagliaro 4 times with a minute or so left in the game and he got nothing. "Jake" Crothhamel (sp?), the Dartmouth coach, said Dartmouth stuffed that "Yale Luck" That was also the last game Yale lost that year.

It's also interesting that Yale reversed that score two years later defeating Dartmouth 3-0 in 1979.

YaleFootballFan
October 28th, 2006, 05:27 PM
With Yale's win over Columbia and Princeton loss at Cornell, Yale has sole possession of first place in the Ivy.

Yale's 4-0 record in the Ivy is their best start since 1989.

Off to Brown Stadium next week. I'll be there!

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Harvard and Princeton tied for 2nd behind Yale. Yale better not take Brown lightly after the Bears' win at Penn today.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Yale better not take Brown lightly after the Bears' win at Penn today.

IvyTalk,

I don't watch the Ivy League much, but I really enjoyed my early afternoon watching Ivy League ball between the Bears of Brown and Penn...

Would love to learn more about that 'Toast Toss' or whatever it's called at the end of the 3rd quarter. That was pretty neat...

Loved hearing them say the name "DiGiacomo"...

It was some good football with some true student-athletes. Would love to take in a big-time Ivy League game sometime...xsmileyclapx

Harvard Worship
October 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Would love to learn more about that 'Toast Toss' or whatever it's called at the end of the 3rd quarter. That was pretty neat...

The refrain of Penn's alma mater includes the line "here's a toast to dear old penn." If I recall properly it was meant to be a real toast (as in with a drink), but an alcohol ban spoiled that. Luckily the Penn kids are good sports & came up with a creative alternative: they throw toast! (the bread kind). They even have a "toast zamboni" to clean it up afterward. (some of the other ivy league schools are probably going to have to invest in a toast zamboni too-- at least I'd think so, since the Penn fans do the toast toss at our stadium too. At least it's better than the flour-throwing that the Harvard band does... i never understood that.)

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 10:14 PM
The refrain of Penn's alma mater includes the line "here's a toast to dear old penn." If I recall properly it was meant to be a real toast (as in with a drink), but an alcohol ban spoiled that. Luckily the Penn kids are good sports & came up with a creative alternative: they throw toast! (the bread kind). They even have a "toast zamboni" to clean it up afterward. (some of the other ivy league schools are probably going to have to invest in a toast zamboni too-- at least I'd think so, since the Penn fans do the toast toss at our stadium too. At least it's better than the flour-throwing that the Harvard band does... i never understood that.)

Awesome!

So, what exactly is a "toast zamboni"...? They talked about it, but I don't recall seeing it...:read:

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Yeah, the USD romp over Yale is looking better and better every week.... Of course we all know that USD could not possibly compete, let alone defeat a "real" I-AA team....LOL!!!!!!!!!:nod:

YaleFootballFan
October 29th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Awesome!

So, what exactly is a "toast zamboni"...? They talked about it, but I don't recall seeing it...:read:

Here's a picture of the "Toast Zamboni" at Franklin Field....

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~jdm2z/assets/images/db_images/db_DSCN08451.jpg

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Got to love it!

http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2005/092205/fortherecord.jpg

ngineer
October 29th, 2006, 11:48 PM

And here I thought it was because they thought they went to an 'upper crust' school....:rolleyes:

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2006, 11:51 PM
The Ivy League seems to have 3 level of teams Very Good- Harvard, Yale, Princeton Decent- Penn, Cornell, Brown Bad- Dartmouth and Columbia.

Harvard Worship
October 30th, 2006, 12:27 AM
The Ivy League seems to have 3 level of teams Very Good- Harvard, Yale, Princeton Decent- Penn, Cornell, Brown Bad- Dartmouth and Columbia.

Yup, but you could call Penn more of a "Not-Quite Very Good enough" than just a "Decent" ... It's a real bummer for them to lose two back-to-back OT games -- especially when both times they had a good chance to win in regulation. They also had that close loss to Villanova (Which my spell checker inexplicably wants to change to "Villa-Nova" -- if you use Safari check up on this & make sure I'm not just seeing things). This week's Penn-Princeton match-up is going to be VICIOUS. Both Penn and PU have got to be fired up after their respective losses this week. Yale and Harvard are going to reap the benefits of Banged-up "Killer P's" in two weeks. (hope I didn't just jinx it).